Joe Knight
29-07-2002, 07:21 PM
DELE PALACE-BOUND

Crystal Palace manager Trevor Francis is lining up out-of-contract
Birmingham striker Dele Adebola to replace St Andrews-bound
Republic of Ireland international Clinton Morrison. Francis is
ready to begin talks with Adebola, 27, over a free transfer move to
Selhurst Park with Morrison expected to complete his 4.5 million
pound switch to Birmingham later this week.

Ex-Crewe star Adebola is keen to link up with former Birmingham
boss Francis after failing to land a permanent move to Palace's
first division rivals Portsmouth following a one-week trial at
Fratton Park. The Nigerian, who has scored 42 goals in 105 games
since being bought for Birmingham by Francis four years ago, said:

"I just want to find another club as soon as possible. "I always
knew I would have to leave Birmingham once my contract ran out and
now I am just going to concentrate on making up for lost time. "I
got on really well with Trevor Francis when he was my manager and
it would be great if we could get together again but we will just
have to see what happens in the coming weeks."

Daddy Long
29-07-2002, 07:24 PM
Adebola could do a job for us.

g23
29-07-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Joe Knight
42 goals in 105 games

0.4 ;)

g23
29-07-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Adebola could do a job for us.

As long as he didn't prove to be a locker-room virus. :)

Seriously, are we on a mission to collect the whole massive black English striker set? Benjamin, Akinbiyi, Adebola...Heskey anyone?

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 07:26 PM
Well this is looking to be an excellent week.

Two strikers, one midfielder and 3.4m in exchange for a striker.

Good work Trevor.

Joe Knight
29-07-2002, 07:27 PM
Adebola and Akinbiyi

we will redefine hoofball

AJ1969
29-07-2002, 07:28 PM
Adebola and Akinbiyi

Classic !! :D :eek: :rolleyes: :grrr: :p :D

Del Gland
29-07-2002, 07:29 PM
Do you think that Adebola, Johnson, and Ade can muster the same amount of goals as Morrison does in a season based on their return rate?

OF COURSE THEY CAN'T FRANCIS - YOU MUPPET..YOU CAN'T PLAY THEM ALL IN THE SAME GAMES!!

:veryangry :veryangry :veryangry

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 07:31 PM
What, the

Goal every 0.4 games Adebola
Goal every 0.3 games Akinbiyi
Goal every 0.12 games Johnson

Cant match a

Goal every 0.38 games Morrison

We`ve done good business here if this is true.

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Del Gland
OF COURSE THEY CAN'T FRANCIS - YOU MUPPET..YOU CAN'T PLAY THEM ALL IN THE SAME GAMES!!

No but we have effective back up for when they go through the inevitable lean patch.

I believe Morrison didnt score in something like 20 games last season, so how pleasant it would have been to have had an effective backup.

Adrian
29-07-2002, 07:37 PM
The proof of the pudding.....etc.

I'm afraid Adebola and Akinbiyi were both nothing special before they came to Palace. And I'd never heard of Shaun Derry and Andrew Johnson.

I'm crossing my fingers. With superglue.

Daddy Long
29-07-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa
Well this is looking to be an excellent week.

hardly

Riccardo
29-07-2002, 07:38 PM
We should have made this signing when we needed a cover striker last season....then finally got AA.

I think he could do a job, but he's a bit too similar to AA....I hope he proves me wrong though and score 20 next season. (my new positive style)

GOD
29-07-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Riccardo
We should have made this signing when we needed a cover striker last season....then finally got AA.

I think he could do a job, but he's a bit too similar to AA....I hope he proves me wrong though and score 20 next season. (my new positive style)

It suits you :p

p.s does my bum look big in this?

OKnotOK
29-07-2002, 07:47 PM
I like Jaffa think that if this and the Derry story are true makes for really good business.

I know none of us wanted to see Morrison go but I think we all have to accept that -- as James warned us :veryangry -- Palace's finances are fcuked.

This way we get 3m for Morrison (cos I don't count on us getting the 500k necessarily for Birmingham staying up), we get a talented youngster (who couldn't play long ball even if we wanted to), a striker with a better goals-game ratio than Morrison in the same division (though I do not think he is as good), and a decent young midfielder who I actually think is more creative than some are giving him credit for.

Adebola won't command huge wages cos he is out of contract and desperate. Derry's won't be massive either and Johnson will probably be on 5k-ish a week.

I thought that Morrison going would be gutting but these deals will definitely soften the blow.

OOCO
29-07-2002, 07:50 PM
I think he's going to Pompey instead.

Del Gland
29-07-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Riccardo

I'm off to the AA tonight actually!!

Jordan's Jacket
29-07-2002, 08:14 PM
Adebola and Akinbiyi

exactly, I can't face it...:(

CK
29-07-2002, 08:15 PM
I think Francis has got the wrong idea. He obviously thinks along the Yellow Pages/Arsenal lines, but having lots of people starting with 'A' don't really move you up the league.

BUNGLE
29-07-2002, 08:21 PM
He would be a good signing but i do fear the day when Akinbiyi and Adebola start up front together.

MARKOFBLOCKB
29-07-2002, 08:22 PM
Has everyone forgotten about Sir Douglas.

If it wasn't for Freedman Morrison would only have scored about 10 goals last season

Del Gland
29-07-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by CK
I think Francis has got the wrong idea. He obviously thinks along the Yellow Pages/Arsenal lines, but having lots of people starting with 'A' don't really move you up the league.

Why can't he start at Z?

Zidane for instance!

29-07-2002, 08:26 PM
Heh, don't panic people - Craig Harrison will be returning to fitness soon.

Del Gland
29-07-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by MARKOFBLOCKB

If it wasn't for Freedman Morrison would only have scored about 10 goals last season

Yes..but wasn't Sir Douglas a quintet?

arussell
29-07-2002, 08:28 PM
I seem to remember seeing something some while ago about him retiring due to injury ? - which was why he was being released.

Joe Knight
29-07-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by beestey

:D :sob:

BUNGLE
29-07-2002, 08:29 PM

And Visa versa I think you'll find.

Jason
29-07-2002, 08:40 PM
I must admit, I can see the logic in this one. Clinton has gone, so we replace him with an up and coming youngster (Johnson) and an established first Division Performer (Adebola). With 3m still in the kitty, we can spend half of that strengthening other areas (Derry a case in point) while the other half is used to shore up the clubs overall position.

Obviously, Adebola is not as good a player as Clinton, but he does actually have a better strike rate than Clinton over the last three years. At 27 , he's also far from being at the end of his career (although he is unlikely to improve much beyond his current level). He can do the job of firing us into the play offs (as he did for Birmingham). If successful, we can then use the Premier League money to buy a replacement who is capable of the step up.

Of course, others will just use the signing as a stick to beat TF with . . . .

Boris the charltonhater
29-07-2002, 08:44 PM
What, the

Goal every 0.4 games Adebola
Goal every 0.3 games Akinbiyi
Goal every 0.12 games Johnson

Cant match a

Goal every 0.38 games Morrison

We`ve done good business here if this is true.

I can really imagine Adebola and Akinbiyi setting up chances for other players. :rolleyes:

doom and gloom and more doom and gloom.

cpfcben
29-07-2002, 08:49 PM
no thanks, this would be a bl00dy awful signing

hoof ball here we come, i am prepared to give AJ a chance but this bloke is a complete donkey

we really are getting desperate if we sign this donkey

wake up francis you complete clown:clown: :clown: :clown:

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 08:50 PM
Is he supposed to be that?

I think Freedman and Johnson are providers.

Adebola and Akibiyi are big strong forwards.

Christ, some of you lot would moan if we made a triple signing of Raul, Zidane and Figo.

Theres a lot of goals in this forward line if it all comes together. Not all the teams we will be playing are the same, it makes sense to have a bit of variety in attack.

Not more doom and gloom Boris, but definitely more

MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN

Ive had it with Palace, Im not coming again next season, thanks to you so called supporters.

There was a time when it was fun. Now it isnt.

Levski
29-07-2002, 09:00 PM
Just because someone says his or her opinion about a player does not mean that he or she is slating Palace and being a doom-merchant. Can anyone really say that they are excited to see these players coming in on the Morrison money?

Butterfield, Johnson, Adebola, Derry.

In principle it's not a bad idea to stregnthen the squad, but these guys are surely average division one through and through. They represent Palace's squad being filled with playing staff that will do no more than keep us in the division. I'm not moaning, I'm just pointing out that these are average players, and I'm not convinced that more average, battling players are what we need. Why can't we get a ball playing midfielder? It's just UNBELIEVABLE that we don't even put in bids for people like Koumas, or go looking abroad for players who can play a killer pass, and can knock the ball around. We've not had any creation in the middle of the park since Lombardo and Curcic left us. I'll give these boys support, but I don't expect them to do anything much.

But sorry. That makes me a moaner, and ruins the rosy prospect of this season for everyone. I'll not say anything else in future.

rednbluevegas
29-07-2002, 09:01 PM
I'm with the positive lads here - this is good business considereing our position.

Morrison out to the only club that bidded - and a young, talented youngster plus an experienced old (scoring) hand as replacements. Good solid transfer manouvering.

I always think about how these players performed against us when coming to an opinion as to whether its a postive transfer or not. AJ always looked fast and mobile, while Adebola scared the living daylights out of the centre backs.

We now have 4 proven 1st div strikers. Thats a better position than this time last year. Nice work Trevor.

Daddy Long
29-07-2002, 09:08 PM
we haven't got Adebola or Johnson yet

Niceaction
29-07-2002, 09:09 PM
Im with you Jaffa.

Constant moaning about TF, Ade, SJ and Andrew Johnson before he has even signed! makes me wonder whether there are any other supporters out there who realise WE ARE NOT MAN U.

Palace are not a big team and probably never will be. We have to sell to survive. We are a mid table first division side, who, with good luck and good fortune can finish in a play off position.
I love Palace for this. It means theres never a dull moment.

Sure, be optimistic in how high up the league you think Palace will finish next season, or how well we will do against our next opposition.
But be realistic!

The supporters who booed Ade last season should get a season ticket for Brighton next year, because your certainly no fan of this club. Your a disgrace.
A large vocal support for your team when playing at home can really count as a 12th man, shouting constant abuse at one of your own players will not only make him play worse, but the team as a whole! Maybe your all partly responsible for us not finishing in the play offs last season?

BUNGLE
29-07-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Niceaction

A large vocal support for your team when playing at home can really count as a 12th man, shouting constant abuse at one of your own players will not only make him play worse, but the team as a whole! Maybe your all partly responsible for us not finishing in the play offs last season?

To fecking right.

Levski
29-07-2002, 09:14 PM
Of course all fans should get behind the team. Many of the fans do. I'm as loud as possible and never slag off the players. But it is wrong to say that offerring a slightly pessimistic take on player signings is counter-productive. It is important for fans of a team to debate things. I for one think that we have bought some ok players this week, but that we already have plenty of those, and we need somethind different. Hence I'm a bit disappointed. This doesn't mean I'll slag off the new players when they turn out for us. Quite the opposite in fact. I was up there at Norwich shouting 'ADE ADE ADE'. I still think he's a sh!t player and a dreadful signing.

