PDA

View Full Version : Hopkin on the way?

Dartford Lad
05-07-2002, 02:02 PM
Friday, July 5, 2002
Hopkin is Dunfermline target
By Alan Douglas

Dunfermline boss Jimmy Calderwood is making an ambitious move for Crystal Palace's former Scotland midfielder David Hopkin.
Hopkin still has two years of his Palace contract to run but his manager, Trevor Francis - an old playing colleague of Calderwood's at Birmingham - has told him of the Dunfermline interest and is encouraging him to go.

Francis has told the former Morton and Leeds player he can quit Palace for nothing if he agrees a cash settlement, but Hopkin is on a £600,000-a-year salary at Selhurst Park and would need a massive golden handshake before considering a switch.

Calderwood needs a midfield powerhouse after Ian Ferguson quit East End Park at the end of last season. Palace chairman Simon Jordan met Hopkin last night to discuss a pay-off and Calderwood expects an answer from the player over the weekend.

The source is Soccernet.com.

Daddy Long
05-07-2002, 02:13 PM
please leave

Igor Iconic
05-07-2002, 02:15 PM
so long and thanks for that goal.

Dartford Lad
05-07-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
please leave

I thought you were saying that to me for a minute then! :)

Or were you........ :D

hellsbells
05-07-2002, 02:20 PM
yes without wishing to sound TOO cruel

please go, now

BUNGLE
05-07-2002, 02:22 PM
Go now before completely spoiling the memory.

Daddy Long
05-07-2002, 02:27 PM
Dartford Lad, unless you are David Hopkin, then I am not saying it to you :)

GOD
05-07-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
Go now before completely spoiling the memory.

Too true :sob:

Dartford Lad
05-07-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Dartford Lad, unless you are David Hopkin, then I am not saying it to you :)

Thankfully I am definately not David Hopkin!. Although on 600k I suppose it wouldn't be to bad! ;) :D

pete eagle
05-07-2002, 02:49 PM
i'll be willing to wheel him out the door

c_block_lad
05-07-2002, 02:53 PM
What a bunch of bull***t!

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
05-07-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Igor Iconic

And that sneeky handball that the ref didn't spot at Stockport. :)

Gooders
05-07-2002, 03:05 PM
Good move for all parties - let's hope it comes off.

Get rid of Hopkin = more chance of keeping Freedman, Morrison etc.

As others have said, thanks for that goal (and handball) and all the fish.

Ruskin Old Boy
05-07-2002, 03:21 PM
Oh wouldn't it be nice if he did go:) :p

Yes, thank you for THAT goal

Who Cares?
05-07-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
Good move for all parties - let's hope it comes off.

Get rid of Hopkin = more chance of keeping Freedman, Morrison etc.

As others have said, thanks for that goal (and handball) and all the fish.

Not sure it really is that good a move for Palace. Yes, we will get a highly paid player, who has clearly not justified the investment in him, off the books. BUT potentially 2 x £600k as a pay off?? Even if there is some negotiation on this we could be looking, optimistically, at £400/£500k. OK that "releases" say £700/£800k from cashflow which won't have any real impact for 12 months. With Francis saying that he needs to sell to buy I do not see how this deal makes the sale of Morrison or Freedman any less likely.

bucketbongeagle
05-07-2002, 03:24 PM
£600,000 pa is that right !!!!??? absolutely outrageous you could knock a 0 off and it would still be too much for the amount of effort he's put in.

What's Hopkin ever done for us ?

appart from that goal obviously
the Stockport handball
Oh and didn't he score a fantastic goal towards the end of last season ? or did I just dream it ?

Gooders
05-07-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Who Cares?

With Francis saying that he needs to sell to buy I do not see how this deal makes the sale of Morrison or Freedman any less likely.

Perhaps, but it has to help.

