PDA

View Full Version : Hamid Barr on trial

Daddy Long
24-07-2002, 03:35 PM
I have been advised that Hamid Barr, a young midfielder formerly with QPR, has been taken on trial and should get a run out with the reserves on Saturday. Apparently he is a skilfull midfielder with an eye for goal. Below is all that could be found about him:

Hamid Barr was signed in the summer of 2001 as Ian Holloway looked to re-build his depleted Loftus Road squad. Barr has been hampered by a series of niggling injuries during his first season as a professional.

Prior to the match, midfielder Hamid Barr received the 'Player of the Year' award. This twenty-three-year-old player is certainly one to watch for the future. With age on his side, a return to the Football League is not out of the question. It would be worth scouts coming to have a look at this exciting prospect, who possess great close ball control

Alan Walker's side nearly went ahead as early as the third minute when Hamid Barr had a fierce drive well saved by Fenmen goalkeeper Ian Pledger, following a good flick-on by striker Steve Portway.

A minute later Barr turned provider as he beat three defenders down the left wing, before laying the ball off to an unmarked Peter Overton on the edge of the box, who hit a blistering shot just wide of the post.

. Overton went down the line and sent in a low cross which saw Barr, who steamed into the box having lost his marker, drill a shot from eight yards that smacked off the bar and away to safety.

The home side were simply dominant, and in the twenty-sixth minute striker Steve Portway should have scored, but instead put his eight-yard header wide of the target, following a good run and cross from the very skilful Barr, who the Fenmen simply couldn't handle.

Five minutes before the break, Barr saw his twenty-five yard free-kick just curl over the bar with Pledger static on his line.

Dolby went on a good run down the left wing and played the ball into Barr. The skilful midfielder dummied one defender, turned another as he put the ball on to his left foot, before blasting a fifteen-yard shot just wide of the post into the side-netting.

Hamid Barr scored both Fisher goals, lobbing the first after just two minutes.

brighton_eagle
24-07-2002, 03:47 PM
Don't know anything about him but he sounds like the kind of midfielder we need. Can score and set them up.

Interesting to see how he does for the reserves.

917L
24-07-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
I have been advised that Hamid Barr, a young midfielder formerly with QPR, has been taken on trial and should get a run out with the reserves on Saturday

Yet another reason to go to Dulwich then!

Dartford Lad
24-07-2002, 04:07 PM
He is a poor player!

The only other club interested are Aldershot! :eek:

I definately would not pin your hopes on this guy. :(

It wasn't me!
24-07-2002, 04:08 PM
and that's based on what info??

arussell
24-07-2002, 04:09 PM
Having signed for QPR from non-league last season - he couldn't then break into their side under administration.

That;s a good enough answer for me.

It wasn't me!
24-07-2002, 04:11 PM
If you did your research properly, your realise he was injured pretty much the whole season!! how can you judge anyone by that?!

Dartford Lad
24-07-2002, 04:13 PM
If he was any good, they would have given him another chance this season wouldn't they?!?!?

Thats what I base it on.

Also, he did have chances and struggled to break into the reserve side.....

Dartford Lad
24-07-2002, 04:15 PM
Is he really the player who you want to be battling against the likes of Muzzy Izzet, Matt Holland etc.. next season??

Daddy Long
24-07-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Dartford Lad
If he was any good, they would have given him another chance this season wouldn't they?!?!?

No. They released something like 10 players as a mass cost cutting exercise. Other bigger name players were also released. Seems to me that he didn't get a chance. Perhaps it could be our gain? How about everybody reserves judgement until after Saturday?

It wasn't me!
24-07-2002, 04:17 PM
why would they?! a year has gone by.

I'm still intrigued as to where you get this info from!

If you have ever seen him play, then you'd know that yes in fact he could battle with the likes of those!!!

arussell
24-07-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!
If you did your research properly, your realise he was injured pretty much the whole season!! how can you judge anyone by that?!

He played for Rangers last season in between being injured.

If he was any good - now that he's recovered from his injury then don't you think they would have kept him on ?

Especially after Ian Holloway admitting two days ago that midfield is their weakness at the moment and they're looking to bring someone in, in that position.

