PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: If Glen Murray leaves, can he sign for anyone other than Reading?

Ian Hart
23-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Some friends of mine support Morton. They were about to re-sign Tidser, a player they sold to Rotherham about a year ago. But when they tried to register the player, they were told he couldn't play for them because he'd already played for two clubs this season - he'd appeared once for Rotherham (for 27 minutes!) and then gone on loan to Oldham.

I'm wondering how the application of this rule affects certain Palace players. I'm not suggesting for a moment that we release Glen Murray, but it's quite conceivable that we might, or put him out on loan. I'd been lead to believe that a number of clubs might be interested in him, but this rule seems to mean that if he does leave, Reading is the only club he can play for. Similarly, if Guedioura doesn't make the 25, it would seemingly mean he can only play for Watford this season if he wants to leave.

Have I misunderstood the rule? If not, it seems very unfair. Is it always applied?

GorBlimey
23-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Sorry, lost you after the first sentence. :D

Tyrone Eagle
23-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Some friends of mine support Morton. They were about to re-sign Tidser, a player they sold to Rotherham about a year ago. But when they tried to register the player, they were told he couldn't play for them because he'd already played for two clubs this season - he'd appeared once for Rotherham (for 27 minutes!) and then gone on loan to Oldham.

I'm wondering how the application of this rule affects certain Palace players. I'm not suggesting for a moment that we release Glen Murray, but it's quite conceivable that we might, or put him out on loan. I'd been lead to believe that a number of clubs might be interested in him, but this rule seems to mean that if he does leave, Reading is the only club he can play for. Similarly, if Guedioura doesn't make the 25, it would seemingly mean he can only play for Watford this season if he wants to leave.

Have I misunderstood the rule? If not, it seems very unfair. Is it always applied?

Fair question, look at the Hatem Ben Arfa story on this also.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/nice-release-official-statement-hatem-ben-arfa/

It would seem that those players couldn't move elsewhere.

Tyrone Eagle
23-01-2015, 11:08 PM
Hopefully there's some flexibility in this.

ChrissyN
24-01-2015, 12:06 AM
What about players like Darren Bent who are loaned to more than one club in the same season?

RickyB
24-01-2015, 12:21 AM
Loans are different i think? Isn't something about the players registration?

Ian Hart
24-01-2015, 12:44 AM
Not sure that's the case, Ricky

Article 5.2 of the FIFA regulations regarding the status and transfer of players states that: “Players may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season. During this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs”.

The above doesn't seem to differentiate between loans and permanent signings

Chickereagle
29-01-2015, 02:17 PM
From today's presser:

Pardew says Glenn Murray has signed another deal to stay at Palace. #cpfc

Stigma
29-01-2015, 02:19 PM
From today's presser:

:eek:Sounds good:love:

Jim Cannon
29-01-2015, 02:21 PM
From today's presser:

New contract? Interesting as I thought he had 18 months left on his current one.

Ian Hart
29-01-2015, 04:55 PM
So we'll never know the answer to my original question.....

Palaceborn
29-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Murray has played for us and Reading this season, he can only play for us and reading from now on. The answer to Bent that someone posted, he hasnt played for Villa this season, only on loan to Brighton and Derby i believe

mroakley9
29-01-2015, 05:00 PM
So we'll never know the answer to my original question.....

According to Football Manager, a player can't play a competitive fixture for more than 2 different clubs in a year (it may have been season, but I'm pretty sure it was year because different leagues have different seasons).

kolinkins
29-01-2015, 05:02 PM
Isn't this why James Vaughan re-signed for us?

917L
29-01-2015, 06:00 PM
According to Football Manager, a player can't play a competitive fixture for more than 2 different clubs in a year (it may have been season, but I'm pretty sure it was year because different leagues have different seasons).

There are plenty of players who have played for 3 clubs in a season

Darren Bent this season for instance

Billyd
29-01-2015, 06:04 PM

I was to say the same. As a very current related one isnt Tom Ince about to sign for Derby. They wouldn't do that if he couldn't play.

And Bent?!

DARZET EAGLE
29-01-2015, 06:09 PM
I was to say the same. As a very current related one isnt Tom Ince about to sign for Derby. They wouldn't do that if he couldn't play.

And Bent?!

Who is Ince??:D

mroakley9
29-01-2015, 06:12 PM

I stand corrected

Ian Hart
29-01-2015, 06:21 PM

Having checked the records, I think Bent has only played for 2 clubs.

Who are the "plenty" you were referring to?

Ian Hart
29-01-2015, 06:26 PM
As a very current related one isnt Tom Ince about to sign for Derby.

You're right about Ince.

It's very confusing

917L
29-01-2015, 06:31 PM
Having checked the records, I think Bent has only played for 2 clubs.

Who are the "plenty" you were referring to?

Bent has played for Villa, Br*ghton and Derby

Stuart OKeefe has played for Palace and Blackpool, and will shortly turn out for Cardiff....

Gathers54
29-01-2015, 07:07 PM
Bent has played for Villa, Br*ghton and Derby

Stuart OKeefe has played for Palace and Blackpool, and will shortly turn out for Cardiff....

Strange how it works as Ben Arfa had issues signing for another club abroad, as Fifa stepped in. Would be interesting to know the rules regarding it and why it applies to certain players and not others...

Ralph
29-01-2015, 07:10 PM
Is it

A) about international transfers

B) confusion over per season and per year?

Ian Hart
29-01-2015, 09:49 PM
A legal friend of mine thinks it's about crossing national (football) borders. That would make sense of the Ben Arfa problem, and also the one in the opening post where Tidser wanted to cross into Scotland from Rotherham to play for Morton.

If true, it presumably doesn't apply to O'keefe, because although he's crossed a border into Wales, it's to play in the same national league.

If that is the rule, it does all sound a bit illogical

GreatGonzo
29-01-2015, 09:55 PM
O'Keefe would count as Cardiff are registered with the Welsh FA so would have needed international clearance I think.

It is a very messy rule from by the looks of it.

GreatGonzo
29-01-2015, 09:57 PM
It may make a difference whether the loans were standard and I think they are treated as transfers of registration or if they are emergency loans.

ebyeeckeagle
29-01-2015, 10:00 PM
A legal friend of mine thinks it's about crossing national (football) borders. That would make sense of the Ben Arfa problem, and also the one in the opening post where Tidser wanted to cross into Scotland from Rotherham to play for Morton.

If true, it presumably doesn't apply to O'keefe, because although he's crossed a border into Wales, it's to play in the same national league.

If that is the rule, it does all sound a bit illogical

Very confusing because papers have to be lodged with another (Welsh) FA, even if they play in the 'English' and Cardiff are jointly supervised re. discipline etc by both FAs.