PDA

View Full Version : Jordan's masterplan

Martin H
15-08-2002, 12:02 PM
Over the past few weeks I think that we will all have been surprised by the amount of transfer activity at Palace. The financial environment has meant that most clubs have the same squads as last year, if not smaller.

So is Jordan betting on this inertia among the other div 1 clubs to make some rapid progress. Potentially a high risk strategy, but is he a bear in a bear market? It would seem to match his entrepreneurial streak. Watch the market, see the opening and then apply full force to driving out the opportunity. Move fast while the competitors are still wondering. That IS how you get competitive advantage but it takes nerve and bears risk. Football is a lot less predictable too. Imagine if AJ had broken his neck and was out for 2-3 years.

The advantage Mr J has taken advantage of is a rare saleable asset at this time - Morrison. As each day passes it feels less likely we would have achieved that price again. Selling at the last possible minute, Jordan is leveraging the money into wages rather than big transfer fees. Most clubs would have sat on the money. All good stuff.

So is it a one last push masterplan? If so then 'good on him for having the b**ls to do it. Only worry for me is what happens if he fails? He is decisive. Would he walk away? I would worry that there is unlikely to be another chairman capable fo saving us a second time and who would take on the burden of a club now?

bald-eagle
15-08-2002, 02:35 PM
Interesting post. I think things have worked out quite nicely in the end. Hopkin leaving meant that he had enough in the wage kitty to pay at least two, if not three, players. The Morrison money and the somewhat suprising sky money meant that he could buy 2 or 3 players at realistic prices and still pay off some debt/interest etc. This had the bonus to TF of allowing him to buy a few of "his own" players, it also gives TF a confidence boost in that he seems to have got more than he was promised at the end of last year. Possibly this relates to the extra passion he seems to be displaying in the first two games.

As far as morrison goes, very few expected him to be here at the start of the season, and the whole world new that brum wanted him, once a bid came in at was only a question of brokering a deal that didn't shaft us. In the present climate the result wasn't too bad.

To the outside world it may look like we're spending while no-one else is, whereas the truth is that we're simply spending the same money on different players. Pompey for example are spending "new" money straight out of Milan Manderic's pocket....which obviously is not sustainable over a year or so, I doubt that our monthly outgoings are any higher now than they were a month ago. The only big downer, of course, is that we don't have the president any more.

So in answer to your question, I don't think SJ is risking any more than he was before, although, and this enhances his reputation, to the outside world , he is.

Martin H
15-08-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by bald-eagle

To the outside world it may look like we're spending while no-one else is, whereas the truth is that we're simply spending the same money on different players.

I agree B-E but relative to the rest this is an aggressive action - i.e. he isn't trimming that wage bill and battening down the hatches. For what worth, I think the past few months have seen some very astute business by both Francis and Jordan. If they could continue like this we could see some growth on and off the pitch.

I particularly like the 'balance within the squad now - left and right, youth and experience. Let's see

Beanie
15-08-2002, 03:14 PM
One point that has been missed is that Palace do have a substantially smaller squad than they had last season. We have bought in 5 (if Adebola is eventually confirmed), but we have seen the departure of Morrison, Rodger, Kirovski, Hopkin and about eight of the "fringe" squad such as Harris, Kember and Carasso. Witness the squad numbers which last year ran to 40 + Akinbiyi, and now run to 32 + Akinbiyi. I bet the wage bill is a fair amount lower. Kirovski and Hopkin alone probably paid for the 5 new signings.

Just astute financial re-adjustments I'd say, we just have to hope it works on the pitch as well.

wookiee
15-08-2002, 06:35 PM
As ever, many of the club's actions can be read two ways.

It's pretty easy to see the sale of Morrison as a sign that the club isn't financially secure. Alternatively it was a move that freed capital and was the first step in a strategic journey to stability and depth in the playing squad.

Just this morning I was thinking that the club's started to have an air of solidity around it. The chairman's made it clear that the days of paying Premiership wages are over, so the Hopkins of the world are away (let's hope that if there's a Wise deal it's well inside the club's wage structure). The Dele Adebola deal initially faltered because of his wage demands and in the current climate that augers well.

We've trimmed the fat from the squad (and that meant more than getting rid of Hopkin and Carrasso) and brought in cover all over the pitch. Of course, a major injury crisis will cause the club a problem. But realistically it's hard to see any Nationwide club in the present or future for whom that's not the case.

And all this activity behind the scenes, tinkering with the playing staff, indicates a honed and definite strategy. That, for me, is the most encouraging thing. Selling Morrison has obviously enabled the chairman and the manager to pursue their mid- and longer-term aims for the club.

I'm sincerely hoping that Jordan's learnt the hard lessons of the last few years and that he and Francis are now working in harness to take the club forward on an even footing. I'm even starting to wonder whether Trevor Francis might be exactly the sort of manager the club needs after its recent history - solid, dependable, unspectacular and experienced.

Convincing me of the quality of the players may take a little more time (I think we may be light on class in both midfield and forward areas), but there's a robustness in the squad now that we haven't seen for five or six years. I don't think there'll be any point this year where relegation looks a realistic possibility. And that can only help move the club in the right direction, maybe even as far as the play-off positions.

But I think the best thing about the last month is that the club has beavered away making little adjustments here and small additions there and it doesn't look like it's taken any reckless financial decisions that might put all the good work at risk in the future.

Now if only we could keep the chairman out of the dressing room and stop the manager having physical confrontations with his players then we'd have nothing to talk about but the stuff that actually happens on the pitch. And wouldn't that be awful?