Essexeagle
29-07-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Adrian
And I'd never heard of Shaun Derry and Andrew Johnson.

*dons ultra optimistic hat*

I'd never heard of Andy Cole when he joined Newcastle as a failed Arsenal player.

Originally posted by Levski
But it is wrong to say that offerring a slightly pessimistic take on player signings is counter-productive.
[/B]

I wholeheartedly agree, but when was the last time you saw 'slightly pessimistic' takes on potential players. All I've seen recently is rapid opposition, character assasination and people forming an unhealthy opinion before the player has set foot in the club.

Levski
29-07-2002, 09:27 PM
Fair enough. Yes, that IS unproductive!

Sick Bucket
29-07-2002, 09:32 PM
Obviously I will miss Clint greatly but I have to say TF signings make sense.

Ade and Adebola up front ain't gonna be pretty though is it ?

Justy C
29-07-2002, 09:36 PM
I've got a radical idea, what the hell, it might just work.

Lets try an experiment and get behind the team for the first 2 months of the season. Players might respond a bit better, relax, and start enjoying their football. We might get better results and then before you know it we'll all start to enjoy going to watch Palace. Try it for 2 months, if it works then we'll carry on, if it doesn't then we can resort to the way we are now. Nothing to lose.

One recent game sticks in my memory - home to Forest in August 2000. 3-0 down at half time, we all got behind the team and clawed it back to 3-2 and then missed a penalty in the last minute. Classic stuff and I'm sure we made a big difference that day.

Come on fellas, I know these aren't household names we're about to sign but lets give people a fair chance. The way that people got on Ades back 30 minutes into his debut was an embarrassment.

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Justy C
I've got a radical idea, what the hell, it might just work.

Lets try an experiment and get behind the team for the first 2 months of the season. Players might respond a bit better, relax, and start enjoying their football. We might get better results and then before you know it we'll all start to enjoy going to watch Palace. Try it for 2 months, if it works then we'll carry on, if it doesn't then we can resort to the way we are now. Nothing to lose.

One recent game sticks in my memory - home to Forest in August 2000. 3-0 down at half time, we all got behind the team and clawed it back to 3-2 and then missed a penalty in the last minute. Classic stuff and I'm sure we made a big difference that day.

Come on fellas, I know these aren't household names we're about to sign but lets give people a fair chance. The way that people got on Ades back 30 minutes into his debut was an embarrassment.

Dont be stupid.

Why let a football match get in the way of a good moaning session.

Maidstoned Eagle
29-07-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Sick Bucket
[B
Ade and Adebola up front ain't gonna be pretty though is it ? [/B]

Why do you assume that he will play them both together? Couldn't it be possible that he will have Dougie/ Johnson playing the provider and Adebola or Akinbiyi putting the chances away? And didn't we all complain that we needed someone who can head the ball from the constantly improving crosses from Gray/Black/ Granville/Rubins etc?

davematt
29-07-2002, 09:46 PM
this time last week about aj goal record, but if we sign adebola, aj goal record will look premiership quality. i knew this would f****** happen, we can start calling ourselves the birmingham rejects. in the smith season we needed a striker and i kept saying adebola as a possible signing, my dad cant stand him, and he is worse now than he was two seasons ago

Jaffa
29-07-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by davematt
this time last week about aj goal record, but if we sign adebola, aj goal record will look premiership quality. i knew this would f****** happen, we can start calling ourselves the birmingham rejects. in the smith season we needed a striker and i kept saying adebola as a possible signing, my dad cant stand him, and he is worse now than he was two seasons ago

What, you mean 0.4 goals a game at Birmingham, or 0.37 goals a game in total.

Yeah, really bad.

What did Clinton have btw?

Maidstoned Eagle
Pardon? :confused:

cpfcben
we should obviously try and give players a chance, but under jordan we have already made too many sh!tty buys, whiuch have been costly and i can't see this being any different!!!!

i can see us having to pay up this blokes contract, just like hopkin pollock etc as he is too injury prone

how many fans really want to see long ball football

this is what you will get if we sign him

this is the guy who couldn't even get a game at oldham last year when he went on loan to them, i hardly think he will be good enough for us!!!!

NO THANK YOU

AJ1969
29-07-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by beestey

You just ruined my day, big time - thanks ;)

Ralph
29-07-2002, 10:03 PM
They cant f'kin win can they!!!!

Most of you lot would slag off anyone we buy! I dont know whats happened to this club but I remember the days when any signing would ve been greeted with a cheer (Iain Dowie anyone???)

If people continue to harp on about us signing 'Lomdardo once' I think Im going to flip out...look what signings like that did to us. Who wants that back again?

The only forum worth reading on here anymore is Memory Lane, because thats what Palace is more about, the people who post on there have the right memories about this club. Remember Garry Thompson? Nothing special but he is still praised in that forum.

Under Noades we would only buy players under a certain age with a certain sell on value, or a cheap stop gap to do a job. Thats what this club was always about, and still should be. Adebola, AJ, Derry and Butterfield are prime examples of this (Good Business), but the mindless expectations of the new Palace fan has ruined that.

I for one have enjoyed this pre-season as much as any. We've lost our star striker, which has caused a good debate, and we've signed three or four relative "unknowns", raising expectation and anticipation for the new season!

I also find increasingly annoying when people post on here with statistics to prove one point then turn a blind eye when those same statistics are used to prove a point they dont want to see! Lighten up all of you and enjoy it!

JABBA
29-07-2002, 10:10 PM

http://www.4thegame.com/playerprofile.d?personid=2924

picture included

kolinkins
29-07-2002, 10:14 PM
i cant believe some of the doble standards i read here. we slag off 3 strickers - AA, AJ, DA, before we even sign them, and expect them to do the business for us. what really gets to me is that if the same business (selling clint, getting AA, AJ, DA and derry) was done by sir steve, we would be hearing nothing but praise for the signings. also, i am sure that if someone had mentioned adebola coming a year ago, ,ost of you would be chuffed. i for one am glad he is being linked. he can score goals in this division - what else do u want? and if we play hoofball, and get into the playoffs, then i couldnt care less.

Jimbo ?
29-07-2002, 10:47 PM
very big oh dear!!!

Mick
29-07-2002, 11:18 PM
These players we are being linked with/ signing sound like good purchases to me. Adebola has always caused Palace problems and I would be very happy if we signed him.

Shaun Derry is a replacement for Jamie Pollock and hopefully this means the end for Thomson (who is simply not good enough).

I am not a Trevor Francis fan, but we have to get behind the team

Son of Shacker
29-07-2002, 11:26 PM
I like Dele Adebola. He always plays well (and scores) against us. He does put himself about and creates chances. The only thing is, I thought AA was supposed to do that job for us? And, I don't really like the idea of two bigg'uns up front with the little fella coming up from behind:eek:

MENTALLY TOUGH
29-07-2002, 11:39 PM
WELL THIS POSSIBLE SIGNING JUSTIFY'S THE LONG SHORTS

Walrus
30-07-2002, 12:45 AM
It's just UNBELIEVABLE that we don't even put in bids for people like Koumas, or go looking abroad for players who can play a killer pass, and can knock the ball around. We've not had any creation in the middle of the park since Lombardo and Curcic left us. I'll give these boys support, but I don't expect them to do anything much.

But sorry. That makes me a moaner, and ruins the rosy prospect of this season for everyone. I'll not say anything else in future.

Levski......there is no way Koumas was leaving the merseyside area. IMO he's been marking time at Tranmere until the offer from Everton (or Liverpool, Blackburn or Bolton or Man City) came in. He blew out WBA, who are in the Prem remember unlike us.

As for the creative foreign talent, why would they want to come to Palace ? We don't have the profile some fans think we have.

But yep, Lombardo was a God.

Steve in Phoenix
30-07-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Son of Shacker
I like Dele Adebola. He always plays well (and scores) against us. He does put himself about and creates chances. The only thing is, I thought AA was supposed to do that job for us? And, I don't really like the idea of two bigg'uns up front with the little fella coming up from behind:eek:

Isnt Ade injured for the start of the season? We have naff all depth up front (esp with Morrison gone) so Im just glad we're getting a pretty good striker on a free to give us some options that we desperately needed ever since the beginning of last season.

lees eagles
30-07-2002, 02:06 AM
I have been looking through various palace sites including holmesdale.net and the rivals.net board, and some people have been linking us with moves for Martin Grainger and Michael Johnson, both from Birmingham.

Both would be solid additions to the squad in my opinion!

Johnson is a centre back
Grainger is a left back

Any one else seen or heard anything?

Ralph
30-07-2002, 02:09 AM
Johnson was mentioned earlier in the summer but I think it was more confusion with Andy.

Grainger is very much a firm favourite at Brum and a very decent player, so i cant see either Bruce letting him go or us being able to afford him. Considering Granville joined not that long ago I dont think its worth it either.

biggus mickus
30-07-2002, 02:13 AM
Anyone for the looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng ball game??

DOH!

lees eagles
30-07-2002, 02:17 AM
Currently back from Uni and working at Selsdon Park Hotel (where francis stayed only last week!). As i was leaving my shift, Dele Adebola walked in to sign in. So i waited and then when he had finished, offered to help him with his bags to his room (only to have a chat).I spoke to him and he said he is training with Palace for the next three days and playing on Wednesday against Spurs. So i then asked him who else is trevor going to sign so he said:

"Well hopefully me, Martin Grainger from Birmingham, Shaun Derrin from Portsmouth and Michael Johnson (don't know who he plays for!)."

So it has come from the horse's mouth who he is going to sign and i believe these could be potential quality players at Palace.

This was posted on the holmesdale.net boards, and was posted on the 28th - the day before we knew of the Derry and Adebola situations!

PeterH
30-07-2002, 02:31 AM
Lets give a bit of credit here. At least TF is getting players in at very reasonable rates. A lesson learnt from the AA tranfer. I have no opinion on these prospective signings so cannot slate them. Its news and it slightly oftens the Morrison and to a lesser extent SR departures.

We should have plenty of cover up front now and I would advise people to not lock away during games, you are liable to get a ball in the face. :D

Lets see these boys in action and what style(s) of football we play as we accomodate their strengths, no slagging please.

LLCOOLSTEVE
30-07-2002, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by lees eagles

"Well hopefully me, Martin Grainger from Birmingham, Shaun Derrin from Portsmouth and Michael Johnson (don't know who he plays for!)."

Grainger would be a brilliant signing, Johnson is from Brum too, Centre back who is steady but nothing more, seem to be picking up alot of Birminghams dead wood at the moment, thats if these signings happen.

