PDA

View Full Version : Korean Striker Ahn Jung-Hwan

topper
20-06-2002, 01:30 PM
....any milage in palace taking a look. He's free....

Jimbo ?
20-06-2002, 03:13 PM
looked a decent player but after our china battle i cant see us going there again - you never know but cant see it happening

Cleon
20-06-2002, 04:30 PM
The impression I have is that he never impressed for Perugia, and its this 'insult' that has caused probably the easiest European Employment Tribunal case in its history.

g23
20-06-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
The impression I have is that he never impressed for Perugia, and its this 'insult' that has caused probably the easiest European Employment Tribunal case in its history.

Easy to gain that impression until you learn he was out of contract on June 30th anyway. Gaucci (Perugia chairman) makes grand statement, seeks popularity while in effect doing nothing.

pete eagle
20-06-2002, 11:27 PM
He's a hero in South Korea, i think he'll find a bigger club easily enough with his performances in the world cup. Or just go back to South Korea or Japan

Lords Eagle
21-06-2002, 12:59 AM
Let's get him, just think of the marketing possibilities, he's now reached deity status!! With Leesaw as well we'll be the most popular side in the far east:moo:

Neckinger Eagle
21-06-2002, 01:01 AM
I read in the "Evening Standard" today that he was only on loan to Perugia anyway, and that he's contracted to a Korean team called "I.cons" (or something)... anybody know?

Jaffa
21-06-2002, 01:01 AM
I reckon he`ll go somewhere pretty decent in Europe.

pete eagle
21-06-2002, 01:06 AM
the Pusan Icons or something along those lines

Crystal Eagle1
21-06-2002, 01:21 AM
Let's get him, just think of the marketing possibilities, he's now reached deity status!! With Leesaw as well we'll be the most popular side in the far east

your right there mate this would be a big investment for both palace and korea

BenCouchman
21-06-2002, 01:28 AM
Would br a great signing but we thought it was bad when Fan went for a 3rd of a season but South Korea have played an average of a game every two weeks in the last year. Not many clubs would accept that.

Also feel a bigger team may take a gamble on him.

What?
21-06-2002, 05:20 AM
I think we should get him! Why not? Lets do it! We might as well! What Can go wrong?

LLCOOLSTEVE
21-06-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by What?
I think we should get him! Why not? Lets do it! We might as well! What Can go wrong?

LOL never gonna happen! :rolleyes:

Flying Higher
22-06-2002, 12:06 AM
I understand that the largest Korean community in Britain is in New Malden - so could generate some local interest.

clubbruggekvfc
22-06-2002, 12:21 AM
We've more chance of signing Chaka K Ahn.

Gooders
22-06-2002, 12:59 AM
If he hasn't been able to get into the Italian style of game, he would stand no chance whatsoever of making it in English football.

BenCouchman
22-06-2002, 04:15 PM
Dennis Bergkamp never suited the Italian style of play and was quite quickly sold by Inter.

He has proved your opinion totally wrong. He was a huge success in Engand and still is, all at a higher level than Palace.

Ahn would be a great signing for palace.

The only question would be his international commitments

c_block_lad
22-06-2002, 04:16 PM
I would perfer Fan Zhiyi back.

atillio
22-06-2002, 04:21 PM
he's one of those only good for his country players - live veron but not as good

Sir JB
22-06-2002, 04:27 PM
So if we did go for him why exactly would he want to join us? :confused: Especially with the interest from bigger clubs...

Lords Eagle
22-06-2002, 05:55 PM
What do people think of their No. 4, something Jo, he was brilliant against Spain, and the Koreans work rate is prodiguous.

Lords Eagle
22-06-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Sir JB
So if we did go for him why exactly would he want to join us? :confused: Especially with the interest from bigger clubs...

What other bigger clubs have shown interest?

congress
22-06-2002, 06:29 PM
They commented this morning on the game, that he is already being touted around English clubs for a fee of £1million.

New Malden does have the largest Korean community in England but I cant see them flocking to Selhurst Park unless they win the cup.

metoo
22-06-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by BenCouchman
Would br a great signing but we thought it was bad when Fan went for a 3rd of a season but South Korea have played an average of a game every two weeks in the last year. Not many clubs would accept that.

I would doubt that South Korea would ever play as many matches again, and certainly not in the year or two following the World Cup, before qualifying begins again (at least, I'm assuming that qualifying doesn't start for a while in the AFC).
Playing so many of warm-up matches is not abnormal for a nation without much World Cup experience or pedigree, as the US did the same leading up to the '94 tournament. Once players inevitably go abroad as a result of their play in the tournament, playing tons of friendly matches not really possible, nor is it necessary.

