PDA

View Full Version : Can we have a papers, liars or prophets ongoing thread please.

PeterH
04-08-2002, 06:13 PM
Newspapers and internet sites, TV and radio are very good at reporting speculation as outright fact. I for one am heartily sick of this rubbish.

Lets list bits of certain news that are predicted and keep tabs on the tissue of lies. Especially when the news is lauded as Exclusive or likely to unsettle a player.

Perhaps we can go on to name and shame a journalist or newspaper by listing the times they have got it wrong.

I'll start with the rivals-net story. They claim Powell is going to Charlton. Lets see.....

NewRoadBee
04-08-2002, 06:31 PM
Not seen it, but apparently Downes states in the Express that an offer has been accepted for Powell from Palace.
It is our (best) midfielder Rowlands who interests Charlton I think :sob:

Ralph
04-08-2002, 06:55 PM
Being linked iwth Eddie Lewis on the footballtransfers web site. Under the UNCONFIRMED transfer SPECULATION pages! Looks Promising then.

http://www.footballtransfers.info/specs/spec.asp?category=Un-Confirmed

NewRoadBee
04-08-2002, 06:58 PM
Sky sports reporting the Powell bid as more or less a done deal :eek:

http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1860-1059848,00.html

PalaceFan in Alabama
04-08-2002, 07:00 PM
Eddie Lewis, now this has to be a joke? Having let one American go and keeping one hanging on, I would be very surprised if we got him. He is no better than the other two :confused:

Gooders
04-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Sunday Mirror mentions the Lewis story today.

Mind you, it also says that Brum are going to "snatch" another one of our players - Jovan Kirovski. :rolleyes:

Clapham Grand
04-08-2002, 10:37 PM
Such lazy journalism

hairy beasts
05-08-2002, 09:11 PM
The Wolves Chief Executive Jez (stupid name ) Moxey claims there has been no contact from Palace for Ludo Pollet. This was on a link to their web page..................the truth is out there

Who Cares?
05-08-2002, 09:55 PM
According to Ceefax "Preston manager Craig Brown is leading the hunt for left winger Eddie Lewis".

Do players we are linked with usually score against us or should we be OK for saturday?

2can
05-08-2002, 10:02 PM
MIDAS soccer "exclusively revealed" in the last year:

* Lawrie Sanchez as our new manager
* Clinton Morrison signing for Sunderland

and one other thing I can't remember...

No surprise then that their website has been shut down! :D

nookiebear
05-08-2002, 10:17 PM
I think we should have two different forums for...

* Player suggestions thread - who we as fans would like to see us sign (but there's no suggestion of a move or any gossip relating to it. For example, I'd like us to sign Ronaldo, so could start a thread saying, wouldn't it be great...?)

* Player gossip/speculation/fact thread - rumours we've heard about who we're going to sign, are signing or selling. Paper stories, website stories, stuff from club insiders, etc.

The reason why we need two threads I think is because I'm fed up with opening threads on players and reading 'I think it would be really good if we signed Dwight Yorke cos he is great'.

I'm not knocking suggestions for players threads, but sometimes they're either just plain daft (Dwight Yorke) or get me excited for 10secs while I think we might be chasing a decent player to find out there's no gossip on them at all (like Greenacre).

I personally prefer reading threads about players the papers are claiming we're signing or someone like SIKO or It Wasn't Me have inside info on, not just flights of (fondant?) fancy about who we'd like.

hairy beasts
06-08-2002, 12:19 AM
Unfortunately this speculation is just typical of the time of year, and with the amount of clubs looking to off load fringe players, high earners or anyone who can generate revenue for cash strapped teams it seems likely to continue for some time to come. :hmph:

pallet
06-08-2002, 12:29 AM
Sunday Sport
Jordan and deano in three in a bed romp shocker.
The real reason Deano dint want to go on holiday with SJ:o