PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Clint (Another *OLD* Thread)

Eagle
27-07-2002, 06:04 AM
I think its time now that we all realise we will be playing next season without our star man Clinton.
I just want to wish him all the very best, even though it is Birmingham he has signed for, but i do still feel it's a bad move for him.
Anyway, thanks Clint for everything you have done for us and stuck by us when we needed you most, we will all remember those great goals and not so great dance celebrations!!!
We all know he will be missed but he was gonna go at some stage and i just hope and i'm very sure he wont ever forget us all at the Palace and will be welcome back at anytime.
Clinton was a gem and always had time for others and his presence will definately be missed on matchdays at Selhurst.
Best of luck mate.

On the other hand, i think its time we welcomed Andy Johnson.
I dont think its fair that we regard him as the replacement for Clinton because we know he wont be and it will be sad if you all expect that from him, he is just a player who has been used as part of the deal and i'm sure he must be feeling unwanted at the moment aswell.
I honestly feel that given a run in the side he can be a good goalscorer and his pace will frighten most defences and he may surprise many of you.
So i guess it's time to say welcome to Crystal Palace AJ.

sydney eagle
27-07-2002, 08:15 AM
Good post Eagle

I wish Clinton all the best for the future and thank him for all the great memories he has left us all with at Palace.

Welcome to Andy Johnson as well,hopefully he can become a great player with our club too,just like Clinton did.

EAGLES EAGLES EAGLES EAGLES

Diehard
27-07-2002, 02:04 PM
As Clinton packs his bags for Brum I just wanted to say "Thanks Mate" for giving us something to shout about. In troubled times at Palace you have lit up the gloom, scored loads of goals and given the fans back their pride. You have been loyal and you now deserve a chance to prove yourself at a higher level (God knows why you chose Birmingham!!)

So good luck pal, but please don't spoil it by scoring against us! :p

c_block_lad
27-07-2002, 02:10 PM
Clinton Morrison-THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS IN A PALACE SHIRT

Jimbo ?
27-07-2002, 02:11 PM
I hate brum even more now!!!!
I want them to go down still - that will never change

wighteagle
27-07-2002, 02:23 PM
Thanks for everything, Clinton, especially for sticking with Palace during the dark days of administration.

Maidstoned Eagle
27-07-2002, 02:57 PM
Yep, thanks Clint for trying your hardest for half of all the seasons you were here. Thanks for letting your blind ambition lead you to sign for a club that will be playing 1st Division football again next season. Thanks for all your petulance on cold wintry nights when you fell into puddles.

I liked him, believe me I did, but I ain't gutted he's gone.

holeesheet
27-07-2002, 03:05 PM
if the 4.2 million is correct he went cheaply not knocking his efforts in a red and blue shirt but very dissapointed that we didnt get more for him , on the upside i suppose we can look forward to wayne routeledge filling his boots hes a great prospect with a big future lets hope he doesnt get sold on for peanuts too, its early days i know but clinton was a big face here and will be missed at dressing room level too i hope the void he leaves will be shortly filled and that we can emerge form this a capable side.

danos
27-07-2002, 03:51 PM
I wish Clinton the best of luck. Why did it have to be Birmingham though?? I think its best he's gone because im convinced we would never again see the best of him while Trevor Francis is in charge. It was clear for everyone to see last season that the goals dried up as soon as TF arrived. He broke up a prolific scoring partnership he had with Dougie. I still dont understand the reasoning behind it. Its well known they never got on. Im just worried now about whos going to leave next. I' m sure Bruce will be in for the Dougster if we make a poor start. This cannot be allowed to happen!! What is happening to our club??

aadams
27-07-2002, 04:04 PM
Good Luck Clint & thanks for the memories. Wish it was'nt Birmingham, but hey s**t happens.
Welcome Andrew Johnson & lets hope it will his name we will be chanting this season.:confused:

PeterH
27-07-2002, 04:14 PM
Wright
Bright
Armstrong
Bent
Jansen
Morrison

Arguably only Wright, Armstrong and Jansen sold for proper fees. And considering what Wright did at Arsenal that comment is a tad shaky.

Same old Palace.

Gabbiadini
Williams
Taylor (?)
Bradbury
No-One
Johnson (jury out)

Quality replacements, quality business Palace.

Its just not good enough is it.

Holmesdale Boy
27-07-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by PeterH

Gabbiadini
Williams
Taylor (?)
Bradbury
No-One
Johnson (jury out)

Here Here

danos
27-07-2002, 04:37 PM
Wright
Bright
Armstrong
Bent
Jansen
Morrison

Arguably only Wright, Armstrong and Jansen sold for proper fees. And considering what Wright did at Arsenal that comment is a tad shaky.

Same old Palace.

Gabbiadini
Williams
Taylor (?)
Bradbury
No-One
Johnson (jury out)

GOT TO AGREE WITH THAT

Hazzacpfc
27-07-2002, 04:39 PM
Got nothing against Clint for wanting to forward his career and I want to wish him the best of luck with Brum. Thanks for all the goals - but don't get too many for them. ;)

Beanie
27-07-2002, 05:07 PM
It's always sad to see a star player leave - but like it or not that happens to Mid-table Division 1 clubs.

Good luck to Clinton, hope it works out for you, but I suspect you could be in Division 1 again this time next season.

LLCOOLSTEVE
27-07-2002, 07:58 PM
BYE!!!!!!!! :D

pedro
27-07-2002, 08:21 PM
If, as Kember says, we need the money from Morrison to help purchase much needed players then it may well be a worthwhile exercise. Whilst I am sad to see him go his goals alone would not have got us promoted, we need a little more quality throughout the team if we want to progress to the Premiership.

Whether TF is the man to spend the money wisely remains to be seen but Kember did say we had plenty of targets and all we needed was the Morrison money so the next few weeks could prove interesting. Maybe we will bid for Jansen now that Blackburn have signed Yorke. I wish!!!

brighton_eagle
27-07-2002, 08:49 PM
Good luck Clinton. Thanks for all the memories and best of luck for the future. I will follow your career with interest, and I hope you fulfill your potential.

pallet
27-07-2002, 10:33 PM
Thank you for the goals, passion great interview and just being Clint of the Palace.Him and Dougie gave us something to believe in. Good luck at the new club and I hope you get a transfer to a decent club soon

What?
27-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Well, lets hope he does a Ravenelli/Hasselbank and scores loads of goals, but Brum still go down!

daz_eagle
27-07-2002, 10:59 PM
Cheers Clint. You were good...:sob:

Vinny
28-07-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle
Yep, thanks Clint for trying your hardest for half of all the seasons you were here. Thanks for letting your blind ambition lead you to sign for a club that will be playing 1st Division football again next season. Thanks for all your petulance on cold wintry nights when you fell into puddles.

I'd go along with that!

PeterH
28-07-2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
Good luck Clinton. Thanks for all the memories and best of luck for the future. I will follow your career with interest, and I hope you fulfill your potential.

Yep. Will be interesting to see how he does next season.

Phil O'Sophical
28-07-2002, 02:49 PM
Selling Clinton's one helluva gamble. Without him we are going to be relying solely on Dougie and that's not enough IMHO. Last year the two scored 42 league goals between them. The rest of the players managed just 26 between them (from CPFC website), the third highest scorers were Riihilahti and Kirovski with just 5 each.

