PDA

View Full Version : I wish this was true - Adomah

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Sceagle
14-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Got this from the Bristol City forum. Typical grape vine stuff:
Has anyone else heard this rumour? I know someone who used to work at Palace and he told me today the following:

Palace willing to offer 300k, Gabbidon and Wright for Adomah. Any truth at all (I'm guessing no) or just rubbish?

Imagine if this was true!

Cake and Eat It
14-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Rubbish I'd suspect, but he'd be a great buy

Vic Eagle
14-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Sounds like a really good wind up from that 'someone who used to work at Palace'......

Cake and Eat It
14-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Although he's going to be away on international duty for the African Cup of Nations you suspect...

Harley
14-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Rubbish I'd suspect, but he'd be a great buy

He is a very good player with great pace.

Biggineagle
14-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Like we need another winger

JAS78
14-11-2012, 07:11 PM
I know nothing about him.

But wiki has just told me Stevie Coppell was impressed and actually gave him his brizzle debut.

asante_eagle
14-11-2012, 07:22 PM
no he won't
he will not get into the Ghana team!!

asante_eagle
14-11-2012, 07:24 PM
He has played but is not in the managers plans at the moment. Andre ayew and Christian Atsu are Ghanas wingers of choice at the moment. Wow i can actually contribute something to this wonderful board :D

brooklynlou
14-11-2012, 07:37 PM
It woildnt be a bad trade / loan move from their point of view. They get money for the kid, and it would improve their defense - which sucks. Both Wrights and Gabbidons contract expire at the end of the year so its not a long term hit if they go down.

ADH
14-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Like we need another winger we do need some cover in that area.. having adomah as cover would be great.. but can't see it happening

BBK
14-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Definitely a troll.

SilentAssassin
14-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Would be great cover....

AJ's right boot
14-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Not sure if im being whooshed but..... we 100% need another winger!! Bolaise and Zaha cant play every game until the end of the season.

sci-dogg
14-11-2012, 08:38 PM
He is quality. His performance against us was the best of any player this season. He is worth a lot more than that!! Would be a cracking signing though!

Imagine us lining up with:

----------------------------------Murray-------------------------

--------------Zaha---------------Bolasie---------------Adomah

---------------------KG---------------------Jedi-------------------

and building the likes of Williams, Sow, Allesani into that team. Now that really would scare the shit out of any opposition!

carter
15-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Could see it being true if they hadn't of mentioned Gabbidon in it. We do need another winger. As good as Wilf and Yannick are they can't just assume they will start every game. Plus what happens when some sh*t full back comes along and clatters one of them. Healthy competition needed for these two

GodstoneEagle
15-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Holloway complimented him in press conference last Thursday but he'd cost serious I think

Elgood
15-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Sort of player who we`d look as and when our hand is forced on Zaha. Not likely to be allowed to leave for anything under 2m I suspect.

Neillo's Son
15-11-2012, 04:28 AM
I'd rather wait until the summer, if they continue their fantastic run of losses we could pick him up a lot cheaper regardless of the division we're in.

They're not going to sell one of their best players whilst in a relegation battle and the rumour itself is utter rubbish.

Salisbury
15-11-2012, 06:18 AM
First ITK for a while though!

CP Satellite
15-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Wow i can actually contribute something to this wonderful board :D

Kill a thousand today, ten thousand will come tomorrow! Welcome Asante!

Will S
15-11-2012, 07:01 AM
We're linked with a 2.5 million pound bid for him in Jan if we sell Wilf... in today's Mirror.

Lords Eagle
15-11-2012, 08:59 AM
I'd forgotten we have Gabiddon :D

The Omen
15-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Another paper reporting this morning that we are to bid 2.5m for Adomah if we lose Zaha in January.

The Omen
15-11-2012, 09:02 AM
We're linked with a 2.5 million pound bid for him in Jan if we sell Wilf... in today's Mirror.

Ah - beaten to it :)

cpfcben
15-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Don't sell Wilf would be a good start!

cpfcben
15-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Next.

Absolution
15-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Throwing it out there.. If our options are get promoted and keep Wilf or stay in this league and sell him could we not tactically buy his 'replacement' in Jan and give ourselves 3-4 months of having both players.

If we then give ourselves a better chance of promotion, brilliant. We could afford the new player with Premiership money. If not Wilf goes and you have a new winger who is already a part of the squad.

Gamble possibly, but could work?

Excowboy
15-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Throwing it out there.. If our options are get promoted and keep Wilf or stay in this league and sell him could we not tactically buy his 'replacement' in Jan and give ourselves 3-4 months of having both players.

If we then give ourselves a better chance of promotion, brilliant. We could afford the new player with Premiership money. If not Wilf goes and you have a new winger who is already a part of the squad.

Gamble possibly, but could work?

Sounds good to me. I get the impression there's a reluctance to buy another winger because it might prevent Kyle De Silva from getting enough game time to be brought through. That's a good enough reason IMO considering he's highly rated, but as he and Joniesta have had injury trouble and we've got such a rare chance of promotion, it might be worth bringing someone else in.

V.Meldrew
15-11-2012, 09:51 AM

How the hell does a s*it rag know we are going to bid 2.5m in Jan ?
Journalism gone bonkers !

Latvian
15-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Always rated this bloke, would provide good cover but probably cost more than Done. How long do they each have left on their contracts?

PauLo
15-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Bristol City fans thought that Bolassie wasn't anywhere near as good as Adomah. If they have that logic, Adomah can't be very good!

zonin2000
15-11-2012, 10:34 AM
It woildnt be a bad trade / loan move from their point of view. They get money for the kid, and it would improve their defense - which sucks. Both Wrights and Gabbidons contract expire at the end of the year so its not a long term hit if they go down.
It's not like in the US where you take over a player's contract. Wright and Gabbidon would negotiate new contracts, in this scenario.

Also, Adomah is worth much more than that. This would be a terrible piece of business for Brizzle.

GreatGonzo
15-11-2012, 01:31 PM
18 months left on his contract. Apparently very good friends with Bolasie.

Sceagle
15-11-2012, 01:41 PM
It won't happen. I'd rather we just kept Zaha.

DaveP
15-11-2012, 01:42 PM
There could be something in this even without Wilf going.

Adomah is apparently good friends with Bolasie as Gonzo says, also he is a London boy having come through at Barnet. Bristol City are only going one way at the moment which is downwards, would imagine he will be looking at his options.

GreatGonzo
15-11-2012, 01:43 PM
It won't happen. I'd rather we just kept Zaha.

We need another. Having 3 good wider players means that Wilf and Yannick won't need to start every game, and we can pose different questions to teams with fresher players.

maestro
15-11-2012, 01:47 PM
it would be a fantastic buy in january

Gazza2
15-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Top player in this division. Has been for couple of seasons. Remember we moved Clyne over to LB one game in order to mark him. Would be a decent cheapish replacement for Zaha when he goes. And would still leave plenty of the Zaha cash to cover operating losses and sign another player or two or put towards new ground.

Stavros 69
15-11-2012, 03:28 PM
He'd do nicely for the bench.

wedgetail
15-11-2012, 03:35 PM
rotating 2 wingers for 3 positions isn't the worst thing that could happen, but it all depends on what can afford.

AJ
15-11-2012, 03:38 PM
He'd do nicely for the bench.

No joke here. We need a strong bench to get promotion. No disrespect to anyone, but, the last couple of games the bench has looked creatively weak with only Moritz. We need a few players on there who can change a game. Moritz, Williams and Adomah would be great.

