PDA

View Full Version : Palace sighning Striker & Defender

Holmesdale Boy
20-07-2002, 03:46 PM
According to rivals.net Steve Kember has said we are looking to sighn a striker and Defender because of the injury crisis. So who do you think it will be?. And wouldnt it make sense for Francis to spend the rest of his budget on the creative midfielder were crying out for, Dont sell Berhalter untill Symons is fit and Akinbyi is only out til sept/nov im sure Freedman and morrison will still be fit then and if the worst comes to the worst make some loan sighnings.

Streatham man
20-07-2002, 04:16 PM
quite right. unfortunately, our management team suffers from a lack of focus and a clear cut strategy.

Officer Dibble
20-07-2002, 05:17 PM
The quote I read was Kember saying we need a defender , a striker and a midfielder.
All this irrespective of the possible Morrison sale (which might make it 2 strikers).

Jaffa
20-07-2002, 05:21 PM
Where did Kember say this?

Press interview or pub lunch?

Calder2
20-07-2002, 05:23 PM
Pub lunch :D

Officer Dibble
20-07-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa
Where did Kember say this?

Press interview or pub lunch?

what's the difference ? ;)

WorthingEagle
20-07-2002, 06:01 PM
No sign of the midfielder we desperately need then :rolleyes:

Mullins & Riihilahti is okay, when they're on top of their game it's a good partnership. But what if they both get injured? Hopkin & Thomson? :eek:

I noticed on Soccernet.com the other day that Sheffield Wednesday had signed Paul Evans, I assume the ex-brentford player.

By all accounts a player who is very comfortable on the ball, can see a pass, can hit the ball from distance, scores goals from midfield and doesn't mind putting his foot in.

Isn't this what we're crying out for? A missed opportunity possibly?

Jaffa
20-07-2002, 06:30 PM
The Brentford fans on here (NewRoadBee, Twyford Bee and Edmundo) have stated that they dont feel Evans would be good enough for Division 1.

Maidstoned Eagle
20-07-2002, 07:01 PM
With our scouting, the new striker will be a member of the Rail unions and the Defender will be an 80's video game console for the canteen!

Louis
20-07-2002, 08:02 PM
Greatest need is for experienced central defender. (Popovic has been injured, and has to miss games when he plays for Australia, Symons out for 3 months or so, Austin not good enough and Antwi too young).

Jaffa
20-07-2002, 08:06 PM
Wouldnt mind betting it is Kuffour and Powell.

WorthingEagle
20-07-2002, 08:35 PM
The Brentford fans on here (NewRoadBee, Twyford Bee and Edmundo) have stated that they dont feel Evans would be good enough for Division 1.

I guess we'll see how he does at Wednesday, but I reckon he'd be a better bet than Hopkin or Thomson, even Riihilahti.

He'll score against Palace, that's for certain. :rolleyes:

Son of Shacker
20-07-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by WorthingEagle

I noticed on Soccernet.com the other day that Sheffield Wednesday had signed Paul Evans, I assume the ex-brentford player.
[/B]

No it's not him. This Paul Evans is a 'keeper. "Brentford's" Paul Evans is on trial at Bradford though.

Latvian Eagle
20-07-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Son of Shacker

No it's not him. This Paul Evans is a 'keeper. "Brentford's" Paul Evans is on trial at Bradford though.

If it's a keeper it might be the Paul Evans we had for a period in 1995/96, he was on the bench for a couple of games when Martyn had a back injury. He's been called up to the South Africa squad a couple of times, but never played, but he is also able to play for Wales.

NewRoadBee
21-07-2002, 06:51 AM

Martin Rowlands - midfield maestro - is the midfielder at Brentford being looked at by Curbishley.
He`s had fitness problems with a dodgy groin for the last 12 months, but if he ok now (signs in pre season so far suggest he`s over the problem) then he is a better propspect than Evans. Bullivant rates him :eek:

Neckinger Eagle
21-07-2002, 02:23 PM
A central defender is a must, but haven't we got one that Francis refuses to play? I really felt that every time Carlshalton got the ball to their strikers they were likely to get a shot away. Antwi isn't up to it yet, he was marking space, followed the ball like a schoolboy, was done for pace and couldn't tackle. Please let this be just one-off poor performance, I've heard so many good things about him. As for Frampton at centre back - exactly the same. :(

And Berhalter rots in the reserves. Criminal. So who's going to partner Popovic?

