PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Pullis After Ledley

Chris K
14-05-2015, 08:08 AM
There's a piece in the Sun today that Pullis is after Ledley and speculating that Pardew won't take much convincing as he's subbed him in the last two games.

PauLo
14-05-2015, 08:10 AM
And they say the quality of journalism is slipping.

the drexciyan
14-05-2015, 08:11 AM
Wanker Pulis planting little stories to try to get some momentum on this.

He can fck right off. Ledley is a class act for us.

Malarkey
14-05-2015, 08:13 AM
No no no. Ledley is actually good at passing, and we're trying to adapt to a passing game. So why would he want to go back to a team who's will be dominated by hoofball next season? Pulis can do one.

Gooders
14-05-2015, 08:15 AM
So it begins.

Stavros 69
14-05-2015, 08:26 AM
He's a brilliant player, wouldnt expect any less

sloworm
14-05-2015, 08:40 AM
No chance, move on

ForzaPalace
14-05-2015, 09:10 AM
Pullis

Nigelbrag
14-05-2015, 09:25 AM
If some are suggesting that Jedinak is dispensable, then why not Ledley? Should there be a change in system/formation next season as seems likely, then why not.
I have said this before, for next season a Midfield of Diame--Cabaye--Mutch/McArthur would be an exciting improvement.

cheekychippie
14-05-2015, 09:26 AM
don't want to lose Ledley ,good team player and would be missed

gilesy14
14-05-2015, 09:26 AM
If some are suggesting that Jedinak is dispensable, then why not Ledley? Should there be a change in system/formation next season as seems likely, then why not.
I have said this before, for next season a Midfield of Diame--Cabaye--Mutch/McArthur would be an exciting improvement.

Because Ledley can pass a fecking ball. That's the difference.

DHeagle
14-05-2015, 09:44 AM

And signing Diame and Cabaye would require a substantial outlay that would not necessarily benefit the rest of the team. As far as I am aware Diame went off the boil after about 2 months at Hull?

gilesy14
14-05-2015, 09:47 AM
And signing Diame and Cabaye would require a substantial outlay that would not necessarily benefit the rest of the team. As far as I am aware Diame went off the boil after about 2 months at Hull?

I don't know what you're on about?

DHeagle
14-05-2015, 09:49 AM

I am agreeing with you - more reasons why we shouldn't be selling Joe Ledley and explicitly going for the midfield that Nigelbrag mentioned..

CPFC_DAVE77
14-05-2015, 09:50 AM

Yea he lost me, too.

DHeagle
14-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Yea he lost me, too.

Perhaps gilesy was the wrong person to quote there.. :clown:

zonin2000
14-05-2015, 09:55 AM
And they say the quality of journalism is slipping.
This!!

gilesy14
14-05-2015, 10:00 AM
I am agreeing with you - more reasons why we shouldn't be selling Joe Ledley and explicitly going for the midfield that Nigelbrag mentioned..

Ah ok, fair enough. :p

DHeagle
14-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Ah ok, fair enough. :p

Yeah looking back at my post I haven't actually mentioned Ledley at all so apologies for the confusion!

For what it's worth I think that having played next to McArthur or Jedinak in the midfield throughout his time at Palace he has become one of the most undervalued players in the team - do not sell, especially not to Pulis!

ExiledStirling
14-05-2015, 10:04 AM
He can fck right off.
Don't we know it. The bastard.

Dave
14-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Joel has quite a few fans in the premier league, rightly so.

I was always kinda amazed we got him to be honest.

little dedders
14-05-2015, 10:21 AM
I will always love Pulis… for leaving the door wide open for Pards - best manager we've had since Coppell

spt1978
14-05-2015, 10:23 AM
10m then we can talk.

the drexciyan
14-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Joel has quite a few fans in the premier league, rightly so.

I was always kinda amazed we got him to be honest.

Same here, I regarded it as a real coup for us last January, especially at the knockdown fee because his contract was running down. This is a player we should be looking to keep if we really want to get our feet comfortable under the PL table.

Gathers54
14-05-2015, 10:28 AM
Same here, I regarded it as a real coup for us last January, especially at the knockdown fee because his contract was running down. This is a player we should be looking to keep if we really want to get our feet comfortable under the PL table.

I guess it depends on who we want to bring in...

Unlike previous seasons, we shouldn't sell anyone until such a time we already have a better replacement.

If we aren't looking to improve that said position then we keep who we have and do not sell.

Ledley is a good player and a top pro.

the drexciyan
14-05-2015, 10:33 AM

Unlike previous seasons, we shouldn't sell anyone until such a time we already have a better replacement.

If we aren't looking to improve that said position then we keep who we have and do not sell.

Yes, him and McArthur, with Boateng coming through and Jedi in a receding role is how it could play out next season. Those 2 as a partnership gave us our best run this season. We shouldn't be looking to get rid of the central planks of that successful run.

Walrus
14-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Given our transition to a direct footballing side from being a bus-parking and let's get lucky side, I'd prefer to keep Ledley and offer Pulis Jedinak for a considerable sum of cash.

liberal clubber
14-05-2015, 10:37 AM
lets get rid of planks

Mark_cpfc
14-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Rumour mill starting early, It's only what they did with Stoke players when he was here.

Next...

CheeseRolls
14-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Don't worry everyone, Nigel Reo-Coker is being lined up as Joe's replacement :eek:

mroakley9
14-05-2015, 10:45 AM
RDXTJa6TrKE

the drexciyan
14-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Don't worry everyone, Nigel Reo-Coker is being lined up as Joe's replacement :eek:

Wouldn't it warm the cockles if KG made an emotional return to the base of the midfeld? And wouldn't it bring joy to all the chicken shops in south london?

adrenalin john
14-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Best get the Pulis rumours in early, after all he will be walking out come August (or whenever his satying up bonus is paid)

Thefunkymonk
14-05-2015, 11:01 AM

Erm what you on?!

