PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Jozy Altidore

ChaceTheAce
06-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Is Jozy Altidore an unrealistic suggestion?

He seems to bang goals in a fair bit. 38 goals in 67 games for AZ.

Wouldn't be a bad signing at all. He's young as well.

joe walker
06-06-2013, 10:47 AM
He was thrust into the spotlight after a good Confederations Cup in 2008(?), but had some dreadful/goal-shy spells at Villarreal and then Hull in the Prem.

Looks like finally proving his potential at AZ, wonder how much he would cost.

ChaceTheAce
06-06-2013, 10:48 AM
He was thrust into the spotlight after a good Confederations Cup in 2008(?), but had some dreadful/goal-shy spells at Villarreal and then Hull in the Prem.

Looks like finally proving his potential at AZ, wonder how much he would cost.
Can't be much more than £5million. I reckon that'd buy him.

Richwak
06-06-2013, 02:01 PM
great finish against germany!

Benzhiyi
06-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Funnily enough, thought the same thing watching the Eredivisie review of the season on ESPN over the weekend.

Would love this signing, and it actually feels like a realistic one.

Astrophical
06-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Honestly think he's a little out of our league. Really started to shine last year and he was gaining a big reputation. Can't see him trading AZ for us...

Sceagle
06-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Out of our league, clubs with more money want him

UZ!
07-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Lord no, I don't want the fat Robbie Findley on this squad.

ChaceTheAce
07-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Hmm, Maybe he is a little out of our league and doubt he would trade Champions League/Europa for us but who knows. Everybody is available at the right price.

nicobos
07-06-2013, 08:40 AM
he's had a fantastic season -saw a documentary on him on BBC world when on holiday a couple of months ago. He admitted that he was young and inexperienced at Hull and had a lot of pressure on him but he's a lot more settled and into his stride now. He'd be a great signing for us and I'd be genuinely excited to see him in our team but maybe he has higher aspirations for European football now...

Sceagle
07-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Lord no, I don't want the fat Robbie Findley on this squad.
He's a great player now.

Latvian Eagle
07-06-2013, 10:59 AM
I like Altidore and I don't think his spell at Hull was a fair reflection on how good he can be. Was he that unprolific at Villarreal? I barely noticed him playing that much. :eek: If we signed him I would be happy. :p

ChaceTheAce
07-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Plus, it'd be pretty cool to have an American player playing for us ;) haha

Funk Butter
11-06-2013, 05:50 PM
AZ's GM Earnest Stewart has denied reports that Altidore can be sold for 4 million euros and said that he hasn't heard from either Lazio or Schalke.
AZ director Earnie Stewart has denied reports that Lazio and Schalke have expressed interest in American striker Jozy Altidore.

"Those clubs have not reported themselves to AZ so I don't know anything about this," Stewart told Goal via email.

MLSsoccer.com reported that Lazio was interested in Altidore and listed Schalke as one of several clubs also in the running to sign the 23-year-old, with Altidore's agent, Lyle Yorks, confirming that plenty of clubs are interested in the physical striker.

Another report listed the asking price for Altidore at 4 million euros, but Stewart denied that there was an set figure at this point.

"Not at all accurate. We have never mentioned a price for Jozy," Stewart insisted.

Stewart wouldn't comment on the amount that he would want for the former Red Bulls starlet, but similar strikers in the Eredivisie are being listed for triple the amount reported.

Considering that Wilfred Bony, a striker who put up similar numbers to Altidore, is being listed between 10-15 million euros, it is very likely that AZ would hold out for a large transfer.
AZ have another American, Aron Jóhannsson, but he only got there in January. But he scored 3 goals in 5 matches, all off the bench.

CPFC_DAVE77
20-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Incidentally, for those that care...

Jozy Altidore might not be a household name yet, but he’s making a strong case to get there. Altidore, striker on the U.S. Men’s National soccer team, has been playing out of his mind during the World Cup qualifiers. He put the icing on the cake yesterday, scoring in the fourth consecutive game to tie a national team record.

SportsGrid (http://www.sportsgrid.com/soccer/jozy-altidore-sets-u-s-record-with-goal-further-erases-memories-of-landon-donovan/)

Norwich_Eagle
20-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Anyone who thinks that this would not be a great signing needs looking at. Andrew Johnson being the perfect example, if everyone based him solely on his performances for Birmingham they would be deluded. If you base him on his Palace career then he would be one of the best strikers ever.

How do we know that Jozy would not do the same thing in England that he has been doing in Holland?

sirdougie
20-06-2013, 09:14 AM
I'd be very happy with Alitdore. Subject to all the sensible fee/wage issues, blah blah.

