PDA

View Full Version : Raid on Spurs' transfer list?

Raf
03-07-2002, 09:26 PM
According to today's Mirror, Spurs are having a mass clear-out to finance a bid for Kevin Philips. They've denied it on the BBC site, but since when does that mean anything?
Anyway, looking at the players mentioned it seems to me there are several that might not mind dropping a league, and wouldn't be too pricey. Perhaps not the likes of Rebrov, ;) but Leonhardsen and Perry could be well worth a look...

Story from www.bbc.co.uk
Spurs have denied a newspaper story that manager Glenn Hoddle plans a clear-out of players to fund the purchase of Sunderland's Kevin Phillips.
The Daily Mirror newspaper reported that Neil Sullivan, Sergei Rebrov, Chris Perry, Oyvind Leonhardsen, Tim Sherwood and Steffen Iversen were to be sold to raise money to buy the 12m-rated Phillips.
"To suggest that some of our senior players are to be sacrificed is pure imaginative writing," Spurs director of football David Pleat told BBC Sport Online. We are not discussing any movement outwards at this moment."

Frisky
03-07-2002, 10:00 PM
Tim Sherwood would be my pick from that lot IMHO.

He's getting on a bit but he really made a difference to Spurs last year when he played. He'll have less opportunity with Redknapp on board so may be looking to leave.

Maidstoned Eagle
03-07-2002, 10:19 PM
Leonhardsen please, the goal scoring midfielder we need.

Psychokiller
04-07-2002, 10:18 PM
Iversens the only one I'd be interested in.

Walrus
05-07-2002, 02:39 AM
Shame we couldn't afford to pay any of them what they're probably earning at Spurs :(

Chris Perry and Steffen Iversen would do for me if we could, and if they'd fancy slumming it in Div 1.

Jaffa
05-07-2002, 02:49 AM
I cant believe people wouldnt touch some of these proven established Premier players

All of them would walk into our team.

Steve in Phoenix
05-07-2002, 06:36 AM
Oyvind Leonhardsen said he would never play in Division One.. that he would go home rather than drop a division.

Hey Jaffa.. didnt Austin also come from Spurs? :) Im leery about signing players like those.. You can get a Lee Clark to boss the division or a disruptive expensive Steven Hughes..

glaziers fan
08-07-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa
I cant believe people wouldnt touch some of these proven established Premier players

So, Iversen is better than Morrison and Freedman?!

I would however like Tim Sherwood! He would be an excellent aquisition. We need a player in his position.

Baloo
09-07-2002, 07:01 PM
I cannot believe Spurs would sell Sullivan or Perry. If they are listening to offers, we should show an interest, but I doubt they'll drop the division.

Phil's Barber
09-07-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa

Absolutely right! Though the chance of these players joining Palace as opposed to a newly promoted side are remote.

Calder2
09-07-2002, 07:51 PM
Matt Etherington on loan please!

Dartford Lad
09-07-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Calder2

Agreed. He would be a better choice as a right midfielder than Danny Butterfield! :)

Daniel_Nash
09-07-2002, 08:14 PM
Experienced is one thing, but past it is another. Sherwood might be useful but he's so slow and i don't rate him at all now. Leonhardsen has been suffering from injuries and might be a risk. Can't believe Spurs would sell Sullivan, Perry.. well.. i can see it. The 3 man back line will be King, Thatcher and Richards with Gardner and Taricco in reserve.

Rebrov would be too expensive, and he's not really settled in at Spurs :( shame for me, hoped for big things. Wouldn't think Iversen would be leaving though, he's getting back to form after injuries and why sell a younger striker to buy another when Sheringham and Ferdinand are left?! Better off selling Ferdinand at a low low price to a lower club.

Final Words: Don't get Sherwood!

Beanie
09-07-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Calder2

Loans solve nothing long term. Look at Forssell, great while he was here, but we've still never got the permenant player we needed.

Loans fine for injuries, but not for anything else.

Calder2
09-07-2002, 08:55 PM
Okay, sign Ehterington then. I just thought of loaning because of lack of cash thro TV deal thas all.