PDA

View Full Version : Nige

BVB Bob
27-06-2002, 01:10 PM
Just read in the Sun (so it must be true!) that Leeds are willing to let the mighty Pastie go in order to get Robinson 1st team football. Am I just dreaming here, but is there any way we could tempt him back to us, presuming we want him back? Would a dual role as a goalkeeping coach be tempting, or his he still way out of our league?

pedro
27-06-2002, 01:18 PM
At 36 he might have been tempted but I feel a middle of the road Premiership club will probably take preference, especially if he doesn't retire from international football. At present I think we are quite strong on the goalkeeper front and bearing in mind the current financial climate within the game it would be suicide to pay the type of wages he will demand. We are better off with what we have but it is a shame, another time and it would have been great to welcome him back.

BVB Bob
27-06-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by pedro
At 36 he might have been tempted but I feel a middle of the road Premiership club will probably take preference, especially if he doesn't retire from international football. At present I think we are quite strong on the goalkeeper front and bearing in mind the current financial climate within the game it would be suicide to pay the type of wages he will demand. We are better off with what we have but it is a shame, another time and it would have been great to welcome him back.

What a sensible answer. Bugger.

GOD
27-06-2002, 01:56 PM
stop being sensible :sob:

I want Nige back he's My God!

BVB Bob
27-06-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by GOD
stop being sensible :sob:

I want Nige back he's My God!

Woah...God's God - now that's pretty high up.
Yeah, I'd love him back - my all time Palace hero.

nookiebear
27-06-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by pedro
especially if he doesn't retire from international football.

We are better off with what we have but it is a shame, another time and it would have been great to welcome him back.

He has retired from the international team, announced it at the weekend.

But you're right, it's just the wrong time - unless he came back as goalkeeping coach as well as player?

Thin on Top
27-06-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by BVB Bob

Woah...God's God - now that's pretty high up.
Yeah, I'd love him back - my all time Palace hero.

Agreed. The most talented player of Smith's relegation squad, and yet the only one not to ask for a transfer.

And to think Venables preferred Ian Walker against Italy. Pr*ck.

firesign
27-06-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear

He has retired from the international team, announced it at the weekend.

Did he? I missed that.

nookiebear
27-06-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Thin on Top

And to think Venables preferred Ian Walker against Italy. Pr*ck.

That was Hoddle

Dave
27-06-2002, 03:38 PM
I suspect he will retire this season.

He has a very serious back condition.

Thin on Top
27-06-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear

That was Hoddle
Whoops !

Hoddle. Pr*ck.

BVB Bob
27-06-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Dave Campbell
I suspect he will retire this season.

He has a very serious back condition.

So if we offered him a coaching role?

Cyneagle
27-06-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by BVB Bob
Just read in the Sun (so it must be true!)

Valued at 4 million according to the super soaraway.

What?
28-06-2002, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Cyneagle

Valued at 4 million according to the super soaraway.

4 million! LOL :p Nice One!

glaziers fan
30-06-2002, 09:53 PM
As i have said before on another thread, Clarke is a better goalkeeper. Ok, so Martyn was loyal, and a Palace hero, but in a year's time you'll realise that Clarke is the best keeper we have ever had.

congress
30-06-2002, 09:58 PM
Glaziers fan, you drunk?

Clarke isnt good enough to lace Nigels boots.I would still pick Martyn over Clarke now as would 95% of other people.He is Englands number two choice of goalkeeper.

Jaffa
30-06-2002, 10:23 PM
Clarke isnt even the 2nd best goalkeeper we`ve ever had.

If he wants to move up the list perhaps he ought to stop picking fights with windows as well....

glaziers fan
01-07-2002, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Jaffa
Clarke isnt even the 2nd best goalkeeper we`ve ever had.

If he wants to move up the list perhaps he ought to stop picking fights with windows as well....

Who is then?! Perry Suckling?! Chris Day?! Kevin Miller?! Now you really are having a laugh!

mike
01-07-2002, 04:13 AM
Where is Perry these days, don't forget we once had the best keeper never to play for England, answers on a postcard!

Officer Dibble
01-07-2002, 04:30 AM
If we're going to argue about the quality of our past and existing goalies then Kolinko comes into the frame. He played some inspired games last season.

Teddy
01-07-2002, 09:57 AM
Nige is God. Simple.:D

glaziers fan
02-07-2002, 05:32 AM
I'm not really bothered what you all think! After all we're all entitled to our opinions. But I would like an apology Jaffa if he ever does play for England! And I'll give you an apology if he fails to play any more Premiership football! Deal?!??

Thin on Top
02-07-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by mike
Don't forget we once had the best keeper never to play for England, answers on a postcard!

Alex Kolinko ?

Jaffa
02-07-2002, 06:18 PM
glaziers fan, I wont apologise to you because you are a facking idiot.

Latvian Eagle
02-07-2002, 06:33 PM
1. John Jackson
2. Nigel Martyn (My hero and role model)
3. Matt Clarke
4. Alex Kolinko
5. Carlo Nash

Can't really say many other keepers at Palace have impressed me that much.

1. Suckling - Only saw him play once, lost that 4-1 to Arsenal
2. Day - Ok, but not great.
3. Mimms - Only played once.
4. Miller - Was ok, but never Premiership quality.
5. Digby - Crap
6. Gregg - I liked him but never given a good run in the first team.

markholmes1991
16-08-2002, 12:40 PM
Alan Nixon in todays Dialy mail says, Leeds have agreed a 2million move with Southamton for Martyn.

