PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Wise in talks with Palace

Pages : [1] 2

Clapham Grand
14-08-2002, 04:48 PM
Being reported on Skysports News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone else to follow in the TF clipping round the ear tradition!

Thoughts?

Dartford Lad
14-08-2002, 04:50 PM
Great :rolleyes:

heinz 57
14-08-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand

Thoughts?

doubt it, not from Dennis Wise.

brighton_eagle
14-08-2002, 04:51 PM
No thanks.....

SJ seems to have done well on the wage front (this is only speculation based on the lengthy negotiations for Adebola, Johnson and Powell). We dont want Wise coming in on a high wage.

PeterH
14-08-2002, 04:52 PM
NOOOOOOOO. Right now as it is all coming together we do not need someone to bring it all crashing down. He would be like Nero fiddling as Palace burned.

David of Kent
If he did sign, I'd obviously give him all the support possible whilst on the pitch in a Palace shirt.....whilst secretly being fully aware that he is a useless little money grabbing violent tw@t

Clapham Grand
Do we actually need him?

In his 30s , didn't set Leicester alight (nor did anyone else though), and our midfield looks strong.

Is he the creative link?

Perky
14-08-2002, 04:54 PM
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no
and no

Gooders
14-08-2002, 04:56 PM
Yeah, but every team needs a nutter. :)

sydney eagle
14-08-2002, 04:57 PM
why are we linked with everyone all the time?

yorkshire eagle
14-08-2002, 04:58 PM
let me see wisey at palace nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i think that covers it:)

Batsta
14-08-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Gooders

Derry should fill that role :)

GOD
14-08-2002, 05:01 PM
just to recap: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

firesign
14-08-2002, 05:02 PM
No, no no - absolutely no!!! :grrr: What else is there to say?

Daddy Long
14-08-2002, 05:04 PM
Its Ruddock all over again

Del Gland
14-08-2002, 05:04 PM
I don't think so!

Keane v Wise in a "No Holds Barred" match in Vegas sounds likely though!

BUNGLE
14-08-2002, 05:05 PM
Would be a decnt signing, not many teams would be able to compete with: Gray - Derry - Wise - Butterfield
Also may be the kick up the arse Mullins needs.

Parkice
14-08-2002, 05:05 PM
I thought SKY Sports News TV was linking Wise and Gascoigne to Portsmouth not us.....

candide
14-08-2002, 05:06 PM
5+ years ago. maybe.

northernsouler
14-08-2002, 05:07 PM
DW is jerk_ off spiteful little pug-faced tw at.
And they re some of his good points.

Neal k
14-08-2002, 05:11 PM
No way:grrr:

Cleon
14-08-2002, 05:13 PM
I'd like to reitterate all previous posters (Bungle being the exception), by saying **** off Dennis Wise, you horrible little ******.

AJ1969
14-08-2002, 05:14 PM
In good old BBS fashion everyone is just saying no, never, not here etc... Why not?

Kabba's Magic Shorts
14-08-2002, 05:23 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old, psychotic moron looking for one last big payday without having to exert himself.

Let Portsmouth have him - they deserve each other.

humpo
14-08-2002, 05:27 PM
i must say ....denis wise is the person in football i detest the most.

horibble little wankah

Riccardo
14-08-2002, 05:28 PM
IF, we can afford him (and I don't know if we can), why not ? He's cover / competition for Derry, Hayden and Aki.

But the last thing I'd want is a Hopkin/Ruddock situation again.......

Walrus
14-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by AJ1969
In good old BBS fashion everyone is just saying no, never, not here etc... Why not?

Because :

He's a has-been
He would demand Hopkin-esque wages at least.
He's an animal.
He has no skill.
He's is out to do the best for Dennis Wise.
He would add nothing to the squad.
Signing him could upset/destroy team spirit.

Will that do for starters AJ1969 ?

Justy C
14-08-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by humpo
i must say ....denis wise is the person in football i detest the most.

Mine too.

OKnotOK
14-08-2002, 05:37 PM
Teamtalk are confirming that the Adebola deal is done and that we are in talks with Dennis Wise

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/Top_Stories/0,1569,,00.html#519684

HappyLarry
14-08-2002, 05:38 PM
I'd rather buy Sherwood than Wise.

Sherwood's future has been in doubt ever since Standard Sport revealed the player had been fined two weeks wages for his outburst against manager Hoddle and the club.

The 33-year-old claimed the club lacked ambition and would never win the title. Spurs have refused to offer Sherwood an extension to his current deal, which has one year left to run, and it is no secret the player has been looking for a move away from White Hart Lane all summer.

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp is lining up a £400,000 bid to land the combative midfielder, though Watford are also reported to be interested.

humpo
14-08-2002, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HappyLarry
[B]I'd rather buy Sherwood than Wise.

i would rather stick a screwdriver in my eye than sign wise

El Aguila
14-08-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Walrus

Because :

He's a has-been
He would demand Hopkin-esque wages at least.
He's an animal.
He has no skill.
He's is out to do the best for Dennis Wise.
He would add nothing to the squad.
Signing him could upset/destroy team spirit.

Will that do for starters AJ1969 ?
Thanks. Can't think of anything you've left out. THIS SIGNING WOULD BE A DISASTER!!!!!!!

Riccardo
14-08-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by humpo
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HappyLarry
[B]I'd rather buy Sherwood than Wise.

i would rather stick a screwdriver in my eye than sign wise

:D :o

Belly
14-08-2002, 05:55 PM
Good GOD, What a rediculars signing that would be,bringing someone to the club that can actually cross a ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pub Idol
14-08-2002, 05:55 PM
Wise is in the last chance salon as far as football is concerned.

After recent events and in the current climate he would be in no position to demand big wages.

IMO he might - just might, be the creative midfielder we have been missing for years.

Alongside Derry in middle of the park could be very interesting.

The overated Mullins could be on his way out.

Lee B
14-08-2002, 06:00 PM
Perhaps TF wants someone to 'do a job' on our reserve keeper, whilst he sleeps in his hotel room. That's about all I could see Wise being good for....

I know that some will say that 'he's the type of player who away fans hate and home fans love,' but injuries, wages, and the fact that he alledgedly attacks people whilst they sleep surely mean NO! :grrr: :confused: :sob:

Cleon
14-08-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Pub Idol
IMO he might - just might, be the creative midfielder we have been missing for years.

The only creativity that little scumbag has ever shown is when he's been asked to explain his dispicable behaviour in front of FA Disciplinary Tribunals.

I can't see Jordan wanting the little animal at the club. He's already had problems with Pollock, Linighan and Ruddock, and they are all relatively sane in comparison.

He's just been fired by Leicester for hitting someone, for gawd's sake! And they clearly used it as an excuse to get rid of him.

matthew
14-08-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Pub Idol
Wise is in the last chance salon as far as football is concerned.

Last chance salon?? I think you mean saloon - but then again I think he'd look lovely with a perm.

Soft nancy git!!

Gooders
14-08-2002, 06:06 PM
I'm sorry, but whatever else you accuse Wise of, you can't say he has no skill.

He is a very good passer and crosser of the ball.

I feel that he would be very likely to turn out like Ruddock/Hopkin but a little bit of me thinks that having him around for a year or so would help some of our youngsters along really well, provided that he could keep his famous temper under control.

PalaceFan in Alabama
14-08-2002, 06:07 PM
It would not be a 'Wise' thing to do :D :D :D :p

HappyLarry
14-08-2002, 06:08 PM
Perhaps this is the work of a agent desperately trying to Wise a contract somewhere - along the lines of Peter Taylor (Wise wants to come back to London, No Premierships clubs are going to look at him & who are the only club with a modicum of money outside the Premier League - Palace!) Could it be he's linking himself with Palace rather than the other way round.

Stavros 69
14-08-2002, 06:08 PM
I would have Sherwood anyday of the week. He was the best player on the pitch when we played Spurs. Wise is a big Tw@t but if we got him on a year contract with the posibility of a year extention i think he might work for the team and better us. I dont like the guy but would make the squad better.

pedro
14-08-2002, 06:14 PM
It is the bigger picture that would worry me. If we were to sign him on the type of wages he would command I am sure it would be TF's intention to play him every week not use him as a squad player. This could mean that he doesn't fancy Aki to do a job or the fact he is expecting to lose Mullins before the 31st August deadline.

zonin2000
14-08-2002, 06:16 PM
ummmmm....

I don't know what to think...

I'm scared

:(

Jordan's Jacket
14-08-2002, 06:18 PM
I can't see it. Our squad is packed with central midfielders. TF played them all last night across the line:rolleyes:

What?
14-08-2002, 06:23 PM
I dont see why you are all so against the transfer! He can pass! He might be a little ****, but thats fine by me! He seemed like a laugh when i met him!

He might be the link we are missing, we never look like scoring except for corners! It will only be a short contract as well. He has played consistently at the highest level for many years!

Top Eagle
14-08-2002, 06:24 PM
If he does come in I think AKI will be on his way. After last nights performance you can understand that he wants someone who can get the ball down and pass it. Aki, unfortunately is not the best at this.

Would prefer sherwood though, although I am not overly upset about Wise, he could definetly help us in the creativity department, or at the the very least put his foot on the ball and look up, which is something Mullins and Aki seem to do very little of.

I bet the wages are a problem though.

Tor
14-08-2002, 06:27 PM
Oh, please....he's almost 36!! How long will he last? Is it worth the wages?

He WAS a decent player, but I can't see him sweat enough these days to make this worthwhile.

cpfcben
14-08-2002, 06:29 PM
had the pleasure to play football with dennis wise!!
he is an excellent player
only downside is his wages, i think we may have been here before with the likes of pollock hopkin ruddock, and having to pay up their contracts!!
and do we really need another defensive midfielder, i would have preferred paul merson an attacking midfielder
someone with some creativity

Who Cares?
14-08-2002, 06:30 PM
If he signs I would back him but I really hope he doesn't.
Most of his attributes have been mentioned already and few of them are positive.
I would not have thought he was a Francis type of player (apart from his pastime of whacking his own players:D) and I am amazed that Jordan is interested in him after the experiences with Hopkin, Ruddock & Pollock.