I take it that he's another player that you know then, from your response ? :rolleyes:

Dartford Lad
24-07-2002, 04:19 PM

No. They released something like 10 players as a mass cost cutting exercise. Other bigger name players were also released. Seems to me that he didn't get a chance. Perhaps it could be our gain? How about everybody reserves judgement until after Saturday?

They could take him as a non-contract player or trial him again this summer, but they haven't.

The fact is, no other league club is even interested. He isn't exactly our saviour is he?

Roll on saturday......

It wasn't me!
24-07-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by arussell

He played for Rangers last season in between being injured.

If he was any good - now that he's recovered from his injury then don't you think they would have kept him on ?

Especially after Ian Holloway admitting two days ago that midfield is their weakness at the moment and they're looking to bring someone in, in that position.

I take it that he's another player that you know then, from your response ? :rolleyes:

No in fact I don't! But I have seen him play!!

I take it from your response that your upset you didn't know this before Daddy Long!!!

Never mind, you can't be the first to know everything all the time can ya! :rolleyes:

It wasn't me!
24-07-2002, 04:21 PM

They could take him as a non-contract player or trial him again this summer, but they haven't.

The fact is, no other league club is even interested. He isn't exactly our saviour is he?

Roll on saturday......

And you know that for a fact hey!? sorry but your wrong, he's been to one club and another are interested.

arussell
24-07-2002, 04:21 PM
You really ARE a strange individual at times :eek:

I'll tell you what I think of him IF he plays on Saturday (if the game goes ahead), but I don't see any evidence anywhere to change my mind so far, including that from Rangers fans.

Perhaps you might like to offer up some facts for a change to back up one of your points ? :rolleyes:

Dartford Lad
24-07-2002, 04:22 PM

And you know that for a fact hey!? sorry but your wrong, he's been to one club and another are interested.

So who has he been to and who is interested? Other than Aldershot.....

It wasn't me!
24-07-2002, 04:24 PM
You really ARE a strange individual at times :eek:

I'll tell you what I think of him IF he plays on Saturday (if the game goes ahead), but I don't see any evidence anywhere to change my mind so far, including that from Rangers fans.

Perhaps you might like to offer up some facts for a change to back up one of your points ? :rolleyes:

ME!!! Strange!

Now that is funny, maybe you have a sense of humour after all.

Maybe I touched a soft spot! :rolleyes:

Dartford Lad
24-07-2002, 04:25 PM
Is some QPR reserve reject even worth arguing about?

Daddy Long
I've spoken to friends who are Rangers fans. The general concensus is that he was a player that arrived with an exciting reputation but never really got a chance due to injury.

I noted your points to them. They believe that he would have still been there if not for the financial problems encountered.

Still, we can't really say anything until we've seen the lad play eh?

It wasn't me!

Sorry that's confidential, put it this way they are both 1st Division teams.

It wasn't me!
24-07-2002, 04:27 PM
Is some QPR reserve reject even worth arguing about?

That's unfair on him. But your right about arguing!

Dartford Lad
24-07-2002, 04:27 PM

Sorry that's confidential, put it this way they are both 1st Division teams.

Confidential?

I am not exactly gonna go around shouting it about am I. :rolleyes:

Dartford Lad
24-07-2002, 04:29 PM
I think we may as well agree to disagree here, as we are getting nowhere! :)

It wasn't me!

Confidential?

I am not exactly gonna go around shouting it about am I. :rolleyes:

no but if i post it on here then I've told everyone! :rolleyes:

arussell
Maybe I touched a soft spot! :rolleyes:

Not at all - it;s just amusing that you rant on about odd players that you like, without presenting any evidence ever in their favour (like your flawed Gray postings last season - remember ?) :o

It wasn't me!
24-07-2002, 04:30 PM
I think we may as well agree to disagree here, as we are getting nowhere! :)

That's cool! :cool:

Dartford Lad
24-07-2002, 04:31 PM

no but if i post it on here then I've told everyone! :rolleyes:

I can't see why you can't say. I play with pro's and ex-pro's for Dartford and it is no big secret if you are going for a trial!
It is only kept quiet if you are looking to move away from a club and as he doesn't have a club......

