PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Darnell Furlong

Sp1Eagle
25-02-2015, 01:22 PM
QPR face a major battle to hold on to Darnell Furlong after the wonderkid made his debut against Hull last weekend.

Furlong, son of former Chelsea and QPR striker Paul, is out of contract at the end of the season.

West Brom, Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Hull are among the teams monitoring Furlong's situation at Rangers as they battle against relegation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2968511/Darnell-Furlong-s-QPR-future-doubt-Newcastle-Crystal-Palace-monitor-defender-s-situation.html#ixzz3SlLqXH84

Fatboy
25-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Another right back?......

SJ'sLoveMonkey
25-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Another right back?......

Ward off?

TheCharmer
25-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Ward off?

Get a decent offer. Bite their hands off. He's been average this season. Not convinced he has the pace for this league.

pauldrulez
25-02-2015, 02:07 PM
Get a decent offer. Bite their hands off. He's been average this season. Not convinced he has the pace for this league.

Out of contract isn't he?

Santos-er
25-02-2015, 02:17 PM

Next summer.

zonin2000
25-02-2015, 02:17 PM

June 2016

SJ'sLoveMonkey
25-02-2015, 02:19 PM
He has been pretty disappointing this season, wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the close season

cpfcfan1
25-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Rather have paul

PalaceMonkey
25-02-2015, 02:27 PM
He has been pretty disappointing this season, wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the close season

hasn't he only played one game?

Littlecaesar
25-02-2015, 02:45 PM

Doesn't matter he is the future of English football............. fast forward 3 years and he will be struggling to get into a League 2 first team.

Kirby
25-02-2015, 02:47 PM

Think he means Joel Ward.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
25-02-2015, 02:49 PM
Two horse race between us and Hull. Type of player you'd want in Derbys. How many Grand National caps has he earnt? I wouldn't bet against this signing falling at the first fence. Could be useful while we jockey for position against other clubs down the bottom. Can Pardew whip him into shape. Let's hope we get him for a decent price rather than saddle ourselves with debt. Hopefully no character issues that might stirrup problems in the dressing room. Could offer us some stable-ility and so on.

Wibble Wobble
25-02-2015, 06:21 PM
Two horse race between us and Hull. Type of player you'd want in Derbys. How many Grand National caps has he earnt? I wouldn't bet against this signing falling at the first fence. Could be useful while we jockey for position against other clubs down the bottom. Can Pardew whip him into shape. Let's hope we get him for a decent price rather than saddle ourselves with debt. Hopefully no character issues that might stirrup problems in the dressing room. Could offer us some stable-ility and so on.
Neigh I don't think so.

DARZET EAGLE
25-02-2015, 06:25 PM
An unlikely runner, but too early to see if he's a decent footballer.

Jim Cannon
25-02-2015, 06:33 PM
Sounds like a non runner to me

cockles
25-02-2015, 06:34 PM
West Brom, Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Hull are among the teams monitoring Furlong's situation at Rangers as they battle against relegation.

It will go down to the line.

pauldrulez
25-02-2015, 07:07 PM
Next summer.

Ta.

Got confused because of the hysteria being shown in September as he hadn't signed.

Biggineagle
25-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Just cos dad is famous is the reason some kids get pushed in front of better kids, he may be brilliant havent seen him play. Paul Ince anyone, D Ferguson Must be others

Oli28
25-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Just cos dad is famous is the reason some kids get pushed in front of better kids, he may be brilliant havent seen him play. Paul Ince anyone, D Ferguson Must be others
What about all the other football managers who don't have their kids playing professionally?

Tom Ince is a good player, Darnell Furlong looked pretty good on his Premier League debut as well.

Biggineagle
25-02-2015, 10:24 PM
What about all the other football managers who don't have their kids playing professionally?

Tom Ince is a good player, Darnell Furlong looked pretty good on his Premier League debut as well.Quite

Celestial Empire
25-02-2015, 11:00 PM
Mandela Egbo.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
25-02-2015, 11:03 PM

Is that why Brooklyn Beckham is apparently NOT getting a deal at Arsenal.

DARZET EAGLE
25-02-2015, 11:06 PM
Mandela Egbo.

