View Full Version : Jerome Williams loan

917L
09-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Couldnt find a thread anywhere about it, apologies if I missed it

Gone to Forest Green on loan

Currently making his debut on BT Sport

Billyd
09-01-2014, 08:01 PM
All young loan players these days (not just ours) seem to really go down the divisions as opposed to Championship and League 1 clubs any more.

Wonder what it is?

Higher standard lower down the leagues now?
More freebies/experienced players around for Championship/League 1 clubs these days so no need to loan untried 18/19 year olds of other clubs?

brooklynlou
09-01-2014, 08:42 PM
All young loan players these days (not just ours) seem to really go down the divisions as opposed to Championship and League 1 clubs any more.

Wonder what it is?

More freebies/experienced players around for Championship/League 1 clubs these days so no need to loan untried 18/19 year olds of other clubs?

TBF, the Championship has too much money at stake in potential promotion (or relegation) for those clubs to even want to take a chance on a talented kid. They'd rather have the known commodity.

As for the League 1 and below, the talent difference between leagues is not that great. So whether they are in a L1 or L2 team, its not that big a deal. Whats key is that the team they're going to can guarantee playing time

Absolution
09-01-2014, 08:59 PM

Wonder what it is?

More freebies/experienced players around for Championship/League 1 clubs these days so no need to loan untried 18/19 year olds of other clubs?It's worth going to a club where you will start. There's little point going to League One and being a substitute.

After all he's only 18 and is a defender, getting senior football is games that actually matter is not a bad thing.

Martin H
05-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Any idea on how he is doing with his loan spell?
Has he played at all?

Noticed he came on as sub during the Brighton U21 match for 20 mins or so. Really hoping he gets the game time needed to develop his game as he has looked promising.

Absolution
05-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Played three games, two 90min and the one where he came off injured.

Think they had a game postponed which is why he probably got a game with the U21's.

gsaunders22
05-02-2014, 12:15 PM
A friend of mine goes to Forest Green occasionally. Saw him play a couple of weeks ago and said he was excellent.

Martin H
05-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Cool - much appreciated.

Timbo
05-02-2014, 12:22 PM
A friend of mine goes to Forest Green occasionally. Saw him play a couple of weeks ago and said he was excellent.

Great stuff!! I agree with the posters above who say that playing decent senior level football is what counts and playing L1 or L2 is not crucial

Martin H
05-02-2014, 12:23 PM
don't suppose anyone knows about the other loans out do they?

I think Appiah has made a couple of sub appearances so far but I don't think he has scored yet. not sure how he has played though.

Sceagle
05-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Great stuff!! I agree with the posters above who say that playing decent senior level football is what counts and playing L1 or L2 is not crucial

The standard between Conference and League 2 is not too dissimilar apparently

Timbo
05-02-2014, 12:53 PM
The standard between Conference and League 2 is not too dissimilar apparently

Absolutely

Hambo
06-02-2014, 12:30 PM
don't suppose anyone knows about the other loans out do they?

I think Appiah has made a couple of sub appearances so far but I don't think he has scored yet. not sure how he has played though.

Based on scouring the internet:

Inniss impressing at Luton. Scored in his first game with his first touch and did well. Played 90mins in the last game they played that wasn't called off and was mentioned by the manager as doing really well.

Gregory and Wynter have kept 2 clean sheets in 2 games at Sutton (I think, that one is from memory) .

Fitzsimmons has been ever-present for Hendon.

Tieuku got MoM on debut for Hayes & Yeading but since has been an unused sub and, in their last game, not in the squad. No goals.

Gazza2
06-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Sutton played Tuesday night and let in 2. Wynter played, Gregory did not (prob cos played for our U21s at Brighton previous night).

dannyboy1807
06-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Sutton played Tuesday night and let in 2. Wynter played, Gregory did not (prob cos played for our U21s at Brighton previous night).

awful awful conditions.

Sutton have signed ex Gillingham, Blackburn and Wales International Jason Brown so not sure what's happening with Gregory now.

orp pisshead1
06-02-2014, 06:05 PM
awful awful conditions.

Sutton have signed ex Gillingham, Blackburn and Wales International Jason Brown so not sure what's happening with Gregory now.

Blimey that's a good signing by Sutton , browns not that old is he ? Very good keeper one time.

GreatGonzo
06-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Blimey that's a good signing by Sutton , browns not that old is he ? Very good keeper one time.

31, but wiki has him as starting just 38 games in the last 8 seasons since leaving Gillingham.

