PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Barry Bannan to Celtic

eagle69
02-02-2015, 08:16 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-line-up-deadline-day-swoop-5088896?

Would free up another space , shame though !

elgin eagle
02-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Thats a better move for him than brum on loan. Shame though, as you say.

Ifill Over
02-02-2015, 08:18 AM
This would be a good move for both the player and us.

DARZET EAGLE
02-02-2015, 08:20 AM
He deserves this chance and would really shine.

Kai
02-02-2015, 08:25 AM
Always liked him as a player but is simply too small and needs to much time on the ball to be effective in the Premiership

eagle69
02-02-2015, 08:32 AM
He deserves this chance and would really shine.

If Commons & Stokes Look good up there :eek: He'll be a world great in Scotland

Mad Raschic Ken
02-02-2015, 08:34 AM
We should see if they fancy taking him plus cash for Van Dijk.

FMH57
02-02-2015, 08:38 AM

Now , that is a good idea.

orp pisshead1
02-02-2015, 08:39 AM

Great shout, we was recently linked with him but thought he'd go to a bigger club as arsenal had previously linked but seems to have gone cold.

Friskey
02-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Good move for him. I like him as a player but he doesn't have enough for the Premier League. Hopefully it's a permanent move.

Penstone Eagle
02-02-2015, 08:45 AM
Shame that the only player capable of a decent delivery looks like leaving.

Eagle01
02-02-2015, 08:45 AM
Would make sense considering he traveled up there for the Old Firm game yesterday!!

Friskey
02-02-2015, 08:48 AM
Would make sense considering he traveled up there for the Old Firm game yesterday!!

Didn't McArthur and Ledley go as well though? The rumor has probably come from him being at the game so it could be someone doing 2+2=5.

Jerry Murphy's Fringe
02-02-2015, 08:55 AM
I can see this happening. I presume Mutch is the upgrade?
He is quite a symbolic player for me, one of the first proper PL signings we made under the new regime, along with Cham.
If he goes out the door for a few million, that also signifies progress for us as surely there strength of a squad can be measured in the value/quality of player we can sell - who is not a star player, or, relegation fire sale.
Whatever happens, best of luck to BB.

chatham_eagle
02-02-2015, 08:55 AM
He's a Celtic fan.

Jim Cannon
02-02-2015, 08:59 AM
I can see this happening. I presume Mutch is the upgrade?
He is quite a symbolic player for me, one of the first proper PL signings we made under the new regime, along with Cham.
If he goes out the door for a few million, that also signifies progress for us as surely there strength of a squad can be measured in the value/quality of player we can sell - who is not a star player, or, relegation fire sale.
Whatever happens, best of luck to BB.

A few million? I wonder what valuation the club puts on him but I reckon he would be allowed to go for maybe 1M

james powell
02-02-2015, 09:04 AM
He's a Celtic fan.

George Boyd is a palace fan...

dave_who_ru
02-02-2015, 09:06 AM
Celtic youth player and c1m looks right. Has always looked busy and can pick a pass. Just hasn't had the game time.

Stavros 69
02-02-2015, 09:12 AM
Would be a great move for him

cpfcfan1
02-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Be happy to see him there good player just not one we need

Good luck bazza

elgin eagle
02-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Shame that the only player capable of a decent delivery looks like leaving.

Also the only player we have capable of unlocking a stubborn defence. Might have made the difference against villa, sunderland, burnley, everton etc. Might not of course, but well worth having on the bench as an option for when teams score first and sit deep.

Dave
02-02-2015, 09:24 AM
still think there is a place in the squad for him.

danpalace07
02-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Would be good to see him in the CL

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
02-02-2015, 09:27 AM
The Scotsman says it would be a loan

Friskey
02-02-2015, 09:33 AM

Yeah as the 7th-8th choice for the 3 central midfield positions. Whilst I don't think he's good enough to play in our side on a regular basis he's better than that. A move seems sensible for everyone involved.

elgin eagle
02-02-2015, 09:39 AM

Think he's an excellent option off the bench.