Hazzacpfc
15-11-2012, 03:39 PM
If they're still scraping the bottom of the league in January and we're on course for the play-offs at least, then the move makes sense.

But without selling Wilf there's surely no way we could afford him? And since we're not selling Wilf, it's a non-starter.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
15-11-2012, 03:53 PM
He is certainly best mates with Bolasie but he would certainly cost a lot of money too. Not sure if we would be able to fund this but he's a very good player.

Sceagle
15-11-2012, 06:28 PM
We need another. Having 3 good wider players means that Wilf and Yannick won't need to start every game, and we can pose different questions to teams with fresher players.
Too expensive though I would have thought.

Malarkey
15-11-2012, 06:28 PM
He started every game over Bolasie at Bristol City, it would be hard for him to be a sub while Bolasie starts lol

Harley
15-11-2012, 06:57 PM
He started every game over Bolasie at Bristol City, it would be hard for him to be a sub while Bolasie starts lol

True.

joe walker
15-11-2012, 07:48 PM
He's from around this way.

I say that, his cousin worked with me in Bromley.

Mr Palace
15-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Great player - we'd do very well to get him. Choosing two from him, zaha and bolasie would be amazing. Or zaha could be given the free role behind Murray.

Cant see it happening necessarily but it would be a fantastic signing.

may blunderer
15-11-2012, 08:53 PM
It would as much as guarantee promotion as long as we did not have any injuries to key players or self implode in any way. He's probably the second best attacking player in the Championship behind Wilf. Absolute quality.

Beanie
15-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Does he have the confidence to believe he can get in ahead of Bolaise? That would be the question.

Mr Palace
15-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Ready made replacement for wilf if we dont go up and he leaves. He's a very good player at this level and would provide us with the best selection of wingers in the league.

lewisham eagle
15-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Would be happy with him for a replacement for Wilf should we get a stupid big money offer for him. Obviously no chance of happening in January in less Wilf goes.

Seaside Eagle
16-11-2012, 12:08 AM
It would as much as guarantee promotion as long as we did not have any injuries to key players or self implode in any way. He's probably the second best attacking player in the Championship behind Wilf. Absolute quality.

Yup. Perfect replacement for Wilf when he goes, and with the cash we get we'll have absolutely no problem affording him. Unless of course we go up, in which case we can have them both anyway! :lux:

Nigelbrag
16-11-2012, 10:07 AM
A much better option to bring in would be Antonia from Sheff Wed.

Sceagle
16-11-2012, 10:09 AM
He's pants. League 1 level.

GreatGonzo
16-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Not quite as proven at this level and only just gone there from Reading so i guess more difficult to attract.

Adomah is also over 6ft so fits in well with out taller team.

Think Adomah would push Bolasie out of the starting line up but would suggest that the 3 winger would all play bits of the games when they are fit and would rotate a bit to keep them fresh.

Would be a VERY bold move to buy him in January but surely the fee would reflect expectation on promotion and be a lower fee now and a bigger bonus in the summer.

Selhurst Celtic
16-11-2012, 10:52 AM
I would be a wee bit shocked if Palace were to purchase Adomah. Highly rated by the Bristol City fans I spoke to last season who were hoping that he would develop into their version of Zaha.

smudgerseagles
16-11-2012, 12:25 PM
We defo need more cover on the wings more than any other position IMO. Our run has all been about width and service to FFS, so cover on the wings is crucial.

I imagine Bolasie would need the full SP on this guy

TheInsideLeft
16-11-2012, 12:34 PM

Sceagle
16-11-2012, 12:41 PM
I'd be so gutted for Bolasie if Adomah came in and pushed him out the team :( But high quality from the bench is what is needed in teams that have their eye on promotion.

Madden
16-11-2012, 12:58 PM
With Keith Millen knowing him well from his time at Bristol City, there could be something in this. He bought Bolasie as cover for him and said at the time
"Not only is he a bit quicker than Albert, he is also more powerful," added Millen. "Yannick is the kind of player who can come on and make a difference, someone who can potentially change a game."

smileysmith
16-11-2012, 12:58 PM
I'd be astonished if we got him.

orp pisshead1
16-11-2012, 02:02 PM
I'd be astonished if we got him.

Why?
Some of our support really need to raise their "footballing self esteem" palace is a big name in english football still and being top of league will only enhance this. He plays in same division Ffs and his team are currently in bottom 3. Rant over:D

Jim Cannon
16-11-2012, 03:23 PM
I'd be so gutted for Bolasie if Adomah came in and pushed him out the team :( But high quality from the bench is what is needed in teams that have their eye on promotion.
Agree. But apart from this thread I'm not aware of any evidence this is going to happen anyway

Sceagle
16-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Agree. But apart from this thread I'm not aware of any evidence this is going to happen anyway
Well there is The Mirror article as well now, but I agree that it won't happen.

smileysmith
16-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Why?
Some of our support really need to raise their "footballing self esteem" palace is a big name in english football still and being top of league will only enhance this. He plays in same division Ffs and his team are currently in bottom 3. Rant over:D
More to do with cost than anything else.

orp pisshead1
16-11-2012, 05:18 PM
More to do with cost than anything else.

Then it comes down to time left on contract because the board have proved they'll invest if it's right.

Crunchie
16-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Then it comes down to time left on contract because the board have proved they'll invest if it's right.

Keith Millen would know this. He would also know his minimum release clause (if he has one). ;)

orp pisshead1
16-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Keith Millen would know this. He would also know his minimum release clause (if he has one). ;)

Great points, one worry would be if he's signed new one as i think he's been there a while now.

Malarkey
16-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Great points, one worry would be if he's signed new one as i think he's been there a while now.
Ah well, he will know Ince's if he has one :p

Harley
16-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Exactly.

Lord Flange
16-11-2012, 07:59 PM
I don't think money would be a huge problem. If we were to splash the cash for some attacking cover, money can be recouped either by promotion or selling Zaha end of season if we fail to make it.

Not so much of a gamble really.

britabroad
16-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Notlob would pay over the odds for him. Seeing as they couldn't afford Wilf, DF would certainly look for this kind of deal.

pauldrulez
16-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Notlob would pay over the odds for him. Seeing as they couldn't afford Wilf, DF would certainly look for this kind of deal.
Not for another 12 months. He has to play awful football for 12 months or so yet

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-11-2012, 12:18 AM
For the record i think Adomah's end product is very good, much better finisher than Bolasie at the moment and good final ball.

Still very much doubt we will get him although yes the Millen link could make it slightly, vaguely possible.

palace910
19-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Yes please he would be great cover for our wingers at the moment and we could build him up to be a replacement for Wilf if he leaves. We have all seen how affective it has been having two pacy wingers, also he is great mates with Bolaise.
SIGN HIM UP HOLLOWAY

Mickey Gilley
20-11-2012, 06:00 AM
He's from ghana and has international caps. I wonder if he'll be involved in the ACON?

asante_eagle
20-11-2012, 07:26 AM
At the moment he is not in the managers plans. That could change.

Mickey Gilley
20-11-2012, 12:27 PM
At the moment he is not in the managers plans. That could change.

Hmmm...Bolasie and Zaha both possibly going. If we sign a winger in January then we couldn't sign one that's going too!

Seems very unlikely at the moment that all 3 would, but if we are interested then the nightmare scenario of losing both our wingers and then signing and losing Adomah too would need to be monitored.

hdeagle
22-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Bolasie is not going to the African Nations Cup and Wilf has recently changed his home Twitter page from Crystal Palace and England Under 21 to England International.