All of Francis's signings have been sensible and strengthened the squad. I do not think the same could be said of Wise.

candide
14-08-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by What?

He might be the link we are missing

that's it....The Missing Link...:rolleyes:

David of Kent
14-08-2002, 06:36 PM
Slightly off of the point as to what his merits are as a human or as a player, as he's been sacked I presume he currently is getting £0 per week in wages. At 35, why would we have to offer him "premiership" wages. What would stop us offering him something manageable as I'm sure there doesn't seem to be a host of clubs after the guy. I'm not saying I want him here, just saying that I don't anticipate wages to be a problem in this case.

Daddy Long
14-08-2002, 06:37 PM
I despise Dennis Wise. But I've sat back and thought about it....TF deserves that atleast for the quality of his signings so far.

You can always rely on Wise to chip in with a few goals every season...he is very good at making late runs into the box. There is no doubt that he has a fine range of passing.

Wolves have signed Ince recently, a similar type of player on a 1 year deal and I thought at the time that it was a great signing for them. Don't see why Wise would be any different so long as he behaves himself off the field aswell as on it and is only offered 1 year deal.

Stavros 69
14-08-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long

Wolves have signed Ince recently, a similar type of player on a 1 year deal and I thought at the time that it was a great signing for them. Don't see why Wise would be any different so long as he behaves himself off the field aswell as on it and is only offered 1 year deal.

Well said

My point exactly

Dal
14-08-2002, 06:39 PM
If we can afford to pay his wages, then surely we can afford to pay the equivalent to someone else, or indeed anyone else other than Dennis Wise.

If he signs, it will show that Jordan has learnt absolutely nothing since he bought the club.

We need a creative midfielder, someone who can dictate matches.

Dennis Wise will just screw us a la Hopkin, Ruddock, Padavano etc etc.

nookiebear
14-08-2002, 06:39 PM
I'm sure his agent, Monster Eric Hall, will ask for 'Monster' wages and hopefully, if Jordan isn't insane, this one will be knocked on the head.

Don't object to him as a player, but his history, and those expected waged demands, means I wouldn't go near him with a barge pole.

All TF's summer signings have been young players with something to prove.

This would be a step back.

Who Cares?
14-08-2002, 06:42 PM
Eric Hall and Simon Jordan in negotiations; that I would love to see!

Thin on Top
14-08-2002, 06:45 PM
"Ya dirty southern b*stard"
"Ya dirty southern ba*tard"

I can join in with the chanting now !!!

Dal
14-08-2002, 06:46 PM

With all due respect, there is no comparison between Dennis Wise and Paul Ince.

Ince has captained England, had two relatively successful seasons in Italy and been a fantastic player in English club football for ten seasons or more.

Dennis Wise simply does not compare.

PeterH
14-08-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by AJ1969

Because he will cripple our chances this season. The story will be about him and not Palace. Too much baggage, banks do not employ convicted thieves, why should football clubs employ people they know are going to screw up.

Why is it up to us to give the guy a chance.

List for you of people we have given a chance to:

Brolin,
Ruddock,
Padavano,
Mark Dennis (Good one I thought)
Hopkin
Gray (second time)
Venables
Ade Akinbadbuy.

Why gamble, why, why, why, why............. NO, NO, NO.

Let Portsmouth have him, BTW hate to see their wage bill.

Stubby
14-08-2002, 06:48 PM
Robbie Mustoe from Boro, available on a free, currently training with Derby but they cannot sign anyone till they sell, he's 33(?) tough but not a nutter, BUT
I would consider Wise

Grunt
14-08-2002, 06:48 PM
Surely this is just a rumour - like a lot of what we've heard before about all sorts of players. It's unlikely that Wise would accept the sort of wages Palace would be willing to pay (although perhaps not impossible), he's not done anything too impressive recently (although he clearly had a lot of talent once), he's widely believed to have a suspect temperament (however you spell it), he is generally seen as filling the sort of role that Derry seems to be doing a very good job of filling already (although perhaps two in that mould in the middle is better than one)... Even though you might be able to question each inidividual reservation, put it all together and there's too many reasons not to, and whatever people say about Francis he's certainly done enough to convince me that when it comes to transfers he knows what he's doing. He clearly has a plan as to what he wants.

Of course, if he actually is interested in Wise (which, as I said, I doubt) then I will assume he knows better than me (which I don't doubt) and it is a good idea after all. Sometimes the world's a better place if you just have a little faith.

Grunt
14-08-2002, 06:50 PM
Oh - I forgot to say that I really really don't like Wise, and I would be very very unhappy to see the little lemon curd in a Palace shirt.

I don't get worked up about these sorts of things as a rule, but short of signing Roy Keane I can think of very few players I'd be more revolted to see in our team.

brighton_eagle
14-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Portsmouth were linked with him then denied having had any contact. This could be the same. Sounds like his agent trying to get him a job.

PeterH
Originally posted by What?
I dont see why you are all so against the transfer! He can pass! He might be a little ****, but thats fine by me! He seemed like a laugh when i met him!

Ruddock was a laugh, also a liability. Oh and add Wilkins to the list above.

arussell
What would be the point ?

Daddy Long
14-08-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Dal

Ince has captained England, had two relatively successful seasons in Italy and been a fantastic player in English club football for ten seasons or more.

Dennis wise has played international football, has lifted major domestic trophies and has played in European competition. He was widely regarded as the spine of Chelsea's team. Funny that since he has left they've gone downhill. He has had a fine playing career, unfortunately intersperced with off the field controversy. As I said, I can't stand the bloke, but I don't think he would be the calamatous signing that you all predict so long as we get him on favourable terms.

Ian of Chatham
14-08-2002, 06:59 PM
I'm normally one of those people who would like to give players the benefit of the doubt but this is a rare exception. Someone please tell me that this is not true. I cannot believe that we are interested in signing Dennis Wise, he is SO DIRTY and his only contribution would be to break more legs than MFI.

Neil the Eagle
14-08-2002, 07:01 PM
Giving the emotinal response a rest, why are we considering signing a old player who is just going to be a drain on resources... he has no resale value.

What's wrong with find players in their early 20's like Butterfield and Derry, were we have the chance of recouping some cash on?

God, I'm beginning to sound like Noadesy

Will S
14-08-2002, 07:02 PM
I'm trying to construct an argument for signing DW - it's hard, a bit like arguing the case for Salad Cream (it's old, rather tacky and really rather unnecessary)
However... he has shown in his prime (yes, those last 3 words are the key ones...) that he's more than just a tough tackler... he has some of the vision and playmaking qualities our team is crying out for. He can certainly pass a football with tremendous accuracy, and has one of the best left feet around. On the basis of the Bradford game, we have many pragmatic and obdurate qualities, but are still lacking one player with a little guile to control the pace of a game. Wise, if he applies himself, and takes the gig more seriously than Hopkin did could be a critical signing. Much depends on his attitude... give him a pay as you play contract I say, it might stop the red mist descending.

I always wanted Coppell to sign him when we were linked to him during the mid 90s.

Anybody else remember a match with Wimbledon in the early 90s when Geoff Thomas completely forgot he was playing in a football match and pinned Wise to the ground make several pertinent points by jabbing his finger in Wise's face over the course of several minutes - all this despite half the combined Palace/Wimbledon teams trying to haul him off. As I recall, Wise spent the whole incident smirking...

Cyneagle
14-08-2002, 07:03 PM
Can't really see the little wanchor dropping his wages to less than £10K/week can you, even if he is out of work.

Thin on Top
14-08-2002, 07:06 PM
I like Salad Cream.

brighton_eagle
14-08-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Thin on Top
I like Salad Cream.

Me too. In many respects I prefer it to Mayonnaise. :)

Caisterman
14-08-2002, 07:09 PM
I don't want him to ever put the Palace shirt on. He is a jumped up little gobshite who will be trouble. I remember him and Andy Gray getting sent off for fighting when he played for Chelsea (was it Wise's debut?).
Please let this be a rumour that comes to nothing.

Bobby Woodruff
14-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Gooders

Based on last night it looks like Powell might be filling that role.;)

cpfcben
14-08-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Dal

dennis wise played for england in euro 2000
and ince was not there, maybe that might tell you something

Jimbo ?
14-08-2002, 07:23 PM
We would have a really physical midfield - aki derry wise!!!

He may do a good job if money isnt a problem but I would spend on a striker or defender

What?
14-08-2002, 07:25 PM
He needs us more than we need him, so he might not be on massive wages, and on a one year deal I think it is a good move, however anything more than a 1 year contract is NOT a good idea!

muffdaddy
14-08-2002, 07:25 PM
Still, Wise would give the midfield added bite. It might be a bite out of an opponent, though.

El Aguila
14-08-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by cpfcben

dennis wise played for england in euro 2000
and ince was not there, maybe that might tell you something
indeed was one of the main differences between that team and the team which had perofrmed reasonably well in the two previos tournaments. England looked half good for about half an hour in that tournament, after Wise had been substituted against Germany.

Dal
14-08-2002, 07:27 PM
Dennis wise has played international football, has lifted major domestic trophies and has played in European competition. He was widely regarded as the spine of Chelsea's team. Funny that since he has left they've gone downhill.

If this was the case, why did Chelsea get rid of him?

Because he's an expensive liability, that's why.

It would be a disaster if he signed for us.

If we have the money to spend on Wise lets spend it somewhere else.

David of Kent
14-08-2002, 07:28 PM
Ince played all three games at Euro 2000

Dal
14-08-2002, 07:33 PM
Ince will be an excellent signing for Wolves, Merson will be the same for Portsmouth.

Dennis Wise would just shaft us and the team.

Will S
14-08-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle

Me too. In many respects I prefer it to Mayonnaise. :)

A metaphor for life in many ways.

