PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Has last nights game totally changed our transfer policy?

arm chair eagle
11-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Has last nights game totally changed our transfer policy
I know I may be getting carried away, but I honestly think we now only need 2 players in.
We all know we need a quality left back .
We have 3 solid centre backs and Kelly will end up as a centre back at some stage making 4. Dann ,Damo,Hag
We have Loads of right backs.
We have 3 def centre midfielders. Jed, Led,Gued
We have 3 creative centre midfielders. Mcar,Ban,Will
We have lots of options on the wings Zaha ,Bol,Punch
We also now have 2 fast forwards Gayle and Cam and 2 forwards to hold the ball up. Murray Cham.

I honestly don't know who we could bring in?

spt1978
11-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Not really, still think we need a CB, LB and big physical CF.

Jedi back-up would be nice.

PalaceForever
11-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Nice try, Steve :D

Palaceborn
11-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Last night will not have changed anything at all. Hopefully the next few games, albeit meaning the end of the window, will show potential targets we can be a mid table team and not a bottom 3 team. A win against Burnley and we could be as high as 12th if results go our way.

Yes we have options but need that extra quality

GBG_Eagle
11-01-2015, 12:21 PM
A strong forward that can score goals regularly. Murray could be that guy, but we can't really bet on it. Gomis might be the one.

A left back. Pape Souare?

Someone on the wings, with an end product. Not sure who. Bolase and Zaha are getting better, but we might need some competition for them also.

CB is not something that seems worrying, not for this season at least. Damo, Dann and Hangeland are all good, and Marriappa and Kelly are good backups to them.

CM might need an alternative, but it's probably going to be really tricky to find one that's better then we have now.

Danny boy
11-01-2015, 12:24 PM
I know I may be getting carried away, but I honestly think we now only need 2 players in.
We have 3 solid centre backs and Kelly will end up as a centre back at some stage making 4. Dann ,Damo,Hag
We also now have 2 fast forwards Gayle and Cam and 2 forwards to hold the ball up. Murray Cham.

I would say we need 3 players in LB, CB and ST hopefully we buy quality and not try do it on the cheap

plectrum
11-01-2015, 12:25 PM

No.

a) we have 1 strong CB, we have 2 others that make critical mistakes in every single game they've played this season.
b) Central midfield is stong but Jedi is out for 2 more games and is carrying a small injury, McArthur is now injured for a period as such we probably need one more dynamo.
c) Wingers are realsonable but dont forget a couple of games back with the same three int eh team Thomas got a play which shows how thin we are.
d) whilst we have numbers none of them are scoring at present bar penalties.

Lovely win yesterday and typically Palace i.e. goals coming from players all over the pitch but same 3 positions CB:LB:CF and now possibly CM.

mb23
11-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Definitely need a striker in. I think we could do with another attacking midfielder who scores goals, a full back and maybe even some CM cover with prem experience.

plectrum
11-01-2015, 12:27 PM
A strong forward that can score goals regularly. Murray could be that guy, but we can't really bet on it. Gomis might be the one.

A left back. Pape Souare?

Someone on the wings, with an end product. Not sure who. Bolase and Zaha are getting better, but we might need some competition for them also.

CB is not something that seems worrying, not for this season at least. Damo, Dann and Hangeland are all good, and Marriappa and Kelly are good backups to them.

CM might need an alternative, but it's probably going to be really tricky to find one that's better then we have now.

Ive watched all of every single PL game (thanks Wiziwig RIP) and Damo or Hangeland dont get through 90ms without making at least one serious mistake. Some have cost us goals, some we've got lucky. What is clear is that neither are on the level of Dann and that is what we need another Dann. I think both are decent cover and probably better than most other's cover but they are not first 11 CBs

SJ'sLoveMonkey
11-01-2015, 12:31 PM

:D:p

TC EAGLE
11-01-2015, 12:33 PM
need some to cover Jedi and McArther now asap

Jono14
11-01-2015, 12:35 PM
We still need a LB and a striker, possibly another CB too but I don't think there's an urgency for that in this window.

