PDA

View Full Version : Forsell listed

PeterH
27-07-2002, 03:53 PM
So Chelsea have now decided Mikhael is surplus to requirements as the cash crisis there starts to pinch.

I do beleive we have 3m in the coffers (3m less than SJ promised to get for Clint, and strangely 2m less than he told us Brum offered before, cracking business Simon).

Redeem yourself Simon for the Clint, Bruce, Ade, Smith, Coppell, Rubens, Ruddock, Linnigan, Pollock, Hopkin and currently Francis debacles. Do something exciting, act now, go get Forsell.

Go on give it a go, something proactive, something not dull, something wonderful for fans heartily tired of how this summer has developed.

You haven't got it in you SJ, can't do it can you, like Noades before you, you can't go that extra yard. You proved that when you lied to us at the Fans Forum about Clinton. Hope you got a good speech lined up for the Open Day.

Same old Palace. Same old Chairman.

danos
27-07-2002, 03:59 PM
is this true??
if so lets get him. Show us some real ambition Jordan.

WorthingEagle
27-07-2002, 04:15 PM
Not only is he probably worth about 5m if not more, the reason we sold Morrison is to pay-off Hopkin, pay installments on previous transfers, and generally keep the club going.

The only chance we have of signing Forssell is if I win the lottery tonight and invest a large chunk of it in Palace.

:p

Holmesdale Boy
27-07-2002, 04:17 PM
If there was any possibilitie of getting him it would sofen the blow of losing Clint, come SJ show some ambition your always going on about.

Mong!
27-07-2002, 04:17 PM
I agree! Do it Simon!! We put offers in for him last season why not now? We could have 4 quality strikers!!!

g23
27-07-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by WorthingEagle
Not only is he probably worth about 5m if not more, the reason we sold Morrison is to pay-off Hopkin, pay installments on previous transfers, and generally keep the club going.

The only chance we have of signing Forssell is if I win the lottery tonight and invest a large chunk of it in Palace.

Spot on. And on that note, I've bought three 'lucky dip' tickets for tonight. If I win enough to buy him, you can all bow down before me in thanks at every home game next season - that should suffice.

Blinger
27-07-2002, 04:45 PM
and he'd sign for us because...

Beanie
27-07-2002, 04:59 PM
With you Blinger - nice to see somebody with a bit of perspective.

Reality check time - If somebody can actually come up with a good and REALISTIC reason why Forrsell should come to Palace - instead of the Bundesliga (at least three clubs have shown interest in the past) or perhaps Serie A or La Liga (lower ends of admittedly) or even sign for another Premiership club. - I'd be delighted to hear!

Whether the money for Clinton has already been used or whether it is sitting there to be spent is not the question. Why should he come?

BUNGLE
27-07-2002, 05:02 PM
Forsell is probably worth twice what were getting for Clinton.

g23
27-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Reality check time - If somebody can actually come up with a good and REALISTIC reason why Forrsell should come to Palace - instead of the Bundesliga (at least three clubs have shown interest in the past) or perhaps Serie A or La Liga (lower ends of admittedly) or even sign for another Premiership club. - I'd be delighted to hear!

Who wouldn't want to play with Aki? And London's a great place to live. And we'd love him.

There y'go, that's three.

Beanie
27-07-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by g23

Who wouldn't want to play with Aki? And London's a great place to live. And we'd love him.

There y'go, that's three.

...and then reality flies out of the window! It might take a tad more than that! Rivaldo could have those things - but I bet he chooses Milan!

Brian Turner
27-07-2002, 05:20 PM
I also understand from a colleague who supports Chelsea that Forsell has a knee injury problem and has recently been to the States for an operation, putting him out for some time. I cannot be certain that this is the case but he hasn't figured in the Chelsea pre-season matches.

MadRabbiinaCrimsonVolvo
27-07-2002, 05:34 PM
It would be great to see MF arrive for another spell, either as a loan player or as a permanent signing.

I think with the money worries Chelsea have got at the moment, they wouldn't be as reluctant to do a deal as they may have been previously.

That said, does Jordan really have the ambition (or the actual money) to get Forsell? Also, would Forsell want to sign for us at this time? Plus, Francis has some funny tastes in players and Forsell may not be his cup of tea, so to speak - another stumbling block.

I do think AA signing was an insane risk. I just hope he comes good for us in the end. I think we are just going to get behind AA and Johnson and make the best of it. I cannot see Simon Jordan spending big again this season at least. No doubt the Morrison money will be used to plug other leaking holes with.

After all the anti-Birmingham rhetoric SJ came out with after Bruce left, I cannot believe him selling Clinton to them. It means one of two things, either Jordan is a hypocrite (I don't believe this) or, things are not at all good financially at Selhurst Park and with Birmingham being the only serious bidder on Morrison, Jordan was forced to sell him to them.

g23
27-07-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
...and then reality flies out of the window! It might take a tad more than that! Rivaldo could have those things - but I bet he chooses Milan!

OK, so maybe I have to win 10M tonight and pay him mega-wages too. Hey, whatever it takes. :)

PeterH
27-07-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by MadRabbiinaCrimsonVolvo
It would be great to see MF arrive for another spell, either as a loan player or as a permanent signing.

