PDA

View Full Version : The Plymouth no.11

Walrus
11-09-2002, 05:56 AM
Didn't get a programme...think Gosling pointed out his name to me but it's late and I've forgotten it :D

This bloke ran the midfield during the first half of tonight's cup game. Always found himself a bit of space and always made an intelligent and often attacking pass. Didn't see him in too many tackles, but if he's that good with the ball you don't want him lying on the deck do you ?

Can't understand why he was subbed in the 2nd half, unless their manager was trying to play for penalties and shore things up at the back.

Get a scout down there TF, and put him on the shopping list.

What?
11-09-2002, 06:11 AM
Martin Phillips

BVB Bob
11-09-2002, 01:08 PM
Thought their 16 was good too, for the same reasons, but he faded in the 2nd half. His shirt said Lopes, but he was Martin Gritten in the programme. Confusing.

Ralph
11-09-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by What?
Martin Phillips

Is this the same Martin Phillips that Alan Ball said would be the first 10,000,000 player??? I think he use to play for Portsmouth and Exeter too but I stand to be corrected. Could be a useful addition....Could be a useless addition....I dont really know a lot about him.

Boris the charltonhater
11-09-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
Is this the same Martin Phillips that Alan Ball said would be the first 10,000,000 player??? I think he use to play for Portsmouth and Exeter too but I stand to be corrected. Could be a useful addition....Could be a useless addition....I dont really know a lot about him.

Started his career at Exeter, went to Man City for 50,000. Went off to Scunthorpe on loan. Then he went back to Exeter on loan. Signed for Portsmouth, went to Bristol Rovers on loan. Signed for Plymouth for 25,000 in August 2000. :p

Originally posted by BVB Bob
Thought their 16 was good too, for the same reasons, but he faded in the 2nd half. His shirt said Lopes, but he was Martin Gritten in the programme. Confusing.

Number 16 in their squad in Martin Gritton but he is currently on loan at Torquay. I assume this Osvaldo Lopez dude who worse he number 16 shirt yesterday is on trial or someting

Supa Ol
11-09-2002, 03:47 PM
My Plymouth-supporting mate who came to the game with me last night wouldn't stop raving about Lopez' performance. Apparently that was his first team debut - he was signed in the summer from a French Div 3 club. Don't think he's on loan.

The Omen
11-09-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Supa Ol
My Plymouth-supporting mate who came to the game with me last night wouldn't stop raving about Lopez' performance. Apparently that was his first team debut - he was signed in the summer from a French Div 3 club. Don't think he's on loan.

My Plymouth friend was raving on about the same player! He worked really hard the whole game.

Igor Iconic
11-09-2002, 04:20 PM
Lopez is a trialist. Looked pretty good. I think he used to play for Montpellier or something and is hoping to join the Arsenal of the South West (according to my Plymouth supporting mate), duly called becuse they have two other French players there already, Larrieu in goal who looked okay, and David Friio in midfield. I was a bit disappointed by Friio's contribution after he came on from the bench especially I had read a bit about him and seen that he has scored quite alot of goals.

Latvian Eagle
12-09-2002, 10:02 PM
Osvaldo Lopes was number 16 although I don't see how he and another can be 16. If you loan a player out, then they still have the number the club gave at the begining of the season. Probably a programme error. Was disappointed with Nathan Lowndes, but I hate him anyway. He used to play for St. Johnstone but he screwed the club. Sturrock was also an ex manager who left in hostile circumstances. Wasn't their kit just horrible? :D

Neckinger Eagle
13-09-2002, 02:01 AM
I read last week that Gritton has now transferred permenently to Torquay, so that freed up the shirt number 16 for Lopes.

I was confused by their left back. It looked like he was wearing number 19, which in the program is Marino Keith. But Keith is a striker. I see today it was ex-Bolton player Hasnee Aljofree, so where's Keith gone?

By the way, didn't Aljofree make his Bolton debut against us when we lost 5-2 (or something) at their place?

I was fairly impressed by Plymouth. I wonder if Paul Sturrock is interested in managing a South London club?

Latvian Eagle
13-09-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Neckinger Eagle
A. I read last week that Gritton has now transferred permenently to Torquay, so that freed up the shirt number 16 for Lopes.

B. I was confused by their left back. It looked like he was wearing number 19, which in the program is Marino Keith. But Keith is a striker. I see today it was ex-Bolton player Hasnee Aljofree, so where's Keith gone?

C. I was fairly impressed by Plymouth. I wonder if Paul Sturrock is interested in managing a South London club?

A. That explains that, like I said.

B. I think Hasney Aljofree was number 13 actually.

C. NO! JUDAS!

Gosling
13-09-2002, 02:17 AM
Damn right they were impressive. Walrus.Who was their no 15? you know, the one with that wicked free kick? The one they warned you about and who would have scored if our wall hadn't got a lucky deflection?

I tell you, If Steven Baxter ever pulls his finger out and writes me the reference I deserve I'll make you the head scout.

Latvian Eagle
13-09-2002, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Neckinger Eagle
A. I read last week that Gritton has now transferred permenently to Torquay, so that freed up the shirt number 16 for Lopes.

B. I was confused by their left back. It looked like he was wearing number 19, which in the program is Marino Keith. But Keith is a striker. I see today it was ex-Bolton player Hasnee Aljofree, so where's Keith gone?

C. I was fairly impressed by Plymouth. I wonder if Paul Sturrock is interested in managing a South London club?

A. Exactly what I was pointing to.

B. Aljofree was 13. Remember Bolton had another weird sounding player... Costas Xiououppa

C. NO! JUDAS!

Walrus
15-09-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Gosling
Damn right they were impressive. Walrus.Who was their no 15? you know, the one with that wicked free kick? The one they warned you about and who would have scored if our wall hadn't got a lucky deflection?

I tell you, If Steven Baxter ever pulls his finger out and writes me the reference I deserve I'll make you the head scout.

Think that was their centre half and captain Paul Wharton. (no program to refer to). One of the few benefits to being at a non-Palace match on many a match day is that you get to see shedloads of non-Palace players that given the media obsession with the Prem top 3 you would otherwise never know that much about. And you get to talk to a lot of fans who know their "home" players pretty well.

Get that reference sorted mate ! Hope i didn't bore you with the incessant commentary during the game and all the waffle in the Alliance !