I'm more a Heinz Garlic Sauce man (with chives)

BVB Bob
14-08-2002, 07:44 PM
Well if he does sign, thank god Hoppo's left. Think how it would have been - fat, slow, ginger - there's Wisey next to him: "pass to me Honey Monster!". Oh arse, we're going to be laughing stock again.

bald-eagle
14-08-2002, 07:46 PM
3k a week and a bonus if we go up. Clauses to safeguard against having to keep him after misbehaviour off the pitch and ban him from seeing his old chelsea mates, all discretions punishable by a good kick in the bowlox from any one of the previous 50 posters :D

The biggest downside would be not being able to get a taxi anywhere near the ground on match days:eek:

I'd like to see TF stop him from laughing on the bench :rolleyes:

Gooders
14-08-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle

God, I'm beginning to sound like Noadesy

Bet you wish you had his hair. :)

local playa
14-08-2002, 07:47 PM
We dont want wise, we dont need wise, our midfield is looking like it will really start to gel and there will be real competition for a place in the team, which will give players like Mullins a kick up the backside that they needed. Wise is now very much past it, he will bring high wages, a bad attitude which will undoubtedly rub off on some of the younger players, and how much do you think that he really wants to play for us. Who remembers the reports of FatMan Ruddock leading a chorus of palace players in a restaurant singing 'We are going down'. He was a waste of space and I fear Wise will have the same effect. SJ and TF have done very very well this summer in the transfer market and filled all of us with real hope for this coming season, lets hope they dont ruin all their good work.
But being a palace fan is never easy, just when we all start to relax and feel good about the club they always like to suprise us and bring us all crashing back down to earth. But who would change it?

bald-eagle
14-08-2002, 07:50 PM
Seriously though folks....is anyone actually taking this seriously?

Scotland's No9
14-08-2002, 08:00 PM
I'm going to agree with what appears to be the majority: No.

As a player, someone who represents us for 90 minutes, I think he would be an asset for CPFC. Competitive, good range of passing, a winner.

However I have major reservations as to Wise representing us as a club. He is a thug who, although I've obviously never met, I detest. I would have trouble cheering him on, knowing that my cash is lining the pocket of a scumbag.

Probably a bit precious, and I'm sure there are plenty of unpleasant characters who've represented us past and present, but that's my thoughts.

THB
14-08-2002, 08:05 PM
Its Ruddock all over again

DL - i salute you. That is word for word, exactly what i was going to say.

freekickuk
14-08-2002, 08:08 PM
good player in his time, may be a bit past it now, big wages spent better else where,

Skin Up
14-08-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by bald-eagle

I'd like to see TF stop him from laughing on the bench :rolleyes:

What could Wise do? Headbutt TFs shins

David of Kent
14-08-2002, 08:11 PM
Certainly make the game against Leicester on August 27th at Selhurst even more interesting :eek:

Scoot
14-08-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by David of Kent
Certainly make the game against Leicester on August 27th at Selhurst even more interesting :eek:
I thought that was off due to Notting Hill Carnival :confused:

I hear that Pompey are on the verge of getting Sherwood :(

David of Kent
14-08-2002, 08:16 PM
I was only going by the BBS fixture list :o

Nobby
14-08-2002, 08:18 PM
Once again, just when you thought Simon Jordan had finally learned something...

Clapham Grand
14-08-2002, 08:20 PM
Game is on the Tuesday - was originally on the Bank Holiday but moved to cater for the Notting Hill carnival

Sick Bucket
14-08-2002, 08:21 PM
They just mentioned on Virgin Radio that Wise looks likely to join palace, worrying since they don't exactly have they're finger on the pulse. Im not keen either Ince, Merson yes would of brought some additional quality to the midfield, very dubious whether a 35 yr old DW will do the same. I'd take him for a year if it was on the cheap but I fear he will demand a pretty hefty pay package.

Dobbo
14-08-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Belly
Good GOD, What a rediculars signing that would be,bringing someone to the club that can actually cross a ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a stupid comment...weren't you watching Butterfield last night ?

cpfcben
14-08-2002, 08:25 PM
we need to a creative midfielder like kirovski last year, or paul merson (who is now at pompey), someone who can play behind the two strikers. freedman was playing way to deep last night. i don't really think we need anymore defensive minded midfielders

asylomisedeagle
14-08-2002, 08:36 PM
he a good player wud rather ave him in the squad than not + you lot shud be greatfull we r signing players when the t.v. money has gone poo poo!!

ozeagle
14-08-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
Do we actually need him?

In his 30s , didn't set Leicester alight (nor did anyone else though), and our midfield looks strong.

Is he the creative link?

our midfield looks strong - hello, WHERE ? Rihalati's hopeless, Mullins is rarely interested....Black plays half a game, Gray's a beanpole and is always injured...Rubins is great but TF hates him.....Derry's good, but hardly creative....

get Wise NOW !

Chobham Eagle
14-08-2002, 08:43 PM
No No No. Please No. Remember Ruddock.

Lion
14-08-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle

Rubins is great but TF hates him

What gives you that impression? Bruce didn't play him much either - neither seemed to think he was up to Division 1 level.

ozeagle
14-08-2002, 08:52 PM
played once since i got here, when all others were injured, best afield.. and then not sighted again...

take them on andrejs....

:p

bald-eagle
14-08-2002, 09:07 PM

our midfield looks strong - hello, WHERE ? Rihalati's hopeless, Mullins is rarely interested....Black plays half a game, Gray's a beanpole and is always injured...Rubins is great but TF hates him.....Derry's good, but hardly creative....

get Wise NOW !

Bradford are a renowned hard working team who fill the midfield. Last night it was the strikers, or rather the strikes on goal, which let us down. A bit more clinical finishing and we'd have won by 3 or 4 yesterday. The midfield pretty much had bradford sussed. Not bad for what you think is a weak midfield.

Look to the future, forget wise and hunt down the ballplayer we all want.

ozeagle
14-08-2002, 09:19 PM
this would be our most inspired signing since Lombardo...granted he's a cockhead, but he was chelsea's player of the year 2 years back and played for england 18 months ago or so....

creativty and quality...

get WISE

eagle mart
14-08-2002, 09:38 PM
He won't bang in the 20 goals that Clinton would have if he'd still been here but like Ince, Irwin & Merson he'd do a good job in this division. I can't think of anyone else in the starting eleven I'd want at 3pm on Oct 26th.
You can't pick and choose quality and there doesn't seem to be much between most of the teams in this division. Inspired signing?

Ruskin Old Boy
14-08-2002, 09:56 PM
God forbid....a bad influence on everyone. We don't need another overpaid past-it has-been:grrr:

Bobby Dandruff
14-08-2002, 10:06 PM
Forget about his antics off the pitch- Wise is a damn good player, he'd be an asset to the team 'THINK BIG AND WE'LL BECOME BIG', well small in Dennis's case. Give him a twelve month contract Trevor!

Gooders
14-08-2002, 10:16 PM
By the way, I would much prefer Sherwood too but he's currently employed by a Premiership team and undoubtedly way out of our league salary wise, whereas Wise is unemployed and probably prepared to accept a lot less.

As far as Pompey and their mega-rich chairman are concerned, this season is obviously **** or bust - as someone else has said, I'd love to know what their wage bill is like. :eek:

Glaws Eagle
14-08-2002, 10:19 PM
NO F**KING WAY.

He is a horrible, nasty ex-Chelscum b*****d.

No, please no! Remember Ruddock??

(Can I make it any clearer??)

sunshine lucas
14-08-2002, 10:26 PM
Ok, I detest the guy.
But.
Imagine him v BHA scoring a couple and pretending Zamora is a taxi driver.
It would make me - still detest him, but slightly less for 5 minutes.
No, you're all right. Dont' touch him TF please! :clown:

wighteagle
14-08-2002, 10:27 PM
To think that earlier this week I was laughing at the thought of Portsmouth signing Dennis Wise - and now Palace are linked with him................ :sob:

congress
14-08-2002, 10:30 PM
Memories are good.

Anyone else remember Alan Pardew kicking him up in the air at Plough Lane starting a free for all with Dave Madden having a go at John Fashanu.

Best ruck at Palace for a long while until Mark Dennis against Spurs.

P.S. I cannot stand the bloke.

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
14-08-2002, 10:38 PM
Salad Cream.........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

pedro
14-08-2002, 10:46 PM
It is strange but for 10 years or so I have always felt that Dennis Wise was fated to play for CPFC. Even with his run ins with Geoff Thomas I had this feeling that young Mr Wise would one day pull on a red and blue shirt. Unfortunately, if it does happen, I think it has taken place a couple of years too late. I think his leadership qualities and will to win seemed to have subsided since he left Chelsea. I would welcome the 'old' Dennis Wise with open arms but now he is just a shadow of the player he once was and our money could be better spent.

kolinkins
14-08-2002, 10:53 PM
players who have played in the prem for the majority of their careers have a touch of class about them. we may not realise it now, but i think if we see him week in week out, we will see him as a valuable asset. he has good vision, and can deliver set pieces. who cares about his age? a 1 year contract would suit me fine.

anyway, aki is off to the villa....

PeterH
14-08-2002, 11:07 PM
I remember him getting sent off with Andy Gray at Selhurst for fighting.

Malakite
14-08-2002, 11:09 PM
I dont care what anyone says, I think he will be a MASSIVE signing for us..are people forgetting that he was player of the year a couple of seasons ago and captain at Chelsea? Either that or the fact that he was playing for England only just over a year ago??

John.K
14-08-2002, 11:29 PM
Dont like them man! Dont think he'll be a usefull asset for the club but if he signs I will wait to see if he proves me wrong. :rolleyes:

hairy beasts
14-08-2002, 11:32 PM
Wises' biggest problem is his temper and I'm also worried about his commitment/desire. We are a club hoping to go places that he's been ......the prem, europe and cup wins.I doubt he wll 'want it' badly enough.
Not sure what effect the crazy gang mentality would do to the dressing room
As for wages SJ has proved time and again he won't be held to ransom...S Vickers,D Powell and D Adebola spring to mind.
He definately has the quality to command a 1st Div midfield with his passing and tackling,he may even score 5/6 goals
If signed it has to be on a pay per play basis then if he kicks off DP and Pops can hold him down so TF can hand him a p45.
All that said if he signs I'll support him and if he decides that he HAS something to prove he may make a big impact.
With the evidence of the summer signings I saw last night I'll trust TF's judgement

And anyway I think it's all likely to be paper talk or wises' agent doing the rounds.........but it's Palace so anything is possible.

CHE
14-08-2002, 11:34 PM
To compare Wise with Ince is a joke. Wise should never have played for England and he should never play for Palace

mikestock
14-08-2002, 11:48 PM
I'd prefer not to sign him. he's a thug who doesn't deserve another chance.