I think with the money worries Chelsea have got at the moment, they wouldn't be as reluctant to do a deal as they may have been previously.

That said, does Jordan really have the ambition (or the actual money) to get Forsell? Also, would Forsell want to sign for us at this time? Plus, Francis has some funny tastes in players and Forsell may not be his cup of tea, so to speak - another stumbling block.

I do think AA signing was an insane risk. I just hope he comes good for us in the end. I think we are just going to get behind AA and Johnson and make the best of it. I cannot see Simon Jordan spending big again this season at least. No doubt the Morrison money will be used to plug other leaking holes with.

After all the anti-Birmingham rhetoric SJ came out with after Bruce left, I cannot believe him selling Clinton to them. It means one of two things, either Jordan is a hypocrite (I don't believe this) or, things are not at all good financially at Selhurst Park and with Birmingham being the only serious bidder on Morrison, Jordan was forced to sell him to them.

Spot on response for me.

Whether he would lower his now higher standards is not the point. I just want to see us going for a player of his quality. Despite Alan Smith the young Forsell played well for us, knows some of the players at Palace and could probably link with Freedman and Aki pretty well.

Are Chelsea able to list a player who is seriously injured, if there is no chance of recovery.

What is Forsells value. If Morrison goes for 4m, perhaps we can get Forsell for that. If we haven't got the money, tell us and we will stop this speculation, a bit of upfront truth would not hurt. If we have to sell a player for somewhat less than hoped because of a perceived changing market place, why should it only be us. Why should Chelsea insist on 5m or 6m if the goalposts have in fact moved? Or have we been didled out of Clinton, which I suspect is the case.

Chelsea may sell Gudjohnson for 11m, so they seem to be a selling club.

Just have a look Palace if you can.

dannyturner
27-07-2002, 06:03 PM
I would guess that our new signing AJ will be as effective as Forsell ever was in the first division. I remember Forsell's contribution vividly. He had all the touches, and he would twist and turn like a twisty turny thing, but only ever scored against Stockport, and they have been relegated. Not for me thanks. For all of his potential he lacked a real cutting edge even at first division level. Better off trying to unearth a gem from the lower reaches, or someone like Scott Dobie, who is not 100% happy at West Brom.

BUNGLE
27-07-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by dannyturner
I remember Forsell's contribution vividly. He had all the touches, and he would twist and turn like a twisty turny thing, but only ever scored against Stockport, and they have been relegated. Not for me thanks.

???

Didnt he score 14 goals for us under Smith?

dannyturner
27-07-2002, 06:11 PM
Yes probably, but a few of them were cup goals and the rest were against Stockport, probably. He gives the ball away too cheaply and always looks a bit lost, we don't need a Thommo up front as well as in midfield.

BUNGLE
27-07-2002, 06:12 PM
and always looks a bit lost,

Dare I say it, abit like you :o, Forsell would piss all over this division.

PeterH
27-07-2002, 06:18 PM
It looked for all the world that he would be a great player though. 14 goals in a topsy turvy formation where he was rotated with the other two often is not a bad return for a first season for a 19 year old. He seemed to play well in his few appearances for Chelsea in the Prem last year.

For me this is quality, better than the untried Kabba and the haunted and injured Ade. Better than the 2 in 60 Johnson. Perhaps theres 750k there that could have helped secure the deal.

2.25 Ade
0.75 Johnson
1.00 from Clint money,

now thats 4m.

LLCOOLSTEVE
27-07-2002, 07:54 PM
I very much doubt it would ever happen at this time, palace aren't going to beable to go out and spend a couple of million squid or more on a player, not with the money problems that are flying about, probably be much more sensible to get 2-3 out of contract players on a free, player's who could add something to the team or can add good backup to what we have.

Jimbo ?
27-07-2002, 08:40 PM
forsell - dream on!!!!

PeterH
28-07-2002, 01:24 AM
Palace aren't going to be able to do feck all if we sell our most hi profile player for 2m less than we could have got in May to people we despise. Thus severing the only realistic chance of a top six finish next term.

This is a gloomy gloomy day again Palace. Two weeks before the season starts, lets hope the news spurs on those dithering about getting season tickets.

I know why don't we just sit back and take it again.

SJ you can stuff your Fans Forums up your @rse.

Wedgy
28-07-2002, 01:40 AM
If this is true, it has to be acted on.

He was good at Palace, but seeing Forsell last season - he has grown as a player tremendously.

NewRoadBee
28-07-2002, 02:25 AM
Excuse me for butting in lads but if CP are a bit strapped for cash at the moment and had to sell Clinton , why didnt you sign Owusu ?
For me he was well worthy of a gamble and he was on a Bosman so if he didnt make it the loss was relatively paltry and even then you could have recouped the outlay by selling him back to div 2 where he is proven.He did speak to Palace I believe?
It will be very interesting to see how he fares with Sheffield Wednesday.

There are also many clubs who fancy Leon Mackenzie. Saw him twice last season ,he was excellent. Probably better now than he was at palace as he is over his fitness troubles.

Other than that Earnshaw at Cardiff is a top prospect who could go all the way.

