PDA

View Full Version : Cedric Carasso

Raoul Duke
01-07-2002, 05:08 PM
I'm not really concerned about Cedric joining us. Infact what does worry me is that with Cedric joining us will this lead to either Clarke or Kolinko being sold. Afterall, do we really need three top line 'keepers?

This was taken from the official site:

French goalkeeper Cedric Carrasso will this week discuss a transfer back to the Eagles after recently completing a 6 month loan at the Club.

The Marseille keeper, aged 20, impressed during his spell with Palace and made his first team debut against Birmingham City on Monday April 1st. Cedric replaced Matt Clarke at half time and started a number of attacking moves with his accurate long throw.

Throughout the second half of last season Cedric was a regular for the reserve team and he ended his loan on a high winning the Surrey Senior Cup Final. Cedric is expected to meet with Trevor Francis in the next few days to discuss a permanent move for a nominal fee.

Holmesdale Boy
01-07-2002, 06:13 PM
Cederics only young and im guessing hes being bought as a hot rospect for the future (in champ Mang Terms)

Beanie
01-07-2002, 07:24 PM
Last season we had the three of them - and found that we needed them all. Why should it be different this season?

Carasso fills a bit of gap between the more "mature" keepers and 17 year old Lance Cronin.

Gooders
01-07-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Carasso fills a bit of gap

Now that is true!

g23
01-07-2002, 10:14 PM
Anyone notice the pun in the headline? Palace sign Gaulkeeper? Conclusive proof that there is an element of imagination (however microscopic) associated with the Palace site.

Bartman
01-07-2002, 10:17 PM
Is it just me, or doesn anyone else think that our little French friend wasn't worth signing? He failed to impress me in every department, although I have to applaud him for being as wide as he is tall.

g23
01-07-2002, 10:28 PM
He was surprisingly agile for a big lad. And his 'Allo Allo' style shout of 'KEEPAYRS' when coming out for crosses did keep me entertained at the Surrey Senior Cup Final. So on balance, yes - sign him up.

pete eagle
01-07-2002, 10:45 PM
he's there to play in the reserves and keep the two older keepers on their toes and allow Lance cronin to develop a bit more in the youth team before he is introduced to first team football and be the competition for Lance in the future

Beanie
02-07-2002, 03:13 AM
Remember also that - despite appearences - Carasso is the French U20 goalkeeper. We haven't seen that much of him (please avoid comments here :clown: ) but a French international at any level can't be bad - even allowing for the World Cup:D :D

What?
02-07-2002, 04:05 AM
You just about covered your tracks for all the jokes there!

917L
02-07-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
a French international at any level can't be bad :D

Is Valerian Ismael excluded then? :rolleyes:

budgie
02-07-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by 917L

Is Valerian Ismael excluded then? :rolleyes:

Ismael is now playing at a much higher level than Palace currently are, and if he had been given more of a chance here would of gone on to be a Palace favourite.

Gooders
02-07-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Bartman
Is it just me, or doesn anyone else think that our little French friend wasn't worth signing? He failed to impress me in every department, although I have to applaud him for being as wide as he is tall.

I only saw him for that one half that he played for the first team and I thought he looked very assured, surprisingly quick and had excellent distribution.

:confused:

Ruskin Old Boy
02-07-2002, 01:32 PM
His distribution was excellent last season and in particular his kicking, above the norm for a "reserve" keeper. Well worth signing him.

wedgetail
02-07-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by budgie

Ismael is now playing at a much higher level than Palace currently are, and if he had been given more of a chance here would of gone on to be a Palace favourite.

Sorry, but who was the Wimbledon donkey who took him to pieces?
He was a powder puff who couldn't mark and had the positional sense of Mr Magoo.

Bartman
02-07-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
Originally posted by Bartman

I only saw him for that one half that he played for the first team and I thought he looked very assured, surprisingly quick and had excellent distribution.

:confused:

Just goes to show - I though that his positioning was awful, his reactions slow, and on top of that he looked nervous and jittery. I do agree with you on the distribution side of things however. I didn't get to any of the Surrey Cup matches so am a bit premature in passing jusgement to say the least. Maybe I'd had a few too many of the Holmesdale's warm Fosters! Good luck to him this season!