Hopefully he sees his future as playing for England.

sci-dogg
22-11-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't see why Bolasie couldn't play in the same team as Adomah, with Wilf given the role that Moritz and Garvan have been playing. This would give Wilf more freedom and would terrorise defences with pace and skill from every part of the pitch.

With Jedinak and KG sitting we would retain stability whilst being able to fluidly rotate Bolasie, Adomah, Wilf, Williams, Moritz between 3 attacking positions. All 5 of these players are capable of playing in the Premiership, and would present us with the depth of squad we need to achieve automatic promotion.

If we could have no other signing in Jan I pray it is this one.

GreatGonzo
22-11-2012, 04:54 PM
I don't see why Bolasie couldn't play in the same team as Adomah, with Wilf given the role that Moritz and Garvan have been playing. This would give Wilf more freedom and would terrorise defences with pace and skill from every part of the pitch.

Wilf isn't good enough yet to play that role. His decision making is not as good as teh other players whos technique, timing and decision making are key for the way we have played. He is also not as good defensively as the other 2. Why change a winning formula?

Eagle96
22-11-2012, 04:58 PM

With Jedinak and KG sitting we would retain stability whilst being able to fluidly rotate Bolasie, Adomah, Wilf, Williams, Moritz between 3 attacking positions. All 5 of these players are capable of playing in the Premiership, and would present us with the depth of squad we need to achieve automatic promotion.

If we could have no other signing in Jan I pray it is this one.

To play in the hole you have to be very smart. I'm not saying Wilf isn't, but Mortiz, Garvan and Williams all know when to release the ball and what through ball to play, Wilf doesn't.

Perhaps when he learns when to release the ball he'll play that role, but until then, he'll probably always be a winger. Wilf's intelligent on the wing but that's completely different to being intelligent in the hole.

Plus, players out wide get more of the ball, and I want Wilf on the ball as much as possible...

Sceagle
22-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Wilf is a winger and always will be.

sci-dogg
22-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Wilf isn't good enough yet to play that role. His decision making is not as good as teh other players whos technique, timing and decision making are key for the way we have played. He is also not as good defensively as the other 2. Why change a winning formula?

I am not advocating changing a winning formula, but we cannot expect the current crop of players to play every game for the rest of the season. Adomah would be a superb addition to the squad.

We don't play Moritz or Garvan for their defensive capability, which is just as well as they don't have any. I think Wilf is more than capable of playing that role in this league, and if we are to go up, I would rather give him the opportunity to develop his decision making in the Championship than the Prem.

Can you imagine how stretched Championship defences would get after having Wilf, Bolasie and Admomah running at them for 90 minutes, not to mention having to cope with Murray's movement!

Adomah is also better defensively than Wilf so if anything we would improve from a defensive perspective. We would also add more pace to the core of our team, as if you were being very critical, you could point out that a central spine of Murray, Garvan/Moritz, KG, Jedinak, Delaney, Ramage is very slow.

Just to reiterate that this would just add another option to our squad. My preference would clearly be to play Williams behind Murray.

GreatGonzo
22-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Can you imagine how stretched Championship defences would get after having Wilf, Bolasie and Admomah running at them for 90 minutes, not to mention having to cope with Murray's movement!

I would imagine not very.

I would rather play against Adomah, Zaha and Bolasie than 2 of them and a playmaker like Garvan or Moritz.

Wilf would be in the congestion of the centre of the park and when he attracts players like flies it will not open up the devestating space he does at the moment.

When he recieves the ball he will want to take a touch or 2 and then try to beat his man, Garvan and Moritz let the ball do the owrk a lot of the time.

Zaha should play up against the back line, either as a winger or striker and IMO playing in a front 3 swapping sides is perfect for him.

sci-dogg
22-11-2012, 05:19 PM
I would imagine not very.

I would rather play against Adomah, Zaha and Bolasie than 2 of them and a playmaker like Garvan or Moritz.

Wilf would be in the congestion of the centre of the park and when he attracts players like flies it will not open up the devestating space he does at the moment.

When he recieves the ball he will want to take a touch or 2 and then try to beat his man, Garvan and Moritz let the ball do the owrk a lot of the time.

Zaha should play up against the back line, either as a winger or striker and IMO playing in a front 3 swapping sides is perfect for him.

I probably agree, but having seen the effect that adding Bolasie has had on the team, diverting attention away from Zaha, and stretching teams across the whole width of the pitch, I am greedy to add more pace!

Atm Zaha is clearly better out wide, and Williams and Moritz in the hole. Garvan is not a Premiership player IMO.

Regardless of this, Adomah would be a sensational signing.

GreatGonzo
22-11-2012, 05:40 PM
I probably agree, but having seen the effect that adding Bolasie has had on the team, diverting attention away from Zaha, and stretching teams across the whole width of the pitch, I am greedy to add more pace!

Atm Zaha is clearly better out wide, and Williams and Moritz in the hole. Garvan is not a Premiership player IMO.

Regardless of this, Adomah would be a sensational signing.

Agree with those points.

Not sure how Garvan will take to the Prem. He will get that little bit extra time on the ball which will benefit him, but the game is also played so quickly his weaknesses such as mobility and speed will be highlighted too.

If you played Palace and face Zaha and Bolasie and knew Adomah was on teh bench you would be worried. Even if you discovered Zaha was being rested you would hardly enjoy the knowledge it was Bolasie and Adomah. So he would be a great signing.

Liam_Cpfc
22-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Would be a awesome signing, but in reality he's too expensive.

GreatGonzo
22-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Would be a awesome signing, but in reality he's too expensive.

How much is he? He would not be a cheap option but not sure how much he might cost and how much of that could be offset by a promotion clause to pay more if we go up and can therefore afford it.

Certainly if they go down this year, he will have 12 months left and they will be unlikely to recieve what they could in January.

Malarkey
22-11-2012, 06:08 PM
has he signed yet?

Liam_Cpfc
22-11-2012, 06:30 PM
How much is he? He would not be a cheap option but not sure how much he might cost and how much of that could be offset by a promotion clause to pay more if we go up and can therefore afford it.

Certainly if they go down this year, he will have 12 months left and they will be unlikely to recieve what they could in January.

I'd say at least 1.5m. He signed a 3 year deal recently. But who knows I guess.. This is the same club which let Bolaise leave for 250k! Hope they go down, so then he would be cheaper.

palace nutter
22-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Would be good to have him, then we'd have three quality wingers.

Would be good for competition for places, always allow us to chnage things/ cover for injuries/suspensions!

Jim Cannon
22-11-2012, 07:17 PM
I hear he has the same agent as DaNuge and Ross McCormack and will sign once deals for those two are completed

orp pisshead1
23-11-2012, 08:18 AM
I'd say at least 1.5m. He signed a 3 year deal recently. But who knows I guess.. This is the same club which let Bolaise leave for 250k! Hope they go down, so then he would be cheaper.

Even though that's a large fee it would be coverd by wilfs eventual departure so it would be sound investment rather than a gamble imo.

GreatGonzo
23-11-2012, 10:27 AM
New contract signed at the end of 2010-11 so coming up to half way through it now, and probably unlikely to sign a new one, will be on a free transfer at the end of it.

glaziers fan
23-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Wilf is a winger and always will be.

I disagree. If he keeps getting stronger, and bulking out, and his finishing improves, and he is playing in a top side, I could see him playing through the middle.

I'd just give him a completely free role and let him run at the centre backs as well as the full backs.

HARRY MONK
23-11-2012, 10:43 AM
I disagree. If he keeps getting stronger, and bulking out, and his finishing improves, and he is playing in a top side, I could see him playing through the middle.