Jim Cannon
02-02-2015, 09:42 AM
Think he's an excellent option off the bench.

I like him but he doesn't even make the bench that often

Friskey
02-02-2015, 09:44 AM

He's not going to either. When we have Jedinak, Mutch, Chamakh, Ledley and McArthur available two of those will have to be on the bench. Then Guedioura is probably ahead of him too.

chatham_eagle
02-02-2015, 09:44 AM
George Boyd is a palace fan...

I was suggesting that this is why he was at the match.

Anerley Eagle
02-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Would be a great move for him.

elgin eagle
02-02-2015, 10:22 AM

No but he should have. Would we have had 1 point from burnley, villa, sunderland and everton at home with a creative genius capable of a slide rule pass on the bench? Not saying he should start, but with 7 options off the bench, every team needs a bannan who can offer that. I think he was criminally underused due to having gone for solidity and the wide outlet only.

Pardew has recognised this has been well and truly sussed, and gone for mutch, who may be fine when fit and with a better attitude. Like Dave, I think there's a place for bannan. However Bannan himself may well fancy playing, and european football. Its a 2 way thing.

Friskey
02-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Creative geinus! Lol. Nothing like an exaggeration eh?

20-25 games in the league for Palace, just the one goal and one assist. I'm pretty sure that Mutch created and scored more goals in his one season in the league at Cardiff than Bannan has done in his career.

Breaking rocks
02-02-2015, 10:39 AM

:p

elgin eagle
02-02-2015, 10:41 AM
I see you are already slagging the south korean off as not required. Good job you aint the manager. You'd probably neg rep the players.

Friskey
02-02-2015, 10:46 AM
I see you are already slagging the south korean off as not required. Good job you aint the manager. You'd probably neg rep the players.

Exact opposite in fact. I rate the players that we already have in those positions and we don't need anymore squad fillers. At this point we just need quality and someone that makes the starting 11.

As for Bannan he has played 80-90 Premier League games now and scored 2 goals and created 4-5. That's just not enough considering his huge defensive weaknesses.

elgin eagle
02-02-2015, 10:59 AM
considering his huge defensive weaknesses.

Another myth. Bannan is a good tackler, if a little reckless at times.

However I reckon he's off so you'll have to find a new scapegoat now. It shouldn't take you long, knowing you.

917L
02-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Well hes training with us as normal this morning, apparently

jordanismygod
02-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Another myth. Bannan is a good tackler, if a little reckless at times.

Is he? Not sure I even remember him succeeding in a tackle let alone make one.

Sent from my iPhone using CPFC BBS

Adlerhorst
02-02-2015, 11:06 AM
Bannan cannot tackle for toffee but I am not going to let that get in the way of another Elgin / Friskey row.

Does anyone have any popcorn?

elgin eagle
02-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Is he? Not sure I even remember him succeeding in a tackle let alone make one.

Sent from my iPhone using CPFC BBS

Watch the Dover match? I admit it was only Dover but he won the ball numerous times. He just lacks height.

Eastsussex
02-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Tidy little player,but just doesn't have the pace or power for the premier league,against spurs game changed when ban on was taken off and guerdiola came on giving more drive in midfield..

ExiledStirling
02-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Will be a real shame to see him go.

He will shine at Celtic.

Friskey
02-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Bannan cannot tackle for toffee but I am not going to let that get in the way of another Elgin / Friskey row.

Ha.

Not today mate. I agree with you though, he's an awful tackler. I think he's a very good Championship player, I just don't rate him as highly as the 11 other midfield players that we have. If that's making him a scapegoat then so be it. Pulis and Super Al seemed to come to the same conclusion very quickly too so I'll bow to their judgement.