In fact, of the other 26 goals 11 were scored by players who won't feature this season (Hopkin 3, Rodger 1, Berhalter 1, Kirovski 5, Benjamin 1) 6 were scored by players currently injured (Jamie Smith 4, Akinbiyi 2) leaving just 9 scored by players in the current squad (Riihilati 5, Gray 2 and Popovic 2)

Our defence lost 20 games last season (as a benchmark Barnsley lost 20 and Crewe 21 and were both relegated) so without Dougie and Clinton we would have been really struggling.

Apologies for starting on such a negative note but I just cannot see where the goals are going to come from this season, other than Dougie.

Any crystal ball gazers out there?

Simon A
28-07-2002, 03:45 PM
This has a horrible ring of truth to it. We scored enought last season to have been in the playoffs easily, but conceded enough to be relagation fodder. Clint & Dougie were the best striking partnership in the division and now it's as good as gone. With AA out until November(?) we are expecting a player who patently isn't considered to be the same standard, to replace Clint in the short term. We will at least start the season without Clint, Akinbyi, Rodger, Kirovski, Smith, Symons and balanced against the players who have come in we will kick-off with a squad weaker than the same time 12 months earlier and I don't like the prospect of that one bit.
:(

MARK PALACE TILL I DIE
28-07-2002, 05:07 PM
Thanks for rubbing our noses in it Clint.:grrr:

I canít bring myself to wish you good luck with the Brumscum so itís goodbye and thanks for the goals at Palace.

You silly boy. If you had stayed for one more season you would have probably got your dream move to Spurs.
:rolleyes:

Diehard
28-07-2002, 05:20 PM
Thanks also Clint for winding up the Scousers in the Worthlesss Cup!!!;)

SIR
28-07-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by MARK PALACE TILL I DIE
I canít bring myself to wish you good luck with the Brumscum so itís goodbye and thanks for the goals at Palace.

Yep same here. I hope you fail miserably at Birmingham. You had to go, mate I can see why. You need to be on the biggest stage, the premiership. It's the holy grail of footballers and I cannot begruge you this because you are good enough, you can earn more money and become a better footballer. There is no garauntee of this at Palace. Everything and everyone has to move on.

However, did you really need to go to Steve Bruce and their two bob outfit? They are nothing. You knew how much Bruces departure from Palace hurt the fans. It may be that no other premiership club came in for you but if this was the case why didn't you stay with us for another season, bang in another 24 goals with your eyes closed and then see what the situation was? I'm sure West Ham, or Fulham, or Spurs or even maybe Arsenal would have taken you on for 4 or 5 mil at least after another good season.

So it's goodbye, thanks for keeping us ticking over and giving palace some publicity over the years. You were almost on the way to becoming an Ian Wright icon for Palace, however now you have become like him for all the wrong reasons.

I've forgotten you already.

Mr Routledge step forward....

James
28-07-2002, 06:00 PM
Oh please get real everyone.

Morrison didn't ask for a transfer and in particular he didn't ask to go to Birmingham. Jordan effectively told Morrison where to go (he's quite good at that).

Morrison has been brilliant for us, and all genuine, intelligent and decent fans will wish him all the very best.

SIR
28-07-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by James
in particular he didn't ask to go to Birmingham.

James, how do you know he didn't ask to go to Birmingham? I believe he wanted to go there because he forged a good relationship with Bruce (and probably because he doesn't like Jordan) And rather than let him stay at Palace and have him winge all season, SJ's cut his losses, sold him to the highest bidder and said "see you next season".

Clapham Grand
28-07-2002, 06:35 PM
Goodbye Clint - you are irreplacable

28-07-2002, 06:57 PM
I had somewhat reluctantly accepted that realistically Clinton was going to have to go when we bought Ade Akinbiyi for that seemingly idiotic price tag of £2 million. When we finally threw away our automatic promotion spot and then our play-off chances by truly dreadful uninspired football, I could see there was no way we could afford to have a three-striker line-up of Dougie, Clint and Ade, worth a total of around ,say, £8 million. Mr Simon the Pieman was going to need some of that Palace value in the form of cash.
People seem to forget that despite the drabness of the second half of last season, we spent an absolute fortune by our standards on players - Matt Clarke, Ade (as already mentioned) Symons, Glanville, Fleming. Plus we have had to keep on paying for Hopkin. Plus ITV Digital's collapse, and the withdrawal of ntl's sponsorship of footie on the internet/cable.
I only hope that the £2 million on Akinbiyi and the new lad Andrew Johnson will prove sufficient to replace the big emotional and skills gap left by a young Palace hero.
Of course I wish Clint all the best wherever he goes. I have nothing whatsoever against Birmingham City FC. I have long since forgotten Steve Bruce, rather as I have had to force myself to forget ex-girlfriends, as dwelling on the past and becoming all bitter and twisted isn't good for anyone at all.

Psychokiller
28-07-2002, 07:32 PM
Wright
Bright
Armstrong
Bent
Jansen
Morrison

Same old Palace.

Gabbiadini
Williams
Taylor (?)
Bradbury
No-One
Johnson (jury out)

Can we at least see Andy Johnson in a Palace shirt before we start slagging hime off and lumping him in with the likes of Taylor and Bradbury?

GUCCI Eagle
28-07-2002, 07:36 PM
Thereīs only one Akinbiyi!!!!!!

PeterH
28-07-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller

Can we at least see Andy Johnson in a Palace shirt before we start slagging hime off and lumping him in with the likes of Taylor and Bradbury?

Fair enough Psycho, although Williams and to be fair Gabbiadini weren't bad players. At this stage I cannot see him making the top list of strikers though, and that is where my point resides. Lets hope for great surprises, ehh. :)

James
28-07-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by SIR

James, how do you know he didn't ask to go to Birmingham? I believe he wanted to go there because he forged a good relationship with Bruce (and probably because he doesn't like Jordan) And rather than let him stay at Palace and have him winge all season, SJ's cut his losses, sold him to the highest bidder and said "see you next season".

If it helps you to believe that, I won't stop you.

hughff
29-07-2002, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by What?
Well, lets hope he does a Ravenelli/Hasselbank and scores loads of goals, but Brum still go down!

And then, he re-signs for Palace because we're going up the other way. Unlikely, but wouldn't it be nice.

Good luck, Clint. IMHO, you're a legend.

hughff
29-07-2002, 02:48 AM
Ever since the possibility of Clint leaving began (ie from the moment when promotion became impossible), we've known that this season will be a gamble. I think we'll probably spend the whole season in that grey area where a run of losses will spell relegation and a run of wins will mean safety and obscurity in the mid-table.

Good bye and thanks, Clint. Good luck, Andy J.

Beanie
29-07-2002, 02:57 AM
I think the bigger gamble would have been KEEPING Clinton.

Setting aside any financial necessity, after he had decided he wanted to go the only thing the club could do was sell him. Clinton is only human, once the move was muted and decided that it was right, he would not have been the same player for Palace, just like any person in any work place is not the same when they really want to be somewhere else. Not only would he have been wanting away, but it probably would have unsettled others.

Selling him is not what the club would have wanted as a first choice, and it's a pity that we didn't sell at the peak of the market price, not when fees are on the slide. Same as Rio Ferdinand really (except price!!) - there came a point when he was inevitably going despite what people said.

All we can do is wish Clinton well, and hope that Ade, Johnson, Kabba or Williams (or a mix) can fill the gap alongside Dougie.

Riccardo
29-07-2002, 03:19 AM

Completely disagree. Very harsh post Pete !!

Personally, I loved the guy. A lot of potential as well.

See ya Clint, and thanks for sticking with us for this long !! :p

Phil O'Sophical
29-07-2002, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Beanie
I think the bigger gamble would have been KEEPING Clinton.