Neckinger Eagle
22-06-2002, 11:28 PM
I'm not an expert on Asian Football, but surely the South Koreans would be eligible to play in such tournaments as the Asian Championships, the Olympic Games, the Asian Games, perhaps the Confederation Cup? I think that any non-European international may be away for a long time.

pete eagle
22-06-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Lords Eagle
What do people think of their No. 4, something Jo, he was brilliant against Spain, and the Koreans work rate is prodiguous.

Hong Myong Bo - the Korean sweeper and captain with over 100 apperances for the Koreans

Neckinger Eagle
22-06-2002, 11:38 PM
Honh M B looked good, so he obviously would never sign for us :)

Gooders
23-06-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by BenCouchman
Dennis Bergkamp never suited the Italian style of play and was quite quickly sold by Inter.

He has proved your opinion totally wrong.

What on earth has Bergkamp got to do with it?

And why on earth would a player who is about to play in the World Cup semi-final against Germany join Crystal Palace?

Get real.

Neckinger Eagle
23-06-2002, 12:26 AM
I think the Dennis Bergkamp reference is just an example of a player who was a failure in Italy, but a success in England.

It's a good example, too. Bergkamp played for Inter and Arsenal - teams at roughly the same level of expectation. The Korean chap played for Perugia, a yo-yo club in the Palace tradition.

I don't think anybody is seriously suggesting we sign Dennis Bergkamp.

Unfortunately,anybody who draws attention to himself at the World Cup automatically prices himself out of the market for Palace.

I see that Birmingham have signed Cisse of Senegal. Just think, he could have been playing for us if Bruce had stayed, now his agent probably wouldn't even get out of bed to phone Messrs Francis and Jordan :(

I wouldn't expect any World Cup stars to be playing in red'n'blue for a while.

Gooders
23-06-2002, 12:31 AM
After I heard today that Brum had signed Cisse, I watched his performance quite closely.

He looked like Senegals worst player. :p

Neckinger Eagle
23-06-2002, 12:33 AM
I agee, I particularly enjoyed the shot Cisse put into orbit! :)

LLCOOLSTEVE
23-06-2002, 02:08 PM
Says the Sunday People........"South Korean world cup sensation Ahn Jung-Hwan could be winging his way to the Premiership with West Ham"

Jimbo ?
23-06-2002, 02:55 PM
I think we would be a bit hopeful that he would come to us in D1 - i also heard he was going to scotland (probably Dundee) as they have all the other strange named foreigners!!

Have brum really spent 4.5M in Cisse - they will be back in D1 next year!!

Sir JB
23-06-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Sir JB

Originally posted by Gooders

And why on earth would a player who is about to play in the World Cup semi-final against Germany join Crystal Palace?

Get real.

Thats the point I tried to get across :)

Gooders
23-06-2002, 09:44 PM
And get it across you did Sir JB, very well indeed.

It's just that I have a very poor attention span.

RDSdaEAGLE
23-06-2002, 09:56 PM
Brum will have a seriously crap midfield...

nice boy Robbie Savage, and a bit of a Cisse!

Sir JB
23-06-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
And get it across you did Sir JB, very well indeed.

It's just that I have a very poor attention span.

Oh no, I wasn't saying "somebody has already posted that" :D Just saying if people didn't understand me, thats what I meant... :) I didn't word it well.

Ian of Chatham
23-06-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by clubbruggekvfc
We've more chance of signing Chaka K Ahn.
Yes, I go along with that and there ain't nobody who can convince me otherwise.

metoo
23-06-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Neckinger Eagle
I'm not an expert on Asian Football, but surely the South Koreans would be eligible to play in such tournaments as the Asian Championships, the Olympic Games, the Asian Games, perhaps the Confederation Cup? I think that any non-European international may be away for a long time.

Obviously there are other tournaments in which Asian players could participate, plus, I'm sure there will be birthdays and weddings back in their home countries that the players would also like to return home for, not to mention that the lawns at their homes would probably need to be mowed on a weekly basis. But if players want to be employed by foreign clubs, I would hope they would understand that they can't be flitting off for long periods of time if they want to stay employed.
My point is, I doubt that South Korea will again be able to have their players in a training camp for months on end, as they did before this World Cup, if their players are employed by European clubs. If a federation wants what's best for it's players, it must try to work around the players' club schedules, or they risk negatively affecting each player's status at his club, greatly reducing the player's minutes in competitive matches, and therefore retarding his development.
Admittedly Iím speaking from an American perspective, so it could be different for other countries, but once American players started going abroad, these players had to pick and chose when they would return for international matches, for fear of falling out of favor with their club managers. Your Mr. Berhalter had to make such a decision this passed season, and Claudio Reyna is considering retiring from the US team, so that he can concentrate on his career, and these are just 2 minor examples.
I'm sure (at least I hope) that this is something that would be ironed out before a club would even consider signing such a player.

Psychokiller
24-06-2002, 12:15 AM
Are we signing Bin Wang King too?