Martin H
06-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the insights folks. nice to keep up to speed with their progress.

orp pisshead1
06-02-2014, 06:29 PM
31, but wiki has him as starting just 38 games in the last 8 seasons since leaving Gillingham.

Cheers GG, was back up keeper at Blackburn but still bit sad that a decent keeper has lost much of his career for the but if on good money you can't really blame him.

orp pisshead1
06-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the insights folks. nice to keep up to speed with their progress.

Agree and pleased our young defenders getting real challenges:p.

16-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Even considering the opponents one of the highlights today was watching Jerome Williams, still to early for full team squad or do we think will be heading out on loan?

Bike
16-07-2014, 07:30 PM
If we can buy a quality left back then I would have Williams as cover, but if we get two average ones it would be harmful to have him as third choice when he could have another year out on loan.

Soarin' Eagles
16-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Might not have a choice if we don't get our left back targets. Once we do then we can consider loaning him out.

the drexciyan
16-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Even considering the opponents one of the highlights today was watching Jerome Williams, still to early for full team squad or do we think will be heading out on loan?

Just a hunch but I suspect he'd do well if he was thrown in at the deep end, like Clyne was albeit in the Championship. He looked good at the start of last year too. A loan at a decent level would be the next step I'd guess.

ps phone not working, send us a pm if newcastle is on for you ;)

Bones14
17-07-2014, 02:10 AM
Yep agreed, think he would swim rather than sink if he were to be thrown in. Just a gut feeling mind.

MAX
17-07-2014, 04:30 AM
Good going forward but dubious defensively. Needs time as yet.

Yogya
17-07-2014, 06:49 AM
I thought Woosie, who seems to know his stuff on youth players, said that he would need to switch to left midfield or something because his defending was too suspect?

Gazza2
17-07-2014, 09:28 AM
He did struggle with defending when first moved up from U16s to U18s and was therefore dropped for a few weeks. Never any doubt about his attacking ability. Strong shot and lots of tricks to go passed people. But when he broke back into U18s starting XI after a few weeks out, the work he had done showed and his defending was much improved; so much so that by time of his 2nd year in U18s he was rarely ever beaten one on one and had broken into England U19 squad.

aj4england
17-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Im sure he played last pre season vs Daggers? In which case, Woosies evaluation then was spot on. A big unit with pace going forward but defensively suspect.

Gazza2
17-07-2014, 09:46 AM
An England age group scout I spoke to at one U18 game told me that they had asked Palace if they had considered switching him to CB but Palace had replied that wide was a better option for him cos of how good on ball he is and he can get forward more from full back.

rambo1
17-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Who Played at Left-Back in the 2nd Half,against GAKGraz,was it Hiram Boateng?

Hambo
17-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Who Played at Left-Back in the 2nd Half,against GAKGraz,was it Hiram Boateng?

Yep!

Quipton
17-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Yep!

Thought he was a central midfielder? Maybe a good move although he didn't look too out of his depth when he played in midfield.

Hambo
17-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Thought he was a central midfielder? Maybe a good move although he didn't look too out of his depth when he played in midfield.

I think the level of opponent was a factor in putting him there - but it was nice to see as it showcased the attacking side of his game a bit more. We've seen him tackle and pass well, but seeing him bomb up and down that side proves he can be a genuine box-to-box centre midfielder.

I think he's an incredibly exciting talent personally - I can't really see anything lacking in his game. Vision, pace, strength, stamina, skill, versatility etc and he's a decent height. It's just a case of developing what he has now and getting him games.Sheer idiocy that Crawley didn't play him last season, but that's John Gregory for you.

Back on topic though - Williams had a very good first half too. Agree with the observations about him needing to learn more on the defensive side of his game. Pretty sure when I first saw him play as a sub in an U18 game in pre-season he was a left-winger.

rambo1
17-07-2014, 03:00 PM

He is a Central Midfielder but its Good to Play Youngsters in various Positions.

Nigelbrag
17-07-2014, 03:18 PM
An England age group scout I spoke to at one U18 game told me that they had asked Palace if they had considered switching him to CB but Palace had replied that wide was a better option for him cos of how good on ball he is and he can get forward more from full back.

Interesting comments Gazza2, as that is precisely what I said last year, as I also feel that eventually his best position would be a left sided CB he has all the attributes to make the switch a success.
This might seem ambitious to say, but his style and movements reminds me of being possibly a young Rio Ferdinand in the making, but with pace, yes he has a long way to go to reach Rio's defensive ability, but in Rio we are talking about a world class defender. Given time and with the right guidance Jerome Williams will be a very good player in time, and we are fortunate to have young talent like him coming through.