Ormerod at Southampton could be worth a bid also.

Gooders
28-07-2002, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by NewRoadBee
Excuse me for butting in lads but if CP are a bit strapped for cash at the moment and had to sell Clinton , why didnt you sign Owusu ?

Because he scores lots of goals and wasn't going to cost a fee - that would have made far too much sense NRB. :rolleyes:

Beanie
28-07-2002, 02:47 AM
There are also many clubs who fancy Leon Mackenzie. Saw him twice last season ,he was excellent. Probably better now than he was at palace as he is over his fitness troubles.

He was fit at Palace, but he proved time and again he couldn't cut it at Div 1 level. We have enough problems resigning players who were good first time round, without resigning ones that weren't.

Beanie
28-07-2002, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Gooders

Because he scores lots of goals and wasn't going to cost a fee - that would have made far too much sense NRB. :rolleyes:

..but mostly because he didn't want to come and fight for a place, just wanted guarenteed starts as he has been promised at Wednesday. We shall see!

Stellavista
28-07-2002, 03:14 AM
What is the point of a thread like - has the penny not finally dropped, with even the most optimistic Palace fans?

Palace are skint.
Surely, selling our greatest asset, for a pitiful amount of money, bolstered by a makeweight, to the club and manager that Jordan obviously hates with a passion, tells you that Palace - not SJ - are on their uppers?

Oz_da_Eagle
28-07-2002, 03:21 AM
What is the point of a thread like - has the penny not finally dropped, with even the most optimistic Palace fans?

it's nice to dream though isn't it

i agree we got buckley's chance of buying (let alone signing) super mick

:sob: :sob: :sob:

Wedgy
28-07-2002, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Oz_da_Eagle

it's nice to dream though isn't it

Agreed - what else would we talk about if the penny dropped? :D

28-07-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Wedgy
If this is true, it has to be acted on.

He was good at Palace, but seeing Forsell last season - he has grown as a player tremendously.

Which is why his transfer fee and wages will now be far beyond Palace's or any other First Division Club. He is also extremely unlikely to want to return to playing Nationwide Football, now he has had a real taste of the big time. In fairness to the player, he deserves to be playing in the Premiership. Lets all be thankful that under Steve Coppell, Mikael and Ashley Cole and their Clubs gave us the opportunity to see two of the game's rising talents, before they finally made the grade.

PeterH
28-07-2002, 05:57 PM
Stella,

You are of course correct. Give us a dream or give us reality thats what I am asking for. Don't tell us one thing and then sell our prize asset on the cheap, and then tell us everything is rosy. In short put up your money or explain why its not possible. At the moment it looks like AJ for Clinton as a straight swap if the remainder has to pay bills. Not too worried about that if we are just told the truth of the stuation. Except of course its bad management and bad transfer business again.

SJ was asked to ensure two things:

1) We would get a good price for CM
2) We would get it all in cash for us to spend on who we wanted not solving someone elses surplus player problems.

Additionally he played to the crowd, LAUGHING OFF a proposed 5m Brum bid as never going to be accepted, then accepting at best a 1m less. Now tht makes him look like jackass thats been legged over like some of those models in Sullivans mgazines IMHO.

I am not saying anything here thats new, just trying to outline the facts.

RednBlue
28-07-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by PeterH
Additionally he played to the crowd, LAUGHING OFF a proposed 5m

That was then....

...then accepting at best a 1m less
This is now!.

What a wonderful thing hindsight is!!

PalaceFan in Alabama
28-07-2002, 08:21 PM
SJ no longer needs James to point out that he is an idiot :(
He has finally come out of the closet and proven to all Palace supporters he is indeed a complete arsehole :clown:

The facts have been covered in prior posts on this thread and this moron expects us to believe anything he says. He cannot claim that the press has got it wrong this time! He has paid (once again) over the mark for an average 1st Div. so called striker. I for one do not blame the player, one has to look after oneself.
To take a cut in the asking price and then to have the remainder be paid on installments, because Brum are in as much trouble as we are, once again proves to me that SJ believes he is playing 'Monopoly'.
The writing is finally on the wall, we have an idiot of a Chairman and a joke of a manager.

I have been reading about the problem at WBA and they claim they are being paid 1st Div. wages, well I think we have players who are being paid Prem. Div. wages, this is based on the figures published in the article I read :veryangry

I have it on very good authority that TF is the one who wanted AJ, as he has gone on record as stating this player is as good as anyother striker in the 1st Div. I feel sorry for the kid, I hope the crowd give him a chance, but based on TF judgement so far, I do not hold out much hope for him to be more than average :grrr:

28-07-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Stellavista

Palace are skint.
Surely, selling our greatest asset, for a pitiful amount of money, bolstered by a makeweight, to the club and manager that Jordan obviously hates with a passion, tells you that Palace - not SJ - are on their uppers?