Setting aside any financial necessity, after he had decided he wanted to go the only thing the club could do was sell him. Clinton is only human, once the move was muted and decided that it was right, he would not have been the same player for Palace, just like any person in any work place is not the same when they really want to be somewhere else. Not only would he have been wanting away, but it probably would have unsettled others.

Selling him is not what the club would have wanted as a first choice, and it's a pity that we didn't sell at the peak of the market price, not when fees are on the slide. Same as Rio Ferdinand really (except price!!) - there came a point when he was inevitably going despite what people said.

All we can do is wish Clinton well, and hope that Ade, Johnson, Kabba or Williams (or a mix) can fill the gap alongside Dougie.

Don't disagree for a minute, any player that is determined to leave should be allowed to go, but to have any chance of promotion we are going to have to repeat this year's performance of 20 wins or better and score north of 70 goals. Ade was bought as back up for Clinton and Dougie because it was considered dangerous to rely on two strikers going the whole season without injury.

With Clinton going and Ade injured and yet to hit form (which he is capable of given his past Div 1 record) we are down to just Dougie. If he gets injured we have a major problem.

Unless there are plans to spend some of the Clinton money on a proven striker I cannot see where the goals will come from with any confidence.

BUNGLE
29-07-2002, 03:50 AM
I'm not quite as negative as you lot, In Clakre and Kolinko we have 2 goalkeepers good enough to take us into the play-offs. And when we have a fit defence (Fleming, Popovic, Symons and Granville only played 3 games together and we won all 3) we are pretty good and will take some beating. It's a myth that there injury prone, weve just been unlucky since they have arrived. The only problem I see is that Fleming may not be able to last a whole season and we have Smith and Butterfield for cover. Maybe we need another centre back for cover but Mullins is adequate if we don't get one. We need another central midfielder but I think we will be signing one with the money from selling Morrison (hopefully Trond Anderson as rumoured before). Reports seem fairly favourable of Butterfield and with grey on the left wing were fine on both flankes. Upfront we all know Freedman can do it if he isn't being tempremantal, Akinbiyi has a proven record of scoring in division 1 and we will hopefully see him back to his best when he returns from his injury. Johnson seems to get good reports from Birmingham fans and probably would have from Palace fans had he been going anywhere else but to Palace. Lets hope he is given a chance as everyone who has seen him and can look past statistics say he has potential. Lets just hope he is given a chance, We'll probably get another striker in as well and Kabba seems to have improved. All in all there arn't many squads that are better than ours and with some consistency and organisation (which I think are Francis's strong points) we can be in the play-offs.

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 03:55 AM
Once again I completely agree with you Bungle, on Palace issues you are one of the most sensible people on here.

Neil the Eagle
29-07-2002, 04:26 AM
I would agree but we will sign NO-ONE!

PalaceFan in Alabama
29-07-2002, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
I would agree but we will sign NO-ONE!

Agree, I do not understand why people think that we have money to spend! Don't some of you understand that Brum are paying us in installments. I know, no different than we have done in the past, but why in hell does SJ makes such a to do about SB and Brum and then sells our best player to them on an HP plan?
Confirms to me, that SJ is a joke :veryangry

All I want is the truth, I can deal with the truth far easier than all these stories :grrr: Strange thing is if he told us the truth now, we most likely would not believe him:( Do I hear a cry of 'WOLF" :rolleyes:

erictheninja
29-07-2002, 11:45 AM
ITS A DESPERATE MEASURE BY A DESPERATE MAN,THE T.V MONEY HAS GONE AND JORDAN IS SKINT.

Les Butler
29-07-2002, 11:50 AM

Cleon
29-07-2002, 01:27 PM
If this move is all confirmed, then it is an example of how the club has fallen in recent years under the mismanagement of Goldberk and Jordan.

As for Clinton, I sincerely wish him all the best. I hope he scores 30 goals, which prove to be not enough to save the Brum scum, and is sold on to a more deserving cause next summer, as Birmingham have to reacclimatise to First Division football. Morrison has given 110% for Crystal Palace over the last few years, a club which has been little more than a joke in the way it has been run. He's put up with the sacking of a great manager, the appointment of a grade-A moron (who subsequently put him on the transfer list, and told every journalist he could find that he had an attitude problem), brink of relegation, the chairman's failure to support an intelligent manager (despite his ugly face), and subsequent replacement with another grade-A moron as manager. Clinton could have left ANYTIME prior to this point if he really wanted to - a transfer request would have done it. He is reported to have turned down an offer from Sunderland, because he wanted to stay with Palace.

The club has sold him out, to cover the financial problems caused by mismanagement.

GOOD LUCK CLINTON

Your are officially a Palace legend.

AJ1969
29-07-2002, 01:44 PM
Hear hear, except for the last line. Morrison will not succeed in the premiership, brum will be back down in the 1st within 10 months and footbally wh*re Bruce will be off like a shot when things go sour. Also, I have now lost every faith in Jordan to help clever Trevor build a decent football side. Now that's a good start to a Monday. I do however wish Clinton all the best, just not at Brum where I hope he fails miserably and ends up on the bench in a Brum side which passes us on the way down as we sail in to the premiership.

Daddy Long
29-07-2002, 01:52 PM
Best of luck to Clinton, who deserves it for all the goals he has scored and made for Palace over the last few seasons. He is irreplaceable. It is such a shame to see a great talent leave Palace. I'm still gutted and I've been trying to come to terms with it for weeks now.

Irelands No 10

Phil O'Sophical
29-07-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
I'm not quite as negative as you lot, In Clakre and Kolinko we have 2 goalkeepers good enough to take us into the play-offs. And when we have a fit defence (Fleming, Popovic, Symons and Granville only played 3 games together and we won all 3) we are pretty good and will take some beating. It's a myth that there injury prone, weve just been unlucky since they have arrived. The only problem I see is that Fleming may not be able to last a whole season and we have Smith and Butterfield for cover. Maybe we need another centre back for cover but Mullins is adequate if we don't get one. We need another central midfielder but I think we will be signing one with the money from selling Morrison (hopefully Trond Anderson as rumoured before). Reports seem fairly favourable of Butterfield and with grey on the left wing were fine on both flankes. Upfront we all know Freedman can do it if he isn't being tempremantal, Akinbiyi has a proven record of scoring in division 1 and we will hopefully see him back to his best when he returns from his injury. Johnson seems to get good reports from Birmingham fans and probably would have from Palace fans had he been going anywhere else but to Palace. Lets hope he is given a chance as everyone who has seen him and can look past statistics say he has potential. Lets just hope he is given a chance, We'll probably get another striker in as well and Kabba seems to have improved. All in all there arn't many squads that are better than ours and with some consistency and organisation (which I think are Francis's strong points) we can be in the play-offs. [B]

Nothing would give me greater pleasure but for you to be right but being realistic look at how many times you have used "seem", "hope" and "probably" - there's a lot of "ifs and buts" and that's a problem for me. We are moving from having the best striking pair in the division with potentially a very good back up in Ade to having just Dougie. At best, even if he knocks in 30 this season it leaves the others to score at least 40 to make the playoffs (o.k. West Brom did it by scoring 61 last season but they had an exceptional defence but Burnley 70 and Preston 71 both missed out). If Dougie gets injured and Ade is out or hasn't hit form I dread to think of the consequences.

With our current squad nobody scored more than 5 last season and I believe AJ's record is 2 goals in 60 appearances for Brum.

