PDA

View Full Version : Simon Rodger

Beck
02-08-2002, 01:36 PM
According to our local paper, Simon Rodger (who has been training with us since preseason started) is playing for Woking in the match against Palace tonight.

I know you all rate him quite highly and he said he would not rule out signing for Woking - but I am not holding out much hope. However, would you agree that he would be a class act in the Conference?

We have also had Scott Gooding on trial with us, but he's not been impressive. Rob Kember looks like a decent player, though. Chris Sharpling is now playing on the wing and I think Jon Boardman will be a regular starter for us as the season gets underway. Roscoe D'Sane has signed for Aldershot (as you probably know), but in all honesty I thought he was a little bit lightweight.

Are many of you coming to Woking tonight?

Cardsweb (http://www.cardsweb.co.uk)

RichieG
02-08-2002, 01:38 PM
Simon Rodger is a class act in the first division.

He will set the conference alight, no doubt. If you sign him you'll be thanking your lucky stars by September.

Beck
02-08-2002, 01:49 PM
Crikey.

To be honest, I am actually quite surprised that he's said he wouldn't rule it out. Perhaps part of the reason he's playing for us tonight is that he thinks there may be scouts watching, or something like that.

I would really love him to sign - he's left-footed isn't he?

RichieG
02-08-2002, 01:53 PM
Left footed, can play anywhere from left back to central midfield, and one of the best dead ball strikers we had at the club last season.

Best position is left wing / left of central midfield pairing, very combative great crosser and corner taker, half decent shot.

I wish Francis would sign him back up! :veryangry

Justy C
02-08-2002, 01:54 PM
Left footed he is indeed and a very good one at that, especially with his delivery at set pieces.

Please don't take this the wrong way and no disrespect but he can do a hell of a lot better than Woking. I was going to say that if he did sign for Woking then I didn't think you'd actually have him for too long before a nationwide league team came in for him but then I remembered about the transfer windows (31st August deadline I think).

A very good and consistent player.

KentishEagle
02-08-2002, 01:56 PM
Woking tonight???? I thought we only had clowntown left?? What time is kick-off?? Anyone going?

Beck
02-08-2002, 02:01 PM
Justy: Oh no, I wouldn't take it the wrong way. I don't really expect him to sign but you never know, do you? Maybe the transfer market is a bit different after ITV Digital. We've actually had some pretty decent triallists so far but I do think that if Rodger signed he would be one of the best players in the Conference, like Mike Marsh was.

Kick-off is 7:45pm.

917L
02-08-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by RichieG
Simon Rodger is a class act in the first division.

Rose tinted glasses perhaps?;)

BUNGLE
02-08-2002, 05:54 PM
Average average average, but more than good enough for the conference.

christmas ape
02-08-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by 917L

couldnt agree more, i love the bloke, and good for him to stick with us for so long... though lack of interest from other clubs might have as much to do with that anything... but class act? hmmm not sold on that one.
either way would do a job at woking.

SIKO
02-08-2002, 06:02 PM
Glen Cockerel is making sweeping changes at your club, and I wouldnt be too surprised if you become promotion contenders.

Beck
02-08-2002, 06:18 PM
I am very impressed with Glenn Cockerill actually ... I think he's the kick up the arse that Woking needed.

Ralph
02-08-2002, 06:37 PM
Simon Rodger has at no time looked out of his depth in the First Division and even made a few very strong performances in the Premiership (thats not to say he is Premiership standard). He is at best an average first division player but far far too good for the Conference! I can not believe he has nt found a professional club!

RichieG
02-08-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by 917L

Fair point, but I make no apologies for my tint, he deserves it.

SHiggins
02-08-2002, 07:18 PM
Simon Rodger has been terrific - everyone knows that. However last year he was often part of our very slow midfield. A year or two ago he would have found a pro club in no time but all clubs, and certainly those in divs 2 and 3, just cant afford another wage on the books.