Ruskin Old Boy
02-07-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by wedgetail

Sorry, but who was the Wimbledon donkey who took him to pieces?
He was a powder puff who couldn't mark and had the positional sense of Mr Magoo.

We've had this discussion before;) Ishmael was on the verge of the French squad - had a brilliant season with Lens - and IMHO should have been in the squad.

Yes, he was poor at Palace but it's good to see him doing so well elsewhere - and it doesn't say much for the cr*p management at Palace that failed to realise any of his potential.

Gooders
02-07-2002, 02:40 PM
I guess that's true RoB but the management can't go out and play the game for him can they?

He never looked anything like international class at Palace and to be honest, however much he might have improved I think he would still struggle playing in England - some people just aren't suited to the game over here.

Beanie
02-07-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
He never looked anything like international class at Palace and to be honest, however much he might have improved I think he would still struggle playing in England - some people just aren't suited to the game over here.

Very true - but that doesn't make them a bad player, just one not suited to English football. In any case - players can improve, never know what he'd be like if we signed him now (which I am fully aware we won't)

Ruskin Old Boy
04-07-2002, 04:11 PM
Marseilles have offered Cedric an improved contract so the deal's not done yet.

Walrus
05-07-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by budgie

Yep, not many Carl Leaburn's in the French First Division :o

On topic, why not sign Big Cedric if he's on offer for "a nominal fee" ??? He's young, and must have shown plenty of potential to the Palace coaching/management staff and to all those who watch the reserves play.

Ruskin Old Boy
05-07-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Walrus

Yep, not many Carl Leaburn's in the French First Division :o

There's no doubt he didn't do the business for Palace but have you seen him play for Lens; if not why not check out some of the French match reports.

Chillo
05-07-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy

There's no doubt he didn't do the business for Palace but have you seen him play for Lens; if not why not check out some of the French match reports.

Please dont suggest that some of us might question our prejudices :D

Some of us have worked long and hard to get our bigotry and prejudices to such a finely honed state that you only have to say "Ismael" and we respond "Donkey and waste of money". :p

For goodness sake, you'll be suggesting we think rationally next?

Ruskin Old Boy
05-07-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Chillo

For goodness sake, you'll be suggesting we think rationally next?

Fair point;) If we did we might not support Palace:D

Walrus
06-07-2002, 02:22 AM

Yep, I'm aware that he's now proved himself a classy player in the french first division. Like I said, no Carl Leaburn's to bother him in that league !

Good luck to him.

Ruskin Old Boy
06-07-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Walrus

Like I said, no Carl Leaburn's to bother him in that league !

Just a few Senegalese players eh;) and we know how useles they are:D

Axie
24-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Is this the same Carasso that was on the bench for Marseille against Bolton in the Uefa Cup last night ?

Panther
24-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Not unless it was a very wide bench.

Ruskin Old Boy
24-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Axie
Is this the same Carasso that was on the bench for Marseille against Bolton in the Uefa Cup last night ?

Yes indeed - he was the first team regular keeper while Barthez was suspended for several months and a lot of the fans wanted him to sty in the side.

Dartford Lad
24-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Yes indeed - he was the first team regular keeper while Barthez was suspended for several months and a lot of the fans wanted him to sty in the side.

Marseille have also said that when Barthez leaves they will be promoting Cedric to first choice so they obviously have a lot of faith in him.

charltonhater
24-02-2006, 03:51 PM

Why was Barthez suspended for several months?

pete eagle
24-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Spitting at a ref or something like that.

Dartford Lad
24-02-2006, 03:52 PM
I think he spat at a referee or something like that.

<_tece_>
24-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Trust Barthez to spaff at the ref.

Ruskin Old Boy
24-02-2006, 04:20 PM
BBC reported this:

"Barthez ban for spitting extended

Marseille's ex-Manchester United keeper Fabien Barthez has had his ban for spitting at Moroccan referee Abdellah El Achiri extended until 31 December.

He had been banned for six months, with three suspended, but the French Football Federation appealed against its disciplinary commission's decision. "The appeal committeee handed Fabien Barthez a suspension until December 2005," the FFF said on their website.

The sanction would be cut to 15 October if Barthez agreed to do community work.

The February game between Marseille and Wydad Casablanca was stopped after the incident."