Adlerhorst
02-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Tidy little player,but just doesn't have the pace or power for the premier league,against spurs game changed when ban on was taken off and guerdiola came on giving more drive in midfield..Actually I disagree with that a lot. You don't need have pace and power to succeed as a short arse in the premier league. Joe Allen is a pygmy, isn't strong or fast, but is effective in the premier league. Santi Carzola is also short, and isn't lightning fast or strong.

You do need to be a better footballer than Barry Bannan is though.

elgin eagle
02-02-2015, 11:16 AM

Judge Ned to the rescue again, you can relax now your little xenophobic protector is here friskey.

elgin eagle
02-02-2015, 11:19 AM

He will shine at Celtic.

Apparently he is at training today Cary, so maybe its others who will be leaving.

Agreed that he would do very well there, probably though.

ExiledStirling
02-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Apparently he is at training today Cary, so maybe its others who will be leaving.

Really hope so, as like you I believe he is the type of player who has the game to unlock stubborn defenses. Something we have not had to deal with until we start rising the table towards the back end of last season, and we became more of an attacking force.

We currently prove that we cannot deal with teams that come to defend and counter attack (Burnley, Villa and Everton spring to mind) so something needs to change, and Bannan's inclusion would surely be an asset.

PauLo
02-02-2015, 11:45 AM

This time last year, Ledley was training with Celtic. By the evening, he was a Palace player. Training in the morning means nothing.

glaziers fan
02-02-2015, 11:49 AM

He will shine at Celtic.

He's not physical enough for the Premier League. Why do you think Villa let him go in the first place? Tidy player who I am sure would do well at Celtic, because he has technical ability, but he's a lower league player I'm afraid. Wish him well if he goes, he gave everything for the shirt.

the drexciyan
02-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Will look world class up there. Good luck to him if he does move.

DARZET EAGLE
02-02-2015, 11:50 AM
This time last year, Ledley was training with Celtic. By the evening, he was a Palace player. Training in the morning means nothing.

I agree with you under the Warnock regime.:D

glaziers fan
02-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Really hope so, as like you I believe he is the type of player who has the game to unlock stubborn defenses. Something we have not had to deal with until we start rising the table towards the back end of last season, and we became more of an attacking force.

We currently prove that we cannot deal with teams that come to defend and counter attack (Burnley, Villa and Everton spring to mind) so something needs to change, and Bannan's inclusion would surely be an asset.

To unlock stubborn defences we will go through the wingers. Bannan to my mind is someone who can help you win possession and put a good ball in. I don't think he's going to unlock a defence any time soon. Not a great goalscoring record either.

Friskey
02-02-2015, 11:56 AM
To unlock stubborn defences we will go through the wingers. Bannan to my mind is someone who can help you win possession and put a good ball in. I don't think he's going to unlock a defence any time soon. Not a great goalscoring record either.

Agreed. His goalscoring and assist record is ordinary. 25 now too and has played in the league for a while without any real success. Best for both parties to move on, the Celtic move is a great move for him and I think he'll find his level up there.

DARZET EAGLE
02-02-2015, 11:57 AM
He's a waspish skilful little player and would do well with Celtic, but I think its an unlikely rumour.

elgin eagle
02-02-2015, 11:57 AM

Completely agree mate. However, as this thread proves, he isn't rated as highly by some. Being put straight in by Pardew in his first 2 matches gave me hope, but I guess he may have wanted to see how he ran the show before making a decision. Would like to see him stay, there's two or three I would see move before him, I guess it would be hard to turn celtic down though, if true.

ExiledStirling
02-02-2015, 11:58 AM
To unlock defenses requires mixing things up. So also utilising direct passing to feet or spaces from central areas into the box. His passing and vision would be ideal. Currently (certainly without Chamakh) we are just pumping balls into the box. It aint working.

elgin eagle
02-02-2015, 12:03 PM

Best crosser and passer and set piece taker at the club. Pacy and tigrish in the tackle. If he was 6'4" he'd have it all.

Still i'll defer to football genius icons such as you and friskey, he's clearly shit.