Sydenham Eagle
11-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Shaun Maloney would be a great signing. Also amazed McManaman is still at Wigan

cdm61
11-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Left back, centre forward are a must in this window....we will struggle without them...agree on quality centre back....but Kelly could be that...so that's why a left back and a good one...is essential....we don't have a goal threat - we need someone to get us 10 goals the second half of the season...(no FFS won't do it)

GBG_Eagle
11-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Ive watched all of every single PL game (thanks Wiziwig RIP) and Damo or Hangeland dont get through 90ms without making at least one serious mistake. Some have cost us goals, some we've got lucky. What is clear is that neither are on the level of Dann and that is what we need another Dann. I think both are decent cover and probably better than most other's cover but they are not first 11 CBs

We can improve there, no doubt, but in this transfer window we're probably going to get 2 players, max 3, and I don't think any of those should be a CB.

First we need a strong forward.
Then an LB.
If we're getting anything more, I would say someone for the wings, or a CM.
Then a CB.

IMHO.

Abjekt
11-01-2015, 12:45 PM
If anything I think last night's game will have given us a boost in trying to bring players in. Maybe a small difference, but the atmosphere at the ground was loud and the second half in particular was a good advert for players who may be thinking about coming to Palace in the window.

plectrum
11-01-2015, 12:52 PM
We can improve there, no doubt, but in this transfer window we're probably going to get 2 players, max 3, and I don't think any of those should be a CB.

First we need a strong forward.
Then an LB.
If we're getting anything more, I would say someone for the wings, or a CM.
Then a CB.

IMHO.

My opinion having watched for 28 yrs and played football for similar time is that a CB is the absolute priority. Goals get scored mainly from central positions and if we are rock like there the full bks are under less scrutiny.

Whilst it would be nice to have a proper goal scoring striker we are still scoring regularly so clean sheets become more essential.

Anyhow here's hoping we get them all

ThisIsDoM
11-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Strong Forward + Left Back. Whilst I am happy with the current 3 CB's for this season, Delaney and Hangelaand will both be 34 in the summer and we need to start looking to the future.

DARZET EAGLE
11-01-2015, 01:14 PM
Last night will not have changed anything at all. Hopefully the next few games, albeit meaning the end of the window, will show potential targets we can be a mid table team and not a bottom 3 team. A win against Burnley and we could be as high as 12th if results go our way.

Yes we have options but need that extra quality

We need one or two Mavericks according to AP.

AJ
11-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Still think we need at least one, maybe two strikers as Murray, Campbell and Gayle are not good enough ( they may have the odd good game), but they don't score enough for starters. QPR and Burnley are not dead and buried already this season due to having one 20 goal a season marksmen in their teams. Lb is a must. We have a lot of midfielders and some will need to leave for others to come in.

arm chair eagle
11-01-2015, 01:24 PM

Don't all players make mistakes. Remember Dann's major cock up against Aston Villa.

GBG_Eagle
11-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Whilst it would be nice to have a proper goal scoring striker we are still scoring regularly so clean sheets become more essential.

Anyhow here's hoping we get them all

Scoring regularly? Didn't we go 5 games in the last 7 before Pardew without scoring?

arm chair eagle
11-01-2015, 01:30 PM
:D:p

:lux::lux::lux:

arm chair eagle
11-01-2015, 01:30 PM

adrenalin john
11-01-2015, 01:34 PM
It's going to be a tough window (as is every) because - contrary to BBS opinion - we have done so well in previous ones.

Puncheon 1.7mill
Ledley? (can't remember)
Dann 2.5mill
Delaney free
Ward 400k
Kelly 1.6mill
Bolasie 200k
Murray free
Jedi Free

even Gayle and Mcarthur, our 2 record signings, are in no way overpriced

Crozzy71
11-01-2015, 01:35 PM
Some of it depends on what Pardew thinks he can get out of Bannon and Guediora. He clearly rates Bannon, but his inability to stamp his authority on the game yesterday worried me. We need a bit more than busy scurrying around.

