http://www.soccerbase.com/footballlive/?MIval=players_details&playerid=8965

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Excellent news, a good player.

g23
29-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Skin Up
http://www.soccerbase.com/footballlive/?MIval=players_details&playerid=8965

Very informative - fascinating to learn that Shaun Derry's real name is in fact 'Shaun Derry'.

Jordan's Jacket
29-07-2002, 06:25 PM
Permission not to get over-excited.

917L
29-07-2002, 06:25 PM
Joins who?

If you mean us I think it sounds like a good signing, otherwise.....

trufan
29-07-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by 917L
Joins who?

Duh! :D

Noodlezz
29-07-2002, 06:27 PM
Didn't we try and sign him earlier in the season. Might be the solid player in the middle that we need

Fountainhead
29-07-2002, 06:28 PM
Missed almost all of last season with recurring groin and hamstring injuries. Not the creative midfielder we need I fear.

917L
29-07-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by trufan

Duh! :D

How could it be us?

recent quotes from well known BBSrs have stated 'we wont be signing anyone'

Oh well perhaps we're not as f*cked as certian people would like to believe :rolleyes:

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Jordan's Jacket
Permission not to get over-excited.

Dont you just love such optimism.

Skin Up
29-07-2002, 06:30 PM
Anyone who knows more about him, what d'ya reckon, squad player or regular first teamer?

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 06:33 PM
I imagine he will battle with Aki Riihilahti for the combative mdifield position, alongside Mullins who will be asked to play a more advanced role.

Cyneagle
29-07-2002, 06:36 PM
There was speculation that we interested in signing him just before we played Portmouth at home, so I kept an eye on him. Didn't impress me to much.

Dave
29-07-2002, 06:38 PM
Palace sign up former captain
By Neil Monnery
13:12, July 29, 2002

Shaun Derry will be lining up for Crystal Palace next season after agreeing a 400k move to the Shelhurst Park outfit.

Crystal Palace have signed Shaun Derry for 400k from Division One rivals Portsmouth. The tough tackling midfield hard man had been unhappy since Graham Rix was dismissed last season, and his departure always looked like it was going to occur this summer.

Trevor Francis has picked him up for a bargain fee, and should Derry be able to steer clear of injuries, he’ll be a great pick up for the London based outfit.

Derry played over 50 times for Pompey since his 600k move from Sheffield United back in 2000. He was team captain last season when he returned from injury, but he feels that his future lies away from Fratton Park.

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 06:40 PM
http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19215&highlight=shaun

The previous thread about Derry...

some quotes...

Just spoke to a Pompey mate of mine and he was gutted that Palace had 'Apparantly' made an offer.
Says he is a bloddy good player.

work mate today who follows pompey says derry is a hard tackling midfielder and most of his pompey mates would hate to see him go as he is one of their better players.thinks he is a steel a 750,000 though!!!

Btw, Teamtalk reported this in February and got the fee correct :)

Jordan's Jacket
29-07-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa

Dont you just love such optimism.

It doesn't pay to be optimistic, particularly in football. I prefer a cynical realist approach, it allows me to pleasantly surprised or at worst a little underwhelmed. Rose-tinted specs went out with the Stock Market crash of 2002!!!

NRM the 2nd
29-07-2002, 06:45 PM
Yeah glad we sold morrison to raise funds to buy players like him, all aboard the intergalatic space shuttle CPFC we're going places now!!!

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 06:55 PM
We had no money to splash out on new players with, so instead of achieving the same mediocrity as we did last season, perhaps we have taken a bit of a gamble and sold off a high value asset to finance some smaller assets. Their sum of these parts may be greater than that of Morrison.

Selhurst Dick
29-07-2002, 06:55 PM
Thats £600,000 of the Clinton money spent:hmph:

917L
29-07-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Selhurst Dick
Thats £600,000 of the Clinton money spent:hmph:

So you're suggesting we've spent it before the Morrison deals even closed? I dont think so do you?

Gazza2
29-07-2002, 07:01 PM
Great; another non-goalscoring midfield player. Just what we need!

Will he not be too similar to Aki for the 2 of them to play central midfield together? Where is the creative player we lack?

Fat Andy
29-07-2002, 07:03 PM
It's funny how Palace fans expectations on buys have changed over the years. We've never been a big spending club,and to be honest the majority of our big buys have been failures. When we went up in 93/94 our midfield was Southgate,Bowry,Osborn and Damien Matthew!! We'd all like to splash out 2 million on a midfielder but why do people get so down about spending just £400,000 on a player?

Teams that have gone up in the past that are similar to us such as Bolton,Ipswich,West Brom and even Charlton haven't spent millions and millions. I've heard that Derry is a decent player so lets give him a chance at least.

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Gazza2
Great; another non-goalscoring midfield player. Just what we need!

Will he not be too similar to Aki for the 2 of them to play central midfield together? Where is the creative player we lack?

Squad depth.

We now seem to have cover on every position on the park now,

Clarke/Kolinko
Fleming/Smith
Popovic/Berhalter
Symons/Austin
Granville/Frampton
Butterfield/Black
Mullins/Thomson
Derry/Riihilahti
Gray/Rubins
Freedman/Kabba
Akinbiyi/Johnson

Gazza2
I have no problem with signing player for low or no fees. Just I cannot see the point of signing players 4 postiions we r alrady strong in. In this case the hard running, hard tackling central midfield region - where we have Aki who does that job OK.

We all know we need a creative central midfiled player & a centre-back.

Stellavista
I imagine he will battle with Aki Riihilahti for the combative mdifield position, alongside Mullins who will be asked to play a more advanced role.

If this is true - that Palace have thrown away a sizable chunk of money from the Morrison deal - then I'm really p*ssed off.
Let's see, we tell a combative midfielder that there is no place for him, and then buy a slightly younger model to do the same kind of job, when we are crying out for a creative midfielder!

And, no, Mullins is not the man for the job. My blind Gecko has better positional sense, and he is only just shaded as worst passer of the ball at Palace by that tw*t Austin.

Ar*eholes.......

NRM the 2nd
29-07-2002, 07:06 PM
Somethings wrong here. Half an hour ago no one even knew he'd been linked with the club and now it seems like he's signed and it's a done and dusted deal. Now this just doesn't happen at Palace. Wheres the weeks of tabloid speculation, wheres the drawn out negotiation period and your not telling me the deal was done and then he actually PASSED the medical, no i'm dreaming.

By the way who signed him if our chairman is on holiday???

Daddy Long
29-07-2002, 07:08 PM
I can't see the sense in this signing. We had Jolly..we let him go and pick up a more injury prone version. And an average one at that. Unreal.

Midfield of Aki and Derry...I bet Mullins is sold soon

Dave
29-07-2002, 07:11 PM
£10 says Aki will be gone before 4.45pm today

budgie
29-07-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Stellavista

Let's see, we tell a combative midfielder that there is no place for him, and then buy a slightly younger model to do the same kind of job, when we are crying out for a creative midfielder!

Ar*eholes.......

True we do need a creative midfielder, but I'm afraid Rodgers time was up, as it has been for quite a while. Sure he was willing but thats about it, Palace are not a charity case, and it was time up for Jolly.

Daddy Long
29-07-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Dave

Interesting........

I wonder........

Have you heard anything?

Dave
29-07-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long

Interesting........

I wonder........

Have you heard anything?

Not a thing - pure guesswork -

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 07:14 PM

Ill take that bet as long as the winner donates the winnings to the Kids Box.

Deal?

g23
29-07-2002, 07:15 PM

My heart just stopped.

Northern Carl
29-07-2002, 07:16 PM

Talking money !! Amazing ! You get everything on this web site !

bnmth eagle
29-07-2002, 07:22 PM
mullins will prob be on his way to villa as they have just agreed a deal with middlesbourgh for boetang

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 07:28 PM
I doubt it, Mullins is no where near good enough for the Premiership.

Riccardo
29-07-2002, 07:29 PM

I hope not or else....or else......I've already bought my season ticket, so not re-newing it isn't an option.

I don't care how good Derry is, Aki should not be let go. :veryangry

budgie
29-07-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Riccardo

I hope not or else....or else......I've already bought my season ticket, so not re-newing it isn't an option.

I don't care how good Derry is, Aki should not be let go. :veryangry

I wouldn't worry too much Riccardo, Aki will not be going anywhere, we currently have a very small 1st team squad, and are simply bringing it up to strength.

Players like Aki wouldn't get too high a transfer fee, and his wages wouldn't be too high, its people like Mullins and Freedman who might disapear.

James
29-07-2002, 07:50 PM
Shouldn't we resurrect the 'Mass Clearout at Palace" thread?

AJ
29-07-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by NRM the 2nd
Somethings wrong here. Half an hour ago no one even knew he'd been linked with the club and now it seems like he's signed and it's a done and dusted deal. Now this just doesn't happen at Palace. Wheres the weeks of tabloid speculation, wheres the drawn out negotiation period and your not telling me the deal was done and then he actually PASSED the medical, no i'm dreaming.

By the way who signed him if our chairman is on holiday???

Didn't Kember mention we would be signing 2 players? Well, Kember was probably not somber, so, he may not have got all the facts correct.:eek:

AJ
29-07-2002, 07:55 PM
BTW: Has the club confirmed this signing?

Steve C
29-07-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by James

No we should not!!!.:grrr:

CPFC_R_GREAT
29-07-2002, 07:59 PM
Ah well i'm happy anyway!

SKATE
29-07-2002, 08:02 PM
For god's sake lets see how he performs for us first. We all know players who can shine in a different team (eg Berhalter). why pre-judge when we really don't know what contribution he can make to palace?

Dobbo
29-07-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Cyneagle
There was speculation that we interested in signing him just before we played Portmouth at home, so I kept an eye on him. Didn't impress me to much.
So did I. Ran around trying to kick people and never played a constructive ball all evening. Sounds just like a Francis sort of player (cf Martin O'Connor) :veryangry

Fountainhead
29-07-2002, 08:10 PM
If he's been bought to replace anyone I hope it's Aki rather than Mullins. But if the club really do need to bring money in Mullins would fetch far more than Aki. Funny feeling James is about to win his bet.