Jaffa
30-07-2002, 02:44 AM
Indeed, Grainger is excellent, but it seems strange to want to sign another leftback so soon after signing Granville.

sydney eagle
30-07-2002, 02:54 AM
I'm with you Jaffa and all the other positive people on here. If we sign these players it will do us much more good than harm....I'm sick of all the moaning that goes on in these threads. I was certainly unhappy when TF was appointed but give the guy a chance,all these players are quite young and have done the business in this division without setting it alight.Last season we missed consistancy so having cover in all these positions will only improve on that IMHO.

Nice to see some peoples glasses are half full...well done Jaffa and all other positive BBS members:p...

Hang The DJ
30-07-2002, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE

Grainger would be a brilliant signing, Johnson is from Brum too, Centre back who is steady but nothing more, seem to be picking up alot of Birminghams dead wood at the moment, thats if these signings happen.

Seems to me that we are picking up (or potentially picking up) the core of a squad that has finished in the top 6 of this division for the past 4 years in a row - something or club has come nowhere near doing.

Johnson A - not seen enough of him to judge. Fast but questionable finishing. Could well improve significantly with some guidance from DF

Adebola - Stong, good in the air but limited on the ground. Last remember him a couple of seasons ago coming on at half time and ripping us apart along with Furlong when they won 2-0.

Johnson M - very quick. Part of a solid defence at Birmingham and his pace could be an excellent foil for Popovic.

Grainger - can't believe this one. Always impressed by him since his Brentford days. Good free-kicks.

rednbluevegas
30-07-2002, 04:48 AM
I believe that TF is beginning to show his understanding of this div with some great signings and some very good possible targets. This is a good step in the right direction for the squad and I now look forward to seeing how they are going to play.

TF was on to a loser as soon as he took the job at Palace due to the whole Bruce affair. He has built a squad at Birmingham that has been good enough for promotion the last 3 seasons (Bruce had a bit of luck and took that same squad up). Lets give the fella a chance eh? After all he's not Dave Bassett!

dannyturner
30-07-2002, 10:48 AM

100% right. And if Clinton wasn't so greedy "Sir Douglas" would have scored at least another ten.

Latvian
30-07-2002, 12:43 PM

Christ, some of you lot would moan if we made a triple signing of Raul, Zidane and Figo.

Too old, has beens. Dont need them Akis better :p

Brod
30-07-2002, 01:09 PM
How about this radical idea?

Every time you try something, you risk failure. This goes for new signings as much as work, cooking or playing the banjo (Juan Veron, anyone?) At least TF is tryoing to assemble a good squad with lots of depth. Yes, we can all pick it to pieces and say AA's **** but I like DA, why on earth AJ - he's no Morrison, etc, etc, etc ad nauseum.

If TF gets it right 80% of the time, he's doing a bloody good job.

Dave
30-07-2002, 04:41 PM
looks like he's on his way to Selhurst

What?
30-07-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Dave
looks like he's on his way to Selhurst

So i see, he appears to be on trial, so will he play tommorow?

Dal
30-07-2002, 05:32 PM
I think Adebola is a useful front man. He's a much better footballer than most people give him credit for.

Would very much like to see him in a Palace shirt.

nookiebear
30-07-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by rednbluevegas
s (Bruce had a bit of luck and took that same squad up).

No he didn't.

The team that lined up against Norwich in the play-off final included around 9 new players bought by Bruce, such as Vickers and Stern John.

Bruce said in an interview that Brum's run into the play-offs had been a surprise as they didn't expect all the new players to settle in so quickly.

He was buidling hoping to win promotion this season.

OKnotOK
30-07-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear

No he didn't.

The team that lined up against Norwich in the play-off final included around 9 new players bought by Bruce, such as Vickers and Stern John.

Bruce said in an interview that Brum's run into the play-offs had been a surprise as they didn't expect all the new players to settle in so quickly.

He was buidling hoping to win promotion this season.

We've been through this before and it simply isn't true.

Birmingham Match Report of Play-off Final (http://www.bcfc.com/stats/view/postmatch_analysis/0,,10412,00.html)

Vaesen: Francis
Kenna: Bruce signed him permanently (he was initially on trial but can't remember who took him on trial)
Vickers: Bruce
Carter: Youth team
Johnson: Fry
Grainger: Signed in March 96, can't remember if that was Fry or Francis
Devlin: Bruce
Hughes: Francis
Tebily: Bruce
Mooney: Francis
Lazaridis: Francis
Horsfield: Francis
Johnson: Youth
John: Bruce

So Bruce signed 5 of the players that played that day. 2 were from the youth side. Fry signed 2 I think and Francis signed 5 of them (and also gave Carter and Johnson there first chances through the youth team).

Big Bird
30-07-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by dannyturner

100% right. And if Clinton wasn't so greedy "Sir Douglas" would have scored at least another ten.

:cool: Could not agree more with the sentiments above.

Duke
30-07-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by MENTALLY TOUGH
WELL THIS POSSIBLE SIGNING JUSTIFY'S THE LONG SHORTS

What are you implying?!?;)

Duke
30-07-2002, 09:27 PM
I for one would prefer to see Dele Adebola up front rather than kabba.

remember currently we have the following forwards.

Dougie - great div 1 player
AJ - experienced div 1 player (not seen him play so can't say how good)
Akinbuyi - proven div 1 player & different option to both of above (but injured)
routledge - kid no experience - better on wing
Williams - no experience
Kabba- no real experince and from general reports won't cut it in Div 1

Unless we throw in the kids we have no depth and no real experience with Akinbuyi out until Nov at least.

Adebola will give us depth, a differnent style of play from Dougie and AJ and he has experince in Div 1 and has a pretty good scoring record.

This is exactly the type of player we need.

If he comes it will be a WISE choice by TF.

Son of Shacker
30-07-2002, 09:43 PM
CEEFAX have confirmed that BBC London have reported that Dele Adebola is training with us. So it must be true!

Jaffa
30-07-2002, 09:47 PM
I understand he is playing tommorow.

As Ive said before I think he will be a useful player, he has always scored goals at this level, is nice and tall and I think just the player we need.

Noodlezz
30-07-2002, 10:36 PM
Are the clouds starting to clear, after all SK said no deals could be done till Morrison made his move. If these are the players we are looking at getting, I suddenly feel a lot more hopeful for the season. These players would add a real solid centre to the team.

Boyandy
30-07-2002, 10:48 PM
He might have only played the one game for Portsmouth (v Chelsea), but they seemed to think he was ok.

http://boards.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=922&p=16&style=1&forumId=3253&action=1&replytoid=2137306791

brighton_eagle
30-07-2002, 11:03 PM
he has always scored goals at this level, is nice and tall

Nice too!! Thats good ;)

Chester 76
31-07-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by dannyturner

100% right. And if Clinton wasn't so greedy "Sir Douglas" would have scored at least another ten. Strange how Bruce missed that!

Stubby
31-07-2002, 12:46 AM
I am a Boro fan based in South Croydon, I see them when I can otherwise I watch Palace. I am excited for Boro (I know they are not liked down here) they have made a few good (expensive !) signings (hopefully Sir Gareth will stay and not go to Mr Vegetables at Leeds) when other premiership clubs are not, in the same breath now Morrison has left it seem's Palace are doing the same, okay a few maybe ex Brum but at least Francis is trying to build the team, how many other Div1 teams are strengthing their squads? Palace had a good nucleas last season but after the defection of the Geordie T++t lost their way, and that includes Mr O' Morrison loosing his scoring touch. Palace were also unlucky with injuries - Popovic/Symons - just when it seemed they would form a good defence. Fleming was brill (yes lots of Boro bias there) and Granville improved no end (Both brought in by Trev). Sort out the defense first then the rest of the team. We still have Berhalter too (for the time being!).
With a strong fit defence I am sure Palace will do well.
I think Adebola is a good Div 1 player and Trev must rate AJ to pick him ahead of Mooney a proven Div 1 striker.

Good luck to the Palace (and Boro ! - Robbie Mustoe is available on a free but he is 33 although he is a good committed, strong midfielder would be excellent in Div 1 although Derby are sniffing).

31-07-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Noodlezz
Are the clouds starting to clear, after all SK said no deals could be done till Morrison made his move. If these are the players we are looking at getting, I suddenly feel a lot more hopeful for the season. These players would add a real solid centre to the team.
Keepthe faith.....Up the Palace!

OKnotOK
31-07-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Stubby
I am a Boro fan based in South Croydon, I see them when I can otherwise I watch Palace. I am excited for Boro (I know they are not liked down here) they have made a few good (expensive !) signings (hopefully Sir Gareth will stay and not go to Mr Vegetables at Leeds) when other premiership clubs are not, in the same breath now Morrison has left it seem's Palace are doing the same, okay a few maybe ex Brum but at least Francis is trying to build the team, how many other Div1 teams are strengthing their squads? Palace had a good nucleas last season but after the defection of the Geordie T++t lost their way, and that includes Mr O' Morrison loosing his scoring touch. Palace were also unlucky with injuries - Popovic/Symons - just when it seemed they would form a good defence. Fleming was brill (yes lots of Boro bias there) and Granville improved no end (Both brought in by Trev). Sort out the defense first then the rest of the team. We still have Berhalter too (for the time being!).
With a strong fit defence I am sure Palace will do well.
I think Adebola is a good Div 1 player and Trev must rate AJ to pick him ahead of Mooney a proven Div 1 striker.

Good luck to the Palace (and Boro ! - Robbie Mustoe is available on a free but he is 33 although he is a good committed, strong midfielder would be excellent in Div 1 although Derby are sniffing).

It must be Palace fans cos that is one of the only positive postings I have read for ages!

And I completely agree. Can I just thank Boro for Fleming cos there is no North-Eastern bias when I say he is the best tackler at the club and deserves the captain's armband for the start of the season.

I hope Southgate stay at your lot as well cos I would hate to see him join Venables at Leeds. In fact Boro have spent quite a bit this season and if they can keep Southgate, Ehiogu, and Boksic fit then they must have a good chance for the season.

Phil O'Sophical
31-07-2002, 02:53 PM
Posted at 10.35 on Ananova this morning:

Palace set for Adebola swoop

Crystal Palace manager Trevor Francis is set to sign former Birmingham striker Dele Adebola.

Francis swooped for Blues forward Andrew Johnson as part of Clinton Morrison's 4.25million deal this week.

But he hopes to add Adebola, released this summer, if he impresses on trial this week.

The former Crewe player would provide cover while Ade Akinbiyi recovers from a knee injury.

Francis said: "Adebola's here because we have a long-term injury to Akinbiyi. I invited him down to take part in training.

"When he's played we can sit down and go from there. I know all about his playing ability because I signed him at Birmingham.

"He's here just to check on his present condition because he hasn't played much for them due to injuries."

Story filed: 10:35 Wednesday 31st July 2002

SHiggins
31-07-2002, 05:35 PM
On a freebie and providing the wages are OK I reckon he would be useful for us - I remember him looking a threat against us a few times.

