PDA

View Full Version : Gary O'Neil - Released by West Ham

Big Blue Eagle
10-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Metro reporting us as interested:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/10/crystal-palace-on-alert-after-west-ham-release-midfielder-gary-oneil-3834552/

Owngoal
10-06-2013, 09:35 AM
GF will say he is too old at 30..................
Hammers after Redmond who should be a target for us

JAS78
10-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Born in Beckenham aswell

Seems a good PL Pro

Kai
10-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Five years ago I would've been all over him but now? Meh..

T.C.
10-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Is there anyone we're not being linked with?

Maybe a good tactic by the club to show that we have plenty of options to try and avoid being turned-over.

Radders
10-06-2013, 10:09 AM

Don't think anyone gives a monkeys what GF says do they?

Kirby
10-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Very good player who can also take a set piece.

Unlike many 30-year-old Premier League players he is a hard worker. Similar to James Milner.

I certainly wouldn't be against it if his wages were reasonable. He has a fair amount of experience with promoted sides as well (Pompey, West Ham).

kolinkins
10-06-2013, 10:21 AM
I like him as a player - busy, good on the ball, versatile and experience at this level. Think he'd be very good for the squad.

mb23
10-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Would definitely take him.

Sir.S.C Remembered
10-06-2013, 10:25 AM
If he wages were reasonable then wouldn't he have come to an agreement with West Ham? Surely he's not stubborn enough to reject on the basis the wages were lower than before if he couldn't match or better it elsewhere in which case we wouldn't be that club.

Maybe at the end of the window if he's failed to get the wages he's after he'd be more realistic.

glaziers fan
10-06-2013, 10:25 AM

Look, it's quite simple: our squad is old. We don't need any more experienced players. We need youth. We have the experience around them for the youngsters to flourish. The likes of O'Neil and Burke will only depreciate in value. Redmond or Ince would increase in value (assuming we didn't pay stupid money).

If we were Watford, with a younger squad, I'd want to sign experience to help the current youngsters at the club. It's not rocket science: you ideally want a blend. FWIW I rate Burke. But if he wanted to play for us he should have signed last season. Like Adomah, he's missed his chance. We've moved on. They can **** right off our Premiership bandwagon.

glaziers fan
10-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Don't think anyone gives a monkeys what GF says do they?

No-one ever mentions you, that's for sure.

Ninja Eric
10-06-2013, 10:29 AM
He went to Ravensbourne School - I played against him when we were younger

Ralph
10-06-2013, 10:33 AM

You get a lot of stick on here, and I'm still not convinced you're not trolling but thats your best comeback yet.

:lux:

JAS78
10-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Look, it's quite simple: our squad is old. We don't need any more experienced players. We need youth. We have the experience around them for the youngsters to flourish. The likes of O'Neil and Burke will only depreciate in value. Redmond or Ince would increase in value (assuming we didn't pay stupid money).

If we were Watford, with a younger squad, I'd want to sign experience to help the current youngsters at the club. It's not rocket science: you ideally want a blend. FWIW I rate Burke. But if he wanted to play for us he should have signed last season. Like Adomah, he's missed his chance. We've moved on.

He's FREE

Don't be daft. Of course we need older experienced players, we are at much higher level which most of our squad - old and young - have never played at, it's about getting the mix right.

glaziers fan
10-06-2013, 10:48 AM
He's FREE

Don't be daft. Of course we need older experienced players, we are at much higher level which most of our squad - old and young - have never played at, it's about getting the mix right.

Wages. (I'm all for the correct blend, but of our first teamers, there's only Williams, Ward and Bolasie who are youngsters. You waste the Premiership opportunity if you don't give some youngsters an opportunity to appreciate in value imho)

gilesy14
10-06-2013, 10:51 AM

If we were Watford, with a younger squad, I'd want to sign experience to help the current youngsters at the club. It's not rocket science: you ideally want a blend. FWIW I rate Burke. But if he wanted to play for us he should have signed last season. Like Adomah, he's missed his chance. We've moved on. They can **** right off our Premiership bandwagon.

There's a difference between 'experienced Championship' player & 'experienced Premiership' players. We have a good number of the former, not so many of the latter - which we'll need.