All we need to do now is shift 3 or 4 more of the bigger earning not-very-good-any-more players (pick your own names - Smith would be high on my list for instance) and the pressure to sell the more attractive players might ease a bit.

cpfcben
05-07-2002, 03:42 PM
people seem to have very short memorys. in his 1st spell with the club hopkin was fantastic for us. no one should also forget that brilliant goal he scored up at wolves in the playoff semi final. i think in that season he scored at least 18 goals from midfield which isn't half bad!!

anyway i do believe we should get rid of him as he is always injured. for hopkin to get back to anything like he was he needs a consistent number of games to get back his match fitness i cant really see this happening. getting paid 600000 grand to leave is outrageous. this has turned out to be another sh!tty buy under jordan's leadership ,more money wasted. ie same goes for pollock we have had to pay up his contract to get him to bugger off as well! i think in total the hopkin deal will have cost (second time round) at least over 3m for player who has hardly played at all!

''Get rid of Hopkin = more chance of keeping Freedman, Morrison etc.''
i think dougie and hopkin are good mates so i can't see that being an added reason for dougie staying. i think that is one of the reasons dougie left last time, because hopkin was sold to leeds!.

Boris the charltonhater
05-07-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by bucketbongeagle
Oh and didn't he score a fantastic goal towards the end of last season ? or did I just dream it ?

No he did score one of the best goals we scored last season end the last home game of the year.

What division are Dunfermiline in?

Dartford Lad
05-07-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Boris

No he did score one of the best goals we scored last season end the last home game of the year.

What division are Dunfermiline in?

Scottish Premier.

Phil's Barber
05-07-2002, 06:35 PM
It really is time the olive skined adonnis left for pastures new. No doubt he is working on his tan as we speak!!

DE - Glad All Over
05-07-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Igor Iconic

Did you only ever go to one game at Wembley:grrr:

Cleon
05-07-2002, 08:48 PM
Would be great if it was true. Whilst I feel no feelings of bad will towards Hopkin, I think this move would work out well for all concerned. He would be able to try and salvage his career with a new challenge in his home country, we would be relieved of a financial burden, and Dunfirmline would gain a talented player if they can motivate him.

Duke
05-07-2002, 09:12 PM
can't see why they would want him

he has nothing to offer going by last years performances

Gark Moldberg
05-07-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Duke
can't see why they would want him

he has nothing to offer going by last years performances

Shhh!

Don't tell them that!

That Hopkin fellow, He's superb :moo:

Flying Higher
06-07-2002, 07:40 PM
I'm surprised so many are pro Dave H - he walked out on the club after being promoted and being offered the best contract that Uncle R and Sir Steve had ever offered ( matching the deal on offer by Leeds) .
He returns to the club as an fading overweight injury prone player - again on top wages and to boot does next to nothing.
Let him go - young legs please.

hellsbells
06-07-2002, 08:06 PM
Mr Daniel_Nash has just text me from Scotland, and he said it was in the papers up there that Hopkin could be on the move

What?
07-07-2002, 03:44 AM
GO GO GO!

Addickted
07-07-2002, 03:49 AM
Hopkin? £600k a year?

Surely this is a wind up. You lot must be crying in your sleep knowing that.

Looks like with him, Francis and Noades, your club is in its death throws.

Gooders
07-07-2002, 11:46 AM
That's not much more than 10 grand a week. It sounds a lot but it's probably fairly typical for a mediocre 1st division player. Shame he's not mediocre!

How much do you think you were paying Costa when he was with you? Wouldn't be anything less than £1.5 million you know.

Now that is stupid.

:D

Addickted
07-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Fair comment. I believe he was on £35k a week for his 6 months contract, which is excessive for us, BUT he is a world class centre back and thats all he cost us - pardon the pun. I believe he was worth every penny.

If he was stuck playing with the stiffs or was a poor performer with no obvious committment and still earned that kind of money (as the case with Hopkin), I might of felt differently.