Palace Don
31-07-2002, 05:41 PM
Palace to Sign Derry, Adebola on Trial
The official site has recently been updated:

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/today/view/br...~247516,00.html

AJ
01-08-2002, 12:17 AM
I see Adebole is in the squad for tonights game:p

Jimbo ?
01-08-2002, 12:36 AM
another inspired francis signing!!!!!!

Jimbo ?
01-08-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by SHiggins
On a freebie and providing the wages are OK I reckon he would be useful for us - I remember him looking a threat against us a few times.

most people do

Jaffa
01-08-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?
another inspired francis signing!!!!!!

Yes, indeed.

Along with Butterfield, Derry, Granville, Symons, Akinbiyi and Fleming.

Mr Francis has been on excellent form with transfers.

Streatham man
01-08-2002, 12:42 AM
has Derry signed?

Isleworth Eagle
01-08-2002, 12:58 AM
What is Francis up to?
We have just sold one of our two graet prospects...he has never been a great manager...why did Brum get rid. WE HAVE GOT A BORINBG MANAGER so we will havew a boring team I hate to say I would prefer a bad year so Francis goes....then we will be on the other track

Jaffa
01-08-2002, 01:00 AM
With fans like you who needs enemies.

gator
01-08-2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Isleworth Eagle
I hate to say I would prefer a bad year so Francis goes....
A little like cutting your nose off to spite your face:confused:

Crunchie
01-08-2002, 01:53 AM
The most worrying aspect about this signing if it happens (which I hope does not):grrr: is that, as Biggus has stated, the style of football would be dreadful to watch, and is the main reason why I dislike him being our manager (as well as his character).

PASS AND MOVE!!!!!

biggus mickus
01-08-2002, 02:21 AM
I cant wait for Chocky to get online, I think he will tell you what he thinks of our new "star" striker.
He is well pished off.

Les Butler
01-08-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by biggus mickus
I cant wait for Chocky to get online, I think he will tell you what he thinks of our new "star" striker.
He is well pished off.

Was he good then ? great stuff !

Hey what the hell lets see our new signings in a few real games first and then turn them over if there crap.

It's a new season with new hope and as it has always been said you never know with the Palace.

Who would have thought that all of last season we would have been in with a chance of going up so lets wait a bit before the heavy slagging takes place, we could be suprised.

biggus mickus
01-08-2002, 02:37 AM
I agree Les. You know Chocky, if there is chance to have pop, he will.

Q P

Baloo
01-08-2002, 01:16 PM
Contrary to many of the views posted on the testimonial thread, I thought Dele looked okay last night. Definitely not match fit, but there were glimpses of talent there, and I reckon he'd be an astute signing, capable of barging his way through defences and winning a few nod-downs to Dougie.

I think he'd be a better partner for Dougie than AJ, as AJ is too similar to Dougie.

Justy C
01-08-2002, 01:25 PM
I'd go along with that Baloo. I thought he was pretty sound, nothing spectacular but nothing awful either. It can't have been easy for the forwards last night, we showed very little creativity in midfield (going off on on a tangent here I know but why are we playing Butterfield right midfield? He looks a decent player but I'd much rather see someone far more attack minded in that position...like Tommy Black or Routledge on the right and Rubins on the left).

Cleon
01-08-2002, 01:32 PM
On the evidence of last nights performance, I would not want to be offering him a substantial or generous contract. He may fill a gap, but he'd struggle to get ahead of a fit Akinbiyi.

Boris the charltonhater
01-08-2002, 01:42 PM
Ignore what I have posted earlier, I thought Adebloa looked good yesterday and would offer him a contract.

Ralph
01-08-2002, 01:44 PM
I also thought Adebola showed a few nice touches, they were up against a strong defence remember. He turned his amrker a couple of times and also made a few intelligent knock downs to Dougie.

Butterfield looks like he can play a bit of football so I would try him centrally with Mullins.

arussell
01-08-2002, 02:59 PM
Adebola didn't do a lot last night - but then he didn't get a lot of the ball either. Held the ball up ok and laid it off alright, in exactly the same way that Morrison would have done.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to judge a player based on part of one game, when he's only met his teammates the day before.

Needs more time on trial before making any sort of judgement/decision.

OKnotOK
01-08-2002, 03:42 PM
To be fair I thought he looked quite sharp. Especially for someone who has basically not kicked a ball for a season.

Though his on-pitch performances definitely can not be judged just by this performance, I don't think that is what TF is assessing.

He likes Dele and consistently got good performances out of him as Birmingham manager. He knows Dele has talent. All he is assessing on this trial is his fitness.

Still needs a while more to prove it but I think he will probably sign as long as he can pass our stringent fitness assessments.

And I doubt he will be on too much money. Francis would offer him most anything but Jordan will have been feeling a little stingy after recent events and most footballers will accept any contract is better than no contract (a distinct possibility in the current football climate).

PeterH
01-08-2002, 04:25 PM
Give him the Charlton game to shows some moves. If not convincing continue to trawl through the released list. Its as much about wages these days and we may as well pay a promising youngster less and have some slack left in the budget for contract renewals.

6/10 for last night. Routledge looked good when he was brought into the play, Johnson looked pretty damn useful for 750k. Lot of reliance on Freedman at the moment though and we should not be a one man team.
Black looked sharp and keen when he came on. Defence in tatters, you have to question the decision to dump Rodger and retain Austin on last nights performances alone. Mullins looked good again, although I am not sure what Thompson contributes going forward.

My assesment for what its worth.

Icy
01-08-2002, 04:40 PM
In my opinion Ade looked a good signing, and much better partnership with Dougie than Johnson (who also looked good). Routledge also looked promising in the 2nd half, just **** of Thompson who looked wank!

cpfcben
01-08-2002, 04:41 PM
Johnson looked quite sharpe last night considering we continued to play the wanderful fluid passing game that TF has drilled into his team so succesfully (you can no longer use the excuse of the pitch being poor Francis you mupet) but please lets not resort to buying big donkeys to put up front! we need to be looking for young talent from lower devision teams and nurture them into becoming wanderfull players!:veryangry

Cleon
01-08-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Icy
In my opinion Ade looked a good signing, and much better partnership with Dougie than Johnson (who also looked good). Routledge also looked promising in the 2nd half, just **** of Thompson who looked wank!

We evidently have enough problems with Ade Akinbiyi & Aki, let alone allowing Dele Adebola into the equation as well!!

SHiggins
01-08-2002, 05:32 PM
Lets still give the fella a chance. He's been manager just over half a season. Not long enough to wish he gets sacked - surely we need some stability. My biggest worry though is his reliance on players who have failed or have been rejected for whatever reasons elsewhere. Lets get some promising players from the lower leagues. Wages should be lower and they may well play with more desire. Dont like going on about the past but thats how we built our team in the late 80's. If TF cant see that then may be we will have to have yet another change.

917L
01-08-2002, 06:04 PM
Thought Adebola looked reasonable and if his wage demands arent excessive a valuable squad player.

Thomson, Absolute Sh*te. Will never make it

Frampton, worse than Thomson!!!!(why are we persevering with him?)

Granville had a bad game but I dont think hes a bad player in general

Butterfield, the 4th time Ive seen him and undoubtedly his worst performance

AJ, maybe that cameo will shut the dissenters up, quick skillfull and aware 750k looks good value:)

Tommy Black, linked well with AJ and Dougie

Popovic, looked good but was trying to do the job of 3 men.

Not a great performance but we will not play anyone with that ability in the 1st and it was very muich played in a testamonial/friendly manner. Hoping Clowntown will be more competetive.

arussell
01-08-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by PeterH
I am not sure what Thompson contributes going forward.

I feel exactly the same way about Steve Thomson.

Daddy Long
01-08-2002, 06:37 PM
Tommy Black should have been on from the start instead of Thomson. He was the only Palace player all night to play a decent pass through the middle of the Spurs defense.

gjtango
01-08-2002, 06:46 PM
To say the very least, he was **** last night. Have some common sense Francis, dont sign some Birmingham reject!!:hmph:

917L
01-08-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by gjtango
To say the very least, he was **** last night. Have some common sense Francis, dont sign some Birmingham reject!!:hmph:

Have some common sense and dont post boll*x:rolleyes:

Celestial Empire
01-08-2002, 07:18 PM
Tommy Black should have been on from the start instead of Thomson. He was the only Palace player all night to play a decent pass through the middle of the Spurs defense.

It's an Arse/Spurs thang :rolleyes:

Ralph
01-08-2002, 07:44 PM
People will sit here and slag of Francis all day long but we cant even agree ourselves who was good and who was bad.

Adebola and Thomson looked no worse than anyone else last night. I thought Thomson did the basics Ok just nothing inspirational, to say he was SH!TE and should fnck off is in my eyes over the top.

Adebola did nothing wrong either. Won a few balls in the air, showed a couple of bits of skill to turn the defender, and is certainly not a plain old huffer!

Fleming was far and away our worst player in the first half along with Granville. Butterfield again seemed intelligent and cultured on the ball which could give us a promising midfield for the coming season.

Like i say this is just my opinion and it will differ from yours, and it will certainly differ from Francis' but we'll have to wait and see who knows best so lets not hound him out yet!

Beanie
01-08-2002, 08:46 PM

With out having seen him play, I'd guess that Shaun Derry will be in rather than Thomson, in fact Thomson would seem to be sliding down the list with Butterfield, Mullins and Aki ahead of him as well. Black is better wide and cutting in.

Daddy Long
01-08-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Beanie

Black is better wide and cutting in.

Indeed, but we started with 3 in midfield and wing backs. With Jolly and Mullins in there to tackle, Tommy could have been accomodated

7Ps
01-08-2002, 09:15 PM
Having seen him last night I would say give him a years contract and see how it goes. Play him alongside Freedman as first choice strikers. Akinbiyi and Johnson could be understudies, so to speak, for Adebola and Freedman respectively. As you've probably guessed I'm a great believer the striking strategy of one tricky player and one target man.

Now we need to get the wingers to actually find someone in the box.

Steve C
01-08-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by 7Ps
Having seen him last night I would say give him a years contract and see how it goes. Play him alongside Freedman as first choice strikers. Akinbiyi and Johnson could be understudies, so to speak, for Adebola and Freedman respectively. As you've probably guessed I'm a great believer the striking strategy of one tricky player and one target man.

Now we need to get the wingers to actually find someone in the box.
Totally agree, offer a one year deal with options for a further three.

nookiebear
01-08-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by OKnotOK

We've been through this before and it simply isn't true.

Birmingham Match Report of Play-off Final (http://www.bcfc.com/stats/view/postmatch_analysis/0,,10412,00.html)

Vaesen: Francis
Kenna: Bruce signed him permanently (he was initially on trial but can't remember who took him on trial)
Vickers: Bruce
Carter: Youth team
Johnson: Fry
Grainger: Signed in March 96, can't remember if that was Fry or Francis
Devlin: Bruce
Hughes: Francis
Tebily: Bruce
Mooney: Francis
Lazaridis: Francis
Horsfield: Francis
Johnson: Youth
John: Bruce

So Bruce signed 5 of the players that played that day. 2 were from the youth side. Fry signed 2 I think and Francis signed 5 of them (and also gave Carter and Johnson there first chances through the youth team).