Cabaye - no chance
Diame - injured all the time and bad egg

Ledley is one of our best players

Ledley moved to palace from Celtic 1) to play in premier league and 2) for his Mrs. She wanted to move back to London - can't imagine she'll be wanting to move to Midlands

glaziers fan
14-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Don't care to be totally honest. Whilst Ledley has been a fine servant, and instrumental in saving us from relegation, Jedinak is better in the holding role (Ledley wins far less ball), and Mcarthur is a better box-to-box player (more pace).

I know lots of you want us to be better passers, but we are not Arsenal and if we try to play like that we will not be as successful as if we build to our strengths. Our style is conceding possession, and then breaking with pace on the wings, and being good on set-pieces. Jedinak, Bolasie and Zaha are crucial to this. Ledley is great cover for us but if he wants to start he moves on with my blessing. He has many strengths, but the only thing he offers us over Jedinak is passing ability and to me that's not important.

Other than getting a left footed left back that can defend, our main priority should be 2 new strikers. They should have pace, and be good in the air, thus improving our 2 main strengths: counter-attack and set-pieces. If we want to emulate a side then it should be Chelsea. They get results, teams like Blackpool, Wigan and Burnley etc that try to play good football will go down because you can't compete with the top passing sides at their own game.

evvo111
14-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Really hope this isn't true as we look far more balanced and effective with Ledley and McArthur in the side.

DHeagle
14-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Don't care to be totally honest. Whilst Ledley has been a fine servant, and instrumental in saving us from relegation, Jedinak is better in the holding role (Ledley wins far less ball), and Mcarthur is a better box-to-box player (more pace).

I know lots of you want us to be better passers, but we are not Arsenal and if we try to play like that we will not be as successful as if we build to our strengths. Our style is conceding possession, and then breaking with pace on the wings, and being good on set-pieces. Jedinak, Bolasie and Zaha are crucial to this. Ledley is great cover for us but if he wants to start he moves on with my blessing.

I would suggest that our style is fundamentally changing though, highlighted by the fact that pre-Pardew, Jedinak was putting in 8/10 performances near enough on a week by week basis, but now he seems to be a 6.5 at best.

I thought this against United, in more or less every game under Pardew, he has been just a part of our midfield, rather than a cornerstone that other players feed off, as he used to be.

This may be a temporary dip in form, but I would suggest that Ledley deserves more credit, and at any rate he is about as good a third central midfield option as we could hope for.

TheCharmer1
14-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Ledley is a key player for us I think, I've been surprised pardew has mentioned he needs to see more of him in recent games.

Beanie
14-05-2015, 11:18 AM

Agree the principle - but in the case of our "first team" surely it means three or four better players signed. There are worse than, in this case, Ledley (but it could be others) in the squad, so better than Ledley means better several - surely if anybody leaves the "poorer" players go first

kestoneagle
14-05-2015, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Jedi who was off to Stoke rather than Ledley.

Thefunkymonk
14-05-2015, 11:24 AM

I know lots of you want us to be better passers, but we are not Arsenal and if we try to play like that we will not be as successful as if we build to our strengths. Our style is conceding possession, and then breaking with pace on the wings, and being good on set-pieces. Jedinak, Bolasie and Zaha are crucial to this. Ledley is great cover for us but if he wants to start he moves on with my blessing. He has many strengths, but the only thing he offers us over Jedinak is passing ability and to me that's not important.

Other than getting a left footed left back that can defend, our main priority should be 2 new strikers. They should have pace, and be good in the air, thus improving our 2 main strengths: counter-attack and set-pieces. If we want to emulate a side then it should be Chelsea. They get results, teams like Blackpool, Wigan and Burnley etc that try to play good football will go down because you can't compete with the top passing sides at their own game.

Ridiculous.

Ledley has been one of our most consistent players.

He is better than jedinak.

GF I admire your loyalty to certain player but it certainly clouds your judgement.

glaziers fan
14-05-2015, 11:31 AM
I would suggest that our style is fundamentally changing though, highlighted by the fact that pre-Pardew, Jedinak was putting in 8/10 performances near enough on a week by week basis, but now he seems to be a 6.5 at best.

I thought this against United, in more or less every game under Pardew, he has been just a part of our midfield, rather than a cornerstone that other players feed off, as he used to be.

This may be a temporary dip in form, but I would suggest that Ledley deserves more credit, and at any rate he is about as good a third central midfield option as we could hope for.

I think Pardew is a multi-dimensional coach, and you're right that he wants us to play more, especially at home. I support that, and maybe it'll mean we play without a defensive mid at home, or Mcarthur there. No problem. But away from home, and at home against top 10 sides Jedinak is CRUCIAL. The fact he can't pass for toffee (although I think his passing ability is exaggerated) is irrelevant for these games. There's a reason our away form is so good. That reason is Jedinak. He has shown us that he can make the difference when we are under the cosh.

There's no doubt there is a strong correlation between attacking football and Jedinak being less effective. But this idea that if we pass the ball and don't play Jedinak, we won't have to defend is silly. We may have to defend less, but we will be undone more and huff/puff as we pass it sideways for 60%. I've seen us have over 50% possession. By and large we've lost the games. Jedinak is crucial to the way we play for 29 of the games. For the other 9 we probably won't play with a DM which means we won't need Ledley either!