Nigelbrag
10-06-2013, 10:56 AM
I would have to agree with "Kai" a few years ago yes, but now? he has had quite a few injuries also could never establish himself in a WH team even when they were struggling, so no. As "glaziers fan" says we need better and younger with sell on value, to me Thomas Ince would be perfect, can play as a winger or in a forward midfield role, so we should make every effort will be money well spent. And with Bolasie and Banton gives us all the wide options we would need.

Radders
10-06-2013, 10:59 AM

Possibly because I don't constantly talk shit from somewhere inside my bowel.

-N.W.A-
10-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Uncles a West Ham fan and so is a few of my mates and in all honesty he is quite highly rated. There opinion on Gabbidon was he is a class above Championship level if he could avoid injury. On the right wages then yes.

Radders
10-06-2013, 11:00 AM
You get a lot of stick on here, and I'm still not convinced you're not trolling but thats your best comeback yet.

:lux:

Really?

Thought that one was almost like self harming, making my point for me etc?

Oh well.:D

SteveyHawking
10-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Gary O'Neil would be a great signing if he fitness is not an issue. He's one of the only released players from the Premier League we should be interested in.

Billyd
10-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Was good a couple of years ago.

Not seen much of him of late so hard to judge.

Radders
10-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Was good a couple of years ago.

Not seen much of him of late so hard to judge.

Seemed to be playing quite a lot towards end of the season but has had injury problems in the past.

For the right wages may be worth it. Would be a good player to have in the squad should we not make Europe and get relegated too! Though, I expect us to easily qualify for the Champions League next season.

GreatGonzo
10-06-2013, 11:19 AM

Was is a young CB who came into the team at the end of the season and after getting up to speed meant we kept 4 clean sheets in our final 5 games? (Should have been 5 but for a bad day of the office from Speroni IMO)

Was it a youngster who stepped up to slam home the crucial penalty to take us up?

Players who have been there, and done it in the big games before will be crucial to our success next season. Yes a blend of youth and experience is good, yes we should look to develop some young players as well but we do not have an experienced PL midfielder at the club so if we are to bring in a CM there is a strong argument to make it an experienced PL one.

Billyd
10-06-2013, 11:20 AM
I like him as a player - busy, good on the ball, versatile and experience at this level. Think he'd be very good for the squad.

This isnt having a dig at you, but everyone on here! Everyone seems to know everything about every player. Either good signing etc etc or SHIT.

When was the last time any of you saw this guy play 90 mins?

P.S You seem to say every player we are linked with is going to be a good signing!

Including Gary Taylor-Fletcher!!! :D

Billyd
10-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Anyway would prefer to spend 2-3m on someone like Bridcutt.

Younger, improving, much higher potential re sale value, played alot more football recently. Less injury prone?

Ant.Palace
10-06-2013, 11:25 AM

Just because we don't mention Radders doesn't mean we don't rate his opinion.

He's just not a 'LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!!!!' type.

Radders
10-06-2013, 11:26 AM

When has a simple detail like that stopped any BBSer from stating their opinion as fact?:D

Radders
Just because we don't mention Radders doesn't mean we don't rate his opinion.

He's just not a 'LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!!!!' type.

I love you!:love:

Ralph
Really?

Thought that one was almost like self harming, making my point for me etc?

Oh well.:D

Oh don't get me wrong, he's a moron but for him that's his best comeback yet. He posts utter inane drivel but he rarely takes the bait when people pick him up for it.

Ant.Palace
10-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Younger, improving, much higher potential re sale value, played alot more football recently. Less injury prone?

..................and will be stealing one of Brighton's best players. :o

kolinkins
10-06-2013, 11:35 AM
This isnt having a dig at you, but everyone on here! Everyone seems to know everything about every player. Either good signing etc etc or SHIT.

You mean people have an opinion?

ONeil clearly has something about him played a fair number of games for side which stayed up comfortably. And he has experience, you cannot deny that hes played in the Premier League for a few sides.

P.S You seem to say every player we are linked with is going to be a good signing!

Including Gary Taylor-Fletcher!!! :D

Every player? I dont think so I do tend to these days avoid commenting on players I disagree with signing so perhaps that is why you think that.

GTF I could have seen the positives in us signing at the time our alternative was Jermaine Easter!

kolinkins
10-06-2013, 11:36 AM

Totally different players who play in different roles/positions.

GreatGonzo
10-06-2013, 11:45 AM

Never played at the highest level, could fail to make the step up, etc etc.