I'd just give him a completely free role and let him run at the centre backs as well as the full backs.
THIS

Sceagle
23-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Skilful players are always wingers. Look at Ronaldo, Neymar...

DHeagle
23-11-2012, 01:55 PM

Ronaldo has played down the middle more recently with Real Madrid, and Neymar, similar to Walcott when he signed for Arsenal, got stuck out on the wing because he was fast, but as far as I am aware, they both played up front in younger age groups. Much like one Sean Scannell.

The idea is that these players get more time on the ball out on the wings, and that is where they have time to turn and run at players. As a striker, much more of the game is played facing away from the goal, which is not where you want people like Wilf to be. Until his finishing and decision making is of a good enough standard, I think he is more use get at full-backs and breaking into the box.

Sceagle
23-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Ronaldo has played down the middle more recently with Real Madrid, and Neymar, similar to Walcott when he signed for Arsenal, got stuck out on the wing because he was fast, but as far as I am aware, they both played up front in younger age groups. Much like one Sean Scannell.

The idea is that these players get more time on the ball out on the wings, and that is where they have time to turn and run at players. As a striker, much more of the game is played facing away from the goal, which is not where you want people like Wilf to be. Until his finishing and decision making is of a good enough standard, I think he is more use get at full-backs and breaking into the box.
Ronaldo and Neymar both play left wing (granted it's in a very attacking sense) week in week out for their clubs. They get a free roam but they tend to stick to the side. This is how I feel Wilf should play. They both still score loads so it's not a problem.

DHeagle
23-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Ronaldo and Neymar both play left wing (granted it's in a very attacking sense) week in week out for their clubs. They get a free roam but they tend to stick to the side. This is how I feel Wilf should play. They both still score loads so it's not a problem.

Fair point, I think Wilf has been playing like that in more recent times. I noticed it up at Peterborough, when we had the ball, we were right up on the halfway line with Delaney and Ramage pushing wider and us pushing a full-back on on whichever side we had the ball. Jedi was sitting at the top of the centre circle, and Murray around the edge of the box. The other four (Wilf, Bolasie, Moritz and KG) were roaming wherever they wanted, often Wilf and Yannick were popping up in the same area of the pitch and interchanging short passes. You're absolutely right, this is how we should be playing because the players all have the tactical understanding and the skill, and it's a nightmare to defend against, because full-backs could pick up Yannick or Wilf, let them drift inside and suddenly one of the others turns up and stretches the defence in the other direction.

More of this is we will cause problems for everyone we play.

Billy Rhino
23-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Whose that little Argie bloke who plays for those Spanish Palace wannabies? He's not a bad player and has the odd trick or two.

Sceagle
23-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Whose that little Argie bloke who plays for those Spanish Palace wannabies? He's not a bad player and has the odd trick or two.
He is a completely different player than Zaha though. Zaha will never be like him.

Malarkey
23-11-2012, 08:20 PM
He is a completely different player than Zaha though. He will never be like Zaha.
EFA

sci-dogg
05-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Bristol City announce record 14.4 million loss.

Chairman Keith Dawe: "The loss illustrates how much work is required to reduce costs and grow our income in order to comply with the new FFP regulations, brought in by the Football League."

Let's pounce!

ForzaPalace
05-12-2012, 11:16 AM
go go go

AJ's right boot
05-12-2012, 11:23 AM

Chairman Keith Dawe: "The loss illustrates how much work is required to reduce costs and grow our income in order to comply with the new FFP regulations, brought in by the Football League."

Let's pounce!
Bloody hell, that's a big loss! Must have a big wage bill.....

dannyboy1807
05-12-2012, 11:27 AM
They lost 11 million last year

Sceagle
05-12-2012, 11:34 AM
How can they spend so much and be so bad?

Liam_Cpfc
05-12-2012, 11:34 AM
If they go down, they're f#cked!!!

AJ's right boot
05-12-2012, 11:37 AM
If they go down, they're f#cked!!!
With those figures I think they are ****ed either way! I guess this is exactly why the FFP rules are coming in.

elgin eagle
05-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Bloody hell, that's a big loss! Must have a big wage bill.....

james is on a bit no doubt. probably over half of that is down to the wage bill. good job we got gardner and ambrose off ours in the summer.

bourne man
05-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Baldock cost them a lot for little return

Stavros 69
05-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Baldock cost them a lot for little return
Looks like we dodged a bullet with him.

Absolution
05-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Baldock cost them a lot for little returnI think it was a trade off against the money owed for Maynard in the end, but either way they've made some expensive mistakes.

Think Baldock is a good a player though, but at the time the reports were that he was after a much bigger wage to move outside of London.

GrayP41ace
05-12-2012, 12:34 PM
james is on a bit no doubt. probably over half of that is down to the wage bill. good job we got gardner and ambrose off ours in the summer.

James is probably on a fair bit. Though that may explain Bristol City's losses, paying Bournemouth players' wages ;)

Jim Cannon
05-12-2012, 08:53 PM

Let's pounce!
He forgot to mention that giving away players of the quality of Bolasie on the cheap didn't help either

Latvian Eagle
05-12-2012, 09:25 PM
They have players like Jon Stead who I bet is on a fair whack! I bet Tom Heaton although not on David James' level of pay is probably on fairly hefty wages for an average championship keeper given he was on Man Utd and Cardiff's books as well. :eek:

joe walker
05-12-2012, 09:28 PM
According to BBC they have lost 14m, 11m, 11m and 6m in their last four financial years.

They're supposed to be building a new ground with this money I think...?

spt1978
06-12-2012, 05:46 AM
We should test the water with a bid for him in January, would be great back up.

AJ
06-12-2012, 07:24 PM
They have players like Jon Stead who I bet is on a fair whack! I bet Tom Heaton although not on David James' level of pay is probably on fairly hefty wages for an average championship keeper given he was on Man Utd and Cardiff's books as well. :eek:

Their wage bill was 18.6m:eek: Since then they have release 4 of their top owners including James.

Gazza2
07-12-2012, 09:30 AM
I think he'd be great replacement for Zaha when he moves onto bigger things.

W Malling Eagle
07-12-2012, 06:22 PM
I think he'd be great replacement for Zaha when he moves onto bigger things.

Imagine getting him in January ... keeping teams guessing which 2 of Wilf, Bolasie and him were going to tear them apart. :)

maestro
10-12-2012, 07:59 PM
SIGN HIM!

Malarkey
10-12-2012, 08:22 PM
SIGN HIM!
ok

Owngoal
10-12-2012, 08:40 PM
If we could get rid of the likes of Wright in any deal it would be very sensible trading

BBK
10-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see him to go Gillingham permanently in January, they were disappointed they didn't get the loan deal done soon enough.

I'd love Adomah.

Neillo's Son
10-12-2012, 08:46 PM
What's happened to Brizzle's messageboard - OTIB? I used to quite like reading their nonsense but it doesn't open for me anymore.

AJ's right boot
10-12-2012, 08:51 PM
What's happened to Brizzle's messageboard - OTIB? I used to quite like reading their nonsense but it doesn't open for me anymore.
Works fine for me mate.

gold76
10-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Wiki says he under contract till 2014, I cant see him moving before the summer.

Jim Cannon
10-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Wiki says he under contract till 2014, I cant see him moving before the summer.
With the losses they have racked up recently they may have no choice

gold76
10-12-2012, 10:33 PM
But he'd probably still command a million plus fee..

Sceagle
11-12-2012, 12:22 AM
But he'd probably still command a million plus fee..
He's worth paying that still though in my opinion...

W Malling Eagle
11-12-2012, 08:49 AM
He's worth paying that still though in my opinion...

