PDA

View Full Version : Adebola To Sign On Thursday

Latvian Eagle
14-08-2002, 03:08 AM
I know after tonight there isn't much that we can say was wrong, but I feel Adebola needs to be brought in, surely we can compromise with him. It was really frustrating watching all these brilliant crosses floating over out 5'7" and 5'9" strikers, when 6'3" Dele would be picking them off. The height up front is still something we lack I'm afraid and we could lose games we dominate because we can't convert the chances, and the opposition hit us on the break, we aren't going to pull it back like we did tonight everytime it happens. What you all think?

ROCK'N'ROLL
14-08-2002, 03:18 AM
Adebola's signing will be confirmed on thursday.

He passed a medical today.
Signs tommorow.
Lets the world know on thursday.

freekickuk
14-08-2002, 03:25 AM
where did u get your info from

ROCK'N'ROLL
14-08-2002, 03:27 AM
adebola

freekickuk
14-08-2002, 03:30 AM
hope you are not pulling my piss-er would be a good player for palace

ROCK'N'ROLL
14-08-2002, 03:36 AM
I swear on me knackers, that as adebola arrived at approx 6:35pm this very evening at the executive car park, selhurst park. He confirmed the information posted above.

Before he arrived, SJ said he will sign as well, but being on a mobile at the time, I didn't know what to take of it.

Oh yeah, 1 year contract.

freekickuk
14-08-2002, 03:45 AM
thanks sounds good

Stonewall
14-08-2002, 03:47 AM
Its more than likley true, as I was reliably informed that Dele was defenatly at the match tonight!

Clapham Grand
14-08-2002, 03:47 AM
it's true

ROCK'N'ROLL
14-08-2002, 03:49 AM
Im really am NOT winding you up here!!!!

Its TRUE.

However, if it does go tits up i will look like a right pr!ck.

reg plate: D 3 ELE, if i remember correctly, silver car.

ZOHAR
14-08-2002, 03:50 AM
So if your all so "in the know" how much is he gonna get paid a week? :rolleyes:

ROCK'N'ROLL
14-08-2002, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by ZOHAR
So if your all so "in the know" how much is he gonna get paid a week? :rolleyes:

They will pay off the cost of his reg plate!!!!!!!!

Eagle
14-08-2002, 03:59 AM
It was confirmed by Simon Jordan, Trevor Francis, and Dele himself that he will offically join us on Thursday.
He has now agreed personal terms with the club, took part of his medical today, will play for the reserves at Bournemouth tomorrow and will be revealed on Thursday as Palace's 5th summer signing.

ROCK'N'ROLL
14-08-2002, 04:01 AM
I dont know how to merge threads, but there is already a thread on this under 'the missing link'. however i do believe that it should keep the title you gave.

LLCOOLSTEVE
14-08-2002, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by ROCK'N'ROLL
Adebola's signing will be confirmed on thursday.

He passed a medical today.
Signs tommorow.
Lets the world know on thursday.

Yep it is true, he watched the match with Ade Akinbyi.........signing tomorrow.

Stonewall
14-08-2002, 04:02 AM
Sorry, but you've been beaten to it on another thread

Sir.S.C Remembered
14-08-2002, 04:03 AM
That would help yes especially with our TERRIBLE to watch tactic of that annoying curled ball curled from right back to forwards instead of passing on the floor through midfield!

An Attacking central midfielder would be nice too!

Stonewall
14-08-2002, 04:06 AM
That was a fast merge!:D

ROCK'N'ROLL
14-08-2002, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Stonewall
That was a fast merge!:D

That's what I was thinking.

Well done mr moderator person.

Stonewall
14-08-2002, 04:10 AM
If only the staff at palace were as efficient:(

I.Flyer
14-08-2002, 04:31 AM
On the way home tonight I passed a car with the Reg. Plate Dele ??? outside a curry house (I was going in the opposite direction) and a guy who may have been Adebola get in a drive away.

ozeagle
14-08-2002, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered

PLEASE !!!!! I CAN'T STOMACH MULLINS ALONE...

:hmph:

AJ
14-08-2002, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered

Is that in essence the same as "the best defending forward", which we apparently have in Akinbiyi:p

pete eagle
14-08-2002, 05:28 AM
i can hardly wait, i can just see it now, the amount of hoofs Dean Austin will send his way will number in double figures per half

Ian Hart
14-08-2002, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
It was really frustrating watching all these brilliant crosses floating over out 5'7" and 5'9" strikers,

I question whether sending crosses way above the heads of strikers who you know wont reach them, deserve the term "brilliant".

hairy beasts
14-08-2002, 05:33 AM
After last seasons disappointments and the departrure of CM things are looking good 4 great signings,2 decent games and now (hopefully) we'll sign DA.
If he signs tomorrow I'm coming home and taking the missus upstairs where i'll undress her slowly, tie her to the bed then nick her purse and p1ss off down the pub to celebrate.
And when I get back if I'm sober enough to manage it I might even untie her!