Ledley doesn't have incisive enough passing to make a difference in an attacking team. He's not got the pace to win the 50/50s. He is not the answer to us progressing. I'd happily let him go. Apologies to Gilesy and Dave. I like him but he won't take us to the next level. We will need better attacking mids than him, and we already have 2 defensive mids who are better.

sydnsteve
14-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Ledley better than Jedinak? News to me. Things must have changed the 3 weeks I was away.

glaziers fan
14-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Ridiculous.

GF I admire your loyalty to certain player but it certainly clouds your judgement.

Ledley has been consistent. I actually have been impressed with his discipline when holding. But he doesn't win enough ball there. Jedinak and Mcarthur are better tacklers. I think Ledley was excellent last season as the 2nd defensive midfielder, and as one of 3 defensive mids under Warnock but we've moved on, and it's likely we will play with only 1 defensive mid next season at most.

Mutch is probably taking his place. Both similar in the tackle, but Mutch is a better passer and will score more goals (and quicker and younger).

glaziers fan
14-05-2015, 11:44 AM
Ledley better than Jedinak? News to me. Things must have changed the 3 weeks I was away.

He's a better passer. Against Hull and West Brom he may have been a more effective option than Jedinak. The problem is for 30+ games of the season he won't be.

Jedinak is a top class defensive mid. Ledley is a better technical player, but I've never know that to be more important than tackling, heading and winning ball for that position!

tommoboy0
14-05-2015, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=Thefunkymonk;12385561]

QUOTE]

Agree

Disagree

Ledley has had a better season that Jedi, but IMO Jedinak all day long if i had to pick over the two

Excowboy
14-05-2015, 11:52 AM
There has to be room in the squad for both Jedi and Ledley.

Before JL joined, we were very lucky that Jedi stayed injury and suspension free for so long as we had no cover in his position of anywhere near the same level. If either left, we'd be back to the same situation. (McArthur is awesome but not as suited to the holding role as the other two).

Add to that the fact that Ledley struggles with injures, Jedi has a tendency to get sent off, the fact that both of them fit in the same side, and they seem to be important personalities for the team. It seems mad to me to be looking at letting either of them go.

glaziers fan
14-05-2015, 11:55 AM
People have forgotten the first half of this season as well it seems. Jedinak was one of our 2 best players under Warnock, and his stats were up there with Ronaldo and Messi. I don't remember people getting their knickers in a twist from excitement about Joe Ledley. (And that's not a slight on JL, but if being a better passer was more important than tackling we'd have got rid of Mile as well and be playing Garvan instead!)

El Aguila
14-05-2015, 11:57 AM
I think we'd be daft to sell either of them (but especially Ledley).

glaziers fan
14-05-2015, 12:00 PM
There has to be room in the squad for both Jedi and Ledley.

Before JL joined, we were very lucky that Jedi stayed injury and suspension free for so long as we had no cover in his position of anywhere near the same level. If either left, we'd be back to the same situation. (McArthur is awesome but not as suited to the holding role as the other two).

Add to that the fact that Ledley struggles with injures, Jedi has a tendency to get sent off, the fact that both of them fit in the same side, and they seem to be important personalities for the team. It seems mad to me to be looking at letting either of them go.

Other than the elbow I can't remember many reds for Jedinak. Interesting you don't think Mcarthur could play holding mid. I'm minded to agree that if we were to play a top team JL would play. But if it was for cover and/or games against bottom 10 teams at home I think Mcarthur could do the job better. He played holding mid for Wigan IIRC. It's not impossible Mutch or Punch could be playing in that position for those games anyway.

Blind_Eagle
14-05-2015, 12:00 PM
There's a reason our away form is so good. That reason is Jedinak. He has shown us that he can make the difference when we are under the cosh

Pretty sure we have won away from home more times when Jedinak hasn't played actually. He didn't play in the Burnley, Leicester or Stoke away fixtures which we won.

Dave
14-05-2015, 12:04 PM

http://i.imgur.com/uPgoke0.jpg

gilesy14
14-05-2015, 12:09 PM

I'd suggest you were away for longer than 3 weeks.

kolinkins
14-05-2015, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't want to sell him but he may want to play for Pulis & Pardew may want someone else bought.

st albans
14-05-2015, 12:13 PM
i can't see us selling anyone to Pulis

maestro
14-05-2015, 12:15 PM
I like Ledley but he is a bit of Jack of all trades, master of none.

I think out midfield 3 is a massive area where we could improve, with 1 or 2 big signings.

Excowboy
14-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Other than the elbow I can't remember many reds for Jedinak. Interesting you don't think Mcarthur could play holding mid. I'm minded to agree that if we were to play a top team JL would play. But if it was for cover and/or games against bottom 10 teams at home I think Mcarthur could do the job better. He played holding mid for Wigan IIRC. It's not impossible Mutch or Punch could be playing in that position for those games anyway.

No way could Mutch or Punch play holding mid. I love the idea of us being able to play a midfield of something like McArthur, Puncheon and Chamakh should Jedley be out of the equation, but it's a world away from the solidity we've based our success on. Wigan aren't exactly the best example of how to protect your defence!

Gregz41
14-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Playing all 3 of Jedinak, Mcarthur and Ledley, especially at home has seen us unable to break down the teams in and around us who won't play such an open game. I think we have looked best as a side when Ledley and Mcarthur have played.

Boyandy
14-05-2015, 12:32 PM
I'm another one in the hugely underrated camp. He's not as all-action as McArthur and doesn't have the presence of Jedinak so I think a lot of his work goes unnoticed. But I think we've missed him when he hasn't played.

I think a Jedinak/Ledley or a McArthur/Ledley midfield works better than a Jedinak/McArthur one from what I've seen as well.