It is important for Palace fans to differentiate between Jordan and Palace's financial situation. Jordan is a long way off being skint, but CPFC, even before the ITV/Digital fiasco and the Stock Market collapse was trading at a loss. At this juncture it looks as if Jordan has recognised that the Club has to stand in its own feet and become viable without large handouts of his cash. He began making savings last season when he drastically trimmed the reserve squad. He has continued the process by not renewing the contracts of players like Rodger, Kirovski, Berhalter etc., and by trying to shed highly paid players like Hopkin who have passed their sell-by date. The Morrison deal,
sponsorships, and other revenue-enhancing measures will, hopefully,
enable the Club to balance the books and enable it to make the signings Steve Kember says have been earmarked to strengthen the squad, once the Morrison/Johnson transfers have been done and dusted

sponsorships, and other revenue-enhancing measures will, hopefully, help him to balance the Club's books, and enable us to take on the players Steve Kember has said we have already ear-marked to strengthen the first team squad, once the Morrison deal is done and dusted..

strengthen the First -team squad.
the players Steve Kember says we have been earmarking

Diehard
29-07-2002, 02:22 AM
I would guess that our new signing AJ will be as effective as Forsell ever was in the first division. I remember Forsell's contribution vividly. He had all the touches, and he would twist and turn like a twisty turny thing, but only ever scored against Stockport, and they have been relegated. Not for me thanks. For all of his potential he lacked a real cutting edge even at first division level. Better off trying to unearth a gem from the lower reaches, or someone like Scott Dobie, who is not 100% happy at West Brom.

Well said Danny,

I would add that he was actually scared of heading the ball too! He was guilty of ducking out of several headers and more often than not was out of position for receiving headers from crosses. That said, he would still be a great signing for his more noted attributes. But OHHHH the wages!!!!!!!
Probably not Trevor's "kind of player" either!:rolleyes:

hughff
29-07-2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by WorthingEagle

Let's all get behind WorthingtonEagle for the lottery.:p We want Forssell.

Sadly, this is a good idea I can't see happening.

g23
29-07-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by g23
Spot on. And on that note, I've bought three 'lucky dip' tickets for tonight. If I win enough to buy him, you can all bow down before me in thanks at every home game next season - that should suffice.

I only got two numbers, by the way, so I guess that's that (unless Wednesday proves exceptionally fortunate).

Jordan's Jacket
29-07-2002, 06:33 PM
Of course it would be nice, but Forssell is destined for great things. We saw his undeniable talent and it would be true to say that he is the most naturally gifted player I have seen in quite some times.

Dare I say that he is twice the player Clinton is and no doubt twice the price. Still one can dream...

917L
29-07-2002, 06:41 PM
I remember Forsell's contribution vividly. He had all the touches, and he would twist and turn like a twisty turny thing, but only ever scored against Stockport, and they have been relegated

Strange compaisons, yes Stockport have been relegated, a year later, he also scored against Forest,Sunderland etc etc to add up to 2nd top scorer behind Clinton(in far less starts);)

Noodlezz
29-07-2002, 06:46 PM
What about this season how many consecutive starts from the bench did he make and he still scored. He's class all the way, so we ain't gettin' him

Dave
15-12-2002, 02:05 PM
News of the screws predicts he will be spending time @ an unnamed first division club on loan when back from injury.

Clapham Grand
15-12-2002, 02:40 PM
He would be welcome back, but do we need him? I guess his class will shine through again in Div 1

cgiles43
15-12-2002, 03:11 PM
Lets b honest where not going to b buying him even getting him in on loan i find hard to believe. we already have 5 strikers and we hav no money why do think we sold kabba as soon as someone offereda small fee for someone in a couple of years is going to b worth a couple of millions.

Oz_da_Eagle
15-12-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
but do we need him?

Uh oh, we've got the second nomination for silliest question of the year here. He'd be first on the team sheet every week for us. Pure class.

BTW first nomination for silliest question:

Should we drop Dougie?

Baz To The D
15-12-2002, 04:30 PM
How good would it be to see Forssell, Freedman, Black, Routledge and Gray playing in the same side!!!

Aint gonna happen though:sob:

Latvian
15-12-2002, 04:58 PM
You guys aint gonna like me but we dont need him!

Black
AJ
Dele
Williams
Dougie
Akinbiyi

He was great at dribbling then just unleased a daisy cutter (some went it some....)

Oz_da_Eagle
15-12-2002, 05:11 PM
Plain fact is that he's better than all them (possibly bar Dougie) which, as you English say, at the end of the day may mean more points for Palace and more chance of a playoff spot.

BTW i don't think we got a snowball's chance in hell of picking him up :sob:

pallet
15-12-2002, 05:39 PM
What sense would this make, getting rid of Kabba because he is so far down the pecking order and then getting Fossell in. Anyway we dont need him,we have Dele, the fountain of skill.

Oz_da_Eagle
15-12-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by pallet
What sense would this make, getting rid of Kabba because he is so far down the pecking order and then getting Fossell in.

Let me use this comparison:

Micky = white wine
Kabba = vinegar

What would you rather have? :o

Don't worry we're not getting him anyway

freekickuk
15-12-2002, 06:05 PM
buy buy buy

BUNGLE
15-12-2002, 09:06 PM
Plain fact is that he's better than all them (possibly bar Dougie)

Possibly bar dougie my left nipple. Forsell is pure class, Freedman is average.

zonin2000
15-12-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
Possibly bar dougie my left nipple. Forsell is pure class, Freedman is average.