07-07-2002, 05:13 PM
That's not much more than 10 grand a week. It sounds a lot but it's probably fairly typical for a mediocre 1st division player. Shame he's not mediocre!

How much do you think you were paying Costa when he was with you? Wouldn't be anything less than £1.5 million you know.

Now that is stupid.

:D

Excuse me, but it is totally inaccurate to suggest that 10k a week is the going rate for an average Division One player. Were this to be the case, most First Division Clubs would already be out of business. Only the wealthiest Clubs, and/or those recently relegated from the Premiership would be paying a proportion (likely to be small) of their star players that kind of money. In the case of the less affluent among the latter, they would quickly be summoned to a meeting with their local friendly bank manager, told the facts of financial life in the Nationwide League and advised to reduce their overdraft. With the prospect of diminishing TV revenues, the number of Nationwide Clubs capable of paying even star performers ten grand a week is certain to fall drastically in the months and years ahead.

WorthingEagle
07-07-2002, 05:56 PM
isn't the average division one wage about £2,000 a week?

Had Hopkin been able to match the form he showed in his first spell, and been the top playmaker in the division, then he'd be worth this kind of money. He was meant to be the injection of class to see us clear of relegation, I guess in the end he did but only using his hand!

I wouldn't mind him in the squad if he was on a sensible wage, he showed some semblence of form at the end of the season, and scored that great goal out of nothing. Most of the time though he looks like he's given up trying.

Unfortunately not many scottish premier or English Div Two side are going to pay him his current wage, and all the Div One teams have seen him play. So the chances of getting rid of him are low, and the wage budget of an entire division three squad is going on one, average player.

Gooders
07-07-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by WorthingEagle
Isn't the average division one wage about £2,000 a week?

I very seriously doubt it.

Palace
07-07-2002, 07:36 PM
I read this a while ago, i think the numbers were;

Average prem is about 13k a week
Average Div1 is about 6-7k a week
Average Div2 is about 2-3k a week

Not totally sure though.

WorthingEagle
07-07-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Palace
I read this a while ago, i think the numbers were;

Average prem is about 13k a week
Average Div1 is about 6-7k a week
Average Div2 is about 2-3k a week

Not totally sure though.

The highest earning players though would pull those averages right up, your journeyman div one player is probably on between 2,000 and 4,000.

I can't see Crewe & Grimsby paying any of their players £6-7k a week, or Cambridge paying theirs £2-3k.

A few years ago I did a report on Rochdale, their highest paid player was on £600, all the way down to £150 for the lowest senior pro. They wanted to sign Philliskirk but his £1000 demands were too much; he was coming down from Div Two, I doubt they earn too much more than that in that division.

Gooders
07-07-2002, 11:44 PM
Teams like Wolves, Palace, Wimbledon, Sheff Weds, Forest, Bradford, Portsmouth, Norwich, Ipswich, Leicester, Derby and Watford will all have a number of players earning £10,000 per week or more. That's half the division.

It's also why all of those clubs named are now trying desperately to unload (or sack) the higher earners. £2,000 a week? Most first division players wouldn't get out of bed for that.

08-07-2002, 12:58 AM
Teams like Wolves, Palace, Wimbledon, Sheff Weds, Forest, Bradford, Portsmouth, Norwich, Ipswich, Leicester, Derby and Watford will all have a number of players earning £10,000 per week or more. That's half the division.

It's also why all of those clubs named are now trying desperately to unload (or sack) the higher earners. £2,000 a week? Most first division players wouldn't get out of bed for that.

You appear to be contradicting yourself Gooders. Your assertion that certain teams (named above) "will have a number of players earning £10,000 per week or more" may be true at the moment (how long that is likely to continue will depend on the respective effect on each Club of falling TV revenue and other factors). That is completely different from your earlier claim that MEDIOCRE First Division players are commanding such salaries. Generally only the best players at those Clubs will be earning that kind of money, although we all know of over-rated, overpaid players who have failed to live up to their original valuation.