BUNGLE
29-07-2002, 08:15 PM
Great signing, just the sort of palyer who will win our midfield battles.

Maidstoned Eagle
29-07-2002, 08:17 PM
A good signing, its about time "do no wrong" Rihillatti had some competition for his place.

BUNGLE
29-07-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle
A good signing, its about time "do no wrong" Rihillatti had some competition for his place.

Exactly, the man hasn't had a good game this side of Christmas.

Northern Carl
29-07-2002, 08:22 PM
Has he definately signed, and not, as I suspect, simply gone to Ireland on holiday.

Off to Londonderry ?

Taxi !

g23
29-07-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
Exactly, the man hasn't had a good game this side of Christmas.

:hmph: Or another way to put this might be that ever since Bruce left Aki has been asked to play central midfield essentially on his own, usually covering an area in which two or even three opposition midfielders are operating. I don't know much about Shaun Derry, but hopefully his signing will enable us to begin constructing the midfield we've been lacking ever since I started coming to Palace. And that midfield should include Riihilahti.

Dave
29-07-2002, 08:25 PM
http://www.cpfc.org/forums/attachment.php?postid=243954

BUNGLE
29-07-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by g23

:hmph: Or another way to put this might be that ever since Bruce left Aki has been asked to play central midfield essentially on his own, usually covering an area in which two or even three opposition midfielders are operating.

Can't really blame Francis for this, he has always played with at least 4 in midfield, it's the players who ain't doing there job if what you say is true

I don't know much about Shaun Derry, but hopefully his signing will enable us to begin constructing the midfield we've been lacking ever since I started coming to Palace. And that midfield should include Riihilahti.

I agree that Aki at his best should be playing, he just hasn't been at his best for a while.

Gooders
29-07-2002, 08:41 PM

You will Oscar, you will. ;)

Beanie
29-07-2002, 08:43 PM

I would have thought Steve Thomson is the "surplus" back up now. But surely Derry is the replacemnet for Jolly isn't he?

Beanie
29-07-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by SKATE
why pre-judge when we really don't know what contribution he can make to palace?

Tradition!! Get the knocks in first it's always been the way for some hasn't it:rolleyes:

cpfcben
29-07-2002, 08:46 PM
my friend who is a pompey fan says he is was there best player last season, the only problem with him is that he is injury prone

lees eagles
29-07-2002, 08:48 PM
What the hell is going on. I thought that I had logged onto the spurs BBS. I have read negative post after negative post about AJ and his poor goals per game ratio and that we have signed nobody during the close season. Now that we have gone out and spent money (which some people took great delight in telling us all was beyond the club and that anyone who thought that any of the Morrison money would be spent on new players was living in a fantasy world) its still all wrong. The players we have signed may not be everyones choice but they surely deserve the chance to prove themselves before they are slated and we are told that they are not good enough. We are palace supporters and they are palace players who have so far done nothing other than sign for us, so support them!!!!!!

Maidstoned Eagle
29-07-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by lees eagles
What the hell is going on. I thought that I had logged onto the spurs BBS. I have read negative post after negative post about AJ and his poor goals per game ratio and that we have signed nobody during the close season. Now that we have gone out and spent money (which some people took great delight in telling us all was beyond the club and that anyone who thought that any of the Morrison money would be spent on new players was living in a fantasy world) its still all wrong. The players we have signed may not be everyones choice but they surely deserve the chance to prove themselves before they are slated and we are told that they are not good enough. We are palace supporters and they are palace players who have so far done nothing other than sign for us, so support them!!!!!!

Spot on! :p

lees eagle, you are obviously a man of great intellect and judgement. I suggest you leave this BBS immediately lest these qualities are sapped from you via your keyboard and the mind meld of the B Block Brains Trust.

Selhurst Eagle
29-07-2002, 09:35 PM
It looks like Palace could be signing Shaun Derry from Pompey. I remember him doing very well at Sheffield United, but he's been injury prone all season for Pompey and missed half the season!

Do we need someone who might be on the sidelines most of next season? :eek:

Anyway, if he signs... I'd like to be the first here to say "A big Welcome to Mr. Derry! and good luck for a successful and (hopefully) injury free season!"

screamingalice
29-07-2002, 09:37 PM
Just to pick up a few points made here.

The Chairman is not on holiday, wes seen at Selhurst this morning.

Why do people assume because we signed Derry, Aki is on his way or out of the team? Perhaps T.F. will play them both, which will allow Mullins to be more creative, released from Ball winning duties, his creative side may flourish? I remember two famous ex Palace players who blossomed after a change or role/position. Cliff Jackson and Paul Hinslewood. Poor old Hayden has always been in a side struggling for results, or to field a strong team. If T.F. can build a solid midfiels around him he may just save us a few million.

Nice to see James full of positive comments as the season approaches!

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 09:41 PM
Maidstoned, it feels like there are very few of us left who actually see that Palace havent done that badly here and that we should get behind the team.

Maidstoned Eagle
29-07-2002, 09:46 PM

Its 17:54 and I claim my £10!

g23
29-07-2002, 09:48 PM
Its 17:54 and I claim my £10!

Good point: I must re-start (and 'unbreak') my heart.

James
29-07-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by screamingalice
Nice to see James full of positive comments as the season approaches!

Well, to be frank, I just can't wait for this Season to begin.

I have no idea at all whether we will be dreadful, or brilliant. It's going to be fun finding out. It's often the players from whom you expect the least who shine.

... and if it all goes tits up, then I shall enjoy winding up the eternal optimists on the BBS.

James

PS. I do fear that there may be a few more familiar faces leaving the Club before the Season starts.

Justy C
29-07-2002, 10:08 PM
Pompey say that Derry is in talks with us but seems like there is a way to go yet.

http://www.pompeyfc.co.uk/today/view/breaking_news_detail/0,,10396~246596,00.html

James - are you prepared to say who the 'familiar faces' are that may be leaving before the start of the season?

kolinkins
29-07-2002, 10:21 PM

Well, to be frank, I just can't wait for this Season to begin.

I have no idea at all whether we will be dreadful, or brilliant. It's going to be fun finding out. It's often the players from whom you expect the least who shine.

... and if it all goes tits up, then I shall enjoy winding up the eternal optimists on the BBS.

James

good post, i totally agree. by the way, TF had a horrible habit of playing thomson and aki in the middle together - maybe derry is being bought to replace steve 'i cant pass forwards and even though i am 24 people harp on about my potential' thomson.

WorthingEagle
29-07-2002, 10:37 PM

Spot on! :p

lees eagle, you are obviously a man of great intellect and judgement. I suggest you leave this BBS immediately lest these qualities are sapped from you via your keyboard and the mind meld of the B Block Brains Trust.

enough of the "Block B" bashing. Sure there are some muppets up near the back but don't tar us all with the same brush.

I think Shaun Derry is a solid signing at that price, I was impressed with his technique and passing when he played at Selhurst, he should be an improvement in terms of distribution over Aki & Mullins who are both incredibly inconsistent.

Will S
29-07-2002, 10:41 PM
These are mediocre signings that should ensure First Division safety
next year. They ensure the squad strength is maintained, but none of them are better than players we already have, or have let go since last season ended. Just look where they came from:

Derry - from Portsmouth
Butterfield - from Grimsby
Adebola - Not wanted by Brum
Johnson - Not wanted by Brum

These aren't players to win promotion with. Rodger is as good, if not
better than any of them. Adebola and Akinbiyi up front is an evocation
of Francis's glory years at Birmingham. You know - the ones where he won eff all.
Jordan can't seriously be expecting a promotion challenge next year, so I'd love to know his state of mind. He's not the type to settle for mediocrity. I'm sure he'd flog the club to the first best offer that was put on the table right now... shall we have a whip round ?

Jimbo ?
29-07-2002, 10:45 PM
good buy !!!!

dele next?????

derry could be just what we need!

budgie
29-07-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Will S
of Francis's glory years at Birmingham. You know - the ones where he won eff all.

Sorry Will, but Rodger is not as good a player as either Butterfield or Derry, I'm afraid too many people look at him with rose tinted glasses.

Regarding promotion, I agree I don't think they are good enough, but the squad is certainly looking better than this time last year.

BTW, I'm sure the Adebola thing is just someones imagination, linking him with Francis because of his liking for strong powerful forwards.

CPFC Pete
29-07-2002, 11:35 PM
Shaun Derry joining Palace, if it happens, could be a good signing for us.Just a little worried about his fitness record though,but if he can prove he's over these worries then i'm well pleased we've got him.:p

Will S
29-07-2002, 11:52 PM
It's an interesting test of a manager's mettle operating with limited funds. Coppell could write a best seller on the subject, his use of loan signings with us and Brentford was inspired, whilst his legacy lives on via Black and Gray. Bruce showed in the brief time he was with us an equally shrewd eye - Popovic and Kirovski for nothing, Stern John for Brum at £250,000. (I'm tempted to say Morrison for 4M, but that seems cheap - so to speak)
By comparison Francis's signings just don't capture my imagination, though Butterfield and Johnson are young enough to prove me wrong. My hunch is we're in for a season of consolidation - again.

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 11:57 PM
Francis has built a much stronger team than Bruce did.

Fleming, Granville, Symons, Butterfield, Akinbiyi and Derry add a great deal to the squad.

We are much better equipped than we were last year.

Trevor got Birmingham to the play-offs consistently, all he lacked was a bit of luck in getting them the win in the final.

Lets hope he gets that bit of luck he deserves

kolinkins
29-07-2002, 11:57 PM
It's an interesting test of a manager's mettle operating with limited funds. Coppell could write a best seller on the subject, his use of loan signings with us and Brentford was inspired, whilst his legacy lives on via Black and Gray. Bruce showed in the brief time he was with us an equally shrewd eye - Popovic and Kirovski for nothing, Stern John for Brum at £250,000. (I'm tempted to say Morrison for 4M, but that seems cheap - so to speak)
By comparison Francis's signings just don't capture my imagination, though Butterfield and Johnson are young enough to prove me wrong. My hunch is we're in for a season of consolidation - again.

fleming 100K, granville £500k, symonds £400k - all look good deals to me. as do butterfield, derry, and adebola if we get him.

freekickuk
30-07-2002, 12:28 AM
strong player who will go well at palace hits hard and has pride in the team he plays for.