Al From Bromley
15-08-2002, 10:14 PM
"Just this morning I was thinking that the club's started to have an air of solidity around it"

So YOU'RE the fecking jinx!!!! :)

James
15-08-2002, 10:37 PM
As a fairly regular critic of Jordan, I have to say in all fairness that Jordan does seems to have learned from his mistakes (in that he is now making a whole host of new mistakes rather than simply repeating old ones).

Did anyone read Jordan's programme notes on Tuesday? I was expecting more of the nonsense that he regularly served up last year, but it was nothing of the sort. His remarks about Morrison and the need to sell him for financial reasons, for example, were honest and fair.

So far I am encouraged by what I have seen this Season. Sure, we missed Morrison's striking ability on Tuesday, but as a whole the Team looked fairly accomplished and the game was entertaining. Yes, perhaps our Chairman is starting to get it right.

James

gator
15-08-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by James
As a fairly regular critic of Jordan, I have to say in all fairness that Jordan does seems to have learned from his mistakes (in that he is now making a whole host of new mistakes rather than simply repeating old ones).

So far I am encouraged by what I have seen this Season. Sure, we missed Morrison's striking ability on Tuesday, but as a whole the Team looked fairly accomplished and the game was entertaining. Yes, perhaps our Chairman is starting to get it right.

James
Oh James, there you go again, all that double speak as to cover your as*
in any future arguments/posts.

"(in that he is now making a whole host of new mistakes rather than simply repeating old ones)", or, "Yes, perhaps our Chairman is starting to get it right".

So which is your opionion? Oh I see, either way you will be right, a year from now.

Bartman
15-08-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Martin H
Over the past few weeks I think that we will all have been surprised by the amount of transfer activity at Palace. The financial environment has meant that most clubs have the same squads as last year, if not smaller.

So is Jordan betting on this inertia among the other div 1 clubs to make some rapid progress. Potentially a high risk strategy, but is he a bear in a bear market? It would seem to match his entrepreneurial streak. Watch the market, see the opening and then apply full force to driving out the opportunity. Move fast while the competitors are still wondering. That IS how you get competitive advantage but it takes nerve and bears risk. Football is a lot less predictable too. Imagine if AJ had broken his neck and was out for 2-3 years.

The advantage Mr J has taken advantage of is a rare saleable asset at this time - Morrison. As each day passes it feels less likely we would have achieved that price again. Selling at the last possible minute, Jordan is leveraging the money into wages rather than big transfer fees. Most clubs would have sat on the money. All good stuff.

So is it a one last push masterplan? If so then 'good on him for having the b**ls to do it. Only worry for me is what happens if he fails? He is decisive. Would he walk away? I would worry that there is unlikely to be another chairman capable fo saving us a second time and who would take on the burden of a club now?

Great post - my sentiments exactly - I just didn't get around to writing it!

I.Flyer
15-08-2002, 11:19 PM
Quote '.....So is it a one last push masterplan? If so then 'good on him for having the b**ls to do it. Only worry for me is what happens if he fails? He is decisive. Would he walk away? I would worry that there is unlikely to be another chairman capable fo saving us a second time and who would take on the burden of a club now?...'

Excellent post Martin and quite spooky really. You have more or less put into words what I have been thinking.

In view of the all the innuendos and hints that SJ is broke, (and even if he is not, the current financial climate must have seen his assets diminished somewhat) he has been very active in the transfer market. I appreciate that we will benefit from the loss of Kirovoski and Hopkins wage bill but I would guess Hopkins hasn't gone without being paid off. Also funds from the Morrison deal.

I just hope it is not an 'all or nothing' push unless of course we make it.

I know it is not vogue to do so but I admire SJ especially as he seems to put his money where his mouth is.

Let me say at the start before I air this further thought, that I do take a connoction of medication ... however, what about the possibility that Trevor, who I understand is not short of a bob or two, has had some financial input. This might explain his new found passion about the club. :eek:

Martin H
15-08-2002, 11:58 PM
Some interesting thoughts here. Even James squeezing out some recognition of the improved shape of things.

I Flyer - it had occurred to me that big Trev (the hammer to his friends) may at some point 'invest' in the club. There was always talk of him buying Brum after all. I would think that when/if he does it will become public pretty quickly. James - you tend to have a good eye for this stuff - would this have to be declared somewhere it would be picked up by the press?

Either way, with the exception of the Kolinko stormcloud, I am feeling good about things at Selhurst at the mo'.

Men At Work
16-08-2002, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by James
Yes, perhaps our Chairman is starting to get it right.

Dave, someone has hacked James's account :eek:

Martin H
16-08-2002, 03:30 AM
Chortle - James you have to laugh don't you.

;)

We love all Palace fans :love:

ozeagle
16-08-2002, 03:31 AM
he's got it all right, and with Wise, we go up...even better thinking still.
you all have to remember, the bloke is no muppet..
apart from buying Palace, there's a reason why he has plenty....he knows his s1t..

GO SJ ! Get Wise !

:hmph:

biggus mickus
16-08-2002, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Men At Work

Dave, someone has hacked James's account :eek:

ROFL.
SROFL.
:D :D

Martin H
16-08-2002, 03:43 AM
biggus mickus - just noticed your tag line under the avatar piccie.

'Buying spain bit by bit'

I have a cunning plan my Lord . . . to buy all the alcohol first and smuggle it through customs in our bodies by imbibing it. They'll never notice. You get the beer together and I'll be over.

'I cann manidge jusht won moore, onest Micck'