Palace
08-07-2002, 01:36 AM
Pars eye Hopkin move

David Hopkin is on the verge of a move to Scottish Premier League outfit Dunfermline Athletic, according to reports.
The Eagles midfielder still has two years to run on his current Palace contract but is unlikely to be a regular starter for Trevor Francis's men next season and may be allowed to move on.
Hopkin moved to Selhurst Park, for a second time, from Bradford for £1.5million in March 2001 but has made only 21 league starts since his return.

The former 31-year-old began his career in Scotland with Morton before joining Chelsea in September 1992 and then enjoying his first spell at Selhurst before a big money move to Leeds in July 1997.
The former Scotland international may opt for a fresh challenge in the SPL if, as expected, he is told by Francis that he is surplus to requirements.

From Teamtalk today, not shedding any more light on the issue, but they state that Hopkin is a "Former 31 year old." Interesting.........

pete eagle
08-07-2002, 01:53 AM
more like former lightweight David Hopkin now heavyweight is looking for a move to Dunfermline because the fish and chip shops there sell food with the highest fat content in Britain

Gooders
08-07-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by freddykurz

You appear to be contradicting yourself Gooders...that is completely different from your earlier claim that MEDIOCRE First Division players are commanding such salaries. Generally only the best players at those Clubs will be earning that kind of money, although we all know of over-rated, overpaid players who have failed to live up to their original valuation.

As far as I am concerned, 99% of players in the first division are mediocre. Sorry and all that. :p

08-07-2002, 01:32 PM

As far as I am concerned, 99% of players in the first division are mediocre. Sorry and all that. :p

So they aren't ALL mediocre then?

Dartford Lad
08-07-2002, 02:14 PM
Meanwhile, Yorkston admitted that the Pars had now ended their interest in Scotland midfielder David Hopkin, who had wanted to buy out the remainder of his contract with Crystal Palace.

This is from the BBC website.......

Cleon
08-07-2002, 02:18 PM
Won't somebody rid us of this troublesome Scot? Does the guy not have any ambition left? Or is he just happy to keep collecting the generous pay cheques?

biggus mickus
08-07-2002, 06:00 PM
I agree he has to go, even with the slimmer version, he looked tired in Sevilla.

Brod
08-07-2002, 06:12 PM

So they aren't ALL mediocre then?

No, some are Bad and Very Bad.

Beanie
08-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Brod

No, some are Bad and Very Bad.

Ah, but if they are some must be Good and Very Good - that's the way it is with "mediocre", pretty much the same as "average" really

glaziers fan
09-07-2002, 06:12 AM
I dont see what the big deal is with weight! You can still be big and yet fit, eg Tommy Black! I dont think Hopkin's weight is an issue. The fact is he must be playing with about 10 injuries. How else would he be so slow? I could be on crutches and still get to the ball quicker than him! And I genuinely believe he IS trying! Otherwise Jordan would have sacked him by now!

Seriously, the injury at the beginning of last season must have had a large effect on his pace, and sadly he will never be a good player anymore, because he is unable to be a box-to-box midfielder anymore. Even his long throw is not as effective, cos he cant gather enough pace in the run-up!

He was the player most instrumental in getting us promoted, so thanks for that. But sadly, he is still a Judas for walking out on us after we resurrected his career.

The fact that he was our best player in the promotion year, shows just how important the box-to-box player is in a team's performance. I strongly believe this position is crucial to get right. We desperately need someone like him. He may be old, but Dennis Wise anyone?!

Walrus
09-07-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
We desperately need someone like him. He may be old, but Dennis Wise anyone?!

And you think that Hopkin is crocked and past it ?!?!?!?

Duke
09-07-2002, 05:03 PM
Dennis Wise - no thank you.

someone younger, fitter although he does have the right work ethic and attitude of the type of player we need.