Astrophical
20-06-2013, 09:58 AM
The fact of the matter is, he could do ALOT better than us.

brooklynlou
20-06-2013, 01:49 PM
I was concerned that his season in the Dutch league was a fluke but after the last two qualifying games the us has played he looks the real deal. Figured out how to be a target man and use his strength. Would live to have him.

El Kooch
20-06-2013, 01:52 PM
I was concerned that his season in the Dutch league was a fluke but after the last two qualifying games the us has played he looks the real deal. Figured out how to be a target man and use his strength. Would live to have him.
that's quite a commitment :p

Funk Butter
02-07-2013, 02:48 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/07/01/american-exports-jozy-altidore-drawing-interest-clubs-premier-league-bundesl

AMSTERDAM – The transfer scene around AZ Alkmaar goal monster Jozy Altidore is heating up, MLSsoccer.com has learned, with one mystery English Premier League side in deep talks over the US striker.

In all, the 23-year-old has interest from two clubs in the English top flight, two in Serie A and at least two in the Bundesliga. Oft-linked Sunderland are, in fact, one of the two Premier League admirers – but not necessarily the team to have progressed in negotiations.

Though Altidore's agent Lyle Yorks would not name any names, he did confirm that an English club had taken the lead in the chase for his client's services and they were "in advanced discussions with them."

However, UK tabloid reports claiming that Cardiff City, Celtic, Fulham and Norwich City were after Altidore have been found to be completely baseless.

Lego Knight
02-07-2013, 04:15 AM
Would be very happy if we tried to sign him. Don't see it happening though.

brooklynlou
02-07-2013, 05:10 AM
Would shit a pickle if we had him and Gayle up front.

Funk Butter
02-07-2013, 07:45 PM
The Shields Gazette, citing RTV Noord Holland, posted a story on its official website on July 2 that AZ has rejected Sunderland's first bid for the US international who scored 31 goals for his club across all competitions during the 2012-13 campaign. Reports are that the Black Cats offered in the neighborhood of £5m for Altidore. I had been informed that AZ were looking to bring in around £5-6m in any upcoming deal, but it's possible that Altidore's scintillating national team form has his current club seeing dollar signs.

Maybe a bid of 8.5M would get him?

Tom Archer
03-07-2013, 11:35 AM
He's a beast...get him!

brooklynlou
03-07-2013, 01:36 PM
PS. Don't forget the marketing potential of Jozy. All the PL games will be broadcast next year in the US. Whatever team Jozy joins up with in the PL will get a hell of a lot publicity and extra coverage.

Palace. Red blue and a hint of white. Plus an Eagle. We're Americas team :-)

Funk Butter
03-07-2013, 09:16 PM
AZ Alkmaar rejects offer of £ 4 million from Sunderland for Jozy Altidore. Dutch want around £ 7 million for the striker.
It will be up to 8.5M by the end of the week.

Funk Butter
05-07-2013, 09:04 PM
http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1492831/jozy-altidore-move-sunderland-agreed-sources-say?cc=5901
American striker Jozy Altidore is headed back to the Premier League.

Altidore's long-rumored transfer from Dutch club AZ Alkmaar to Sunderland in the Premiership has been agreed and is on course to be finalized Monday, sources close to the situation told ESPN FC.
Somebody get to the airport for an interception.

eagle101
05-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Any idea on the fee?

Funk Butter
05-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Any idea on the fee?

They rejected 5M pounds earlier this week. Maybe 7.5M total to get him? Altidore would have been a great foil for Gayle too. Not that we were ever in the mix for him or anything.

nicobos
05-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Oh, a real shame we didn't get this one - he could be a real force in the premiership ! Could make all the difference to an average Sunderland side ...

eagle69
06-07-2013, 09:33 AM
on SSN "sunderland agree fee with az alkmarr for jozy altidore"

NEXT

Funk Butter
09-07-2013, 08:01 PM
They rejected 5M pounds earlier this week. Maybe 7.5M total to get him? Altidore would have been a great foil for Gayle too. Not that we were ever in the mix for him or anything.

ITKers here are saying it was $13M. That's almost 9M in pounds. Wonder how much of that was after he scored 4 goals in 4 straight internationals, considering they were willing to accept 5M euros a few months ago.

Funk Butter
14-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Oh, a real shame we didn't get this one - he could be a real force in the premiership ! Could make all the difference to an average Sunderland side ...

Just hat-tricked Begovic and Bosnia in Sarajevo for the US team's 12 straight victory.

0kZH8EKoMWc
lcRfMhuoUak

El Kooch
14-08-2013, 08:39 PM
sign him up

sydnsteve
14-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Would be good but too dear for us I expect

SharkMan
14-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Already signed for Sunderland.