I agree i would rather see us go for him, but there is a good argument for O'Neil being a better option.

Played 17 games last year in the PL, and 20 overall.

Ifill Over
10-06-2013, 11:49 AM
I have never rated him, but we do need some players with Premier League experience. So open minded. Who ever wears our colours will get my full backing.

FromSelhurst
10-06-2013, 12:02 PM
very average player.

Ard
10-06-2013, 12:03 PM

We agree on something!

Have a feeling though that bigger sides like Villa want Bridcutt.

dannyboy1807
10-06-2013, 12:05 PM
I saw Gary O'Neil play against Tottenham at Upton Park last season he made one mistake because he was knackered and that was he couldn't get close enough to Bale and the boy put it in the top corner , he had marked him so well for most of the game but his legs could go on no more, we could do a lot worse work horse of a player.

this is what my West Ham mate said.

Bit of a cult figure at our place. I believe he still might sign a contract for us, although he is out of contract as of 1st July.

Good player, not exceptional. Reliable, not too much pace but a steady 6/7 out of 10 every week. Played consistently second half of season keeping one or two out of the squad. You could do alot worse. Needs pace around him

El Kooch
10-06-2013, 12:13 PM
yes PLEASE

CPFC_DAVE77
10-06-2013, 12:16 PM
I agree with Glaziers Fan - our squad is a bit on the old side. I am sure we will bring in a cluster of young players, soon.

Sceagle
10-06-2013, 12:35 PM
I'd take him but my gosh, it would be such a boring signing.

gold76
10-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Solid if unspectacular.

I know we need a bit of flair too, but O'Neill could do a job.

New LP
10-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Experienced player at this level which is what we need, as long as he is fit and not asking for ridiculous wages then I'd be happy with this.

Big Blue Eagle
10-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I'd take him but my gosh, it would be such a boring signing.

I would be happy with 5 boring signings that kept us up rather than "exciting" signings like Kaviedes, Torghelle, Sorondo, Ventola, Lakis, Kolkka etc who couldn't.

Kirby
10-06-2013, 12:41 PM
very average player.

In the Premier League.

alza_1999
10-06-2013, 12:44 PM

On one hand you criticise the poster for having a view on the other you give your own preference (and not for the player being discussed).

Just sayin'

Sceagle
10-06-2013, 12:45 PM
I would be happy with 5 boring signings that kept us up rather than "exciting" signings like Kaviedes, Torghelle, Sorondo, Ventola, Lakis, Kolkka etc who couldn't.
I don't think any of those were exciting, but yes I agree.

Ant.Palace
10-06-2013, 12:55 PM

I'd have another Sorondo (and a fit Ventola) easily.

917L
10-06-2013, 12:56 PM
I'd have another Sorondo (and a fit Ventola) easily.

And Kolkka

Billyd
10-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Totally different players who play in different roles/positions.

Really?

Other than age/experience. Id strong disagree.

Billyd
10-06-2013, 01:02 PM
On one hand you criticise the poster for having a view on the other you give your own preference (and not for the player being discussed).

Just sayin'

Ive seen Briducutt play 90 mins in excess of 8 times this season.

Just sayin.

Ant.Palace
10-06-2013, 01:02 PM
And Kolkka

Yeah, Kolkka was ok too (even if he did like to cut onto his right side all the time).

Billyd
10-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Just reading some West Ham views on him and looks better prospect than I originally thought to be honest. Also playing 17 of the last 20 games is a decent amount.
Overall Id rather we invested in a bit of money in someone like Bridcutt. However in a 1/2 year deal we could do certainly do worse and wouldnt be against this.

glaziers fan
10-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Was is a young CB who came into the team at the end of the season and after getting up to speed meant we kept 4 clean sheets in our final 5 games? (Should have been 5 but for a bad day of the office from Speroni IMO)

Was it a youngster who stepped up to slam home the crucial penalty to take us up?

Players who have been there, and done it in the big games before will be crucial to our success next season. Yes a blend of youth and experience is good, yes we should look to develop some young players as well but we do not have an experienced PL midfielder at the club so if we are to bring in a CM there is a strong argument to make it an experienced PL one.

