PDA

View Full Version : Colin Healy

Walrus
28-08-2002, 10:56 PM
Young up and coming quality central midfielder has turned down a new contract at Celtic. The teletext story says he wants regular first team football.

Surely we can offer him that ?

Worth a cheeky bid methinks.

Jaffa
28-08-2002, 11:11 PM
Good call, should be able to get him for just shy of a million.

If it meant sacrificing Mullins for £2.2m to Birmingham, then all in favour say aye.

Aye.

BVB Bob
28-08-2002, 11:14 PM
I'd have him. Would he come to Palace though?

Jaffa
28-08-2002, 11:25 PM
He was on loan at Preston last season so I think it may be a possibility.

Streatham man
28-08-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa
Good call, should be able to get him for just shy of a million.

If it meant sacrificing Mullins for £2.2m to Birmingham, then all in favour say aye.

Aye.

Nay.

Jimbo ?
29-08-2002, 01:18 AM
think he would be going to a premier club! Not in exchange for mullins!! I would have him no question - not likely though!!

What?
29-08-2002, 01:24 AM
One Word, Warm!

pedro
29-08-2002, 02:05 AM
I thought he was at Coventry?

Officer Dibble
29-08-2002, 02:27 AM
He was at Coventry. That's a different Healy at Preston.
Wasn't he the 'reserve' who missed out on replacing Keane in the N.Ireland squad after Keane proved what a jerk he is ?

kolinkins
29-08-2002, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Officer Dibble
He was at Coventry. That's a different Healy at Preston.
Wasn't he the 'reserve' who missed out on replacing Keane in the N.Ireland squad after Keane proved what a jerk he is ?

no - he was the reserve who missed out repalcing keane in the REPUBLIC OF IRELAND squad when Keane proved what a jerk he is.

pete eagle
29-08-2002, 03:23 AM
Healy's a good quality player but i think he'll be snapped up by someone like Southampton,Birmingham - middle of the road premier where he'll get a lot of highest level football

hughff
29-08-2002, 04:15 AM
Still, we can have a crack, can't we? Please. Please.

Johnny Eagle
29-08-2002, 03:41 PM
I mentioned Healy a while back. He's a very good player – the best by miles at Cov last season. Scores goals too. Snap him up Trev!

sydnsteve
29-08-2002, 04:21 PM
not for Mullins. I thought he showed a couple of times against Leicester what he is capable of doing when bringing the ball forward from midfield, and also how low his confidence is when he shot at the end of a run. He must be played as a midfielder allowed to go forward.

SHiggins
29-08-2002, 10:59 PM
Only seen him a couple of times on TV but seems ideal, young and useful going forward - rather him than Wise for me.

hellsbells
29-08-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle
Healy's a good quality player but i think he'll be snapped up by someone like Southampton,Birmingham - middle of the road premier where he'll get a lot of highest level football

I agree but it's always worth a try!

HappyLarry
30-08-2002, 01:52 PM
Friday, August 30, 2002
Reid set to seal double striker swoop
By Colin Young

Peter Reid's long search for a new striker will end with a vengeance today when he adds two new forwards to his squad.
Rangers' Tore Andre Flo and Marcus Stewart of Ipswich are expected to sign today after completing medicals and should join Sunderland ahead of Manchester United's visit to the Stadium of Light tomorrow.

It is believed former Chelsea striker Flo would prefer a move back to London but will meet Reid after receiving a pay-off from Rangers to move south.

The addition of the strikers - with Celtic's Colin Healy also still a target for the Sunderland manager before tomorrow's transfer deadline passes - ends months of searching for Reid, who clinched his side's first Premiership win of the season at Leeds on Wednesday.

Flo will join in a £7million deal, less than 18 months after joining Rangers for a record £12m.

The 29-year-old Norway international, who scored 17 League goals for the Scottish Premier League runnersup last season, became Reid's No.1 target after he failed to persuade Republic of Ireland star Robbie Keane to quit Leeds for Wearside.

And Ipswich boss George Burley has reluctantly agreed to part company with 29-year-old Stewart after failing to offload captain Matt Holland to Aston Villa and defender Hermann Hreidarsson to West Bromwich Albion to help clear the club's debts.