It wasn't me!
24-07-2002, 04:32 PM

Not at all - it;s just amusing that you rant on about odd players that you like, without presenting any evidence ever in their favour (like your flawed Gray postings last season - remember ?) :o

and look how right i was - the boy did win "young player of the year"!!

It wasn't me!
24-07-2002, 04:35 PM

I can't see why you can't say. I play with pro's and ex-pro's for Dartford and it is no big secret if you are going for a trial!
It is only kept quiet if you are looking to move away from a club and as he doesn't have a club......

well in that case someone can ask him on saturday.

ukjay_29
24-07-2002, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dartford Lad
[B]

I can't see why you can't say. I play with pro's and ex-pro's for Dartford

Really?

A friend of mine plays for Dartford (My hometown !)

Dartford Lad
24-07-2002, 04:38 PM

well in that case someone can ask him on saturday.

Your not lying are you?

Dartford Lad
24-07-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by ukjay_29
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dartford Lad
[B]

I can't see why you can't say. I play with pro's and ex-pro's for Dartford

Really?

A friend of mine plays for Dartford (My hometown !)

Who's that???

BUNGLE
24-07-2002, 04:40 PM

Still, we can't really say anything until we've seen the lad play eh?

Hasn't stopped people before. :rolleyes:

arussell
24-07-2002, 04:43 PM
and look how right i was - the boy did win "young player of the year"!!

:confused:

First of all - who else would have won it then ? (we've never even HAD a young player of the year award before).

Secondly - how does this vindicate you posting stats and facts that were wrong ??

Anyway, as I've said, assuming the game goes ahead (it might not) and he doesn't warm the subs bench with Kuffour, then I'll let you know honestly what he looks like.

It wasn't me!
24-07-2002, 04:54 PM

:confused:

First of all - who else would have won it then ? (we've never even HAD a young player of the year award before).

Secondly - how does this vindicate you posting stats and facts that were wrong ??

Anyway, as I've said, assuming the game goes ahead (it might not) and he doesn't warm the subs bench with Kuffour, then I'll let you know honestly what he looks like.

still don't rate him hey? what do you mean who else? seeing that Julian, Clinton and Hayden are all the same age, why wouldn't any of those stand a chance in winning it!

I never said your always wrong I'm just saying your always negative!!! Lighten up :rolleyes:

Well I'm sure your be the first to write up a report :eek: and your also let everyone know if the game is still on won't you!!

wedgetail
24-07-2002, 04:55 PM
I remember a reading about a certain young scottish striker being released by QPR a few years ago, he turned out OK.

Daddy Long
24-07-2002, 04:57 PM
:)

917L
24-07-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by wedgetail
I remember a reading about a certain young scottish striker being released by QPR a few years ago, he turned out OK.

In the same vein as Ian Wright being turned down by Scumwall and others after trials.

arussell
24-07-2002, 05:03 PM
I never said your always wrong I'm just saying your always negative!!!

I think you're getting me confused with James :D

I am by far one of the most NON negative people I know when it comes to Palace !

Dave
24-07-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by wedgetail

Ian Dowie is Irish not Scots

OKnotOK
24-07-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Dave

Ian Dowie is Irish not Scots

He means Dougie who played for QPR between 1992 and 1994 as a trainee.

ukjay_29
24-07-2002, 07:16 PM

Who's that???

A young man by the name of Paul Wilson - Litlle chappie, Striker......I believe he still plays for Dartford

pedro
24-07-2002, 07:17 PM
a

Dartford Lad
24-07-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by ukjay_29

A young man by the name of Paul Wilson - Litlle chappie, Striker......I believe he still plays for Dartford

I haven't heard of him but there is a few players I don't know very well so he could be one of them. He definately hasn't played any of the friendlies yet though.

pedro
24-07-2002, 07:18 PM
Hamid Barr was playing for my Sunday League team before joining QPR.

Sir JB
24-07-2002, 07:23 PM
Hamid Barr, he was on Sky Sports a bit back and played for the team that won some 5-a-side competion. He was the best player at the tourenment but he couldn't cut it playing professional I doubt.

