PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Lawrence

Elusive
17-06-2002, 05:29 PM
Lawrence linked with Palace
City midfielder Jamie Lawrence could be on his way to Crystal Palace, following his axing from the City squad last month.
The Jamaican international, whose season was interrupted by injuries, has been linked with a number of clubs in the last year, but he has previously said he would favour a move back to his roots, if he were to leave Bradford.
Lawrence has a young daughter in London, so would be keener on a move to a club down in the capital.
The 32-year-old midfielder has been linked with a move to Grimsby along with Eoin Jess and Gary Walsh, but as yet none of the players sacked by The Bantams have moved elsewhere.

I've posted this for its humour value. Teamtalk and accurate news appear to be mutually exclusive.... I sincerely hope

:p

sydney eagle
17-06-2002, 05:36 PM
Eoin Jess would be better thanks:)

OKnotOK
17-06-2002, 07:24 PM
I would take Jamie Lawrence over Eion Jess every single time.

Psychokiller
17-06-2002, 08:16 PM
Is this what we've finally been reduced to? Taking on cast-offs who even Grimsby aren't sure about signing?

BVB Bob
17-06-2002, 08:26 PM
Have to say that a group of us met Jamie Lawrence a couple of years ago on the train on the way back from somewhere. Thoroughly nice bloke who was still living in Wandsworth at the time. Can't remember whether he said he was a Palace fan or not, but he certainly said back then (when I think he was at Leicester) that he would love to play at Palace. Whether you rate him or not is a different question. Can't just employ someone cos he's a nice bloke.

Daddy Long
17-06-2002, 08:28 PM
Lawrence and Jess are both crap. Leave well alone

Thin on Top
17-06-2002, 08:33 PM
I think the target is actually Sid Lawrence, who will be employed by the club for counselling sessions for Ade after his similar knee operation.

Or maybe not.

Beanie
17-06-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
Is this what we've finally been reduced to? Taking on cast-offs who even Grimsby aren't sure about signing?

..or is it simply that Grimsby want them, but THEY don't want to go there?

I thought that Jess was off back to Scotland.

firesign
17-06-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by BVB Bob
Can't just employ someone cos he's a nice bloke.

Indeed, and nor should we NOT employ someone just because they've done time for armed robbery. However, he's rubbish anyway IMHO and would not anything to the squad - and I bet he's on loads of money.

Thin on Top
17-06-2002, 08:52 PM
"I thought that Jess was off back to Scotland."

Has Postman Pat got the sack ?

BVB Bob
17-06-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Thin on Top
"I thought that Jess was off back to Scotland."

Has Postman Pat got the sack ?

:D :D

Son of Shacker
17-06-2002, 10:22 PM
How about jamie oliver to cook the burgers

Jimbo ?
17-06-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller

I would have Jevons!

Jess would be ok
dont know much about Lawrence not young though

pete eagle
18-06-2002, 02:19 AM
saw him against Tottenham at white hart lane a couple of years back, he was impressive, scoring a good goal but he hasn't featured regularly for Bradford and i wouldn't want him at Palace

Elusive
18-06-2002, 02:28 AM
Was he the "pineapple on his head chap"? I can't remember.

Glazed Over
18-06-2002, 02:58 AM
I think you'll find that was Jason Lee, whilst he was at Forest.

Elusive
18-06-2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Glazed Over
I think you'll find that was Jason Lee, whilst he was at Forest.

Thanks I'd totally forgotten

RDSdaEAGLE
18-06-2002, 03:16 AM
That's Jason Lee your thinking of!

Gooders
18-06-2002, 09:44 AM
Jamie Lawrence was also a "pineapple on his head" bloke - in fact I think his did pre-date Jason Lee's.

Footballers of similar ability too.

None.

BUNGLE
18-06-2002, 03:00 PM
Can't say I have seen enough of him to judge and I expect that is the same for most people previously posting on this thread.

Cleon
18-06-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by OKnotOK
I would take Jamie Lawrence over Eion Jess every single time.