I also have faith in TF given his consistent play off achievements (although so far he hasn't passed the winning post) but I can't get away from the bottom line question - apart from Dougie, who do you see the goals coming from this season? At the hend of the day we are going to need a definite 60, probably 70+ goals to have any chance of going up.

James
29-07-2002, 02:11 PM
Nothing wrong with Bungle's optimistic post. I enjoyed reading it, and it gives me some encouragement. I share the views of the majority that this will be a tough Season, but who knows? If everyone who is left really fires, perhaps we will see 2002/2003 produce some new Palace legends. We will certainly miss Clinton, but his departure is not the end of the world.

Palace are not the only Club in trouble. I suspect that the First Division will be weaker than at any time this year. Hopefully, we will be less mediocre than most of the rest. The first few games will be very important Ė if we get off to a good start, it will lift the Team, get the crowd behind the new boys, and then Ė who knows? I donít want to think much about what might happen if we lose our first few games.

Gazza the Guru
29-07-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Cleon

GOOD LUCK CLINTON

Your are officially a Palace legend. [/B]

You are entiteled to your opinion, but....

Jonny Byrne
John Jackson
Kenny Samson
Ian Wright
Mark Bright
John Salako
Nigel Martyn

Were Palace Legends. I Don't think 3 seasons warrants being a LEGEND!

Maidstoned Eagle
29-07-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Gazza the Guru

Jonny Byrne
John Jackson
Kenny Samson
Ian Wright
Mark Bright
John Salako
Nigel Martyn

You forgot Jim Cannon, Vince Hilaire, Billy Gilbert and Gareth Southgate all of which I would put ahead of Clinton in a Legends list.

wholethedougout
29-07-2002, 02:54 PM
This of Clinton I can safely say,
He has been a player who has given us hope, he has given us dreams and some times gave us a bit of success. He was a player full of genius and loyalty, he was a man that shared his quality with us and most of all he treasured and enjoyed giving it. There is no doubt Clinton is a great player, not just his outstanding quality but his sheer effect on the Palace followers.
For moving on I can say only this he has earned it and if anyone believes otherwise they obviously cannot appreciate what he has already done for us.
To go to Brum is dissapointing, but they are a premier league team and he has earned a chance to shine especially at the top flight.
For Morrison i wish all the luck and if everyone else cant there must be something very wrong with the world.

At the end of the day remember this, He was here, He made his mark, But now its his time like others to depart.

Goodbye Clint.

Richard
29-07-2002, 03:28 PM
You forgot Jim Cannon, Vince Hilaire, Billy Gilbert and Gareth Southgate all of which I would put ahead of Clinton in a Legends list.

And Peter Taylor.

Caisterman
29-07-2002, 03:35 PM
Legend = Tommy Langley

:p

Richard
29-07-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Phil O'Sophical
Selling Clinton's one helluva gamble. Without him we are going to be relying solely on Dougie and that's not enough IMHO. Last year the two scored 42 league goals between them. The rest of the players managed just 26 between them (from CPFC website), the third highest scorers were Riihilahti and Kirovski with just 5 each.

I accept that Morrison needed to go - for his own career and, possibly, because Palace need the money (both the transfer fee and the reduced salary). I also think / hope that Akinbiyi will prove to be a much better player than he has so far demonstrated in his Palace career - and I hope that our "supporters" will allow him sufficient time to find his confidence.

However the stats above are very sobering - not just in the goals scored, but also because I suspect that a significant number of those 42 goals were created or assisted by the other strike partner. So far, it appears that we have nobody to act as Dougie's "foil", although possibly Johnson may possess the excellent footballing brain that Dougie needs to work with, in order to compliment his own. In addition to his footballing skills, Morrison also had a very good reading of the game which Akinbiyi appears, so far, to lack (but please let's not write him off yet) and Kabba and Routledge are also yet to prove whether they possess such intelligence. I'm nervous.

Er, has Morrison's transfer actually gone through yet (he asks, clutching at straws) ?

917L
29-07-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Best of luck to Clinton, who deserves it for all the goals he has scored and made for Palace over the last few seasons. He is irreplaceable.

Agree with all but the last sentence, Nobody is irreplacable.

Daddy Long
29-07-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by 917L

Agree with all but the last sentence, Nobody is irreplacable.

How nice for you. I can't be arsed to get into a big discussion over whether he is replaceable or not....suffice to say that we couldn't pick up an equally talented player now for £4.25 million.

917L
29-07-2002, 04:00 PM

How nice for you. I can't be arsed to get into a big discussion over whether he is replaceable or not....suffice to say that we couldn't pick up an equally talented player now for £4.25 million.

Apologies that I dont hold the same opinion as you.

Daveyboyross
29-07-2002, 04:21 PM
F@ck off Clinton. You and Bruce deserve each other - both Judas c*nts. Dougie is better anyway.

Cleon
29-07-2002, 04:44 PM

Jonny Byrne
John Jackson
Kenny Samson
Ian Wright
Mark Bright
John Salako
Nigel Martyn

How many of those players were hawked around in the same way that Clinton has been, and stayed with a club throughout a administration period?

I believe Clinton gave a lot to this club, including hope when we were in a very dark place, for precious little in return.

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 04:50 PM

Perhaps the Champions Leage and World Cup striker Emmanual Olisadebe who is touted at £3.3m

Or perhaps Gilberto Silva who won the World Cup, at £4.5m

Or perhaps twice World Cup winner Rivaldo who was released from his contract at Barcelona

etc etc etc

There are plenty of players available at a cheaper price than our Division One injury prone Republic of Ireland reserve striker.

Daddy Long
29-07-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa

Perhaps the Champions Leage and World Cup striker Emmanual Olisadebe who is touted at £3.3m

Or perhaps twice World Cup winner Rivaldo who was released from his contract at Barcelona

etc etc etc

There are plenty of players available at a cheaper price than our Division One injury prone Republic of Ireland reserve striker.

You know its not as simple as that (at least I hope you do)

Clinton is on half the wages...Olisadebe wanted 30k a week!

Also.....try attracting a plaer of any quality to Palace. Can't be easy.

Cleon
29-07-2002, 04:56 PM

Utterly unproven in the English leagues, and often commented on as a bit of a donkey.

I'm guessing that wages might be slightly higher for these two. Total package costs are probably £10m+

Wow. Why aren't we picking these bargains up right now?

As for 'injury prone' - you obviously didn't see him play virtually every game for the last two season? Maybe you were too busy watching your Premiership SKY package, or was it ON-Digital?

Belly
29-07-2002, 04:57 PM
Totely overated, a good player but nothing more.He'll be found out sooner rather than later, but then £20 grand a week should comfort the blow for him.

wedgetail
29-07-2002, 04:58 PM
Has he gone yet?

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 05:04 PM

You know its not as simple as that (at least I hope you do)

Clinton is on half the wages...Olisadebe wanted 30k a week!

Also.....try attracting a plaer of any quality to Palace. Can't be easy.

No, the actual sum it worked out that Olisadebe wanted was £8k a week.

These were just examples that sprung to mind.

If you look at who the Premiership clubs have signed this summer, there havent been that many over £4.25m

Its a deflated market, as I have said TIME AND TIME again.

Originally posted by Lets Have Another Swipe at AJs Goal Ratio
Wow. Why aren't we picking these bargains up right now?

As for 'injury prone' - you obviously didn't see him play virtually every game for the last two season? Maybe you were too busy watching your Premiership SKY package, or was it ON-Digital?