Yes, definitely. As I keep (boringly) saying, it looks like a no-lose situation:

Buy him, pay 1m-ish, he helps us up, we get 60-100m.
Buy him, pay 1m-ish, we don't go up, we sell Zaha for 20m+ and have a replacement in the squad.

AJ's right boot
11-12-2012, 09:10 AM
We will not spend 1m on one player. Those days are long gone.

CPFC_DAVE77
11-12-2012, 09:21 AM

If you look at the back of the programme our entire was squad was built on between 1-2m (not including signing on fees *cough, Murray*).

So really we should we spend 1m on one player?

Clapham Grand
11-12-2012, 10:06 AM
and spend 1m on a player who may well sit on the bench?

Soarin' Eagles
11-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Do they still miss Bolasie?

EagleSE24
11-12-2012, 10:08 AM
We got Bolasie for 250k and look how that turned out. There must be more like him in the lower leagues.

Gazza2
11-12-2012, 10:21 AM

Only until Zaha goes.

Radders
11-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Only until Zaha goes.

Glass half empty.:rolleyes:

Gazza2
11-12-2012, 11:29 AM
We all know he will not be here next season (even if we go up). I'd be delighted with Adomah as his replacement and a shed load of money on top.

Radders
11-12-2012, 11:34 AM
We all know he will not be here next season (even if we go up). I'd be delighted with Adomah as his replacement and a shed load of money on top.

Sadly your probably right but it would be good if he was still here. Agree that Adomah and a shedload of cash would soften the blow if it happened.

Meldrew.

W Malling Eagle
11-12-2012, 11:45 AM

That's a very short-sighted way to look at it imo.

There are a lot of games in the season. Our main threat comes from the wings; the way we play is with 2 skillful, quick wingers and at least one DM protecting the back four, giving those wingers more licence to get forward. Teams can't put 2 or 3 men on each winger, hence we create chances. Given that this is our basic game plan, we are really stretched only having 2 players to cover those 2 positions. With so many games to come, having a third winger of a high standard (although admittedly we won't get anyone with Wilf's ability) provides that cover, plus another option to keep the opposition guessing going into games. To have 3 such players also means we can bring one of them off the bench to change things round, or simply if one of the other 2 is having an off day.

In light of the above, spending 1m or more on another really good winger makes perfect sense. I agree with financial caution and I know where spending has got us in the past, but with a guaranteed pay day at the end of the season (hopefully promotion, but otherwise from selling Wilf) this is the time!!!

Crouchey21
11-12-2012, 12:52 PM

If we go up, Wilf will stay, not doubt about it.. why would we get to the prem and sell him?

sunshine lucas
11-12-2012, 01:10 PM
If we go up, Wilf will stay, not doubt about it.. why would we get to the prem and sell him?
See David Hopkin 1997

herts_palace
11-12-2012, 01:18 PM
See David Hopkin 1997

That was before Premiership teams had big squads, So Hopkin knew he would command a first team place elsewhere. Also Hopkin didn't start his career at Palace so didn't really owe us that much.

IF we go up then Wilf will be one step further forward in his career and providing his feet stay on the ground he is likely to start most games if not all. Why would he go elsewhere and play half the games he could for Palace?

Beanie
11-12-2012, 01:54 PM
See David Hopkin 1997
See lack of a 4 year contract.

Malarkey
11-12-2012, 04:11 PM
has he still not signed? OLLIE OUT

glaziers fan
11-12-2012, 04:32 PM

Those days will be coming right back. We're on the cusp of automatic promotion with about 10 players who are definitely good enough for automatic promotion. It's all about taking the correct decisions at the correct time. In a way it was good that we didn't spend too much last Jan cos we were able to zoom up the league under the radar this season due to our poor finish last season.

We now NEED to invest if we are to have any hope of maintaining our fabulous league position. If we don't sign 1 or 2 you can forget automatic promotion. I'd be happy with a couple of loans, but if the right player comes available (a winger) and he's 2m, as long as he's young we should go for it. Zaha will not be here in 18 months time. We will need a replacement.

glaziers fan
11-12-2012, 04:33 PM
See David Hopkin 1997

Out of contract!

glaziers fan
11-12-2012, 04:34 PM
See lack of a 4 year contract.

:D yes, that's the better way to phrase it.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
11-12-2012, 04:38 PM
No idea if they would sell or for how much or we could even slightly finance it.

BUT he is an excellent player and IMHO finishes better than both our current wide men. I'm not saying he would displace them but I wouldn't predict he would always be benched either. I think he would have as good a chance as the others of playing. Having those three as options would be terrific and IMO would not cause any problems in the squad.

Also think he may be a striker option if we ever wanted to sitck one of the wide men closer to Murray.

If it was possible I would definitely like us to go for him but currently have no reason to think we will or that this anything more than speculation.

Gazza2
11-12-2012, 04:39 PM

Nice wishful thinking. But just not going to happen. Been coming to Selhurst for 38 years and if that has taught me one thing, it's that when odd occassion we have a young player good enough to play for England, he will not be at club for much longer. Even if club owners feel able to turn down big transfer offer, the player in question will want to leave and go play for bigger club. Wilf is a Gunners fan not a Palace fan. Any of us in his shoes would choose to go join Gunners or Man U at end of season even if Palace do go up. Yes, he's under contract but we all know that counts for little in football. Just means we wil get decent fee when he goes. Players dicatate when they leave in most cases!
And please do not say he will stay cos he plays in team and will not do so at bigger club as 1) I think he is good enough to get in bigger clubs 1st team and 2) even if not, the 30k a week they offer him will seal the deal v what we can pay him.

Pub Idol
11-12-2012, 05:00 PM
If we went up then maybe bids for Buckley, Ince & Adomah might be a good move. But far more likely we will bye foreign or crap premier league players although they all say you need that....

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
11-12-2012, 05:04 PM
We're on the cusp of automatic promotion with about 10 players who are definitely good enough for automatic promotion.

No we're not.

Jim Cannon
11-12-2012, 05:07 PM
If we went up then maybe bids for Buckley, Ince & Adomah might be a good move. But far more likely we will bye foreign or crap premier league players although they all say you need that....
I would love it if we went up, spent the whole summer unsettling Buckley and winding up the weed before settling on someone else

GreatGonzo
11-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Nice wishful thinking. But just not going to happen. Been coming to Selhurst for 38 years and if that has taught me one thing, it's that when odd occassion we have a young player good enough to play for England, he will not be at club for much longer. Even if club owners feel able to turn down big transfer offer, the player in question will want to leave and go play for bigger club. Wilf is a Gunners fan not a Palace fan. Any of us in his shoes would choose to go join Gunners or Man U at end of season even if Palace do go up. Yes, he's under contract but we all know that counts for little in football. Just means we wil get decent fee when he goes. Players dicatate when they leave in most cases!
And please do not say he will stay cos he plays in team and will nto do so at bigger club as 1) I think he is good enough to get in bigger clubs 1st team and 2) even if not, the 30k a week they offer him will seal the deal v what we can pay him.

He's still not ready for a top 4/5 club to start week in week out. If he was then despite the extra attention he gets now he would still be a major influence on the games and he is not as influential at the moment as he could be.

I do not think he would start in the top teams and from everyone who has talked about him says he just wants to paly football. If he moves too early and gets frustrated it could stall his career. If we go up I would not be surprised if we offered him a new contract increasing his wages somewhat as well.