That would be the Eoin Jess who scored 14 goals from midfield last season. That we could have on a free.

OKnotOK
18-06-2002, 06:06 PM
Well I have seen Jamie Lawrence play. As I might have said before, my best mate at Uni is a Brafor season ticket holder and so I went along to a few games over the last few years with him.

Jamie Lawrence is hard-working, and very capable of scoring goals (definitely had a couple of seasons where he reached double figures for goals). He is creative as well. Only problem is that he is injury prone and quite old.

Eion Jess has never impressed me. And my Bradford mate assesses him as one of the worst players in the Bradford team. Now he exaggerates slightly I am sure. But he really doesn't rate Jess. And given he has watched him week in and week out for the last 3 years, I am willing to defer to his judgement.

Having said that, I would actually rather have neither of them. They are both old and neither are great passers of the ball -- which is what I feel we need most of all anyway.

Cleon
18-06-2002, 06:15 PM
Eion Jess has never impressed me. And my Bradford mate assesses him as one of the worst players in the Bradford team. Now he exaggerates slightly I am sure. But he really doesn't rate Jess. And given he has watched him week in and week out for the last 3 years, I am willing to defer to his judgement.

If the worst player in the Bradford team scores 14 goals in a season from midfield, then how come they languished just above the relegation zone all season.

And I assume he used to support Aberdeen if he has watched him week in and week out for the last three years - I believe Jess only joined Bradford around the same time as Jim Jeffries, eighteen months ago.

I know you are simply basing this on what your friend said, but my Bradford season-ticket holding friend also told me that Matt Clarke was a load of old guff.

OKnotOK
19-06-2002, 01:57 PM
I have to admit I have noticed a degree of niihilsm in Bradford city fans (perhaps to be expected given their current condition). But he continues to proclaim Eion Jess a terrible player. (I think they all slated Matt Clarke for being a git after the way he left them, but my mate thought the only problems with Matt Clarke as a keeper were that a) he wasn't as good as Gary Walsh and b) he always waits to the very very very last second before diving to pull off some spectacular save.)

He loves Jamie Lawrence cos he wears his heart on his sleeve and always gives 100% (I think the exact phrase he uses is "would run through bricks") and is capable of scoring goals and is a good honest guy (who was also born in Balham so might have some affinity for Palace).

But he sees Jess as a whinger and a weakling. A player who gives up far too easily. Who isn't really a team player and can't pass the ball.

Besides all which, it isn't really important whether we want Jess or Lawrence cos apparently Jess is going to be unveiled as a Dundee player today!

Cleon
19-06-2002, 04:52 PM
Hmm... well, I just asked my friend for his view, which was:

Jess is the biggest waste of space that ever existed. I despise him with a passion. Talented but bone idle and a complete woman.

Lawrence is not the most gifted of players but doesn't half give you 110% every game. A favourite of mine.

So, I guess that kind of ends my argument :hmph:

OKnotOK
19-06-2002, 05:26 PM
Well at least they are consistent in their utter hatred for a player who seems gifted and decent to most outsiders!

I don't really think we should be trying to get either of them anyway. Both in their 30s. Neither seem to possess the qualities we are really looking for in a midfielder (we need a creative midfielder to pair up with Aki but someone who is still a hardworker).

HappyLarry
21-06-2002, 08:14 PM
Teamtalk :

Boss in Lawrence talks

Trevor Francis has been in talks with former Bradford City midfield star Jamie Lawrence over a potential move to Selhurst Park.
Lawrence is looking for a new club after he was one of 16 players sacked by The Bantams after they were placed into administration.
The 32 year-old is looking to move back down south and is understood to have just bought a house in London.
He was born in Balham before drifting into non-league football with Cowes before signing for Sunderland.
His career has since taken him to Doncaster and Leicester City before he arrived at Valley Parade in 1997.
The Jamaican international would be a useful addition to the Palace squad if he could prove his fitness, having spent a lot of last season on the sidelines after suffering from a string of injuries.