Chamakh can also play behind the striker, but he needs to up his game. His link play is good and we know technically he's one of our best, but we need much, much more end product, be it goals or assists.

IMO we need:

LB - a proper one is needed
CB - as others have said here a solid partner for Dann is needed, unless we already have it in Kelly or Marriappa, but they depends on getting a full time LB
CM - depends on what I've said above. I think McArthur could be the answer
CF - I think we need two. Campbell isn't good enough for me and should be sent out on loan or sold. Gayle has it but needs to show it more consistently. Murray will score goals if he has support from the CAM and wingers.

Easy !!

arm chair eagle
11-01-2015, 01:38 PM
The squad is so strong now compared to last year. That any player worth under £7 million is not worth having. Look as Mcarthur as an example you get what you pay for. Quality players don't come cheap

L'kooch
11-01-2015, 01:41 PM
not sure i agree with your assessment m8

tasty_snacks
11-01-2015, 01:41 PM
You can't have it both ways. If you were calling for Warnock's head and believe that a new manager genuinely makes a massive difference, then you have to accept that we now have different ambitions in the transfer window because of that transformation.

My stance is that a CB and LB are required. I don't subscribe to the idea of an expensive striker - I have believed from the off this season that Glenn is the answer, and look forward to seeing him rattle in the goals after a run in the side.

Mr Bo Jangles
11-01-2015, 01:46 PM
The squad is so strong now compared to last year. That any player worth under £7 million is not worth having. Look as Mcarthur as an example you get what you pay for. Quality players don't come cheap

But if we don't want to be relegation strugglers every year until our luck runs out we need to invest in quality players that will improve the squad. Unless we get lucky and can pick up the odd player on a free or bring players through the youth set up it is going to cost serious money. Three players are needed and have been for 18 months, if we don't get at least one or two this window we will still struggle. We want to compete at the next level.

Henfield Eagle
11-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Quality Left back for Me will do it....Mind You...what the #### do I know...only watch TV games:(

cantspell
11-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Mister Marker e/w in the next 14/1 Nicky Richards stable in form

elgin eagle
11-01-2015, 02:13 PM
You can't have it both ways. If you were calling for Warnock's head and believe that a new manager genuinely makes a massive difference, then you have to accept that we now have different ambitions in the transfer window because of that transformation.

My stance is that a CB and LB are required. I don't subscribe to the idea of an expensive striker - I have believed from the off this season that Glenn is the answer, and look forward to seeing him rattle in the goals after a run in the side.

Having a manager that everyone gets behind is massive though. I'd still like us to go for another big striker, as we are one injury to murray short of being back to the problem that NW faced since August. Pardew is getting a good opportunity to look at the rest of the squad with Chamakh, Jedinak and Bolasie missing. One decent left back and big striker and we'll have a decent plan B that doesn't involve strangling the midfield and one outlet only to bolasie.

palacea
11-01-2015, 02:18 PM
How anyone can say we don't need a striker of better quality is beyond me.

Excowboy
11-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Hasn't really changed anything. We still really need a LB and a striker. It does look less desperate than it did, though:

Kelly did a good job pressing his winger upfield even though his positioning around the edge of box still looks a bit suspect. And Murray really impressed me, but we could still do with that big pacey striker to put defences under pressure.

I think the main effect it had (barring the blow of McArthur getting injured) was to show that the cover in our squad for Bolasie, Jedinak and Chamakh is better than we thought:

I think Gayle did alright on the wing - he'll have to adapt his game to that if he wants to start games rather than being an impact sub and it looks like he has - he put in some decent crosses, cut inside and improved his tracking back in the second half. Wilf looked a lot better too, maybe Pardew has given him that bit of inspiration that he needs.

The McArthur thing is a worry though - lets hope it's a bit of bruising and not a break. If he's back in a week or two, Jedi will have a job getting back into the team - Ledley was good defensively against Spurs and his passing is in a league above Jedi.

Stavros 69
11-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Goalkeepers - fine

Defence
I have never thought we're desperate for a LB right now.
We have enough at the back to get us through till the summer.
In the summer we need a proper CB to play next to Dann and probably a LB.

