PDA

View Full Version : Sign A Creative Midfielder

cpfcben
24-08-2002, 11:28 PM
we desperately need a creative midfielder, out of the five players in midfield today i would not class any off them as offensive minded players.
granville derry butterfield aki flemming

we should be looking to sign someone in the paul merson type category, someone who is likely to score and create goals, hungry for suceess and someone that gives a toss!

the only other player who i belive could fit into that team above is gray.
black is a complete waste of space (i can't for the life of me work out what so many fans see in his performances to get exxcited about every time he comes on!!). and tf doesn't seem to like rubins.
we could have played all night today and not scored,
the team is becoming so boring to watch i don't think the goalie had one shot to save in the whole goal, and our most likley threat was popovic from free kicks and corners

sign a creativie midfielder otherwise we are goona struggle to score any goals this season from open play

lees eagles
25-08-2002, 12:02 AM
We need a creative outlet, because today Freedman was the only one providing this!!!!!!

Two-Tone
25-08-2002, 12:54 AM
I do agree here. I hope that when Smithy comes back he will replease Fleming in RWB because he will give us more attacking options than old Curtis will. Also Gray would be good on the left, altough I can't see Francis favouring him in place of Granville. Perhaps when Gray and Smith do return he will go back to 4-4-2 - with Smith and Gray on the wings.

I think that might eradicate some of our creative ineptitude that we have right now by playing the current quintet across the middle. In a 3-5-2 formation, you do need a creative influence, whereas you can get away without one better in a 4 if you use attacking wingers.

Nevertheless, it is about bloody time we signed somoen who can see a pass - an unknown gem like Bernarbia would do fine thank you very much.

zonin2000
25-08-2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Two-Tone
an unknown gem like Bernarbia would do fine thank you very much.

Oh come on he was not unknown!

pete eagle
25-08-2002, 01:29 AM
Benarbia unknown gem - you're having a laugh aren't you.

Julian Gray behind the front two would do very nicely thank you very much

Jimbo ?
25-08-2002, 01:38 AM
Koumas......... just thought it was atleast a week since we last mentioned him!!!

Dark Star
25-08-2002, 03:43 AM
Derek McInnes (WBA)ran the game against us a year or two ago, I'd say he was an unknown. He's probably more of a Derry type than a Merson though. We could have Platini in midfield at the moment but if the rest of the team don't know what they're doing he aint going to make much difference(well, a little bit maybe:D )

sexyrazor
25-08-2002, 12:43 PM
After yesterdays performance maybe Dennis Wise wasn't such a bad idea. (although he is stuck at Leicester now!)

We all know Gazza'll be the next name we'll be linked to...it's inevitable!

pedro
25-08-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle
Benarbia unknown gem - you're having a laugh aren't you.

Julian Gray behind the front two would do very nicely thank you very much

And you are being serious are you? Get real, he set a hatful of goals up last year didn't he!!!

Jimbo ?
25-08-2002, 02:07 PM
Tommy Black - I thought that was 1of his positions

sexyrazor
25-08-2002, 02:15 PM
Is Bernabia the one that plays for Man City? If it's the one i'm thinking of he is a fantastic player. Why on earth would he want to come to Palace???

Two-Tone
25-08-2002, 02:45 PM
Ok, just want to clarify.

I was not suggesting the Bernarbia would want to come to Palace, I was suggesting that when Man City got him, it was on a Bossman, and he was not particularly well known, and yet he set the first division alight last year, and apparently dominated the game against Newcastle yesterday. Wolves have Colin Cameron, someone who is not so well known (and by that I mean not a Merson, or a Gazza), but can be brilliant in this division. Palace lack that sort of player, someone like Bernarbia, who has no right playing in this league. It would be nice if we could find a similar player.

Men At Work
25-08-2002, 02:59 PM
Palace lack that sort of player, someone like Bernarbia, who has no right playing in this league. It would be nice if we could find a similar player.

We had an Italian bloke a few years ago...

The Wise Eagle
25-08-2002, 03:06 PM
The last time i suggested we need a Playmaker. I was told that aki, thomson and company can do the job.

WorthingEagle
25-08-2002, 03:07 PM
My ideal signing would be someone like Craig Hignett. Scores 10-15 goals a season from midfield, sets up as many, generally makes things happen, a class above in Division One and at home in the Premiership.

RDSdaEAGLE
25-08-2002, 03:12 PM
We need a creative midfielder, true...but the most important thing that the club needs at the moment is someone who, when in an attacking position, can score.

There have been numerous occasions where we've had a chance, but no player has been willing to take it...

JamieBcpfc
25-08-2002, 03:38 PM
that ipswich player darren ambrose or even jay botheroyd lots of teams are struggling financily why dont we take advantage of that weve still got money from the clint deal surely

BUNGLE
25-08-2002, 03:44 PM
Phillip Mulryne would be my choice, Craig Hignett is a good call, we also should have given Eoin Jess a go considering his on s free. But once we get Gray back there won't be any need for a creatvie player in the middle.