Dave
24-07-2002, 07:26 PM
I hope there isn't to much of a Barr bill :)

Psychokiller
24-07-2002, 07:31 PM
I'm prepared to give the guy a chance.

I remember back in the late 80s a 25 or so year old midfielder arrived on a free transfer from Reading, having only made a handful of appearances for them and his previous clubs Charlton, Arsenal and Southampton. This guy went on to become arguably my favourite ever Palace player.

I'll reserve judgement until I see the lad play.

AJ1969
24-07-2002, 07:39 PM
a mate of mine is checking with a mega 'trainspotter' qpr fan - will post info when I get it.

917L
24-07-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
I'm prepared to give the guy a chance.

I remember back in the late 80s a 25 or so year old midfielder arrived on a free transfer from Reading, having only made a handful of appearances for them and his previous clubs Charlton, Arsenal and Southampton. This guy went on to become arguably my favourite ever Palace player.

Dave Madden?

Exactly the type of player we need now, very poorly treated by SC

Daddy Long
24-07-2002, 08:12 PM
QPR's starting midfield pairing this season in division 2 will be Langley and Bircham....thats comparable if not better than our central midfield. Its not hard to see how they could have deemed Barr surplus to requirements. For our sake he hope he plays well.

Dartford Lad
24-07-2002, 08:15 PM
QPR's starting midfield pairing this season in division 2 will be Langley and Bircham....thats comparable if not better than our central midfield. Its not hard to see how they could have deemed Barr surplus to requirements. For our sake he hope he plays well.

C'mon, Langley and Bircham are not as good as Mullins and Riihilahti!

I would agree that is a great centre midfield that QPR have but I feel ours is a little better. :)

Psychokiller
24-07-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by 917L

Dave Madden?

Exactly the type of player we need now, very poorly treated by SC

In a Palace Echo interview a couple of years back Dave Madden cleared Sir Steve of all blame in this affair. Apparently the reason he was rarely picked after promotion and his injury was because he had a personality clash with Alan Smith and Smith accused him of laziness in reserve games to Coppell and generally gave him bad reports. Coppell himself now even suggests that he was foolish to trust Smith and we all know what an absolute **** Smith is when it comes to his pathetic conflicts with certain players.

John Humphrey
Eric Young
Andy Thorn
Jamie Pollock
Tommy Black

The list goes on and on.

Smith is scum, pure and simple, a one eyed tosser.

Daddy Long
24-07-2002, 08:20 PM

C'mon, Langley and Bircham are not as good as Mullins and Riihilahti!

I would agree that is a great centre midfield that QPR have but I feel ours is a little better. :)

Putting aside favouritism, I would say that Langley is as good as Mullins and Bircham is better than the overrated Aki (overrated if his last half of the season is typical of what we can expect from him)

It is a very good central midfield for a second division team. Holloway has done well. Maybe we can poach him? ;)

arussell
24-07-2002, 08:34 PM
I saw QPR the other night.

Langley is still injured and Bircham was pretty awful to be honest - spraying balls of the pitch more than in the direction of any forwards.

Oddly enough - Holloway was complaining about the quality of their midfield and the fact that they had no width.

g23
24-07-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Dave
I hope there isn't to much of a Barr bill :)

Mind you, low Barr bills often lead to me getting Hamid.

Pistike
24-07-2002, 08:37 PM
Well I dont care what you lot say I think he's great.

Walrus
24-07-2002, 09:22 PM

Does it matter ? Give the poor sod a chance to look crap in the reserve game before writing him off at least.

pedro
24-07-2002, 09:29 PM
As I said he played for our club and was different class and the side includes ex Palace player Tony Finnigan so it is not mickey mouse standard. He left us to join QPR but got seriously injured almost immediately as was just getting back to fitness when they went into administration. He was released as part of the cost cutting exercise without getting a chance to prove himself. This guy is no muppet so give him a chance, you may be pleasantly surprised.

hellsbells
24-07-2002, 09:31 PM
Lets not judge on hearsay, those who are going to the reserves at the weekend will be best equipped to see what he's really like! Good Luck to the lad anyway, hope he's a good find.

pedro
24-07-2002, 09:41 PM
h

pedro
24-07-2002, 09:45 PM
Sorry guys but I am having major problems with posting, it keeps making me sign in each time I want to post and then refuses the post anyway, it is bloody infuriating.
Anyway, I have made a couple of calls to people in the know for local amateur footy and the feedback is that he is/was the best player they have seen at this level for a long long time and that includes players who have gone on to make it pro. When he went to QPR he had an excellent pre season, he started against Chelsea and then kept his place for the Celtic game where he ripped/tore his groin muscle which was the injury that had kept him out nearly the whole season. After this he was duly released for financial reasons.