I'd rather hold on to all 3 and spend the money elsewhere where the need is greater.

EagleSE24
14-05-2015, 12:38 PM
I love Ledley's lung busting runs late in the game when he's racing forward on the counter to support the wingers or striker. He's excellent positionally and I'd love to keep him.

The dream is strength in the squad from 1-25. The challenge is keeping them all happy.

danpalace07
14-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Do one, Tone. Take Jedinak and **** off.

carter
14-05-2015, 04:24 PM

nice

Stavros 69
14-05-2015, 06:09 PM

What a load of shite

The_Mole
14-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Quality player, need to keep him if we are to progress. Wrong kind of player to be thinking about selling.

Ollie Ox
14-05-2015, 07:56 PM
We'de be crazy to sell him, him and Mcarthur were great when Jedi was away

Cleon
14-05-2015, 07:56 PM
Ledley is ******* ace.

Pulis can **** off,

Breaking rocks
14-05-2015, 08:01 PM
SP should tell Pulis he can have him, draw up all the paperwork etc and then, two days before the start of next season, tell him to f**k the f**k off.

Biggineagle
14-05-2015, 08:03 PM
niceQuite

Biggineagle
14-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Keep, but dont ever think of playing him at left back again Pardew.

Lee sinnots ear
14-05-2015, 08:56 PM

Very articulate and accurate

Lee sinnots ear
14-05-2015, 08:58 PM

Other than getting a left footed left back that can defend, our main priority should be 2 new strikers. They should have pace, and be good in the air, thus
improving our 2 main strengths: counter-attack and set-pieces. If we want to emulate a side then it should be Chelsea. They get results, teams like Blackpool, Wigan and Burnley etc that try to play good football will go down because you can't compete with the top passing sides at their own game.

I love your passion for Palace but you do talk a load of bollox at times and this is one of them

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
14-05-2015, 09:14 PM
SP should tell Pulis he can have him, draw up all the paperwork etc and then, two days before the start of next season, tell him to f**k the f**k off.

:D

rednblue4ever
14-05-2015, 09:26 PM

Eh? Ledley ain't goin anywhere Pulis you ****!

Beatleboy
14-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Eh? Ledley ain't goin anywhere Pulis you ****!

I really don't understand posts like this. What will be, will be. Making stroppy exclamations as if they are factual ( how do you know Ledley isn't going anywhere, or that there is even any truth in the rumours at all?), won't change what the power brokers decide. Decisions will be made behind closed doors by the people that own/manage the club. It's the owners money and risk after all. They will consider whether selling him is good or bad for CPFC/themselves when looking at the bigger picture.

I personally like him, but as I said, it won't be down to you ,or I, to decide what happens with him or any of our players.

Breaking rocks
14-05-2015, 10:06 PM
I really don't understand posts like this. What will be, will be. Making stroppy exclamations as if they are factual ( how do you know Ledley isn't going anywhere, or that there is even any truth in the rumours at all?), won't change what the power brokers decide. Decisions will be made behind closed doors by the people that own/manage the club. It's the owners money and risk after all. They will consider whether selling him is good or bad for CPFC/themselves when looking at the bigger picture.

I personally like him, but as I said, it won't be down to you ,or I, to decide what happens with him or any of our players.

Oh, you old killjoy, spoiling all the fun.

sydney eagle
14-05-2015, 10:25 PM
SP should tell Pulis he can have him, draw up all the paperwork etc and then, two days before the start of next season, tell him to f**k the f**k off.:p

Thefunkymonk
14-05-2015, 11:07 PM
He's a better passer. Against Hull and West Brom he may have been a more effective option than Jedinak. The problem is for 30+ games of the season he won't be.

Jedinak is a top class defensive mid. Ledley is a better technical player, but I've never know that to be more important than tackling, heading and winning ball for that position!

It's all very well winning tackles.. But if you lose it straight away (which he does) then it's pointless.

He also has been terrible defensively this season. He's also been rash.. I can think of a couple of occasions where his stupid tackles have fave away free kicks/penalties that have cost is or nearly cost us. As our squad gets better he is becoming less important... Unfortunate reality.

Ledley never puts a foot wrong and goes quietly about his business. He is a very good footballer, better than Jedi

Beatleboy
14-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Oh, you old killjoy, spoiling all the fun.

:)

Icy
15-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Up there with Dann, McArthur and Punch in terms of importance

white
15-05-2015, 08:03 AM

We had our best spell this season with Mcarthur and Ledley in the middle, whilst Jedinak was away with Aus and then injured. Both are better footballers than Jedinak IMO...

Saying that though, Jedinak is vital to the team though, through his leadership qualities and the way he breaks up play. He for me, optimizes what Palace are about. Hard working, dedicated and a leader.

Definitely wouldn't want to lose Ledley, especially not to Pulis. We shouldn't be looking to lose any players this summer, only adding to our squad.

Worksop Palace
15-05-2015, 08:03 AM

GF in ' non Zaha ' debate mentioning Zaha shocker

AJ
15-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Selling players is always going to happen, but let's hope the club have learned how to price players in a way that garantees that the replacement is better.

El Aguila
15-05-2015, 10:48 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing our points per game in the Premier League with Ledley starting, and without. It might focus a few people.

Aaroncpfc
15-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Lesley's got more to his game than just passing. His physicality is greatly appreciated for Wales and for us. It would be a big loss and one i can't see happening. Pardew seems to note his value.

Big Fella
15-05-2015, 11:48 AM
The one manager we will not sell to is Pulis. Nothing to see here.

EryrExile
15-05-2015, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing our points per game in the Premier League with Ledley starting, and without. It might focus a few people.