Top Eagle
11-07-2002, 04:15 PM
Just looked on the official site and he is not included in "the full squad" for next season.

Has he now gone?

Cleon
11-07-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Top Eagle
Just looked on the official site and he is not included in "the full squad" for next season.

Has he now gone?

Weird? Maybe we're just trying to give him a message. His squad number (6) hasn't been taken though:

Squad listed on CPFC official website:

1 Alexanders Kolinko
2 Jamie Smith
3 Craig Harrison
4 Dean Austin
7 Hayden Mullins
8 Danny Butterfield
9 Dougie Freedman
10 Clinton Morrison
11 Tommy Black
12 Gregg Berhalter
14 Steven Thomson
15 Aki Riihilahti
16 Andrew Frampton
17 Andrejs Rubins
21 Cedric Carrasso
24 Julian Gray
27 Steven Kabba
28 Tony Popovic
30 Danny Granville
31 Matt Clarke
36 Kit Symons
38 Curtis Fleming
40 Wayne Routledge
55 Ade Akinbiyi

Dartford Lad
11-07-2002, 04:29 PM
I don't think to much should be made of this because Carasso is still in there and also players like Cronin, Williams, Antwi and the rest are missing as well.

arussell
11-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Those aren't this season's numbers - they're last seasons with Butterfield just added in so they can list a profile.

Strathclyde Eagle
11-07-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by arussell
Those aren't this season's numbers - they're last seasons with Butterfield just added in so they can list a profile.
I agree. Just looks like a bit of hasty code editing to tidy things up a bit.

Latvian Eagle
11-07-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle

I agree. Just looks like a bit of hasty code editing to tidy things up a bit.

I dunno though, before they put Kabba back to 27 they had him under Akinbiyi with no number. Couldn't they have done that for Butterfield? :confused:

HappyLarry
17-07-2002, 10:13 PM
Bournemouth v Crystal Palace
Wednesday July 17, 2002. Kick off 7.45pm

Squad

Kolinko, Clarke, Granville, Fleming, Mullins, Popovic, Kabba, Black, Rubins, Freedman, Thomson, Austin, Butterfield, Surey, Williams G, Routledge, Hunt, Antwi, Borrowdale.

No Hopkin in the squad for tonight - injured(again), just completely unfit or sorting out a new club?

Or all three!

pete eagle
17-07-2002, 11:08 PM
maybe he's at the all you can eat buffet at his local restaurant

pedro
18-07-2002, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
I dont see what the big deal is with weight! You can still be big and yet fit, eg Tommy Black! I dont think Hopkin's weight is an issue. The fact is he must be playing with about 10 injuries. How else would he be so slow? I could be on crutches and still get to the ball quicker than him! And I genuinely believe he IS trying! Otherwise Jordan would have sacked him by now!

Seriously, the injury at the beginning of last season must have had a large effect on his pace, and sadly he will never be a good player anymore, because he is unable to be a box-to-box midfielder anymore. Even his long throw is not as effective, cos he cant gather enough pace in the run-up!

He was the player most instrumental in getting us promoted, so thanks for that. But sadly, he is still a Judas for walking out on us after we resurrected his career.

The fact that he was our best player in the promotion year, shows just how important the box-to-box player is in a team's performance. I strongly believe this position is crucial to get right. We desperately need someone like him. He may be old, but Dennis Wise anyone?!
This was a good post but then you had to spoil it by trying to make a joke at the end!

Baloo
18-07-2002, 02:38 PM
From CPFRIS:

HIGH-EARNER HOPKIN DEAL UNLIKELY TO GO AHEAD

By Barrie Daglish

THE CHANCES of former Scotland internationalist David Hopkin
arriving at East End Park appear to be slim as his wage packet and
his position with Crystal Palace combine to complicate matters.