Much better if we can develope young players from within, it sends out positive signals to other Academy starlets. I'd love Egbo to get the nod soon.

Gazza2
25-02-2015, 11:08 PM
Seeing as Darnell's Dad is u18s boss at QPR I imagine he'll probably stay there. If not, his Dad could find himself unemployed.

Gazza2
25-02-2015, 11:11 PM
Egbo has not signed a pro deal with Palace. Which is very unusual as the most promising talents usually put pen to paper on the day they are 17. And he is the best prospect to come through the Academy in the last 3 years.
If I was a betting man, my money would be on him signing for one of the bigger clubs this Summer for the sort of money that will make his agent a happy man.

DARZET EAGLE
25-02-2015, 11:14 PM
Egbo has not signed a pro deal with Palace. Which is very unusual as the most promising talents usually put pen to paper on the day they are 17. And he is the best prospect to come through the Academy in the last 3 years.
If I was a betting man, my money would be on him signing for one of the bigger clubs this Summer for the sort of money that will make his agent a happy man.

No, what a rotter, I don't believe it for one minute.

Gazza2
25-02-2015, 11:19 PM
You better believe it. Egbo was 17 six months ago and no pro contract signed yet.
Could be a surprise and he agrees a contract with Palace. But odds in favour of him going as no contract signed yet. Even at his age they nearly all have agents who speak to other clubs and find out what they will offer.

Martin H
25-02-2015, 11:33 PM
It does seem very disappointing somehow that there isn't some greater tie to the club. It also seems that the best prospects get international recognition and spend time with players from the bigger clubs and exposed to the agents and so on - and heads are turned.

The bit that seems odd to me still is the lack of real opportunity at the bigger clubs to break through and yet they still suck players in. Outside of Southampton, very few of the top 6-8 clubs actually bring youngsters through. Having said that, I don't think it's anywhere as easy at Palace now either.

Be nice if there was a neat answer for this but I don't think there is one.

Gazza2
25-02-2015, 11:43 PM
Spot on Martin.
Heads possibly turned on International duty. Harder for youth to break through now we are in Prem.
Should be remembered that even at 17 these lads are very career orientated and they will rightly do what they think is best for their career whether be it move somewhere paying more or move somewhere where they have more chance of playing for the first team. Most of the lads at the top age range in the Academy are not Palace fans like us. They mostly support Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea etc.
50% of those given a pro contract at 17 are out of the pro game by time they are 20. So I can understand those who take the cash from a big club who may pay 6k a week to a highly rated 17 year old. Like Chelsea did with Loftus-Cheek. So even if player does not kick on and gets released at 20, he's probably saved enough to buy a flat / small house for cash and set himself up for the future.

Martin H
25-02-2015, 11:49 PM
Spot on Martin.
Heads possibly turned on International duty. Harder for youth to break through now we are in Prem.
Should be remembered that even at 17 these lads are very career orientated and they will rightly do what they think is best for their career whether be it move somewhere paying more or move somewhere where they have more chance of playing for the first team. Most of the lads at the top age range in the Academy are not Palace fans like us. They mostly support Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea etc.
50% of those given a pro contract at 17 are out of the pro game by time they are 20. So I can understand those who take the cash from a big club who may pay 6k a week to a highly rated 17 year old. Like Chelsea did with Loftus-Cheek. So even if player does not kick on and gets released at 20, he's probably saved enough to buy a flat / small house for cash and set himself up for the future.

Yeah - I do understand that the whole thing is a risk at the best of times and when hard cash is dangled it's difficult to ignore it because they can stash enough cash to fund some sort of start-up if the football goes belly-up.

But at some point - if the trend is for the best players to migrate to the top few clubs - why would the other clubs bother investing in the youth below contract level. Today I assume it's still viable for the club but I could see a minor shift in this could almost make it a waste of cash. That would be a disaster for football and they would have to fix it then.

Gazza2
25-02-2015, 11:56 PM
That's exactly my worry Martin. Under EPPP we'd only get around 200k up front comp for Egbo at the most.
We'd get more further down the line based on how many games he played in Prem or other divisions. If he really became a prem regular we could get up to 2m eventually.