I think the difference between Championship and Premiership is huge, not just in terms of talent but also style. In Premiership, experience is not enough, you need youthful exuberance and pace. In Championship, experience is crucial. Again, just my opinion.

stevek
10-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Fulham seem to have made quite a success of staying up (and more) with a team much more based on experience than youth, while Villa's youth first policy nearly relegated them.

rhynoeagle
10-06-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't think any of those were exciting, but yes I agree.

:eek: Sorondo and Ventola not exciting? Inter Milan players for goodness sake!

Billyd
10-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Fulham seem to have made quite a success of staying up (and more) with a team much more based on experience than youth, while Villa's youth first policy nearly relegated them.

However, Fulham have a poorish academy who dont give their youngsters much or any chance even if they are any good. Instead Fulham will quite happily purchase journeymen foreigners. They are able to this with a very wealthy owner. Whilst yes, it does keep them up every season, id like to think its not what Palace is about.

THETwins
10-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Westham ST holder:

One of our better players, most consistent by a mile, just knocked the ball about simple, tackled well and tried to get over to the right flank where he could. West Ham want to keep him but he was signed on a big salary and they want to cut it. Palace would suit him cos hes a Bexley boy.

Radders
10-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Just reading some West Ham views on him and looks better prospect than I originally thought to be honest. Also playing 17 of the last 20 games is a decent amount.
Overall Id rather we invested in a bit of money in someone like Bridcutt. However in a 1/2 year deal we could do certainly do worse and wouldnt be against this.

Agree with this on the whole but I imagine Bridcutt would have about 1000 more reasons not to sign for Palace than O'Neill would.

alza_1999
10-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Ive seen Briducutt play 90 mins in excess of 8 times this season.

Just sayin.

"Prefer"

Just sayin'

AJ8
10-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Would be a great signing. Some crazy people on here.

GreatGonzo
10-06-2013, 01:50 PM
However, Fulham have a poorish academy who dont give their youngsters much or any chance even if they are any good. Instead Fulham will quite happily purchase journeymen foreigners. They are able to this with a very wealthy owner. Whilst yes, it does keep them up every season, id like to think its not what Palace is about.

Think it was more a re-buttle to GF's comment on you needing pace and youth over experience in the PL.

Our PL experience is:

Ramage -51
KG - 13
Wilbraham - 11
Dobbie - 9
Speroni - 6
Ward - 3

Total of all players with us next season - 93 and over half of the total is Ramage!

stevek
10-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Westham ST holder:

One of our better players, most consistent by a mile, just knocked the ball about simple, tackled well and tried to get over to the right flank where he could. West Ham want to keep him but he was signed on a big salary and they want to cut it. Palace would suit him cos hes a Bexley boy.

I think hed be a good signing, but this makes me think it wont happen. If West Ham think his wages are too high, his wages will be too high for us. And if hes willing to take a pay cut, isnt he more likely to take one at West Ham and re-sign there?

carter
10-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Think it was more a re-buttle to GF's comment on you needing pace and youth over experience in the PL.

Our PL experience is:

Ramage -51
KG - 13
Wilbraham - 11
Dobbie - 9
Speroni - 6
Ward - 3

Total of all players with us next season - 93 and over half of the total is Ramage!

Gabbidon too

GreatGonzo
10-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Gabbidon too

Like Phillips, he is not yet signed up for next year is he?

Selhurst Celtic
10-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Delaney played in the top flight for Leicester City too.

kolinkins
10-06-2013, 02:01 PM

Option taken up, so I think he is

Absolution
10-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Fulham seem to have made quite a success of staying up (and more) with a team much more based on experience than youth, while Villa's youth first policy nearly relegated them.Villa's youth polices would have been fine if Houllier hadn't wasted 18m+ on Darren Bent instead of investing in 3/4 players for the same cost.

917L
10-06-2013, 02:02 PM

I thought he had (tweets from Ramage seem to confirm it also)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2335655/Crystal-Palace-defender-Danny-Gabbidon-signs-new-contract.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Billyd
10-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Agree with this on the whole but I imagine Bridcutt would have about 1000 more reasons not to sign for Palace than O'Neill would.

Try telling Glenn Murray that ;)

In all serious though. We could offer Bridcutt 1st team Premier League football. He wouldnt have to move house. Would get a pay rise and longer contract.
Im sure hes 23/24? now so hes certainly getting to an age where he needs to step up.