Stewart, who cost £2.75m from Huddersfield more than two years ago, managed just six goals in 26 Premiership appearances last season after struggling with a series of injuries, including a broken jaw. However, the Bristol-born striker scored 19 goals in his first season in the top flight.

But giant Nantes striker Pierre-Yves Andre, who is in the Niall Quinn mould, will not be signing despite a £3m transfer being set up. Andre was going to be allowed to move by his club on a loan basis with a view to a permanent transfer, but the player did not want to take that chance.

Sunderland have backed Reid with cash and, while Andre carries a transfer fee, there would only be a small initial outlay for a loan fee that will hardly damage their transfer treasure chest.

The Sunderland boss is also now close to clinching a £1.5m deal with Celtic for Ireland midfielder Healy, who is out of the first team at Parkhead.

CPFC Cheerleader Observer
30-08-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by HappyLarry
Friday, August 30, 2002
Reid set to seal double striker swoop
By Colin Young

Peter Reid's long search for a new striker will end with a vengeance today when he adds two new forwards to his squad.
Rangers' Tore Andre Flo and Marcus Stewart of Ipswich are expected to sign today after completing medicals and should join Sunderland ahead of Manchester United's visit to the Stadium of Light tomorrow.

It is believed former Chelsea striker Flo would prefer a move back to London but will meet Reid after receiving a pay-off from Rangers to move south.

The addition of the strikers - with Celtic's Colin Healy also still a target for the Sunderland manager before tomorrow's transfer deadline passes - ends months of searching for Reid, who clinched his side's first Premiership win of the season at Leeds on Wednesday.

Flo will join in a £7million deal, less than 18 months after joining Rangers for a record £12m.

The 29-year-old Norway international, who scored 17 League goals for the Scottish Premier League runnersup last season, became Reid's No.1 target after he failed to persuade Republic of Ireland star Robbie Keane to quit Leeds for Wearside.

And Ipswich boss George Burley has reluctantly agreed to part company with 29-year-old Stewart after failing to offload captain Matt Holland to Aston Villa and defender Hermann Hreidarsson to West Bromwich Albion to help clear the club's debts.

Stewart, who cost £2.75m from Huddersfield more than two years ago, managed just six goals in 26 Premiership appearances last season after struggling with a series of injuries, including a broken jaw. However, the Bristol-born striker scored 19 goals in his first season in the top flight.

But giant Nantes striker Pierre-Yves Andre, who is in the Niall Quinn mould, will not be signing despite a £3m transfer being set up. Andre was going to be allowed to move by his club on a loan basis with a view to a permanent transfer, but the player did not want to take that chance.

Sunderland have backed Reid with cash and, while Andre carries a transfer fee, there would only be a small initial outlay for a loan fee that will hardly damage their transfer treasure chest.

The Sunderland boss is also now close to clinching a £1.5m deal with Celtic for Ireland midfielder Healy, who is out of the first team at Parkhead.

Oh well, I guess thats another one we lost out on!

Roland Butter
31-08-2002, 02:45 AM

Good to see your getting your facts right again Jaffa :rolleyes:

The Healy your thinking about is a small forward signed from Man Ure almost 2 years a go for 1.5m

Never seen this healy play, so i don't know.

Does anyone know if the transfer window is still being applied to nationwide clubs?

Walrus
31-08-2002, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by CPFC Cheerleader Observer

Oh well, I guess thats another one we lost out on!

Not sure yet. Announcements have been made about Flo and Stewart signing, but not Healy.

If they've got one Flo, and get another Flo that would be snap. I wouldn't say no to a milkshake....

Name that cartoon.

Roland Butter
31-08-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Walrus

Not sure yet. Announcements have been made about Flo and Stewart signing, but not Healy.

If they've got one Flo, and get another Flo that would be snap. I wouldn't say no to a milkshake....

Name that cartoon.

Bod?

Walrus
01-09-2002, 12:38 AM
Scores !

They don't make 'em like that anymore :p

And Bod could do a better job up front for us than what we've seen so far this year :moo:

Roland Butter
01-09-2002, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Walrus
Scores !