Forsell is pure class.

Freedman is a living legend.

GUCCI Eagle
15-12-2002, 09:17 PM
They're all toilet. Sign me up, or maybe Brett Angel, he's good.

LLCOOLSTEVE
15-12-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by GUCCI Eagle
They're all toilet. Sign me up, or maybe Brett Angel, he's good.

or Nigel Jemson :)

What?
15-12-2002, 10:27 PM
Would be good, when he went back to Chelsea he was on fire. However Portsmouth would be a more likely destination.

pete eagle
15-12-2002, 10:50 PM
depending on when he recovers from injury, it would be a good signing.

We have enough strikers here and he would add extra wages in areas where they would be unneeded. Now if there were reports that we were signing a premiership defender on loan for a month as cover for Popovic......

Skin Up
15-12-2002, 11:48 PM
We've already got $hit loads of strikers, if we can afford the wages of a Premiership loan guy then please get a creative midfielder.

pete eagle
15-12-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Skin Up
We've already got $hit loads of strikers, if we can afford the wages of a Premiership loan guy then please get a creative midfielder.

Black does it nicely for me at the moment

What?
15-12-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle
Now if there were reports that we were signing a premiership defender on loan for a month as cover for Popovic......

Matt Upson would be perfect. However i dont think he would come back as i dont think he liked it here first time around.

Dartford Lad
16-12-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by What?
Matt Upson would be perfect. However i dont think he would come back as i dont think he liked it here first time around.

But things have changed for the better since then!

Hope we could get Upson in if the need arose. Pompey are his most likely destination though. :confused:

arussell
16-12-2002, 12:52 PM
I'd still rather splash out 700k and grab Neil Shipperley back myself !

firesign
16-12-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by arussell

Absolutely, 100% spot on. He's wasted at the Wombles.

garner
16-12-2002, 01:00 PM
David May has resigned himself to the fact he may never play for Utd again, he's only 32, good signing methinks

Clapham Grand
16-12-2002, 01:29 PM
Uh oh, we've got the second nomination for silliest question of the year here.

Evidently not a silly question, given some of the answers on here :p

Dave
16-12-2002, 01:33 PM

We would certainly get more of him this time - he HUGE!

the_next_matt_jansen
16-12-2002, 01:46 PM
Forssell and MJ on loan. :p

arussell
16-12-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Dave
We would certainly get more of him this time - he HUGE!

And imagine where we'd be in the league with 14 extra goals as well Dave.

LLCOOLSTEVE
16-12-2002, 06:21 PM

And he would love to come back...........

Oz_da_Eagle
16-12-2002, 06:29 PM
Evidently not a silly question, given some of the answers on here :p

Why doesn't that surprise me? ;)

DE - Glad All Over
16-12-2002, 06:38 PM
Buy, buy, buy

Neil the Eagle
16-12-2002, 10:46 PM
Anyone who seriously thinks we are going to buy anyone is deluding themselves... we need to raise cash, not spend it.

Even taking Shipperley as, say, payment of rent arrears still leaves us lumbered with his wage bill. He nearly came back before but we wouldn't stump up for his personal terms then, I certainly can't see us doing so now.

What?
16-12-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
Anyone who seriously thinks we are going to buy anyone is deluding themselves... we need to raise cash, not spend it.

Even taking Shipperley as, say, payment of rent arrears still leaves us lumbered with his wage bill. He nearly came back before but we wouldn't stump up for his personal terms then, I certainly can't see us doing so now.

Spoil sport.

Neil the Eagle
17-12-2002, 01:11 AM
The Spoilsports personality for another year... :(

gcwhite
17-12-2002, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle

So he gets paid shed loads of cash by a team with no supporters? No wonder football is in a mess.

Come on Shipps, take a pay cut and come home.

Kirby
18-12-2002, 02:34 AM
Do we need Forssell?

OF COURSE WE BLOODY NEED HIM! He's class!

He performed brilliantly in an Alan Smith team. Imagine how good he could be for us now in this team.

99% sure it won't happen tho! :(

Shipperley's more realistic, if we dump another one of our current forwards.

Jason
18-12-2002, 11:25 AM
Would love to see Forsell back. He's better than any of our current strikers, so would be an asset to the club. If we could arrange a deal with Chelsea where we signed him on loan till the end of the season, and shared the wages, surely good move all round ?. Probably wont happen though.

As for Shipperley, no way is he worth 700k in this market. I'd actually read that he was on a free (can't remember where though, so this may be rubbish), in which case it would be a good move. We could then perhaps pay him a lump sum up front in return for a lower ongoing problem. Perhaps a more realistic move at the end of the season than now though (with four front line strikers already on the books I can't se another permanent signing in that department, with one less perhaps a different story).

Finally Upson . . . .would love it, but no chance. Arsenal recalled him from Reading, when Pardew wanted to keep him for the season. That being the case, why would they let him go to another club on loan?

Oaks Eagle
18-12-2002, 12:24 PM
I think his head should be removed!!!:o :o

Beanie
18-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Said it before and will say it again - Forrsell - class player, but why should be develop him for Chelsea, and then have to start again with (for example) Williams when Forrsell is back at the Bridge?