Stavros 69
02-02-2015, 12:04 PM
He'll look like Messi in Scottish football

glaziers fan
02-02-2015, 12:06 PM
To unlock defenses requires mixing things up. So also utilising direct passing to feet or spaces from central areas into the box. His passing and vision would be ideal. Currently (certainly without Chamakh) we are just pumping balls into the box. It aint working.

If we had a target man who could hold it up then pumping it long as part of the mix could work, but unfortunately Sanogo falls into the Campbell category of not being any good in the air or brilliant at holding it up. So currently we are pumping it long to someone who just cedes possession.

That's why for home games where opposition sit back I'd play Murray, because he can win the odd header, he can hold it up, and he's clever enough to get into goalscoring positions. Think if Murray scored one the confidence would return and the floodgates would open. Having Chamakh just behind will help him too.

I'd still play Sanogo away from home or where the opposition come onto us though, as his extra mobility is essential for the counter attack.

Elgood
02-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Such a gifted footballer with a great attitude. Will be a real shame if he goes.

Can't help but think it is the ideal move for him though.

Jim Cannon
02-02-2015, 12:07 PM
He'll look like Messi in Scottish football

Yep. If Stokes can succeed there Bannan will be laughing

eagle69
02-02-2015, 12:07 PM

He will shine at Celtic.

A broken light bulb could shine at Celtic :D

glaziers fan
02-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Best crosser and passer and set piece taker at the club. Pacy and tigrish in the tackle. If he was 6'4" he'd have it all.

Still i'll defer to football genius icons such as you and friskey, he's clearly shit.

I know you like the Scots(!), but he's lightweight in the tackle, despite wanting to win it desperately. He also lacks pace. Robbie Savage played with him and said (during the Dover commentary) it's his lack of pace that means he can't play on the wings, but that he has fantastic technical ability for playing through the centre. He looks great because he has bags of energy and technical ability, but unfortunately he doesn't have the pace to beat a man regularly or the strength to put in a meaningful tackle. He is a wonderful set-piece taker and the best at the club by a mile, but I'm afraid that's not enough.

It's time for him to move on I'm afraid.

Martin H
02-02-2015, 12:14 PM
I think he might do really well at Celtic if this is true and his best chance of making a career I reckon - hope it's true for his sake.

DARZET EAGLE
02-02-2015, 12:15 PM
:clown::clown:A broken light bulb could shine at Celtic :D

:D:D

Friskey
02-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Pacy? Lol.

God knows what's going on with your stream.

elgin eagle
02-02-2015, 12:45 PM
I know you like the Scots(!), but he's lightweight in the tackle, despite wanting to win it desperately. He also lacks pace. Robbie Savage played with him and said (during the Dover commentary) it's his lack of pace that means he can't play on the wings, but that he has fantastic technical ability for playing through the centre. He looks great because he has bags of energy and technical ability, but unfortunately he doesn't have the pace to beat a man regularly or the strength to put in a meaningful tackle. He is a wonderful set-piece taker and the best at the club by a mile, but I'm afraid that's not enough.

It's time for him to move on I'm afraid.

Lets see. Agreed he's no winger, but has enough to do his fair share of the dirty work. At least you have a bit more sense than Friskey in that you can at least recognise how he has the ability to run games.

ssn have just denied the rumours anyway so looks like it isn't time, maybe a loan may happen is all.

Breaking rocks
02-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Not happening

ThatGingerGuy
02-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Going to Bolton on a loan deal according to SSNHQ just now...

Slimbloke'H'
02-02-2015, 06:10 PM
On his way to Bolton on loan according to Sky.

Jaserob
02-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Going the other way in Lee deal?

Al From Bromley
02-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Hey Big Man, how do fancy going on loan to Celtic?
Really boss?
No, only joking, it's actually Bolton - which is quite near Celtic.

Al From Bromley
02-02-2015, 07:29 PM
He's back at Palace's training ground apparently.

Malarkey
02-02-2015, 07:32 PM
He's back at Palace's training ground apparently.

Good signing if true