I saw every home game except for Millwall last season. Clinton is a good player but he is disinterested a lot of the time and was I believe the most offside striker in the Division. His goal ratio isnt that much better than Ade Akinbiyis, and lets remember Ade Akinbiyi has played a year and a half of Premiership football.

Lets check Clintons stats in a year and a half and see if he is at 0.32 a game in his career as a whole.

Edit: Oh and as for injury prone, wasnt he told a couple of years ago that another major blow to the shoulder could signal the end of his career?

fieldy
29-07-2002, 05:11 PM
Well it's goodbye to the Incredible Sulk as he disappears up the M6 with his shoulder chips, sovereigns and gold teeth to the land of the silly sounding folk, to the bright lights of Dudley & Solihull, and the most happening night stops the West Midlands have to offer :afro:

Anyone want to lay me a score he kisses the Brum Scum badge when he scores his goal? :vader:

El Aguila
29-07-2002, 05:12 PM
Bit too far the other way though, don't you think, Jaffa? Morrison was worth more TO PALACE than Olisadebe, or whatever he was called, after coming up through the ranks.

Cleon
29-07-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by fieldy
Well it's goodbye to the Incredible Sulk as he disappears up the M6 with his shoulder chips, sovereigns and gold teeth to the land of the silly sounding folk, to the bright lights of Dudley & Solihull, and the most happening night stops the West Midlands have to offer

Anyone want to lay me a score he kisses the Brum Scum badge when he scores his goal?

I'd expect him to kiss Bruce's feet for getting him away from supporters like yourself. For 'incredible sulk' read 'top scorer three seasons running'.

Originally posted by SKY Subscription Boy
Clinton is a good player but he is disinterested a lot of the time and was I believe the most offside striker in the Division. His goal ratio isnt that much better than Ade Akinbiyis, and lets remember Ade Akinbiyi has played a year and a half of Premiership football.

Lets check Clintons stats in a year and a half and see if he is at 0.32 a game in his career as a whole.

Edit: Oh and as for injury prone, wasnt he told a couple of years ago that another major blow to the shoulder could signal the end of his career?

That is not how I'd define injury prone.

As for comparing Akinbiyi's and Morrison's goal ratio, one is 0.30, and one is 33% higher at 0.39. Not sure what your point is here? Or are you contending that Akinbiyi is a better striker than Morrison?

If so, I'll call the men in white coats now.

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 05:36 PM

I'd expect him to kiss Bruce's feet for getting him away from supporters like yourself. For 'incredible sulk' read 'top scorer three seasons running'.

That is not how I'd define injury prone.

As for comparing Akinbiyi's and Morrison's goal ratio, one is 0.30, and one is 33% higher at 0.39. Not sure what your point is here? Or are you contending that Akinbiyi is a better striker than Morrison?

If so, I'll call the men in white coats now.

Hahahah - Sky Subscription Boy ---- oooh the insults... Dont know how Ill cope. So Ive got Sky, does this make me a "bad person (c)"?

Similarly, I bet Andrew Johnson was clinging onto whatever was to hand at Birmingham to stop him being dragged off to Palace to encounter fans like you. Moaning about him before he has even signed.

Morrison hasnt been tested in the Premiership, if he can better Ade Akinbiyi's 11 in one season (for a poor team - similar to Birmingham in that respect) then Ill say he is the better striker.

Gazza the Guru
29-07-2002, 06:02 PM

How many of those players were hawked around in the same way that Clinton has been, and stayed with a club throughout a administration period?

I believe Clinton gave a lot to this club, including hope when we were in a very dark place, for precious little in return.

AGREED! I did not say I do not wish Clinton all the luck or that he is not a good player.

What I said, and I repeat, is 3 seasons do not make him a legend. If he had stayed and while longer and had done more, then I would clasify him as a legend.

He is, at the moment, far from being a great player. Going to Birmingham might be good, but I doubt it. The first time things go wrong for him and he sulks around the pitch will show him for what he is.

I personally thought he was a good player until something went wrong and then he showed us what he is really like underneath. Not sure Bruce is the manager capable of shaking this out of him, but good luck to them.

He is not a Palace legend by a long way!

Daddy Long
29-07-2002, 06:07 PM

Morrison hasnt been tested in the Premiership, if he can better Ade Akinbiyi's 11 in one season (for a poor team - similar to Birmingham in that respect) then Ill say he is the better striker.

I'm sure that will make his year.....

fieldy
29-07-2002, 06:25 PM
Breaking news, Morrison deal on ice as AJ has asked for time to consider his next move. It was intended that CM would have a medical Sunday PM and be unveiled at a press conference Monday AM but this has now been put on hold in light of AJ. The deal is now on the verge of collapse as Palace insist any deal is subject to AJ agrreing to move the other way! Source? Evening News (local brum rag I guess)

AJ1969
29-07-2002, 06:30 PM
looking at a basket of eggs, 1 chicken, 2 chickens, 3 chickens....etc

Breaking news, Morrison deal on ice as AJ has asked for time to consider his next move. It was intended that CM would have a medical Sunday PM and be unveiled at a press conference Monday AM but this has now been put on hold in light of AJ. The deal is now on the verge of collapse as Palace insist any deal is subject to AJ agrreing to move the other way! Source? Evening News (local brum rag I guess)

NZsparky
29-07-2002, 06:31 PM
Sorry, I have no idea how to feel about this anymore?

917L
29-07-2002, 06:31 PM

Strange as BCFC quoted that the medical was today and the press conference would be tomorrow!

heinz 57
29-07-2002, 06:34 PM
Oh goody, more uncertainty.

at least i can be sure this is a palace site :rolleyes:

It wasn't me!
29-07-2002, 06:38 PM
Well AJ was at training today!!

Latvian
29-07-2002, 06:42 PM
lets hope AJs a fat boy and fails medical

AJ1969
29-07-2002, 06:43 PM
I am, and would :D

Originally posted by Latvian
lets hope AJs a fat boy and fails medical

917L
29-07-2002, 06:56 PM

What I said, and I repeat, is 3 seasons do not make him a legend

1.5 seasons was enough for Lombardo.;) :rolleyes:

Daddy Long
29-07-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!
Well AJ was at training today!!

Having his medical?

Cleon
29-07-2002, 07:14 PM
Hahahah - Sky Subscription Boy ---- oooh the insults... Dont know how Ill cope. So Ive got Sky, does this make me a "bad person (c)"?

Similarly, I bet Andrew Johnson was clinging onto whatever was to hand at Birmingham to stop him being dragged off to Palace to encounter fans like you. Moaning about him before he has even signed.

Merely responding to your 'witticism' previously. My pleasure.

And I continue to contend that there is nothing wrong with criticising a management decision to sign a player who has yet to prove themselves. Indeed, I think that blind faith in the decisions of anybody is damaging, let alone when those individuals have the track record of Simon Jordan.

As for Akinbiyi, I have generally supported him, and believe that he and Freedman are the natural strikeforce given the current players available. However, I'd like to point out that Akinbiyi's 11 goal Premiership season was during Peter Taylor's early reign, when Leicester topped the division for some time, and only fell apart from March onwards. I doubt Birmingham will do so well this season. Despite this, I certainly believe that Clinton will score more than 11 goals this season.

If you look at Clinton's strike record against Premiership clubs, it's very good (Sunderland three times, Leicester twice, Liverpool once, Sheffield Wednesday once etc.).

Richard
29-07-2002, 07:18 PM
CP-FRIS have just reported a newswire story:-

"Crystal Palace manager Trevor Francis is lining up out-of-contract
Birmingham striker Dele Adebola to replace St Andrews-bound
Republic of Ireland international Clinton Morrison."