Walrus
30-07-2002, 12:29 AM
We had no money to splash out on new players with, so instead of achieving the same mediocrity as we did last season, perhaps we have taken a bit of a gamble and sold off a high value asset to finance some smaller assets. Their sum of these parts may be greater than that of Morrison.

Good point Jaffa, I agree with you....hope we're right ! Sorry to see Clinton go, but life goes on.

Walrus
30-07-2002, 12:34 AM

So we sign someone, and we should be talking about a mass clearout ?

In today's market I don't think we'd realise enough value on a sale of Mullins, asuming TF & SJ actually WANT to sell him and assuming any concrete offers were actually on the table.

Hope Pete Eagle has his charity lined up for that £50 James :p

Steve in Phoenix
30-07-2002, 12:58 AM
next year. They ensure the squad strength is maintained, but none of them are better than players we already have, or have let go since last season ended. Just look where they came from:

Derry - from Portsmouth

You mean the ones where he consistantly got into the playoffs with one of the deepest squads in the division?

Lets be clear here.. we're aiming to get out of the division.. we arent able to buy Premiership quality here and now.. the players TF has been getting are more than capable of a promotion campaign. Where they come from is pretty irrelevant to their levels of talent and experience. Where did Super Matty Jansen come from? Carlisle innit.

Im happy that we're signing Derry and for a reasonable price. He's a Mullins-type player.. able to play anywhere in central and right-sided midfield/defense.. will really help the team to have a player like him instead of switching hayden around every time we have an injury. A solid signing much like Symons and Granville.

mikestock
30-07-2002, 01:02 AM
Christ. We're in the middle of a heat wave you're all supposed to be happy on all that sunshine.

from what i've seen and heard derry is a decent player. Our midfield was outbattled in most games last season so we need a bit of strength in there.

Jolly is decent 1st divison squad player but we need more than that, lets hope Derry and Butterfield strengthen thnigs up a bit.

maybe the defence might tighten up too if they start believing that every time the midfield get the ball we won't be under pressure 10 seconds later.

i'm please with the signing and the fee seems reasonable too. Another decent centre half and i'll feel happier about our strength in depth than i have for a long time.

pallet
30-07-2002, 01:19 AM
Derry sounds like a reasonable player, if I remeber him from Sheffield Utd like I think I do he was quite useful. However anyone who cannot see that TF is building a hard to beat negataive side ala Brum has got to be mad. We are going to be an unimaginative hard to beat tyipcal TF side. Yes we will make the play offs, however the reason we wont win them as Brum did'nt before is because it is a cup game. You need to take risks and be inventive, two things TF missed at coaching school.
I

Sunny Fan
30-07-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix

You mean the ones where he consistantly got into the playoffs with one of the deepest squads in the division?

Lets be clear here.. we're aiming to get out of the division.. we arent able to buy Premiership quality here and now.. the players TF has been getting are more than capable of a promotion campaign. Where they come from is pretty irrelevant to their levels of talent and experience. Where did Super Matty Jansen come from? Carlisle innit.

Im happy that we're signing Derry and for a reasonable price. He's a Mullins-type player.. able to play anywhere in central and right-sided midfield/defense.. will really help the team to have a player like him instead of switching hayden around every time we have an injury. A solid signing much like Symons and Granville.
Seconded

Will S
30-07-2002, 01:20 AM
It'll be very interesting to look back on this thread in 12 months time. Last summer we were all very down in the dumps because the best Jordan could manage as a replacement for Smith was Steve Bruce...

Steve in Phoenix
30-07-2002, 01:26 AM
It'll be very interesting to look back on this thread in 12 months time. Last summer we were all very down in the dumps because the best Jordan could manage as a replacement for Smith was Steve Bruce...

I wasnt... ;) I started a thread supporting Bruce's transfer and league record but I dont want to think about that now :.puke.:

Im still depressed about our chances. Although I think we should reach the playoffs, the continual injuries in defense and lack of attacking depth coupled with Jordan's inexperience as a chairman, make it hard to imagine a champagne year. Then again we had one under Smiffy so anything is possible!

Maidstoned Eagle
30-07-2002, 02:10 AM

Derry - from Portsmouth

Jordan can't seriously be expecting a promotion challenge next year, so I'd love to know his state of mind. He's not the type to settle for mediocrity. I'm sure he'd flog the club to the first best offer that was put on the table right now... shall we have a whip round ?

So what about;

Nigel Martyn - From Bristol Rovers
Geoff Thomas - From Crewe
Mark Bright - From Leicester
Simon Rodger - From Bognor
Marc Edworthy - From Plymouth Matt Jansen - Carlisle
Ian Wright - Greenwich Borough

Remember that the Birmingham side your slagging off, consistently competed for promotion and regularly beat us.

Benny B Block
30-07-2002, 02:19 AM
I am a great believer in looking at whether a signing has been a good one (before they have stepped on the pitch) by:
a) My own experience of watching him
b) What the selling clubs fans think of him
c) The price

Can't really remember him last year but b) and c) look healthy to me.

Or

You could just look at it negatively, criticise his every living mistake on the pitch and ruin him. Sound familiar?

biggus mickus
30-07-2002, 02:26 AM
We have put money in the bank, we have got ourselves a good midfield player, and picked up a couple of strikers. Why are people so miffed?
Its a fact of life, that players move on, whether you like it or not.
Our club, is only a few years past being gone. I think we should be happy that we are still a first division club, and can afford to move in the transfer world. Its so easy to chuck your toys out of the pram, stop sulking, he has gone.
EAGLES!!!!!!

PeterH
30-07-2002, 02:37 AM
I doubt it, Mullins is no where near good enough for the Premiership.

Im sure he will thank you for your support. I thought Mullins was back to his best last season and I reckon he could step into many Prem sides now.

Did he insult you or something, you seem to be happy to offload him.

Mullins is quality.

Stellavista
30-07-2002, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by PeterH

Mullins is quality.

Is there another Mullins playing at Selhurst that I haven't had the pleasure to witness?

Mullins is not good enough for the Premier League.
We play him as a defender, when he can't tackle. We play him in midfield, and he can't pass.
I lost count last season, the number of times that this creative genius lost the ball to the opposition in threatening positions, and put pressure on our defence, or even lost us a goal.
Can you seriously say that you have seen anything in the last few years that suggests he is about to amaze us, as he blossoms into the all singing, all dancing midfield general that we so desperately require?
No, thought not.......

Will S
30-07-2002, 02:52 AM

Remember that the Birmingham side your slagging off, consistently competed for promotion and regularly beat us.

What can I say ? There is, frankly, no end to my villainy. I kick puppies in the street and steal sweets from small children. I am, in short, the fourth horseman of the apocalypse.

The really bad stuff I leave to James though.

;)

Stellavista
30-07-2002, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by biggus mickus

We have put money in the bank......

Oh, you mean the money used to pay off Hopkin, pay Bradford the next installment of the Hopkin fee, and, very probably, the next installment of the Ade fee, plus sundry other creditors, notwithstanding the near certainty that the Birmingham fee for Clinton is also likely to be paid on the HP? :o

Jaffa
30-07-2002, 02:59 AM

Im sure he will thank you for your support. I thought Mullins was back to his best last season and I reckon he could step into many Prem sides now.

Did he insult you or something, you seem to be happy to offload him.

Mullins is quality.

Oh come on Peter, there is no way Mullins would get into any Premiership sides.

The only place where he showed any degree of competency was at sweeper, and as we know that position flatters to deceive, hence Edworthy and McGoldrick turning into Palace's answer to Matthias Sammer at the time.

sydney eagle
30-07-2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Sunny Fan

Seconded Thirded:D

biggus mickus
30-07-2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Stellavista

Oh, you mean the money used to pay off Hopkin, pay Bradford the next installment of the Hopkin fee, and, very probably, the next installment of the Ade fee, plus sundry other creditors, notwithstanding the near certainty that the Birmingham fee for Clinton is also likely to be paid on the HP? :o

Hmmmm, what a happy soul you are tonight.

TARRING EAGLE
30-07-2002, 03:06 AM
According to Pompey supporting work colleagues Shaun Derry is probably their best player and is only being shipped out because he led a delegation of 5 players who went to the chairman to complain about the sacking of Rix and the appointment of Redknapp.
Potentially Francis' best signing so far.

arussell
30-07-2002, 03:39 AM
Mullins certainly ISN'T quality - not the way he's been playing for the last year or so anyway !

Derry is a good signing BUT we are still crying out for a central creative influence in midfield. Hopefully that and another striker will be forthcoming in the near future.

Eagle
30-07-2002, 03:45 AM
I have to admit that i am one of the people who has backed Francis all the way through his time here and the further signings he is set to make this week further gives me faith in him.
I truly believe he hasnt made one bad signing since he has joined us here, even Akinbiyi as i have always said will get us goals once he's fit again and i will say this now, could end up having to be the one who replaces Clinton.
But the signings of Shaun Derry, who seems to be rated very highly and not seen a bad post about him from anyone of the Portsmouth supporters, and potentially Dele Adebola are very shrewd and sensible signings. Also with the new of maybe Martn Grainger and Michael Johnson joining us i feel we would have a very good squad with plenty of depth in it when injuries and suspensions may occur.
I dont think there is many of you out there but i myself am looking forward to the new season very much and may surprise a few in the division and i am quite optimistic for our chances this season now that Francis has had a full pre-season and bought in his own backroom staff and players he wants to work with.
I'm looking forward to the start of the rollercoaster at Preston on the 10th August.

Jaffa
30-07-2002, 03:49 AM
Agree 100% Eagle.

However, if we loose at Preston, I give it 8 minutes before the first Francis out is chanted by some cretin at the first home game.