It doesn't matter how good he is. his behaviour on and off the field mean i don't want to se him in a palace shirt

Fatboynotsoslim
14-08-2002, 11:49 PM
This would be a great signing for us

Wise could definitely do a job for us, and would have a point to prove
(especially to Leicester)

Also, it would also enable us to cash in on Mullins (£2M from Villa?)

Jordan is no mug - Wise would probably have to sign on around £5K a week with a bonus for promotion - one year contract without a doubt.

I can see it now - 89th minute at the Millenium stadium Leicester 0 - Palace 0

Wise Free Kick into the top corner to return Palace to the Prem as Brum Scum are relegated with the lowest points total ever.

Al From Bromley
14-08-2002, 11:55 PM
I'd rather have had Merson. Wise is a nutter, a talented nutter, but his temperament over the years put paid to what he could possibly have achieved in the game. Why get him and pay him several thousand a week when you know he is possibly going to miss at least 6 matches a year due to suspension or wandering around London pished up at 3 in the morning before a big game? Let's spend wisely not on Wisey :)

PS - "What" said:

"It will only be a short contract as well. He has played consistently at the highest level for many years!"

No more height jokes OK, otherwise Dennis will coem round and slap you one :)

Chobham Eagle
14-08-2002, 11:59 PM
I don't want Wise for the same reason I would never want to see Roy Keane in a Palace shirt. Being a good player just isn't enough.

NO1FAN
14-08-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
Anyway, aki is off to the villa....

Is this true?

kolinkins
15-08-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by NO1FAN

Is this true?

it was tongue in cheek - he once refered to the subs bench as a villa, and seeing as he is a sub now, and aston villa need midfielders.......

NO1FAN
15-08-2002, 12:18 AM
D'OH

cozy
15-08-2002, 01:38 AM
I reiterate what many have said on this subject. NO NO NO NO.

Hasn't SJ just let go of a decent midfielder who would bleed red and blue, For the reason of 'reducing the wage bill'?!

Namely Simon Roger.

Surely his wages would not be in the league that Wise would be demanding. And basically he (Wise) is a thug who thinks nothing of sticking one on a team-mate. Just the sort of thing needed eh?

I just hope that this is all rumour and totally untrue.

:rolleyes:

pete eagle
15-08-2002, 02:07 AM
i'd like to know where we were when Paul Merson became available on the cheap. Maybe Wise would be a good signing, maybe he wouldn't but i don't want to take the chance. Plus we'll end up having the worst disciplnary record behind Millwall

Kevin T
15-08-2002, 02:12 AM
Well he was definately at Selhurst today in talks with SJ, so it's not rumour.

He was overheard asking about the training ground and complementing Simon's PA on her atrributes.

La Bombonera
15-08-2002, 02:16 AM
NO!
Neil Rudock all over again ... overpaid, over-rated, and a total liability.

bigbean
15-08-2002, 02:23 AM
please,no, the last thing we need now is that **** in our shirt.

hughff
It's Ruddock all over again

This is exactly what I think. I do believe that Wise has more to offer on the park than Ruddock but I also think that his potential for disruption and destruction more than out weighs it. I'm also worried about how much we'd have to pay him.

Like many others, I regret that we couldn't have got hold of Merson, who is more creative and less mad, though just as costly.

johnny
I'm in the NO camp.He's a vicious little thug,he's past it and his wages'll be massive no doubt.....AND he murdered Percy Thrower....

pete eagle
15-08-2002, 02:26 AM
you better hope he's not reading this guys, because if he is then you're all in line for a good kicking:D

pedro
15-08-2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Chobham Eagle
I don't want Wise for the same reason I would never want to see Roy Keane in a Palace shirt. Being a good player just isn't enough.

I am sorry but that is rubbish. There is not a manager alive who would not have Roy Keane in his side if given the chance (apart from McCarthy!). He is as responsible for Utd's dominance as Ferguson. He leads from the front and if someone is not pulling their weight they will soon know it. An example of this came last season when at half time in the changing room he grabbed Veron by the neck, lifted him off the floor and then promptly threw him across the room. Veron got up and was about to retaliate when he was advised that Keane was an ex-amateur boxer and would seriously hurt him if he started a fight. I am not saying these actions were warranted but it sends a message about the standards he sets his team mates and with him as a leader/example the team can only be winners, he will not accept anything less. The same can be said about Paul Ince, he might not be evryones cup of tea but with this signing Wolves have booked themselves a place in the Premiership (in my opinion). Like Keane, Ince will not accept failure and his presence alone will push his team mates to a different level. This was without doubt the most significant signing by a Nationwide club. Unfortunately Wise is not in the same class as these two, he no longer commands the respect of his team mates and I don't think the fires of passion are still burning. We will have to wait and see what happens over the next few days but if I was honest I am not bothered either way. Short term I think Adebola will be far more useful to us than Wise.

Grunt
15-08-2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Kevin T
Well he was definately at Selhurst today in talks with SJ, so it's not rumour.You are surely having a Turkish? I had assumed this couldn't possibly be true.

Shows what I know, I suppose.

Still nauseated by the idea of him wearing the shirt.

cdm61
15-08-2002, 02:45 AM
This would be a very poor signing, what does he offer us, is he a skillfull midfield creator? NO. Hes an annoying little thug on BIG wages and well past his sell buy date. I thought we'd grown out of buying expensive old has beens. He just got kicked out of Leicester for breaking his team mates jaw. :eek:

No No No No No No SJ........ very bad decision

Malakite
15-08-2002, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by eagle mart
He won't bang in the 20 goals that Clinton would have if he'd still been here but like Ince, Irwin & Merson he'd do a good job in this division. I can't think of anyone else in the starting eleven I'd want at 3pm on Oct 26th.
You can't pick and choose quality and there doesn't seem to be much between most of the teams in this division. Inspired signing?

Of course he wont bang in 20..he is NOT a striker..HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Malakite
15-08-2002, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by CHE
To compare Wise with Ince is a joke. Wise should never have played for England and he should never play for Palace

OH DEAR

Malakite
15-08-2002, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Kevin T
Well he was definately at Selhurst today in talks with SJ, so it's not rumour.

He was overheard asking about the training ground and complementing Simon's PA on her atrributes.

How do you know this?..ALSO what the hell were you doing in the programme?!

Grunt
15-08-2002, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by pedro
Like Keane, Ince will not accept failure and his presence alone will push his team mates to a different level. Out of interest (as an expat who hasn't seen them play) do you think that was the case at Middlesbrough?

Eagle
15-08-2002, 03:04 AM
I think im probably one of the only ones who think this could possibly be a good signing.
At the end of the day experience gets you out of this division along with squad depth, and we now certainly have that.
Dennis Wise has played at the top all of his career and knows what you need to get to the top. Yes he has been stupid in the past but over the past few seasons he has calmed down a lot and not been sent off as many times, correct me if im wrong but did he even get sent off for Leicester? He left Leicester cos of an incident with another team mate of his and i will admit he was probably to blame for what happened but then again we dont know the whole story.
At the end of the day any player who pulls on the Palace shirt i will support 110% and i just feel its about time us supporters gave a player a chance to prove himself in the shirt rather than get on his back before he's even signed or seen what he can offer us on the pitch.

Malakite
15-08-2002, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Eagle
I think im probably one of the only ones who think this could possibly be a good signing.
At the end of the day experience gets you out of this division along with squad depth, and we now certainly have that.
Dennis Wise has played at the top all of his career and knows what you need to get to the top. Yes he has been stupid in the past but over the past few seasons he has calmed down a lot and not been sent off as many times, correct me if im wrong but did he even get sent off for Leicester? He left Leicester cos of an incident with another team mate of his and i will admit he was probably to blame for what happened but then again we dont know the whole story.
At the end of the day any player who pulls on the Palace shirt i will support 110% and i just feel its about time us supporters gave a player a chance to prove himself in the shirt rather than get on his back before he's even signed or seen what he can offer us on the pitch.

HERE HERE well said my man!!!!!!!!!!!:p

cdm61
15-08-2002, 03:11 AM
At the end of the day any player who pulls on the Palace shirt i will support 110%

Even Mr Zohar? Mr Anslem? Fatty Brolin? etc etc etc???????

Wise is Stupid Eagle and SJ would be a fool to sign him.

Malakite
15-08-2002, 03:20 AM
So why was Wise captain of Chelsea throughout their good years a few seasons ago, and also playing for ENGLAND only a year or so ago????? Yeah he must be really bad.....name a current Palace pleyer who has got anywhere NEAR playing for England..Mullins a few appearences in England U21 a couple of seasons ago..THATS IT!!

cdm61
15-08-2002, 03:38 AM
So why is Wise out of work? And no other mugs want to sign him?

He's a has been that will only bring disruption.

Malakite
15-08-2002, 03:40 AM
Why are so many players currently out of work?? I think we should at least give the man a go...THEN if there are problems we can start to have a go..but before he arrives??Come on!...I would like to see what happens if and WHEN he starts having a really good effect on the team, how you guys start to sing his name and praise the guy!!

cdm61
15-08-2002, 03:43 AM
Why are so many players currently out of work??

Because they are crap or too expensive or both. Mr Wise is both.

ozeagle
15-08-2002, 03:50 AM
of the tossers on this board,....

malakite is spot on, we need a creative midfielder, and anyone who thinks that finnish dud rihilati is any good needs to watch our matches more closely because he is fair dinkum pants.

wise would be a great signing, we need to get rid of 'nice' players

we need to get some c-nt in us, we need to create something.

he has ample premiership and internatinal experience which now in the nationwide is priceless

bring him on, plus his mates could help in the ensuing punchon down at brighton..

wake up guys..

:veryangry

cdm61
15-08-2002, 04:13 AM
we need a creative midfielder, and anyone who thinks that finnish dud rihilati is any good

Wise creative.......don't make us laugh, unless making a piece of art out of a team mate's face is creative then forget him. Aki well he's all arms and legs but he's a nice bloke.......does a job but not what we need right now.

