PDA

View Full Version : Best signing

craigos
07-08-2002, 05:57 PM
Which signing/possible signing will have the most impact this season?

heinz 57
07-08-2002, 06:06 PM
depends on appearances i guess, but i can see routledge doing well, fans loving him, him loving palace, someone offering a couple mil' for him and getting turned down, then being sold for less soon after.

but honestly i think AJ looks really good and i'm not too woried about Clinton's departure with Dougie, AJ, Adebola(?) and the other one around to score goals.

i just wish we'd buy a quality central midfielder :rolleyes:

Scoot
07-08-2002, 06:08 PM
From talking to several Pompey fans, I think Derry could well be the man.
Also have a feeling that Ade is gonna come good this year.:p

bnmth eagle
07-08-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by heinz 57

i just wish we'd buy a quality central midfielder :rolleyes:

Don`t let Derry hear you say that..
my vote goes to Powell as our defence is still poor with austin in it..

Holmesdale Boy
07-08-2002, 06:12 PM
Didnt think we had signed Carrasso

heinz 57
07-08-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by bnmth eagle

Don`t let Derry hear you say that..
my vote goes to Powell as our defence is still poor with austin in it..

yeah, i suppose that wasn't really fair, haven't seen much of him yet. I also had an argument with my brother this morning because i think Akinbiyi will do well this season.

Thin on Top
07-08-2002, 06:13 PM
I'm just looking forward to seeing Derry against Paul Ince when we play W*lves.

It's not for the faint hearted !!:eek:

Elusive
07-08-2002, 06:14 PM
I think butterfield will be a revelation in a good team I also think Ade will have a good season.

oh, hasn't Cedric gone back. He's not on the squad list

heinz 57
07-08-2002, 06:16 PM
Butterfield does look very good, I'm actually pretty hapy with the signings we've made recently, got some good players in. i haven't seen powell myslef, but he seems to be a pretty popular choice too.

ROCK'N'ROLL
07-08-2002, 06:17 PM
Cedric has been released.

Scoot
07-08-2002, 06:49 PM
Has Powell Actually Signed ?

Steve H
07-08-2002, 07:00 PM
AJ could really do the business against some of the weaker defences in the first division... if given a chance I can see him getting 10-15 goals at least. Our best 'signing' though has to be Dougie :p

craigos
07-08-2002, 07:04 PM
After all the abuse given to TF when AJ was first linked with Morrisons move to Birmingham it now seems that AJ is a popular choice!!

Is this the start of the TF revoloution????

Probably not but my fingers are crossed

917L
07-08-2002, 07:06 PM
As 2 of those on your list havnt signed and 1 has been released perhaps you may want to revise it!

Sick Bucket
07-08-2002, 07:23 PM
too early to say but I have to admit Im now really looking forward to the season starting, I think TF has bought in the right sort of people for the right price, don't like the man (TF) but he does deserve the chance to impose himself on the club and players, im willing and keen to be converted. looking at the squad I really believe we will make the top 6.

I'll say Routledge, Butterfield or Derry.
Sod it Routledge.

OKnotOK
07-08-2002, 07:55 PM
Well I think a few of them could come good, but my favourite so far has ben Danny Butterfield.

Jordan's Jacket
07-08-2002, 08:26 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Butterfield had a very good season. I would be surprised if Akinbyi did, although not unpleasantly I hasten to add.

OKnotOK
07-08-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Jordan's Jacket
I wouldn't be surprised if Butterfield had a very good season. I would be surprised if Akinbyi did, although not unpleasantly I hasten to add.

I think AA has been really unlucky. He had such a crushingly bad season last year that it obviously hit him hard.

What he really needed was a relaxing pre-season programme to get his confidence back and to bang a few goals in. Unfortunately his injury has prevented that and it is going to be hard for him coming back with the same hangups and concerns floating around.

I will keep my fingers crossed though.

Lion
07-08-2002, 08:39 PM
Bloody Hell - No-one has come on and said that they are all crap signings and that we'll get religated. I'm in shock :eek: :eek: :eek:

I recon Butterfield will have a big impact, but I think all the new singings will have a good run and help us get into the play-offs - we have a stronger team than the beggining of last season - and look how well we did then (and I couldn't see us staying first with a brand new manager who didn't know the team).

I have good feelings about this season :love: :love:

Boris the charltonhater
08-08-2002, 01:30 PM
What's Routledge doing on that list?:clown:

budgie
08-08-2002, 01:57 PM
After seeing the new lads against Charlton, I must say I'm feeling very optimistic about this year, I really hope we sign Adebola.

Also talking to a Millwall supporter at work, this is the first season for a long time that he isn't looking forward to the new season, as they have stood still in pre-season, and that Palace are one of the few teams showing any purpose in improving.

craigos
08-08-2002, 04:42 PM
Routledge is on the list as mentioned on the poll because he is like a new signing having never really played for the first team.

Adebola is on the list because as mentioned on my opening thread the poll is for signings/possible signings.

:rolleyes:

OKnotOK
08-08-2002, 04:44 PM
Who voted for Carasso? We've sent him packing back to France I thought?