Develop PALACE players, not players for other clubs.

Gooders
18-12-2002, 02:39 PM
I liked Forssell, but I'd rather have AJ.

Honest!

pedro
18-12-2002, 03:53 PM
Looking at Sheff U bulletin board it seems their fans think Forssell is on his way to them!

2can
20-12-2002, 01:40 PM
With freedman out until March, we must sign a striker on loan. Forsell would be a great choice and I'm sure he would be keen on a (brief) return to south london.

Ben H
21-12-2002, 09:51 PM
We're skint, we won't be buying anyone. Only selling.

toms rockin
22-12-2002, 10:57 AM
in this mornings obserever us, sheffield united and wednsday are all after him on loan.
hopefully he will make a trip back two us.
just imagine AJ, Forsell and Black

Clapham Grand
22-12-2002, 09:30 PM
I think that's just wishful thinking my Observer journo David Hills, who is an ardent Palace fan!

What?
14-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Well today SJ has said we wont be getting him, not even on loan he says we allready have 6 strikers, what do we need another one for.

RichieG
14-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Quite, what a stupid addition to the squad he would be.

We have Tommy, Dougie, AJ, Akinbiyi, Adebola and Williams - more than enough - 3 proven Div 1 goalscorers, 2 hot prospects and 1 unknown. Why would we want another?

Elephant with mouse gyp
14-01-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by RichieG
Why would we want another?

Because he's better than all of them? By some distance, in fact.

What?
14-01-2003, 04:07 PM
Wouldnt give the others a good message would it. Im happy with our lot, if they were all fit!

RichieG
14-01-2003, 04:20 PM
If we went up, he would be a good purchase, but right now I think it is more of a supporters dream than a likely management target.

917L
14-01-2003, 05:14 PM
. Why would we want another?

Because he's better than the current ones(except Doug) and I always thought Forssell/Freedman was our best pairing even when Clint was here.

El Aguila
14-01-2003, 05:18 PM
Not so sure. Marvellous technique but slightly lacking in goal and threat of goal.

Clapham Grand
14-01-2003, 05:31 PM
From PA:

Crystal Palace have ruled out a loan move for Chelsea's Finland international striker Mikael Forssell.

Chelsea coach Claudio Ranieri has hinted the 21-year-old may go out on loan to rebuild his fitness after a knee ligament injury.

Chairman Simon Jordan said: "I've got six strikers already and I'm sure they would say 'gaffer why are you bringing in another striker when there are six of us here already?' Where would I play him?"

Shame really, but you can see his point

Oz_da_Eagle
14-01-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
Because he's better than all of them? By some distance, in fact.

I'll second that

Celestial Empire
15-01-2003, 01:29 AM
Chelsea just want him to get some match practice coming back from a cruciate injury, no mention of a sale. Time to keep a stable squad and concentrate on the run-in.
Where are ShefU getting all this money ? Windass, Forsell .... isn't there a limit to the number of loan players ?

Beanie
16-01-2003, 01:02 PM
Quite, what a stupid addition to the squad he would be.

We have Tommy, Dougie, AJ, Akinbiyi, Adebola and Williams - more than enough - 3 proven Div 1 goalscorers, 2 hot prospects and 1 unknown. Why would we want another?

Totally agree - we are just starting to recover from the problems caused by Forrsell's last loan - having a player of no long term use to us instead of buying or developing players with a Palace future.

Borrowing Forrsell would probably be the last straw for Tommy Black , having made his way into the team, dropping down the order again so that we can help Chelsea through an injury problem. Then with TB gone Forrsell is off back to Chelsea, leaving us in a hole again.

Elephant with mouse gyp
17-01-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by El Aguila
Not so sure. Marvellous technique but slightly lacking in goal and threat of goal.

I could have sworn you lived in Spain. What happened to 'ole' football?

Anyway, his goal and assist records stand up, if you insist on dragging the debate down.

Gooders
18-01-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire

Where are ShefU getting all this money ? Windass, Forsell .... isn't there a limit to the number of loan players ?

Seems to me that they are playing a poor mans version of "shitt or bust" this season - a bit like Pompey but in the Yorkshire style.

Dartford Lad
29-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Chelsea striker Mikael Forssell is set to join German Bundesliga side Borussia Monchengladbach on a four-month loan deal.

La Liga outfit Celta Vigo were also keen on signing the Finland star, who made a goalscoring return to action on Tuesday for Chelsea's reserves after a long stint on the sidelines through injury.

"I chose Monchengladbach from many candidates that wanted me," Forssell was quoted as saying by the Finnish news agency STT. "I know the team well and value its outstanding traditions.

"We have agreed on things with [Chelsea] manager Claudio Ranieri. After the loan period I will move back to Chelsea."

The move will depend on the 21-year-old passing a medical. Forssell is making steady progress after summer knee injury but Monchengladbach will want the player to prove his fitness before completing the deal.

LLCOOLSTEVE
29-01-2003, 03:48 PM

Chairman Simon Jordan said: "I've got six strikers already and I'm sure they would say 'gaffer why are you bringing in another striker when there are six of us here already?' Where would I play him?"

Where would 'I' play him???!

