PDA

View Full Version : Neil Ardley

TC EAGLE
24-06-2002, 12:45 PM
According to yesterdays Sunday People Palace have been talking to Neil Ardley. Apparently talks have been going on, but wages have been a problem. Francis hopes to go back to the player sometime this week with an improved offer

Latvian
24-06-2002, 01:28 PM
So is he a left mid or right mid?

Daddy Long
24-06-2002, 01:34 PM
Right.

He's also an excellent set piece taker

pedro
24-06-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Right.

He's also an excellent set piece taker

Apparantly he is considering a better offer from the UN to go to the West Bank.

Latvian
24-06-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by pedro

Apparantly he is considering a better offer from the UN to go to the West Bank.

Selhurst, Milton Keynes or the westbank?!?!?

OKnotOK
24-06-2002, 02:32 PM
He's not exactly an awe-inspiring potential signing but he would be a decent one. On a free. Capable of taking freekicks and corners which I feel we will really benefit from. And a good addition to the squad.

Jimbo ?
25-06-2002, 02:48 AM
cant agree personal terms!! Where have we heard that before?????

Ardley linked to brum yet?????
No........????
Just wait!

What?
25-06-2002, 03:45 AM
We got Danny Granny for our free kicks!

Psychokiller
25-06-2002, 01:40 PM
I'm not convinced Ardley is any better than Rodger or Hopkin

GOD
25-06-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
I'm not convinced Ardley is any better than (Rodger or) Hopkin

:eek: Are we talking old good style or new fat style Hopkin?

Psychokiller
25-06-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by GOD

:eek: Are we talking old good style or new fat style Hopkin?
The 20% extra free version!

Clubby
25-06-2002, 02:29 PM
I went out with his cousin for a while. Best breasts i've ever had the pleasure of ! just thought you'd like to know ! And she's now a copper

Dave
25-06-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Clubby
I went out with his cousin for a while. Best breasts i've ever had the pleasure of ! just thought you'd like to know ! And she's now a copper

Most Lady coppers have big tits - it's a fact.

northernsouler
25-06-2002, 02:35 PM
According to my dons mates Neil ardley runs around like a chicken with a broken neck

CK
25-06-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by northernsouler
According to my dons mates Neil ardley runs around like a chicken with a broken neck

I remember a rain soaked afternoon on the Holmesdale when he crucified us.:sob: Thats quite a while ago though. He's never really moved onwards and upwards and he must be getting on now.

Pub Idol
25-06-2002, 02:45 PM
I have seen Neil Ardley walking around Kingston a few times. Also seen him in Mcluskeys with John Hartson.

Latvian
25-06-2002, 02:49 PM
Im sorry mate he's got to be better than Hopkin, even if he runs round like a headless chicken, at least he runs!

Walrus
25-06-2002, 04:07 PM
Neal Ardley would be a good signing on a free. Better than Jamie Lawrence in my view, and would be a better bet for right midfield than Jamie Smith.

Can he play right back too ? Good cover for Curtis O'Fleming if so.

Psychokiller
25-06-2002, 04:35 PM
I remember when we were known as a club who could spot young players with potential from lower division clubs or Premiership reserves (Edworthy and Hopkin spring to mind), buy them for bugger all and develop them into class players. Now Mr Francis has taken over it seems we're endlessly linked with either has beens or never was's. I thought these sort of players ended up at the likes of Walsall and Rotherham, not Palace!

Who Cares?
25-06-2002, 05:28 PM
Agree with what you say PK, and was thinking about this a few weeks ago. Came to the conclusion that Uncle Ron's theory was that if you risked a fee on a youngish lower division player and developed him over 2 or 3 seasons you would be fairly certain of being able to sell him for a higher fee. With Bosman this is less likely. Therefore signing players of proven ability (for want of a better word!) with the hope that results are achieved in the short term is the alternative.

AJ
25-06-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Who Cares?
Agree with what you say PK, and was thinking about this a few weeks ago. Came to the conclusion that Uncle Ron's theory was that if you risked a fee on a youngish lower division player and developed him over 2 or 3 seasons you would be fairly certain of being able to sell him for a higher fee. With Bosman this is less likely. Therefore signing players of proven ability (for want of a better word!) with the hope that results are achieved in the short term is the alternative.

These younger players were also on low wages, which was appealing for RN. Mind you it was always a gamble, but, the "cost" of a young player was so much less. Remember, for all the successful young players, there were many who didn't make the grade.

Psychokiller
25-06-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Who Cares?

Players under 23 are not entitles to Bosmans, and if you get these young players on long contracts you're safeguarded against that anyway.

I'm just a bit peeved that we're appearing to turn into what Birmingham were under Francis :(

PalaceFan in Alabama
25-06-2002, 06:16 PM
I'm just a bit peeved that we're appearing to turn into what Birmingham were under Francis :(

What do you mean "we're appearing to turn into what Birmingham were under Francis", of the 2 games I saw this jerk in charge the only difference was the colour of the shirts :veryangry

Psychokiller
25-06-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama

What do you mean "we're appearing to turn into what Birmingham were under Francis", of the 2 games I saw this jerk in charge the only difference was the colour of the shirts :veryangry
True, but he hadn't had enough of a chance to sign every donkey cast off has been in the country by then......

atlanta eagle
25-06-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Dave Campbell

Most Lady coppers have big tits - it's a fact.

Indeed they do. I married one :p

Son of Shacker
25-06-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by atlanta eagle

Indeed they do. I married one :p

Is the other tit still single then?