Austin? Antwi? Frampton? Granville? I am starting to be very worried for the coming season. We can't rely on Popovic and Symons being available all the time.

Ditto for midfield. Mullins has no pace, and I think Thomson has played enough games to know he's just a squad player.

By the way, Evans? Rowlands? (Add to that Ingimarsson and Owusu) Was there ever, ever any indication that Palace may have been remotely interested in these players, or do we just "like" them because they are Steve Coppell players?

glaziers fan
21-07-2002, 03:11 PM
mullins has more pace than any other defender at the club, especially where he can use his fabulous acceleration. He just gives the impression he is slow because of his 'casual'/classy attitude to football. I would play him in a back 3 with Popovic, and Fleming, who is the most solid defender at the club. Having said that, I do think we need another tall central defender, because for a team that should be playing 3-4-1-2, we only have two tall central defenders!

NewRoadBee
21-07-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Neckinger Eagle

By the way, Evans? Rowlands? (Add to that Ingimarsson and Owusu) Was there ever, ever any indication that Palace may have been remotely interested in these players, or do we just "like" them because they are Steve Coppell players?

Owusu did speak to Palace (and Millwall ) but stated he was keen to go north due to property prices. Lets face it he can probably buy a mansion up there (for cash from his signing on fee?) for a similar sum to what a one bed flat would cost in London.

It probably is also the Bullivant connection which leads to all the "links". Also TF has gone shopping at Griffin Park before (Forster and Grainger at Brumscum)

Boris the charltonhater
21-07-2002, 04:00 PM
Why do we keep buying players. :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry They are nearly always bog standard premiership rejects. We have enough defenders, we have enough midfielders, we have enough goalkeepers and if Morrison stays we have enough strikers. :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry

the_next_matt_jansen
21-07-2002, 05:01 PM
THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH STEVE THOMSON!!!

Sir JB
21-07-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Boris the charltonhater
Why do we keep buying players. :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry They are nearly always bog standard premiership rejects. We have enough defenders, we have enough midfielders, we have enough goalkeepers and if Morrison stays we have enough strikers. :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry

I'll tell you why we have to buy players. Simple, because the one's we have at the moment are not good enough.

We need defenders. We have decent full backs but at centre back our starting two are very injury prone - Popovic and Symons. With Berhalter looking likely he is leaving, that allows us to bring in either Dean Austin, Hayden Mullins or one from the youths like Will Antwi or Garry Borrowdale. Let's face it, Dean Austin isn't any good and we should have better back-up. If we put Mullins at the back, we have to fill his place in midfield where we are short and players like Will Antwi are not up the grade YET.

Enough midfielders? Uh huh, we have quite a few. Do we have a midfield play-maker though? One who can create oppurtinities? The sort of player every Palace fan knows the club needs? Nope we don't hence needing to buy players.

Enough strikers? Your joking right? Even if Morrison stays, we will have 4 strikers. Freedman, Morrison, Akinbiyi and Kabba. With Akinbiyi injured and not due back till October/November time that leaves us with 3. Now if Morrison or Freedman gets injured or suspended we have to bring in Steve Kabba. Let's face it, I don't think Kabba will make the grade at this level therefore needing to buy a striker to challenge Morrison and Freedman for positions or to step in when either of them are injured or suspended. Quite simple really.

Latvian Eagle
21-07-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Sir JB

Enough strikers? Your joking right? Even if Morrison stays, we will have 4 strikers.

5 if you include Williams.

Gooders
21-07-2002, 06:57 PM
All good points Sir JB, but you should emphasise the dearth of talent in midfield even more.