DennisUphill
30-07-2002, 06:42 AM
This lot is p!ss!ng me off no end, like quite a few others overseas I've had no chance to watch the Palace, for me 20 years. We feel the frustration of not being able to air our own views on new and established players currently with the team. Reading this board is so phukkin' depressing, as 'Biggus' said earlier it's only a couple of years ago that CPFC was up s*it creek without a paddle and gone for all money.
Then along comes this 'Jack the Lad' and pours a fair amount of his own wedge into the club, he makes a few cock ups, but eventually decides to bring in a bloke from Brum to run his club. The bloke from Brum has to work within a restricted budget but wants players who he thinks can do the business for him. The 'Jack the Lad' flogs what is considered the teams best for 4 mill. because he may think the transfer market's gonna go tits up, and Birmingham was the sole offer.
The bloke from Brum does what he's employed to do, time will tell whether he's up to it.
In the meantime, will you lot stop phukkin' moaning and give 'em a go, Jesus Christ no wonder I cop so much sh*t from Aussies about whinging poms.
Sorry it's a bit disjointed I've only just got up.:hmph:

NZsparky
30-07-2002, 09:53 AM
That about says it for me Dennis:p
UP THE PALACE!!!!!!!!!!!

917L
30-07-2002, 10:36 AM
Can anyone confirm whether we've actually signed him?

Apart from the original press report I cant find anything from either club to confirm it!

dannyturner
30-07-2002, 10:38 AM
Do clubs who have massive financial difficulty usually do this sort of thing, that is sign players.

kiwieagle
30-07-2002, 10:49 AM
Well said Dennis, every thing i wanted to say. Especially about Poms when you read sh-- like this they are not far from the truth. I feal sorry for S.J. no matter what he does for the club he is wrong, there was no more money to spend on players none of the Morrison money was going to be spent etc. good signing i think, i wish i had James inside info.

Steve C
30-07-2002, 12:00 PM
It,s like hundreds of Vickter Meldrews have taken over the boards,non stop whinging and moaning, all I can say is, "I don,t belive it" after what we have been through, you lot are not looking forward to a new season,shame on you all.

I WISH I WAS IN A POSITION WERE I COULD BUY AND USE A SEASON TICKET.

GOD
30-07-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by pallet
[BYes we will make the play offs, however the reason we wont win them as Brum did'nt before is because it is a cup game. You need to take risks and be inventive, two things TF missed at coaching school.
I [/B]

:rolleyes: so how did they make it to the Worthingtoin Cup Final then?

wedgetail
30-07-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by GOD

:rolleyes: so how did they make it to the Worthingtoin Cup Final then?
because they missed getting Liverpool in the semifinal

rambo
30-07-2002, 01:51 PM
In the last few seasons we have missed bankruptcy by a matter of days, missed relegation by a matter of minutes, and had our manager walk out on us for a team then lower than us in the league.

Yet now people are moaning because they think Francis is only good enough to get us into the playoffs! Why cant we be pleased that all the talk of us just being a selling club, and SJ not wanting to buy anyone at all, was wrong?

Ruskin Old Boy
30-07-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Steve C
It,s like hunreds of Vickter Meldrews have taken over the boreds

:D :D :D :D :p

Excellent post:p

cpfcben
30-07-2002, 02:17 PM
delighted with the signing:p

OKnotOK
30-07-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Eagle
I have to admit that i am one of the people who has backed Francis all the way through his time here and the further signings he is set to make this week further gives me faith in him.
I truly believe he hasnt made one bad signing since he has joined us here, even Akinbiyi as i have always said will get us goals once he's fit again and i will say this now, could end up having to be the one who replaces Clinton.
But the signings of Shaun Derry, who seems to be rated very highly and not seen a bad post about him from anyone of the Portsmouth supporters, and potentially Dele Adebola are very shrewd and sensible signings. Also with the new of maybe Martn Grainger and Michael Johnson joining us i feel we would have a very good squad with plenty of depth in it when injuries and suspensions may occur.
I dont think there is many of you out there but i myself am looking forward to the new season very much and may surprise a few in the division and i am quite optimistic for our chances this season now that Francis has had a full pre-season and bought in his own backroom staff and players he wants to work with.
I'm looking forward to the start of the rollercoaster at Preston on the 10th August.

Terrific post and agree totally.

Have a look at Francis' signings and I really think most people would have to say we are a stronger side than we he joined us.

Danny Granville means we actually have a left-back.
Kit Symons looked solid and experienced when he was fit. He has been unlucky with injuries but will come good when he and Popovic are paired together
Fleming is quite simply a class act. He can pass. He has top positional sense. He is probably the best tackler at the club. And he doesn't have a tempremant to match Danny Mills or Kevin Muscat (as does Jamie Smith).
Butterfield has scored 2 goals in pre-season. Is incredibly versatile (played in every position across a back four for Grimsby and can play central or right midfield as well). He will provide competition and really strengthens the squad.
Akinbiyi is a proven first division striker. He has an almost 1 in 2 goal:game ratio at Wolves and will come good when he gets his confidence back (which will be a lot easier with Palace fans not on his back booing whenever he is on the field).

And now come Derry and maybe Adebola.
Dele Adebola had a terrific goal:game ratio at Birmingham. He is strong and he is quick. He can win the ball in the air and he will be a great addition to the squad for not much in wages and on a free.
Shaun Derry has been regularly described by Pompey fans as their best player. He is a good solid talent and will provide competition for the under-performing Aki.

I really think if you all take stock and think about it that, you will realise we are building a really solid deep squad for a possible promotion push. The only side in the entire division that has been strengthening is Wolves. The entire division will be significantly weaker than last year. We can succeed. UP THE PALACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil O'Sophical
30-07-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by TARRING EAGLE
According to Pompey supporting work colleagues Shaun Derry is probably their best player and is only being shipped out because he led a delegation of 5 players who went to the chairman to complain about the sacking of Rix and the appointment of Redknapp.
Potentially Francis' best signing so far.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall if he ever leads a delegation of 5 players to complain to SJ!!!!

Who Cares?
30-07-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by wedgetail

because they missed getting Liverpool in the semifinal

Did they get a bye until the Semis then?

David of Kent
30-07-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Who Cares?

Did they get a bye until the Semis then?

Yeah.....they only beat Spurs away, Newcastle, Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich Town (the season they were 4th in the Premier) over two legs.

Jammy b@stards :cool: :p

Lee B
30-07-2002, 03:12 PM
I got so p1ssed off reading some of the negative comments coming out of these boards yesterday that I considered not coming back. I mean, who do some of you think we should be trying to sign?

Whenever we've been in this division we have had to make do with youngsters with great potential and others who have been cast aside by 'bigger' clubs. Nothings changed, unfortunately some of our support has been spoiled by our 'time in the sun' in the Prem.

We support CPFC, not players, not managers, but the CLUB, and it's not changed that much since I was indoctrinated in 1984. I love this club for signings like the ones we've made this closed season, some of them may not be all that, others may turn out to be genius's. Either way the club will always have my support.

I can't wait for the season to start, good or bad, better or worse, and 2 games against Brighton.

Welcome Shaun (if you've signed) I hope you have a good time whilst you're here.

Stubby
30-07-2002, 03:13 PM
Has he signed? Not seen any confirmation

Jordan's Jacket
30-07-2002, 03:15 PM
I still have not seen any official confirmation that we have signed him, indeed, I may have missed it, but I have not seen any confirmations relating to any signings, that is apart from Butterfield.

Carts and horses come to mind.

Richard
30-07-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by freekickuk
strong player who will go well at palace hits hard and has pride in the team he plays for.

Yes, what did happen to Jamie Pollock ?

El Aguila
30-07-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by DennisUphill
This lot is p!ss!ng me off no end, like quite a few others overseas ......Sorry it's a bit disjointed I've only just got up.:hmph:
Cheers Dennis, top post, agree with every word.
I sometimes wonder if the problem certain people have with Simon Jordan isn't simply that he's young, flash and working-class.

pedro
30-07-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Eagle
. Also with the new of maybe Martn Grainger and Michael Johnson joining us i feel we would have a very good squad with plenty of depth in it when injuries and suspensions may occur.

What news ? This is the first time I have heard this. In fact Grainger was refusing to sign a new contract last season because he wanted to play in the Premiership. He is hardly likely to leave and join a Div 1 club now that he has finally got there.

Mateyboy
30-07-2002, 03:56 PM
If you check out Pompey's official website, it states that Derry is in talks with Palace, but no deal has yet been agreed.

Bluewater eagle
30-07-2002, 04:21 PM
if we actually buy the players being talked about i will begin to feel a lot more optimistic than i have done since francis came to the club, it looks like the club is finally strenghening the squad.
Of course my new found optimism will soon go if will sell anymore players.

Riccardo
30-07-2002, 04:42 PM
Anyone else think that the guy is so headstrong he'll only last 5 minutes with Jordan, if he does sign ?

MAX
30-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Living down on the South Coast I know a few Pompey supporters and they are all clear that Derry is a very good player.He is not just a ball winner he can spray the ball around as well.
Dare I say that Hayden Mullins is one of the more talented players in the squad and if he could settle into one position he would prove it week in week out.
Any chance we could be positive about things rather than knock every move that is made?

Lambeth Palace
30-07-2002, 05:41 PM
Quite happy with all the transfer speculation at the moment. Shaun Derry looks a useful addition to the squad. If more of the Clint money is used to strengthen the squad I will become a lot more optimistic about next season.

OKnotOK
30-07-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Lambeth Palace
Quite happy with all the transfer speculation at the moment. Shaun Derry looks a useful addition to the squad. If more of the Clint money is used to strengthen the squad I will become a lot more optimistic about next season.

I'm not sure we really need to use any of the money (other than for wages).

Adebola for a free. Loads of players available for cheap/frees.

Plus you look at our squad now and I think it will be quite strong if Johnson, Adebola, and Derry join, especially after the addition of Butterfield (and Routledge, Surey, and Antwi to the senior squad).

30-07-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Riccardo
Anyone else think that the guy is so headstrong he'll only last 5 minutes with Jordan, if he does sign ?