They don't make 'em like that anymore :p

And Bod could do a better job up front for us than what we've seen so far this year :moo:

Aunt flo as manager :p

Sir.S.C Remembered
03-09-2002, 12:36 AM
I hate it when people say things like sell mullins to buy him! What a risk, he is TOTALLY unproven! anyway such players usually get a chance to fail at a prem club lower in the league one or twice before they are shipped of to a divie 1 team (like Wolves)

Walrus
03-09-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
I hate it when people say things like sell mullins to buy him! What a risk, he is TOTALLY unproven! anyway such players usually get a chance to fail at a prem club lower in the league one or twice before they are shipped of to a divie 1 team (like Wolves)

I'm sure anyone thinking of buying Hayden is probably thinking along the same lines SC.

GARYP
07-09-2002, 02:36 PM
HE WAS ON LOAN AT NORWICH LAST SEASON PLAYED IN PLAY OFF FINAL

Dobbo
26-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Evening Standard says he's on trial with us for two weeks with a view to signing - is he any good ?

bern5161
26-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Bit like Hughsey only younger. Worth a punt imo.

Chris K
26-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Dobbo
Evening Standard says he's on trial with us for two weeks with a view to signing - is he any good ?

more info in the 'triple signing' thread :p

One Step Down
26-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Strikes me as a great deal. Potentially huge upside; absolutely no downside.

FrankieBoy
26-01-2006, 03:55 PM
So he's a bit one-sided then ?

Shoreditch CPFC
26-01-2006, 06:11 PM
According to wholethedougin he's signed for us

Beanie
27-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Dobbo
Anybody see the problem here?

Do the Sub standard know when the transfer window ends? Or has it simply taken them most of the two weeks trial to find out about it?

kolinkins
27-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Free agent - transfer window doesnt apply

Bens Jamin
27-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Sign him, sounds like he can do a very good job for us!!!

Lords Eagle
27-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Farewell to another great white hope at Celtic Park. Good enough to be picked for his country, not good enough for Celtic. It would be a conundrum if you hadn't seen him play. Really the question must be - How does he get a game for Ireland?

Healy has had 4 years of, admittedly sporadic, first team football, but never established himself.

Dr. Venglos gave him his debut toward the end of his season at the helm, and Healy actually looked OK. He was eager and could certainly tackle. The rest was just rough edges.

Barnes arrived, and Healy was back in the reserves, although curiously Dalglish played him in his first game in charge after his protege had been shown the door. Indeed he even got his first goal that day (against Rab Douglas no less).

O'Neill seemed to take to him at first. He featured regularly in 2000-01, and picked up a League Cup winners medal. But he never really seemed to develop.

His first touch was dodgy, he wasn't the quickest, and he didn't really possess a 'killer' pass. Any comparisons with Roy Keane begin and end with their shared place of birth.

Last season there was a press campaign to have him in the first team, but O'Neill seemed more interested in getting him out the door. I'll leave it to you to decide why. The pub fonts of all knowledge have already had their say.

After loan spells with just about any team you care to mention he's joined Mick McCarthy at Sunderland. We wish him all the best.

sydnsteve
27-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Ringing endorsement, that!

Beanie
27-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
Free agent - transfer window doesnt apply
thought he was at Sunderland and leaving on a free, but perhaps not.

Daddy Long
27-01-2006, 02:01 PM
He's been injured on and off his whole career. I hope its a pay as you play deal.

LP
27-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Didn't he replace Keane in the Irish squad at the last world cup?

ammiller
27-01-2006, 02:21 PM
No - he was initially called up the first time Keane walked out on his country.

When Keane changed his mind, Healy was told thanks but no thanks.

When scumbag Keane finally walked out having undermined his manager once again (in person and via a 2 page interview with the Irish Times), it was too late to call Healy back to the squad as the deadline had passed.

Cleon
27-01-2006, 03:15 PM
If he's impressed well in training, then I'd say give him a short-term (18-month) deal. Presumably his wage demands will not be significant, he'll be hungry to improve and we are short-handed in midfield.

alaneagle
27-01-2006, 05:47 PM
http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=357743&CPID=10&clid=&lid=4&title=Palace+target+trio

says he's impressed

Celestial Empire
27-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by alaneagle
http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=357743&CPID=10&clid=&lid=4&title=Palace+target+trio

says he's impressed

He always says that (allegedly) before saying no thanks. ;)

Sussex Eagle #1
30-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Any further news on Healy:bash:

The Bishop
30-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle #1
Any further news on Healy:bash:

News from Today's Evening Standard:

Crystal Palace boss Iain Dowie wants to help resurrect Colin Healy's career. But only if he proves his fitness in the next two weeks.
Healy, 25, has not played for two years since he broke his leg against Coventry. He was released by Sunderland earlier this month.
The Irish midfielder has been on trial at Palace for a week but Dowie will only sign him if he shows he can return to his best.
Dowie said: "Colin has had an unfortunate situation with injuries. We are seeing how he goes and are doing as much as we can to help him regain his level. He has looked good. He was a top player at one stage and we hope he can get back there with us. Our training regime will help him get his stamina back up but if it looks like it is going to take longer, then we may have to rethink it."

Daddy Long
31-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Well he's a free agent so we are not constrained to having to sign him in the transfer window.

PalaceMonkey
31-01-2006, 10:21 AM
I don't think that applies if he has been contracted to a club this recently.

otherwise you'd just get people cancelling contracts to avoid the transfer window rules.

Cleon
31-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Even if that was the case, surely we could sign-him up for 2-3 weeks, and then extend his contract if he is performing well.

Naturally it would require the player's agreement since the risk would be all his.

PJJY
31-01-2006, 09:09 PM
we could give him the same offer we gave marco reich,if he impresses extend it.

Oisin
05-02-2006, 12:27 AM
According to the Irish editionof the SundaY Times Healy is till on trial

Palace hand Healy royal opportunity

Swapping places with Sadlier in southeast London is Colin Healy who is on trial at Crystal Palace after being released by Sunderland. Palace manager Iain Dowie will only sign him if he shows he can return to his best. He said: ‘Colin has had an unfortunate situation with injuries. We are seeing how he goes and are doing as much as we can to help him regain his level. He has looked good. He was a top player at one stage and we are hoping he can get back there with us. Our training regime will help him get his stamina back up but if it looks like it is going to take longer, then we may have to rethink it.’

Chillo
05-02-2006, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Oisin
According to the Irish editionof the SundaY Times Healy is till on trial

Palace hand Healy royal opportunity

Swapping places with Sadlier in southeast London is Colin Healy who is on trial at Crystal Palace after being released by Sunderland. Palace manager Iain Dowie will only sign him if he shows he can return to his best. He said: ‘Colin has had an unfortunate situation with injuries. We are seeing how he goes and are doing as much as we can to help him regain his level. He has looked good. He was a top player at one stage and we are hoping he can get back there with us. Our training regime will help him get his stamina back up but if it looks like it is going to take longer, then we may have to rethink it.’

Or is this just a rehash of the old story?

RickyB
05-02-2006, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey

otherwise you'd just get people cancelling contracts to avoid the transfer window rules. Yup, that's how it works. As long as you are free agent, and you need to agree with your club that you can get a free, you can get signed.

Clapham Grand
05-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Chillo
Or is this just a rehash of the old story?

no, tis true. Healy is still at Palace at the moment

Beanie
06-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey

otherwise you'd just get people cancelling contracts to avoid the transfer window rules.
Can sign as long as he was a free agent during the window. Otherwise - like Roy Keane who had his contract cancelled between windows - can't play until the next window opens.

Palace Don
06-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
no, tis true. Healy is still at Palace at the moment

Any ideas if we might offer him a contract?

NZsparky
06-02-2006, 08:45 PM
I think it is down to if he can continue to improve his stamina and fitness.

sydnsteve
07-02-2006, 09:02 AM
If we are trying to get him fit, expect an injury very soon!

Phil O'Sophical
07-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Looks like he's going to get a run out

From FansFc

Irish star still has chance of Palace move
12:39 February, 7, 2006

Colin Healy's chances of joining Crystal Palace will be determined by a reserve team outing next week

The Republic of Ireland international midfielder was released by Sunderland recently after not playing a game since December 2003 when he suffered a broken leg.

He has been on trial at Selhurst Park and boss Dowie said: "Colin will probably play a game next week, and that will be the acid test for him.

"I'm mindful of the fact that he's been out for more than two years. Colin has to tell us when he's right, and we will play him.

"We are edging closer to that stage. He will have a full week's training, and we will see how he goes in the match.

"After that, we will make a judgement on him. We need to get his fitness levels right up this week."

gold76
07-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Good luck to him, deserves a break. No pun intended!