Midfield
Still think we need another winger and creative MF
In the holding role we can play Jedi, Ledley, MacArthur, Pep and Ward
Creative we have Bannan, Pep and Chamakh
We are at least one short here.

Wingers - Zaha, Punch, Bolasie
One short

Attack
We need someone to lead the line and now. This is the priority
Back up is Murray (who will leave in the summer for regular football) Gayle and Campbell (who I think will move on too)

cockles
11-01-2015, 02:34 PM
No change aside from maybe the impact of injury to a 1st choice midfielder.

Henfield Eagle
11-01-2015, 02:37 PM
How anyone can say we don't need a striker of better quality is beyond me.

As I said... I know f### all..as I only watch on TV from the other side of the world... I just think there are goals In Muz, DG, Punch,Cham and Wilf......+ midfield and Dann The Man..... The Squad looks pretty unified....The risk of a Big time Charlie coming in and Under performing at huge expense worries Me a tad

spt1978
11-01-2015, 02:47 PM
I would say we need 3 players in LB, CB and ST hopefully we buy quality and not try do it on the cheap

Totally this, we need quality not average players plugging gaps.

We do not want to get to the summer saying we need a LB, CB, ST again.

arm chair eagle
11-01-2015, 02:48 PM
When you look at our best possible team. It's not worth signing anyone who is under £6-7 million.Would rather we just signing I real quality player.Other wise stick with what we have

Joe.L
11-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Left Back now please! In fact I am going to be fussy and ask for a left footed left back with experience who could go straight in the team please. We have been crying out for one for 18 months and despite a few half-hearted attempts at finding one we are still desperately in need. Ward coped admirably last season but has been found out this, Kelly has done well the last couple of games but does not convince as a long term solution, and Fryers was obviously a completely rushed decision that hasn't worked out at all. Getting one current out of favour at their club on loan for the rest of the season could be the answer, however that would stop any plans for the Sanogo loan going through.

Jerry Murphy's Fringe
11-01-2015, 02:51 PM
To answer the OP; Yes it does. It proves we are proper team with ambition and cash to spend because we are well run.
Think upgrades in terms of ability and age. So that means letting go as well as recruiting.
Need LB and CF, want another CB (linked to Ambrose in the press, for example).
We should be looking for either soon to be out of contract or peripheral established PL players such as Ings or even Dzeko on loan.

plectrum
11-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Scoring regularly? Didn't we go 5 games in the last 7 before Pardew without scoring?

in reality its always going to be hard to score beign a bottom half club but I just dont see it as important as a CB.

We've scored 22 goals which is more than WBA with 15 m rated Berhaino, more than Burnley with Ings, more than Leicester with their £8m Ulloa, more than Sunderland, more than Hull and equal with Stoke.

In the bottom 10 only QPR have scored more and thats with on fire Austin.

I wholeheartedley advocate a top quality striker but if it was the choice of 8-10m on Gomis or 5-10m on a quality CB I'd prefer to go down the CB route.

If we could rely on a more secure defence then we'd nick goals since we have other players such as Ledley, McArthur, Puncheon who can score and Murray and Gayle if actually played regularly would score.

If there is a 8-10m striker who can score 1 in 2 then bring him in if not its a big spend which imo doesnt justify the return.

arm chair eagle
11-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Left Back now please! In fact I am going to be fussy and ask for a left footed left back with experience who could go straight in the team please. We have been crying out for one for 18 months and despite a few half-hearted attempts at finding one we are still desperately in need. Ward coped admirably last season but has been found out this, Kelly has done well the last couple of games but does not convince as a long term solution, and Fryers was obviously a completely rushed decision that hasn't worked out at all. Getting one current out of favour at their club on loan for the rest of the season could be the answer, however that would stop any plans for the Sanogo loan going through.

KungFuCharlie
11-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Striker and LB still the priority.

However, I think the OP has a point with Kelly seemingly growing into the LB slot, Murray back and Chamakh not far from fitness. And then there's the McArthur injury.