Not me. Are you suggesting that everyone is incapable of ever changing? Most people, even Chairman, like many players, are capable of learning from their earlier mistakes and experiences. Stuart Pearce (aka as "Psycho") was always a hot-head, but under the right kind of coach and/or manager proved what a great player he could become. Why the eternal pessimism?

30-07-2002, 06:35 PM
Agree 100% Eagle.

However, if we loose at Preston, I give it 8 minutes before the first Francis out is chanted by some cretin at the first home game.

Ignore 'em Jaffa. What most of our Fantasy Football Brigade
fail to understand is that like Rome, good football teams aren't built in a day! If they come to fruition all the prospective signings reported look capable of strengthening our first team squad.

Riccardo
30-07-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by freddykurz

Not me. Are you suggesting that everyone is incapable of ever changing? Most people, even Chairman, like many players, are capable of learning from their earlier mistakes and experiences. Stuart Pearce (aka as "Psycho") was always a hot-head, but under the right kind of coach and/or manager proved what a great player he could become. Why the eternal pessimism?

Hey,hey, hey freddy my man. Eternal pessimism ?!

Sheesh, all I said was that I think if the guy is headstrong, him and Jordan might clash !

trufan
30-07-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Mateyboy
If you check out Pompey's official website, it states that Derry is in talks with Palace, but no deal has yet been agreed.

Just seen this reported on CP-FRIS. I started this thread after details of the Derry "transfer" were filed by a reputable sports news agency - complete with quotes suggesting it was a done deal. I also saw the story apparently corroborated by another source.

Sincere apologies to all if I jumped the gun in doing so, but I had absolutely no reason to disbelieve it at the time. Personally, I really hope Shaun joins us. But in the meantime, perhaps someone with the technical know-how could "tone down" the title of this thread to avoid further confusion.

Er, thanks! :(

pedro
30-07-2002, 10:11 PM

Is that 8 mins into the game or 8 mins after getting into the ground !

lees eagles
30-07-2002, 10:34 PM
I have just watched London Tonight, and they said that Derry is expected to sign tommorow!!!:)

Also, Adebola was training with us today along with Andy Johnson.

More signings could be coming soon according to The programme.

bnmth eagle
30-07-2002, 10:56 PM
i have just read on the local ceefax that derry is having a medical and is about to sighn for..wait for it Birmingham

Louis
30-07-2002, 11:54 PM
Isn't everyone forgetting that the player we need is a central defender?

Jimbo ?
31-07-2002, 12:42 AM
a defender isnt all!!!

IMO - a striker, 2 defenders

trufan
31-07-2002, 01:10 AM
Aha! This from teletext Page 475 (you will tell me if I'm obsessing about this won't you? :) ) . . .

Palace boss Trevor Francis will make midfielder Shaun Derry his second signing in two days on Wednesday.

After landing Birmingham striker Andrew Johnson, Francis now intends to snap up the 24-year-old Portsmouth player once he completes the medical.

Francis said: "Derry is here having a thorough medical but he has agreed personal terms. The process of improving the squad is accelerating."

Clapham Grand
31-07-2002, 01:28 AM
Derry is definitely joining Birmingham - it's outrageous!! What new depths will Bruce stoop to?

NewRoadBee
31-07-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Louis
Isn't everyone forgetting that the player we need is a central defender?

Could be Powell :veryangry

Grunt
31-07-2002, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
Derry is definitely joining Birmingham - it's outrageous!! What new depths will Bruce stoop to? Can anyone confirm this - or give a source which makes it certain? That would really, really annoy me, as I thought Derry sounded like a good player for us.

Justy C
31-07-2002, 01:52 AM
I really don't know any more than anyone else on this subject but I reckon that a journo has made a mistake and has forgotten that Francis is in charge of Palace and not Brum. Francis' quote sounded confident, I think he'll be joining us.

Of course I could be wrong.

Clapham Grand
31-07-2002, 01:54 AM
It says on the wires that he's going to Birmingham. Bruce stepped in at the last minute.

Steve in Phoenix
31-07-2002, 01:54 AM
I've only ever seen Derry play in midfield but I think he's also pretty useful in defense and that he used to be a defender in the lower leagues?

If Bruce gets him.. I will attain new depths of anger I never knew about.. :veryangry

Streatham man
31-07-2002, 02:10 AM
This can't be true -- and if it is, it is clear that Bruce's main goal in life is to stick it to SJ.

Mick
31-07-2002, 02:11 AM
Teletext says Derry is joining Birmingham. Page 390.

Streatham man
31-07-2002, 02:14 AM
here's one of the press reports. if he's agreed personal terms, and it's only the medical, I can't believe Derry won't go to Palace. but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Tuesday, July 30, 2002 Derry poised to join Palace

Crystal Palace manager Trevor Francis will make Shaun Derry his second signing in two days on Wednesday.

Francis signed Birmingham striker Andrew Johnson on a four-year deal while Clinton Morrison went to St Andrews.

Francis intends to snap up 24-year-old Portsmouth midfielder Derry once he completes the medical.

Francis said: 'Derry is here having a thorough medical but he has agreed personal terms.

'The process of improving the squad is starting to accelerate.'

Derry is set to make his Palace debut against Tottenham Hotspur in Simon Rodger's testimonial on Wednesday night.

<http://www.soccernet.com/i/3/report_bottom.gif>

Mick
31-07-2002, 02:16 AM
The quote that Francis makes is exactly the same as what Bruce is supposed to have said.

Could this be a hoax and perhaps he will sign for us after all.

Streatham man
31-07-2002, 02:20 AM
It says on the wires that he's going to Birmingham. Bruce stepped in at the last minute.

Maybe this is why the Portsmouth officials made their statement about Derry not having officially joined Palace yet?

If this is true, I'm so angry right now. We lose Morrison, it looks like TF is making a decent signing in Derry (and by the way, I also think AJ will work out), and it all falls apart.

Gooders
31-07-2002, 02:40 AM
Our manager used to be theirs, theirs used to be ours.

Sounds like a journo who doesn't know his arse from his elbow to me. That'll make a change then. :rolleyes:

Eagle
31-07-2002, 02:44 AM
Dont believe the story, it sounds like a load of crap to me.

Newswires earlier in the season also run a story regarding a paace story and still named Bruce as our manager even after he had left 3 months beforehand.
Even on Portsmouth's website it says that Derry has agreed terms and the deal will be completed tomorrow once his medical is completed and he will make his debut in the match tomorrow night agasint Spurs.

The story sounds like complete rubbish to me and that Shaun Derry will tomorrow become a Crystal Palace player.

Clapham Grand
31-07-2002, 04:03 AM
Proof, if needed, with quotes:

Crystal Palace manager Trevor Francis was left devastated last night (tues) when former club Birmingham snatched Shaun Derry in a £400,000 deal from under his nose.
Derry, 24, had agreed personal terms with Francis and all that separated the completion of his move from Fratton Park was a medical.
But then Francis discovered that Steve Bruce, the man who replaced him as manager at Birmingham, had lured him to the premiership at the last minute.
Bruce said:'' Shaun is a combative sort of midfield player who can make the step up from the first division. He is only 24 and the sort of player we need at this level.''
Former Notts County and Sheffield United player Derry made only 12 appearances last season for Pompey because of long term injuries.
Derry said:'' This is a great opportunity for me to play in the premiership. I come from the Midlands and had hoped to find a club nearer home.''
Derry's days at Fratton Park were numbered when he led a deputation of players to chairman Milan Mandaric pleading to spare manager Graham Rix.
But Rix was fired days later and Derry was placed on the transfer list soon afterwards.
The fee will rise to £600,000 with appearances.

What?
31-07-2002, 04:14 AM
Proof, if needed, with quotes:

Crystal Palace manager Trevor Francis was left devastated last night (tues) when former club Birmingham snatched Shaun Derry in a £400,000 deal from under his nose.
Derry, 24, had agreed personal terms with Francis and all that separated the completion of his move from Fratton Park was a medical.
But then Francis discovered that Steve Bruce, the man who replaced him as manager at Birmingham, had lured him to the premiership at the last minute.
Bruce said:'' Shaun is a combative sort of midfield player who can make the step up from the first division. He is only 24 and the sort of player we need at this level.''
Former Notts County and Sheffield United player Derry made only 12 appearances last season for Pompey because of long term injuries.
Derry said:'' This is a great opportunity for me to play in the premiership. I come from the Midlands and had hoped to find a club nearer home.''
Derry's days at Fratton Park were numbered when he led a deputation of players to chairman Milan Mandaric pleading to spare manager Graham Rix.
But Rix was fired days later and Derry was placed on the transfer list soon afterwards.
The fee will rise to £600,000 with appearances.

Bollox! It Cant Be True!

If it is I wil loose my rag, but it is a big conspiercy as u r not giving URL's! Suckers!

What?
31-07-2002, 04:54 AM
Come on, no URL's?? I win, you lot suck with your silly jokes!

JABBA
31-07-2002, 05:17 AM
There is no way that is true.

Journos do not write like that!!!!!!!

That was s***.

What?
31-07-2002, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by JABBA
There is no way that is true.

Journos do not write like that!!!!!!!

That was s***.

Of course its fake, if not they would have given the URL, or at least quoted where the source was he copied it from, and there is no sign on Ceefax of the news.

Gooders
31-07-2002, 05:43 AM
I may be wrong - but Clapham Grand does not normally indulge in this sort of wind-up. :grrr:

What?
31-07-2002, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
I may be wrong - but Clapham Grand does not normally indulge in this sort of wind-up. :grrr:

He did this time, mark my words!

Gooders
31-07-2002, 05:52 AM
Pompey site still says he's "talking" to us. Official Brum site says nothing.

I guess we'll know in the morning.

Palace Don
31-07-2002, 05:56 AM
We have put money in the bank, we have got ourselves a good midfield player, and picked up a couple of strikers. Why are people so miffed?
Its a fact of life, that players move on, whether you like it or not.
Our club, is only a few years past being gone. I think we should be happy that we are still a first division club, and can afford to move in the transfer world. Its so easy to chuck your toys out of the pram, stop sulking, he has gone.
EAGLES!!!!!!