Don't worry, I've done the legwork for you:

With Ledley starting: 1.17 ppg.
Without Ledley starting: 1.14 ppg.
With Ledley playing the entire match: 1.48 ppg.
With Ledley playing at some point: 1.29 ppg.
Without Ledley playing at any point: 0.40 ppg.

It may be worth remembering, however that the games he didn't feature in at all were against West Ham (H), Newcastle (A), Burnley (H), Aston Villa (H) and Hull (H), whilst he came off the bench against West Ham (A) and Sunderland (A). It could be argued that these kinds of games are not representative of our season as a whole, so a purely numeric comparison of those results to others isn't really a suitable way to reach a reliable conclusion about anything :D

Some interesting trivia: we've gone on to lose each of the six league matches this season in which he's been subbed off :eek:

El Aguila
15-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Thank you!

Well there you go, I guess.

mb23
15-05-2015, 02:20 PM
Rate Ledley very highly, and think he makes our team click more often than not. But could see him leaving as he is not a guaranteed starter under pardew.

I'd take a swap deal involving Craig Gardner, but otherwise we shouldn't be selling (unless for silly money).

eagle101
15-05-2015, 08:04 PM
This would definitely be a case of 'don't know what you've got 'til it's gone' unless a real, top quality replacement was brought in.

Really think we shouldn't underestimate players like him in terms of the dressing room too.

I think he'll be staying, though - Jedinak more at risk IMO.

Pistol Knight
15-05-2015, 08:08 PM
This would definitely be a case of 'don't know what you've got 'til it's gone' unless a real, top quality replacement was brought in.

Really think we shouldn't underestimate players like him in terms of the dressing room too.

I think he'll be staying, though - Jedinak more at risk IMO.

He is more likley a Pullis target

Kirby
16-05-2015, 12:39 AM
Would be gutted if he left for a similar sized team.

No need to sell unless it's for stupid money.

New LP
16-05-2015, 12:56 AM
The one manager we will not sell to is Pulis. Nothing to see here.

We will sell to anyone if the colour of their money is right.

New LP
16-05-2015, 01:01 AM
i can't see us selling anyone to Pulis

The club are a business who will sell a player to anyone if they feel the deal and terms are right. A small, vocal clique of posters on this website who 'hate' Pulis may not like it, but there you go.

I personally hope we sell him to no one, simply because I think he's a valuable member of our squad.

Ralph
16-05-2015, 06:02 AM
Personally think we've looked better with McArthur and Ledley in the middle over Jedi.

Hope we keep him but in any possible deals, if we sell anyone I just hope we replace them with someone better.

Neillo's Son
16-05-2015, 06:43 AM
He's older than then, but didn't Pulis once bid £8 million for him? This was when he was completely unproven at Prem Level so if he genuinely wants him we should set the bar high.

If he supposedly wanted Crouch for £10 million, who knows how much he'll spend this season.

cockles
16-05-2015, 07:11 AM
Who is Ledley's agent, anyone know?

Ralph
16-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Who is Ledley's agent, anyone know?

David Baldwin at Base Soccer.

Same as Darcy Blake IIRC.

Jim Cannon
16-05-2015, 08:28 AM
David Baldwin at Base Soccer.

Same as Darcy Blake IIRC.

Guess Blake os no longer on his books then....

dilem
18-05-2015, 02:59 PM
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joe-ledley-could-make-sensational-9278380?
'Ledley has two years left on his contract, and Palace and his representatives have made it clear he wants to stay in the Premier League.'

Jim Cannon
18-05-2015, 03:54 PM
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joe-ledley-could-make-sensational-9278380?
'Ledley has two years left on his contract, and Palace and his representatives have made it clear he wants to stay in the Premier League.'

What a nothing story!

brooklynlou
18-05-2015, 03:54 PM
He is more likley a Pullis target

Agree that Jedinak is more a target than Ledley. Pulis tried to get Yacob to play that enforcer role in front of the back 4 but Yacob seems more a CM than a DM.

Stavros 69
18-05-2015, 08:00 PM
Even though I love Jedi and I thought Ledley had a terrible 1st half against Liverpool he came out and really did it in the 2nd and allowed Punch and Yannick the freedom to drive forward. We always look much better with him and more fluid.

Stellavista
19-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Even though I love Jedi and I thought Ledley had a terrible 1st half against Liverpool he came out and really did it in the 2nd and allowed Punch and Yannick the freedom to drive forward. We always look much better with him and more fluid.

We do. Ledley is also more versatile. He'd be a bigger loss than Jedi.

Penstone Eagle
19-05-2015, 05:34 PM

Agreed

Mitcham 74
20-05-2015, 06:30 AM
Agreed

Alex-G
20-05-2015, 04:08 PM
I think Pardew is a multi-dimensional coach, and you're right that he wants us to play more, especially at home. I support that, and maybe it'll mean we play without a defensive mid at home, or Mcarthur there. No problem. But away from home, and at home against top 10 sides Jedinak is CRUCIAL. The fact he can't pass for toffee (although I think his passing ability is exaggerated) is irrelevant for these games. There's a reason our away form is so good. That reason is Jedinak. He has shown us that he can make the difference when we are under the cosh.

There's no doubt there is a strong correlation between attacking football and Jedinak being less effective. But this idea that if we pass the ball and don't play Jedinak, we won't have to defend is silly. We may have to defend less, but we will be undone more and huff/puff as we pass it sideways for 60%. I've seen us have over 50% possession. By and large we've lost the games. Jedinak is crucial to the way we play for 29 of the games. For the other 9 we probably won't play with a DM which means we won't need Ledley either!