That's still 7 players Bruce either bought or picked from the youth team that Trevor didn't before. That's still the majority of the starting 11.

CPFC Cheerleader Observer
01-08-2002, 10:57 PM
Judging him on last night's performance for us at Jolly's testimonial, All I will say is OH dear! :(

We need an out and out striker with Morrison gone, I think its safe to say that Adebola isnt that!

Ralph
01-08-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by CPFC Cheerleader Observer
Judging him on last night's performance for us at Jolly's testimonial, All I will say is OH dear! :(

We need an out and out striker with Morrison gone, I think its safe to say that Adebola isnt that!

You must be one hell of a scout to have come to that conclusion having seen him play as well as anyone in 60 mins when in a new team, against decent Premiership opposition, with a proven scoring record, and having not played for a season!

Well Done!

daz_eagle
01-08-2002, 11:47 PM
adebola was one of our better performers last night - give him a break for f*cks sake.

Jimbo ?
02-08-2002, 12:26 AM
If we do sign him - i will be first to suport him and give him a fair try (as i try to with all palace players) But I dont think he is really the player we want - I hope I am proved wrong!

02-08-2002, 12:32 AM

Message from Sir Alex: 'I've been looking for a scout like you who can weigh-up the qualities and capabilities of a footballer in a flash You would have saved us a fortune on Ferdinand. Name your own terms...........'

Captain Black
02-08-2002, 01:47 AM
The mixed opinions here are interesting. I thought Adebola looked OK, particularly considering the lousy service he was given. Signing him would give us something we haven't already got ie a target man.

I thought that a lot of Akinbiyi's problem last season was that he thrived on a different sort of service from Dougie and Clint who both liked the ball passed to feet - Johnson looks the same. Akinbiyi needs the ball in front of him to run on to. Adebola looks like he can hold the ball up as well as win it in the air. Worth a contract if the wages and his fitness are right.

palacefan_72
02-08-2002, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
He would be a good signing but i do fear the day when Akinbiyi and Adebola start up front together.

can just see them 2 strikin fear into defenders hearts!

altho i fink AA will do well if we get behind him! no booin! or 2 dele!

Ralph
02-08-2002, 02:50 AM
To be honest palacefan I could see both those two striking fear into defences. Christ knows why people have written Adebola off with his record, and Akinbiyi will give 110% as always so defenders will have to be on their toes. Remembering its gonna be the likes of Dyche and Roper they're up against and not Hyppia and Ferdinand!

Beanie
02-08-2002, 02:59 AM

I may be wrong but didn't I read that in Div 1 Clinton scored at 0.38 goals a game, and Adebola at 0.40. So, Adebola has a better strike rate that Clinton, and he did it mainly at Crewe, a team of perennial strugglers.

Hang The DJ
02-08-2002, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Captain Black
The mixed opinions here are interesting. I thought Adebola looked OK, particularly considering the lousy service he was given. Signing him would give us something we haven't already got ie a target man.

I thought that a lot of Akinbiyi's problem last season was that he thrived on a different sort of service from Dougie and Clint who both liked the ball passed to feet - Johnson looks the same. Akinbiyi needs the ball in front of him to run on to. Adebola looks like he can hold the ball up as well as win it in the air. Worth a contract if the wages and his fitness are right.

What an extremely sensible post amongst a lot of rubbish.l

RednBlue
02-08-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Hang The DJ

Originally posted by Captain Black

--------------------------------------------------

What an extremely sensible post amongst a lot of rubbish.l

Seconded. Given his lack of match practice over the last year, plus his length of time with the Palace team ie. 2 days max, I think he gave a creditable performance and looks a very good bet.

SHiggins
02-08-2002, 02:09 PM
Very fair points in favour of signing Adebola. A target man is vital to us particularly when our pitch becomes awful again after Christmas. He may well be good in the air but we badly need wingers who can provide decent crosses. Gray and Smith being my choice as I just dont rate Black - could Johnson be an option? Otherwise your not playing to the guy's strength, like the Gabiadinni fiasco. The four strikers we look set to have would be the envy of most in the first even with the loss of Clint. Glad to see Derry has certainly signed.

917L
02-08-2002, 02:11 PM
According to a quote atrtributed to TF in todays Advertiser he has signed and did so after after a 7 hour medical, there appeared to be no doubt that he is now a Palce player!

Lets hope it works out.;)

Stubby
02-08-2002, 02:19 PM
Very fair points in favour of signing Adebola. A target man is vital to us particularly when our pitch becomes awful again after Christmas. He may well be good in the air but we badly need wingers who can provide decent crosses. Gray and Smith being my choice as I just dont rate Black - could Johnson be an option? Otherwise your not playing to the guy's strength, like the Gabiadinni fiasco. The four strikers we look set to have would be the envy of most in the first even with the loss of Clint. Glad to see Derry has certainly signed.

WHAT ABOUT RUBINS?????

917L
02-08-2002, 02:24 PM

WHAT ABOUT RUBINS?????

Good point, thought he has played well in the friendlies I have seen, his actual crossing is far beter than Julians although he doesnt5 have the same defensive qualities. Would like to see him given a chance this season.

OKnotOK
02-08-2002, 02:29 PM

That's still 7 players Bruce either bought or picked from the youth team that Trevor didn't before. That's still the majority of the starting 11.

Bruce bought 5. Carter and Johnson were the 2 youth players and both of them Francis gave debuts to.

That makes Francis' contribution at least 7 players that players and Bruce's 5. Francis had the majority of the team and Bruce did not.

OKnotOK
02-08-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by 917L

Good point, thought he has played well in the friendlies I have seen, his actual crossing is far beter than Julians although he doesnt5 have the same defensive qualities. Would like to see him given a chance this season.

I'd like to see Rubins given a better chance. But I am not sure whether he deserves it at Gray's expense. I would love to see them both incorporated but just don't see how that can happen. Maybe ensure that Rubins gets a couple of runouts in pre-season while Gray isn't fit and see how he performs.

nookiebear
02-08-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by OKnotOK

Bruce bought 5. Carter and Johnson were the 2 youth players and both of them Francis gave debuts to.

That makes Francis' contribution at least 7 players that players and Bruce's 5. Francis had the majority of the team and Bruce did not.

Sounds like you know a bit more then me on it! :) The papers have done a good job then of making out had more of an impact on team selection then he actually did.

As for Adebola signing... Before the game on Weds, I had my doubts, but considering his long- lay-off, etc, and the fact he's on a free, I think it was a good performance and it's a good signing, probably as back-up at least. We need a target man like him to give us more options. Last year we missed out on the play-offs partly because the squad had very little depth. Four strikers should keep everyone on their toes.

Some people on the BBS, though, I don't think will give him chance, and won't be happy until we've signed Owen, Phillips, Van Nisterooy and Robbie keane up front. Which I'm sure will happen.

02-08-2002, 02:43 PM

I may be wrong but didn't I read that in Div 1 Clinton scored at 0.38 goals a game, and Adebola at 0.40. So, Adebola has a better strike rate that Clinton, and he did it mainly at Crewe, a team of perennial strugglers.

But under an excellent coach - Dario Gradi. He has had a good upbringing in the English game and could do a good job for us, if fully fit.

OKnotOK
02-08-2002, 02:44 PM

Sounds like you know a bit more then me on it! :) The papers have done a good job then of making out had more of an impact on team selection then he actually did.

As for Adebola signing... Before the game on Weds, I had my doubts, but considering his long- lay-off, etc, and the fact he's on a free, I think it was a good performance and it's a good signing, probably as back-up at least. We need a target man like him to give us more options. Last year we missed out on the play-offs partly because the squad had very little depth. Four strikers should keep everyone on their toes.

Some people on the BBS, though, I don't think will give him chance, and won't be happy until we've signed Owen, Phillips, Van Nisterooy and Robbie keane up front. Which I'm sure will happen.

I didn't know that much about it until I became determined to prove that TF was in fact a top quality manager (to convince myself that we could succeed and that Bruce was rubbish) so looked at all the player carefully who played and went through who signed them

I think Bruce's main impact was the way he got them playing. And the fact that Stern John kept coming up with some crucial goals. Vickers played alright but was also injured there. Bak was terrible. Tebily had a good second half of the season and made an impact. But it was just motivation for me more than anything else. And they still only just scraped into the play-offs in the end.

Adebola: Looked quite good to me on wednesday. Not fantastic but given (as mentioned) he's barely played in a year, he hasn't trained for ages, he hasn't played with any of his teammates, and he was playing premiership opposition. I thought he showed good touches and was quite impressed. Decent for a free and pretty cheap wages I would think

SHiggins
02-08-2002, 02:57 PM
I would like nothing more than Rubins to come good. I love players with pace but is far too lightweight. Except for his miracle goals a long time ago he hasnt done the business.

WHAT ABOUT RUBINS?????

PeterH
02-08-2002, 03:30 PM
7 hour medical, in one go. TF is boring the pants off him already. :)

Lets hope he stays fit for a prolonged time then or questions need to be asked.

If he has signed, good luck and do us proud.

MAX
02-08-2002, 05:00 PM
Based on what I saw I wouldn't want Palace to sign him even if it is a freebie.I appreciate that he is not match fit etc but he looked clumsy and awkward.Presumably he will get a run out against Charlton and we will all have a second chance to form an opinion.
Personally,I thought Johnson looked miles better and with his clear ability to win the ball in the air do we need someone like Adebola?
I must add,appreciating that this is not directly related, that Butterfield looked really sharp.He is clearly a very good addition to the squad.
We're going to do ok.

Clapham Grand
02-08-2002, 05:39 PM
I'm starting to feel a little more positive about the season now, just as long as we don't get walloped by PNE on the first day we should get off to a steady start

lees eagles
02-08-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by MAX
Based on what I saw I wouldn't want Palace to sign him even if it is a freebie.I appreciate that he is not match fit etc but he looked clumsy and awkward.Presumably he will get a run out against Charlton and we will all have a second chance to form an opinion.
Personally,I thought Johnson looked miles better and with his clear ability to win the ball in the air do we need someone like Adebola?
I must add,appreciating that this is not directly related, that Butterfield looked really sharp.He is clearly a very good addition to the squad.
We're going to do ok.

That is very harsh!

How nervous must he have been? Adebola had no club and was playing for a contract, could you perform under that much pressure?

Considering, the uncertainty surrounding his future I thought he played well and would be a great addition to our squad!!

Can't we just support our club!!!!

Gark Moldberg
02-08-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
I'm starting to feel a little more positive about the season now, just as long as we don't get walloped by PNE on the first day we should get off to a steady start

Based on the last two results there I wouldn't hold your breath.

Cleon
02-08-2002, 08:53 PM
Can't we just support our club!!!!