OKnotOK
21-06-2002, 08:17 PM
Rivals.net are posting a similar story. But I think every thing about Bradford (and actually anything from Teamtalk!) should be taken with a pinch of salt. Apparently they will be announcing a takeover shortly and then the contracts of all those players who were released will need to be sorted out.

Latvian Eagle
21-06-2002, 08:57 PM
(I think they all slated Matt Clarke for being a git after the way he left them, but my mate thought the only problems with Matt Clarke as a keeper were that a) he wasn't as good as Gary Walsh and b) he always waits to the very very very last second before diving to pull off some spectacular save.)

a. What a ridiculous statement!

b. It's true, but it keeps me happy :D

Beanie
22-06-2002, 07:27 PM
Rivals.net are posting a similar story. But I think every thing about Bradford (and actually anything from Teamtalk!) should be taken with a pinch of salt. Apparently they will be announcing a takeover shortly and then the contracts of all those players who were released will need to be sorted out.

The players having been released will be under no obligation to sign a new deal with the new company. It will be up to them if they want to remain, or if they want to find something else. After being out on tehir ear, their motivation to play for Bradfors could be somewhat reduced. "Sorting out the contract" could amount to paying their redundancy money.

Having said that, I can't say I mad keen on the idea of Jamie Lawrence. He seems solid but nothing special and even at 32 doesn't seem to have the benefit of what you might see as an "old head".

Flying Higher
22-06-2002, 08:10 PM
Lawrence looks like a TF signing easy to handle honest mid table( at best player .) Jess on the other has the potential for higher things.

Celestial Empire
23-06-2002, 07:09 PM
Dead right.
What were we saying about TF wasting money on a bunch of mediocre, journeyman cast-offs ?
Still he could keep his fellow Bratfudonian Hopkin, company on the bench :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
SJ - just say NO !

BUNGLE
23-06-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
Dead right.
What were we saying about TF wasting money on a bunch of mediocre, journeyman cast-offs ?
Still he could keep his fellow Bratfudonian Hopkin, company on the bench :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
SJ - just say NO !

I'm not sure why some people have doubts about francis's transfer record, he probably has the best one of any of our recent managers.

Levski
23-06-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by BUNGLE

I'm not sure why some people have doubts about francis's transfer record, he probably has the best one of any of our recent managers.

Yep, that man Akinbiyi is poised to set the division alight!

:D

Although I like Symons and Granville, and I suppose Fleming is ok. Fact is, we haven't had a manager who is good in the transfer market since Bassett.

Jimbo ?
23-06-2002, 07:55 PM
It pains me to say it but Bruce wasnt too bad - popovic kirovski........

Lawrence isnt that bad - i admitt i would not be aiming at otherclubs cast offs - we should aim at Premier player who arent getting a game

BUNGLE
24-06-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?
It pains me to say it but Bruce wasnt too bad - popovic kirovski........

Kirovski the player who won't sign a new contract and plays for about 5 minutes a match? Also before he left he was trying to sign Dean Saunders and that Polish bloke that failed at Birmingham.

OKnotOK
24-06-2002, 02:28 PM
Bruce made some decent signings: Matt Clarke and Tony Popovic are the two most obvious ones. Vickers did his job well while available. I think Kirovski played decently for a patch and then has proved his true worth (i.e. very little) since Judas' departure.

I think Francis has made solid signing throughout on the other hand. Yes Akinbiyi has yet to prove himself, but I think we all believe he will once fit and confident again. Fleming is the best tackler we have at the club. He can pass, he can attack, his positional sense is miles better than Jamie Smith and he doesn't have a temprament that compares to Danny Mills. Granville was a solid signing and is comfortably the best left-back we have had available. Carasso also looks good cover and an improving keeper.

But I don't think that Jess or Lawrence are the calibre of players we should be looking for. As has been expressed a few times before, we are looking for a creative midfielder to sit with Aki. Neither fit the bill.