Let's say we get Sonogo in on loan, and one of these foreign LBs we've been linked with - that would certainly take some pressure off for the remainder of the window to look into the other areas in need - i.e. CB and (now) CM.

Dobbo
11-01-2015, 03:23 PM
want another CB (linked to Ambrose in the press, for example).

Love to see Darren back, but don't think he's strong enough to partner Dann.

Santos-er
11-01-2015, 03:24 PM
I think the emphasis has shifted, we need a creative midfield that can score. My feeling is we're going to be less reliant countering with pace of Bolasie. Pardew is going to ask he midfield to get up and look to run in off the second ball, create some space and get the shots in earlier.

Sanogo on loan would be good as it'd give us an option up front that we don't presently have, but I honestly think Muzza can still cut it - it's all about the quality of service. His strength and ability find a yard in the box are still there. Just don't ask him to run in behind the defence or chase diagonals into the channels. He might not be a top, top quality finisher but create enough chances for him and he will score.

Much as I love Damo's commitment, he is not up to this league. I worry that any change to our ultra-defensive shape will expose him dreadfully. We do need another quality CB, maybe two. Dann getting injured again doesn't bear thinking about at the moment.

Harry Bassett
11-01-2015, 03:26 PM
The last two games under Pardew have demonstrated the importance of creativity from midfield,in my view we need to improve in that area on the pitch. I have no problem with either Pep or Bannan but putting aside last nights game both have been found wanting in the past.

We need two strikers (one of them on loan) a centre back a left back .

Hopefully raise some money by selling a couple, plus Kebe--for a free transfer c/w green shield stamps.

GB2506
11-01-2015, 03:52 PM
LB
CF

The above 2 are absolute priorities this window, without question.

Personally I still think we are short at CB. I'm not a huge fan of Delaney. Yes he is all heart and passion but as a footballer he worries me. His distribution is awful, he panics and just smashes it forward to no one. Not to mention both he and Hangeland are 34 so looking forward its a position that needs looking at.

Another winger to replace Jerome Thomas and another CM to add competition due to Williams being a walking injury and okeefe isnt up to it at this level.

So to answer the original post, no, we wont be changing our plans. We are still lacking in real quality throughout the squad.

alanlee11
11-01-2015, 03:56 PM
Striker is the priority.

Then left back.

Then a CM to cover for Jimmy Mac/Ledley/Jedi, but the player who comes in must be as good, if not better than them, we don't need another average player just to fill up the squad.

adrenalin john
11-01-2015, 04:28 PM
The last two games under Pardew have demonstrated the importance of creativity from midfield,in my view we need to improve in that area on the pitch. I have no problem with either Pep or Bannan but putting aside last nights game both have been found wanting in the past.

We have Jonny Williams. He is still here you know

Celestial Empire
11-01-2015, 04:28 PM

So you don't think Sanogo is one of he "mavericks" AP has in mind ?

glaziers fan
11-01-2015, 04:35 PM
With the new manager we have pretty much 4 new signings already: Murray and Gayle plus Bannan and Guedioura. All 4 frozen out by Warnock and all have obvious quality. Despite weaknesses in their game, all are Premiership squad quality. Great to see a manager giving opportunities to more than a set XI. Still have Joniesta to come back too.

My take on it is that we don't need a new left back anymore in this window as Kelly is competent enough for now. And we have 1 centre forward in Murray now but need another with a bit of pace. I'd be happy with just Sanogo on loan and then go for more permanent signings in summer if we are established in Premier League. If we stay up this season we will be seen as established rather than just a flash in the pan, and then by nature of our location and fans we should be able to attract higher calibre players than some other Premiership sides even if we offer less in terms of wages. Stay up this season and we can stay up for years.

aj4england
11-01-2015, 04:37 PM
With James m's injury a quality midfielder is more important than a left back , Kelly did okay yesterday but still think led ley is worth a go at left back

arm chair eagle
11-01-2015, 04:38 PM
In one game it appears Guédioura has gone from a player not wanted to a first team starter next week.

Are there any other hidden gems in our squad ?

Kebe ?

Fryer ?

