PDA

View Full Version : AJ and SD

hairy beasts
03-08-2002, 05:27 PM
Am I alone in thinking that AJ and SD are good signings.

AJ has already opened his Palace account (albeit against poor oppostion) some might say he's a one trick pony but Michael Owen doesn't seem to mind the tag, so even if he's an average finisher players around him like DF will benefit from his ability to unsettle defences.

SD had a decent game last night showing good awareness and a wide range of passes, he used both wings when he could but was smart enough to play direct when it looked right to do so.

:clown:

Symon10
03-08-2002, 05:34 PM
no you're not alone!

Derry also hit the bar and went close with shots from the edge of the box.

lees eagles
03-08-2002, 05:36 PM
Both are excellent signings in my opinion, adding the quality to the squad to help us get promoted! :)

Streatham man
03-08-2002, 05:42 PM
they both sound like very promising acquisitions.

Sir JB
03-08-2002, 05:44 PM
I agree. Not forgetting DB as well.

pedro
03-08-2002, 05:49 PM
No one can say if they are good signings now, time will tell if they are good or not, maybe ask this question in a years time.

Steve C
03-08-2002, 06:00 PM
Both good signings we hope??????

Coulsdon Eagle
03-08-2002, 06:11 PM
Dont forget Adebole, dont know if he's signed yet though, he looks solid, pacy and ready to get stuck in, seeing these in action, if they're given the chance, we could be in for a better season.

drl199
04-08-2002, 01:35 AM
Oh thank god, at long last a poitive thread :)

I for one am very pleased with trevors signings, I have to admit I havn't seen very much of sean derry but by all accounts Portsmouth fans rated him. I'm much more pleased with the signings of johnson and adebola (HAS HE SIGNED YET?? ONLY THE ADVERTISER CARRIES THIS STORRY) though, I went to see the pre season game at vournemouth and was dreadingf the prospect of having to play steven kabba next season. Now we have four quality first division strikersd once ade gets himself fit and in to form.

I also like the signing of danny butterfield, who gives a **** if he came from grimsby, the boy looks solid and doesnt seem afraid to venture forward.

Im very much looking forward to next season, and for the first time since goldberg we have a sound squad and one injury will not screw up our entire season.

Get behind trev and the lads!!

EAGLES :)

Crystal Eagle1
04-08-2002, 01:48 AM
if Adebola signs i know what my nickname will turn two straight away-Joe Adebola

Beanie
04-08-2002, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by drl199
Oh thank god, at long last a poitive thread :)
I'm much more pleased with the signings of johnson and adebola (HAS HE SIGNED YET?? ONLY THE ADVERTISER CARRIES THIS STORRY)

Hardly conclusive proof - but TeamTalk also refer to the signing, and some obscure news site talks of goals from "new boys" Andrew Johnson and Dele Adebola. On his report Alan Russell says that the signing is "rumoured".

Does that help at all!

I.Flyer
04-08-2002, 03:21 AM
I am also feeling quite chuffed at the moment with the new boys and the team in general, especially Dougie signing a new contract :love: . At the moment, I think there is every reason to feel optimistic.

I know it was Woking, but I liked what I saw and one of the goals (the last one, I think) came from the linking up of the 3 new boys. I was sitting in the press area of the Directors Stand and I overhead one of the Woking guys saying "their No.10 (Andy Johnson) looks good"

All round a very pleasant evening. :p

Jason
04-08-2002, 02:04 PM
I agree totally with the positive points on this thread.

There were a lot of doommongers when Morrison was sold , but at the moment, it looks like we've made a smart move. Morrision going has meant that we've been able to give Dougie a new long term contract (that may not have happened if Clinton had stayed). We've also gone out and signed a very useful looking midifelder (which everyone said we needed), and are rumoured to be buying exactly the sort of central defender we need (Powell). Just to make life even better, we look to be picking up a proven 20 goal a season man on a free in Adebola (whatever people say about him, the stats do not lie when taken over a whole career). Then there's Johnson, who I personally admit I didn't want when the transfer was mooted, but the things I've heard since he's joined suggest that I'm likely to be eating humble pie soon enough on that one (large portion please!). Despite making all the additions mentioned, there is still in excess of 2m in the bank from the deal that can be used to cover general running costs/debts that will inevitaby need to be paid this season in light of the recent change in climate.