Who Cares?
25-06-2002, 07:29 PM

Players under 23 are not entitles to Bosmans, and if you get these young players on long contracts you're safeguarded against that anyway.
(

Most of the players we signed from the lower divisions etc were about 22 or 23 (Edworthy was 22, Hopkin almost 25 for example). Most contracts on transfer seem to be for 3 years, 4 at most, which gives both parties, but mainly the player, options. Whether that will still be the case in the current climate remains to be seen.

Not disagreeing with the sentiments expressed about the type of signings being made, just pointing out the reality of the situation as I see it.

A further thought occurs. With Jordan, and I might add a good few on the BBS, looking for promotion in the short term, it is not surprising that the manager is looking for established players. Noades recognised that it would probably be the 2nd season at least before players coming from 2nd/3rd div or Premier reserves reached their potential. Gray and Black were probably the last signings of this type and after 2 seasons the jury is still out.

Geezer
25-06-2002, 07:53 PM
I wld love to see more players coming from the youth/lower divisions, these will be the best sort of signing we could make in my opinion. All the names we have been linked with seem....well.....boring! Jamie lawrence(snore) Neil Ardley(zzzzzzz!!!!) Lets buy some unknown from Carlisle or Arse reserves or something, if not play routledge, its more fun.

Psychokiller
25-06-2002, 07:57 PM
Gavin Mahon would have been a much better bet, and given Watford's financial situation could possibly be a target at a bargain price.

Crunchie
26-06-2002, 07:50 PM

Me too.

The majority of TF signings are usually 26 or above, and usually have never made the grade.

Its the only way he knows how unfortunately.

BUNGLE
26-06-2002, 09:30 PM
I don't no what people are complainging about when it comes to TF's signing so far, the only one I have any doubt over so far is Akinbiyi and I'm pretty certain he will come good next season.

OKnotOK
27-06-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
I don't no what people are complainging about when it comes to TF's signing so far, the only one I have any doubt over so far is Akinbiyi and I'm pretty certain he will come good next season.

Bungle: Damn right! :p

Fleming is one of the best signings the club has made in years. Granville -- if he can concentrate a little better -- will be a good leftback (and he is the best we have anyway). He went after Brown but couldn't get him for a million (Brown in my opinion is exactly the sort of player we need to fire the team onto a promotion charge). He tried to buy Stern John before Judas but was thwarted because John said his family had settled in the midlands.

Ardley has been a consistent premiership performer and though he isn't as exciting a player as say Tommy Black on the right wing, he is definitely a more reliable one and can cross the ball.

winners
27-06-2002, 05:17 PM
Well said Bungle - couldnt agree more!

Walrus
28-06-2002, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by OKnotOK

He tried to buy Stern John before Judas but was thwarted because John said his family had settled in the midlands.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Now the truth comes out. Thanks for the heads up on this. Now can all those slagging CPFC and TF for not going after Stern John please step forward.

glaziers fan
28-06-2002, 08:45 PM
I'm not convinced Ardley is any better than Rodger or Hopkin

Ur absolutely right. He is poor. He used to be better before injury robbed him off his pace, much in the same way as it has to David Hopkin. My friend supports Wimbledon (haha!!) and he says Ardley is useless, and shudnt be in the team! And if u have ever seen Wimbledon play, that is saying something!

glaziers fan
28-06-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by BUNGLE

I think he was a gd signing, and fleming was a gd replacement for Austin. But it is the Granville signing that angers me. He has replaced Julian Gray at left wing-back. He is a disgrace (francis not Granville!)

glaziers fan
28-06-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by OKnotOK

Bungle: Damn right! :p

Fleming is one of the best signings the club has made in years. Granville -- if he can concentrate a little better -- will be a good leftback (and he is the best we have anyway). He went after Brown but couldn't get him for a million (Brown in my opinion is exactly the sort of player we need to fire the team onto a promotion charge). He tried to buy Stern John before Judas but was thwarted because John said his family had settled in the midlands.

Ardley has been a consistent premiership performer and though he isn't as exciting a player as say Tommy Black on the right wing, he is definitely a more reliable one and can cross the ball.

Thank goodness we didnt get Stern John! He is useless! Thats why B'ham still want to sign Morrison!

As for Granville being the 'best we've got'?! Well, if u look at what Bruce managed with a 3-5-2 we shudn't be playing 4-4-2! He is a reject, plain and simple and is not as gd a wing-back as Gray. In fact, he 'isn't a wing back' according to Keegan. So, no Granville is not the best we've got. Gray is! And actually i would go as far as saying Gray is a better left-back than Granville! Seriously, he can really tackle better than Danny! And is MUCH better going forward of course.

Brown would be a good signing. 3m might be 2m over the top but its probably about right, and anyway, he could be worth 10m to us if we win promotion because of him! I hate us being linked with such rubbish! Ardley, Lawrence? No thanks! If we want an old midfielder we can play Hopkin! He cant run, but he can still pass and tackle! Prob more than the afformentioned duo!

917L
28-06-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan

Thank goodness we didnt get Stern John! He is useless! Thats why B'ham still want to sign Morrison!

And how many goals did he score in Brums run to the premiership??

Jaffa
28-06-2002, 10:35 PM
Granville was bought to play 4-4-2 which like it or not is our formation now. Plenty of room for Julian/Rubins to play as well as Granville in that formation.

Granville has had time at Chelsea, Leeds and Man City so cant be too bad a player... Ive thought he has been pretty solid for Palace.