O'Neil on the other hand has just said he wants to stay at West Ham, where hes just got into the starting team. Could we match their wages they paid him? Would he want to be in a relegation scrap?

stevek
10-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Villa's youth polices would have been fine if Houllier hadn't wasted 18m+ on Darren Bent instead of investing in 3/4 players for the same cost.

So, for example, if he'd spent the money on some more experienced players?

Billyd
10-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Gabbidon too

and Phillips & Delaney.

Frisky
10-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Despite the efforts of CPFC2010 to explain at various times, there remains a common misconception that signing a player "for free" costs nothing despite the simple fact that IH could easily blow 40m this summer without spending a penny on transfer fees.

As part of the new financial arrangements it would help fans understanding if clubs had to capitalise contract values for players and report these (assuming zero sell on fees and that all up front player costs are amortized uniformly over the contract term). Eg:

Wayne Andrews (2 yr contract, 100k fee, 2k pw wages say) = 100k + 208k = 308k capitalise cost. Annual "cost" in accounts 154k.

Darren Ambrose (4 yr contract, no fee, 7.5kpw wages say) = 0 + 1.56m = 1.56m capitalised cost. Annual "cost" of 390k in the accounts.

So Darren was "free" but was clearly not cheaper than Wayne.

[Of course Darren went on to be sold for 0.25m at the end of 3 years so that released a 640k curtailment (390k wages + 250 transfer fee). So his overall cost was actually 920k - or 307k pa].

GreatGonzo
10-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Delaney played in the top flight for Leicester City too.

You are right, chalk up another 8 games to scrape into 3 figures.

Gabbidon (hadn't seen he'd signed) adds 113 to the total.

Shows why getting Gabbidon and Phillips on board are important despite some questioning the moves.

We lack players who have been there.

carter
10-06-2013, 02:15 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22773369

AJ8
10-06-2013, 02:30 PM
We can throw Jules and Joel Ward in for Premiership
experience, albeit for another 10 or so appearances

Norwich_Eagle
10-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Would be a very good signing but I doubt we would afford his wages. I would have rather experience in the Premier League with the odd young player playing the odd game unless they are really fantastic like Williams.

On a side note I think Premier League experience is not the only thing to be looked at you need to look at International Experience as well, players like Parr, Jedinak and KG could be invaluable for Palace next season but in theory none of them have top-flight experience.

rhynoeagle
10-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Despite the efforts of CPFC2010 to explain at various times, there remains a common misconception that signing a player "for free" costs nothing despite the simple fact that IH could easily blow 40m this summer without spending a penny on transfer fees.

As part of the new financial arrangements it would help fans understanding if clubs had to capitalise contract values for players and report these (assuming zero sell on fees and that all up front player costs are amortized uniformly over the contract term). Eg:

Wayne Andrews (2 yr contract, 100k fee, 2k pw wages say) = 100k + 208k = 308k capitalise cost. Annual "cost" in accounts 154k.

Darren Ambrose (4 yr contract, no fee, 7.5kpw wages say) = 0 + 1.56m = 1.56m capitalised cost. Annual "cost" of 390k in the accounts.

So Darren was "free" but was clearly not cheaper than Wayne.

[Of course Darren went on to be sold for 0.25m at the end of 3 years so that released a 640k curtailment (390k wages + 250 transfer fee). So his overall cost was actually 920k - or 307k pa].

Bit of a null point because on a "free" transfer this is still removing a hell of a lot of the costs compared to the ones we'd pay a fee upfront for. So someone on a bosman would still be much more financially logical.

Billyd
10-06-2013, 02:48 PM
You are right, chalk up another 8 games to scrape into 3 figures.

Gabbidon (hadn't seen he'd signed) adds 113 to the total.

Shows why getting Gabbidon and Phillips on board are important despite some questioning the moves.

We lack players who have been there.

2 seasons ago Norwich & Swansea both stayed up. Both started with squads on players who had hardly kicked a ball in the Premier League.

Someone could check this but im sure Norwich's starting 11 for its first game back in the Prem had 0 players who had played in the Premiership?

Likewise Southampton this season (although spent decent money) also had almost no Premier League experience.

I think CPFC2010 has said before it would follow these clubs models of doing things (buying young lower league players on smaller wages with potential re sale value). Like I said im not completely against O'Neil signing but we certainly need to be careful.