What?
15-08-2002, 04:14 AM
of the tossers on this board,....

malakite is spot on, we need a creative midfielder, and anyone who thinks that finnish dud rihilati is any good needs to watch our matches more closely because he is fair dinkum pants.

wise would be a great signing, we need to get rid of 'nice' players

we need to get some c-nt in us, we need to create something.

he has ample premiership and internatinal experience which now in the nationwide is priceless

bring him on, plus his mates could help in the ensuing punchon down at brighton..

wake up guys..

:veryangry

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This is my opinion exactly, and i really think he wont be on as much as people think, it's as i said earlier, he needs us more than we need him!

ozeagle
15-08-2002, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by cdm61
Aki well he's all arms and legs but he's a nice bloke.......does a job but not what we need right now.

exactly, a nice bloke, that's the problem with the UK full stop,

too many nice blokes, get some C in you and get the job done.

dennis is the man.....bring him hither..

Blind_Eagle
15-08-2002, 04:27 AM
How about less like Ruddock and more like Stewart in the historic comparisons?

Provided he was on a short term contract or a low basic with high success related bonuses I would consider this to be an astute move.

My only concern would be that it would increase the number of relatively short players we seem to be playing. We seem dwarfed on the pitch on Tuesday.

PeterH
15-08-2002, 04:42 AM
Calling your fellow BBSrs t@ssers shows that perhaps some supporters are ready to accept Wise into the fold. I am in the NO camp because it will end in tears, but I am certainly not a t@sser at least in the sense you mean.

Wise on the other hand is exactly that, the classic example of short bloke syndrome.

I think we have bought enough in the current financial environment. Are Palace and Portsmouth trying to race each other to the precipice again.

ozeagle
15-08-2002, 04:48 AM
you very well be a top bloke, but there are a lot of do gooders on this board who still listen to their mum..
all credit to the club, where others fold and fail to recruit, we continue.
surely EVERYONE is happy with our trading......

WISE will be far and away the best recruit we've had for ages....

it's like saying Oasis play crap tunes because Liam and Noel are cokheads..just doesn't cut it I'm afraid..

:angel:

Santos-er
15-08-2002, 04:54 AM
I don't like Dennis Wise as a person. There are few footballers i'd like to shoot in the head as much.

I'm not too sure whether he would be an asset on the pitch or not. There is every chance he could shine in the 1st division (if he can stay on the pitch long enough) but as others have pointed out, if he did sign it could just be for the cash.

If he wants to play badly enough, he should play for nothing for a month. If he does well we'll give him a contract for a year. Otherwise tell him to take his arse somewhere else to be buggered (like Brighton).

Al From Bromley
15-08-2002, 05:01 AM
Don't be so naive Malakite. the last thing we need is more adverse publicity and Dennis Wise, a has been but nevr quite was, is NOT the sort od player we need. i'd rather fork out the wages for Ginola or Merson any day of the week. Wise has a history of seeing red, both on and off the pitch. he is a liability who's bubble burst the moment he left Chelsea.

Hedgehog
15-08-2002, 05:01 AM
I can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading on here! Buying a player just to kick the poop out of Brighton! Get a frigging life!
When I first read the news today that we were interested in Wise I cringed. I think I should stick with my first impression.

PeterH
15-08-2002, 05:07 AM
Proof will be in the pudding. I am just scared because it seems to have all gone so well on transfers lately, uncharacteristically for Palace.

If hes really up for the task at reasonable wages???? Don't want to lose Aki though, even if is form does need improving. Certainly shouldn't jettison Mullins for any of these past their best ex Prem boys.

£2m only for Mullins, can't you see the likes of WBA are desperate, remember Southgate, a few games after we sold him he was in the England squad, how did that happen.

PeterH
15-08-2002, 05:08 AM
you very well be a top bloke,

Cheers. :p

Al From Bromley
15-08-2002, 05:12 AM
I couldnt agree more hedgehog. Its as plain as the nose on my face that Wise is an aggressive little **** who is struggling with coming to terms with the fact that his career is over. Let him milk someone else for a few grand a week. i cannot believe that ANYONE on here believes he is the second coming. More like we should see him coming and stop it before it becomes a reality. Honestly, some people.

Blind_Eagle
15-08-2002, 05:49 AM
If this was yet another 'Jordan' signing I would be scared witless.

If Francis is behind it I would be inclined to see it in a more positive light. After all the general concensus on the BBS recently is that TF's signings have been pretty astute.

Oisin
15-08-2002, 05:51 AM
Could be a good signing, might not be. He certainly galvanises opinion.

candide
15-08-2002, 11:30 AM

it's like saying Oasis play crap tunes because Liam and Noel are cokheads..

no...oasis are crap either way...;)

Gooders
15-08-2002, 11:44 AM
Just to reiterate - I'm in the "I think we've been here before and it'll most likely end in tears but a little piece of me thinks it might just work" camp.

There is clearly a lot of anti-Wise feeling on here, at which I'm not in the least bit surprised. However, if he signs, I really hope that we're not going to start hearing vociferous dissent from the stands within about 5 minutes of the start of his first game. That doesn't do anyone any favours at all.

Martin H
15-08-2002, 11:46 AM
couple of thoughts

this is an opportunity that has come along, not one that has been teased out, if I am reading it right. Wise has found himself out on his ear, a FREE agent.

Palace have got wind of this and have had a chat with him about what arrangement might make sense.

Wise unquestionably has:

experience at the highest level
drive and commitment
skill with the ball
good passing skills and an excellent cross
he is a left sided player (still our weakest side)
tackles hard and effectively
cheeky chappie within the dressing room
wants to win everything, the ball, the match . . . . .
could bring some experience to a young team

some problems:
temper as violent as the old faithful 'geyser' in Yellowstone park (US)
he is 35, which may mean he is less fit
he has been quiet for a year at Leicester
he has just been involved in a fracas with a fellow player (oops, this week this may be an asset!)
he appears to bear grudges and seek retribution during a match (Keane-like)
Biggest one appears to me to be his salary!

OK, so if he signs then I will 'support him with pride', if he doesn't I will convince myself it was a close shave. There is good and bad in here.

NZsparky
15-08-2002, 12:07 PM
I won't be unhappy if we sign him.

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
15-08-2002, 12:17 PM
Wise may or may not be able to cut it now.
He may or may not settle in and become motivated for the Palace cause.
No-one knows for sure, probably not even Wise.
When in doubt, leave it out.
As said previously the LAST thing we need now is another "past it" taking us for a financial ride and disrupting the camp.

A possible solution would be to initially take him on a "pay as you play" basis, although for the acceptance of this concept, it is probably a bit early for most players, even in this new era of financial reality.

Lion
15-08-2002, 12:25 PM
I say we give him a trial - see what his fitness is like, and if he is willing to accept resonable wages, I would not turn him down.

At the end of the day - he is a proven player, Jordan would tell him (and probally put it in his contract!) that any funny business, and he's out.

He may of been a tosser in the past, but after recent acts (getting fired from Leicster, etc) maybe he will change.

Let's trust Francis, his other signings have been good - seems he knows what he is doing, and I have no dought in his ability on the transfer market.

Just my 2p.

Stonewall
15-08-2002, 12:27 PM
He was on 30 grand a week at Leicester,so he would have to drop to a small fraction of this, 20% perhaps don't and hope it dosen't happen!

congress
15-08-2002, 12:28 PM
Put in his contract that he loses a weeks money for every time he is sent off and it might be worth considering.

PeterH
15-08-2002, 12:46 PM
From 30k a week to a more palatable 5k a week, cannot see it.

Whats the betting he has a couple of excellent games and gets sent off against Leicester......

Gooders
15-08-2002, 12:51 PM
If he was on £30,000, no wonder Leicester took the opportunity to sack him. Stupid money!

Unless we can get him on a one-year contract at about 6 or 7 grand max, I agree that we shouldn't even think about him.

And SJ is quoted in the currant bun as saying "There is something and nothing in this."

What the **** does that mean? :confused:

The Omen
15-08-2002, 12:57 PM
I've heard that Francis wants to bring in him to help him control the players.

Supposedly Kolinko has said to other members of the squad that he is going to give Francis a 'dig' when he sees him next. Francis plans to use Wise as a bodyguard - a kind of pitbull on a leash.

From what I hear, Micky Adams used him the same way at Leicester when Callum Davidson wanted to take out the boss.

Let him beat the hell out of Kolinko and then sack him. I think he will do a good job.

Terrace Bickle
15-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by The Omen
I've heard that Francis wants to bring in him to help him control the players.

Supposedly Kolinko has said to other members of the squad that he is going to give Francis a 'dig' when he sees him next. Francis plans to use Wise as a bodyguard - a kind of pitbull on a leash.

From what I hear, Micky Adams used him the same way at Leicester when Callum Davidson wanted to take out the boss.

Let him beat the hell out of Kolinko and then sack him. I think he will do a good job.

:D :D :D

DennisUphill
15-08-2002, 01:02 PM
Just think if Big Trev signs him, he can slap Wisey about a bit if he get's stroppy. And Vinny Jones, Big Trev won't take no lip from him eever!
So have no fear.

BVB Bob
15-08-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Martin H
couple of thoughts

this is an opportunity that has come along, not one that has been teased out, if I am reading it right. Wise has found himself out on his ear, a FREE agent.

Palace have got wind of this and have had a chat with him about what arrangement might make sense.

Wise unquestionably has:

drive and commitment
skill with the ball

some problems:
he has just been involved in a fracas with a fellow player (oops, this week this may be an asset!)

OK, so if he signs then I will 'support him with pride', if he doesn't I will convince myself it was a close shave. There is good and bad in here.

Totally agree. Hit the nail on the head for me.

Malakite
15-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Al from Bromley
Don't be so naive Malakite. the last thing we need is more adverse publicity and Dennis Wise, a has been but nevr quite was, is NOT the sort od player we need. i'd rather fork out the wages for Ginola or Merson any day of the week. Wise has a history of seeing red, both on and off the pitch. he is a liability who's bubble burst the moment he left Chelsea.