Ledley doesn't have incisive enough passing to make a difference in an attacking team. He's not got the pace to win the 50/50s. He is not the answer to us progressing. I'd happily let him go. Apologies to Gilesy and Dave. I like him but he won't take us to the next level. We will need better attacking mids than him, and we already have 2 defensive mids who are better.

I think Jedinak's inclusion being crucial was blown out of the water in January, February, March, and most of April/early May when we played top teams and accrued a considerable amount of points. Can't argue with him being an accomplished hatchet man in a defensive minded, bus parking side, but he cannot pass to save his life and Alan Pardew has already exposed the fact he no longer features on his automatic selection plan, and more often than not is included on his substitution roster. The way forward is not by constantly looking over your shoulder. Move on FFS.

TWELLSEagle
20-05-2015, 04:13 PM
The evidence suggest jedinak is no longer crucial but merely an option, a very good one in the right scenario. None of our Central midfielders are crucial, but my personal view is that McCarthur is closest to it. I think we may even see puncheon, Chamakh and one of McCarthur, Ledley, Jedi as an option next season. There's also Mutch who has a lot to offer.

Pistol Knight
20-05-2015, 04:21 PM
The evidence suggest jedinak is no longer crucial but merely an option, a very good one in the right scenario. None of our Central midfielders are crucial, but my personal view is that McCarthur is closest to it. I think we may even see puncheon, Chamakh and one of McCarthur, Ledley, Jedi as an option next season. There's also Mutch who has a lot to offer.

Its sad to say but Jedi is maybe surplus to our requirements now, the club/team has to evolve no matter who gets pushed out, sentiment means nothing in the PL i'm afraid

I love Jedi as well, we would not be where we are if he had never joined us, hes been a BEAST

maestro
20-05-2015, 04:35 PM
I had a look on the cardiff forum after some strange reason they reckon his missus wants to move back home.

carter
20-05-2015, 04:43 PM
I had a look on the cardiff forum after some strange reason they reckon his missus wants to move back home.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joe-ledley-could-make-sensational-9278380

could easily play at our club at this level for another 3 years

TWELLSEagle
20-05-2015, 06:29 PM
It's a nothing story, but like that time Cole said he wanted to end his career with us

bradpitt
20-05-2015, 07:17 PM
It's a nothing story, but like that time Cole said he wanted to end his career with us

There's still time...

Thefunkymonk
20-05-2015, 09:59 PM

His Mrs is why he moved to london (Wimbledon I believe). also isn't his Mrs from London!?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
20-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Really hope he stays. Very valuable player.

Stavros 69
21-05-2015, 07:47 AM
Yeah because he's going to give up 40% of his salary to move back to Cardiff.
Unlikely.

Jim Cannon
21-05-2015, 07:49 AM
Yeah because he's going to give up 40% of his salary to move back to Cardiff, and drop a division and play for an inferior club and manager. No chance.

EFA

CPFC_DAVE77
21-05-2015, 07:56 AM
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joe-ledley-could-make-sensational-9278380

could easily play at our club at this level for another 3 years

That is one of the strangest, most fabricated stories I have ever read.

What a complete disgrace.

I implore Carter to remove it so no one else manages to waste their time reading that nonsense and reduces further clicks to that God-awful 'news' outlet.

SeaEagle
21-05-2015, 08:49 AM
I rather like that we have strength in depth in midfield and can choose which 3 to go with based on the opposition.

McArthur, Ledley and Jedinak are all proven in the centre; Puncheon and Chamakh bring different strengths to the hole; while Lee and Mutch may prove to bring further depth in due course, though neither has shone to date.

McArthur is the one that I would definitely not want to lose from the first three. Though I like both, I think that a large enough offer would tempt us to sell and replace either of the other two.

zonin2000
21-05-2015, 09:37 AM
I rather like that we have strength in depth in midfield and can choose which 3 to go with based on the opposition.

McArthur, Ledley and Jedinak are all proven in the centre; Puncheon and Chamakh bring different strengths to the hole; while Lee and Mutch may prove to bring further depth in due course, though neither has shone to date.

McArthur is the one that I would definitely not want to lose from the first three. Though I like both, I think that a large enough offer would tempt us to sell and replace either of the other two.

We also have (the option of keeping) Guedioura.

Eaglefoz
21-05-2015, 10:35 AM
I think Jedinak's inclusion being crucial was blown out of the water in January, February, March, and most of April/early May when we played top teams and accrued a considerable amount of points. Can't argue with him being an accomplished hatchet man in a defensive minded, bus parking side, but he cannot pass to save his life and Alan Pardew has already exposed the fact he no longer features on his automatic selection plan, and more often than not is included on his substitution roster. The way forward is not by constantly looking over your shoulder. Move on FFS.

Where does moving on Glen come into this discussion !

Woosie
21-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Would expect Jedinak to be the DM to leave this summer if one of them does tbh. Don't think Ledley's going anywhere, despite Pulis' reputed interest. I'm sure he has his price, but it's going to be quite high I suspect.

GB2506
21-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Would expect Jedinak to be the DM to leave this summer if one of them does tbh. Don't think Ledley's going anywhere, despite Pulis' reputed interest. I'm sure he has his price, but it's going to be quite high I suspect.

Agree with this.

Its probably the last chance for us to get a very decent fee for him and I just dont see him fitting in next season. Pardew has talked about getting in another ball playing Centre Midfielder, someone of Puncheons ability. If that happens then Jedinak is behind Mcarthur, Ledley and the new signing in the pecking order. Add Mutch and Puncheon to the CM equation and he's not really getting a look in. Will Jedi be happy with that?