Gazza2
25-02-2015, 11:59 PM
Egbo could be Palace version of Pogba at Man U. Do we offer a contract big enough to keep him or hold firm and lose him and possibly regret it later?
If we pay big now then others coming thru in next few years who are as good will expect the same. If we don't and let best prospects leave at 17 then what is point of having an Academy.
Touch of Catch 22.

Gazza2
26-02-2015, 12:08 AM
On plus side, we've not lost any good prospects aged 17 yet. Egbo would be the first if he goes elsewhere.

Martin H
26-02-2015, 12:13 AM
Fingers crossed. He looks from the snippets I have seen as an exciting prospect.

DarkAngel
26-02-2015, 02:01 AM
Don't get this at all. He's played ONE first team game. Why would we want him?

SmokeyStover7
26-02-2015, 02:18 AM
On plus side, we've not lost any good prospects aged 17 yet. Egbo would be the first if he goes elsewhere.

Why doesn't it happen more often? Are other teams generally not willing to offer more for our top prospects than we are?

Biggineagle
26-02-2015, 06:57 AM
Don't get this at all. He's played ONE first team game. Why would we want him?:p he is a wonderkid tho......
Also some here think anyone who can amass a few mins in a prem game is brill.

Gazza2
26-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Why doesn't it happen more often? Are other teams generally not willing to offer more for our top prospects than we are?

I think the reason it has not happened previously is because Egbo is the first outstanding prospect for last 2 to 3 years. And before that time, youngsters could see a much faster route into our 1st team than at a big club. So there was a reason to not chase the money and to stay. Now it is much more difficult to get into our 1st team, there is not so much of an incentive to stay here and turn down more money elsewhere.

SmokeyStover7
26-02-2015, 04:05 PM
I think the reason it has not happened previously is because Egbo is the first outstanding prospect for last 2 to 3 years. And before that time, youngsters could see a much faster route into our 1st team than at a big club. So there was a reason to not chase the money and to stay. Now it is much more difficult to get into our 1st team, there is not so much of an incentive to stay here and turn down more money elsewhere.

Thanks. This seems to be one of the bigger organizational issues that the club will have figure out going forward.

While players should not be tied to one team (giving the team incredible leverage in contracts), the academy will be rendered near useless if we are unable to retain our top prospects.

AJ8
26-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Is that why Brooklyn Beckham is apparently NOT getting a deal at Arsenal.

He was fast tracked into the team ahead of much better players because of his name though. Not his fault. Don't think he'll make it to the big time but hopefully makes a career out of it, Cruz Beckham on the other hand shows immense potential apparently.

Woosie
28-02-2015, 11:06 AM

The Omen
14-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Sam Cunningham at Selhurst Park: Darnell Furlong is hooked at half-time for Clint Hill. Feel for the 19-year-old full-back who was torn to pieces by Yannick Bolasie. It was like someone putting a puppy into a sack and kicking it repeatedly.

After what I saw today, I don't think Furlong is for us :)

beef
14-03-2015, 03:02 PM
Trust the mail to conjure an image like that

st albans
14-03-2015, 03:05 PM
Both their full backs were all over the place today

Jon_C-Pal
14-03-2015, 03:25 PM

Lol

Sceagle
14-03-2015, 03:39 PM
He did some things very well. Cruel to throw him into the deep end like that. Most players would have struggled today against that.

BulletEagle
14-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Both their full backs were all over the place today

The left back was abysmal

Walrus
14-03-2015, 05:56 PM
He was fast tracked into the team ahead of much better players because of his name though. Not his fault. Don't think he'll make it to the big time but hopefully makes a career out of it, Cruz Beckham on the other hand shows immense potential apparently.

Hands down winner of World Wankiest Name, I'll give him that.

the drexciyan
14-03-2015, 06:08 PM
Yannick Bolasie. Show him a pup and he'll put it in a sack and kick it repeatedly.

Arron
14-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Darnell Furlong? At times I thought they were playing Paul Furlong at left-back the ease with which Yannick was going by him.

Billyd
14-03-2015, 06:48 PM

:eek:

Benzhiyi
14-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Darnell Furlong? At times I thought they were playing Paul Furlong at left-back the ease with which Yannick was going by him.

Paul Furlong looks nothing like Yun Suk-Young… :eek: :eek: :eek:

;) :D