PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Stewart


lees eagles
20-08-2002, 10:22 PM
I have been reading that Portsmouth have pulled out of the Marcus Stewart 1m bid because they couldn't afford 10k a week!

Surely, if the Mullins deal goes through, as is likely, we should try and get him. Thus, leaving money for another midfielder, i.e. Michael Brown!

This proven goalscorer could be Dougie's ideal partner!

Any thoughts?

macca69
20-08-2002, 10:28 PM
Ispwich have valued him at 900,000, i think hes a 2 million plus man myself. We have to try and get him, don't we?

lees eagles
20-08-2002, 10:30 PM
I wonder if they will drop the price knowing his wage demands?????

Riccardo
20-08-2002, 10:32 PM
Personally, bite their hand off for 900k...but we've already got about 8 strikers.

Dougie
Ade
AJ
Dele
Kabba

Ok....5 then. Dougie and Marcus Stewart would be class. AA or Dele on the bench. We can dream.....

macca69
20-08-2002, 10:34 PM
Tell me if you think iam wrong, but i belive Marcus Stewart is much better than Clinton. What do u think?

Justy C
20-08-2002, 10:40 PM
Decent forward but the timing is all wrong, we've just signed two (AJ and Adebola) and as you say Riccardo that gives us 5 at present. I also reckon that the player would be looking for a Premier League team (eg Southampton, WBA) rather than a club like us at present. Can't see it happening myself.

lees eagles
20-08-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by macca69
Tell me if you think iam wrong, but i belive Marcus Stewart is much better than Clinton. What do u think?

Well, Stewart is a proven Premiership goalscorer, 21 goals in 30 games, I think. Morrison has yet to be tested at that level, although he scored on his debut for us in the Prem!

Stewart, in my opinion is good in the air, he has pace, and his work ethic is extremely good!

I think we tried to sign him in 1996, but brought Gareth Taylor instead!

PeterH
20-08-2002, 10:42 PM
Really top goalscorer for good money. Other than for financial need ask yourselves why Ipswich are selling him.

I heard he is a nasty piece of work disliked by fans and all his fellow players. Thinks he is the real daddy.

Now ask yourself if someone who has scored so many goals is so disliked by people who should adore him. He was shifted out of Huddersfield pretty quick despite a cracking goal scoring record as well.

Do we really want him, could cause some real rows on here by the sound of it.

pete eagle
20-08-2002, 10:44 PM
not with 'bruiser' Francis around he won't:D

cpfcben
20-08-2002, 11:26 PM
would love to have him at palace he is not only a proven goal scorer at 1st division but also at at prem level aswell

he would be a fantastic signing but can anyone really see it happening!!!
him and dougie would be a mouth watering partnership

yorkshire eagle
20-08-2002, 11:35 PM
ile tell you something about stewart shall i? ive got a number of ipswich season ticket holding friends as i live about 25 minutes from ipswich and to a man thay HATE him. in my working mans club one of ipswichs chief youth scouts come's in and he says (and i quote "stewart is a nasty vindictive piece of work he is disliked by staff and players burley carnt stand him and only a watertight contract keeps him there) :eek: plus add to this he is on in excess of 20k a week :eek: jesus my pals say hes lazy had 1 good season and he intends to live on that for ever ambrose thay say is twice the player

when i told one tonight about this thread thay laughed and said thay would happly drive him to palace and chip in to keep him there

this would be a disaster i would rarther sign wise (who i really dislike) on a 20 year contract no no no no:grrr:

lees eagles
20-08-2002, 11:39 PM
What a change it would make to have someone at our club who is disliked by their own fans!!!!!

yorkshire eagle
20-08-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by lees eagles
What a change it would make to have someone at our club who is disliked by their own fans!!!!!