AJ
24-07-2002, 09:46 PM
I fear, Palace fans are now more critical and bigger moaners than those at Spurs:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Daddy Long
24-07-2002, 09:48 PM
Nice info Pedro

I have a good feeling about this player. I fancy we'll sign him.

Beanie
25-07-2002, 03:18 AM

Roll on saturday......

I have no knowledge of the player and I'm not going to comment on him, but how thin is this arguement?Following it through Clinton Morrison is useless because only one team has shown any interest. We also should never have signed Ian Wright from Greenwich as we didn't have to beat off scores of other clubs. It is just possible that our scout saw something others didn't. Could be a mirage, he could be useless, but to argue he isn't any good before you've actually seen the guy on the basis of the amount of interest from other clubs is crazy.

What?
25-07-2002, 04:36 AM
Lets give him a go! See him play and THEN make our minds up. He might be great, he might be ****, wgo knows. Dont make ur mind up on what you have read here! Is he good, or is he a rubbish?

You Decide!

Latvian
25-07-2002, 03:02 PM
whats he like on champ man?

Jaffa
25-07-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by hellsbells
Lets not judge on hearsay

WOR Liberty-X are better INNIT.

glaziers fan
25-07-2002, 05:48 PM
He sounds like a similar player to Tommy Black. I just hope Tommy gets more of a chance this season. He has been playing well so far in pre-season hasn't he?

g23
25-07-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
He sounds like a similar player to Tommy Black. I just hope Tommy gets more of a chance this season. He has been playing well so far in pre-season hasn't he?

Yeah, pretty well. I missed Cheltenham, where he was supposed to have linked up with Dougie very effectively.

arussell
25-07-2002, 06:07 PM
;)

Dartford Lad
25-07-2002, 08:42 PM
Welling are also interested now so we may lose out on this signing. :)

Walrus
26-07-2002, 12:19 AM
Welling are also interested now so we may lose out on this signing. :)

:D

Jimbo ?
26-07-2002, 11:05 PM
He is a poor player!

The only other club interested are Aldershot! :eek:

I definately would not pin your hopes on this guy. :(

That makes me feel alot better!!!

clubbruggekvfc
27-07-2002, 03:13 AM
Hamid Barr is innocent.

917L
27-07-2002, 03:17 AM
Welling are also interested now so we may lose out on this signing.

Thanks for your educated input!:rolleyes:

danos
27-07-2002, 04:20 PM
I know Hamid - He was the manager at our staff canteen before he went to QPR!!!

Have heard a lot of people say they rate him, dont know what he would be like at Div 1 level though. I have been keeping an eye out for him. Last time i saw him he was playing in a six a side competition at Stamford Bridge which was on Sky Sports recently. From what i remember he played v well and was exceptionally skillful.

Daddy Long
29-07-2002, 02:15 PM
How did he play then?

917L
29-07-2002, 03:23 PM
Not very well!

Appeared to be a sort of poor mans Kirovski, managed to hit the post from ten yards when presented with an empty net. Was difficult though as he went off at half time after 45 in midfield and then reappeared to play the last 20 as a forward. Showed some good touches but didnt do enough on that appearance IMHO.

g23
29-07-2002, 06:19 PM
He was pretty much anonymous. The best thing about him was the imaginary headline I was able to write when he ballsed up that open goal opportunity - 'Barr hits post'. Looked competent, but didn't at all stand out among a team of children and part-timers. I'm not going to judge him on one game, but he'll have to play significantly better than he did on Saturday if he's going to get anywhere near the reserves.

Jimbo ?
29-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by g23
'Barr hits post'

Brilliant!!;) :D :D :D :D :D :D