RDSdaEAGLE
07-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Good to see that Dowie is willing to help him out and to give him a chance.

kestoneagle
07-02-2006, 01:03 PM
The Reserves are playing Charlton at Selhurst tomorrow. We may see him there.

Axie
07-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by kestoneagle
The Reserves are playing Charlton at Selhurst tomorrow. We may see him there.

I thought this had been postponed.

cphagi
07-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Last competitive game back in 2003 FFS.

NZsparky
07-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by cphagi
And your point is?

Beatleboy
07-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Obviously because of his injury he has not been a target for anyone. If we can get a quality player fit and playing to the top of his game, then what a bargain he could turn out to be.

Boyandy
07-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by cphagi

Er - when we signed Hughes he hadn't played a game in a year either.

FFS.

Young Trolley
07-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Boyandy

FFS.

A year yes but 2003 is THREE years ago. Does he even remember what a football looks like? This will amount to nothing IMO :confused:

cphagi
07-02-2006, 09:30 PM

FFS.

I imagine he would have trained in the year off he got, whereas Healy broke his leg twice in two years and he is certainly not ready. I hope he does well though, if we get him on pay as you play and he does good then it would be a great transfer.

Boyandy
07-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Young Trolley
A year yes but 2003 is THREE years ago. Does he even remember what a football looks like? This will amount to nothing IMO :confused:

Without sounding like an uber-statto, Healy's last game for Sunderland was in December 2003 - so hardly 3 years ago. Yes he's had to recover from injury, but that doesn't mean he's been injured (as opposed to just unfit) all that time.

It's not as if he's costing us anything, so what's the harm?

Mong!
08-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Very true, it's worth a try. He'll certainly want to impress us.

sydnsteve
08-02-2006, 12:27 PM
He also stayed quite a while at Sunderland after his injury and got fit again, hence McCarthy being pissed off when he left.

Exiled Mike
08-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Without sounding like an uber-statto, Healy's last game for Sunderland was in December 2003 - so hardly 3 years ago. Yes he's had to recover from injury, but that doesn't mean he's been injured (as opposed to just unfit) all that time.

It's not as if he's costing us anything, so what's the harm?

I've been talking to a Sunderland fanatic I work with :(
Says Healy has broken the same leg twice badly - second time was at Coventry and he had only just come back into the squad. i think that may explain the long lay off from playing. As Boyandy said, that doesn't mean he is not fit.
On his day work colleague valued him as a good player.
As he is on a free we have very little to lose (in wages) by signing him.
Just hope he isn't going to be another Matt Jansen who never really recovered his form....

Freddy Kurz
09-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Much will depend upon how thoroughly he has progressed through his
rehabilitation programme. There have been many examples of players
making complete recovery from serious double fractures and breaks.

One current example is Glen Little, now having a great season with
Championship leaders, Reading, who sustained a similar injury to
Healy while a trainee at Palace in the mid-90's.

He did his rehabilitation with Glentoran, eventually moving to
Burnley in 1996/7 where he had eight good years, averaging
well over 30 League games a season.

Many years earlier, ex Palace captain, Ian Evans sustained a
serious double break in a tackle from George Best and made a
successful comeback with Barnsley.

Healy is still only 25, has great physical attributes, being
6'1" and 12st.13lbs and experience with Celtic, Coventry and
Sunderland, plus 13 Eire caps. If we can successfully
complete his rehab. and bring him back to full match fit-
ness, he is a midfielder who could become a considerable
asset for the club.

Phil O'Sophical
09-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz

asset for the club.

Bloody hell. He's taller than any of our forwards!

davematt
09-02-2006, 10:23 AM

asset for the club.

Good post. He was being raved about a few years ago. If he can get back to his best, I am sure he will be an asset. I think its worth giving him a short term contract if things go well.

Terrace Bickle
09-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Phil O'Sophical
Bloody hell. He's taller than any of our forwards!

FFS Don't go giving Iain ideas!!!

Son of Shacker
10-02-2006, 08:23 AM
The Sun says we are going to give Healy a contract

The Sun says it, so it must be true

Malakite
10-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Son of Shacker
The Sun says we are going to give Healy a contract

The Sun says it, so it must be true

ALl I can say is that Hughes had not played for ages yet look what a revelation he has been for us, fingers crossed Healy turns out to be made of the same stuff :p

Cleon
10-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Seems we've taken a long look at the lad - if he's successfully recovered from his injuries and Dowie thinks he's got what it takes then it sounds like a good deal all round.