RDSdaEAGLE
14-08-2002, 05:48 AM
Adebola would definately make a difference when it comes to corners and crosses...

taking the number of times a good cross came in from Butterfield into account, having a tall striker is an important thing. On about 6-8 different occasions, Butterfield placed the ball in the direct path of players, but they just couldn't direct the ball.

Timbo
14-08-2002, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Adebola would definately make a difference when it comes to corners and crosses...

taking the number of times a good cross came in from Butterfield into account, having a tall striker is an important thing. On about 6-8 different occasions, Butterfield placed the ball in the direct path of players, but they just couldn't direct the ball.

Saw Dele at the Charlton friendly. He wasn't particularly impressive but he only had part of the game. Didn't spot too many good crosses from Butterfield but during the Charlton game and in the past Granville has shown some talent at accurately floated passes and shots

Stubby
14-08-2002, 11:52 AM
I thought the forwards looked a bit lost, the rest of the time was fine, it was disappointing to loose a goal. I was impressed with Powell (2 bookings already), Butterfield and Derry.
I feel that if Freedman had passed the ball (once to Johnson the other time to Granville) instead of shooting on the two occasions he missed then we could have had 3. My own opinion.

Barcaeagle
14-08-2002, 12:24 PM
Definatly what we need ... a big strong old fasioned front man who can batter defenders, hold the ball up for AJ and Dougie actually knows where the goal is ?!! I hope ! Imagine 5 - 2 -3 AJ Him and Dougie !! We would scare the rest of the league to bits !!!:p

Axie
14-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Yup definitely true. I spoke to Dele before the game last night as well and he said exactly the same to me that Rock 'N' Roll has said.

Cleon
14-08-2002, 02:25 PM
I sincerely hope he's reduced his wage demands, and the club hasn't simply given in to him. I see him as a useful player to have, but nothing more.

yorkshire eagle
14-08-2002, 02:43 PM
setting my self up for a bit of stick but if we were to have had a big forward last night feel we could of won, butterfield put 6-8 good crosses in and we didnt win them:grrr: with a big but not lumbering guy up front we could do well in this division:p by the way powell is REAL quality:D

Beanie
14-08-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
I sincerely hope he's reduced his wage demands, and the club hasn't simply given in to him. I see him as a useful player to have, but nothing more.

I heard basically the same thing from a guy who sits along from me, but who is one who definitely DOESN'T have inside contacts, but likes to give the impression he does! Perhaps for once he was right - but he did add a bit, which I post bearing in mind what I've just said about the guy!

He added that it wasn't that Adebola wasn't happy with Palace's offer, but that he thought he might get more from the other clubs, so he went to find out. Apparently they didn't top Palace's offer hence he came back.

If true, not sure what I think, guess you can't blame the guy for wanting to get the best deal, but it doesn't exactly show a desire to play here. As long as he committed once he does arrive I guess.

Cleon
14-08-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
He added that it wasn't that Adebola wasn't happy with Palace's offer, but that he thought he might get more from the other clubs, so he went to find out. Apparently they didn't top Palace's offer hence he came back.

Maybe the "penny's dropped", as Simon Jordan would have it.

If he's only on a one-year deal, he'd better do a good job, because next summer could be even worse for many players.

bald-eagle
14-08-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle
i can hardly wait, i can just see it now, the amount of hoofs Dean Austin will send his way will number in double figures per half

A little unfair IMO as last night Deano played some good through ball, on the ground and everything! Also Powell hoofed more than deano last night, and often not good hoofs at that.

OKnotOK
14-08-2002, 03:33 PM
I heard a rumour... and it may well be wrong because it didn't come straight from the horse's mouth as it were ... that Adebola was going to sign a pay as you play deal.

Either way I think Dele would be good cover while AA is out and could be a decent purchase.

Unfortunately most Crewe fans seem to suggest that he may not be the target man a lot of people seem to be looking for. When his signing was first suggested, most Crewe fans said yes we will get a bargain. Yes he is a great player. Yes he is frighteningly quicky. Yes he is very strong. Yes he can score. But no he can't use both feet and most importantly no, despite being massive, he can't head the ball.