Thomas ?

Palace Yankee
11-01-2015, 04:45 PM
Some of it depends on what Pardew thinks he can get out of Bannon and Guediora. He clearly rates Bannon, but his inability to stamp his authority on the game yesterday worried me. We need a bit more than busy scurrying around.

Chamakh can also play behind the striker, but he needs to up his game. His link play is good and we know technically he's one of our best, but we need much, much more end product, be it goals or assists.

IMO we need:

LB - a proper one is needed
CB - as others have said here a solid partner for Dann is needed, unless we already have it in Kelly or Marriappa, but they depends on getting a full time LB
CM - depends on what I've said above. I think McArthur could be the answer
CF - I think we need two. Campbell isn't good enough for me and should be sent out on loan or sold. Gayle has it but needs to show it more consistently. Murray will score goals if he has support from the CAM and wingers.

Easy !!
Agreed. Frazier is the weak one. Punch and Gayle are better than most here seem to say. Murray was a revelation as the old, wily vet who can produce (wish he'd have finished!). I like him starting or he and Wilf as options from the bench.

Bannan is a hothead. Two dumb yellows last two games, but Guediora showed he has game off the bench.

Striker and LB are the two moves we should make.

Wish we'd look to Latin America for some flair. Usually comes cheap. That and really ramp up the youth academy long term.

carter
11-01-2015, 04:52 PM
we definitely 100% need a left back, a left footed left back. Its massive. So many times the ball has come to an overlapping left back and everyone has wanted them to whip it in first time but they cant because they aren't confident on the left foot. You usually find that they tend to do a negative pass instead of a positive. I actually feel sorry for them as it isn't their fault. Right footed left backs are off balance. As well as Kelly has done there we still need a proper left back.

We need a striker with more quality than the ones we've got. I love Murray and so want him to do it in the Premiership but most other strikers would have burried that finish last night. It's just thin margins between a Championship striker and a Premiership striker. Hope he still gets games though and starts scoring. I dont think a £9M Gomis is the answer

Stavros 69
11-01-2015, 04:53 PM

He's made of glass you know

Jim Cannon
11-01-2015, 04:57 PM

Yes but he is always injured.

El Aguila
11-01-2015, 05:03 PM
I bet it's tricky to find a left back who can slot straight in to the first team in the middle of the season and make the defence better than it already is. The striker should be easier, really

Santos-er
11-01-2015, 05:44 PM
We really should have used Williams to get Cresswell. I like the kid but he's a (constantly injured) spare wheel here.

Norman Nigel
11-01-2015, 05:46 PM

Great use of abbreviations.

Jerry Murphy's Fringe
11-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Love to see Darren back, but don't think he's strong enough to partner Dann.

No bigger fan of Sir Darren than me, but this time it's Efe Ambrose.
Am very much hoping that ipswich do Southampton in the replay so that we get to see the greta man in action once more. We'll just need to shackle him when 30 to 40 years from goal.:p

arm chair eagle
11-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Great use of abbreviations.

arm chair eagle
11-01-2015, 06:46 PM
we definitely 100% need a left back, a left footed left back. Its massive. So many times the ball has come to an overlapping left back and everyone has wanted them to whip it in first time but they cant because they are confident on the left foot. You usually find that they tend to do a negative pass instead of a positive. I actually feel sorry for them as it isn't their fault. Right footed left backs are off balance. As well as Kelly has done there we still need a proper left back.

We need a striker with more quality than the ones we've got. I love Murray and so want him to do it in the Premiership but most other strikers would have burried that finish last night. It's just thin margins between a Championship striker and a Premiership striker. Hope he still gets games though and starts scoring. I dont think a £9M Gomis is the answer

Not too sure that Murray did a lot wrong with his chance. The speed in which Loris came of his line was incredible .He is one of the world best keeper

Rod
11-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Not too sure that Murray did a lot wrong with his chance. The speed in which Loris came of his line was incredible .He is one of the world best keeper

He didn't take it. It was a poor effort. Murray deserves a few outings at this level along side Gayle but it needs to work quickly. We still need a better striker with pace.

