PDA

View Full Version : Selhurst Six Sign Up

Dave
01-07-2002, 08:39 PM
Crystal Palace are delighted to announce the signing of professional contracts by 6 of its young players who have progressed through the academy ranks, representing not only a great success for the boys themselves but for the academy as well. The six young players are David Hunt, Will Antwi (pictured), Ben Surey, Robert Smith, Wayne Routledge and Gareth Williams.

There has been significant financial investment, management re-structures, fantastic new facilities and a recruitment drive which has resulted in a dramatic increase in both the quality and numbers recruited into our academy. The result of a revitalised youth development policy is clearly illustrated in the signing of six players to pro contracts, as well as two of our boys representing England at U-17 level. Academy Director Derek Broadley said: "I am delighted that the Club has signed these boys on pro-contracts, it is a great indication and recognition of the work being achieved in the academy by my staff and is the tip of the iceberg as far as the future is concerned.

Link (http://cpfc.co.uk/today/view/breaking_news_detail/0,,10323~233482,00.html)

g23
01-07-2002, 08:41 PM
Looking forward to seeing Smith - don't think I have before (cue Alan and Neil telling me I've seen him eight times without realising it!).

Neil the Eagle
01-07-2002, 08:42 PM
Nah mate, he's had a bad injury.

Good player though.

Gazza2
01-07-2002, 08:44 PM
Does this mean that some of the others have been released? If so who?

arussell
01-07-2002, 09:33 PM
You definitely haven't seen Smith Gavin, as Neil says.

I think I've only seen him once !

Pleased about Williams and Antwi - I hope Gareth now goes on and makes the first team, which I feel he could well be capable of.

g23
01-07-2002, 09:35 PM
Phew! Pleased for 'Twi, too. If I'm any judge of potential (and I'm probably not) he's got a lot.

Gooders
01-07-2002, 09:42 PM
Is David Hunt any relation to Steven Hunt?

You know, the bloke that looked like Chris Sharpling...

;)

Daddy Long
01-07-2002, 09:49 PM
I've seen Antwi and Hunt play in the same side a few times. I know that Antwi is deserving of a contract but Hunt has never looked anything other than ordinary. Who knows. He may progress.

g23
01-07-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
Is David Hunt any relation to Steven Hunt?

You know, the bloke that looked like Chris Sharpling...

;)

:) No, but he is related to Billy Hunt, Paul Weller's fictional character from the song of the same name. Also (distantly) to Ray Davies' David Watts. Quite a lineage he has.

Dave
01-07-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by g23

:) No, but he is related to Billy Hunt, Paul Weller's fictional character from the song of the same name. Also (distantly) to Ray Davies' David Watts. Quite a lineage he has.

Anyone seen Mike Hunt?

Neil the Eagle
01-07-2002, 10:02 PM
Wasn't he banned a while back?

Holmesdale Boy
01-07-2002, 10:14 PM
Is Dobson and Cronin already on pro contracts and if not why not they looked very promosing on the players

Maidstoned Eagle
01-07-2002, 10:41 PM
I think Cronin is already on a pro contract. Not sure about Dobbo though, perhaps his ball juggling side line finally pissed the academy off.

g23
01-07-2002, 10:48 PM
Doesn't Dobson have a year left yet before that decision has to be made? Similarly Gary Borrowdale?

jlmatthews
02-07-2002, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Dave Campbell
, Robert Smith

EMT - You have come out of retirement?:confused:

More to offer than your previous football employment?

02-07-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
I've seen Antwi and Hunt play in the same side a few times. I know that Antwi is deserving of a contract but Hunt has never looked anything other than ordinary. Who knows. He may progress.

According to reports I received from those who accompanied the Palace Youth team which took part in an International Club Tournament in N.Italy between 29th March and lst April 2002, David Hunt, a tall right-sided wing back, was the outstanding Palace player in every game.
Delighted to hear that the other five players have also signed professional contracts, showing the immense value to the Club of our Academy.

Beanie
02-07-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle
I think Cronin is already on a pro contract. Not sure about Dobbo though, perhaps his ball juggling side line finally pissed the academy off.

Think you're right on both counts. The impression from the TV programme was that Dobson, although no doubt a great ball juggler, was a bit lucky to be kept on at the Academy. I wouldn't be surprised if we never see him as a professional at Palace.

02-07-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Beanie

Think you're right on both counts. The impression from the TV programme was that Dobson, although no doubt a great ball juggler, was a bit lucky to be kept on at the Academy. I wouldn't be surprised if we never see him as a professional at Palace.

Cronin will become a professional when he is 17 in September.

Dartford Lad
02-07-2002, 02:18 PM
Can anyone give me the D.O.B's and positions of these players please?
It is for the player stats on Alex Ferguson Player Manager.

humpo
22-07-2002, 04:56 PM
what about teerateep (leesaw) winothai. did he not get given a contract

Latvian Eagle
22-07-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Dartford Lad
Can anyone give me the D.O.B's and positions of these players please?
It is for the player stats on Alex Ferguson Player Manager.

Gareth Williams = 9/10/1982
Gary Borrowdale = 16/7/1985

That's all I know.

Dartford Lad
23-07-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle

Gareth Williams = 9/10/1982
Gary Borrowdale = 16/7/1985

That's all I know.

Cheers!