Yes, but that doesn't mean it is right to follow blindly, or without criticism.

I am British, and support Britain, but that doesn't mean I can't be critical of the Royal family, or the government.

Streatham man
02-08-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Cleon

Yes, but that doesn't mean it is right to follow blindly, or without criticism.

I am British, and support Britain, but that doesn't mean I can't be critical of the Royal family, or the government.

Well said. I have a tough time understanding the perspective of those on this board who think we should "support the club" and that translates into blind devotion, marching in lockstep and saluting TF and SJ prior to each match.

Another metaphor: if I were a devout Catholic, that wouldn't mean that I shouldn't be critical of some of the Bishops here in the States who seemed too tolerant as far as how they dealt with the priests who were abusing children. It also means that I can be a good Catholic and still think that alter girls should be accepted, or that women should be admitted into the priesthood.

I'm Palace through and through but that doesn't mean that I can't have a point of view or disagree on certain decisions that are being made. That's what makes the BBS so interesting and stimulating!

When I'm at Selhurst, I give the lads on the pitch only the most positive support.

lees eagles
02-08-2002, 11:06 PM
However, is it justified criticism when people say he shouldn't be offered a contract on the basis of 70 minutes, when the team are experimenting with new ideas, playing against premiership opposition??

The answer is NO, it isn't justified!

This is not blind devotion and support, this is about being rational!

Streatham man
02-08-2002, 11:16 PM
However, is it justified criticism when people say he shouldn't be offered a contract on the basis of 70 minutes, when the team are experimenting with new ideas, playing against premiership opposition??

The answer is NO, it isn't justified!

This is not blind devotion and support, this is about being rational!

I agree with you -- it probably isn't justified. I was making a more general point.

freekickuk
03-08-2002, 01:43 AM
has had a bad knock and will not be match fit yet may have looked slugish against spurs but you cant argue with a goal every other game.

Celestial Empire
03-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand

Is that a quote from Howard Wilkinson ?
;)

Celestial Empire
03-08-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Streatham man

Well said. I have a tough time understanding the perspective of those on this board who think we should "support the club" and that translates into blind devotion, marching in lockstep and saluting TF and SJ prior to each match.

Another metaphor: if I were a devout Catholic, that wouldn't mean that I shouldn't be critical of some of the Bishops here in the States who seemed too tolerant as far as how they dealt with the priests who were abusing children. It also means that I can be a good Catholic and still think that alter girls should be accepted, or that women should be admitted into the priesthood.

I'm Palace through and through but that doesn't mean that I can't have a point of view or disagree on certain decisions that are being made. That's what makes the BBS so interesting and stimulating!

When I'm at Selhurst, I give the lads on the pitch only the most positive support.

I'm confused, are you a devout Catholic or a Palace supporter ?
:confused:
Please make up your mind before the season starts.

glaziers fan
05-08-2002, 01:47 AM

Tommy Black has done a 'Julian Gray', ie has done brilliantly in pre-season. Let's hope he is rewarded in the same way that Bruce rewarded Julian.

Beanie
05-08-2002, 02:57 AM
Seems Adebola has not signed, contrary to reports, but TF wants to sort something out. Been trying to get SJ agreement - but SJ won't answer his phone in Spain, where he is on business.

source - TF at open day.

Levski
05-08-2002, 07:30 PM
Been trying to get SJ agreement - but SJ won't answer his phone in Spain, where he is on business.

Doing some great 'business' then, if he wont turn his phone on!
Sheeesh.

Jordan's Jacket
05-08-2002, 08:34 PM
I thought Adebola was ok. Given the poor service and the lack of wing play, he did at least try and link up the play. I do, however, think that he likes the ball in the air and as a result I do think he lends himself to a more direct type of game. He maybe useful on the bench, to come and throw his weight around, but I wouldn't like to see the team, which is not without skill, being forced to circumvent the midfiled and play long "searching" balls from defence.

All in all, a useful player to be played late on in games as defences tire.

Beanie
05-08-2002, 08:35 PM

Doing some great 'business' then, if he wont turn his phone on!
Sheeesh.

I NEVER have my mobile on in a business meeting, and if anybody I was meeting with took a call they'd be right out of the picture. It's all a matter of what is important at the time.

Pistike
05-08-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by MAX
but he looked clumsy and awkward.

I thought being awkward was seen as his strength.

Eagle
06-08-2002, 03:54 AM
After speaking to Dele as he was leaving the ground this evening he was very hopeful that he would be a Palace player this week.
He said that he will be being offered 'something' when they sit and discuss a permanent contract on wednesday, i guess thats when Jordan returns from Spain, and early thoughts from Francis and Jordan are that they want to keep him and will offer him something to stay here.
Said he really enjoyed his little run out this evening and played better than what he did the other night against Spurs and his getting his fitness back on track.
He said it felt nice aswell to hear the crowd chanting his name after just 2 appearances.
Overall he is hopeful he will stay and i think us the fans want him to stay now, lets just hope Francis and Jordan feel the same way.

Jaffa
06-08-2002, 03:56 AM
Adebola had a good game, he has something that we dont have in our other strikers.

SKATE
06-08-2002, 04:16 AM
I hope he signs. ON tonights performance a v useful addition to the sqaud :p

OKnotOK
06-08-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by SKATE
I hope he signs. ON tonights performance a v useful addition to the sqaud :p

I agree. I thought all 3 striking options we made use of yesterday looked good. Johnson in particular impressed me and I was a little disappointed he didn't get a goal.

Adebola looked strong and bloody quick as well. And I felt he linked up really well with Johnson and could do the same with Dougie.

I hope he signs soon cos others might get interested after his performances for us.

Daddy Long
06-08-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Eagle
He said it felt nice aswell to hear the crowd chanting his name after just 2 appearances.

Isn't it amazing how 2 similar players can be received so differently by the Palace faithful. Akinbiyi and Adebola are both strong, fast, awkward, 100% and slightly clumsy players. One is villified from the off whilst the other is cheered and hasn't even signed yet. It is a shame for Ade that he is a victim of his price tag, the one thing that he doesn't have any control over (well that and the ball ;) )

I hope we give Ade a great reception when he returns from injury and wipe the slate clean for our promotion season :)

Sick Bucket
06-08-2002, 03:03 PM

I hope we give Ade a great reception when he returns from injury and wipe the slate clean for our promotion season :)

Damn right.

Lion
06-08-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Sick Bucket

Damn right.

Innit.

Dartford Lad
06-08-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Eagle
After speaking to Dele as he was leaving the ground this evening he was very hopeful that he would be a Palace player this week.
He said that he will be being offered 'something' when they sit and discuss a permanent contract on wednesday, i guess thats when Jordan returns from Spain, and early thoughts from Francis and Jordan are that they want to keep him and will offer him something to stay here.
Said he really enjoyed his little run out this evening and played better than what he did the other night against Spurs and his getting his fitness back on track.
Overall he is hopeful he will stay and i think us the fans want him to stay now, lets just hope Francis and Jordan feel the same way.

Yeah He said the same to me after the game about sorting something out on Wednesday.

I thought he worked well with AJ but didn't seem to be on the same wavelength as Tommy Black!

I would definately be pleased if he signed. :)

SHiggins
06-08-2002, 04:00 PM

Isn't it amazing how 2 similar players can be received so differently by the Palace faithful. Akinbiyi and Adebola are both strong, fast, awkward, 100% and slightly clumsy players. One is villified from the off whilst the other is cheered and hasn't even signed yet. It is a shame for Ade that he is a victim of his price tag, the one thing that he doesn't have any control over (well that and the ball ;) )

I reckon it just that fans thought the large transfer fee, and presumably wages, on Akimbiyi was spent on the wrong player at the time (and not Greenacre of Mansfield for example). I dont think the initial slagging was necessarily aimed at him but those that had signed him. It was GREAT to see the crowd getting behind him as the season went on, particularly vs Walsall. Adebola on the other hand is a freebie so doesnt have quite the same pressure to produce. Assuming Adebola signs that gives us 4 good strikers for this league at least which will be the envy of most and certainly more depth than at the start of last season.

PeterH
06-08-2002, 04:03 PM
Tongue in cheek warning. So we can be going along nicely with Freedman, Johnson and Adebola until November and bring in Ade to break up a winning formula again. How many points do we need to be clear to not completely screw it up with this approach, just so management can prove a point (or not prove it as was the case).

Not having a pop at Ade honestly. I like him as a Palace player. But I can see us setting ourselves up for exactly the same as last year, I think if it occurs again I will just laugh about it cause there would be nothing else you could do.

Raoul Duke
06-08-2002, 04:47 PM
overall people seem to be happy with the possible arrivival of Adebola. In that case can someone change the title of the thread.

The 'oh dear' bit doesn't sound quite right.

Pistike
06-08-2002, 04:47 PM
Adebola had a good game, he has something that we dont have in our other strikers.

And what might that be Jaffa?

A good singing voice perhaps? Or possibly an impressive stamp collection? Is it his ability to get on the end of crosses and his physical presence? Or perhaps its his ability to rustle up a good quick-fry from the seemingly meagre ingredients in his fridge?

Selhurst300
06-08-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Pistike

And what might that be Jaffa?

A good singing voice perhaps? Or possibly an impressive stamp collection? Is it his ability to get on the end of crosses and his physical presence? Or perhaps its his ability to rustle up a good quick-fry from the seemingly meagre ingredients in his fridge?

But I thought the Doog was very good on stir-fries, so it can't be that.

Pistike
06-08-2002, 04:59 PM
and you should see Kabba's stamp collection! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Streatham man
06-08-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by PeterH
Tongue in cheek warning. So we can be going along nicely with Freedman, Johnson and Adebola until November and bring in Ade to break up a winning formula again. How many points do we need to be clear to not completely screw it up with this approach, just so management can prove a point (or not prove it as was the case).

Not having a pop at Ade honestly. I like him as a Palace player. But I can see us setting ourselves up for exactly the same as last year, I think if it occurs again I will just laugh about it cause there would be nothing else you could do.

I hadn't even thought of this "lightning strikes twice" scenario, but it scares the you know what out of me! It will be interesting to see if TF can learn from his mistakes, or if he's just a stubborn git! In some ways, let's hope that he will be faced with this situation.:p

P P P Palace
06-08-2002, 05:12 PM
I thought Adebola had a good game and it would be good to see him join on a permanant basis.

AJ and Doug are too small to play against all teams and with Akinbyi out.. A big fella is needed

Beanie
06-08-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by P P P Palace
I thought Adebola had a good game and it would be good to see him join on a permanant basis.

AJ and Doug are too small to play against all teams and with Akinbyi out.. A big fella is needed

I agree about Dele - but one point about AJ. He is indeed about the only player that Wayne Routledge can look in the eye at what? 5'4" or so, but he did out jump Richard Rufus twice last night, not too sure how he managed it!

palacenut
06-08-2002, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeterH
[B]Tongue in cheek warning. So we can be going along nicely with Freedman, Johnson and Adebola until November and bring in Ade to break up a winning formula again. How many points do we need to be clear to not completely screw it up with this approach, just so management can prove a point (or not prove it as was the case).