baldeagle68
11-01-2015, 07:19 PM

Agreed...... Give him time to adjust to the premiership pace:p

Gooders
11-01-2015, 07:20 PM
No.

a) we have 1 strong CB, we have 2 others that make critical mistakes in every single game they've played this season.

and...stopped reading

GB2506
11-01-2015, 09:54 PM
With the new manager we have pretty much 4 new signings already: Murray and Gayle plus Bannan and Guedioura. All 4 frozen out by Warnock and all have obvious quality. Despite weaknesses in their game, all are Premiership squad quality. Great to see a manager giving opportunities to more than a set XI. Still have Joniesta to come back too.

My take on it is that we don't need a new left back anymore in this window as Kelly is competent enough for now. And we have 1 centre forward in Murray now but need another with a bit of pace. I'd be happy with just Sanogo on loan and then go for more permanent signings in summer if we are established in Premier League. If we stay up this season we will be seen as established rather than just a flash in the pan, and then by nature of our location and fans we should be able to attract higher calibre players than some other Premiership sides even if we offer less in terms of wages. Stay up this season and we can stay up for years.

Thank god you aren't manager. We have needed a LB for 18 months, we still desperately need a LB. Kelly is not a LB, ward is not a LB. For the balance of the side you need a left footed LB.

GreatGonzo
11-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Nope. Our weaknesses are still in the same areas. For me I think we will stay up comfortably if we go through Feb-May with a team of:

-------------Hennessey-------------
Ward----Dann---new CB---new LB
------McArthur--Jedi--Ledley------
P/B/Z-------------------------P/B/Z
-------------New CF----------------

A bench of Speroni, Kelly, Guedioura, the other of P/B/Z, Gayle, Murray, Chamakh

RickyB
11-01-2015, 10:38 PM
What no Damo? :(

GreatGonzo
11-01-2015, 10:59 PM
What no Damo? :(

Huge weakness in our side. Only 1 defender would make the bench for me and Kelly covers all 4 positions.

maestro
11-01-2015, 11:03 PM
Huge weakness in our side. Only 1 defender would make the bench for me and Kelly covers all 4 positions.

People on here underestimate Damo.

In the last few games we look really solid again and he is big reason for that.

2 moments stand out for me why he has been better than Hangeland

Against Villa away Benteke had got past Dann and Delaney had the pace to cover him, getting it enough of a challenge to stop him.

Yesterday Kane nearly walked through our Defence at one point but it was Damo who again had the recovery to get back at him.

I think he's a good premier league defender and you'd have to spend a shit load of money to buy better than him.

GreatGonzo
11-01-2015, 11:09 PM

Against Villa away Benteke had got past Dann and Delaney had the pace to cover him, getting it enough of a challenge to stop him.

Yesterday Kane nearly walked through our Defence at one point but it was Damo who again had the recovery to get back at him.

I think he's a good premier league defender and you'd have to spend a shit load of money to buy better than him.

IMO a lot of what he does well is because of positions he has put us in. Neither he nor Hangeland is a good PL player and it usually costs decent money for one of them, especially in Jan. We are apparently looking for a CB and is ain't to replace Dann!

We might not find the players and there is a chance we may have to make do. However it is IMO one of the 3 areas we could do with bringing someone in.

maestro
11-01-2015, 11:12 PM
IMO a lot of what he does well is because of positions he has put us in. Neither he nor Hangeland is a good PL player and it usually costs decent money for one of them, especially in Jan. We are apparently looking for a CB and is ain't to replace Dann!

We might not find the players and there is a chance we may have to make do. However it is IMO one of the 3 areas we could do with bringing someone in.

We need another CB to challenge because Hangeland isnt up to it but Delaney is fine, 1 goal conceded in 4 games.

