PDA

View Full Version : Berhalter Interest / Latest

Dartford Lad
09-07-2002, 04:17 PM
Iraklis coach Ivan Jovanovic is considering making a bid for USA international defender Gregg Berhalter.

The 29-year-old, who featured in two matches for the States in the 2002 World Cup, currently applies his trade in the English first division with Crystal Palace.
.................................................. ..........................................

This is from soccernet.

Dartford Lad
09-07-2002, 08:20 PM
Gregg Berhalter may leave Palace for Greek club Iraklis within the week.

Berhalter impressed in the two matches he played during the World Cup for USA, however he has remained on the transfer list after Trevor Francis stated that he would still not fit into his plans for the coming season.

According to planetfootball.com, Iraklis are thought to have agreed an undisclosed fee for Berhalter, and he is expected to fly to Thessaloniki, Greece in the next few days to discuss personal terms.

ozeagle
09-07-2002, 08:28 PM
any Aussies / Kiwi's recall this enigmatic but brilliant pacer.....

good riddance to Berhalter, pants since i got here..

:p

c_block_lad
09-07-2002, 08:36 PM
Why are we gonna get rid of Gregg? He is a good player and played well in the world cup. So we go get rid of him.:rolleyes: Just another reason why Francis is not the right man for the job.

Beanie
09-07-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
Why are we gonna get rid of Gregg? He is a good player and played well in the world cup. So we go get rid of him.:rolleyes: Just another reason why Francis is not the right man for the job.

Whether we should keep or sell Berhalter I'm not sure, but I do wish we could stop hearing "he played in the world cup - he must be good" it doesn't work like that. Not sure if he's right or wrong, but I respect Francis for sticking to his guns - if Berhalter wasn't right for the team before the world cup, he's still not right for us now. Two games and a hand ball on the line don't change the player.

Walrus
10-07-2002, 04:56 AM
Good luck to Gregg if he goes to Greece.

Some may say he wasn't given a great chance by Francis AND Bruce, some may say he didn't do too much to impress when chances came his way.

Not a bad player by any means (based on what I saw) but surely lads like Will Antwi can warm the bench just as well and perhaps show more potential.

What?
10-07-2002, 06:03 AM
Bleedin Eck! Why cant we give him a go? :veryangry

Ruskin Old Boy
10-07-2002, 12:06 PM
Madness...if he was going because Palace wanted to reduce the wage bill I could understand but Francis claims he's no good :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the Ian Dury thread elsewhere on BBS... knock me down with a feather, clever Trevor...

Cleon
10-07-2002, 01:53 PM
If we get a fee for Berthalter, then I'd sell him, as would most before his recent good show in the World Cup. He's a good player - a better player than the English First Division has allowed him to be seen - but he's not the right man for us.

It's not just Francis that has largely ignored him, Bruce also did. Remember he was on trial at Huddersfield when Bruce was manager there, and Bruce chose not to take him then. Bruce inherited him at Palace after he was given a contract following our avoidance of Division Two, but clearly he was not rated.

If we got, say, 200k for him, and that enabled us the keep Morrison for six more months, or allow us to offer Freedman a new contract when his current one expires next summer, I would be a very happy man.

nookiebear
10-07-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
Just another reason why Francis is not the right man for the job.

Francis isn't the first manager not to select Greg on a regular basis.

Neither Bruce or Smith did, either. In fact, the only manager who did select him regularly was Steve Kember, for those two wins against Portsmouth and Stockport.

I think he should be given a chance, but three out of four of our last managers don't. They must see something in training to suggest he's not good enough.

Beanie
10-07-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Madness...if he was going because Palace wanted to reduce the wage bill I could understand but Francis claims he's no good :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the Ian Dury thread elsewhere on BBS... knock me down with a feather, clever Trevor...

Francis has NOT said he is no good - he has said that he is not the player he needs at Palace. There is a very big difference. Having said that, apart from two games I haven't seen that much that makes me belief he is that brilliant, three managers have all felt he was not what Palace wanted - one manager picked him for two games. A time comes when you have to go with the majority.