Two-Tone
25-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Phil Mulryne is quite tasty, and Craig hignett would not be half bad - you are right, it is not just the creativity we need, it is someone who can get forward and support the attack.

cpfcben
25-08-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?
Tommy Black - I thought that was 1of his positions

tommy black is a complete waste of space

craig hignett does sound good though

sexyrazor
25-08-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by cpfcben

tommy black is a complete waste of space

A harsh statement!

Levski
26-08-2002, 03:55 AM
How old is John Moncur? Could do a job for us for a year, maybe? Good passer of the ball, can be creative, and likes to get stuck in. (from what I've seen anyway). And he's not a regular for W Ham, so he might not mind dropping a division to get regular football.

Although I've heard he's a rather bizarre bloke and a bit of a flamboyant character, so I doubt Francis would want him.

We desperately need a creative midfielder, I agree. Either that, or we need to change the formation and play with wingers.

Levski
26-08-2002, 04:05 AM
Oh dear. He's 36. Probably past it.

Ideally we need someone young who can be creative, and will develop along with the team. Can't think of anyone who fits the description.

pete eagle
26-08-2002, 04:07 AM
Ok, just want to clarify.

I was not suggesting the Bernarbia would want to come to Palace, I was suggesting that when Man City got him, it was on a Bossman, and he was not particularly well known, and yet he set the first division alight last year, and apparently dominated the game against Newcastle yesterday. Wolves have Colin Cameron, someone who is not so well known (and by that I mean not a Merson, or a Gazza), but can be brilliant in this division. Palace lack that sort of player, someone like Bernarbia, who has no right playing in this league. It would be nice if we could find a similar player.

I am still reeling from the fact that you think Benarbia was unknown, i thought everyone knew who Ali Benarbia was. Or maybe it's just me:confused:

loose cannon
26-08-2002, 04:14 AM
Right - I don't give a w@nk anymore. Personally I gbive all my support to Trev. I know this will be contentious, but feck it. Let's get what we can for Mullins. At the end of the day, we all know he is a great player, but what the feck is he gonna do for us?? Let's flogg him - and get a few less un-predictable players for his price.

pete eagle
26-08-2002, 04:19 AM
can someone actually suggest someone who we can realistically bring to the club who fits into the creative midfielder mould? I can't think of anyone

cappuccinoeagle
26-08-2002, 04:32 AM
What about Alan Nielson of Watford,scores goals and Watford were trying to offload him last year.

ozeagle
26-08-2002, 04:39 AM
can someone actually suggest someone who we can realistically bring to the club who fits into the creative midfielder mould? I can't think of anyone

this is what's wrong with the club, we aren't serious enough.
there must be a myriad of more talented rihilahti's around europe...
get 5 youngsters, we're bound to get 3 better than our current set up !

jason koumas for 2.4 would be good, alas we spent that on a big , injured lug !

JamieBcpfc
26-08-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Levski
How old is John Moncur? Could do a job for us for a year, maybe? Good passer of the ball, can be creative, and likes to get stuck in. (from what I've seen anyway). And he's not a regular for W Ham, so he might not mind dropping a division to get regular football.

Although I've heard he's a rather bizarre bloke and a bit of a flamboyant character, so I doubt Francis would want him.

We desperately need a creative midfielder, I agree. Either that, or we need to change the formation and play with wingers.

nooooooo not moncur I watch him at west ham games every home game
and 1.hes crap
2.he cant go a couple of minutes without gettig booked

how about wimbledons jobi mcanuff maybe hes lonely at wimbledon

Two-Tone
26-08-2002, 02:16 PM

I am still reeling from the fact that you think Benarbia was unknown, i thought everyone knew who Ali Benarbia was. Or maybe it's just me:confused:

To be honest, I did not know a great deal about him, so I can only tell you about the surprise I got when I saw how good he was. I guess my point is that, he was not well knwon enought to be snatched up on a free from PSG by a premier club, and so it was a cracking bit of business from Man City. All about scouting I guess.

Walrus
26-08-2002, 02:54 PM

That's because anyone who shines early enough is snaffled up into the youth academies of the big prem clubs. OR, in Jermaine Pennant's case, his family gets a nice bung and his small club (Notts County) get an offer they can't refuse.

As someone else said, it IS all abut scouting. Shame that takes time, and time is not something many Palace supporters are prepared to give the team.

Bruce-S
27-08-2002, 06:31 AM
HA! I hear Jovan Kirovski from the Prem might be available for the right price! Next CP will be looking for a central defender to replace Berhalter.

glaziers fan
27-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by The Wise Eagle
The last time i suggested we need a Playmaker. I was told that aki, thomson and company can do the job.

I think we need to clarify things. Aki is a destroyer. He breaks play up and is a nuisance to the other team in central-midfield. Thomson is not good enough.