Gazza2
11-12-2012, 05:20 PM
I think he would flourish at top club as he would not suffer the 2 man marking he gets being such a big fish in the Championship pool. He would be just another player at top end of Prem and not singled out for dual marking. He would be left one on one a lot more often than currently. He is amongst fittest players at the club and is strong now. I think he's one of those rare players who will do better the higher level he plays at.

Mictor Voses
11-12-2012, 05:39 PM

Says a lot about how bad Bristol City are if this is true and how bad we were before the influx of new signings that we were hammered 4-1 by them in August

Crouchey21
11-12-2012, 05:52 PM
And please do not say he will stay cos he plays in team and will not do so at bigger club as 1) I think he is good enough to get in bigger clubs 1st team and 2) even if not, the 30k a week they offer him will seal the deal v what we can pay him.

We shall see but i dont think you are correct, Wilf's head is screwed firmly on and he knows full well that leaving Palace for a top 4 team, he will stop getting games, which will stop his learning and unfortunately send his career backwards.

Celestial Empire
11-12-2012, 07:32 PM
One of the more ambitious Champs clubs will surely come in for Adomah, Bolton ? Hull ?

NathanCPFCD
11-12-2012, 08:43 PM
One of the more ambitious Champs clubs will surely come in for Adomah, Bolton ? Hull ?

I think if we're top 2 come January then the board will back Ollie with whatever he feels we need. After the Brighton match (or possibly the Blackpool match) that he hopes for quite a few things in January.

Gazza2
11-12-2012, 10:15 PM
We shall see but i dont think you are correct, Wilf's head is screwed firmly on and he knows full well that leaving Palace for a top 4 team, he will stop getting games, which will stop his learning and unfortunately send his career backwards.

Don't agree with you as he is very confident in his own ability and I think he will be confident of getting a starting place at any club. However, if he does think like you think, that would just mean he would leave us and join a top 10 Prem Club rather than a Top 4 (and still get over 30k a week wages which we could never pay anywhere near).

GreatGonzo
11-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Don't agree with you as he is very confident in his own ability and I think he will be confident of getting a starting place at any club. However, if he does think like you think, that would just mean he would leave us and join a top 10 Prem Club rather than a Top 4 (and still get over 30k a week wages which we could never pay anywhere near).

There are only 4 maybe 5 clubs in this country who could possibly look to bid for him.

Jason
11-12-2012, 11:45 PM

In the long term, you are doubtless right. Wilf's talent means that if he keeps developing, his long term future lies at the very highest level. And by that, I mean a club that qualifies for the champions league regularly. The makeup of the moder game means that realistically we have no prospect of hitting those heights in the next few years.As such, at some point relatively soon in the greater scheme, the time will be right for Wilf to move on.

But I honestly believe that that time isn't quite yet. Unless we get a really silly offer (if someone meets that 20m valuation, then all bets are off imho) from a club that Wilf really wants to join, I believe he will see out the season with us. If we don't go up, that he's off in the summer no question, and imho he should go with our best wishes if that's how it pans out. But if we do go up, he will imho probably stay one more year.

If he has a prem season with us, his negotiating position for his contract at his next club when the time comesis much stronger as he's established as a Prem player. More importantly still, his long term development (which should still be the main priority for one so young) would be best served by getting that first top level experience with the club who nurtured him, and where by Prem standards he would be a big fish in a relatively small pond.

In the greater scheme, you're right of course. We probably have no more than 18months more of watching Wilf at CPFC. But there's at leats one more chapter in that story yet, and hopefully, there will actually be two. We should all just enjoy that for now, and worry about the other stuff when (rather than if) it happens.

BBK
12-12-2012, 01:12 AM
He'll still be here next season even if we don't go up.

I disagree Adomah would cost over a million, I don't think it'd be worth signing him in January anyway. Next season Brizzle will be in League 1 and we'd get him cheap as chips.

Gazza2
12-12-2012, 09:09 AM
I hope you guys are right but I'd be prepared to wager everything I own and ever will own that he will not be here next season.

Radders
12-12-2012, 09:32 AM
I hope you guys are right but I'd be prepared to wager everything I own and ever will own that he will not be here next season.

So your betting a ginger toupee, a cricket bat with no middle and a couple of pairs skiddy pants? I guess its a win/win really eh? :p

917L
12-12-2012, 10:03 AM

Dont think there's any chance this will be the case

croydonexile
12-12-2012, 10:35 AM

I disagree Adomah would cost over a million, I don't think it'd be worth signing him in January anyway. Next season Brizzle will be in League 1 and we'd get him cheap as chips.

Swansea rumoured to be interested , 3m is quoted in the sun today..

CPFC_DAVE77
12-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Swansea rumoured to be interested , 3m is quoted in the sun today..

Swings and roundabouts... Swansea have a few wingers, bring any in and it pushes more down the pecking order thus making them available.

Chillo
12-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Dont think there's any chance this will be the case

So, back on thread, this Adomah chap? :D

pap
12-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Swings and roundabouts... Swansea have a few wingers, bring any in and it pushes more down the pecking order thus making them available.

Routledge............ ;)

CPFC_DAVE77
12-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Routledge............ ;)

Now that would be a coup... Never gonna happen, not this window anyway ;)

Celestial Empire
12-12-2012, 10:21 PM

Don't you think there are more than enough Zaha speculation threads ??
This one is about Adomah. Shame on you of all people.:hmph:

Rasheed Harkouk
18-12-2012, 03:42 PM
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/story-17620089-detail/story.html?

if only

maestro
18-12-2012, 03:55 PM
This is one off those potential signings that just wouldmake perfect sense

He would suit of formation perfectly
Well adapted to playing in this league
He's young so potential to gain value

Sign him up!

Liam_Cpfc
18-12-2012, 03:57 PM
What a signing he would be!

Malarkey
18-12-2012, 03:58 PM
YES PLEASE

The Gerry Queen
18-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Even if it went Wilf was leaving us in January ?

Rasheed Harkouk
18-12-2012, 04:05 PM

Yep, he's going to move on sooner rather than later anyway, i'd rather get in a decent replacement and have a heap of cash left over

GreatGonzo
18-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Will cost 2m at least.

Malarkey
18-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Will cost 2m at least.
won't be a problem if Zaha does leave

SpikeyMatt
18-12-2012, 04:15 PM
This would be a real statement of intent .

gilesy14
18-12-2012, 04:17 PM
People are so fickle. 6 weeks ago, people would never have traded Wilf for Adomah. A few quiet games later, & Wilf is free to go. I wonder what will happen if Adomah had a couple of off games?

Malarkey
18-12-2012, 04:21 PM
People are so fickle. 6 weeks ago, people would never have traded Wilf for Adomah. A few quiet games later, & Wilf is free to go. I wonder what will happen if Adomah had a couple of off games?
:confused: Who has said that?

Andy Thorn
18-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Sign him up, please. And keep Zaha.

CaterhamEagle
18-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Would be a great signing, love to have him in the squad for Jan. Means we'd have serious competition for winger places and more pace in the side.

carter
Please

Penstone Eagle
Keith Millen could be key in bringing him here, that's if we really are after him.

orp pisshead1
18-12-2012, 04:27 PM

Depends whether wilfs form picks up, is he's sulking at this moment in time cos he won't be sold in January? then if right offer came along I'd be tempted as hes no good to us really. BUT if holloway can get some sence into him and his form returns he's simply unplayable at this level.Tough one but the Adomah is a sound investment not a gamble. If the board ok it they should sign him anyway.

carter
18-12-2012, 04:29 PM
I would be so excited about seeing Williams, Moritz, Zaha, Bolasie, Adomah and Murray all in the same team! Please please sign him

orp pisshead1
18-12-2012, 04:33 PM
The key is whether Wilf is just off form a bit or pissed off. An unhappy player isn't worth keeping around any club let alone a team going for promotion.