Good luck to him in Greece or wherever he ends up.

Celestial Empire
10-07-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
If we get a fee for Berthalter, then I'd sell him, as would most before his recent good show in the World Cup. He's a good player - a better player than the English First Division has allowed him to be seen - but he's not the right man for us.

It's not just Francis that has largely ignored him, Bruce also did. Remember he was on trial at Huddersfield when Bruce was manager there, and Bruce chose not to take him then. Bruce inherited him at Palace after he was given a contract following our avoidance of Division Two, but clearly he was not rated.

If we got, say, 200k for him, and that enabled us the keep Morrison for six more months, or allow us to offer Freedman a new contract when his current one expires next summer, I would be a very happy man.

A very good post Sir !
Absolutely nothing against Greg, but I'd far rather sell a fringe player than one of our rising stars - it's actually a bit of a relief (assuming it happens - hasn't Greg got a difficult agent ?:eek: )

Sir JB
10-07-2002, 07:05 PM
No Palace manager has ever given Berhalter a chance :(

Beanie
10-07-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Sir JB
No Palace manager has ever given Berhalter a chance :(

This may be true in terms of appearences on the pitch - but four of them have had him on the training ground, and as you say none of them have felt the urge to put him in the team. Even when Symons and Popovic were injured we loaned players, before that we had Vickers on loan. Surely there has to be a reason why all the managers he's played for at Palace have had the same view, and why they would rather pay for an extra player (not to mention being able to justify that to SJ).

I'm not trying knock Berhalter - but there MUST be a reason.

Sir JB
10-07-2002, 07:19 PM
I agree. I mean, he also picked Austin infront of him week-in week-out as well...

N Herts Eagle
10-07-2002, 08:02 PM
Having seen most of Greggs games for Palace and watched him in the World Cup my opinion fpr what its worth is why he certainly has some skills in man marking for instance but I believe his defensive abilities are lacking especially when heading far to many times his weak heading abilities created problems when defending. As such he can only be seen as a fringe player and I much prefer to see Popovic Symons or Granville in the side anytime.

PoolKing
11-07-2002, 04:32 PM
Why is Francis determined to sell Berhalter? Surely his solid displays at the world cup made Francis reconsider his decision to sell Greg.

Every time he has played for palace he has looked very accomplished, whilst he hasn't been outstanding he has rarely put a foot wrong.

If Trevor wants to get rid of a defender then he should get rid of Symons. Kit Symons is to old and injury plagued. Greg Berhalter also is much more versatile and has a longer playing career ahead of him than Symons.

Dartford Lad
11-07-2002, 04:36 PM
Your insane. :eek:

PoolKing
11-07-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Dartford Lad
Your insane. :eek:

I'm not insane mate, just realistic!:D

917L
11-07-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by PoolKing

Every time he has played for palace he has looked very accomplished, whilst he hasn't been outstanding he has rarely put a foot wrong.

You jest surely?

This is one of the few times that you can see TF's point of view, he worked with the player for 6 months and knows his attributes why should 2 decent games in the world cup change his mind??:rolleyes:

Sandowneagle
11-07-2002, 04:40 PM
You must have been watching different games to me. I don't dislike Behalter but I would say he is no better than Dean Austin when playing as a centre back in the first division. Behalter is not fit enough to lace Symons boots.

Cynical Eagle
11-07-2002, 04:51 PM
Sandown...thats the biggest load of b*****s i have ever heard....he has been playing well for US....dean Austin has never played well for anyone !!!

Maybe the reason he does not play well for us is more to do with the man management...or lack of it !!!!!!

PoolKing
11-07-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Sandowneagle
Behalter is not fit enough to lace Symons boots.

That's a bit harsh! Symons is hardly the most feared defender in div 1.

bald-eagle
11-07-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Cynical Eagle
Sandown...thats the biggest load of b*****s i have ever heard....he has been playing well for US....dean Austin has never played well for anyone !!!

Maybe the reason he does not play well for us is more to do with the man management...or lack of it !!!!!!

Oh God.......here we go again.:sob:

Dartford Lad
11-07-2002, 04:58 PM

That's a bit harsh! Symons is hardly the most feared defender in div 1.

Neither is Berhalter!

GOD
11-07-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Cynical Eagle

Oh of course it's TF fault that Greg can't trap a bag of sand :rolleyes:

PoolKing
11-07-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Dartford Lad

Neither is Berhalter!

I'm not saying Berhalter is! I'm just stating that your comparison between Berhalter and Symons was unfair. Berhalter is not fit enough to lace Rio Ferdinand's boots but Symons' are definitely laceable!

g23
11-07-2002, 05:08 PM
For a while, I thought Gregg's last name was hyphenated - the first four or five times I heard it, the commentator was always saying:

Good run from [insert opposition centre-forward's name here], beats one man...turns Berhalter-Penalty!

David of Kent
11-07-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Sandowneagle
Behalter is not fit enough to lace Symons boots.

It's a shame that judging on what we've seen (or not) of him so far, Symons is also rarely fit enough to lace his own boots.

Ralph
11-07-2002, 05:22 PM
Kit Symons is to old and injury plagued.

Head ,the, Nail, Hit, On.

Jaffa
11-07-2002, 05:23 PM
Isnt Kit Symons 29?

Duke
11-07-2002, 05:40 PM
Kit is 31 I think.

And this is the first serious injury that he has ever had. So hardly injury prone and past it. He has about 3 or 4 years ahead of him.

I think this year we will see a great pairing of him and popovic.

eagle mart
11-07-2002, 05:45 PM
What a load of uninformed crap. What this shows is when Berhalter has a run in the side he is a useful player. He played at the end of Alan Smiths rein and helped keep us up in the division (did anyone complain that he was offered a contract then? - in fact when Jordan said that he got a round of applause at the fans forum) He has since been left/hung out to dry and yet somehow still manages to keep his place in the US squad. The world cup comes along and he plays in practically every friendly (marking Vieri very well) and then plays a leading role in the US teams second stage. Francis just doesn't like him - it's got nothing to do with his playing ability. Francis says that two good games in the world cup doesn't change his opinion, I don't believe that for a second. Francis is either too stubborn to admit he could be wrong (deja Vu?) or he has his own agenda. And another thing if you saw Popovic once or twice in his first couple of weeks you wouldn't have seen the player we hold in high regard now.
Each stupid decision that Francis makes firstly makes me angry and secondly makes me start to feel disillusioned. I can't remember an eve to a season where I feel like jacking it all in - I'm starting to feel like I just can't be bothered anymore. I wonder if crowds will be down this year......

Riccardo
11-07-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by eagle mart
What a load of uninformed crap. What this shows is when Berhalter has a run in the side he is a useful player. He played at the end of Alan Smiths rein and helped keep us up in the division (did anyone complain that he was offered a contract then? - in fact when Jordan said that he got a round of applause at the fans forum) He has since been left/hung out to dry and yet somehow still manages to keep his place in the US squad. The world cup comes along and he plays in practically every friendly (marking Vieri very well) and then plays a leading role in the US teams second stage. Francis just doesn't like him - it's got nothing to do with his playing ability. Francis says that two good games in the world cup doesn't change his opinion, I don't believe that for a second. Francis is either too stubborn to admit he could be wrong (deja Vu?) or he has his own agenda. And another thing if you saw Popovic once or twice in his first couple of weeks you wouldn't have seen the player we hold in high regard now.
Each stupid decision that Francis makes firstly makes me angry and secondly makes me start to feel disillusioned. I can't remember an eve to a season where I feel like jacking it all in - I'm starting to feel like I just can't be bothered anymore. I wonder if crowds will be down this year......

Excellent post. Agree 100%.

Beanie
11-07-2002, 07:08 PM

I'm not insane mate, just realistic!:D

How can you say Symons is "injury plagued" - he has had one injury, admittedly a bad one which kept him out a long time, but still one injury.

I very much doubt TF saw anything in the two US games that he hasn't seen on the training ground, so I would doubt the two World Cup games would effect his thinking. I believe the key could have been mentioned above - Berhalter seems a good man-marker. TF didn't say he was a poor player, just not the player for Palace. If there is no plan to employ a man marker, and there is seldom a need in Div 1, then perhaps TF is right - there is no role for Berhalter at the club. The only reason for keeping him would be if on the occasions when a man-marker is useful (Dean Sturridge, Marcus Stewart, I'm a bit stuck beyond that) Berhalter gets a game. Two questions - can that be justified financially? If the defience plays one way in most games, wouldn't it be a big risk to change it for the odd game? Football is a team game, if a player - no matter how good - doesn't fit, then he serves no purpose.

James
11-07-2002, 11:17 PM
I have posted this in the General palace discussion forum, as I asked there what the financial deal might have been. However it is relevent to this thread:

United States defender Gregg Berhalter has agreed on a transfer to first division soccer club Iraklis Thessaloniki, but must first settle a financial problem in London with Crystal Palace, the Greek team said Thursday. A spokesman for Iraklis said Berhalter flew to London "to claim some money owed to him by the British club."

"He appeared very satisfied with the deal reached in Thessaloniki and expressed his desire to join Iraklis." spokesman Vassilis Voulgarakis told the Associated Press. According to Voulgarakis, Crystal Palace has asked Berhalter to relinquish a financial claim in return for his freedom to join Iraklis. He would not say what the claim was.

The 29-year-old Berhalter, who played with the American team in the 2002 World Cup, also has an Irish passport, which he used in his negotiations with Iraklis. The Greek club wants to acquire him as a European Union player, not an American. The defender agreed with Iraklis for a one-year contract with an option for of two more, Voulgarakis said. He did not reveal the financial terms involved.

Berhalter appeared to be in perfect physical condition after a series of medical examinations he underwent on Wednesday. Iraklis finished the 26-round Greek first division league in sixth place with 36 points and will participate in next season's UEFA cup.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
11-07-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Beanie

How can you say Symons is "injury plagued" - he has had one injury, admittedly a bad one which kept him out a long time, but still one injury.

Just a few hours after posting this and we learn Kit is injured again and needs another op.

I'm not writing the guy off - and he may well recover fully - but I have to admit that at the moment I am a bit conerned about his fitness. (ditto for Popovic).

Ruskin Old Boy
12-07-2002, 01:53 AM
In the words of Ian Dury...What a waste...

TF is the cross we all have to bear
:sob:

Yanqui
12-07-2002, 02:35 AM
Berhalter has agreed on the terms with Iraklis but has returned to London to settle a financial matter with Palace. He says the club still owes him money.

http://sports.yahoo.com/m/sow/news/ap/20020711/ap-iraklis-berhalter.html

Beanie
12-07-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash

Just a few hours after posting this and we learn Kit is injured again and needs another op.

I'm not writing the guy off - and he may well recover fully - but I have to admit that at the moment I am a bit conerned about his fitness. (ditto for Popovic).

This may seem like splitting hairs, but he is not injured AGAIN - its the same injury. I went out with a physiothrapist for some years while I was playing that game with the odd shape ball, and accquired a few injuries. She was keen to point out that when anybody has a major injury (and I did once) it isn't uncommon for it to flare up a little bit once pressure is put on it again. The sensible thing to do is send the guy straight back to the Doc - which is what they have done. The sad thing is that he will miss pre-season. The real point about this is that once solved it is LESS likely to be a long term problem if it re-occurs sooner rather than later. Goodness knows why - and for all I know she was lying, but that's what I was told.

Yanqui
12-07-2002, 09:09 PM
The latest word is that Palace still owes Berhalter 60,000 euros. That is the only thing left to sort out before his transfer is completed.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
12-07-2002, 11:53 PM

This may seem like splitting hairs, but he is not injured AGAIN - its the same injury. I went out with a physiothrapist for some years while I was playing that game with the odd shape ball, and accquired a few injuries. She was keen to point out that when anybody has a major injury (and I did once) it isn't uncommon for it to flare up a little bit once pressure is put on it again. The sensible thing to do is send the guy straight back to the Doc - which is what they have done. The sad thing is that he will miss pre-season. The real point about this is that once solved it is LESS likely to be a long term problem if it re-occurs sooner rather than later. Goodness knows why - and for all I know she was lying, but that's what I was told.

Doesn't seem like splitting hairs, it is splitting hairs.

Yanqui
13-07-2002, 06:48 AM
Planet Football claims that the deal has fallen through. (last paragraph)

http://www.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=99484&clid=&cpid=&Title=Morrison+keen+on+Blues+switch

However, their website is far from being the most accurate. Has anyone heard anything new?

Beanie
13-07-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash

Doesn't seem like splitting hairs, it is splitting hairs.

Okay you're right - the point is that being the same injury aggrevated, it probably isn't as bad as a new injury. If we had part company a few years ago I could get an updated opinion. Just trying to be positive:p

pete eagle
17-07-2002, 01:57 AM
Greek team Iraklis say they are no longer interested in signing Crystal Palace defender Gregg Berhalter.

The Thessaloniki club ended the move, after he left abruptly for London to reportedly claim money owed to him by Palace.

An Iraklis spokesman said: "His departure before signing dissatisfied Iraklis."

Ananova

thought i'd post it in both forums for discussion. There seems to be two different discussions that can take place over this

Beanie
17-07-2002, 12:53 PM

Okay you're right - the point is that being the same injury aggrevated, it probably isn't as bad as a new injury. If we hadn't parted company a few years ago I could get an updated opinion. Just trying to be positive:p

I see the latest view of the surgeon is that it IS a new injury, very close to the old one. So much for being positive:rolleyes: .

Also note that TF is talking about putting Gregg back in the squad when he has done a week's training (same as Clinton) so perhaps things are changing round.

Baloo
18-07-2002, 02:41 PM
From CPFRIS:

Berhalter Future Unclear

Gregg Berhalter looks certain to start the new season at Selhurst
Park after his move to Greek side Iraklis fell through. The USA
international was lined up for a switch to Iraklis last week and he
even made the trip to Greece to finalise the deal for an
undisclosed fee. However, he left without signing after claiming
that he was owed money by The Eagles. Iraklis have now pulled the
plug on the deal insisting that they are no longer interested in
landing the player. Berhalter has also been the subject of interest
from Germany, and his Eagles future remains uncertain with Trevor
Francis still unimpressed with him.

(c) TEAMtalk

Why is he owed money by Palace? Why do I get the nasty feeling SJ isn't paying his players? (See near identical post on Hopkin thread).

Beanie
18-07-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Baloo
From CPFRIS:

Why is he owed money by Palace? Why do I get the nasty feeling SJ isn't paying his players? (See near identical post on Hopkin thread).

See near identical reply on Hopkin thread.

Baloo
18-07-2002, 04:16 PM
But the report says "he is owed money by the Eagles" not "the club has not reached agreement on any pay-off fee". That sounds to me like his salary is in arrears.

Not good.

Gooders
18-07-2002, 04:20 PM
I doubt it's arrears. It'll be some form of "loyalty bonus" I expect - most players get them these days when they've completed 5 minutes service.

Beanie
18-07-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Baloo
But the report says "he is owed money by the Eagles" not "the club has not reached agreement on any pay-off fee". That sounds to me like his salary is in arrears.

Not good.

Seems far more likely that he thinks he is owed a pay off, or a bigger pay off, the club doesn't, his view, or more likely the press view is, is that he is "owed" the money. The clubs view is that he isn't. If it was arrears he would have an undoubted legal right to it and could do the whole thing through the law, also he would have the right to walk away. He is not acting as if it is arrears. He is also unlikely to come back to the club, train with Palace (as he has) if he is not being paid. I also doubt that something that could be kept out of the press. They'd be putting it all over at least the inside pages.

PS - have been looking back and the early references are to money Berhalter BELIEVES he is owed by Palace. If it was his wages he'd KNOW he was owed it!

ruediger
22-08-2002, 11:47 AM
News taken from Hamburger Abendblatt:

Gregg Berhalter was due to arrive for a trial at struggling
2. Bundesliga club FC St. Pauli - just down from 1. Bundesliga - yesterday but his visit had to be postponed because of a cash-flow problem at the Reeperbahn club.

Htht-H
22-08-2002, 11:52 AM
Not surprised - when you have played in the World Cup for a team that could have got through to the semis and who is behind Austin in the pecking order of your own club, then it is time to go.

ruediger
22-08-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Htht-H
Not surprised - when you have played in the World Cup for a team that could have got through to the semis and who is behind Austin in the pecking order of your own club, then it is time to go.

Can only agree. But: moving to FC St. Pauli is a joke. All sorts of problems there (CPFC style) They are rock-bottom in 2. Bundesliga and set for another beating tomorrow at my local team VfB Lbeck. :D

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=537608#post537608

hairy beasts
22-08-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Htht-H

Too true,but do you know if there's a reason as to why he isn't played.I've seen all his home games since joining Palace and think he's much better than Deano espically since having a very good world cup.

Lazarus
22-08-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by ruediger

Can only agree. But: moving to FC St. Pauli is a joke. All sorts of problems there (CPFC style) They are rock-bottom in 2. Bundesliga and set for another beating tomorrow at my local team VfB Lbeck. :D

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=537608#post537608

Aren't St. Pauli the revolutionary socialist / anarchist club?

pedro
22-08-2002, 12:45 PM
I am not sure how long it was for but when Berhalter first moved to Palace the club were paying for his accomodation and I can assure you we weren't talking a studio flat either. I am wondering whether this plus what I assume is a generous wage,( bearing in mind what the club were prepared to pay in rent ) means that he is another luxury the club cannot afford, bearing in mind he is not even making the bench. I think it is a shame as he has far more to offer the team than Austin.

ruediger
22-08-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Lazarus

Aren't St. Pauli the revolutionary socialist / anarchist club?

They think they are. :clown: Clever marketing excercise....

PeterH
22-08-2002, 02:54 PM
Skull and cross bones on their flags, Hamburg team???

Lazarus
22-08-2002, 03:06 PM
That's them! My mother-in-law lives down the road from them. Don't think she supports them though I wouldn't put it past her...

ruediger
22-08-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by PeterH
Skull and cross bones on their flags, Hamburg team???

not their official flag but pirates motif adopted by the fans.

http://www.fcstpauli.de

have a look a "My hometown club" in World of Sport Forum.

wedgetail
22-08-2002, 05:12 PM
I am begining to suspect that there is some sort of clause in his contract that gives him a raise or bonus after playing a certain number of games.

SHiggins
22-08-2002, 05:46 PM
I think Behalter is a better player than Austin and so should be at least on the bench as support to Popovic and Powell - also he played a blinder in the dreaded Smith season. However, doesnt sound like many clubs are even interested so they must agree with our current and past managers who dont rate him either so lets move him on.

AJ
23-08-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by wedgetail
I am begining to suspect that there is some sort of clause in his contract that gives him a raise or bonus after playing a certain number of games.

I remember when he first came on trial he had been unable to agree terms with any of the previous clubs and wanted good/big money to join Palace.

CyprusEagle
28-08-2002, 02:24 AM
You heard it here first ..Berhalter is in Germany negotiating a deal with a Bundeslega club.He is expected to sign tomorrow.:sob:

Sir JB
28-08-2002, 02:37 AM
I like him...but lets face it, may as well have a fee for him if he ain't going to play.

hughff
28-08-2002, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Sir JB
I like him...but lets face it, may as well have a fee for him if he ain't going to play.

And he ain't gonna play. He seems to have dropped tp about 7th in the pecking order for the middle of defence.

ozeagle
28-08-2002, 03:18 AM
our backline is fine, the question is, when do we get wise ?

BuffloSoldier
28-08-2002, 11:41 PM
Said club is 1. Bundesliga's Energie Cottbus.

Signed through the end of this season, looks like a free.

http://de.sports.yahoo.com/020828/226/2xk5s.html
http://www.sport1.de/coremedia/generator/www.sport1.de/News/Fussball/Bundesliga/Meldungen/fus_20bun_20cottbus_20verpflichtet_20gregg_20berha lter_20mel.html

Bruce-S
29-08-2002, 03:08 AM
Gregg ( not good enough for CP) has signed with a Bundesliga 1 team. Even though Francis thinks he can't stop Gillingham or Stoke, someone thinks he can play against Bayern Munich or Leverkusen!
http://de.sports.yahoo.com/020828/226/2xk5s.html

Dave
29-08-2002, 03:16 AM
You mean he was still here? ;)

hughff
29-08-2002, 04:18 AM
My German not up to much, do I understand he's joined Cottbus?

pete eagle
29-08-2002, 04:21 AM
yep Energie Cottbus. Do we get any money for this?

Neckinger Eagle
29-08-2002, 04:48 AM
Energie Cottbus - I love that name! Almost as good as Wolfsburg managed by Wolfgang Wolf.

Good luck Greg!

Bruce-S
29-08-2002, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Neckinger Eagle
Energie Cottbus - I love that name! Almost as good as Wolfsburg managed by Wolfgang Wolf.

Good luck Greg!
Actually it was the Wolfsburg Wolves managed by Wolfgang Wolf. I am dead serious.

29-08-2002, 07:15 AM
Good luck, Gregg, you didn't do at all bad playing for Palace, and it was nice to see a 'Palace' player at the recent World Cup. You woz robbed of that goal also BTW by the bent FIFA w@nkers.

So goodbye Gregg Berhalter
You never really made your mark
At Crystal Palace
But you did for the USA
in South Korea
Which is a long way from Selhurst.
(EJ Beestey aged 19 and a half - with apologies to EJ Thribb)

ruediger
29-08-2002, 11:02 AM
A move to FC Energie Cottbus looks likely but details not finalised as yet (Thursday morning).

http://www.fcenergie.de

Panther
29-08-2002, 02:39 PM
If his performances in the World Cup were anything to go by, Gregg's downfall at Palace came because of his worrying tendency to pass the ball to someone in his own team.

El Aguila
29-08-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Bruce-S

Actually it was the Wolfsburg Wolves managed by Wolfgang Wolf. I am dead serious.
Yes and they played in the Wolfstadion. Cojonudo!

CyprusEagle
30-08-2002, 12:23 AM
Here we are some not bothered if he stays or goes .Some slagging Tricky Trev for not giving him a fair crack but we seem to have forgotten that ourbeleoved chairman,mister super businessman,has just let a successful world cup centre half go for NOWT!!Not a bl@@dy penny.
Great business Mr Jordan.:veryangry

Jimbo ?
30-08-2002, 01:10 AM
There must have been reasons why he hasnt played under a number of managers - but the few games he did play he was good - May as well cut the wage bill if he aint playing - all the best greg

Phil O'Sophical
30-08-2002, 01:26 AM
Sporting Life is saying that Jamie Pollock has been paid off as well. Anyone else going before 31 August?

RichieG
30-08-2002, 02:00 AM
I do hope not!

30-08-2002, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by CyprusEagle
Here we are some not bothered if he stays or goes .Some slagging Tricky Trev for not giving him a fair crack but we seem to have forgotten that ourbeleoved chairman,mister super businessman,has just let a successful world cup centre half go for NOWT!!Not a bl@@dy penny.
Great business Mr Jordan.:veryangry

I await your bid to buy Mr. Jordan out with great interest. You clearly have absolutely no conception of the economic facts of life either at CPFC or in British football generally.