Cleon
08-08-2002, 04:52 PM
I think Powell is exactly what we need - a no nonsense centre-back who is fast and good in the air. How many goals do Palace concede either in the air or from set peices? Answer - too many. With Popovich alongside him I am genuinely thinking we might have a good season ahead.

09-08-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by OKnotOK
You are correct. He has returned to Marseilles. Expect Lance Cronin to become our 3rd string 'keeper when he becomes a full-time professional at 17 in September.

Louis
09-08-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by craigos
Which signing/possible signing will have the most impact this season?

Hopefully Powell. Our central defence has been the biggest weakness in our team, so if he plays well his signing will have the most impact. We need two of Powell, Popovic and Symons playing throughout the season.

Streatham man
09-08-2002, 01:50 AM
Based on what people have seen so far, should Butterfield be in the starting line up?

Here's what I'd like to see for Saturday's line up. Defence, Midfield and Forwards not necessarily in order of position:

Clarke
Fleming Popovic Powell Granville
Butterfield Derry Mullins Rubins
AJ Freedman

Subs:

Aki
Adebola
Black
etc

I think TF will probably not start Rubins, but have him as a sub, with Aki joining the starting midfield.

My thinking is that Rubins and AJ could scare the living daylights out of any defenders with their speed.

If we're losing the match because we don't have enough physical presence up front, bring on Adebola as a sub, along with Rubins (if TF has left him out of the starting line up)

Thoughts?

Steve in Phoenix
09-08-2002, 04:08 AM
I voted for Powell for the reasons mentioned above.. having another solid center-back is something we've needed for ages now..

Streatham Man - I like your line up a lot though I agree Francis probably wont be going with it. I havent seen him but I get the impression Butterfield doesnt venture forwards a lot except for the occasional long shot.. so that could put three defensive players across midfield.. allowing Rubins to get forwards as often as he liked and to wander around. He tends to get clogged by his marker as soon as the game starts so that might help him.. I think he also plays that role up front for Latvia, rather than being a conventional winger or midfielder.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
09-08-2002, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix
that could put three defensive players across midfield.. allowing Rubins to get forwards as often as he liked and to wander around.

I believe that if we play three slightly more defensive midfielders - any three from Butterfiled, Mullins, Derry and Aki (who would all tuck in and play fairly narrow) than any one player out of Gray, Rubins, Routledge or Black, if given licence to roam, could create problems for a lot of division 1 defences. :p

Ruskin Old Boy
09-08-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by OKnotOK

We only had him on loan; after being watched by the French FA and getting selected for their U-21 squad Marseilles decided they wanted to keep him after all. Best of luck to him.:p

Gooders
09-08-2002, 11:58 AM
Obviously difficult to say just yet but I voted for Derry because we've needed a tough and skillful leader in the middle of the pitch for ages.

Teddy
09-08-2002, 09:45 PM
AJ gets my vote. Only seen him in 1 pre-season game, but had a nice touch and is incredibly quick. I reckon with the Doog, we've got another potentially very good partnership.

09-08-2002, 10:08 PM
I voted for Powell for the reasons mentioned above.. having another solid center-back is something we've needed for ages now..

Streatham Man - I like your line up a lot though I agree Francis probably wont be going with it. I havent seen him but I get the impression Butterfield doesnt venture forwards a lot except for the occasional long shot.. so that could put three defensive players across midfield.. allowing Rubins to get forwards as often as he liked and to wander around. He tends to get clogged by his marker as soon as the game starts so that might help him.. I think he also plays that role up front for Latvia, rather than being a conventional winger or midfielder.

Butterfield does in fact venture forward when the opportunity arises and is a good finisher close in as he showed at Barnet and Swansea City. He was also unlucky not to have scored against Charlton after beating 4 men in an exciting run. He was the player who laid on 3 of the goals for Grimsby Town in their shock 5-2 home win v Palace last season. Don't see him as a traditional winger, but he certainly isn't an orthodox
defensive midfielder.

Steve in Phoenix
10-08-2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by freddykurz

Butterfield does in fact venture forward when the opportunity arises and is a good finisher close in as he showed at Barnet and Swansea City. He was also unlucky not to have scored against Charlton after beating 4 men in an exciting run. He was the player who laid on 3 of the goals for Grimsby Town in their shock 5-2 home win v Palace last season. Don't see him as a traditional winger, but he certainly isn't an orthodox
defensive midfielder.

Thanks for the report.. its interesting to hear that. I had assumed he would be an orthodox defensive type as he apparently could play central or right defense as well as midfield. Im glad to get some depth and new midfielders..

Justy C
10-08-2002, 01:08 PM
I have a feeling that in a short while Butterfield will become our regular right back - and a very good one. Just my opinion.

Boris the charltonhater
10-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by craigos
Routledge is on the list as mentioned on the poll because he is like a new signing having never really played for the first team. :rolleyes:

Then why aren't Will Antwi, Greath Williams, Gavin Heeroo, Ben Surey, Robert Smith, David Hunt and Lance Cronin on the list?

brighton_eagle
10-08-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Boris the charltonhater

Then why aren't Will Antwi, Greath Williams, Gavin Heeroo, Ben Surey, Robert Smith, David Hunt and Lance Cronin on the list?