Eagle Kneevil
16-08-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
1. John Jackson
2. Nigel Martyn (My hero and role model)
3. Matt Clarke
4. Alex Kolinko
5. Carlo Nash

Wot no Mautone........or George Wood????

Smurph
16-08-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Eagle Kneevil

Wot no Mautone........or George Wood????

or John Burridge?

boxing francis
16-08-2002, 03:53 PM
dont mean to spoil your party but it looks as if he is on the verge of sighning for southampton for a reported fee of 2m:sob:

tauranga rob
16-08-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan

Who is then?! Perry Suckling?! Chris Day?! Kevin Miller?! Now you really are having a laugh!

Well GF, if your moniker refers to the pre-1973 era, you'll remember John Jackson. I think he & Nige will, in most (old) peoples' minds, hold the top two spots.

Jaffa
16-08-2002, 05:35 PM
Seems an odd move to me, Southampton already have the excellent Paul Jones - and 2m is a lot for a 35yr old.

GOD
19-08-2002, 08:58 PM
As i have said before on another thread, Clarke is a better goalkeeper. Ok, so Martyn was loyal, and a Palace hero, but in a year's time you'll realise that Clarke is the best keeper we have ever had.

Sorry only just read this and nearly died laughing.

Nige was the best goal keeper I have ever seen play at Palace by a long way, and I can remember John Burridge (just). Clarke is a great shot-stopper and very good Div 1 goalkeeper but is slow and can't dominate this area or organise his defence (see Portsmouth 2nd half) and if he ever plays for England I will eat my gloves.

Jaffa
19-08-2002, 09:00 PM
Clarke is also purple, which is worrying.

I know carrots used to be purple, but not people.

ozeagle
19-08-2002, 09:06 PM

yeah, that must be the bloke i saw scrambling around at the feet of merson like a dog chasing a bone..single handedly responsible for their 3rd goal...

GOD
19-08-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle

yeah, that must be the bloke i saw scrambling around at the feet of merson like a dog chasing a bone..single handedly responsible for their 3rd goal...

Its funny how people view the match differently because I thought the 1st and 2nd goals were his fault and he couldn't do much (apart from looking like a prick) for the 3rd :)

GOD
19-08-2002, 09:09 PM
Clarke is also purple, which is worrying.

I know carrots used to be purple, but not people.
What bit of Matt Clarke are you looking at :eek:

Caisterman
19-08-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by GOD

Sorry only just read this and nearly died laughing.

Nige was the best goal keeper I have ever seen play at Palace by a long way, and I can remember John Burridge (just). Clarke is a great shot-stopper and very good Div 1 goalkeeper but is slow and can't dominate this area or organise his defence (see Portsmouth 2nd half) and if he ever plays for England I will eat my gloves.

John Jackson was the best Palace keeper. Nigel lags behind I'm afraid.:p

Jaffa
19-08-2002, 09:13 PM
His head!

To be honest, I thought, on his day, Miller was better than Clarke, and I remember one of the Arsenal players saying he was the best keeper they had played against in that year.

GOD
19-08-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Caisterman

John Jackson was the best Palace keeper. Nigel lags behind I'm afraid.:p

I will have to take your word on that one, but I bet they would both p*** on Clarke :D

Don't get me wrong I like Clarke and think he is a good keeper but he just isn't in the same league.

pete eagle
20-08-2002, 03:33 AM
Nige would be nice if we had an inexperienced keeper in goal but we won't get better than Clarkey and Kolinko at the moment.

As Dave said, he has a serious back problem and i would expect him to retire soon from the game entirely. A coaching position is not beyond the realms of fantasy, although Leeds might want him to help Robinson along

lees eagles
20-08-2002, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by ozeagle

It was Deon Burton, not Merson!

Benzhiyi
20-08-2002, 03:53 PM
Seems an odd move to me, Southampton already have the excellent Paul Jones - and 2m is a lot for a 35yr old.

Ask any Southampton fan who goes to watch them regularly and they'll tell you exactly what they think of Paul Jones - and it isn't 'excellent', trust me!!!

Cleon
20-08-2002, 03:58 PM
I'd rather we concentrated on the future, and continued with Matt Clarke in goal (with Kolinko as second choice preferably, if possible... :rolleyes: ).

Nigel was good in his day, but is on the wane now.

Elephant with mouse gyp
20-08-2002, 04:23 PM
Who is the worst keeper we've had?

Perry gets stick for the 9-0 etc but I always quite liked him. Chris Day might qualify - I don't think I've ever seen anyone as nervous as that play the game. (Where are those two now?)

Before that I can only really remember Jacko and George Wood, at least off the top of my head.

(I wouldn't have Nige back for his antics in that cup game with Leeds when he led the posse of nutters who put off Brucie before a penalty.)

GOD
20-08-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
Who is the worst keeper we've had?

Luckily most of our keepers have been Ok apart from Paul Barron and Fraser Digby

melteagle
29-08-2002, 12:08 PM
Here goes(and they're all better than Clarke):

Vic Rouse(although never actually saw him)
Bill Glazier
Tony Millington

melteagle
29-08-2002, 12:11 PM
Doh! - pressed the wrong button....

John Jackson
John Burridge
George Wood

IMHO Clarke rates the same as Paul Hammond:eek: