PDA

View Full Version : Academy coach who recently joined Man. City?

I Hate Brighton
06-09-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm sure I read that our Academy coach recently was poached by Man. City but I can't remember his name. Can someone remind me as I thought there was a thread on this around about a month ago and it was also announced on SSN. Thanks.

El Kooch
06-09-2013, 08:06 AM
@woosie

Woosie
06-09-2013, 08:14 AM
I actually don't know this one!

I vaguely recall the thread, but the name escapes me. I'll try to find out though

SilentAssassin
06-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Joe Shields

Dingle
06-09-2013, 08:29 AM
I believe he was not so much a coach but an academy scout who was responsible for finding a lot of the players currently in our academy. A little worrying as I believe he had great links to a lot of the local schools where we get out talent from and Man City may see him as a way to get one over on us on our own patch, using Joe to enable them to effectively steal all the local talent that would otherwise make it into our own academy.

Woosie
06-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Ah yeah that's it, he was a sort of grassroots scout wasn't he?

If Man City were going to get one over on us on our own patch they would have managed it by now, we're still an attractive proposition to young lads, our best academy player currently was found from under the noses of a few big clubs & signed for us, rather than them. We haven't lost a single player under EPPP in the year it has been around either.

palacea
06-09-2013, 08:33 AM
I believe he was not so much a coach but an academy scout who was responsible for finding a lot of the players currently in our academy. A little worrying as I believe he had great links to a lot of the local schools where we get out talent from and Man City may see him as a way to get one over on us on our own patch, using Joe to enable them to effectively steal all the local talent that would otherwise make it into our own academy.

Well he wasn't exactly here for that long... http://www.palace.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=253483

SilentAssassin
06-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Well he wasn't exactly here for that long... http://www.palace.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=253483

Goes to show how exceptionally well he must of done in his time at Fulham and Palace who have good academy/community/schools programmes.
Its s big loss for us and we seem quite stretched in the scouting department now which Issott and the board will surely be looking at in strengthening as soon as possible.

Woosie
06-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Fulham have the best academy in the country, Chelsea's is second I'd say.

Skid Row
06-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Our best academy player currently was found from under the noses of a few big clubs & signed for us, rather than them.
And this academy players name is........?

Twiggy
06-09-2013, 09:27 AM
And this academy players name is........?

sssssssssshhhhh...... don't tell...you never know who's listening ! :vader:

I Hate Brighton
06-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Joe Shields
Thanks all.

I was just thinking the Academy is a key area where we need to ensure it continues to produce these gold nuggets.

If he wasn't here that long, despite how good he was, then it shouldn't cause too much disruption.

Thanks heavens we have such a large catchment area and a pool of talent to scout from.

Thanks once again to all concerned for coming up with that name.

Gazza2
06-09-2013, 01:18 PM
If you want to know anything about the world of scouting then this book is a must. A gifted journalist spends hours on the road, interviewing and at games with lots of known and not so well known scouts. Fascinating read and a fair few mentions for Palace. I've almost finished it.

http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/editions/the-nowhere-men/9781780891071

Madden
06-09-2013, 01:19 PM
It's going to be a long way to go for training for any kids, should he poach them!

Nigelbrag
06-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Am I not right in assuming there is a ruling that says these kids cannot sign for a club xxxxx number of miles from their family home. I might be totally wrong.

charltonhater
06-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Am I not right in assuming there is a ruling that says these kids cannot sign for a club xxxxx number of miles from their family home. I might be totally wrong.

I believe i was a 90 minute travel time rule. However I've a feeling a Northern club claimed this was unfair and benefited london clubs, as more people live within 90 minutes so it's has been axed / or soon to be abolished.

gold76
06-09-2013, 02:25 PM
A work pals son plays for the kids team, he lives not far from where we work,Burgess Hill way, there were noises that they'd have to move a little nearer, say Haywards Heath way, but I think as he's 10/11 now he won't have to move.

davematt
06-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Fulham have the best academy in the country, Chelsea's is second I'd say.

You think?

How many players have Fulham produced in recent years that have gone on to play in the Premier League?

The facilities and set up they have there is superb (I know a International scout for Fulham) but a issue they seem to have their is their top players making that final step into top level first team football.

For what its worth, everything I hear regarding Southampton's Academy is absolutely superb. Plus, they seem to have a model that see's them producing top young players year in, year out.

Woosie
06-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Sorry, let me rephrase. Fulham have the best u18 squad in the country imo

Southampton's kids are only allowed to sign for one agent who has almost a complete monopoly on them.

davematt
06-09-2013, 03:43 PM

Southampton's kids are only allowed to sign for one agent who has almost a complete monopoly on them.

Really? He must be making a bloody mint.

Popester
06-09-2013, 04:17 PM

In other regulated industries, things like this just wouldn't be allowed because of the obvious conflict of interest.

Gazza2
06-09-2013, 05:26 PM
ImHo there are 3 or 4 coming thru Fulham academy who are going to make it big in the game. They have won the u18 league for last 3 seasons I think. Certainly the last 2.

Woosie
06-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Really? He must be making a bloody mint.

It might be one agency rather than agent but it was something like that I was told.