There we go again Bromley!...OH DEAR!..It just makes me laugh how everyone on here seems to be such professional football players themselves!! Tell you what Al, why dont you lace your boots up and get on the pitch instead of Wise then, sounds to me like from what you lot are saying, you could all do a better job!! Merson would be great of course, but HE IS WITH PORTSMOUTH and not US! Wise would be a great signing..one of the best for years...and at the end of the day if we dont give him a go how will we ever know?? YOU LOT MOANED NON STOP when ADE was booed and jeered when he first started playing...lets see if the same lot of you start giving Wise unfair abuse if he signs..because if that is so wouldnt you all become hypocrites?? Wasnt it you moaning on Sat Al because some idiot fans were clapping and joining in with the Preston fans against Francis?? AT THE END OF THE DAY we would pay NOTHING for Wise, yet we have seemingly WASTED 2.5 million on AkinBADbuyi, yet I still dont give him ANY abuse because he is a PALACE PLAYER, and certainly didnt give him abuse before he even kicked a single bal..THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:grrr: :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry

David of Kent
15-08-2002, 01:30 PM
Well Mr Wise certainly provokes a strong reaction, 10 pages in less than 24 hours, well done BBS :p

If you don't want Dennis at the club though please stick to the valid reasons. Simply saying why can't we have Merson or Sherwood isn't a valid point, these guys had/ have had, current premiership contracts on large salaries and would only consider moving into the 1st division if these contracts were at least maintained, as has been the case with Merson. Sherwood likewise will only move to this division if he doesn't lose out financially.

Wise is un-employed and is currently earning £0 per week. Many clubs won't go near him in the 1st division NOT purely because they don't want him but because they are not employing anyone at all. We are "fortunate" enough to be in a position where we are still recruiting, so to say "nobody else wants him" is not accurate either.

To say his wages will be high is missing the obvious point that he currently has no salary and our chairman has proved on numerous occasions recently that he won't pay anything more than he feels the player is worth and he can afford. I think SJ has learnt from the likes of Ruddock and Hopkin and that this will not re-occur as he won't be held to ransom on wages or conditions. With TF as his manager any disciplinary problems would not be put up with and would result in his being unemployed again!

As far as I can see, the only downside of signing Wise is any potential bad influence he has on the other members of the team or if his presence undermines team spirit. That decision will have to go to TF and SJ who hopefully will speak to the right people to gauge this and show good judgment in their decision.

It seems likely that we will get Wise as nobody else is recruiting apart from Wolves and Pompey. Either way if he joins I'll support him whilst he's in a Palace shirt on the pitch and hope that, as with Bowyer the season he was in "bother", it inspires Wise to a season of trying to prove his critics wrong.

CK
15-08-2002, 01:31 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Martin H
couple of thoughts

Wise unquestionably has:

drive and commitment
skill with the ball

some problems:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totally agree :p

My initial reaction was "Oh god not another Ruddock" but when we first got the lardy one I thought he would be a good acquisition. Experience to bring on the kids, combative and a bit of a leader. He turned out to be a bad gamble.
Wise could go the same way, he comes with a bit of baggage but I think he's worth the risk. If it goes pearshaped then they'll all say I told you so. But if he clicks he could be the driving force we've lacked for ages.

Gotta be worth the gamble init:p

Two-Tone
15-08-2002, 01:46 PM
The older guys haven;t alwsys been bad. For every Ruddock there is a Paul Stewart, and Ray Houghton lurking.

AJ1969
15-08-2002, 02:02 PM
I think Wise may be an OK signing for 1 season to help us up to the premier league. Yes he's a bad tempered ageing vindictive little man but he'd also bring some well needed top flight experience to our midfield which should serve us in good stead in the 1st division. He's also a battler and he's not a bad passer of the ball. Also, he's OK going forward and IMHO is also a reasonably good 'leader' on the pitch. I would have concerns around the mentality he brings to the dressing room though. The last thing we need is a bunch of practical jokers forming camps and going out on the pi$$ every night. Anyway, according to his mum in the advert on telly he's actually a sweet lad :)

Barney Gumble
15-08-2002, 02:04 PM
This has Neil Ruddock and Jamie Pollock (remember him) written all over it. I for one will not be bothered if we signed Wise.

I would rather sign Gazza, or re-sign Simon Rodger.

We had a creative midfielder in Jovan....??????

Does not make sense to me. However I am not a football manager (neither is Francis).

HappyLarry
15-08-2002, 02:20 PM
From the Evenoing Standard:

Meanwhile, Palace chairman Simon Jordan has confirmed his club are in talks with Dennis Wise. The controversial former England international was sacked by Leicester earlier this month for an alleged incident with team-mate Callum Davidson.

Wise, 35, had a one-hour meeting with Jordan and Francis and the chairman said: "There is something and nothing in this."

Er....what does that mean?

Malakite
15-08-2002, 02:29 PM
Glad to see a few people warming to the man at long last..as for the quote..it sounds like Bruce when he was and wasnt denying talking to the Brum scum! :)

howard
15-08-2002, 02:38 PM
Sign him on a short term contract, based on results and his ability to stay on the pitch(Without getting sent off). Lay the rules down from the start so he knows any of his temper antics will not be tolerated. If he agrees to sign on this basis, then he will give palace what we need in mid field.

We do not want another Ruddock situation, huge wages for doing whatever he liked for himself, and not the team.

:cool:

Malakite
15-08-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by howard
Sign him on a short term contract, based on results and his ability to stay on the pitch(Without getting sent off). Lay the rules down from the start so he knows any of his temper antics will not be tolerated. If he agrees to sign on this basis, then he will give palace what we need in mid field.

We do not want another Ruddock situation, huge wages for doing whatever he liked for himself, and not the team.

:cool:

Well said my man

Palace Don
15-08-2002, 02:54 PM
I reckon he will be offered a game by game contract.

And that quote from Jordan basically means that there is deffo something in the story. Maybe he is going to be a player coach???

RichieG
15-08-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by HappyLarry
From the Evening Standard:

Meanwhile, Palace chairman Simon Jordan has confirmed his club are in talks with Dennis Wise. The controversial former England international was sacked by Leicester earlier this month for an alleged incident with team-mate Callum Davidson.

Wise, 35, had a one-hour meeting with Jordan and Francis and the chairman said: "There is something and nothing in this."

Er....what does that mean?

I would guess that it means there is something in it...[Jordan and Francis have indeed discussed terms with Wise] but also nothing in it...[His wage demands were off the planet and it won't go any further]

That's my guess anyway! I was firmly in the Gooders camp, as outlined above...........but I can't see it happening now

Al From Bromley
15-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Malakite me old son and Padovano lookalike, your argument is very weak and frankly, it sucks. it's not about whether i can play football (totally irrelevant) or whether I would give him abuse or not (I wouldnt). I have never abused any player in a Palace shirt and would never consider doing so. never understood why people bother going along if all they can do for 90 minutes is be miserable. What it's about is Denis Wise's persona and his past. In case you haven't noticed, he has attracted adverse publicity throughout his career - whether it be breaking the jaw of a team mate or having a ruck with a taxi drvier. He's an angry and frustrated individual coming towards the twilight of his career. he knows he has underachieved due to a dodgy personality and, what's more, he hasnt been the same since he left Chelsea. Obviously he wants a few more bob to feather his nest with but I would hate it that good old Palace are the club to provide him with his preparatory school for the rest home. We have a squad at the moment which isnt full of fancy dans or champagne charlies yet if Wise comes along he will stick out like a sore thumb. The press will be lurking like vultures just waiting for him to slip up...which will only be a matter of time as every manager we play against's first instruction to his players would be to give Wise a bit of stick to see if he reacts - which he would. Of course, if he comes I would give him every support (though due to circumstances this year I wont be able to go much) just as I have for Akinbiyi, Austin and every other player that some fans have turned into scapegoats but I would much prefer it if Palace didnt have the spotlight on them again for the wrong reasons as usual but rather went quietly about their business and built up a squad that bore no grudges because their was an overpaid, over sensitive prima donna in their ranks. That is my opinion of him but that doesnt mean that i will sit in the stand being bitter, twisted and mindless about it. If Jordan and francis buy him, good luck to them, i just don't think he is the sort of character palace need.

bald-eagle
15-08-2002, 03:07 PM
you very well be a top bloke, but there are a lot of do gooders on this board who still listen to their mum..
all credit to the club, where others fold and fail to recruit, we continue.
surely EVERYONE is happy with our trading......

WISE will be far and away the best recruit we've had for ages....

it's like saying Oasis play crap tunes because Liam and Noel are cokheads..just doesn't cut it I'm afraid..

No, it's like saying "I think Liam and Noel are cockheads and I don't want them in my band"

I think overall people admit he was a top class player a few years ago, maybe he still is or maybe he's started on the downhill slope that affects most 32/33 year old players and that his past record of behavious is something a lot of people don't want at their club. This is clearly shown on the TF cuff's AK thread, and he's our current manager!

I think maybe you've misjudged the psyche of the supporters, and the image they want the club to portray. Calling everybody tossers and do gooders just because you do not agree with their views is a bit hasty.

ozeagle
15-08-2002, 03:07 PM
I simply cannot believe the buffoonery on this board, we are getting the bloke for NIL, 2.5 mill less than Akinbiyi (what a joke )..and he'll surely be on a performance based contract.
All credit to SJ and TF for their recruiting policy...

If we get Dennis, we go up, simple as that. Removes our worst starting player to the stands, Rihalati...

Beanie
15-08-2002, 03:21 PM

No, it's like saying "I think Liam and Noel are cockheads and I don't want them in my band"

I think overall people admit he was a top class player a few years ago, maybe he still is or maybe he's started on the downhill slope that affects most 32/33 year old players and that his past record of behavious is something a lot of people don't want at their club. This is clearly shown on the TF cuff's AK thread, and he's our current manager!

I think maybe you've misjudged the psyche of the supporters, and the image they want the club to portray. Calling everybody tossers and do gooders just because you do not agree with their views is a bit hasty.

With you totally - Wise is the sort of player I would not want associated with Palace. Nothing to do with good, bad or cost, he is just not the sort of reputation I'd want in a Palace shirt. Don't believe he would be the difference between going up or not, and he certainly wouldn't make it a certainty, but if he did I'd still prefer not to see him at Palace.