Ollie Ox
10-06-2013, 02:50 PM

OOOHHHH :o

Ron Dogers
10-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Bit of a null point because on a "free" transfer this is still removing a hell of a lot of the costs compared to the ones we'd pay a fee upfront for. So someone on a bosman would still be much more financially logical.

These quotes are a bit skewed -

if you compare an expensive free and a modest transfer paid signing ok but compare a free and try the same player with a fee built in and then do the math

Although, and it's well known that decent "Frees" often require a chunky signing on fee?

carter
10-06-2013, 03:01 PM
2 seasons ago Norwich & Swansea both stayed up. Both started with squads on players who had hardly kicked a ball in the Premier League.

Someone could check this but im sure Norwich's starting 11 for its first game back in the Prem had 0 players who had played in the Premiership?

Likewise Southampton this season (although spent decent money) also had almost no Premier League experience.

I think CPFC2010 has said before it would follow these clubs models of doing things (buying young lower league players on smaller wages with potential re sale value). Like I said im not completely against O'Neil signing but we certainly need to be careful.

I think that is true.

Just looked at their signings that summer they first got into the Prem again and all the players were lower leagued apart from loan signings and James Vaughan who mostly played lower league and Daniel Ayala from Liverpool. We should take this route IMO and loan young players from Prem. We should take advantage of the London teams like Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea who are willing to loan out players. Who would they rather go to? Us or someone like Hull? Us as they won't have to move

sydnsteve
10-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Oneill is a v good player. If wham can't afford him tho doubt we can

Billyd
10-06-2013, 03:12 PM

Curiosity got the better of me. Here are the signings of Norwich & Swansea for the past couple of season.

Norwich

Anthony Pilkington Undisclosed
James Vaughan Free
Steve Morison 2,500,000
Elliott Bennett 1,500,000
Bradley Johnson Free
Daniel Ayala 800,000
Jonathan Howson 2,000,000

Steven Whittaker Free
Jacob Butterfield Tribunal
Robert Snodgrass 2,500,000
Michael Turner 1,500,000
Sebastien Bassong 4,000,000
Alexander Tettey Undisclosed
Mark Bunn 1,000,000
Lee Camp Free
Luciano Becchio Swap

Swansea

Leroy Lita 1,750,000
Michel Vorm 1,500,000
Wayne Routledge 2,000,000
Gerhard Tremmel Free
Darnel Situ Buyente 250,000
Federico Bessone Free
Danny Graham 3,500,000
Jose Moreira Undisclosed
Rory Donnelly 100,000
Scott Sinclair 500,000

Jose Manuel Flores (chico) 2,000,000
Michu 2,000,000
Kyle Bartley 1,000,000
Jamie Proctor Undisclosed
Ki Sung-Yueng 6,000,000
Pablo 5,550,000

You will notice other than perhaps a couple of those center backs not a massive amount of experience signed. Nearly all the rest under 30 and never played in the Premiership. You will also notice despite having to pay a fee originally how much more some of those players are now worth!

Billyd
10-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Also neither really got any Cort, Zamora, AJ, Bosingwa, O'Neil ;) type (QPR) signings.

Sir.S.C Remembered
13-06-2013, 06:06 AM
Curiosity got the better of me. Here are the signings of Norwich & Swansea for the past couple of season.

Norwich

James Vaughan Free
Steve Morison 2,500,000
Bradley Johnson Free
Daniel Ayala 800,000

Steven Whittaker Free
Michael Turner 1,500,000
Mark Bunn 1,000,000
Lee Camp Free
Luciano Becchio Swap

Swansea

Leroy Lita 1,750,000
Michel Vorm 1,500,000
Gerhard Tremmel Free
Federico Bessone Free
Danny Graham 3,500,000
Jose Moreira Undisclosed
Rory Donnelly 100,000
Scott Sinclair 500,000

Michu 2,000,000
Kyle Bartley 1,000,000
Ki Sung-Yueng 6,000,000
Pablo 5,550,000

You will notice other than perhaps a couple of those center backs not a massive amount of experience signed. Nearly all the rest under 30 and never played in the Premiership. You will also notice despite having to pay a fee originally how much more some of those players are now worth!

Thanks. That's very interesting and should make us all evaluate again as many have been suggesting we need a blend of proven experience etc

Mictor Voses
13-06-2013, 06:45 AM
[QUOTE=Billyd]Curiosity got the better of me. Here are the signings of Norwich & Swansea for the past couple of season.