trust me the way thay talk about him make's it look like we love all our players he is really dispiesed

rashid
21-08-2002, 01:13 AM
read in a paper today (Mail?) that Stewart is not going to Pompey because even though he is allegedly prepared to take a 50% cut in his 40,000 per week wages they cannot/will not pay that sort of amount. Can't see Jordan either, and rightly so in my opinion.

pete eagle
21-08-2002, 01:17 AM
i can't see Stewart being payed 40,000 a week by Ipswich, when they bought him, he was a middle of the road division one striker who scored a lot of goals but certainly not worth 40,000 a week. Anyway i cannot see how they would not be able to afford Stewart when they are poised to sign Moreno Torricelli who must be demanding a lot of money

AJ
21-08-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by yorkshire eagle
ile tell you something about stewart shall i? ive got a number of ipswich season ticket holding friends as i live about 25 minutes from ipswich and to a man thay HATE him. in my working mans club one of ipswichs chief youth scouts come's in and he says (and i quote "stewart is a nasty vindictive piece of work he is disliked by staff and players burley carnt stand him and only a watertight contract keeps him there) :eek: plus add to this he is on in excess of 20k a week :eek: jesus my pals say hes lazy had 1 good season and he intends to live on that for ever ambrose thay say is twice the player

when i told one tonight about this thread thay laughed and said thay would happly drive him to palace and chip in to keep him there

this would be a disaster i would rarther sign wise (who i really dislike) on a 20 year contract no no no no:grrr:

Sounds like he would fit right in with SJ and TF:o :o

AJ
21-08-2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by pete eagle
i can't see Stewart being payed 40,000 a week by Ipswich, when they bought him, he was a middle of the road division one striker who scored a lot of goals but certainly not worth 40,000 a week. Anyway i cannot see how they would not be able to afford Stewart when they are poised to sign Moreno Torricelli who must be demanding a lot of money

Do Ipswich(and the other relegated) teams still get the parachute money and how much is that.
Hearing that HH and now Marcus Stewert are on such high wages, Ipswich could be in serious trouble if they fail to get promoted. Bradford showed how easily one can fall and remember Bradford offloaded a number of their high earners, plus they took 2.5m in transfer fees from Palace alone.
One has to wonder whether promotion to the Premeirship for some teams is just a quicker way to financial ruin?

Selhurst300
21-08-2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by PeterH
Now ask yourself if someone who has scored so many goals is so disliked by people who should adore him. He was shifted out of Huddersfield pretty quick despite a cracking goal scoring record as well.


Wasn't he sold by the Huddersfield board against the manager's wishes? Also, I seem to recall Huddersfield playing at Selhurst just before he was sold and there being a very strong support for Stewart by the Huddersfield fans.

lees eagles
21-08-2002, 01:51 AM
I think Bruce left Huddersfield because he had to sell Stewart!!!!!

Walrus
21-08-2002, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by lees eagles
I think Bruce left Huddersfield because he had to sell Stewart!!!!!

Kindred spirits perhaps ?

SHiggins
21-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Stewart would be great at our level if we could get him on decent wages and for less than a million. But with 4 strikers already and Kabba improving we would have to offload one surely. Also not convinced he would form a great partnership with Dougie - Too similar?

PeterH
21-08-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by yorkshire eagle
ile tell you something about stewart shall i? ive got a number of ipswich season ticket holding friends as i live about 25 minutes from ipswich and to a man thay HATE him. in my working mans club one of ipswichs chief youth scouts come's in and he says (and i quote "stewart is a nasty vindictive piece of work he is disliked by staff and players burley carnt stand him and only a watertight contract keeps him there) :eek: plus add to this he is on in excess of 20k a week :eek: jesus my pals say hes lazy had 1 good season and he intends to live on that for ever ambrose thay say is twice the player

when i told one tonight about this thread thay laughed and said thay would happly drive him to palace and chip in to keep him there

this would be a disaster i would rarther sign wise (who i really dislike) on a 20 year contract no no no no:grrr:

Bingo.