GreatGonzo
18-12-2012, 04:33 PM
I would be so excited about seeing Williams, Moritz, Zaha, Bolasie, Adomah and Murray all in the same team! Please please sign him

No chance of them ever being in the same team. Murray and 3 of the others at any one time though would be exciting enough.

rainbow_child
18-12-2012, 04:34 PM
We won't be paying 2 mil for a player even if Wilf did go for a bucket load of cash, surely?!

orp pisshead1
18-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Really hope he stays though as he's a brilliant player.

Malarkey
18-12-2012, 04:37 PM
We won't be paying 2 mil for a player even if Wilf did go for a bucket load of cash, surely?!
Why? If he does go in january, 2m would only be a fraction of his fee.

carter
18-12-2012, 04:37 PM
No chance of them ever being in the same team. Murray and 3 of the others at any one time though would be exciting enough.

I dont mean all on the same pitch together in red and blue. Just all in the same squad. I could see Yannick, Wilf and Albert all being the 3 black amigos

CaterhamEagle
18-12-2012, 04:40 PM

Would be a statement of intent, and would be a good use of whatever Wilf's fee was... We'd need a quality player in to fill the gap Wilf would leave behind. For the money, there aren't many other players who would fit the bill really.

Sceagle
18-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Why can't we keep Zaha and have Adomah?

BBK
18-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Zaha isn't going anywhere and as much as I like Adomah you'd have to be a fool to be happy to see Zaha go so we can replace him with Adomah. He'd be good to have in a rotation with Zaha and Bolasie until the end of the season but the fee is too high anyway.

Someone like Matt Done is more realistic until City are in financial ruin and League 1 in the summer.

jimos_uk
18-12-2012, 04:59 PM

Has Holloway been sacked, Ardiles hired and no-one told me?

Sceagle
18-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Adomah is going to the Africa cup of nations so he won't be the back up we need straight away.

AJ
18-12-2012, 05:26 PM
I'd offer 1m with 1m if we get promoted, but, no more. Don't want teams to think we are flush with money or anything. Also, we won't get near 20m if Zaha leaves, 10m at the most, as the only reason Zaha will leave is if he chooses to leave and at that point his value will drop.

Malarkey
18-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Why can't we keep Zaha and have Adomah?
because the BBS says so

Celestial Empire
18-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Keith Millen could be key in bringing him here, that's if we really are after him.

Neither Keith Millen nor Santa Claus could make that price tag go away.
I think IH will look elsewhere for back-up.

CrystalOrient
18-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Adomah is going to the Africa cup of nations so he won't be the back up we need straight away.

Good point! So we need an additional winger on loan... ;)

DW CPFC
18-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Sign him up

Jason
18-12-2012, 07:31 PM

Why not ?. My posts on here will tell you I'm generally against spending big, but being top two coming up to January and having a 10m+ asset on the books combine to put us in an unusual situation. Because of this situation, we can be confident that at least one of two things will be true come the summer. We will either be in the premier League, or will have sold Zaha for big money (we could of course yet end up doing both).

Either of those scenarios brings a huge amount of cash into the club, and in either eventuality, buying a player like Adomah early in January makes sense. In the immediate term, it helps our promotion push. A lack of cover on the wings is probably the biggest threat to our continued success this season, and Adomah is not just cover, but genuine competition.

Going forward, it also makes sense. If we do go up, Adomah is probably as likely to make the step up as almost anyone in the Championship. If we don't secure promotion, we have the perfect replacement for Wilf secured in advance, leaving us well placed for another decent go next season.In either event, the cost of the deal is more than financed by income that we will get in the summer.

And if the worst really does come to the worst (which I still believe it wont), signing Adomah means we will have someone else in place in advance if someone does come in for Wilf in January with an offer that we genuinely can't refuse. This would mean that while still a blow, a sale in January may not be the end of the world.

From whichever angle I look at it, our unusaual circumstances this winter mean that I can't see how buying in a young ish quality championship winger in the window is anything other than good business.

TC EAGLE
18-12-2012, 07:51 PM
The problem Holloway has IF Zaha goes that any player linked to replace him the selling club will up the price cos of the money Palace will have.

Pistol Knight
18-12-2012, 08:56 PM
The problem Holloway has IF Zaha goes that any player linked to replace him the selling club will up the price cos of the money Palace will have.

Spend it before we have it :)

mrgins
18-12-2012, 09:46 PM
regardless of the Wilf stay or go situation, who is a suitable back up winger if, god forbid, wilf or yannick get hurt?

Billy Rhino
18-12-2012, 11:33 PM
The ideal scenario for us would be to sell Zaha to a big club in Jan but with a loanback until the end of the season. If this deal wasn't made public then we could go about spending the money on the quiet to buy his eventual replacement (e.g. Adomah). Win-win for everyone as it would ease Wilf's mind so he could recover his form and get us promoted, whilst the buying team get a happy player for next season.

BBK
18-12-2012, 11:51 PM
regardless of the Wilf stay or go situation, who is a suitable back up winger if, god forbid, wilf or yannick get hurt?
KDS, Williams, Moritz. From the U21 team, Banton, Fenwick, Allassani. Can play on the wing.

We'll make a couple of signings in January, highly doubt it'll be Adomah.

gilesy14
19-12-2012, 09:47 AM
KDS, Williams, Moritz. From the U21 team, Banton, Fenwick, Allassani. Can play on the wing.

KDS, Williams & Moritz are all attacking midfielders who can play out wide if needs be. However, they are not out & out wingers like Wilf or Bolasie - it'd be like before we got Yannick & had no balance in the side. Square pegs in round holes does not work as we saw last season.

Rasheed Harkouk
19-12-2012, 10:13 AM
KDS, Williams & Moritz are all attacking midfielders who can play out wide if needs be. However, they are not out & out wingers like Wilf or Bolasie - it'd be like before we got Yannick & had no balance in the side. Square pegs in round holes does not work as we saw last season.

Exactly, recipe for mediocrity

Eagle96
19-12-2012, 10:13 AM

Fenwick and Banton are not nearly good enough.

Banton was given a year's deal as we have no wingers between the age of 19-21 (and we don't want to play all our u18s in the DS), and Fenwick was signed as he seemed a decent prospect but has stalled and will leave in the summer (as will Banton).

Allassani is a much better in the hole than on the wing, and I believe wingers should be able to cross at least half successfully, Reise can't tbh and he knows it. He also has no left foot atm, something he's working on but this will take time.

I'd love to see Jake Gray in the squad for the Stoke game, either to come on in the hole or on the right, as I think he can be another Williams if nurtured properly (obviously not as good, but there are similarities... he can be a Championship-level version of Williams at least imo).

Andy Newton
19-12-2012, 10:15 AM
well there you go further proof that if you repeat a story enough times on the bbs someone in the media will pick it up :)

Ron Dogers
19-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Square pegs in round holes does not work as we saw last season.

Or the season before that!

Ard
19-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Personally I dont want to see Palace live beyond our means, however I can see the benefit of buying Adomah now, and keeping Zaha until the end of the season at least. If we dont go up, then it will be pretty standard that Zaha leaves, and so Adomah's fee is covered. If we go up, then we have the luxury of keeping Zaha and Adomah in the same side.

Either way, by getting Adomah in January AND keeping Zaha increases our chances of success

Eagle96
19-12-2012, 10:45 AM

GodstoneEagle
19-12-2012, 04:50 PM
M&Y Press Agency (South/West-based, so most likely a Bristol source) says we're in for him in a 3million deal if we sell Zaha. Imagine it will appear in papers tomorrow.