So we go into the new season with THREE proven 20 goal a season strikers at this level (Adebola, Akinbiyi, and Freedman), as well as Johnson who could prove a very shrewd aquisition. We've also brought in two good quality (by 1st div standards) and relatively young midfielders, and are hopefully adding the centre half we need as the last piece of the jigsaw. Morrison going seems to be the trigger for much of this activity, so you have to say that the people who were positive about that move look to have been right, and the sale was a strategic move to take the club forward (as well as obviously covering some losses . . .every club in the Nationwide League is having to do that to some extent) rather than proof of meltdown. . . . . I can't wait for next Saturday ! !

Batsta
04-08-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Jason
I agree totally with the positive points on this thread.

There were a lot of doommongers when Morrison was sold , but at the moment, it looks like we've made a smart move. Morrision going has meant that we've been able to give Dougie a new long term contract (that may not have happened if Clinton had stayed). We've also gone out and signed a very useful looking midifelder (which everyone said we needed), and are rumoured to be buying exactly the sort of central defender we need (Powell). Just to make life even better, we look to be picking up a proven 20 goal a season man on a free in Adebola (whatever people say about him, the stats do not lie when taken over a whole career). Then there's Johnson, who I personally admit I didn't want when the transfer was mooted, but the things I've heard since he's joined suggest that I'm likely to be eating humble pie soon enough on that one (large portion please!). Despite making all the additions mentioned, there is still in excess of 2m in the bank from the deal that can be used to cover general running costs/debts that will inevitaby need to be paid this season in light of the recent change in climate.

So we go into the new season with THREE proven 20 goal a season strikers at this level (Adebola, Akinbiyi, and Freedman), as well as Johnson who could prove a very shrewd aquisition. We've also brought in two good quality (by 1st div standards) and relatively young midfielders, and are hopefully adding the centre half we need as the last piece of the jigsaw. Morrison going seems to be the trigger for much of this activity, so you have to say that the people who were positive about that move look to have been right, and the sale was a strategic move to take the club forward (as well as obviously covering some losses . . .every club in the Nationwide League is having to do that to some extent) rather than proof of meltdown. . . . . I can't wait for next Saturday ! !

Great post, i am glad i logged in today. I feel so much better about the season now.:)

Htht-H
04-08-2002, 02:41 PM
I find it amazing having read the threads from the Tottenham game and now the response from the Woking game. At first I thought how fickle CPFC fans actually are, on reflection I see that when Palace do well the moaners do not reply to the good threads.

Having seen both games, I do feel optimistic about the season ahead as players take time to gel. Although I appreciate Woking are obviously inferior to teams in Div 1, the facts are the new players have a mixture of pace, strength and intelligence regardless of the opposition.

P.S. After hearing a rumour that CPFC turned down an offer for Routledge stating that we wanted a 1 million it would be criminal if we sold Routledge for a penny less than 5 million as in years to come he will be a full England International and we will command many times that figure. Remember 200,000 for Marcus Bent? :sob:

Jimbo ?
04-08-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by lees eagles
Both are excellent signings in my opinion, adding the quality to the squad to help us get promoted! :)

yes they are good signings - but we still need more quality to have a team capable of promotion

aadams
04-08-2002, 02:46 PM
I admit I'm one of those people who was not confident about this season because of last year and the sale of morrison, but nearly a week on after clintons sale, I've now got over it.
I'm not a great Francis fan, but am going to give him a chance & cheer on the team. Hopefully the atmosphere will be better this season from all sides of the ground, as I believe we also have a duty to get behind the team and show our support through good and bad times.
:p

Streatham man
04-08-2002, 06:35 PM
well said, aadams!

seconded!

Coulsdon Eagle
04-08-2002, 10:27 PM
Sing your hearts out,
Sing your hearts out,
Sing your hearts out for the lads.......

PALACE ARE BACK!!!

Clapham Grand
04-08-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by aadams
I admit I'm one of those people who was not confident about this season because of last year and the sale of morrison, but nearly a week on after clintons sale, I've now got over it.
I'm not a great Francis fan, but am going to give him a chance & cheer on the team. Hopefully the atmosphere will be better this season from all sides of the ground, as I believe we also have a duty to get behind the team and show our support through good and bad times.

Absolutely! It would make a great difference :p

Blakey
04-08-2002, 10:40 PM
I cant wait for the season to start it must only be about 6 days!!!!! COME ON YOU EAGLES!!!!!

My friend brought me round a plant today which she has grown from a seed, odd you may think but its called CRYSTAL PALACE!!!

I,ve planted it but am crap in the garden, I now see myself comparing us to the plant - please start blooming!!!

ozeagle
04-08-2002, 10:44 PM
listen, watford have closed the canteen, and are asking players to wash their own kits, coventry haven't a cent to spend, derby are 28 mill in debt, bradford have 14 players on their list....

we just sold a bloke for 4.25 mill, and have sured up the playing list a great deal...surely we have recruited as well as any...maybe portsmouth better when they get merson..

i think it augurs well, why the dark faces....