I think we will cash in on him. A year ago the thought of that would be terrible but the form we have showed since the turn of the year proves we have moved on and developed as a team.

Jay_eagle
21-05-2015, 05:39 PM

Cabaye :rolleyes: hahahahaha

Timbo
21-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Is it ok to want both of them to stay?

brooklynlou
21-05-2015, 06:17 PM

Not our call but the player's.

Under Pulis we played primarily with a DM behind the two CM's. Under Pardew we play with a AM in front of the two CM's. I would love the luxury of being able to pick from Jedinak or Puncheon depending on the game situation, but I don't know how thrilled Jedi would be over that scenario.

Eagle's Away
21-05-2015, 06:18 PM

I am with you Timbo. I recognise we have moved on from the defensive football of only one season ago but there will always be occasions when we are playing a big or aggressive team, or we are being overrun in midfield and the Jedi is yer man for that sort of thing. It probably means starting on the bench a lot and I am not sure if he will be happy with that.
There is also the whole question of injuries and suspensions. We have been relatively lucky with both this year but they can and do happen and we could look very bare if Mac & ledley were both out.

Pistol Knight
21-05-2015, 06:26 PM
I am with you Timbo. I recognise we have moved on from the defensive football of only one season ago but there will always be occasions when we are playing a big or aggressive team, or we are being overrun in midfield and the Jedi is yer man for that sort of thing. It probably means starting on the bench a lot and I am not sure if he will be happy with that.
There is also the whole question of injuries and suspensions. We have been relatively lucky with both this year but they can and do happen and we could look very bare if Mac & ledley were both out.

There are only 1 (2 next season) the 1 is Stoke (although they are trying to get away from that tag and the new one will be WBA (if Pullis stays) I'm not so sure we need a 'bully' anymore

Naboo
21-05-2015, 06:45 PM
Not our call but the player's.

Under Pulis we played primarily with a DM behind the two CM's. Under Pardew we play with a AM in front of the two CM's. I would love the luxury of being able to pick from Jedinak or Puncheon depending on the game situation, but I don't know how thrilled Jedi would be over that scenario.

No we didnt, chamakh played as our AM last season. Jedinak has been replaced by Mccarthur in the side who offers more on the ball and more energy. I still think there is a role for Jedinak in the side though, especially away from home.

red&blue_moomin
22-05-2015, 10:43 AM
No we didnt, chamakh played as our AM last season. Jedinak has been replaced by Mccarthur in the side who offers more on the ball and more energy. I still think there is a role for Jedinak in the side though, especially away from home.

I think people are getting carried away. It is highly likely that Pards will bring another midfielder in, I'm expecting a forward out, two in, one AM and one MF. I think that if pushed out of Jedi and Ledly Pards would let Ledley go. He's made noises about assesing Ledleys and Mariappias performances and how they react to different things and he's played Ledley in different places and had him do different things. To me that means he sees him as the 'utility' midfielder.

For me I'm expecting Pards to rotate/combine Mutch and Jedi for those tricky away ties when we are under the cosh or to stop other teams midfields from playing.

Stavros 69
22-05-2015, 11:21 AM
I have no idea why we would let any of our core 3 go.
We need all of them and they all offer something different.
Also to replace them would cost alot more.

Jedi - can play as a Holder all by himself, let the full backs push up and he sits at the top of the CB's. But a poor passer and can make a rash decision.
Ledley - Box to box, closes down, moves the ball well, can play anywhere inc the wing/LB if we need him to. Has decent pace and engine. Doesn’t score enough.
Jimmy Mac - The best at getting forward, really nips at attackers and breaks up play. Not sure if he can do the holding role all alone, but feels a blend of the above with good feet.

Why would we want to get rid of anyone?
They all offer something different and can add.

None of them will play in the Punch/Chammers role.

What we are lacking is a Jonjo type player that can play next to a Jedi and do it all. A proper box to box player who creates and scores.
That's what i expect to bring in with a striker and some comp for our wingers.
Let's say we let Jedi or Ledley go to West Brom to play alongside Fletcher, we would make them a far better side and i don’t see the point for a max of £5m, it's not worth it.

El Aguila
22-05-2015, 11:43 AM

I'm not sure we've been all that lucky. Jedinak has missed about three months, Ledley's been carrying an injury for a while, and we had quite a lot of players injured at different points in the season. Now last season, we were lucky.

Crunchie
22-05-2015, 01:08 PM
I have no idea why we would let any of our core 3 go.
We need all of them and they all offer something different.
Also to replace them would cost alot more.

Jedi - can play as a Holder all by himself, let the full backs push up and he sits at the top of the CB's. But a poor passer and can make a rash decision.
Ledley - Box to box, closes down, moves the ball well, can play anywhere inc the wing/LB if we need him to. Has decent pace and engine. Doesn’t score enough.
Jimmy Mac - The best at getting forward, really nips at attackers and breaks up play. Not sure if he can do the holding role all alone, but feels a blend of the above with good feet.

Why would we want to get rid of anyone?
They all offer something different and can add.

None of them will play in the Punch/Chammers role.

What we are lacking is a Jonjo type player that can play next to a Jedi and do it all. A proper box to box player who creates and scores.
That's what i expect to bring in with a striker and some comp for our wingers.
Let's say we let Jedi or Ledley go to West Brom to play alongside Fletcher, we would make them a far better side and i don’t see the point for a max of £5m, it's not worth it.

Agree totally. You need 3 good CM's for the whole of the season, due to suspensions, injuries and competition is good.

Everyone wants 4 Full Backs, 4 wingers, 3 or 4 strikers, we have 3 or 4 AM (in Lee, Mutch, Puncheon, Chamakh), and need at least another CB minimum, to make that 3 maybe 2 extra CB's (4 in total). why we only need 2 CM's is beyond me.