Malakite
15-08-2002, 03:22 PM
Bromley, yes thats a good post mate and well said...I know you are always behind players in a shirt, and its nice to see for a change!! However, I know he hasnt been his best since CHelsea..but WHY?..perhaps its becuase Leceister were on a downward spiral before he even joined, and the moral was shot to pieces etc etc..who knows? The fact of the matter is that some of us still rate him, and although he has an awful temper (I agree with you 100% there no worries) I think its a bit much when pessamistic Palace fans start getting on the mans back before he is even given a chance of wearing a shirt!! Lets see what happens in a few weeks time..........

Al From Bromley
15-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Sorry Oz but I wouldnt talk of buffoonery if I was you. Wise would be yet another player on high wages (Symons and Fleming £8k a week each) with no residual value. People like Derry and Butterfield and Powell may have cost money but they are on far less and should we need to, they will be worth something if they move on. The buffoon is someone who blows his wad on high wages believing they can by their way out of a situation. Palace are, at last, investing in players with a future, not a past. Ask yourself this - if Wise is still so good, why didnt we hear lots of rave reviews about him last seaosn and why did Leicester chuck him out? Surely if he is the player around which the team is built they would hush up a little misdemeanour like beating up a colleague? Oh but hang on, Denis has a bit of history of that kind of thing doesnt he? Best get rid of him. Now if they've seen the light why the feck can't we?

pedro
15-08-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Grunt
Out of interest (as an expat who hasn't seen them play) do you think that was the case at Middlesbrough?

Absolutely, they were very ordinary last season and Ince along with Southgate were the major reason they are still in the Premiership.

Clapham Grand
15-08-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Blind_Eagle
If this was yet another 'Jordan' signing I would be scared witless.

If Francis is behind it I would be inclined to see it in a more positive light. After all the general concensus on the BBS recently is that TF's signings have been pretty astute.

Surely this is the key point. I cannot for a moment believe that Dennis Wise is a TF signing. It has all the hallmarks of SJ wanting a high-profile player to once again get Palace and himself into the spotlight.

Look at TF's signings over the summer - all fairly low profile solid young players with good futures ahead of them. Wise is the opposite of this in every respect, and SJ had better make sure he keeps Wise on the straight and narrow and not get screwed on a long contract and/or high wages.

Whether or not Wise is a good signing as far as the team is concrened is another point altogether, but hsi prospective signing seems bizarre and not TF-like at all. I wonder what he feels like if the chairman is buying players he doesn't actually want :o

bald-eagle
15-08-2002, 03:40 PM

If we get Dennis, we go up, simple as that. Removes our worst starting player to the stands, Rihalati...

Is that the same Riihilahti that.....urrrm, didn't start on tuesday?

pedro
15-08-2002, 03:40 PM
People keep bringing up the 'Callum Davidson' incident but there are punch ups at clubs every week but there is an unwritten code which normally keeps things in house. Whether this was leaked deliberately by Leicester to justify sacking Wise is open for discussion but it is abit unfair to think of this as an isolated incident. Remember Hartson booting Berkovic in the face, remember Ljungberg and Mellberg at the World Cup, remember Todd and Keily at Clowntown etc etc etc. Forget why Leicester got rid of him and concentrate on whether he can improve Palace as a team or not, that is all we should be interested in.
This is two players that Leicester don't want that have ended up at Palace (probably in Wise's case) and they say things happen in three's. Muzzy Izzet anyone?

Teddy
15-08-2002, 03:43 PM
I'm Ok with it. I reckon he'd be good for us.

David of Kent
15-08-2002, 03:54 PM
Good and bad points aplenty.

Why did somebody say they didn't want Wise here whether he helped us get promoted or not? If he helped us to promotion I wouldn't care that he kicked in somebodys black cab six years ago. It hardly makes him the scum of the earth. Besides you're not inviting him to join your family and babysit your children, we're looking at him playing football for the team we support. It wouldn't be a personal afront. Chill out a bit guys!!

Why didn't he get rave reviews last season? Don't know any Leicester player that did and they've got plenty that are more than good enough for this division, Izzet, Elliot, Taggart... plus wasn't he injured for a huge chunk of the season.

Why did Leicester get rid of him? They have a crippling wage bill, they are playing two players in their 1st team at the moments who aren't getting paid above expenses. Any club in that situation presented with a chance to offload a 35 year old who is their major wages debt would be foolish not to when he presents them with a good reason to sack him.

As I've said before the only reason not to recruit him seems to be on grounds of discipline and the effect on team spirit. It's up to you SJ & TF ;)

PeterH
15-08-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Malakite
Glad to see a few people warming to the man at long last..as for the quote..it sounds like Bruce when he was and wasnt denying talking to the Brum scum! :)

Only warming on the basis that what looked highly unlikely now looks highly possible. Thus the Palace bias rose tinted blinkers have come down so fast.

Why take the gamble. Who wants to ask SJ at the fans forum in three months why did we buy Wise. Who wants to argue the toss with him that it was him interfering in team matters and transfers, playing fantasy league manager and it unsettled a manager that was just settling into the job nicely.

He has undoubted strengths as a footballer. He is no Paul Stewart or Steve Staunton though. Those on 4k+ a week are going to love it when he his sitting on say 15k a week while suspended for example.

I think SJ is saying yeah we have had a word with him, Trevors not convinced and Monster Monsters wage demands are a bit much. Come back and see us in a month when you are still out of work and will negotiate again.

RichieG
15-08-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by PeterH

Only warming on the basis that what looked highly unlikely now looks highly possible. Thus the Palace bias rose tinted blinkers have come down so fast.

Why take the gamble. Who wants to ask SJ at the fans forum in three months why did we buy Wise. Who wants to argue the toss with him that it was him interfering in team matters and transfers, playing fantasy league manager and it unsettled a manager that was just settling into the job nicely.

He has undoubted strengths as a footballer. He is no Paul Stewart or Steve Staunton though. Those on 4k+ a week are going to love it when he his sitting on say 15k a week while suspended for example.

I think SJ is saying yeah we have had a word with him, Trevors not convinced and Monster Monsters wage demands are a bit much. Come back and see us in a month when you are still out of work and will negotiate again.

Indeed Peter, I agree, this one will go quiet for a while, probably be an article in the w/e press saying we couldn't agree to DW's wage demands and then if he comes back to the table in a week or so once he realises that no-one else will have him - fair enough.

I don't think he'd be a bad asset as long as he didn't get paid anymore than Symons or Fleming for example.

Ralph
15-08-2002, 04:14 PM
People keep bringing up the 'Callum Davidson' incident but there are punch ups at clubs every week

I agree, Our manager has just thumped our international reserve goalkeeper, lets not be hypocrits! Take him on a monthyl basis I say, lets not tie ourselves to him. He needs us more than we need him at the moment!

ozeagle
15-08-2002, 04:24 PM
Sorry Oz but I wouldnt talk of buffoonery if I was you. Wise would be yet another player on high wages (Symons and Fleming £8k a week each) with no residual value. People like Derry and Butterfield and Powell may have cost money but they are on far less and should we need to, they will be worth something if they move on. The buffoon is someone who blows his wad on high wages believing they can by their way out of a situation. Palace are, at last, investing in players with a future, not a past. Ask yourself this - if Wise is still so good, why didnt we hear lots of rave reviews about him last seaosn and why did Leicester chuck him out? Surely if he is the player around which the team is built they would hush up a little misdemeanour like beating up a colleague? Oh but hang on, Denis has a bit of history of that kind of thing doesnt he? Best get rid of him. Now if they've seen the light why the feck can't we?

i go for it Al, some of our players need a little beating up - it's time to stop being nice, and stop being content to play Div 1 football...as for blowing your load on big wages...ha ha ha Akinbiyi..Leicester must be laughing themselves stupid over that one, had we waited til end of 2002 season we'd had got him for 500K tops...2.4 mill for him, we could have bought Koumas with mega residual value.....

leicester chucked him out because he was a fockknuckle, not because he was no good....

we will see the light and GET WISE - bring him in !!

we should take him on a performance based contract !!!

once he starts putting dougie, aj and ebola through week after week, we'll see how you all feel...

anyway, all things said, at least it will eliminate Rihahlati....(it's not good enough to have a funny website)....

ozeagle
15-08-2002, 04:25 PM

Is that the same Riihilahti that.....urrrm, didn't start on tuesday?

Yep, finally Trev's seen the light....

Al From Bromley
15-08-2002, 04:29 PM
Whilst we're at it then lets get Bowyer, Woodhouse and Jody Morris for good measure. oh and does anyone know where Mark dennis lives these days? We could have the Dennis and Denis show every week.

Beanie
15-08-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by RichieG

I would guess that it means there is something in it...[Jordan and Francis have indeed discussed terms with Wise] but also nothing in it...[His wage demands were off the planet and it won't go any further]

That's my guess anyway! I was firmly in the Gooders camp, as outlined above...........but I can't see it happening now

Interetsing how phrases exist in different place but are meaningless elsewhere.

"something & nothing" is a commonish description where I am, and is summed up pretty well abovt - something happened, but nothing will come of it

Malakite
15-08-2002, 04:32 PM

i go for it Al, some of our players need a little beating up - it's time to stop being nice, and stop being content to play Div 1 football...as for blowing your load on big wages...ha ha ha Akinbiyi..Leicester must be laughing themselves stupid over that one, had we waited til end of 2002 season we'd had got him for 500K tops...2.4 mill for him, we could have bought Koumas with mega residual value.....

leicester chucked him out because he was a fockknuckle, not because he was no good....

we will see the light and GET WISE - bring him in !!

we should take him on a performance based contract !!!

once he starts putting dougie, aj and ebola through week after week, we'll see how you all feel...

anyway, all things said, at least it will eliminate Rihahlati....(it's not good enough to have a funny website)....

Well said my man..(apart from the Rihahlati comment of course!!):p

Gark Moldberg
15-08-2002, 04:33 PM
I'm confused how peoplw on here have come to the conclusion that it is a Jordan signing and that Francis has no say in the matter. Is this because the quote in todays papers is From SJ? Because SJ was the one who talked to him?