Pars boss Jimmy Calderwood was first alerted to Hopkin’s
availability several weeks ago by his former Birmingham City team-
mate Trevor Francis, now the man at the helm at Selhurst Park, who
is looking to reduce the London club’s wage bill.

The former Chelsea, Leeds United and Bradford City midfielder is
reputed to be one of the highest earners at Palace which explains
why Francis is keen to sell him and why the Pars are unlikely to
buy him, unless he takes a significant cut in wages.

"I spoke to his agent while we were in Holland and he is a player
we could be interested in but there is no way we will go outside
our financial structure," said Calderwood.

"He has got the experience, the quality and some height so he could
help (the squad) but there’s nothing happening until he is sorted
out with Crystal Palace. I think there are legal matters there."

The Pars manager added that, with Craig Brewster, Gary Dempsey,
Scott Walker and Derek Stillie already on board, he had not
intended adding to his squad again and it was only because a player
of Hopkin’s experience had become available that he was considering
another signing.

(c) DC Thompson & co ltd

What "legal matters"? Why do I get the nasty feeling SJ isn't paying our players...? (see near identical post on the Berhalter thread)

HappyLarry
18-07-2002, 02:43 PM
Probably to do with this "pay-off" that has been mentioned before. Looks like he's going though - one way or another.

Beanie
18-07-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Baloo
From CPFRIS:

What "legal matters"? Why do I get the nasty feeling SJ isn't paying our players...? (see near identical post on the Berhalter thread)

Players who do not ask for a transfer are entitled to a share in any fee if they are in fact transfered, plus in all probability various contractual bits and pieces. I would say that both Berhalter and Hopkin (and anybody else) will try to maximise these additional payments, SJ will try to minimise them. This is especially true for free transfer or very low fees, as the cut of the fee will be nothing or very little.

Duke
18-07-2002, 09:10 PM
Shall we start a collection so we can get rid of him!:o

sexyrazor
22-07-2002, 11:50 AM
I believe his contract is now all paid up and he has left the Club! :)

budgie
22-07-2002, 12:11 PM
With the contract he was on, I would imagine that it must have been quite a hefty payout.

This sickens me because the money coming in for Morrison is already been eaten up, Francis will be lucky if he sees a tenner of the £4mil to bring in new players.

Ruskin Old Boy
22-07-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by sexyrazor

Thank you for some good news:) :p

Daddy Long
22-07-2002, 04:41 PM
Blimey, some half decent news on a thoroughly depressing day. Thanks SR :)

g23
22-07-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by sexyrazor

ALL paid up? Two years at (a reported) £20K per week? Yikes.

Daddy Long
22-07-2002, 05:04 PM
Zowey!

Cleon
22-07-2002, 05:11 PM
Presumably some compromise has been reached - there would be no reason to totally pay out his contract. You'd be better off continuing to pay it off in installments throughout the two years, and hope for a career finishing injury that provides an insurance payout (that may be a sick thought, but so is selling Morrison for £4m to Birmingham).

My guess is that you'd agree a percentage payout of monies owed which would allow Hopkin to continue his career elsewhere without suffering too much of a blow in the wallet.

Richard
22-07-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by g23
ALL paid up? Two years at (a reported) £20K per week? Yikes.

That would be half the Morrison money gone already.

WorthingEagle
22-07-2002, 05:25 PM
I noticed Hopkin wasn't listed in the squad on the official website 3 weeks ago....thought nothing of it at the time, assumed it was a mistake!

So that leaves us with the following midfielders: Mullins, Riihilahti, Thomson. All hopelessly inconsistent.

Makes the decision to let Rodger go look even more ridiculous, at least you were guaranteed a 7/10 performance and some vicious set pieces.