For the majority of the last 10 years or so, Palace have effectively not had a midfield. In the second half of last season I cannot recall a game, even those that we ended up winning, where we were in control of the middle of the park.

We need one or two people in the middle who can put their feet on the ball and dictate the pace of the game. Presumably Hopkin was signed to at least partly do this, but has failed as we've all seen. We need a Moncur-type player (experienced but short of top class - otherwise we wouldn't be able to sign him!) and a younger promising midfield "footballer" - Mullins has basically flattered to deceive in that role, otherwise he'd be with a bigger club by now.

2can
21-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Is Jamie Pollock still at the club? He would give us another option in midfield, but I don't know exactly what happened between him and Rubins/Jordan and whether the damage is repairable.

Latvian Eagle
21-07-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by 2can
Is Jamie Pollock still at the club? He would give us another option in midfield, but I don't know exactly what happened between him and Rubins/Jordan and whether the damage is repairable.

Rubins? :confused:

2can
21-07-2002, 07:11 PM
Wasn't there an "incident" between Pollock and Rubins on the trip to Bastia?

Jaffa
21-07-2002, 07:12 PM

Fool.

Officer Dibble
21-07-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by the_next_matt_jansen
THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH STEVE THOMSON!!!

You're right , nothing wrong.
But that's not enough, he's simply not good enough for this standard.
End of.

Boris the charltonhater
21-07-2002, 07:48 PM
Ask yourselves the following four questions:
Does a just above average first division club like ourselves really have the finances and the pulling power to get any better goalkeepers than what we have at the moment?
Does a just above average first division club like ourselves really have the finances and the pulling power to get any better defenders than what we have at the moment?
Does a just above average first division club like ourselves really have the finances and the pulling power to get any better midfielders than what we have at the moment?
Does a just above average first division club like ourselves really have the finances and the pulling power to get any better attackers than what we have at the moment?

Our present situation is this.
We currently have Clarke and Kolinko in goal.
We currently have Granville and Frampton at left back, have Symons, Popovic, Austin, Berhalter in the central and have Smith and Fleming at right back.
We currently have Rubins and Gray on the left, have Riihilahti, Thomson, Mullins and Hopkin in the centre and have Butterfield and Black on the right.
We currently have Morrison, Freedman, Akinibiyi and Kabba up front.

We certainly don't need any more goalkeepers. If Morrison stays, which is becoming increasingly likely, there is no need for any more attackers, as three of four for current attackers have very good past goalscoring records in this division. Our midfield is fine and would be able to prove it if they are given a chance to play together. If Austin and/or Berhalter leave then we will need another back up defender but there is no point buying a replacement just yet.

Psychokiller
21-07-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle

If it's a keeper it might be the Paul Evans we had for a period in 1995/96, he was on the bench for a couple of games when Martyn had a back injury. He's been called up to the South Africa squad a couple of times, but never played, but he is also able to play for Wales.
That was TOM Evans!

Boris the charltonhater
21-07-2002, 07:53 PM
I can't believe people are saying things like this.

Originally posted by 2can
Is Jamie Pollock still at the club? He would give us another option in midfield

and then are saying things like this about Steve Thomson

Originally posted by Officer Dibble
simply not good enough for this standard. End of.

Are you completely and utterly stupid? Steve Thomson is at least ten times better than Pollock ever was as his performances near the end of last season were showing.

Sir JB
21-07-2002, 07:54 PM
We certainly don't need any more goalkeepers. If Morrison stays, which is becoming increasingly likely, there is no need for any more attackers, as three of four for current attackers have very good past goalscoring records in this division. Our midfield is fine and would be able to prove it if they are given a chance to play together. If Austin and/or Berhalter leave then we will need another back up defender but there is no point buying a replacement just yet.