Santos-er
10-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Malakite
ALl I can say is that Hughes had not played for ages yet look what a revelation he has been for us, fingers crossed Healy turns out to be made of the same stuff :p

Hughsie hadn't broken his leg twice...

alaneagle
11-02-2006, 08:22 PM
i reckon we'll give him a short term contract, lets see how the reserve game goes, we could use some of his height in midfield

bendyjoe
14-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Did anyone see in what it said in the standard last night?
Apparently we've let him go for now, but will monitor his fitness with a view to doing something in the near future. Or watching him sign for Hartlepool...

Slimbloke'H'
14-02-2006, 12:18 PM

asset for the club.

Blimey - Slimbloke in FK agreement shocker! :eek:

Clapham Grand
15-02-2006, 01:20 PM
not in today's reserve squad

Clapham Grand
16-02-2006, 12:23 PM
He has been released by the club

LP
16-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Could we not give him a short term deal and see how it goes? Like we did with Reich?

David Amsalem
16-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Cheers Clapham.

Its a shame, he is one of the few trialists I thought could perhaps do a job. Apparently not though!

gold76
16-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Maybe a lower division club might take a chance on him.

Beanie
16-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by LP
Could we not give him a short term deal and see how it goes? Like we did with Reich?
The management gave Reich a short deal as they saw something and (correctly) felt he'd make it. If they have seen nothing from Healy, or if his fitness hasn't come on, why pay him? Not really fair on him either if they don't think he'll make it, could get sorted out with another club.

Santos-er
16-02-2006, 02:10 PM

bugger.

Gooders
16-02-2006, 02:10 PM

Presumably all the beds are occupied in our treatment room.

pedro
16-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Dowie let him go as he has only just found out he was not David Healy after all he only seems interested in strikers these days.

Slimbloke'H'
16-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
Presumably all the beds are occupied in our treatment room.

:)

mik59
22-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Don't know where this piece comes from but mate e-mailed me the following:

Republic of Ireland international Colin Healy has pulled out of a potential move to Selhurst Park because he feels he would be unable to command a first team place under Iain Dowie.

The 26-year-old, who has not played a competitive fixture since sustaining a broken leg while playing for Sunderland in December 2003, had been on trial at the club for two weeks.

But Healy decided to call time on his short stay with the Eagles due to his concerns of getting minimal first team action in his bid to return to top level football.

Palace director of football Bob Dowie said: "Colin is no longer with us. He didn't feel he would get in the team here so he's looking to join clubs at a lower level to prove himself there and maybe come back to us.

"It was his decision. He just felt he needed to play regularly and he couldn't do that here. But something could happen in the future."

Santos-er
22-02-2006, 02:31 PM
with class like Soares and Leigertwood he'd never get in the first team :rolleyes:

lil_b_eagle
22-02-2006, 02:46 PM
thats a shame

sydnsteve
22-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Bloody hell, if he can't get into our midfield he must be crap!

Dartford Lad
22-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Fair play to him for not just joining us for the money. At least he actually wants to go somewhere for the football, rather than the dough. Good man! :cool:

cpfc_spc1982
22-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Dartford Lad
Fair play to him for not just joining us for the money. At least he actually wants to go somewhere for the football, rather than the dough. Good man! :cool:

agreed, bit like thornton in the summer.

AlgotTheEagle
10-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Signed for Livingston for the rest of the season.

If anybody care.........:eek:

si1965
11-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Latest update:

August 10, 2006
Republic of Ireland international Colin Healy has completed his protracted move to Coca-Cola Championship side Barnsley.
Healy, who spent more than two years out of football with serious leg injuries, impressed at Oakwell in a trial before the start of the season.
Attempts to conclude the deal last week failed but Healy put pen to paper on a one-year contract today (Thursday).
The former Celtic and Sunderland man has been out of the international arena for the best part of three years, winning his last of his 13 caps in a European Championship qualifier against Switzerland in October 2003.

We may regret not taking the chance on Healy - be interesting to see how he copes in the Championship.