I am not sure but that was definitely the impression I was given.

Still think he will be a good addition. Because his size and strength are something that neither Freedman, nor Kabba, nor Johnson bring to them team. So with AA out, we need a replacement.

Let's hope he signs.

And I am pretty sure he will have given in on wage demands. Francis' talk about the deal only going through if DA lowered his demands etc etc sounded a lot like the way the Birmingham board announced the Morrison deal was dead on the Thursday before he signed. I think Francis and Jordan were letting Dele now that they might negotiate a little bit. But it wasn't going to be much.

Jordan's Jacket
14-08-2002, 03:33 PM
I agree that when Austin came on he was breath of fresh air. He dropped off to allow Clarke to roll it out and some of his passing was sensational. Keep it up Dean. I have to say, however, that Popovic was pants, defensively.

Caisterman
14-08-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Jordan's Jacket
I agree that when Austin came on he was breath of fresh air. He dropped off to allow Clarke to roll it out and some of his passing was sensational. Keep it up Dean. I have to say, however, that Popovic was pants, defensively.

I assume this is tongue-in-cheek. It is is'nt it? Go on tell me it is.

When all our defenders are fit, Deano will not get a sniff of the 1st team.

Scoot
14-08-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Barcaeagle
Definatly what we need ... a big strong old fasioned front man who can batter defenders, hold the ball up for AJ and Dougie actually knows where the goal is ?!! I hope ! Imagine 5 - 2 -3 AJ Him and Dougie !! We would scare the rest of the league to bits !!!:p

Mmmmmmmm sounds like a signing we made last year that the majority of people slagged off.

kolinkins
15-08-2002, 12:02 AM
i am happy we r signing him - BUT, its funny how this 'big' forward is just the thing we need, but when we bought akibiyi.........

Jaffa
15-08-2002, 12:05 AM
Its not really that funny seeing as Akinbiyi is out until Christmas, it seems like a shrewd bit of business to me.

kolinkins
15-08-2002, 12:11 AM
i know he's out for a while - i am just saying how when we signed akinbiyi, a lot of people complained about why signing a big forward was bad, but now that we signed adebola, we are all looking forward to it, and seeing him as the missing link.

by the way, just for the record - i think adebola is a good signing!

Jaffa
15-08-2002, 12:13 AM
Yeah, indeed.

Ian Hart
15-08-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by kolinkins
i know he's out for a while - i am just saying how when we signed akinbiyi, a lot of people complained about why signing a big forward was bad, but now that we signed adebola, we are all looking forward to it, and seeing him as the missing link.

I'm not sure that was what people were complaining about, Kolinkins. What people were questioning was the need to sign such a player when:

1. We had Freedman & Morrison (we don't have Morrison now, so it's different) and
2. That we paid 2.5m for him (whereas Adebola is a freebee)

Beanie
15-08-2002, 02:48 AM
Can I also point out - as on other thread - this big forward is c**p in the air:( according to Brummies and Creweites he's strong, fast, holds the ball up well, has a good shot - and can't head!!:sob:

Still think he's a good signing - :p - even more evidence of NON-hoofball approach we have been seeing:D :D

Hedgehog
15-08-2002, 06:54 AM
Just a simple question, where is he from? By that I mean what Nationality is he?

RDSdaEAGLE
15-08-2002, 02:03 PM
I think I remember reading that he was going to be called up by Nigeria...but I may be wrong.

Gooders
15-08-2002, 02:23 PM
I'm amazed he's fit to play, if he's ad ebola.

15-08-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Hedgehog
Just a simple question, where is he from? By that I mean what Nationality is he?

Born Lagos, Nigeria - 23rd of June, 1975.

CK
15-08-2002, 04:38 PM
Has it been finalised that he is officially Palace yet???

Chester 76
16-08-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
I'm amazed he's fit to play, if he's ad ebola. :eek:

HappyLarry
16-08-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by CK
Has it been finalised that he is officially Palace yet???

Yes

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/today/view/breaking_news_detail/0,,10323~256765,00.html

FOSSBLOKE
16-08-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins

Many people, myself included questioned the necessity of spending 2m+
on a forward when we already had two top scorers in the division. A signing of Adebola's type of player (quick, strong, cheap, happy to sit on the bench, on a shortish contract) was what was actually needed last season when CM and DF were cracking in the goals.

Adebola may well prove a very astute signing (I hope)

freekickuk
16-08-2002, 04:35 PM
rock and rolls inside info spot on thanks