Firstly, nobody has suggested goalkeepers. Secondly, "three of the four attackers have very good past goalscoring records" - YES! But one of them is injured for a long while so we wouldn't have good enough back-up to think about promotion! Would you honestly be happy if somebody like Kabba came in replace Freedman or Morrison? Thirdly, the midfield lacks a play-maker. If you fail to see this, well :eek:

How many goals did we let in last season? To many! Therefore needing to tighten the defence or at least be able to bring in a good player when one of the current defenders gets injured.

Jaffa
21-07-2002, 08:03 PM
I know you are 18 now Boris, but is it really necessary for you to take advantage of your right to buy and consume Alcohol by being permenantly pissed and posting such nonsense?

* Steve Thomson better than Pollock my arse!
* Hopkin, Thomson, Riihilahti and Mullins - wheres the creativity?

If the "midfield is fine" and would get the chance to show "if they played together" could you explain why so few goals came from midfield last season and they were hardly a domineering force, like Man Citys midfield were.

Bernebia was a brilliant signing for Man City, we need someone similar for our midfield. Riihiilahti and Mullins can fight it out for the 2nd midfield spot, hopefully raising their game a little.

Akinibiyi is injured until Christmas, and so we have to rely on Freedman and Morrison (should he stay - according to the NOTW today - hes going) staying injury free and on form until then at least - Kabba isnt experienced enough to start games. An additional striker should be purchased - Coventry are skint - how about Jay Boothroyd. Matt Elliot has been given a free transfer - decent centre half.

Boris the charltonhater
21-07-2002, 08:18 PM
Firstly, nobody has suggested goalkeepers.

I know that I just added them for completeness.

Secondly, "three of the four attackers have very good past goalscoring records" - YES! But one of them is injured for a long while so we wouldn't have good enough back-up to think about promotion! Would you honestly be happy if somebody like Kabba came in replace Freedman or Morrison?

We could spend 1.5 million on bringing in a new attacker for cover while we have a injured striker. Then when he his injury has gone sell Freedman/Morrison to re-coup for the 1.5 million we spent bringing in a new attacker. Or we could bring in a loan signing (remember Kitson?). Last season our attack managed fine, why can't they do it again? I would be more than happy to put Kabba on the bench and bring him on for the odd game. Why wouldn't I be happy with this? He's not going to improve unless he is given the chance.

Thirdly, the midfield lacks a play-maker. If you fail to see this, well
Play-makers cost money. Can we really afford this? If we can who, who could make a serious difference, would realistically come to us? Steve Thomson is a very good player and could do a good job if given the chance. Stockport at home last year he was superb at setting up attacks. Riihilahti's opening goal in that match was a direct result of a superb cross field pass from Thomson.

How many goals did we let in last season? To many! Therefore needing to tighten the defence or at least be able to bring in a good player when one of the current defenders gets injured.

Berhalter proved at the world cup he's a good quality player, how many games did he play last season? Play him on a regular basis and our defence will begin to improve. We just need consistency in our defence, How often did we change our defensive line last season?

Boris the charltonhater
21-07-2002, 08:25 PM
Bernebia was a brilliant signing for Man City, we need someone similar for our midfield. Riihiilahti and Mullins can fight it out for the 2nd midfield spot, hopefully raising their game a little.

- Man City were getting 35,000 a week and could afford to splash out big money on players, we can't.

Akinibiyi is injured until Christmas, and so we have to rely on Freedman and Morrison (should he stay - according to the NOTW today hes going) staying injury free and on form until then at least - Kabba isnt experienced enough to start games.

- I admit Akinbiyi is injured longer than I thought he would be.
- 98% of the stuff in NOTW is rubbish
- Kabba is not going to play games as he doesn't have experience, Kabba doesn't have experience because he hasn't played games, Kabba is not going to play games as he doesn't have experience, Kabba doesn't have experience because he hasn't played games. Get my point?

An additional striker should be purchased - Coventry are skint - how about Jay Boothroyd. Matt Elliot has been given a free transfer - decent centre half.

-Is Boothroyd the bloke who was sent off against us last season?
-Matt Elliot is a decent centre half but I bet he also wants a decent wage packet, especially if he's on a free. Do you really think he would want to come to us anyway? Surely he wants a return to the premiership.