Exactly, look at Bradford, and where they are now to where they were two season ago.

Palace Don
31-07-2002, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by El Aguila

Cheers Dennis, top post, agree with every word.
I sometimes wonder if the problem certain people have with Simon Jordan isn't simply that he's young, flash and working-class.

...and got loads of money? Erm, well 3 out of 4 cant be bad eh? :clown:

Ruskin Old Boy
31-07-2002, 12:29 PM
From Portsmouth Online (newspaper)

"DERRY IS ON HIS WAY TO CRYSTAL PALACE

POMPEY have let talismanic former skipper Shaun Derry go.

Shaun Derry has agreed a £400,000 move to Crystal Palace.

The Pompey midfielder was put on the transfer list this summer after growing unsettled at Fratton Park.

The deal for the 24-year-old will rise to £600,000 with appearances.

Derry made more than 50 appearances for the Blues after signing from Sheffield United in March 2000 and was made skipper under Graham Rix. "

cpfcben
31-07-2002, 12:34 PM
hope he is coming to us, it would reallly take the p!$$ if went to join that w@nker br*ce

Ben H
31-07-2002, 12:39 PM
BRUCE SNATCHES DERRY FROM PALACE

Crystal Palace manager Trevor Francis was left devastated last night (tues) when former club Birmingham snatched Shaun Derry in a 400,000 deal from under his nose. Derry, 24, had agreed personal terms with Francis and all that separated the completion of his move from Fratton Park was a medical. But then Francis discovered that Steve Bruce, the man who replaced him as manager at Birmingham, had lured him to the premiership at the last minute.
Bruce said:’ Shaun is a combative sort of midfield player who can make the step up from the first division. He is only 24 and the sort of player we need at this level.’
Former Notts County and Sheffield United player Derry made only 12 appearances last season for Pompey because of long term injuries. Derry said:
‘This is a great opportunity for me to play in the premiership. I come from the Midlands and had hoped to find a club nearer home.’
Derry’s days at Fratton Park were numbered when he led a deputation of players to chairman Milan Mandaric pleading to spare manager Graham Rix. But Rix was fired days later and Derry was placed on the transfer list soon afterwards. The fee will rise to 600,000 with appearances.

:( :(

Perky
31-07-2002, 12:39 PM
but Ray Bateup has justy emailed what clapham grand has just wrote. It is not often he prints anything without good proof

What a c*** bruce is though if it is true, just sod off you elephant and stop rubbing our noses in it you t**t

Justy C
31-07-2002, 12:45 PM
This is just too much if its true.

Can Clapham Grand or Ray Bateup tell us where they've seen this report (so that we can get rid of the 'its a wind up' theory)?

James Simmo
31-07-2002, 12:45 PM
Speechless
:veryangry :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry

Lion
31-07-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
BRUCE SNATCHES DERRY FROM PALACE

Crystal Palace manager Trevor Francis was left devastated last night (tues) when former club Birmingham snatched Shaun Derry in a 400,000 deal from under his nose. Derry, 24, had agreed personal terms with Francis and all that separated the completion of his move from Fratton Park was a medical. But then Francis discovered that Steve Bruce, the man who replaced him as manager at Birmingham, had lured him to the premiership at the last minute.
Bruce said:’ Shaun is a combative sort of midfield player who can make the step up from the first division. He is only 24 and the sort of player we need at this level.’
Former Notts County and Sheffield United player Derry made only 12 appearances last season for Pompey because of long term injuries. Derry said:
‘This is a great opportunity for me to play in the premiership. I come from the Midlands and had hoped to find a club nearer home.’
Derry’s days at Fratton Park were numbered when he led a deputation of players to chairman Milan Mandaric pleading to spare manager Graham Rix. But Rix was fired days later and Derry was placed on the transfer list soon afterwards. The fee will rise to 600,000 with appearances.

:( :(

I really hope this is a sick joke.

Ruskin Old Boy
31-07-2002, 12:49 PM
Lifted from the Pompey BBS:

"Derry's going to ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Birmingham (according to Ceefax) but uses exactly the same quote from Francis at Palace from ananova:

The club now intend to snap up 24-year-old Portsmouth midfielder Derry as soon as he completes a medical.

Francis said: "Derry is here having a thorough medical but he has agreed personal terms. The process of improving the squad is starting to accelerate."

Nothing on BBC South Today

-----------------------------

Jusr realised that BBC South sports team probably havent' realised that Francis is now manager of Palace not Birmingam"

Nothing on Brum or official Pompey sites

31-07-2002, 12:50 PM
Sorry and all that Clinton but I shall now be praying every day that this slab nosed arsehole :vader: is blessed with the worst ever start by any club in the premiership with a run of 20 straight defeats and relegation staring them in the face by Christmas.
:veryangry :veryangry

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/fart.gif

31-07-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Dobbo

So did I. Ran around trying to kick people and never played a constructive ball all evening. Sounds just like a Francis sort of player (cf Martin O'Connor) :veryangry

Oh! You mean like the Martin O'Connor, signed by Steve Coppell from Bromsgrove Rovers in 1992/3 season, and who after leaving us had a successful career at Walsall, Peterborough and Birmingham where he was latterly Club captain, scoring a total of 41 goals in 287 games up to the end of the 2000-01 season? Not bad for a midfield clogger!

OKnotOK
31-07-2002, 01:04 PM
The whole Clinton thing annoyed me but I didn't feel the need to really slate Bruce cos I thought he was just trying to do the best for his team.

But this really smacks of revenge. To take our star player on one day and then to steal a player we were only waiting to pass a medical the next. As well as taking Kirovski off us. I am rapidly changing my mind about his rating on that Poll about how much I hate SB.

I simply can't fathom it. Having said all this, there is nothing on BCFC.com or on CPFC.co.uk or on BBC Sport, or on Teamtalk, or or planetfootball or on pompeyfc.co.uk (last thing there is that he is in talks with us) so maybe it isn't true.

But it will fcuking pi$$ me off if it is.

Lee B
31-07-2002, 01:06 PM
Have we got a definite answer yet? Ray's never been wrong in my experience.

Words fail me if Brum have nicked him. This is a real kick in the b0ll0cks. That's the way it feels anyway....:veryangry :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry

Polish Prancer
31-07-2002, 01:12 PM
Why should Steve Bruce not go for him at the last minute? I can't blame the player either for choosing Brum over us.
Its gutting, but maybe we should have been quiter until the deal was signed,or was the deal announced early to placate the fans over clinton's departure?

OKnotOK
31-07-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Polish Prancer
Why should Steve Bruce not go for him at the last minute? I can't blame the player either for choosing Brum over us.
Its gutting, but maybe we should have been quiter until the deal was signed,or was the deal announced early to placate the fans over clinton's departure?

No you definitely can't blame the player.

Except for the fact that he had -- according to the reports -- agreed terms and was just due to pass a medical.

Apparently this has been on the BBC West Midlands radio as well so it seems quite likely to be true.

Steve C
31-07-2002, 01:54 PM
Look on the bright side that,s 600,000 we,ve just saved.

Polish Prancer
31-07-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by OKnotOK

No you definitely can't blame the player.

Except for the fact that he had -- according to the reports -- agreed terms and was just due to pass a medical.

But Palace could have dropped their Interest at the last second like Liverpool did with Bowyer, it goes both ways.

DennisUphill
31-07-2002, 02:06 PM
I seem to remember posting many moons ago about 'parties' related to the Palace, gobbing off about proposed transfers and end up having their/our noses rubbed in it. The term 'Slow Learners' comes to mind.
Bruce has no allegiance to this club, he's doing what he's paid to do and you can't blame the player either. As much as it p!sses us all off.:sob:

pedro
31-07-2002, 02:16 PM
I would be surprised if these rumours are true. For all his faults (and there are many of them) I cannot believe that, with all his experience in football, TF would gob off about a signing before the deal was concluded. I read that personal terms had been agreed so does that mean he has signed subject to a medical or does he have the medical and then come back and sign, I am not sure. I reckon a piece of inaccurate journalism has snowballed and we are all getting paranoid.
However, if Bruce is nicking every player we are trying to buy shouldn't we set a trap ? Gazza anyone!!!

NewRoadBee
31-07-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by pedro
However, if Bruce is nicking every player we are trying to buy shouldn't we set a trap ?

Here`s one - get TF to bid for Mark McCammon (please!) :)

OKnotOK
31-07-2002, 02:22 PM
I suppose you are both right but it still fcuks me right off.

Lion
31-07-2002, 02:25 PM
Just phoned up Pompey FC and they said it's not true.

A guy called James in press told me that Derry was still at Portsmouth FC, but when I said that there were reports he was going to Brum - he said "Birmingham??" in a very suprised voice.

He then spoke to the head off press and said they knew nothing at all about Birmingham - but that he was in talks with Palace but at present is still a Pompey player.

Straight from the horses mouth.

arussell
31-07-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by NewRoadBee
Get TF to bid for Mark McCammon (please!) :)

Noooooooooo !:eek:

Powell's a possibililty though :p

Del Gland
31-07-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Lion
Just phoned up Pompey FC and they said it's not true.

A Straight from the horses mouth.

Blimey Lion..there's no chance of a career as a journalist for you!!

NewRoadBee
31-07-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by arussell

Noooooooooo !:eek:

Powell's a possibililty though :p

Paul Evans is still available on a bosman (training at Bradford) :eek:

Lion
31-07-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Del Gland

Blimey Lion..there's no chance of a career as a journalist for you!!

I know, it was always my dream but my English is crap, so now I just pretend to be one instead.

Stubby
31-07-2002, 02:35 PM
All this is doing my head in, I should be working but find myself constanly logging in the the internet for updates.
PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY !!!!:(

Vinny
31-07-2002, 02:39 PM
Derry has gone to Brum! :veryangry

JonnyF
31-07-2002, 02:43 PM
I can't see any offical news yet

BUNGLE
31-07-2002, 02:46 PM
Hope it's not true, and I don't see why Bruce would want him apart from trying to piss us off. They have already signed Savage and Cisse.