PeterH
21-08-2002, 04:55 PM
Just linking to Hriedarsson the other day staying at Ipswich. I later read somewhere that he was on more money at Ipswich than WBA offered.

Seems to me just a pack of lies that he didn't want to get involved in a relegation battle. It was all just about money after all.

Ipswich look to be gambling it all on an instant return. But they are still desperate to offload one or two. They will do well to keep hold of Holland.

Walrus
21-08-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by PeterH

Ipswich look to be gambling it all on an instant return. But they are still desperate to offload one or two. They will do well to keep hold of Holland.

Agreed. Reckon Villa may be in for him....

On topic, a big NO THANKS to Marcus Stewart. Let him fester on Ipswich's wage bill.

Psychokiller
21-08-2002, 10:12 PM
Apparently Pompey turned Stewart down because of his 10k per week wage demands.

We're reported as offering petulant little **** Dennis Wise that amount!

Just a thought....

Essexeagle
21-08-2002, 10:18 PM
As I used to work for the EADT, I still know lots of people up there and Stewart is apparently widely disliked within the club and by the fans.

They have no doubt he can score goals, but they would much rather he wasn't at the club.

pete eagle
21-08-2002, 11:44 PM
Holland is off to Villa for 4.5 million if personal terms are agreed which they are likely to be because while Holland is loyal, he would be looking to now seal his starting place in the Republic side and with Kinsella,Butler,McAteer,Kilbane,Duff all playing in the Premiership, him starting in Division one may not guarantee him the starting place.

Ipswich will receive parachute money for the next two years, i'm not quite sure how much it is per year but i think it is quite a hefty sum of money

boxing francis
22-08-2002, 03:42 PM
i feel this would be a good buy, 10 grand a week is a very little fee if his goals help you get into the premiership;) :o :sob: :) :D :grrr: :angel: :confused: :afro:

Jimbo ?
23-08-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by macca69
Ispwich have valued him at 900,000, i think hes a 2 million plus man myself. We have to try and get him, don't we?

I really thought he was 1 for the premier league - but if pompy went for him well maybe not - I think he is worth a Mil easy!!

Jimbo ?
23-08-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by boxing francis
...........if............


need i say more

PeterH
23-08-2002, 10:55 PM
The Holland deal has broken down, must be personal terms. What are Ipswich paying these players if Villa canot afford him.

Either that or he met Doug Ellis.

AJ
23-08-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by PeterH
The Holland deal has broken down, must be personal terms. What are Ipswich paying these players if Villa canot afford him.

Either that or he met Doug Ellis.

It obvious that Ipswich are paying them too much. I think that Ipswich, along with the other relegated teams are in a serious financial position. I see Leicester sold 2 more players for 3.5m and are still saying that more players need to be sold.
If Ipswich are paying HH 18k a week and Holland on something similar, they are, and will be in deeper sh!t if they don't get promoted this season.
Derby could be worse off. They haven't sold as many players, have Ravinelli on 40k a week and have debts of 30m. Their bank has already told them to reduce that debt in half.

I think West Brom are planning a quick return to Division One and are making sure that they are financially safe before that happens.

pete eagle
24-08-2002, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by PeterH
The Holland deal has broken down, must be personal terms. What are Ipswich paying these players if Villa canot afford him.

Either that or he met Doug Ellis.

i think it is more likely that he doesn't really want to leave Ipswich and was looking for a big pay rise to be convinced to move

Stavros 69
24-08-2002, 01:10 AM
I dont see him coming to us at all, infact i see him going somewhere like WBA or Birmingham (*spit*). They would be the teams to afford his wages. Not a chance we'll see him in a Palace shirt. If he came all the new signing would have been a waste of time because he would be first choice striker and within a few months some of the others would be out the door. Lets build on a new midfielder and it looks like a new goalkeeper. We have a good young squad lets build for a play off place and possibly lets right off this season and go for promotion in 2003/2004.

PeterH
24-08-2002, 03:08 AM
I am happy with that Stavros.