Sir JB
21-07-2002, 08:55 PM
Bloody hell.

We finished 10th last year with the team we have at the moment. Are you happy with another season finishing 10th? No, me neither. If the team wasn't good enough for last season, why will they be this season? :confused: Especially as the league is stronger this year.

If you want to improve our league position, you have to improve the squad. Simple as.

Jaffa
21-07-2002, 08:58 PM
Its not worth arguing with him Sir Jaybee.

He thinks Steve Thomson is the key to our problems.

He is obviously happy with mediocrity.

pete eagle
21-07-2002, 09:08 PM
Ask yourselves the following four questions:
Does a just above average first division club like ourselves really have the finances and the pulling power to get any better goalkeepers than what we have at the moment?
Does a just above average first division club like ourselves really have the finances and the pulling power to get any better defenders than what we have at the moment?
Does a just above average first division club like ourselves really have the finances and the pulling power to get any better midfielders than what we have at the moment?
Does a just above average first division club like ourselves really have the finances and the pulling power to get any better attackers than what we have at the moment?

Our present situation is this.
We currently have Clarke and Kolinko in goal.
We currently have Granville and Frampton at left back, have Symons, Popovic, Austin, Berhalter in the central and have Smith and Fleming at right back.
We currently have Rubins and Gray on the left, have Riihilahti, Thomson, Mullins and Hopkin in the centre and have Butterfield and Black on the right.
We currently have Morrison, Freedman, Akinibiyi and Kabba up front.

Berhalter is leaving, francis won't play him. In the centre, Austin is not a centre back and Popovic and symons are injury prone so we need back up there. The wide positions in midfield are fine but in the centre we are desperately short. Mullins and Aki are good but we need creativity in there or at least a good replacement, Steve Thomson has had his chance on many occasions and he doesn't deliver. We have 4 strikers, 1 is injured, 1 is not good enough so we need back up for Morrison and Freedman, a young premiership striker would do the trick on loan for a few months until december when akinbyi will be fully recovered. West Brom last season were a just above average club but they got the right defenders in. Why can't we, you don't need lots of money for it

Latvian Eagle
21-07-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller

That was TOM Evans!

Nope Tom Evans signed the season after. We had a keeper as cover in 95/96 when Martyn had a back problem and I don't know where Rhys Wilmot had disappeared to. He was called PAUL Evans, is anyone going to back me up? Al Russell? Neil The Eagle?

Latvian Eagle
21-07-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle

Nope Tom Evans signed the season after. We had a keeper as cover in 95/96 when Martyn had a back problem and I don't know where Rhys Wilmot had disappeared to. He was called PAUL Evans, is anyone going to back me up? Al Russell? Neil The Eagle?

My proof is here by the way.

http://www.soccerbase.com/footballlive/?MIval=players_details&playerid=9703

Sir JB
21-07-2002, 09:49 PM
Its not worth arguing with him Sir Jaybee.

He thinks Steve Thomson is the key to our problems.

He is obviously happy with mediocrity.

Uh huh, agreed.

Originally posted by pete eagle
Berhalter is leaving, francis won't play him. In the centre, Austin is not a centre back and Popovic and symons are injury prone so we need back up there. The wide positions in midfield are fine but in the centre we are desperately short. Mullins and Aki are good but we need creativity in there or at least a good replacement, Steve Thomson has had his chance on many occasions and he doesn't deliver. We have 4 strikers, 1 is injured, 1 is not good enough so we need back up for Morrison and Freedman, a young premiership striker would do the trick on loan for a few months until december when akinbyi will be fully recovered. West Brom last season were a just above average club but they got the right defenders in. Why can't we, you don't need lots of money for it

Exactly. Good post.

PT109
21-07-2002, 10:20 PM
Morrison's gone now, so maybe all the blind Palace optimists can take the reality check that they've clearly all needed.