Norwich

James Vaughan Free
Steve Morison 2,500,000
Bradley Johnson Free
Daniel Ayala 800,000

Steven Whittaker Free
Michael Turner 1,500,000
Mark Bunn 1,000,000
Lee Camp Free
Luciano Becchio Swap

Swansea

Leroy Lita 1,750,000
Michel Vorm 1,500,000
Gerhard Tremmel Free
Federico Bessone Free
Danny Graham 3,500,000
Jose Moreira Undisclosed
Rory Donnelly 100,000
Scott Sinclair 500,000

Michu 2,000,000
Kyle Bartley 1,000,000
Ki Sung-Yueng 6,000,000
Pablo 5,550,000

You will notice other than perhaps a couple of those center backs not a massive amount of experience signed. Nearly all the rest under 30 and never played in the Premiership. You will also notice despite having to pay a fee originally how much more some of those players are now worth![/QUOTE

Very interesting. A key balance of buying experience and buying the best from the Championship in both. Hopefully we can emulate!

Owngoal
13-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Vaughn was a real bargain for Norwich on a free from Everton when we had a deal to buy him for a million 'gazumped' by them???

SteveyHawking
13-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Vaughan cost Norwich 2.5M did he not?

Sceagle
13-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Vaughan cost Norwich 2.5M did he not?
Yes, he did. Pretty sure he was an Everton youngster and they bought him...

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
28-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Signed new deal at WHU

DARZET EAGLE
28-06-2013, 06:42 PM
I'm very pleased about that, close thread.

bigend1
04-07-2013, 04:14 PM
apparently not signed a new deal yet...

Naboo
04-07-2013, 04:35 PM
he has according to sky?

Super-Ste-Cious
04-07-2013, 04:38 PM
From David Gold, West Ham owner: "Gary O'Neil has not signed a new deal and we wish him well in his new in devours."

Excowboy
04-07-2013, 04:43 PM
From David Gold, West Ham owner: "Gary O'Neil has not signed a new deal and we wish him well in his new in devours."

He's becoming a competitive eater?

Super-Ste-Cious
04-07-2013, 04:45 PM
He's becoming a competitive eater?

Lol. That was just copied & pasted (I didnt even notice).

Gathers54
04-07-2013, 04:47 PM
I thought it was done and dusted

Naboo
04-07-2013, 05:02 PM
be a good shout if available on a free - some premier league experience in the middle of the park will be vital i think. Would prefer vaughan if we can get him though

gold76
04-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Local lad, would represent reasonable value

rainbow_child
04-07-2013, 10:30 PM
I saw him interviewed on Sky the other day say how happy he was to be staying on at West Ham, glad the new contract was all sorted, wonder what happened then?

Riccardo
05-07-2013, 02:51 PM
I saw hin interviewed on Sky the other day say how happy he was to be staying on at West Ham, glad the new contract was all sorted, wonder what happened then?

Part of the contract was that he actually had to live in east London.

Andycol
05-07-2013, 04:17 PM
I think he would be a good bosman, on a year deal. Looking at the West Ham forum, they seem convinced he's going to Cardiff though..

Riccardo
05-07-2013, 04:33 PM
I'd drive him to Cardiff.

Terribly overrated.

mylona
05-07-2013, 04:49 PM
I think he would be a good bosman, on a year deal. Looking at the West Ham forum, they seem convinced he's going to Cardiff though..

He's 30 with a dodgy ankle

BBK
05-07-2013, 05:15 PM
I'd drive him to Cardiff.

Terribly overrated.

Couldn't agree more.

Andycol
05-07-2013, 05:39 PM
He's 30 with a dodgy ankle

I'm not saying give him a 5 year deal. give him a year, maybe loaded towards games played, and see how we go. If he doesn't play much for whatever reason,
no major issue. Might even work out well!

GodstoneEagle
20-07-2013, 08:12 PM
qpr

Typical Palace
20-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Do you think some of these players are opting for the easy life, going to the Hoopies? Paid as much as in a Premier team, but playing in the Championship.

Or do you think they're brave an principled, not staying in the Prem for the sake of it and up for the thrill of a promotion push, prepared to play Tuesday Saturday for 9 months?