Will S
24-06-2002, 03:45 PM
There's a distinct art to working on a limited budget and both Coppell and Bruce made a number shrewd moves during their recent stints.
Ashley Cole and Mikael Forssell on loan (how inspired does that look now ?) virtually kept us up during administration, and a notable mention should also go to Terry Phelan. Bruce picked up Popovic and Kirovski for nothing, and later acquired Stern John for Brum, for a pittance of the fee we shelled out on AA.
I shouldn't think any of us are expecting Francis to spend too much this summer, but for some reason neither Ardley or Lawrence intrigue me in the same way as some of the above purchases did.
But I'm happy to be pleasantly surprised. Ardley has always been an excellent crosser of the ball (anyone else remember a peach of a cross he supplied Dean Holdsworth during a 4-0 walloping we suffered against the Dons a few years back ?) but ultimately the Wimbledon equivalent of Simon Rodger - which perhaps is no bad thing at all on consideration ! As for Lawrence, am I missing something but what does he provide us that we don't already have, or is he a sensational midfield schemer for Bradford reserves ?

sydnsteve
24-06-2002, 04:18 PM
I think Ardley might be OK. From, the admittedly little, I've seen of Lawrence, I don't think he will give us more than we have with Aki. However, there clearly will not be much money about for transfers, so it will be very hard to pick up the sort of midfielder we want. I am hoping Tommy Black comes back to form.

Beanie
24-06-2002, 05:13 PM
Can't help but be vastly under-whelmed by all the transfer talk at present. It tends to eminate from sources which can't get things right when there is a load going on in the season, so why should they get it right when most of everybody - players, manangers and probably agents - are lying around the swimming pools of the world at present?

It seems most clubs report back on or around 1st July for pre-season. Stories from then on will be much more interesting.

It wasn't me!
08-07-2002, 06:15 PM
know i'm a bit late but hey my info is good.

Jamie said he hopes to go to Palace as he wants to stay in London, he bought a house in Balham. Also he's agent is TF's son. If they are both happy with contracts offers and demands then i reckon we'd be seeing him!

Daddy Long
08-07-2002, 06:22 PM
I hope we don't see him. He has nothing different to offer us.

We need creativity! I saw that Vinny Samways is angling for a free away from Las parmas. A poor mans Eyal Berkovic but a player that would give us more options than the signing of Lawrence.

It wasn't me!
08-07-2002, 06:27 PM
I honestly believe i've got better skill than him. Although my mates have told me i'm being too harsh on him. They said he's very fit! Compared to the rest of the squad it shouldn't be that hard to be fitter than them.

Beanie
08-07-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
I hope we don't see him. He has nothing different to offer us.

We need creativity! I saw that Vinny Samways is angling for a free away from Las parmas. A poor mans Eyal Berkovic but a player that would give us more options than the signing of Lawrence.

Samways said on Sky that he has no desire to return to Premiership football (so one can assume he's not to keen in Div 1 either) as he is now well settled in Spain. What he actually wants to do is buy out his own contract so that he can sign for Sevilla, as he isn't too keen on second Div football - and Las Palmas have been relegated.

Daddy Long
08-07-2002, 07:11 PM
That puts an end to that one then :)

Celestial Empire
08-07-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!
know i'm a bit late but hey my info is good.

Jamie said he hopes to go to Palace as he wants to stay in London, he bought a house in Balham. Also he's agent is TF's son. If they are both happy with contracts offers and demands then i reckon we'd be seeing him!

Well Madame, all that sounds like additional good reasons not to sign him :eek:
So we are going to sell top players & fans favourites, and buy this journeyman, to do TF's son a favour are we ?
:grrr:

Elephant with mouse gyp
08-07-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire

Well Madame, all that sounds like additional good reasons not to sign him

Apart from the lives-in-Balham bit, you mean.