Stellavista
22-07-2002, 03:21 AM

I know you are 18 now Boris, but is it really necessary for you to take advantage of your right to buy and consume Alcohol by being permenantly pissed and posting such nonsense?

Calling.
Black.
Kettle.
Pot.

That is....... :o

Then again, are you still getting a 'Morrison 10' replica shirt this season, Boris?! :D

Officer Dibble
22-07-2002, 04:11 AM
I can't believe people are saying things like this.

and then are saying things like this about Steve Thomson

Are you completely and utterly stupid? Steve Thomson is at least ten times better than Pollock ever was as his performances near the end of last season were showing.

I made no comparison with Pollock!
I merely stated that Thomson is not good enough.
However, if you claim Thomson is 10 times better than Pollock then the 'completely and utterly stupid' remark should start in your bathroom mirror.

arussell
22-07-2002, 04:14 AM
Thomson ISN'T good enough - how many times have I said that now !?

Whether he plays or not makes no difference to the side and I haven't seen him improve at all in the six years that I've seem him play.

He's no different to Robert Quinn, Richard Kennedy or Robbie Kember - all players that were let go by Palace.

Jaffa
22-07-2002, 04:18 AM
I agree, as I discussed with Boris in a MSN chat, Thomsons style of play is too negative, he always looks for a sideways or backwards pass.

He is too lightweight for a defensive midfielder, and not creative enough to be an creative midfielder. One goal (admittedly a good one) is all, I believe, we have to show from him.

Ask yourself this, if Thomson was one of the 600+ players that were out of contract this summer, would you snap him up?

I doubt it.

Gooders
22-07-2002, 07:52 AM
Steve Thomson (bless him) is not and never will be the answer to our midfield problems.

Latvian
22-07-2002, 08:52 PM
WE NEED A F**KING MIDFIELD

GOD
22-07-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Latvian
WE NEED A F**KING MIDFIELD

True:afro:

Beanie
23-07-2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by PT109
Morrison's gone now, so maybe all the blind Palace optimists can take the reality check that they've clearly all needed.

Eh - not yet. Still a Palace player. No need to face reality until it is, well, reality.

23-07-2002, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by arussell
Thomson ISN'T good enough - how many times have I said that now !?

Whether he plays or not makes no difference to the side and I haven't seen him improve at all in the six years that I've seem him play.

He's no different to Robert Quinn, Richard Kennedy or Robbie Kember - all players that were let go by Palace.

Having seen Thomson regularly since his days as a 16 year-old in our SE Counties sides, through his time in the reserves up to the present, I have to agree with your assessment arussell. What has been so disappointing is his apparent refusal/inability to give on-the-field leadership to other players often much younger and less experienced than himself, especially at reserve and first team level. Any team which wants to achieve success needs a number of "leaders" all over the park. The player concerned just seems to want to remain anonymous. Unless Palace quickly strengthen their midfield, they will remain anonymous during the forthcoming season!

Son of Shacker
23-07-2002, 12:54 PM
The Latest has been to be linked with us is:

Rushden & Diamonds ex-Jamaican international Paul Hall:rolleyes:

the_next_matt_jansen
25-07-2002, 03:01 AM
Shame. I think Thomson has the makings of a good player but it seems he will never acheive his full potential. I really like his game and his attitude but perhaps he is just suited to a lower level of footie.

I still cant make my mind up, it seems he is overshadowed by Mullins and Aki (who I think he is better than) and needs regular first team footie. Shame.

g23
25-07-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by the_next_matt_jansen
(who I think he is better than)

I was with you until then.

Otherwise completely agree.

Walrus
26-07-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Son of Shacker
The Latest has been to be linked with us is:

Rushden & Diamonds ex-Jamaican international Paul Hall:rolleyes:

Don't knock him 'til you've seen him.

Way too good for Rushden and Div 3.....never seen him against real quality opponents though.

Jimbo ?
26-07-2002, 10:59 PM
any one would do me!!
a couple of players are needed - atleast - it would be nice to get some GOOD players who we actually want and need!!