(Why can I never read that player's name without imagining Francis' nasal whine pronouncing it ?)

If there is any truth in this, then my determination to give Francis sufficient time to prove himself will be sorely tested. Didn't Francis say that if he could have had Morrison up front at Birmingham he would have got them promoted ? That so, why (if there is any truth in this story) why are we now trying to sign up the deadwood that Francis felt couldn't get Birmingham promoted ?

Will S
29-07-2002, 07:28 PM
Interesting... will we play the battering rams (Akinbiyi and Adebola) or the shorties (Johnson and Freedman) or a combo ?

Spikemeister
29-07-2002, 07:32 PM
Johnson and Derry are good signings.
Adebole ? Only if it's stop gap cover whilst Akinbiyi gets fit.(which it might be).

Georgie Boy
29-07-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Will S
Interesting... will we play the battering rams (Akinbiyi and Adebola) or the shorties (Johnson and Freedman) or a combo ?

I think we'll see some of the text book Francis tactics this season:

DOUBLE STRIKER SUBSTITUTION HELPS PALACE WIN PROMOTION

:rolleyes:

Symon10
29-07-2002, 08:08 PM
bye clint :sob:

rambo
29-07-2002, 08:31 PM
An article has recently (I think) appeared on the CPFC site, dated Friday. SJ says the Club didnt want to lose Clinton but that he wanted to go...

Daddy Long
29-07-2002, 08:33 PM
yeah right......

Maidstoned Eagle
29-07-2002, 08:52 PM

I can't understand all this "Clinton stayed with us through administration" thing. There were hardly scores of teams breaking their necks to buy him at that stage was there. Remember he had a recurring, career threatening shoulder injury through a lot of this period.

He came along at Palace at the right time for him, when anyone who could kick a ball in a straight line would stand out as a talent amongst the maybes, not quites, never quite will be's and has beens of the squad back then. He had to play alongside such great strikers as Andrew Martin, Paul Kitson, Matt Svensson etc. and when put alongside a real talent like Mikael Forssell he pouted, sulked and struggled to shine.

Sorry, I do appreciate his goals (the one against Sunderland being top of my list) but I never looked at Clint with rose tinted glasses, and I'm sorry to say it, but his deficencies will be shown up in the Premiership this season.

Phil O'Sophical
29-07-2002, 09:00 PM
Update - the Brum web site says that both players are undergoing medicals today, no problems are anticipated and they expect the transfers to be completed on Tuesday.

Caisterman
29-07-2002, 09:02 PM
I knew SJ would blame Clinton. He is trying to imply that Clinton asked for a transfer because this looks better on himself. I don't believe him, and I think most Palace fans would find it very difficult to believe him on this point. If Clinton was under contract, all SJ had to do was refuse his request. I suspect SJ thinks Palace fans are dummies, and we can't figure out the only reason Clint has been sold, is because Palace need the money.
:sob: :sob:

Good luck Clint. I wish you were'nt going to Vermingham, but i wish you well anyway. :p

Maidstoned Eagle
29-07-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Caisterman
I knew Clinton would blame SJ . He is trying to imply that SJ gave him a transfer because this looks better on himself. I don't believe him, and I think most Palace fans would find it very difficult to believe him on this point. If Clinton wanted to honour his contract, all SJ had to do was refuse his request. I suspect Clinton thinks Palace fans are dummies, and we can't figure out the only reason Clint has been sold, is because he wanted the money.
:sob: :sob:

Or put another way.............

kolinkins
30-07-2002, 01:45 AM
on sky sports news, they are reporting it as a £5mill deal - at the same time as the SJ interview - maybe he had set them straight on the fee.

also noticed on sky sports news that mullins wants a new contract!

Gazza the Guru
30-07-2002, 01:53 AM

I can't understand all this "Clinton stayed with us through administration" thing. There were hardly scores of teams breaking their necks to buy him at that stage was there. Remember he had a recurring, career threatening shoulder injury through a lot of this period.

He came along at Palace at the right time for him, when anyone who could kick a ball in a straight line would stand out as a talent amongst the maybes, not quites, never quite will be's and has beens of the squad back then. He had to play alongside such great strikers as Andrew Martin, Paul Kitson, Matt Svensson etc. and when put alongside a real talent like Mikael Forssell he pouted, sulked and struggled to shine.

Sorry, I do appreciate his goals (the one against Sunderland being top of my list) but I never looked at Clint with rose tinted glasses, and I'm sorry to say it, but his deficencies will be shown up in the Premiership this season.

Hear hear. Well said. Also lombardo may have been with us for longer than Clinton, but he is hardly a legend either. How long was he injured through this period. A quality player yes, but as soon as the weather changed, he was clutching that hamstring and.... off to warmer climates for rehab.

hughff
30-07-2002, 01:54 AM

Jonny Byrne
John Jackson
Kenny Samson
Ian Wright
Mark Bright
John Salako
Nigel Martyn

two comments:
1) Just because the aboive named (and others touted by subsequent posters) were legends does not mean that Clint can't be.
2)Clint was top scorer for the club in four seasons, being every single season he played (if you ignore the ten minutes or so of Premiership football he played.)

Clint is a legend. In 10 and 20 years time, we will talk of him in the same way that we do some of that list, for example KS, who also left us too soon because a chance to play for a more successful club came along.

hughff
30-07-2002, 01:58 AM

etc etc etc

There's a big difference between price tag and availability. Rivaldo has a price of 4.25 less than Clint but is/was totally unavailable to Palace or even to ManUre, quite frankly. I cannot see any player replacing Clint's production, both as scorer and as partner to Dougie, in the near future. I just hope that whoever does replace him on the pitch is effective enough for us not to stare at relegation.

wholethedougout
30-07-2002, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Daveyboyross
F@ck off Clinton. You and Bruce deserve each other - both Judas c*nts. Dougie is better anyway.

In the words of Buzz Lightyear (pretty sad I know!! But these apply to u)
"U r a sad strange man, u have my pitty"

U obviously don't have a clue, u r one of those morons that just go to slag off a player when he has a bad day aren't u. Why dont U do US a favour and F@ck off ure self U stupid C*nt.

Clinton did more for Palace dan lots of people and u oviously couldn't do a donkey let alone do anything for Palace!!!

SO TAKE URE OPINIONS AND STICK THEM.........

Oh yeah, just so this moron knows what the overall opinion is, What do u think of his comments? Go on comment I dare u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

biggus mickus
30-07-2002, 02:45 AM
I agree with you. It happens every time. Remember the crap Ian Wright got, when he went to the gooners. Peter Taylor, when he went the yids.

Maidstoned Eagle
30-07-2002, 03:04 AM
Chris Armstrong when he went to the dogs

917L
30-07-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by biggus mickus
I agree with you. It happens every time. Remember the crap Ian Wright got, when he went to the gooners.

Biggus, If you recall Wright only started to get sh*t after the shirt kissing incident. Prior to that he got the same respect as other past hero's have and still do get.:rolleyes:

SIKO
30-07-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by rambo
An article has recently (I think) appeared on the CPFC site, dated Friday. SJ says the Club didnt want to lose Clinton but that he wanted to go...
Complete and utter ******* bollox

NRM the 2nd
30-07-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by SIKO

Complete and utter ******* bollox

I second that, but no doubt thats the crap Jordan will feed us. As said before Clinton had every right to say he wanted to play in the premiership I would have been worried if he didn't. But he was happy to stay at Palace and if he does turn out for jollys testimonial we will all see that. I'm sure he's begging Bruce to let him have one last game in a Palace shirt and say goodbye to us.