:rolleyes:

winston the dog
29-01-2003, 03:52 PM
i think if the funds were available we would be up for him. i think if you look at our six strikers adebola and akinbiyi are fighting for one of them, freedman, aj, and i assume black would be going for the other (cant think of a sixth) but i would argue that forsell is better than aj, and on a par with black and freedman (despite his hero status) so i would still be up for it.

Panther
29-01-2003, 04:06 PM
The sixth was probably Williams?

jamesy
31-01-2003, 11:16 PM
Did anyone else see that Mikael went on loan to Borussia M'Gladbach??
Thought this was an interesting piece of news!!

Sir.S.C Remembered
02-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Yes it was mmentioned on a few threads including my Varga one

Oz_da_Eagle
02-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Micky should have been on the Crisps Bowl pitch yesterday. :(

With Micky in the team we'd be sitting pretty on equal 6th. He would have slotted at least one into the back of the net, I'm sure.

ozeagle
02-02-2003, 06:11 PM
wonder what wages he's on ?
don't think we could afford him.
were you there yesterday oz_da ?
:D

Oz_da_Eagle
02-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Had to work Saturday morning :(

Am quitting tomorrow though!!! Had enough :)

With Micky in the squad I would think a playoff spot would be guaranteed therefore ,at worst, paying his wages with the extra games. A risk SJ should have taken IMO.

muswell eagle
07-02-2003, 09:37 AM
aki says he wnts to go abroad

Beanie
07-02-2003, 10:41 AM
With Micky in the squad I would think a playoff spot would be guaranteed therefore ,at worst, paying his wages with the extra games. A risk SJ should have taken IMO.

Forssell is unfit and lacking match practice - that is why Chelsea are looking to get some suckers to get him fit for them, so that they get the benefit. Bear in mind how long it took him to make any impact last time we had him. A partially fit Forrsell (or any loan player) would simply hamper the development of a Palace player who would be kept out of the side and return to Chelsea when he starts looking good again either to help them out or to be sold on. Not his fault - it's the way the loan system works. We did it to Grimsby with Kabba and are doing it to Colchester with Williams, no point being on the receiving end as well.

Any way, he's at Moenchengladbach now, so debate over.

El Aguila
04-03-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by muswell eagle
aki says he wnts to go abroad
He already is abroad.

Riccardo
30-04-2003, 11:30 AM
Finn forward Mikael Forssell may ask for his on-loan move to Borussia Moenchengladbach to be made permanent if he doesn't feature more in Chelsea's plans next season.

The striker is due to return to Stamford Bridge at the end of the season, but is considering his future at the club after making just six Premiership starts in five years for the Blues.

"The real truth is he wants to play," said Forssell's agent Vincenzo Morabito. "We are going to give Chelsea a chance to assure us Mikael has a future at the club. If they do that he will stay, otherwise he will go.

"Mikael wants to stay at Chelsea but has to be a first-team player. If this is possible then fine, if not there are plenty of other clubs interested."

Forssell, 22, moved to Germany in a bid to help his recovery from a knee injury.

"The response from the Gladbach fans has been amazing," Morabito added in the wake of Forssell's three goals in eight games for the Bundesliga club.

"Mikael is playing well and they've taken to him - he just wants to play games. Chelsea have the ball, it's up to them."

adrenalin john
30-04-2003, 11:46 AM
Forsell has amazing individual talent, but football is a team game and I never rated his ability to be a team player. I remember going to QPR when we were in administration and the whole team worked their nuts off and none more so than ashley Cole (also on loan from a big club) with the exception of forsell who walked around the pitch like he thought he was too important for it all.
I for one have had enough of big time charlies on 8 grand a week who are injured more often than not.

Riccardo
30-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by adrenalin john
Forsell has amazing individual talent, but football is a team game and I never rated his ability to be a team player. I remember going to QPR when we were in administration and the whole team worked their nuts off and none more so than ashley Cole (also on loan from a big club) with the exception of forsell who walked around the pitch like he thought he was too important for it all.
I for one have had enough of big time charlies on 8 grand a week who are injured more often than not.

Sorry John, completely disagree with you there. I think he worked as hard as anyone else on the pitch during administration.

I do concur about the injuries though, he's a bit of a Jesper on that front.

Gooders
30-04-2003, 12:03 PM
He's also way way too expensive for us to be even remotely thinking about.

Surely if Chelsea don't pick him, he will go to a decent club in Europe somewhere?

I look forward to this thread being resurrected in 30 months time so that JamieBCPFC can say "completely and utterly rong"(sic) again.

Benzhiyi
30-04-2003, 12:09 PM
I'd rather sign a raw, up and coming forward from division two on low wages than pay Forssell lots of money to be our next inconsistent twinkle-toes attacking player. With Doog, Black, Gray, etc we have enough of those already.

Sir.S.C Remembered
30-04-2003, 12:25 PM
I see your point BenZhiyi but Forssell is different class once fit!

CallMeBernard
30-04-2003, 12:40 PM
I don't remember Forsell being the goal poacher we need now; we have enough forwards who can run, dribble, pass, hold the ball up etc etc but we don't have one who can put the ball in the back of the damned net on a regular basis.
Forsell is a great player but not the type we need right now.