6 more days, who will we be seeing at preston ?

Coulsdon Eagle
04-08-2002, 10:58 PM
We're in a better position than most in this division, lets take it by storm, Premier here we come.

Streatham man
04-08-2002, 11:05 PM
I'm also feeling fairly optimistic, but concerned about how long it will take to gel as a team. We could easily have 5 new players in our starting line up who have barely played a handful of matches in a CPFC uniform. It looks to me like:

1. James was wrong in terms of the club finances (TF and SJ have taken the Clint money and reinvested it in Powell, Butterfield, AJ, Adebola and Derry)

2. We picked up some reasonably good players who will strengthen the squad, give it more balance, and create more competition for starting spots (when Symons is fit, will Popovic be dropped with Powell now on the team?)

3. TF has largely gotten what he wanted in terms of the new players, and SJ will be looking for a strong promotion push or TF's days will be numbered.

mikestock
05-08-2002, 01:20 AM
I think TF has signed well this summer. Players who have doen a good job at this level, but are available for decent fees. He has also signed players in th epositions we are weak / laking cover so the squad should be stronger.

I've enjoyed these signing and i'm looking forward to seeing them, reminds me of the late eighties when we were picking up good players from the lower divisons and look where that took us. It's the same approach Norwich took last year and they almost made the premier league.

With a bit of luck and if the new players gel we can make the play-offs.

I've reserved judgement on TF for the moment, generally i think he does Ok in the transfer market, but maybe doesn't get the best out of the players. However, i'll wait to the season is 10 games in before i make up my mind either way. I don't think oyu can judge from laast season. you need to give a manager at least one pre-saeson with the club before you make up oyur mind.

hellsbells
05-08-2002, 01:23 AM
As with all other new players, regardless of reputation, stats, price we paid for them and endless other criteria, I genuinely hope they do well for us and are overall good signings. Are they expected to be on display vs Charlton tomorrow?

CPFC_R_GREAT
05-08-2002, 01:33 AM
I think the problem was that we had just sold or swapped from the fans point of view the best striker we have had in years!

So we were all a bit bitter but now the dust has settled i'm happy with the deals and especially Derry speaking to Pompey fans they say he is a good player and the price is more than fair!

Up the Palace roll on next season, i just hope we get a good start so all the "fans" don't start more annoying 'Palace are crap' threads which just get a little tiresome! Lets all support the club including TF this year!

Teddy
05-08-2002, 01:49 PM
I'm still positive about the new season, and i like the signings. Only saw the Jolly testimonial, but what i saw of Johnson looked good. Nice touch and bags of pace. Wasn't too sure about dele, but he's got a good div 1 record so can't be bad. And my old man reckons we got a decent player in Derry, at a more than fair price.

Role on Preston.:)

OKnotOK
05-08-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Streatham man
I'm also feeling fairly optimistic, but concerned about how long it will take to gel as a team. We could easily have 5 new players in our starting line up who have barely played a handful of matches in a CPFC uniform. It looks to me like:

1. James was wrong in terms of the club finances (TF and SJ have taken the Clint money and reinvested it in Powell, Butterfield, AJ, Adebola and Derry)

2. We picked up some reasonably good players who will strengthen the squad, give it more balance, and create more competition for starting spots (when Symons is fit, will Popovic be dropped with Powell now on the team?)

3. TF has largely gotten what he wanted in terms of the new players, and SJ will be looking for a strong promotion push or TF's days will be numbered.

I don't think there can be any doubt that Simon Jordan either has plenty of money to spend or the club is much more stable than some tried to suggest to us. I am very happy for this to be the case.

I really think that Powell and Popovic can forma great defensive partnership and my personal opinion is that Popovic should not be dropped no matter who is fit. I think he should be the first choice defender. I always feel more confident when he plays. Hopefully he can keep himself fit this season.

Francis has to be pushing for promotion this season. Considering the fianances of most clubs in the division, and the fact that none have really invested except Wolves and everyone else has offloaded far more than they have bought, I really think that Jordan will not put up with another season outside the playoffs.

And Francis can really have no excuses now. Injuries or not, this is his team and he has to do the business with them.

Here's looking forward to him starting with a thrashing of Preston on Saturday!

MAX
05-08-2002, 05:07 PM
Just spoken to long time Pompey season ticket holder - said Derry is a real hard case - no one will mess with him!Interesting.
Also sid he looks 34 not 24.