Gark Moldberg
08-07-2002, 09:59 PM
Despite having been 'sacked' he is still training with Bradford and has turned down a move to Sheff Utd (understandably). He is quoted in the Bradford Telegraph & Argus as saying:

"As long as I'm getting paid, I'm happy to go back..."

and talking about the situation at the club

"This could work in our favour because it's been us against the world. We've all been in it together and that might make for stronger team spirit"

Justy C
09-07-2002, 01:11 AM
I've nothing against Jamie Lawrence but I can't see anything that he is going to add to the midfield. I'd much rather the management worked on Tommy Black to bring him forward to the player that we know he can be.

lees eagles
20-08-2002, 10:13 PM
I have read he broke his ankle and is out for 3 months.

RichieG
20-08-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Cleon

That would be the Eoin Jess who scored 14 goals from midfield last season. That we could have on a free.

:D LOL

Hmm....there really is some value out there!

SHiggins
21-08-2002, 04:45 PM
NO to Lawrence - at 32 past his best and just an average 1st division player. We have enough of those in our squad. Only buy players who will strengthen the starting 11.

Htht-H
21-08-2002, 05:05 PM
Does any one know how many loan players a team can have - I for one would be happy to take on loan several Arsenal fringe players (if AFC will ever forgive us for the handling of Black,Gray and Cole). I am reliably informed that if we had offered 1,000,000 for Cole we could have had him.

It would help Arsenal, the player and us - win win win situation.

Failing that Chelsea, Spurs and even Fulham would do.

Jaffa
21-08-2002, 05:19 PM
The Cole story is absolute tosh.

Arsenal would never have released him - he was one of the jewels in their crown.

Barrett and Pennant would be nice but I doubt AFC will do business with Palace for a long long time.

Igor Iconic
21-08-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Htht-H

even Fulham would do.

How about John Harley he has just been told he surplus to requirements, oh yeah, and he might get sent down for being an accomplice in an ABH charge - but if he doesn't.....?

Htht-H
21-08-2002, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jaffa
[B]The Cole story is absolute tosh.

Arsenal would never have released him - he was one of the jewels in their crown.

To say that I was wrong re Cole is your opinion and only an opinion. I heard this from Ashley himself as he could not see himself getting into the Arsenal side whilst Silvino (apologies for the spelling) was in the side. If you remember when he first played for us, he was good but no where near good as he is now.

What about Chelses then? Too late for Cort but there must be others.

Batsta
21-08-2002, 05:55 PM
Ashley Cole considered a move to selhurst park, but was worried about the situation at the club (administration). Thus deciding to stay at Arsenal.

SHiggins
21-08-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa
The Cole story is absolute tosh.

Barrett and Pennant would be nice but I doubt AFC will do business with Palace for a long long time.

Must have missed something - what did we do to upset Arsenal?

Gooders
22-01-2003, 09:33 AM
Saw on teletext last night that Jamie Lawrence will be on his way to an as yet un-named club, probably by this weekend.

Is it us?

Mullins' replacement?

Dartford Lad
22-01-2003, 10:26 AM
He is more of an attacking winger so I wouldn't have thought we would want him.

Dartford Lad
22-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Walsall have been linked with a move to take Bradford's Jamie Lawrence to the Bescot Stadium.

Bantams boss Nicky Law admitted his counterpart Colin Lee had been in touch but nothing had so far developed.

Law told Bradford's official website: "I spoke to Walsall again at the end of last week but I'm not aware of them making an actual physical approach for Jamie."

Lee added: "I know about Jamie Lawrence but we've got no money to bring anyone in."

Reading and Stoke are also believed to be keen on the Jamaica international.

Beanie
22-01-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Htht-H
It would help Arsenal, the player and us - win win win situation.

Failing that Chelsea, Spurs and even Fulham would do.

I do not believe a club ever gains from taking loan players, except for emergency cover for specialists such as goal keepers. We spend time developing a player, building a team and a style, and then as soon as the player is doing well the loaning club says "thanks for developing our player - we'll have him back now" leaving the borrowing club in a hole and still short of a player.

Develop OUR players - it may take a little longer, but at least PALACE get the benefit of an improved player, not Arsenal or whoever.