RichieG
31-07-2002, 03:07 PM
Someone's on a right old wind up here, I'm on the CP-FRIS mailing list and I haven't received anything about Bruce swooping in at the last minute.

I do hope it's a wind up.

Tor
31-07-2002, 03:13 PM
It's on holmesdale.net also now...

http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=82&story=1051

Beanie
31-07-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Stubby
All this is doing my head in, I should be working but find myself constanly logging in the the internet for updates.
PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY !!!!:(

The only thing on the official site - dated today - is that Portsmouth and Shaun Derry's advisors have agreed terms, Derry is undergoing his medical and could well play some part against Spurs this evening.

James
31-07-2002, 03:16 PM
Someone's on a right old wind up here, I'm on the CP-FRIS mailing list and I haven't received anything about Bruce swooping in at the last minute.

No, it was on CP-FRIS ... but please give Ray Bateup a break guys! Ray provides a fantastic and quick service to Palace fans, but he isn't a full time journalist. Occasionally he will get things wrong. It is inevitable when you print rumour and speculation. What should he do? Wait until rumours have been confirmed on the Official Site? If he did that, I suspect that many of us would unsubscribe immediately.

Ray was absolutely right to print this report this morning, even though it may turn out to be bullshit as some have suggested

OKnotOK
31-07-2002, 03:22 PM
Totally agree James

Ray provides a free service that loads of us make use of. And he has only forwarded on a story he was sent himself. If it proves to be a wind-up then at least it has given us another talking point!

Who Cares?
31-07-2002, 03:23 PM
So all this rumour is caused by a report from "MandY News Agency Portsmouth"? I wonder if it actually exists. More and more like some elaborate hoax. Ceefax still saying he is coming to Palace, no other credible news agencies appear to have this story.

Lion
Originally posted by Vinny
Derry has gone to Brum! :veryangry

That's funny, because after phoning Portsmouth and Birminham, they both say otherwise.

The latest news is that he will have a medical, and hopefully be revealed today or tomorow.

El Aguila
Well, I hope so, James, but Ray's service is the most accurate I've come across and I treat his mails as gospel. If it wasn't true before Ray sent it out it becomes true when he writes it. I wonder if Steve Bruce is on the CP-Fris mailing list.

HappyLarry
31-07-2002, 03:25 PM
http://www.cpfc.co.uk/today/view/breaking_news_detail/0,,10323~247516,00.html

Either no one has told Palace or someone is on a wind-up. Wouldn't mind seeing his signing confirmed though - sooner rather than later!

Lion
Originally posted by Who Cares?
So all this rumour is caused by a report from "MandY News Agency Portsmouth"? I wonder if it actually exists

Google doesn't find anything, not does the Yellow Pages.

Phil O'Sophical
The official Palace web site is quoting TF this morning saying he hopes to complete the signing today.

East-End Eagle
31-07-2002, 03:26 PM
To be fair James , no one has really had a go at Ray. I think we all appreciate what he does with Cp-Fris, and yes he was right to publish this, just as he does all news articles relating to Palace, specualtion or not.

Lets just hope this one turns out to be false.

Will S
31-07-2002, 03:35 PM
Every bone in my body says this is a wind up.. but a very well constructed one.

Raoul Duke
31-07-2002, 03:42 PM
Still nothing on the brum official site.

www.bcfc.com

www.cpfc.co.uk are saying that the deal is expected to be finalised today.

Benzhiyi
31-07-2002, 03:42 PM

i f'in hope so!!!!! :grrr:

James
31-07-2002, 03:43 PM

I agree with my multi-chinned friend.

The real question is why anyone should attempt this sort of wind-up? What's the point?

Unless it was an attempt to get us all to slam the Club, and Bruce, only to find that Palace had managed to triumph and land Mr Derry - who we all now assume is the catch of the Season.

Anyway, I am looking forward to reading about Derry's signing for Palace later this afternoon.

Phil O'Sophical
31-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Another positive post on icSouthLondon.co.uk just now:

After finally completing the transfer of Andrew Johnson from Birmingham City, Francis has turned his attentions to Portsmouth midfielder Shaun Derry.

The 24-year-old has already agreed personal terms and will have a medical today.

Francis said: “The process of improving the squad is starting to accelerate.”

El Aguila
31-07-2002, 03:55 PM

The real question is why anyone should attempt this sort of wind-up? What's the point?

Unless it was an attempt to get us all to slam the Club, and Bruce, only to find that Palace had managed to triumph and land Mr Derry - who we all now assume is the catch of the Season.

Anyway, I am looking forward to reading about Derry's signing for Palace later this afternoon.
That devious devil Simon Jordan! James, you surpass yourself.

nookiebear
31-07-2002, 03:56 PM
It's not on any website or newswire, so I'm starting to think it's a wind-up.

Can't see why bruce would be interested in him after buying Savage.

Swerve
31-07-2002, 04:06 PM
If it is a wind-up it's quite a good one! It's got everyone thinking our season is collapsing because we may not get a player that no-one was that bothered about anyway.

budgie
31-07-2002, 04:09 PM

My suspision would be that it is a Birmingham fan who has been looking at the site trying to find news of the Morrison saga, and seeing all the Palace fans at each others necks, and realising how easy it would be to wind us up knowing we'd believe anthing about the anti-christ Bruce.

Looks like it worked pretty well too, who ever it was congratulations, but a bit late for April fool.

Eagle Kneevil
31-07-2002, 04:23 PM
Ah, sod it, we're all excited about the new season again.

nookiebear
31-07-2002, 04:38 PM
From icBirmingham.co.uk

Blues target mystery man
Jul 31 2002

By Colin Tattum, Evening Mail
A mystery sixth player has been added to Steve Bruce's transfer hit-list.

American international Jovan Kirovski is widely expected to be the next addition to the Blues squad following completion of Clinton Morrison's transfer.

The Blues boss was thought to be happy to wind up his summer spree after Kirovski's signing but it has emerged he is now on the trail of a quality performer who, according to sources, became available unexpectedly for a "bargain".

Rumours abound that another Palace star, Hayden Mullins, could be the man. "I'm delighted with the players I've got and I'm being a little greedy asking for more," said Bruce.

"Hopefully there may be two others to come but I'm not putting any deadlines or anything like that on what I would like to do."

Clinton Morrison is set to make his debut as a substitute in tonight's friendly at Tranmere Rovers (7.45pm) and Aliou Cisse will make his first appearance in a Blues shirt at Prenton Park.

Tommy Mooney and Darren Carter have been added to the squad but Curtis Woodhouse (ankle) and Steve Vickers (knee) remain unavailable.

Robbie Savage has a slight thigh strain which may limit his involvement.

Bruce is keen to assimilate Carter into the thick of things after his involvement in the UEFA under-19 Champion-ship finals in Norway last week.

The play-off penalty hero made his only start - and scored the first goal - in England's last match, a 3-2 defeat by Ireland.

Even though England finished third in their group it was enough to qualify for FIFA's World Championship in the UAE next year.

"It's a bit of a double-edged sword," said Bruce. "It's good to have Darren back, he's fit and raring to go.

"But he's not going to be available to us again for a while next year because England got through."

Tom Williams turned his ankle in last night's reserve draw against Solihull Borough and is under treatment.

Blues: Vaesen, Bennett, Kenna, Cunningham, Eaden, Grainger, Carter, M Johnson, Tebily, Purse, Cisse, Devlin, D Johnson, Savage, Hughes, Lazaridis, Morrison, Mooney, Horsfield, John.

Eagle Kneevil
31-07-2002, 04:44 PM
And, of course, "rumours abound" is journo-speak for "It's Hayden Mullins but you cannot attribute that comment to me". That was the tactic used by Man U to tap up Rio Ferdinand.....

arussell
31-07-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Ben H

Depends on your definition of the area I guess.

Derry was born in Nottingham.

Grunt
31-07-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Lion

Google doesn't find anything, not does the Yellow Pages. Top man - I'm impressed. If I'm ever at a dinner party in a country mansion and someone is mysteriously found stabbed, poisoned, drowned, strangled and then raped I'll know who to call.

kevinm
31-07-2002, 05:01 PM
I have been told by an impeccable source that Shaun Derry completed his medical this morning. This would not happen if he was Birmingham bound.

PeterH
31-07-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Polish Prancer

Cant say theres too much wrong with this comment, we never learn. Palace Amateurs. Can we change our name to AFC Crystal Palace, Amateur Football Club.

PeterH
31-07-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by El Aguila

That devious devil Simon Jordan! James, you surpass yourself.

My thoughts exactly. James behave. :p

My only comment to spread some truth is the other thread about an unexpected bargain becoming available. If its not Mullins it must be Derry and probably vica versa.

nookiebear
31-07-2002, 05:24 PM
If Jordan sells Gray and Mullins to Brum (highly unlikely both of them in my opinion, but Mullins wouldn't surprise me), then he would become a very unpopular chairman indeed. Perhaps more unpopular then Goldberg or Noades ever was.

Streatham man
31-07-2002, 05:28 PM

My thoughts exactly. James behave. :p

My only comment to spread some truth is the other thread about an unexpected bargain becoming available. If its not Mullins it must be Derry and probably vica versa.

Yes, good analysis. However, in thinking further about the situation, I think it's Derry that Bruce is referring to. Why? Because he talks about how he was available at a bargain price unexpectedly. If it were Mullins, negotiations would be ongoing, and Bruce wouldn't be talking about bargains at this stage -- it would only drive up the price. With Derry, the price had already been set through the negotiations with CPFC.

I can't believe it, but I think Derry is going to Brum. Bruce has a personal vendetta against SJ and CPFC. You almost wonder whether SJ won't take legal action again (depending upon what kinds of written and oral commitments were made with Derry and Pompey). Bruce is really disgusting. The only problem is, his tactics are successfully destroying our club.