Geezer
30-04-2003, 12:45 PM
He's also way way too expensive for us to be even remotely thinking about.

Surely if Chelsea don't pick him, he will go to a decent club in Europe somewhere?

I look forward to this thread being resurrected in 30 months time so that JamieBCPFC can say "completely and utterly rong"(sic) again.

Zonin2000 had discovered a taste for that too.

ROUTLEDGE02
30-04-2003, 12:54 PM
get rid off gray and akinbadbuy and buy forsell.dont loan whelan again and let williams out on loan again(1 for the future).adebolaand aj = super subs

GreatGonzo
30-04-2003, 01:01 PM
If Williams is not ready to play 1st division football next year then it is unlikely he will evr be as good as so many of us reckon he can be. Fact is we have to pay him to find out! Akinbiyi is a GOOD player, he has a very good record at this level and next season hopefully he will get a pre-season under his belt come to the first game match fit and then he WILL score goals for us! Gray can go cos he is not willing to try for us and if we could get Forsell then i would but we would have to play him up front with Dougie AND either Gareth or Ade. Then we might score some goals regularly. I do not know what Chelsea would want in term of a fee but matching the wages he would be offered by other European clubs would be a BIG gamble for SJ. We would have the fact that he enjoyed his time with us and he wouldn't have to move gong for us but that is about it!

Oz_da_Eagle
30-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Some of the posts on here are beyond belief. Our major problem this year, apart from TF, has been an inability to stick the ball in the back of the net. This is one thing Micky can do 100X better than any player we've got at the moment.

If SJ has the cash, it's time we bought someone with a bit of class. We've bought too many 'workman-like' players who are going to keep us free of relegation but are never going to get us promoted.

I never saw Micky give anything other than 100% in the red and blue.

And I've never seen a "non-team player" completely distraught at missing a penalty in a penalty shoot-out then completely ecstatic when we eventually won the shoot-out (ie. Tranmere Worthington Cup).

Preferring any of the crop of div 2 strikers to Forssell is nothing short of laughable.

Beanie
01-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Come on - reality check please.

IF Chelsea sell Forrsell it will be to a continental side who can give him European football, or at least a realistic prospect of it. I'd guess Holland, Belgium or more likely Germany, outside chances France, Scandinevia or back home in Finland.

Mid-table English Division 1 on a long term basis? Watch out for the aerial bacon.

Panther
01-05-2003, 09:47 AM
I never saw Micky give anything other than 100% in the red and blue.

Funny how we see things differently, I don't remember ever seeing him give 100% for us. (Just a comment, I'm not trying to start an argument!) Having said that, I agree he's better than what passes for strikers at Palace right now - apart maybe from Freedman when he's in the mood, which is not often enough. I can't imagine he'd see any future back at Selhurst though.

Jordan's Jacket
02-05-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Panther
Funny how we see things differently, I don't remember ever seeing him give 100% for us. (Just a comment, I'm not trying to start an argument!) Having said that, I agree he's better than what passes for strikers at Palace right now - apart maybe from Freedman when he's in the mood, which is not often enough. I can't imagine he'd see any future back at Selhurst though.

Forssell was always fully committed to the cause. He has a sort of languid way about him which is often misinterpreted as laziness.

I find your comparison with Dougie a little amusing. Forssell is head and shoulders above Freedman and every other player at Palace, which is why he will end up in big"ish* European side

Gooders
02-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Disagree.

Forssell has it all to prove yet.

I can clearly recall our collective frustration when he was with us that he didn't ever seem to know when to release the ball - always tried to beat the next man rather than spotting a team-mate in a better position.

Precisely what most of us feel and say about Tommy, in fact.

I think Forssell could be a great player (and I suspect he's too good and too expensive for the likes of us) but he hasn't proven anything yet - if he had, he'd be a regular for Chelsea rather than being farmed out on loan whilst Hasselbaink has a 'mare of a season.

Panther
02-05-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Jordan's Jacket
Forssell was always fully committed to the cause. He has a sort of languid way about him which is often misinterpreted as laziness.

I find your comparison with Dougie a little amusing. Forssell is head and shoulders above Freedman and every other player at Palace, which is why he will end up in big"ish* European side

As I said, we all see things differently.

Forssell may well prove to be head and shoulders above Freedman, of whom I'm not a particular fan incidentally, but he's still to prove it in our league. I've never doubted Forssell's skill but we'll have to agree to differ about the commitment (let's not continue the argument).

Latvian
02-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Disagree.

Forssell has it all to prove yet.

I can clearly recall our collective frustration when he was with us that he didn't ever seem to know when to release the ball - always tried to beat the next man rather than spotting a team-mate in a better position.

Precisely what most of us feel and say about Tommy, in fact.

I think Forssell could be a great player (and I suspect he's too good and too expensive for the likes of us) but he hasn't proven anything yet - if he had, he'd be a regular for Chelsea rather than being farmed out on loan whilst Hasselbaink has a 'mare of a season.

Well said that man.

It would drive me mad when people would go on about him, he'd skin people for fun then take the selfish option and spoon some daisy cutter wide of goal!