Celestial Empire
22-07-2002, 05:35 PM
Speaking of Hoppo, I saw the other day that the first group of ex-players and tyro managers has just graduated from their FA course.
Alan Smith (58) was one of them.
:eek: :moo: :afro: :vader: :o :o

g23
22-07-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Richard

Well, if you take the guaranteed £3M sum for Morrison, subtract from it the notional Hopkin £2M(ish) payout, and the reported (by a Bradford chum of mine) £1M we still owe the Bantams for the fat, ginger, toothless one anyway, you're left with...um...Andy Johnson. Maybe.

Levski
22-07-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Richard

I feel ill.

Ruskin Old Boy
22-07-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Levski

I feel ill.

*passing the bucket*
;)

But look on the bright side: the fat one has gone:p

Levski
22-07-2002, 07:48 PM
Thanks Ruskin boy. Isn't it amazing how one instantly feels better after a good puke? A bit sore, but better.

:(

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
23-07-2002, 04:54 AM
All very sudden and slightly surprising. :eek:
And very expensive :sob:

What?
23-07-2002, 05:08 AM
I would rather have him at the club as back up and pay his wages than to goive him a big pay off and get rid of him with no fee!

Duke
23-07-2002, 05:31 PM
back up to what? If the hot dog seller calls in sick!

he was no use in the condition he was in. I would prefer a youngster to have a go.

at least you might see some commitment.

but you right - we shouldn;t have to pay him off.

Jordan should start including clauses into contract - so we can get rid of overweight and overpayed wasters.

first ruddock and now hopkin

917L
23-07-2002, 05:37 PM

back up to what? If the hot dog seller calls in sick!

ROFLMAO:D :cool:

Who Cares?
23-07-2002, 05:56 PM

but you right - we shouldn;t have to pay him off.

Jordan should start including clauses into contract - so we can get rid of overweight and overpayed wasters.

I don't think Jordan has any option on this one - I think it is a standard clause in all players contracts, negotiated by the PFA.

The only exception is breach of contract or club discipline - and even then "Piggy" Taylor and his merry men will probably fight the players case. In the unreal world of football even causing a double fracture of a workmates jaw, which in any other walk of life would mean instant dismissal needs "an internal enquiry" - which translates as "we can't sack him because the union will be down on us like a ton of bricks".

A professional athlete merely being overweight or permanently unfit apparently is not sufficient grounds to sack a player, at least without a handsome pay-off.

GOD
23-07-2002, 05:57 PM

Don't let my boss hear you say that :sob: he might get ideas!

wedgetail
23-07-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by GOD

Don't let my boss hear you say that !

GOD has a boss?

GOD
23-07-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by wedgetail

GOD has a boss?

I have to pay the bills somehow ;)

do you think those few coppers you put in the collection on Sunday go far do you?

Tony
23-07-2002, 07:34 PM
I take it you work in a creative industry, GOD?

britabroad
23-07-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Tony

yeh . . . but his contracts only last seven days.

g23
23-07-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by britabroad

Including rest!

Ruskin Old Boy
23-07-2002, 07:48 PM

Is there a Sanity Clause?

Del Boy
23-07-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy

Is there a Sanity Clause?

Yes. He comes down the chimney at Christmas.

britabroad
23-07-2002, 08:07 PM
thread successfully hijacked!

g23
23-07-2002, 08:22 PM
thread successfully hijacked!

Vanamos a Cooba! (or near offer)

britabroad
23-07-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by g23

Vanamos a Cooba! (or near offer)

a donde?

g23
23-07-2002, 08:32 PM
a donde?

a Cooba, gringo. Ay yam a pollidical refoojee.

britabroad
23-07-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by g23

a Cooba, gringo. Ay yam a pollidical refoojee.

ahhhhhh a Coooba! viva la revolution gringo!

GOD
23-07-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Tony

Steady on, 'Creative' is a very big word not to be used lightly... but yes you could say that ;)

Igor Iconic
23-07-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by GOD

Steady on, 'Creative' is a very big word not to be used lightly... but yes you could say that ;)

'creative' is a word too big for our midfield. Can't you work a wonder or something?