Streatham man
31-07-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear
If Jordan sells Gray and Mullins to Brum (highly unlikely both of them in my opinion, but Mullins wouldn't surprise me), then he would become a very unpopular chairman indeed. Perhaps more unpopular then Goldberg or Noades ever was.

I agree. The only point to add is that TF must be contributing to these developments as well -- he is constructing a team in his own image (a battling, hoofball team bereft of any creativity).

Palace Don
31-07-2002, 05:33 PM
The official site has recently been updated:

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/today/view/breaking_news_detail/0,,10323~247516,00.html

Streatham man
31-07-2002, 05:34 PM
Just saw the CPFC site. Francis is quoted as saying that Palace have agreed on the fee with Pompey, and the personal terms with Derry's "advisors."

It may not be a signed contract, then. But there may have been oral commitments. I think Bruce is trying to steal Derry, and SJ is looking at legal options and pressure to prevent it from happening. Anyone have any info on other transfers that appeared to have been completed and then fell apart? Specifics, please.

917L
31-07-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Streatham man

I think Bruce is trying to steal Derry, and SJ is looking at legal options and pressure to prevent it from happening

There is no evidence at present to support either of these statements. Whilst both 'may' be true they may 'both' also be false. There appears to be no hard evidence to link Derry to Birmingham(eternally optimistic here);)

Streatham man
31-07-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by 917L

There is no evidence at present to support either of these statements. Whilst both 'may' be true they may 'both' also be false. There appears to be no hard evidence to link Derry to Birmingham(eternally optimistic here);)

Quite right -- there are no "facts." Just to be clear, I'm speculating based on the snippets of information that are out there.

DONNERKEBAB
31-07-2002, 05:50 PM
Typically palace cannot sign anyone without a struggle!
All this tw@ting around makes me sick.

DennisUphill
31-07-2002, 05:55 PM

I agree. The only point to add is that TF must be contributing to these developments as well -- he is constructing a team in his own image (a battling, hoofball team bereft of any creativity).
Have to disagree slightly with your views; To my memory Francis alongside his oppo Bob Latchford was a very tidy player in his days at Brum. Certainly not 'bereft of any creativity'.

RednBlue
31-07-2002, 05:56 PM
Every bone in my body says this is a wind up.. but a very well constructed one. I agree with you 100% Will.....there's absolutely no evidence, but its working isn't it!
I think someone's having a bloddy good laugh at our expense!

Streatham man
31-07-2002, 05:56 PM
sorry -- I meant his own image in the sense of how he wants the team to play. I agree with you about TF's playing days, and it probably wasn't the best choice of words.

cpfcben
31-07-2002, 05:57 PM
i think he is definetly going to sign for br*ce, just the feeling i get!!

Palaceegl
31-07-2002, 06:04 PM
Crystal Palace have dismissed reports of Shaun Derry moving to Birmingham and say he is due to complete his medical today.

Derry was at the club's annual photocall yesterday, but was not photgraphed, and Trevor Francis said the deal was two-thirds completed.

A club spokesman told holmesdale.net that they have heard nothing from the training ground which says the deal has collapsed and expect it to be finalised at some point this afternoon.

A story was released from Portsmouth-based news agency M and Y this morning saying that Steve Bruce had signed Derry under Francis's nose at the last minute.

http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=82&story=1052

Streatham man
31-07-2002, 06:14 PM
From icBirmingham.co.uk

Blues target mystery man
Jul 31 2002

By Colin Tattum, Evening Mail

A mystery sixth player has been added to Steve Bruce's transfer hit-list.

American international Jovan Kirovski is widely expected to be the next addition to the Blues squad following completion of Clinton Morrison's transfer.

The Blues boss was thought to be happy to wind up his summer spree after Kirovski's signing but it has emerged he is now on the trail of a quality performer who, according to sources, became available unexpectedly for a "bargain".

I checked out the web site, and the story is printed there. The player who "became available unexpectedly for a 'bargain'" could be anyone, but I'm betting it is indeed Derry. If the player hadn't been signed yet by Birmingham, why would Bruce call it a "bargain?" Only if the fee had been set by the selling club already (which appears to have happened in the Derry situation through the negotiations with Palace) would the quote make sense. Otherwise, Birmingham would have destroyed their bargaining position and would be extending an invitation for the transfer fee to be increased.

Hope I'm wrong, and this is all speculation on my part. But I think it's true. If it is true, I can think of a few metaphors to describe what Bruce is doing to CPFC right now, but don't want to offend anyone.

Lion
31-07-2002, 06:15 PM
M & Y News Agency
65, Osborne Rd
Southsea Hampshire PO5 3LS
Business Type: JOURNALISTS
Tel: 023 9282 0311

Currently on the phone to them.

Lion
31-07-2002, 06:17 PM
OK.

Apparently they got it from a "local newspaper source", and it has also apparently been all over the local TV/Radio in Portsmouth.

I phoned both Brum and Portsmouth FC Press again, and both are saying that there is no truth in these rummors.

Very interesting indeed.

NRM the 2nd
31-07-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by NRM the 2nd

Ha ha , yes I was, have just woken up and this transfer seems to be going as normal!!

Streatham man
31-07-2002, 06:22 PM
if this is a windup, they've done a great job of it. there's enough valid information out there that appears to indirectly support the rumour (the Evening Mail story), which is why I think it's true.

nookiebear
31-07-2002, 06:33 PM
I think Bruce is trying to steal Derry, and SJ is looking at legal options and pressure to prevent it from happening.

There are no legal options open to jordan. Portsmouth can sell Derry to whoever they want.

Brod
31-07-2002, 06:35 PM
OK, so some "news" agency get this story from some news source.

Could this be the Palace BBS, i.e. us? Some bored journo picks up the story becuase he wants to hit the pub nice and early and people's paranoia on the BBS takes over and the story has a life of its own.

Streatham man
31-07-2002, 06:35 PM

There are no legal options open to jordan. Portsmouth can sell Derry to whoever they want.

But if Palace and Pompey have agreed terms, and there have been commitments from Derry to Palace as well, are you sure there are no legal options?

biggus mickus
31-07-2002, 06:38 PM
So, whats happening? Do we know anything yet?
Someone, somewhere must know?

pedro
31-07-2002, 06:42 PM
Sky Sports News has just said that fee and terms for Derry have been agreed between Portsmouth and...............................Palace !!!!! No mention of the bent nose one at all!!!

nookiebear
31-07-2002, 06:44 PM

But if Palace and Pompey have agreed terms, and there have been commitments from Derry to Palace as well, are you sure there are no legal options?

It's the price. If Brum match it, he can go anywhere he pleases. Derry can say to Pompey, I choose Birmingham, not Palace.

If he was made to go to Palace instead of a dream move to the Premiership, do you think he'd want to play for a club which barred his dream move back to the midlands, where he's from, probably for more cash, to a bigger club and a better manager?

There's nothing Jordan can do legally if Brum match the bid and the player chooses them.

Check this out as well, though...

More signings are on the way, pledges Bruce
By Malcolm Cinnamond
Jul 31, 2002, 12:30pm

Birmingham unveiled £4.5m record signing Clinton Morrison yesterday and then promised that more signings could be on the way.

Manager Steve Bruce has brought four major signings to the club this summer, splashing out nearly £8m in transfer fees, and managing director Karren Brady insisted the board would support the boss in further moves in the transfer market.

Crystal Palace's USA international Jovan Kirovski is still believed to be a prime target, although links with Portsmouth's Shaun Derry have been rejected, the player set to join Palace in a £400,000 move.

Could be Mullins...

Will S
31-07-2002, 06:44 PM
Mischief and/or bad journalism - mark my words.

As for the Mullins story...

gcwhite
31-07-2002, 06:47 PM
Someone, somewhere must know?

Come on BM, we normally look to you to get on your mobile and find the answers!

nookiebear
31-07-2002, 06:49 PM
http://www.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=101431&clid=&cpid=10&Title=Derry+eyeing+Palace+challenge

Includes quotes from Derry saying he's looking forward to challenge at Palace.

Lion
31-07-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Brod
OK, so some "news" agency get this story from some news source.

Could this be the Palace BBS, i.e. us? Some bored journo picks up the story becuase he wants to hit the pub nice and early and people's paranoia on the BBS takes over and the story has a life of its own.

Happened on more than one occasion from here and other boards.

Two-Tone
31-07-2002, 07:05 PM
This really isn't cool - I am trying to work and have been on a ludcirous emotional roller coaster all day - I keep trying to tell myself to keep it in perspective about it only being a player but somehow it seems so much more than that - I wish we would have official confirmation either way - just to get some closure on this!

budgie
31-07-2002, 07:15 PM
CAN EVERYBODY PLEASE STOP GOING ON ABOUT DERRY AND BIRMINGHAM.

Please, its not going to happen, the only thing that might stop Derry joining us is if he fails his medical. I don't know whats happened at our club recently but its turning everyone paranoid, someone only has to whisper Bruce or Birmingham, and everyone starts panicing.

I personnally think that signing Derry is a sign of the better days making a return at the Palace, it appears he was one of Pompeys better players, and he may well have had other options, but he has chosen to come to us.

Palace for the premiership this year. ;)

nookiebear
31-07-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Two-Tone
This really isn't cool - I am trying to work and have been on a ludcirous emotional roller coaster all day

Blimey, calm down, it's only Shaun Derry

Two-Tone
31-07-2002, 07:24 PM
my point exactly - its ludicrous isn't it!

OKnotOK
31-07-2002, 07:43 PM
Just seen this on HOL (unless anyone else has beaten me to it?)

Palace say Derry has not gone (http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=82&story=1052)

Crystal Palace have dismissed reports of Shaun Derry moving to Birmingham and say he is due to complete his medical today.

Derry was at the club's annual photocall yesterday, but was not photgraphed, and Trevor Francis said the deal was two-thirds completed.

A club spokesman told Holmesdale.net that they have heard nothing from the training ground which says the deal has collapsed and expect it to be finalised at some point this afternoon.

A story was released from Portsmouth-based news agency M and Y this morning saying that Steve Bruce had signed Derry under Francis's nose at the last minute.