Fair enough, but what are the chances that all 3 get to November without any injuries, Slim.:p

Chantelle
06-08-2002, 11:40 PM
so is adebola a palace player now then??? im confused!!
my brother is a big crewe fan and says he a good player - good left foot - only weakness is that he isnt always brave for such a big bloke

Crate
07-08-2002, 01:38 AM
Not quite. If I've got it right, TF wants to sign him up, and the plan is that he'll be offered something when SJ gets back tomorrow from his travels. But maybe someone else knows different....

Beanie
07-08-2002, 02:52 AM
I'd agree with that. Seems the first things SJ has to do on his return is sort out Dele Adebola and Darren Powell.

arussell
07-08-2002, 04:20 AM
Contrary to press reports today - nothing will have been sorted out yet, since Jordan is currently home in Spain, and Francis and Kember were where I was today - watching Surrey play cricket at Whitgift school (as were one or two of the squad).

PeterH
07-08-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by palacenut
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeterH
[B]Fair enough, but what are the chances that all 3 get to November without any injuries, Slim.:p

Don't call me Slim. :p

07-08-2002, 10:54 PM

I agree about Dele - but one point about AJ. He is indeed about the only player that Wayne Routledge can look in the eye at what? 5'4" or so, but he did out jump Richard Rufus twice last night, not too sure how he managed it!
According to the last Rothman's Year Book AJ is 5ft.7ins. They tell us Michael Owen in 5ft.8ins. Routledge is around 5ft.6ins.

Jason
08-08-2002, 10:46 PM
So is there any news. Has he signed, and if not, is he expected to so ?. If he is, when, nd if not, why not ?

RichieG
08-08-2002, 10:48 PM
So, as Powell has just signed, yet there's no more news on Adebola does that mean he's holding out for big wages?

Surely if Jordan was negotiating packages then he'd do them same day?

Streatham man
08-08-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by freddykurz

According to the last Rothman's Year Book AJ is 5ft.7ins. They tell us Michael Owen in 5ft.8ins. Routledge is around 5ft.6ins.

How tall is Maradona? About 5 ft 4?

ROCK'N'ROLL
08-08-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Jason
So is there any news. Has he signed, and if not, is he expected to so ?. If he is, when, nd if not, why not ?

With Darren Powell having now been confirmed as a palace player, I assume they will now make priority to more in-depth talks with Adebola about his future in a palace shirt.

But only time will tell.

Beanie
09-08-2002, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by RichieG
Surely if Jordan was negotiating packages then he'd do them same day?

Doubt he'd try to work on two deals at the same time, certainly not in depth. These deals can get complicated, he'd end up putting half Powell's package in Adebola contract and vice versa. I would guess we have a more immediate need for a centre back for Saturday, so that came first. Adebola next I'd guess.

Justy C
09-08-2002, 03:25 PM
To be eligible for the game tomorrow, what time does he have to be registered with the Football League? Is it midday or 5pm?

Gooders
09-08-2002, 03:37 PM
Either way, it doesn't look likely now does it?

Beanie
09-08-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Justy C
To be eligible for the game tomorrow, what time does he have to be registered with the Football League? Is it midday or 5pm?

Don't think that's a factor. We'll start with Dougie and Johnson up front. Adebola would have been nice on the bench, but if he doesn't I'd guess it will be Tommy Black as the sub striker or just possibly Kabba, but I doubt that.

Jason
09-08-2002, 08:48 PM
To play for us he only has to be registered as a player. he could sign non - contract forms and play, while a proper contract is sorted out. Therefore if TF wanted him in the squad tomorrow, the lack of a contract may not have been a problem

Justy C
10-08-2002, 01:44 PM
Well no anouncements from the club and he isn't in the squad mentioned on www.cpfc.co.uk travelling to Preston. A little disappointed that he isn't there as he has looked good, hopefully something can be worked out in time for the Bradford game on Tuesday night.

sydney eagle
10-08-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Streatham man

How tall is Maradona? About 5 ft 4? No thats how wide Maradona is:D

trufan
11-08-2002, 01:00 AM
Tomorrow's News of the World reports Adebola has "snubbed" our offer and is now being chased by Wednesday, Barnsley, Wigan and Crewe. :(

Stubby
11-08-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by trufan
Tomorrow's News of the World reports Adebola has "snubbed" our offer and is now being chased by Wednesday, Barnsley, Wigan and Crewe. :(

Wow if thats who he wants to go to then let him SOD OFF - he's going to go a long way with them

trufan
11-08-2002, 05:40 AM
Perhaps I should add that the offer he turned down was reported to be "derisory". Shurely shum mishtake . . . :rolleyes:

What?
11-08-2002, 05:51 PM
This sounds familiar! SJ's stingyness does it again!

JonnyF
11-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by What?

Yeah he's so tight isn't he! :clown: :clown:

hairy beasts
11-08-2002, 07:29 PM
Is SJ tight or is he just thinking about the long term stability of the club. If players were brought in on big wages we would (potentially) have the same situation as we did under Goldberg.
We have also just unloaded the likes of Hopkin to reduce the wage bill.I'm all for payig players what they are worth but Adebola's been out injured for a year and a good pre-season isn't enough to justify the tag 'quality striker', I would have liked to see him come in on a reasonable wage with a goals related bonus, then if he is that good he could earn good wages by effort.

BUNGLE
11-08-2002, 07:52 PM
SJ and TF are right, we shouldn't be held to ransom, he will only be a 4th choice striker, his not young and with the money problems in football Adebola and all other players will need to realise that there wages are going to have to start going backwards.

Selhurst300
11-08-2002, 08:09 PM

Can't see them offering a better offer than us.

Jimbo ?
11-08-2002, 09:34 PM
Why go for proven failures - lets invest!!! Luke Rodgers or a D3 striker Jansen like

Jimbo ?
11-08-2002, 09:35 PM
Why go for proven failures - lets invest!!! Luke Rodgers or a D3 striker Jansen like

WE must still have some money we could spend from the Morrison sale

Ralph
11-08-2002, 09:50 PM
...is now being chased by Wednesday, Barnsley, Wigan and Crewe. :(

Well lets face it the cost of renting a place in any of those palces compared to London is far cheaper so if they can atleast match our offer he would, financially atleast, be better of joining them.

11-08-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by hairy beasts
.....I would have liked to see him come in on a reasonable wage with a goals related bonus, then if he is that good he could earn good wages by effort.

Excellent Post Hairy, I'm with you on this one. :p

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/fart.gif

Welling Neil
12-08-2002, 12:50 AM
Interesting. I heard that the reason Powell's transfer hit a stumbling block was because he had spoken to Lloyd Owusu who told him how much Palace offered when he was on a free. Apparantly, Powell was expecting a similar offer.

Bearing in mind also AJ's wage demands saga, it looks like SJ is trying to keep down the level of wages we pay, and quite right too.

It does make me laugh a little. With all the talk of the lack of TV money, clubs in debt, and players without clubs, players still in the game are still trying to command high salaries that clubs clearly cannot afford.

It will be interesting to see if Ade eventually signs, once he realises that the money is no longer out there.

nookiebear
12-08-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by What?

Or perhaps he is aware of the mess other clubs have got themselves into by paying players big wages and massive contracts. Fancy administration again? I don't.

He's signed another 4 players this pre-season already and has backed both Bruce and Smith with transfers, and now Francis. I'd hardly call him stingy.

hairy beasts
12-08-2002, 01:56 AM
BUMGAS Thank you for your support I feel positively flatulent with pride
:p :p :p

Palace Don
12-08-2002, 01:59 AM
So is there any official news on this yet? Has he or hasnt he?

Anyone know more? :rolleyes:

Boris the charltonhater
12-08-2002, 12:50 PM

I'm assuming you have misssed all pre-season friendlies with your comment that Adebola is a proven failure. And who's Luke Rodgers?

We must still have some money we could spend from the Morrison sale

400,000 on Powell, 600,000 on Derry, 350,000 on Butterfield, 750,000 on Johnson. We lost nearly two million due to ITV digital and we probably haven't paid Leicester fuly for Akinbiyi yet.

Martin H
12-08-2002, 12:53 PM
Wouldn't take this as the final word but Big Trev said this when being interviewed about the match on Saturday:

As Dele decided not to join us, I had to prevent Kabba from going to Grimsby," Francis said.

Well that is how it was reported.

Optimism or pessimism defines what conclusion you draw.

It would be great to have Dele at Palace but wages are always likely to be a problem. Movement of the players expectations are always going to be behind the club's in the current situation. The questions Dele should ask himself are maybe - who can afford him? and the number of players he is competing with for places is going to rise not fall over the coming 12 months, as the lower Premier sides slim their squads down - isn't he better with a contract now?

Cleon
12-08-2002, 01:19 PM
I 100% agree with not being held to ransom. If Adebola can get a better offer elsewhere, with a club of similar potential, then let him go. There are a lot of good players out there who would be very excited by the option of playing for Palace, and I still stick by what I said three weeks ago - we've still got Kabba and Williams. And reports seem to indicate that Johnson's injury isn't as bad as first feared.

And Mr Kabba didn't prove too bad on Saturday.

GOD
12-08-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Boris the charltonhater
I'm assuming you have misssed all pre-season friendlies with your comment that Adebola is a proven failure. And who's Luke Rodgers?

Adebola was s**t against Spurs, as were most the team I know, but he just ran around like a headless chicken! OK so he did well against some none league team WOW!

ps I don't know who Luke Rogers is either ;)

Gooders
12-08-2002, 01:34 PM
I thought God knew everybody.

Htht-H
12-08-2002, 01:46 PM
He must be one of the only players that doesn't realise that the transfer window has changed this year, so DA let me explain one or two things to you. If you have not accepted a club's offer within the next three weeks, you will be unemployed until January 2003 . At that time you will join a mass of players who will be desperate to move to new clubs. The football clubs will be able to pick and choose from a wealth of talent.