City apparently posted losses of 15m.

Ard
19-12-2012, 05:18 PM
M&Y Press Agency (South/West-based, so most likely a Bristol source) says we're in for him in a 3million deal if we sell Zaha. Imagine it will appear in papers tomorrow.

3 million is a lot of money, but he is a decent player. Wonder how much we would get for Zaha then

Liam_Cpfc
19-12-2012, 05:24 PM
At 3million pound, I think we should wait till the summer, hope they get relegated, because he will be into the last year of his contract, plus Bristol would be even more in debt, then hopefully sign him for around 1m-1.5m.

orp pisshead1
19-12-2012, 05:25 PM

Question is , is he worth 3 m? Massive investment.

Sp1Eagle
19-12-2012, 05:26 PM

Not quick enough ;)

glaziers fan
19-12-2012, 05:50 PM
The ideal scenario for us would be to sell Zaha to a big club in Jan but with a loanback until the end of the season. If this deal wasn't made public then we could go about spending the money on the quiet to buy his eventual replacement (e.g. Adomah). Win-win for everyone as it would ease Wilf's mind so he could recover his form and get us promoted, whilst the buying team get a happy player for next season.

What a load of nonsense.

I don't want to resign myself to Zaha going even if we are promoted. I don't think Zaha's form is definitely anything to do with the England call-up. Even if it was we will get more at the end of the season for him if we sell him then imho. How do u think the other players would react to Zaha if they knew he was off at the end of the season no matter what? They might think he's not committed to the cause, and he might have a terrible impact on the rest of our season

The best idea is that we banish the thought of us selling WF in Jan, and push on in Feb towards automatic promotion with a strengthened squad, and balance the books in the summer if we have to. End of.

Celestial Empire
19-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Just a rehash of the previous (speculative) story.
Nothing to see here.:hmph:

Billy Rhino
19-12-2012, 08:18 PM
What a load of nonsense.

I don't want to resign myself to Zaha going even if we are promoted. I don't think Zaha's form is definitely anything to do with the England call-up. Even if it was we will get more at the end of the season for him if we sell him then imho. How do u think the other players would react to Zaha if they knew he was off at the end of the season no matter what? They might think he's not committed to the cause, and he might have a terrible impact on the rest of our season

The best idea is that we banish the thought of us selling WF in Jan, and push on in Feb towards automatic promotion with a strengthened squad, and balance the books in the summer if we have to. End of.
Sorry but you're deluded if you dont think Wilf be leaving at some stage next year. Even if we got promoted we could never match the wages that he could potentially earn with a move to an established PL club.

You seem to be blindly defending Wilf regardless atm, even his over the top reaction to Parr not passing to him on Saturday was acceptable in your eyes when it should not be. You also think it is acceptable to gamble with CPFC2010's money even though we have only been out of administration for 2.5 years due to Jordan gambling away.

I think we would all love to see Wilf play in Palace colours for years to come (he is the best player we've had since Ian Wright imo) but, as with Wright, as soon as he starts seeing the pound signs I'm afraid there's not much we can do but get the best deal for the club. The only solution is to build the foundations of the club and ground, like West Ham did, until we get to a point where we can afford to keep top players like Wilf.

Southampton sold Oxlade-Chamberlain and used the money wisely to get promoted, no reason why we cant do the same.

Eagle96
19-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Not quick enough ;)

:p

ChrissyN
20-12-2012, 03:09 AM
3 million is a lot of money, but he is a decent player. Wonder how much we would get for Zaha then
We will not buy anyone for 3 million.

palace_crystal
20-12-2012, 07:17 AM
We will not buy anyone for 3 million.
not even if we are a premier league club next season? :lux:

Chucky
20-12-2012, 08:11 AM
It's in The Mirror today.

CRYSTAL PALACE boss Ian Holloway wants Bristol City winger Albert Adomah to replace Eagles wonder kid Wilfried Zaha.

Holloway is lining up a 3million raid on his Championship rivals for Adomah if he fails to keep Zaha from the clutches of Premier League admirers – including Arsenal and Liverpool – in next month’s transfer window.

City are willing to sell the Ghanaian international after announcing debts of almost 15m.

eagles #1
20-12-2012, 08:20 AM
3m? :D

Gazza2
20-12-2012, 09:01 AM
I'd be happy with him to replace Zaha when he goes.

johnbush
20-12-2012, 09:29 AM
At 3million pound, I think we should wait till the summer, hope they get relegated, because he will be into the last year of his contract, plus Bristol would be even more in debt, then hopefully sign him for around 1m-1.5m.
So now we're wishing severe financial problems and relegation on another club so that we can pick up a basement bargain?
I sincerely hope we haven't come to that.

Windsor_Eagle
20-12-2012, 09:36 AM
I don't see why the purchase of one player is currently under the caveat that we sell Wilf.

This is a rare occasion in which it is fairly prudent to spend now. If we do (and get it right) then we get a windfall of in excess of 50m for reaching the Premier League. If we fall short then we know that selling Zaha will be almost certain and so we re-coup significant amounts then.

I'm not advocating a 3m spend - but anywhere between 1m and 3m if spent wisely could be a worthwhile investment knowing that we'll get at least three or four times that amount from the sale of one player.

I am looking forward to seeing what in-comings materialise in January (although I am a little concerned about how much bollocks will get spouted about Zaha and the BBS is going to be in meltdown for the whole of it!)

Pint of Speroni
20-12-2012, 10:18 AM
So now we're wishing severe financial problems and relegation on another club so that we can pick up a basement bargain?
Joel Ward.

Stavros 69
20-12-2012, 11:03 AM
3m LOL no chance.

DW CPFC
20-12-2012, 11:16 AM
3m LOL no chance.

3 million in our position would be a good amount to invest to give us the push for promotion without disrupting the squad to much.

Dont understand why people are saying its too much when we have previously spent hardly anything compared to other teams.

Not saying spunk it all on adomah however!!!

carter
20-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Wouldn't want us to buy him for 3m. As much as I want him I wouldn't him for that price. Why do these journalists think we have to sell Zaha just to buy another winger? Can we not have 3 exciting wingers at once or is that just not allowed at Palace

joe walker
20-12-2012, 11:47 AM
3m would make him our record signing.

I don't think we're that desperate are we?

johnbush
20-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Joel Ward.
I hope that most people were sorry to see the state that Portsmouth had got themselves into - seeing that we came perilously close to suffering the same fate - and weren't gleefully wishing it on them in the hope of getting something out of it.

W Malling Eagle
20-12-2012, 12:37 PM
3m would make him our record signing.

I don't think we're that desperate are we?

I know all the reasons against it ... but it would be quite exciting, wouldn't it?

We splash out on players so rarely (and for good reason) who wouldn't be wetting their pants with excitement if we did, just for once? :o

Ard
20-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Wouldn't get so precious about it, effectively Bristol City have been cheating by spending more than they could ever repay. They deserve what is coming to them just as we deserved what we went through (don't mean the fans).

herts_palace
20-12-2012, 01:48 PM
I know all the reasons against it ... but it would be quite exciting, wouldn't it?

We splash out on players so rarely (and for good reason) who wouldn't be wetting their pants with excitement if we did, just for once? :o
A great shame we couldn't have got him 30 months ago. We could have saved ourselves a lot of money :(

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202010

Oli28
20-12-2012, 01:52 PM
3 million for a player to sit on the bench?

Unless people are suggesting that he'd replace Zaha or Bolasie?