PalaceSi
11-01-2015, 11:51 PM
We don't want to tinker unnecessarily. We suffered earlier in the season with never playing the same defence twice and not playing the defence well drilled by TP last season.
I'm not desperate for a left footed left back because i don't think we can get a better one than Kelly/Ward without paying a fortune and the current defence is well drilled and defending well. Marriappa/Hangeland are good cover and have both done well when required.
I also like height at the back and having Kelly at left back helps. We were bigger last season and it helps when defending set pieces and attacking with them. I loved it last year when basically the whole side was good in the air, it was of one of TP's tactics and a sensible one.
We replaced Cameron Jerome with a pint sized Campbell or Gayle, now Bannon is getting games, ok we can do it a bit but please not too much and no pint sized left back please. Strength in the air when you are under the cosh is vital.
All we need in my view is a striker and we need one better than Murray/Gayle/Campbell otherwise we might as well persevere with what we have.
There is no point tinkering for the sake of it.
The only other thing i'd love to do is buy Wilf because a few displays like the other night and he'll be out of our reach again. At the minute we can afford him but for how long?

Martin H
11-01-2015, 11:51 PM
I think perhaps many folk are (understandably euphoric about a great result and story tale match and risk mistaking a wonderful performance as meaning everyone that played wonderful players.

The squad is lacking in quality but compensates with a combination of teamwork, character and effort but even then it is 'shallow'. All fit and here and we can pick a competitive 11 with subs. But we have a lot of players that have a specific talent but are weak in other aspects. We just need to bolster that as has been said many times.

So do I think Sat had any effect. No. I would be scared to death if it had. Our coaches must know what these players can and can't do already. i.e. Gued' might have some role to play but the odds of him emerging as a first pick Premiership midfielder at 29 are extremely low. etc. etc. This is not to devalue that performance - just trying to context it.

As has been said over and over - we need a LB and at least one striker, possibly two.

I think we should probably upgrade one midfielder at least - heresy I know after Saturday but one or more of Gued', Bannan, Williams or O'Keefe to go out and a better player(s) to come in.

The point is that whoever comes in MUST be better. They don't need to be giants but unless we are buying the highest of quality players (unlikely) then size is a factor. Character is an issue too.

On the latter - I hope Pard's reference to Mavericks isn't misunderstood or he could be in for a torrid time :)

dtmidget
11-01-2015, 11:52 PM
As much as I'd love us to bring in some real quality I am realistic enough to admit that we are probably not going to attract the type of player that will make a massive impact. On this basis I am happy with the squad we have and think we should just give them a go.

Plus I hate the transfer window with 99% of rumour being exactly that and never amounting to anything.

Having said that I reckon Bale, Ronaldo and Messi will help any defensive problems because we're guaranteed to score 5 every week :-)

Dannyzz
11-01-2015, 11:59 PM
Virgil Van Dijk, Jack Cork, Pape Souare & Danny Ings. Perfect transfer window.

AJ
12-01-2015, 12:11 AM
We need another CB to challenge because Hangeland isnt up to it but Delaney is fine, 1 goal conceded in 4 games.

We don't need a CB to replace Hangerland, he has done fine recently in games, but we do need to replace McCarthy, who was in the 25 for the first part of the season.

maestro
12-01-2015, 12:14 AM
We don't need a CB to replace Hangerland, he has done fine recently in games, but we do need to replace McCarthy, who was in the 25 for the first part of the season.

Hangeland is a liability, he is too immobile, weve been alot better since he's out the side.

KP'S Nuts
12-01-2015, 12:32 AM

I very much agree hes a solid deffender but more crucially has respect from his team which is why he is vice captain. He could still give another good season in the prem. Our deffence went to pieces early in the season because we didnt keep with what was working at the end of lasts tinkering with every part other than what we needed in a left back.

Cleon
12-01-2015, 06:12 AM
Nothing has changed following the Spuds game other than the fact we all feel happier with life momentarily.

Of course we MIGHT survive with no new players, but as others around us improve I don't fancy those odds. We need a top quality left-back and top quality striker, and by top quality I mean proven and better than anything we currently have in those positions.

We do need a new top quality centre-back to play alongside Dann, but if we can't find anybody suitable as a long-term option then I'm still reasonably confident that in Delaney (and Hangleland) we have players who can cover us until the end of the season.