So Jordan sorry I don't buy this one. Clinton has turned down big money moves in the past, i'm sure you wouldn't think twice about jumping ship if someone made you an offer.

Onto the coming season, although i'm gutted to see Clinton go, West Brom went up last year having sold Hughes, and Ipswich finally made it once they had sold Dyer. So there is hope and I would like to think we could start this season giving our full support to the coaching staff and players because that would be points in the bag already.

917L
30-07-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by NRM the 2nd

Clinton has turned down big money moves in the past,

Just who made these 'offers' that were accepted by the club but refused by Clinton then?

NRM the 2nd
30-07-2002, 01:33 PM
Don't know just sounded good in my fit of rage. Do we have to back replies up with solid facts then, thats a bit of a bugger.

sydney eagle
30-07-2002, 01:44 PM

Complete and utter ******* bollox You have been correct about Clinton in the past SIKO and told me your connection with him and in an PM once before about an "upcoming event" about Clinton that happened so I have to take your word for it.NRM the 2nd is also correct about the bullsh*t Jordan will feed us. I have always given SJ the benefit of the doubt but I am getting tired of the sh*t that dribbles out of his gob. I wish he'd just shut up and get on with his job in peace and quiet.

SIKO
30-07-2002, 02:41 PM
Well it's goodbye to the Incredible Sulk as he disappears up the M6 with his shoulder chips, sovereigns and gold teeth to the land of the silly sounding folk, to the bright lights of Dudley & Solihull, and the most happening night stops the West Midlands have to offer :afro:

Anyone want to lay me a score he kisses the Brum Scum badge when he scores his goal? :vader:

Yeah I do, how much.

fieldy
30-07-2002, 04:44 PM

Yeah I do, how much. As I said "a score" slang for £20 sterling !!! :rolleyes:

telegraph eagle
30-07-2002, 04:57 PM
press conference from 2pm on sky sports news.:confused: :confused: :confused:

What?
30-07-2002, 05:01 PM
The only reason we are selling him to Bruce so cheap is to keep him quiet over what really happened!

Skin Up
30-07-2002, 06:30 PM
Well as it's all official now, good luck Clinton, cheers for all the goals.:(

Markie mark
30-07-2002, 07:22 PM
Interesting that some, not all of the strikers that have been great at CPFC have been crap when they have moved on. IE Armstrong and Jansen. If these players had stayed at CPFC they would have realised their full potetional. Will it be the same for Clinton?. Wright on the other side was another story. It would be great if Clinton flopped and we got him back in a couple of years at a bargin price........

Fountainhead
30-07-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Markie mark
Interesting that some, not all of the strikers that have been great at CPFC have been crap when they have moved on. IE Armstrong and Jansen. If these players had stayed at CPFC they would have realised their full potetional.

Is that the same Matt Jansen that was so crap last year he was called into the England squad ?

Armstrongs career at Tottenham has been plagued by injuries although IMHO he never had the potential to be anything other than a average premiership forward anyway.

Markie mark
30-07-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Fountainhead

Is that the same Matt Jansen that was so crap last year he was called into the England squad ?

Armstrongs career at Tottenham has been plagued by injuries although IMHO he never had the potential to be anything other than a average premiership forward anyway.

If Armstrong had stayed at CPFC things would have been far better for him. As for average I seem to remember he was the quickest player over 100 m in the league at the time. He was far from average untill Spurs destroyed him.

arussell
30-07-2002, 08:06 PM
Clinton's first interview. Unusually subdued for him - I get the impression he doesn't want to be there, especially that second photo

http://www.bcfc.com/team/view/featured_player/0,,10412~247000,00.html

Fountainhead
30-07-2002, 08:20 PM

If Armstrong had stayed at CPFC things would have been far better for him. As for average I seem to remember he was the quickest player over 100 m in the league at the time. He was far from average untill Spurs destroyed him.

Don't want to sidetrack this thread into a discussion about the merits of Chris Armstrong.

Anyway, he'll always hold a special place in my heart for the far post bullet header against Millwall at home during the 93/94 promotion season in front of a packed Homesdale. One of those special memories that makes all the lows seem worthwhile.

fieldy
30-07-2002, 10:02 PM
He really doesn't look happy does he??? :(

kolinkins
30-07-2002, 10:10 PM
i cant believe some of the stick clinton is getting! there was a bloke on talksport earlier saying how clint was a waste of space and he was glad to see the back of him. what rubbish. he was our top scorer for a few seasons - and were it not for his goals, we would be in div 2 by now. he has moved on to bigger and better things - we should wish him luck. which of u, when offered the chance for a promotion, and to work for a manager who u really wanted to work for would turn it down? i wouldnt.

GOOD LUCK CLINT. IGNORE THE C**P THAT SOME 'SUPPORTERS' CHOOSE TO POST ON HERE. MOST OF US WHO LOVE PALACE WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK FOR THE FUTURE!

brighton_eagle
30-07-2002, 10:12 PM
Clinton is a confidence player, and he needs to know the fans like him. He knew that at Palace (despite the occasional moron), but now he is unsure of the reception he is likely to get. He no doubt remembers some of the abuse Akinbiyi received when he joined us, and is hoping that he doesn't get any of the same if it takes him a while to get off the mark.

I feel very sad today. Cheers Clint. :(

El Aguila
30-07-2002, 10:14 PM
"And you may ask yourself-Well...How did I get here?

And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful house!
This is not my beautiful wife!
Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime/water flowing underground.

And you may ask yourself
Am I right?...Am I wrong?
MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

For Clinton, copyright Talking Heads.

rambo
30-07-2002, 10:31 PM
Re the reaction to Jordan's statement, isn't there a bit of truth in what both sides wd say?

Clinton, to be fair to SJ, was making noises about bids from Premiership clubs well before the recent Birmingham speculation started. And rightly from his point of view, he probably wasnt going to get tied down with another CPFC contract at this stage, without knowing how we were going to do next season.

But even if Jordan could have afforded to keep him on (setting aside ITV digital and speculation about Club finances which we cant verify either way) it would be something of a risk doing so for another season without a new contract being signed fairly soon. The alternative was to sell him while he has the chance.

Of course this doesnt make me any less gutted that he's gone.

Son of Shacker
30-07-2002, 10:33 PM
I would firstly like to thank Clinton for what he has done for the Club. Thank you.

But, I'm a bitter & twisted individual so from now on I don't wish him any success at all.

He's gone to Brum - a club I hated even before SB.
He plays for Ireland, so there's no particular reason to cheer for him there.
Whilst I don't wish him any personal misfortune I do hope they get relegated on record low points.

Welcome to AJ, Dele? and anyone else who wants to play for CPFC

rambo
30-07-2002, 11:38 PM
SIKO, in reply to your earlier threads, CM is quoted on our official website as saying that when the Birmingham offer came in, he asked the Club to seriously consider it as it was always his ambition to play in the Premiership.

Are you saying that is not true? If it is true, it is difficult to see how it would have worked for him to stay on.

Streatham man
31-07-2002, 02:29 AM
OK, I've been on holiday for a week, and here's my reaction to all the events that have taken place:

1. I'm gutted at having lost Clint, to Brum no less. Regardless of what a minority says on these boards, he's a great player who scores 20 goals consistently every year. He knows how to put the ball in the back of the net, which is priceless.