GOD
23-07-2002, 09:01 PM
The only thing Hopkin has created in midfield in the last year has been dents in the ground - sorry some things are even past my help!

Duke
23-07-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Who Cares?

A professional athlete merely being overweight or permanently unfit apparently is not sufficient grounds to sack a player, at least without a handsome pay-off.

then this is tosh - how can someone be paid to do a job that they just cannot do.

In any other job you would be "Let go" no pay no golden handshakes.

The players and the PFA have far to much control and it shows.

If the rules could be changed then maybe hoppo would have got of his lardy fat backside and run a few miles each day to get in shape. where is the incentive to do so? he gets paid for being a fat toad regardless.:(

GOD
23-07-2002, 09:30 PM
too true, if I kept missing the keyboard because I was too fat I can't see my boss paying off my contract before 'letting me go'

Socrates
23-07-2002, 09:56 PM
On the one hand we have had Steve Bruce villified for breaking his contract and on the other hand outrage that CPFC is honouring its contractual obligation to Hoppo - you can't have it both ways.

Ruskin Old Boy
23-07-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Socrates
On the one hand we have had Steve Bruce villified for breaking his contract and on the other hand outrage that CPFC is honouring its contractual obligation to Hoppo - you can't have it both ways.

A philosopher has spoken;)

PS shouldn't that read Hippo?:D

Beanie
24-07-2002, 02:44 AM

then this is tosh - how can someone be paid to do a job that they just cannot do.

Herein lies the problem - a footballers job is to play football. Unless there is some objective standards included his contract, or in existance at his work place that is all it is - and Hopkin can play football, just as a kid in the park can play football.

This is not unique to football - no worker can be sacked for inadequate performance if there is no objective standard in existance to measure performance against. And the key is OBJECTIVE - "he isn't good enough" isn't enough.

"Performance related" contracts for footballers - some chance!

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
27-07-2002, 07:19 AM

first ruddock and now hopkin

Pollock might be upset that you've left him out of the list. :sob:

PeterH
27-07-2002, 03:41 PM
Is Pollock still at Palace???

So Hoppo, Rodger and Kirovski have all gone. Morrison has almost gone and Berlhater may be prised away. In the in tray we have secured the services of Butterfield.

We should be getting AJ, Badbuy is injured as is Symons and Gray and Harrison (and Popovic). No one seems to know whether Austin has a future beyond pre season.

I would say we are a bit short of players, especially in Midfield.

Thompson, Aki, Hayden, Black, Gray and youngsters.

Am I stupidly missing anyone.

Right what about Leonhardson, what about Ardley or even Roberts, what about Koumas. What about this wombles striker we were supposed to be getting. Burnley players. What about giving us all a nice surprise and giving SR another year.

In defence, Adams or Dixon were not worth an approach for a year or so then.

Any chances of any of the above even being seriously considered. Oh and where are these Scandinavians we were supposed to be scouting for this summer, or is that just another free Jolly like Spain draining resources. More club b@llsh1t.

28-07-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by PeterH
Where are these Scandinavians we were supposed to be scouting for this summer, or is that just another free Jolly like Spain draining resources. More club b@llsh1t.

Good point and just what on earth has Mick Mills been doing since he 'allegedly' joined the payroll??

IMHO we should have dived in for Matt Elliott - I reckon we could have got him for a season for about 750k

Beckenham Eagle
29-07-2002, 11:14 PM
Just read on holmesdale.net that David Hopkin has left the club. (hooray!) He has the rest of his contract paid up and is now looking for a move to Scotland :p

Jimbo ?
30-07-2002, 01:18 AM
£1.5M well spent!!!!

Ralph
03-08-2002, 09:12 PM
Just to let you all know that the bbc web site is now reporting that hopkin has joined Dunfermline on a week long trial with a view to a permanent move.

I for one would like to wish him luck in regaining his form and making a success of this move! I still have many great memories and dreams thanks to him.