A pay as you plaay deal for the rest of the season would be a good idea. Another option is to not pay him much and allow him to leave if a better option comes along. How about offering a contract for a month or two to see how much effort he puts in a la Mildews offer to Andy Roberts.

ozeagle
15-08-2002, 04:43 PM
Whilst we're at it then lets get Bowyer, Woodhouse and Jody Morris for good measure. oh and does anyone know where Mark dennis lives these days? We could have the Dennis and Denis show every week.

you beauty, throw in Cantona and Keane and we'll have recruited 5 premiership players in a week which begs the question ...

would you rather go up under a bunch of prats, winning every game, or languish in Div 1 with a group of nice blokes...

Al From Bromley
15-08-2002, 04:45 PM
An interesting theory but I am far from convinced it is the solution. Didnt Alan Smith get ridiculed for saying we had to get tougher? Is this what he had in mind?

firesign
15-08-2002, 04:48 PM

you beauty, throw in Cantona and Keane and we'll have recruited 5 premiership players in a week which begs the question ...

would you rather go up under a bunch of prats, winning every game, or languish in Div 1 with a group of nice blokes...

I'd rather be promoted with a group of nice blokes than stay in Div 1 with a bunch of prats - a scenario which is just as likely as the one you suggested.

Denis Wise? No thanks, we simply don't need him.

bald-eagle
15-08-2002, 04:49 PM
We are not in the position that we need to offer people "pay as you play" contracts, IMO they are disruptive to the squad and hardly a long term plan. I would rather not sign him since it can only ever be a short term thing, I'd rather dig up a Koumas from the lower leagues and bring him through. I don't think we are really lacking in the middle, except a ball player....(clearly wise is not this, even if his passing is adequate)...and these are few and far between, especially in the nationwide. Derry, Butterfield and Mullins could be together for several years as a very effective midfield.....let's not spoil that for the sake of a one season experiment.

As for Wise needing us more than we need him.......Please... the bloke's been on 30 grand a week for f@cking years, I don't think a few months off will have him cashing in his pension!

Stubby
15-08-2002, 04:49 PM

Absolutely, they were very ordinary last season and Ince along with Southgate were the major reason they are still in the Premiership.

Well Pedro (yes I am defending the Boro) I am sure all Palace fans would settle to be 'very ordinary' and finish 12th in the premiership !!!!

ozeagle
15-08-2002, 04:51 PM
i don't care what the majority of soft assed fans want..i want us to go up and win games.....i love 25 miles, and want to hear it as often as possible, who knocks them in is irrelevant..

answer the question Al, UP or stay DOWN ?

Malakite
15-08-2002, 04:54 PM
UP UP UP UP!!!! Do you mean you LIVE oz?!!

ozeagle
15-08-2002, 04:57 PM
love you moppet, like sagapour, sagapour...

bald-eagle
15-08-2002, 04:59 PM
I like soft assed fans:D

ozeagle
15-08-2002, 05:05 PM
why would be rather stay down than take on a prat and go up..

eagle mart
15-08-2002, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Malakite

You pedantic idiot, as if anyone living or breathing would think that Wise was a Forward. I meant it as goal scoring midfielder - which is what we lack.

Palace Don
15-08-2002, 05:13 PM
People keep bringing up the 'Callum Davidson' incident but there are punch ups at clubs every week but there is an unwritten code which normally keeps things in house. Whether this was leaked deliberately by Leicester to justify sacking Wise is open for discussion but it is abit unfair to think of this as an isolated incident. Remember Hartson booting Berkovic in the face, remember Ljungberg and Mellberg at the World Cup, remember Todd and Keily at Clowntown etc etc etc.

Thing is that the Wise-Davison incident was one-way. Davidson tried to stop a game of cards, and Wise didnt like it. Wise then went into Davisons hotel room and broke his jaw.

The guy is an animal, but saying that might give us a bit extra in midfield for a season. Not worth the wages though, and so game by game contract would be the best idea...

I reckon it is deffo a Jordan signing.:rolleyes:

Palace Don
15-08-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by David of Kent
Why did Leicester get rid of him? They have a crippling wage bill, they are playing two players in their 1st team at the moments who aren't getting paid above expenses.

And owe 31M on their ground!:eek:

Malakite
15-08-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by eagle mart
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Malakite

You pedantic idiot, as if anyone living or breathing would think that Wise was a Forward. I meant it as goal scoring midfielder - which is what we lack.

First of all DONT go calling people names on the BBS mate GROW UP its not funny. Secondly I asked as I presume you know of a midfielder who scores 20 a season do you??

AJ
15-08-2002, 05:51 PM
People keep bringing up the 'Callum Davidson' incident but there are punch ups at clubs every week

Yep, agree didn't Francis thump Kolinko on Tuesday?

I think this is a stupid move, but, if it's a short term contract(max of 1 year) and not on stupid wages, it could work out.

Also, talking of thugs, I have heard on many occasions that a certain Alan Shearer has taken matters into his own hands in the past:eek:

eagle mart
15-08-2002, 05:55 PM
Grow up? Pot, black, kettle.

In that one sentence you were rude, patronising as well as managing to take my quote out of context (which except from any Banjo/Brett comment could be a record.)
Sorry, just being pedantic, I didn't see the words, 'do you know a 20 goal midfielder?' in your reply sentence; sounds like your trying double back on it. And please don't try and take the moral high ground asking me to grow up - it just makes you look arrogant of which there is an abundance of around here.

Malakite
15-08-2002, 05:57 PM
oh dear. It does make me laugh how you people start arguments out of nothing with your OWN supporters. I did not mean to sound rude mate, RUDE is calling people names, its pathetic really.

Latvian
15-08-2002, 06:02 PM
Wise would be a good addition on the right cash - hed make our midfield fight for there place by giving us some much needed midfield depth

ok he can cross - but....

CAN WE HAVE SOMEONE CREATIVE PLEASE?

ozeagle
15-08-2002, 06:28 PM
someone creative......

wise is as creative as we are likely to get....we could always bid for zidane....

Latvian
15-08-2002, 06:31 PM
someone creative......

wise is as creative as we are likely to get....we could always bid for zidane....

jordon put ur money where ur mouth is and give me some of that Koumas

ozeagle
15-08-2002, 06:42 PM
we could have had him, then we went and got ade...

markholmes1991
15-08-2002, 06:43 PM
On the subject of creative, I donít understand why we didnít make a move for Merson. Iím sure the fact weíre based in London could have had a major affect on his final choice (had we gone for him). He has taken a pay cut in an order to play first team football, it was suggested in last weeks press heís earning £10,000 a week, and when you compare that to Hopkins salary, it seems minimal.
Not a great fan of Wise, but believe he could be useful acquisition. Would opt for Sherwood though come push to shove. Despite his recent critics Sherwood has always conducted himself in a professional manner.

Latvian
15-08-2002, 06:44 PM
we could have had him, then we went and got ade...
thanks for reminding me :(

Jaffa
15-08-2002, 06:44 PM
Get real, Koumas will not go to anywhere other than a Merseyside club.

He is Joey Beauchamp Mk 2.

markholmes1991
15-08-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Latvian
jordon put ur money where ur mouth is and give me some of that Koumas

It has been made well known koumas is reluctant to leave the Liverpool area. He has already turned down various moves to ďbiggerĒ clubs in order to remain within the area.
To be honest in a year or two heís going to have to ask himself whether he wants to go onto better things. In order to do this surely heíd have to move away from Prenton Park. Some people question his ambition, but time will tell.

Malakite
15-08-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by markholmes1991
On the subject of creative, I donít understand why we didnít make a move for Merson. Iím sure the fact weíre based in London could have had a major affect on his final choice (had we gone for him). He has taken a pay cut in an order to play first team football, it was suggested in last weeks press heís earning £10,000 a week, and when you compare that to Hopkins salary, it seems minimal.
Not a great fan of Wise, but believe he could be useful acquisition. Would opt for Sherwood though come push to shove. Despite his recent critics Sherwood has always conducted himself in a professional manner.

I agree....Merson...WHY Pompey??

Latvian
15-08-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Malakite

I agree....Merson...WHY Pompey??

£$Ä

Neil the Eagle
15-08-2002, 06:52 PM
Could 'something and nothing' possibly mean:

'Yes we had talks, but no we ain't gonna sign him' ??

LLCOOLSTEVE
15-08-2002, 06:56 PM
Dennis Wise, can't see it happeing, To much of a wide boy, no way him and SJ would get on.

Think we should try and go for another Andy Johnson, this time from WBA, he has asked for a transfer, lack of first team oppurtunitys for him.

ozeagle
15-08-2002, 06:57 PM

forget what is gone..look forward to what we have to come, wise and promotion....

markholmes1991
15-08-2002, 06:58 PM
My gut feeling is we won't sign him. If we do, I believe he will probably sign a one/two month contract whilst being free to talk to other clubs. The one thing Wise needs is first team football to put himself in the window and what with him living near by could be the "wise" move in the short-term

Malakite
15-08-2002, 07:02 PM
My gut feeling is we won't sign him. If we do, I believe he will probably sign a one/two month contract whilst being free to talk to other clubs. The one thing Wise needs is first team football to put himself in the window and what with him living near by could be the "wise" move in the short-term

I agree...expect him to stay about as long as Staughton did :(

markholmes1991
15-08-2002, 07:08 PM
Staunton worked well for both parties. We were in dire straits financially, and he was out in the cold in Liverpool. Coming to Palace put him in the window again.

brighton_eagle
15-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Sorry Malakite and oz eagle....you talk a good talk, but this thing smells bad to me.

I won't deny that Wise was (was) a good player. But he did nothing of value at Leicester, he's not going to want to drop too far from his alleged 30k a week (at least not yet), and I don't want us to yet again end up with an old, past it player on stupid wages. We were lucky to get shot of Ruddock, who was also at one time a talented player but was also too much of a thug. Ruddock sickened me as a palace player. No doubt you guys were amongst those cheering him when he got sent off against Marcus Bent. Well, Bent pulled his strings my friends, and Wise will be done in the same way. What we need is to get our midfielders playing. We need Mullins to start showing what some of us think he has, we need Aki to show the form he displayed when he fisrt joined us, and we need Derry to become the player we want him to be.

We don't need a 35?? year old has been to use us as a final pay day. And if you doubt that, think about who he ******* agent is.

ozeagle
15-08-2002, 07:19 PM
aki, oh dear , he is so so bad..