2. I'm also disappointed that we're breaking up the squad. We were within a couple of pieces of having a championship team -- a creative midfielder, and another centre-back. It's clear TF wants to construct his own team from scratch (keeping a handful of the current players) and imprint his own style (hoofball?)

3. The criticisms of Mullins are misplaced on this board (you know who you are). He's a very good player who will get better. After Clint and Dougie, I rate him as the third most important player for Palace over the coming years. If TF or SJ sell him, it will be another indication that we're constructing a team from scratch and taking any money from transfers we can.

4. Derry (if it happens) and AJ look like potentially good signings to me, and I disagree with some of those who have belittled AJ's goalscoring prowess. He could be excellent over time. Anyway, he's not a donkey like a number of the other signings! Let's get behind the whole team 100% when they come out against Preston. Let's give TF a few more months to prove he knows what he is doing and try to cheer Palace onto victory. We're the 12th man!

99percent
31-07-2002, 03:21 AM
Love ya CLINT,thanks for the good times through this era of ***** and all the best for the future.(if Mick McCarthy had brought Clint on , CPFC would have been looking at at least £6 million)

Dave Nunn
31-07-2002, 04:21 AM
Thanks Clinton for doing your job and getting a promotion :rolleyes:

jlmatthews
31-07-2002, 04:26 AM
I have been gone with no internet access for about a week. This sucks a$$. Wasn't expecting to see that when I got home...Damn big nose............:(

What?
31-07-2002, 04:33 AM
At least the likes of Wright and Armstrong, and even Jansen to an extent went to bigger clubs. I might hate Arsenal, but i couldnt blame Wright for going there.

Clint on the other hand has no excuse, they are not a bigger club, and he knows the hatred, he has kicked us in the teeth.

Bungalow
31-07-2002, 01:36 PM
Clint had become a big fish in a small pond and the reverse will now apply. I think it will be interesting to see how he gets on at Brum and it was probably time for him to move on. We all knew he would go to a Premiership side soon and anyone in his position would want the same.Good luck to him.

I also like the soundbites coming from Johnson and look forward to seeing him try and live up to it (and get Dougie to pass to him).

02-08-2002, 01:57 AM
he was my fav player and ever since i herd that the deal had been signed ive lost all confidence in the chairman and manager and sad to say i fink we are gunna struggle this season. i went last nite and we didnt play 2 bad we missed clinton. he will never be replaced no body with his quality will ever play for palace again. i love clinton he is the man. dele adebola is not the answer but forrsell it for sure. long live the memory of clint in the palace fans hearts foreva and also long live jolly rodger you are a star bruv u deserve better a years contract at the palace at least but thats just jordon and francis for you they will rather sell the cream of the crop. they also think that by giving freedman a new contract that we mite for give him for selling clinton. no way. he is a dimond of a player!!!

andy m
26-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Bump :lux:

PalaceMonkey
26-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by cpfc4lifeand4ev
he was my fav player and ever since i herd that the deal had been signed ive lost all confidence in the chairman and manager and sad to say i fink we are gunna struggle this season. i went last nite and we didnt play 2 bad we missed clinton. he will never be replaced no body with his quality will ever play for palace again. i love clinton he is the man. dele adebola is not the answer but forrsell it for sure. long live the memory of clint in the palace fans hearts foreva and also long live jolly rodger you are a star bruv u deserve better a years contract at the palace at least but thats just jordon and francis for you they will rather sell the cream of the crop. they also think that by giving freedman a new contract that we mite for give him for selling clinton. no way. he is a dimond of a player!!!

glad this fella has left. That is virtually impossible to read or understand!

Balti Man
26-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Not many pages saying goodbye to Clinton. Sure there was more on the Routledge depo...

Äpfc
26-08-2005, 02:42 PM

Johnson

Quality replacement, quality business Palace.

great prediction:p :D

sydnsteve
26-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Even better business now. Two players and about £2 million from Brum I make it.

Debaser
26-08-2005, 02:51 PM
yup, certainly was a good financial deal for us- see? SJ *is* a businessman!!!

andyocpfc
26-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Quite interesting to read peoples point of view. Since then

- We've hammered brighton 5 - 0
- Got into the premiership & and out
- Discovered a striker we paid 750k for and made him into an england international and an 8m + player
- Got Iain Dowie on board

Doesnt time fly!

Any more???

andyocpfc
26-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by andyocpfc
Quite interesting to read peoples point of view. Since then

- We've hammered brighton 5 - 0
- Got into the premiership & and out
- Discovered a striker we paid 750k for and made him into an england international and an 8m + player
- Got Iain Dowie on board

Doesnt time fly!

Any more???

Oh, got a women and gettin plenty now :o :D

elgin eagle
26-08-2005, 03:12 PM
lets do more business with Birmingham in future

mrdance88
26-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by elgin eagle
lets do more business with Birmingham in future
hehe :D

Santos-er
27-08-2005, 12:28 AM
It would be great if Clinton flopped and we got him back in a couple of years at a bargin price........

:p :D

Palaceboy222
27-08-2005, 12:46 AM
Wright
Bright
Armstrong
Bent
Jansen
Morrison

Same old Palace.

Gabbiadini
Williams
Taylor (?)
Bradbury
No-One
Johnson (jury out)

I can't believe we got dumped with that johnson guy;)

to be fair, i was thinking exactly the same

The Vicar
27-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
Even better business now. Two players and about £2 million from Brum I make it.

It is laughable...Brum just sending dosh and top quality players our way at no cost!

BTW, didn't we also get some compensation from Brum for taking Bruce before the end of his contract? I can't recall the figure...anyone recall it?

Here's hoping they keep losing.

The Vicar
27-08-2005, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Streatham man
Derry and AJ look like potentially good signings to me, and I disagree with some of those who have belittled AJ's goalscoring prowess. He could be excellent over time.

Give that man a cigar!

losteagle
27-08-2005, 04:39 AM
Looking at these it makes me realise how much most of us really know about the game and players, so many of us were worried about getting AJ and look it now,
Well welcome back clinton lets hope Morrison and Johnson become as much of a legend as wright and bright (although the names don't scan as well)

EnglandEagle
27-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Probably won't happen.

Not them playing well its just that it doesn't rhyme and that's important.

Palaceboy222
27-08-2005, 09:15 AM
J'son and M'son??

Explicit CPFC
29-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Eagle
I just want to wish him all the very best, even though it is Birmingham he has signed for, but i do still feel it's a bad move for him.

Turned out to be a bad move for him. Glad to see him at the club again.

bradpitt
29-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by aadams
Good Luck Clint & thanks for the memories. Wish it was'nt Birmingham, but hey s**t happens.
Welcome Andrew Johnson & lets hope it will his name we will be chanting this season.:confused: It will never happen!:D

<_tece_>
29-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Wright
Bright
Armstrong
Bent
Jansen
Morrison

Same old Palace.

Gabbiadini
Williams
Taylor (?)
Bradbury
No-One
Johnson (jury out)

Lol.

<_tece_>
29-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Eagle
On the other hand, i think its time we welcomed Andy Johnson.
I dont think its fair that we regard him as the replacement for Clinton because we know he wont be and it will be sad if you all expect that from him, he is just a player who has been used as part of the deal and i'm sure he must be feeling unwanted at the moment aswell.
I honestly feel that given a run in the side he can be a good goalscorer and his pace will frighten most defences and he may surprise many of you.

Lol x 2.

Absolution
29-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Always funny to read the old comments so many hats well and truely eaten sometimes :D

bradpitt
29-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Latvian
lets hope AJs a fat boy and fails medical :p