My suggestion is that you speak again with CPFC and hope that the origonal offer still stands - sign with them and score lots of goals. Only then will you be able to negotiate with CPFC on your wage demands.

pedro
12-08-2002, 02:01 PM
It appears alot of players these days care less about a club's potential and more about what 'they' are getting out of it. The words 'loyalty' and 'ambition' are hardly used nowadays and have been replaced by the words 'selfish' and 'greedy'. The Bosman ruling was set up to give players the freedom of contract and the effect of this is starting to hit home, the collapse of ITV Digital has only speeded up the process.
A typical example is Sol Campbell. Admittedly he was a good servant to Tottenham but here is a player rated at 10-15m who just walked out on a club for nothing and received a big financial 'thank you' from Arsenal. Now, Tottenham are not a poor club but they have had to cut their cloth accordingly as well as finding themselves in a 'Catch 22' situation. Stephen Carr could be the next player to leave as he is frustrated at the inability to hold on to the top players and he too now wants to play for a 'big team'. The result is the big clubs will only get stronger as they sign top players on the cheap at the expense of the average clubs.
The situation is worse in the Nationwide as alot of clubs chase the same players who are good Div 1 material but lack the ability to be a success in the Premiership. Strikers in particular know that if they have a good season and help their team get promoted to the Premiership they are likely to be replaced by a more high profile name (eg Anelka to Man City and Morrison to Brum). Therefore their ambition has been replaced with a mercenary type approach of go where the money is.
Asaba turns down the chance to play for the club he supports and who have far more chance of being promoted and instead moves all the way up North away from his family to play for Sheff Utd, why, because of the money. The same can be said for Owusu and now Adebola.
It has to be said that with the Premiership becoming a world wide league and players from all parts of the globe plying their trade here (even from places like Senegal, China, Guinea and Ukraine) the average Nationwide striker has had to re evaluate his goals and dreams and has replaced his trophy cabinet at home with a nice big piggy bank.(rightly or wrongly depending on who you ask.)
Whether a player leaves on a Bosman or is released from his contract he has the freedom to get the best 'financial' deal for themselves and that is what they are doing.

GOD
12-08-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
I thought God knew everybody.

He must be going down stairs :o

arussell
12-08-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Htht-H
He must be one of the only players that doesn't realise that the transfer window has changed this year,

Only for premier league clubs. The ruling doesn't affect those in the Nationwide league (despite what Preston's programme seemed to think).

glaziers fan
12-08-2002, 03:00 PM

No but we have effective back up for when they go through the inevitable lean patch.

I believe Morrison didnt score in something like 20 games last season, so how pleasant it would have been to have had an effective backup.

Morrison is one of the best finishers in the country. But he can only finish when he gets chances. They did occur as regularly as they should have done whilst TF was in charge. Give Adebola/Johnson/Akinbiyi 30 games under Francis, Morrison 30 games in the Premier League (a better league I'm sure you'll agree), and then let's look at goals to games ratios for the strikers!

GOD
12-08-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by arussell

Only for premier league clubs. The ruling doesn't affect those in the Nationwide league (despite what Preston's programme seemed to think).

at the moment it DOES affect the FL but they are apealing to UEFA

Htht-H
12-08-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by GOD

at the moment it DOES affect the FL but they are apealing to UEFA

Thank you "GOD" - thought i was right :angel:

Clapham Grand
12-08-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Boris the charltonhater

Plays for Shrewsbury - good striker but one big temperament problem, sent off numerous times last season

Cleon
12-08-2002, 05:46 PM
Looks like he's not coming, and I'm not overally fussed:

Eagles set to give up on Adebola
By Alan Nixon

Trevor Francis is keeping the door open for Dele Adebola to join Crystal Palace - but does not expect him to walk through it.
Francis tried to reunite with the former Birmingham City striker last week, but the move fell down over the Nigerian's wage demands.

Instead, the Palace manager called Steve Kabba into his squad and the youngster came on to score a spectacular winner in the 2-1 defeat of Preston at Deepdale.

Now Francis seems ready to give up on Adebola. He said: 'There is no agreement unless he and his agent reconsider, but I don't see that happening.'

Preston manager Craig Brown watched his team crash to a harsh defeat and was left to reflect on the display of new striker Ricardo Fuller, whose opener was cancelled out by Darren Powell.

Brown said: 'He's an exciting player and it's a pity his goal wasn't the winner, as it deserved to be.'

Neither side looked promotion material and a lack of money means Francis and Brown have little scope to improve their squads.

From soccernet today

NewRoadBee
12-08-2002, 05:53 PM
sounds like players are going to have to get real and be grateful for what they get offered these days.

I did hear that DP`s salary wasn`t "out of this world" although obviously a rise.
However our ex captain Paul Evans (now Bradford on a 4 year contract) is rumoured to be on the same money he was on at Brentford which was probably around 75,000 a year.

Our keeper Oli turned down a 2 year contract at Stockport in favour of seeing out the 12 months he has here (he`s on a free).

Some footballers are finding out what the real world is like. Not before time :rolleyes:

Diehard
13-08-2002, 12:47 AM
Adebola can stick it up his jacksy. Notice that its the foreign players who still expect to pull in big money. It is arguably the influx of overseas players that have caused the overheating of the English game. Let him push off to some other mugs like Portsmouth who seem to encourage overrated has beens to feather their pockets.
Well done Trev and Simon for not signing him.
Well done Steve Kabba for proving that we don't need him either.

freekickuk
13-08-2002, 01:07 AM
shame would have been a usfull player for palace but we dont need greed and hope he has good savings as no one is paying him now.

Justy C
13-08-2002, 01:29 AM
In the past this club has signed players that appeared to be on comfortable wages and then didn't perform. Its good to hear (apparently) that the club aren't paying silly money anymore. Adebola would have been good but if he thinks Wigan, Sheff Wed, Barnsley are better options and will pay silly money then good luck to him - just bear this in mind Dele, they might not be there in 12 months time, footballs bubble has burst.

Go on the Kabba!!!

Steve C
13-08-2002, 10:55 AM
I would have liked to have seen him in a Palace shirt full time,but not if it upsets the stablity of the club and or the wage structure.

Dobbo
13-08-2002, 11:45 AM
Just read that the reason Lee Marshall hasn't moved from Leicester to West Brom is that he wasn't prepared to halve his current 8,000 a week - reality check please.....what the **** were Leicester doing paying a bit part player 8.000 !!!

Who Cares?
13-08-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Dobbo
Just read that the reason Lee Marshall hasn't moved from Leicester to West Brom is that he wasn't prepared to halve his current 8,000 a week - reality check please.....what the **** were Leicester doing paying a bit part player 8.000 !!!

True..even 4k a week (>200k p.a) sounds generous.

Dobbo
13-08-2002, 01:45 PM
Similarly, Herman H. stalling as he doesn't want to cut his current EIGHTEEN GRAND a week !!!!

SHiggins
13-08-2002, 01:55 PM
Similarly, Herman H. stalling as he doesn't want to cut his current EIGHTEEN GRAND a week !!!!

I'm staggered its taken so long for clubs to realise they cant afford to pay this kind of money. And guess who pays for chunks of it .... yes us!
Makes me laugh when I hear how "loyal" certain players are to there clubs - only because nobody else will pay them more.

RichieG
13-08-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan

Morrison is one of the best finishers in the country. But he can only finish when he gets chances. They did occur as regularly as they should have done whilst TF was in charge. Give Adebola/Johnson/Akinbiyi 30 games under Francis, Morrison 30 games in the Premier League (a better league I'm sure you'll agree), and then let's look at goals to games ratios for the strikers!

Change the ******** record you prat, Francis is a quality manager and he will prove it over the course of the season, you on the other hand really ought to go and support the Seaweeds with your attitude.

Cleon
13-08-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by RichieG
Francis is a quality manager

Until he proves it, the jury will remain out.

Del Gland
13-08-2002, 02:22 PM

I'm staggered its taken so long for clubs to realise they cant afford to pay this kind of money. And guess who pays for chunks of it .... yes us!
Makes me laugh when I hear how "loyal" certain players are to there clubs - only because nobody else will pay them more.

As one of the many that have been priced out of supporting their team after 40 odd years, this gives me some consolation. Whereas football was a pastime, it is now a career path for the more talented. Just like any industry it is suspicious how many sons play for their dad's team. I can't believe that they are all that good! As so many of them are now money grabbing boogers, I feel pleased that I am not helping them.

My career in IT has been hit big-time over the last few years and the future is very uncertain. To stay employed, I have had to make several decisions to accept less money. This is why I will be sitting at home glued to Teletext tonight instead of being at Selhurst.

Even when it all levels out and clubs start to pay lower wages, I still cannot see the price of attending football ever dropping. That's when the greed of the people that run the clubs, and are complaining now, will take over.

It's all depressing really. I can't believe that I have been forced to become someone that I have always despised, an "armchair supporter".

RichieG
13-08-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Cleon

Until he proves it, the jury will remain out.

Fair enough, but some people on here seem to want him to fail, and I just don't get that.

As someone on here said the other day, would you rather have Alan Smith? I just think some people have deeply unrealistic aspirations about who we could attract here as a manager, and of what constitutes a good performance.

Will the forebears of darkness be calling for the mans head if we finish 7th? I do hope not, this is a tough league to get out of!

Duke
13-08-2002, 05:12 PM

If that's true it's disgracful.

but from the reports I have seen Herman doesn't want to move purely cos he doesn't want to face relegation again

which is fair enough

also doesn't want to move his young family so will stay and fight for promotion with the Tractor boys.

Good on ya Herman :p

Raoul Duke
13-08-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Del Gland

As one of the many that have been priced out of supporting their team after 40 odd years, this gives me some consolation. Whereas football was a pastime, it is now a career path for the more talented. Just like any industry it is suspicious how many sons play for their dad's team. I can't believe that they are all that good! As so many of them are now money grabbing boogers, I feel pleased that I am not helping them.

My career in IT has been hit big-time over the last few years and the future is very uncertain. To stay employed, I have had to make several decisions to accept less money. This is why I will be sitting at home glued to Teletext tonight instead of being at Selhurst.

Even when it all levels out and clubs start to pay lower wages, I still cannot see the price of attending football ever dropping. That's when the greed of the people that run the clubs, and are complaining now, will take over.

It's all depressing really. I can't believe that I have been forced to become someone that I have always despised, an "armchair supporter".

Post of the Day! :)

yorkshire eagle
14-08-2002, 02:53 PM
live not far from ipswich and have loads of (sad) ipawich surporting friends appeartly herman is on 17,000 per week and is due a bonus sometime in september of (this is unconfirmed) around 50,000?????:eek: work that out west brom only offered him 10,000 (only!) and no bonus,s like ipswich wrote into his contract:eek:

The EEEAAAGGGLLLEEE!!!
14-08-2002, 05:32 PM
Just found this on Yahoo Sport.

Palace clinch Adebola deal

Crystal Palace have signed Dele Adebola on a one-year contract, subject to his completing a medical.
The former Birmingham striker was on trial at Selhurst Park in a bid to earn a permanent deal.

Negotiations stalled after boss Trevor Francis claimed Adebola's wage demands were too high.

What?
14-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Now this is being reported on Sky Sports news as well as the Wise transfer. Sounds good to me, but i dont like these 1 year contracts for players younger than 32.

Jimbo ?
14-08-2002, 07:26 PM
Welcome dele - lets hope our Super Eagles Strike Force can do the business!!!!

SHiggins
14-08-2002, 08:01 PM
Welcome dele - lets hope our Super Eagles Strike Force can do the business!!!!

Glad he's joined us - presumably now on sensible wages - gives the valuable option of a target man particularly when the pitches get crap. Also thought vs Bradford we missed an aerial threat from open play.