Jim Cannon
22-05-2015, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure we've been all that lucky. Jedinak has missed about three months, Ledley's been carrying an injury for a while, and we had quite a lot of players injured at different points in the season. Now last season, we were lucky.

Last season we were lucky with injuries as you say, if we had not been, things could have ended very differently.

Martin H
10-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Refreshing to see a Palace player state unequivocally that he is committed to being a Palace player and that is where he wants to be. Can't think of many times where that has either happened and been reported. Nice one Joe and the journalist :)

DARZET EAGLE
10-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Refreshing to see a Palace player state unequivocally that he is committed to being a Palace player and that is where he wants to be. Can't think of many times where that has either happened and been reported. Nice one Joe and the journalist :)

Very refreshing to see this, good man Joe.

danpalace07
10-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Very refreshing to see this, good man Joe.

Bloody love Joe. Good to see a player ready and willing to fight for his place

Jon_C-Pal
10-06-2015, 02:44 PM
Has he done an interview? Whereabouts is it?

evvo111
10-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Has he done an interview? Whereabouts is it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3117604/Wales-duo-Joe-Ledley-Wayne-Hennessey-want-stay-fight-team-place-Crystal-Palace.html

SJ'sLoveMonkey
10-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Top man Joe Ledley

Duffle Coat
10-06-2015, 03:11 PM
That's great news. Joe is excellent. Nice to see Hennessy also put Palace first:lux:

TouchyAndalou
13-06-2015, 11:09 AM
I'm a fan of Ledley, but his particular skill set would be much, much easier to replace than Jedi's.

mb23
13-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Top man Ledley (and of course, The Hen). These are the kinds of players we need to keep hold of to build a solid Prem team.

Also, finding it very interesting how both Ledley and Hennessey have both publicly rejected rumours to go back to Pulis (the man who bought them both to Palace). Obviously neither are first names on the team sheet, but they are both committed to the Palace 'project'. Could they also be enjoying life at the Palace much more now then they were under TP?

Jon_C-Pal
13-06-2015, 01:05 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3117604/Wales-duo-Joe-Ledley-Wayne-Hennessey-want-stay-fight-team-place-Crystal-Palace.html

Nice one, thanks.

SamuelCPFC
13-06-2015, 04:21 PM
We'd be complete nuts to sell either Ledley or McArthur. Both are quality midfielders. Even if we do somehow sign Cabaye I wouldn't want to see either of them go as you need strength in depth and competition for places in this league.

Eastsussex
13-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Think we will add to Jedi McArthur and joled
...we require a skillfull ballplaying goalscoring midfielder.....has caybaye been mentioned anywhere????...��

DARZET EAGLE
13-06-2015, 09:56 PM
Think we will add to Jedi McArthur and joled
...we require a skillfull ballplaying goalscoring midfielder.....has caybaye been mentioned anywhere????...��

Who?:D

Worksop Palace
14-06-2015, 08:37 AM
I'm a fan of Ledley, but his particular skill set would be much, much easier to replace than Jedi's.

No way

Chief Brody
14-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Hope Ledley stays but I expect him to run down his contract as he did at Cardiff and Celtic, looking for an attractive signing-on fee.

Madden
14-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Hope Ledley stays but I expect him to run down his contract as he did at Cardiff and Celtic, looking for an attractive signing-on fee.
He has 2 years on his contract so it's not an issue for another 12 months!

Chief Brody
14-06-2015, 10:30 AM
Sure. I give it 12 months and he'll be off. Hope I'm wrong.

sheepy
14-06-2015, 10:42 AM

And if he did I wouldn't have a problem with it. The guys given us a year and a half of fantastic service. If he keeps his standard up I've no problem with him then looking for another payday.

Definitely one of those signings that adds to the character of the squad.

Jim Cannon
14-06-2015, 10:48 AM
And if he did I wouldn't have a problem with it. The guys given us a year and a half of fantastic service. If he keeps his standard up I've no problem with him then looking for another payday.

Agree. I think we will have to get used to losing a player on a Bosman from time to time.

Chief Brody
14-06-2015, 10:54 AM
I'd rather he stay. As you say, he adds to the squad.

Stavros 69
14-06-2015, 11:47 AM
He's also a leader

danpalace07
14-06-2015, 12:17 PM
We'd be nuts to sell Joe

Kuqi32
14-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Was carrying an injury for most of the end of the season, he'll still be here.

TouchyAndalou
16-06-2015, 11:15 AM
No way

Ledley's a good player, but what he offers us a number of other central midfielders can do. I mean, what can he do that at least one or two central players on practically every Premier League team can't do to a similar level? Jedinak is different in that he's more of a "specialised" player. Overall he's not as rounded a player as Ledley, but his strengths are hard to replicate. Who else could be at the very top of the league in tackles, interceptions and aerial battles won over the course of the season?

At any rate, I'm not arguing who is the better player or who the team performs better with in the lineup; I'm merely stating that they offer us different attributes, and Jedi's are more difficult to replace.

ANTEAGLE
16-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Why can't we keep both of them?!

Dave
16-06-2015, 11:26 AM

bang on the money

Stellavista
16-06-2015, 02:16 PM
15 million for Ledley, plus another 2m for the beard. Epic growth.

Alex-G
16-06-2015, 04:00 PM
When assessing a team's overall performance, it's often the player who's been pretty much an ever present, but transparent member of the squad who just does a solid & reliable job that suddenly the fans realise has become part of the back bone and a rock in the side. In our case, that's Joe Ledley without a doubt.