Derry is the playmaker! He gets us going in the middle of the park. But i still think we need a creative midfielder in the team! What a shame that Black, Rubins, Routledge are sitting in the reserves and Gray is injured. However, I would say Julian cannot play in the 'hole' because despite his skills and trickery he does not possess the passing range. Tommy would be the best bet in the hole because he is strong, can pass, tackle, shoot and he has skills. Routledge and Rubins are possibilities and definitley technically good enough. Maybe they are too lightweight though? Still, maybe Routledge could do a job on the right wing?

glaziers fan
27-08-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
We need a creative midfielder, true...but the most important thing that the club needs at the moment is someone who, when in an attacking position, can score.

There have been numerous occasions where we've had a chance, but no player has been willing to take it...

Maybe we are missing that natural goalscorer. Where is Clinton again?! I cannot believe there was not more dissent against SJ and TF for selling him!

CHERRY TREE BRB
27-08-2002, 05:21 PM
Whats the point of buying a creative midfielder, they will only be there to watch the ball go over their head with the toilet long ball style we seem to have adopted of late !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jordan's Jacket
27-08-2002, 05:25 PM
I'm still perplexed as to why Rubins isn't even on the bench. He may not be a playmaker, but he will take people on. We need someone who is capable of beating a man (in which case TF is the man ;) )

glaziers fan
27-08-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by cappuccinoeagle
What about Alan Nielson of Watford,scores goals and Watford were trying to offload him last year. \

No thank-you!!! Hignett and McAnuff were good calls but we already have 4 high quality creative players at the club! The problem doesnt rest with the personnel. It's the stupid manager.... AGAIN!!!

PoolKing
27-08-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Jordan's Jacket
I'm still perplexed as to why Rubins isn't even on the bench. He may not be a playmaker, but he will take people on. We need someone who is capable of beating a man

Totally agree! It just seems that Francis won't give him a chance because it would possibly mean dropping one of his own signings.

Rubins finished off last season well against Preston backed-up by good performances in the reserves. He played well in the friendlies, looking one of the best against Carshalton and scoring against Barnet. Why was he just suddenly dropped starting from the friendly vs Spurs?

It seems to me that TF is just reluctant to use players that he didn't sign unless he has to (e.g Freedman, Clarke). Why does he persist with the awful Adebola when Kabba scores for fun in the reserves and saved us against Preston?

Justy C
27-08-2002, 05:45 PM
That 2nd half against Preston at the end of last season was what we wanted to see from Rubins - he was superb. Other than that, in nearly 2 years, his only other highlights have been 2 fantastic goals. Generally he looks like he just doesn't want to know and can't be bothered. I wondered if he might get a chance this season (seeing how he was playing pre-season) but you're right, Trev doesn't seem to rate him. And neither did Steve Bruce and towards the end of his reign, Alan Smith. And remember that Steve Kember called him 'a waste of space' (or something like that) at a fans forum last year. So theres 4 people there who have been willing to give him a chance but he hasn't take it. If he can't be bothered and hasn't got the desire, let him go.

As for the creative signing we all crave for, Hignett was a good shout (don't know if he'd come to us, wages etc) but does anyone know anything about Steve Sidwell from Arsenal? Spent a long time at Brentford on loan last season and received good press.

Streatham man
27-08-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by PoolKing

Totally agree! It just seems that Francis won't give him a chance because it would possibly mean dropping one of his own signings.

Rubins finished off last season well against Preston backed-up by good performances in the reserves. He played well in the friendlies, looking one of the best against Carshalton and scoring against Barnet. Why was he just suddenly dropped starting from the friendly vs Spurs?

It seems to me that TF is just reluctant to use players that he didn't sign unless he has to (e.g Freedman, Clarke). Why does he persist with the awful Adebola when Kabba scores for fun in the reserves and saved us against Preston?

Absolutely right. Play Rubins!

elgin eagle
27-08-2002, 06:53 PM
This is only my humble opinion, but I think we already have the players in the squad to do the job. The problem is that they are 1) not played in the right positions, 2) not played at all, 3) not played if TF didn't sign them.

TF needs to sit down with the players one by one, take out a piece of paper, ask them in which position they prefer playing, and write down their answers and then take note.

Remember Wolves at Selhurst last year? They ran us ragged, using pace through the middle and the flanks. In Johnson, Rubins and Black we have players that can do this, and with Freedman or Adebola there to feed on the spoils, goals will again come easily. I admit this formation will probably work better away from home, but if we are looking to improve on displays like coventry, then surely using pace is worth a try. At Selhurst, if teams come to sit, the first goal is crucial if it is to work.
Riihilahti or Thompson come to mind as the natural spoiler, while the return of Symons and Smith cannot come quick enough to improve our weak defence. Popovic and Berhalter look like defenders, but post-administration, this area has been overlooked.
Kolinko or Clarke can do the job in goal at this level.

I think we need an attacking team and formation to get the fans behind Francis, but he needs to get the players to play for him first. I hope he gets it right as he seems to be genuinely trying his best, but there are some good players and teams in this division, and Palace need to be at their best to beat all of them and go up.