Probably because out of all of them, young Wayne is the player most likely to feature this season.

I would say now that Powell could well be the best of a good bunch of signings, mainly because he gives us height and pace at the back, something we've been lacking for a while.

Having said that, I actually think they are all very good signings.

Sleeping Giant
10-08-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash

I believe that if we play three slightly more defensive midfielders - any three from Butterfiled, Mullins, Derry and Aki (who would all tuck in and play fairly narrow) than any one player out of Gray, Rubins, Routledge or Black, if given licence to roam, could create problems for a lot of division 1 defences. :p

Spot on. I'm worried that TF will not do that today though. If he follows your advice I will feel so much more optimistic about a) doing well and b) enjoying the footie this season. At home he will do it but away, I don't want us to play it tough until we lose a goal all season. With our defence supposedly now better, more creativity elsewhere should be permitted.

Wedgy
10-08-2002, 09:14 PM
I'm gonna go with the minority at the moment and go for Adebola.
Only got Jolly's game to go on - but he showed signs of skill that would P*** all over Mr O'Morrison.

JamieBcpfc
10-08-2002, 10:01 PM
what donkey voted for carusso 1. he played or was in the squad last year at least and 2.he wasn't in the squad list this year

Wedgy
11-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by JamieBcpfc
what donkey voted for carusso 1. he played or was in the squad last year at least and 2.he wasn't in the squad list this year

Probably one of those late night drunken votes. Get quite a few of them around 2am on a Sunday morning (I've been there)

Latvian
13-08-2002, 05:38 PM
which "almost signing" will have bugger all impact on spurs this season?!

humpo
14-08-2002, 05:32 PM
best singning we ever made was Ian Wright who cost 10 grand and some second hand football kits from dulwich

Malakite
15-08-2002, 03:24 AM
Id be interested in knowing why everyone is rating Andy Johnson so highly after about 90mins over games, and also on the fact that he hasnt scored as of yet?!!

Latvian
15-08-2002, 06:53 PM
whoa - dead heat!

Thatch
16-08-2002, 09:40 AM
Not anymore it's not !!!!

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
16-08-2002, 10:16 AM
Dead heat again! AJ gets my vote, I think this man has cult figure written all over him

AJ and the Doooug ;)

PS Clinton, Who? :p

Sussex Eagle
25-08-2002, 04:33 AM
I'll go with AJ, just 'cus I have a horrible feeling Derry will do (or be done) a Pollock. Plus AJ rules on Champ Man!:D

Ruskin Old Boy
29-09-2002, 05:52 PM
Interesting to revisit this thread and see what our expectations were. If we could vote again I suspect Darren Powell would have won by a country mile:p

glaziers fan
01-10-2002, 05:07 AM
But only cos Derry has been injured (he was looking like the best) and AJ has yet to score in the league! To be fair to AJ, how many chances has he actually had? Certainly less than 5 good chances, and Doug must have had at least 30 good ones!! I reckon when he scores one he will have abetter good chance to goal ratio than Doug!! I am still reserving judgement on AJ. His approach play is good. Just need to see his finishing, which we wont know about until he fluffs a load of chances!

Sadly, Powell would not have won by a country mile because Routledge is in the poll for some reason, but interesting to bring this thread to the fore again!

Steve in Phoenix
01-10-2002, 05:48 AM
I think it is more than 5 chances :( I remember one game AJ had about 6 missed ones.. almost half our total. Seems to be a useful hustler but not a big goalscorer. Dougie's been in bad form but I think he'll stay comfortably ahead of AJ and probably anyone else not named Wayne.

boxing francis
05-10-2002, 03:25 PM
in my opinion its butterfield, we signed him for next to nothing he has a good shot and crosses superbly, Derry will be very good once back to fitness but Andy johnsen doesnt really impress me, he misses too much, i feel dele adebola needs to improve as well

917L
08-10-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by boxing francis
in my opinion its butterfield, we signed him for next to nothing he has a good shot and crosses superbly

You jest surely?

He has been awful, tge only signing worse has been Granville who makes Craig Harrison look like Pele!

Powell has beeen the best signing, the emergence of Wayne of no surprise to anyone who has seen him for the youth/reserves.

dicky_boy
20-10-2002, 04:25 PM
If a few more vote for the first time i can see Routledge winning the vote,he's been quality in all his games and scoring aswell,he will gain legendry status with Palace,thats if franny dont ship him out elsewhere of course.

westsussexeagle
04-11-2002, 10:16 PM
Just voted for AJ - well 7 goals in 8 days means the others really have something to chase.

Latvian
05-11-2002, 07:55 PM
I voted derry, methinks

The Vicar
05-11-2002, 09:11 PM
I think it is more than 5 chances :( I remember one game AJ had about 6 missed ones.. almost half our total. Seems to be a useful hustler but not a big goalscorer. Dougie's been in bad form but I think he'll stay comfortably ahead of AJ and probably anyone else not named Wayne.

AJ "not a big goalscorer"...7 goals in the last 3 matches!