PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings And Reviews: Southampton V Crystal Palace

Brummie Allan
06-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Not sure why no one started this.

Malarkey
06-04-2017, 08:05 AM
Meh. Would've taken 3 points from the Chelsea and Southampton away games if offered it on Saturday morning.

Sceagle
06-04-2017, 08:07 AM
Hennessey played well again. Everyone else was meh. I thought Wilf, Ward and Kelly were poor in particular. Injuries were our downfall. Cabaye having to go off ruined the shape. 3 at the back didn't work. Shock that 100 mins against Chelsea meant we were poor 3 days later.

eaglejez
06-04-2017, 08:07 AM
odd decisions by Sam tonight IMO but what do I know :(
Hennessey excellent

wrightchipvcfc
06-04-2017, 08:26 AM
Wh for me injurys meant we had to replace them with players not in the same class if we can get our best 13 14. Outfield players on pitch were give anyone a game but if 4 or 5 Are injured the squad not good enough to cope with that.Fryers lee Kelly flamini sakho Campbell mutch Ledley all step down from what there replacing.

maestro
06-04-2017, 08:32 AM
It was poor all round

We look knackered

For me the worst part was the set pieces, Saints had midgets marking our tall players and we only beat the first man at the corner once in about half a dozen attempts

I thought Sam made a wrong choice by playing the 2 up top again, we look lucky against chelsea but never won a 2nd ball all night yesterday

Ward really has lost too much pace, he gets roasted now from a standing start

andyocpfc
06-04-2017, 08:36 AM
As much as it pains me to say as I am a massive fan of Sam, that was a very Pardew type performance, all round. You just knew their goal/s was coming as the game went on in the second half. Big 5 days now to prepare against a team we historically never get anything from.

Sceagle
06-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Sam got it wrong but the squad depth was that of a Pardew squad. Missing Dann, Tomkins, PVA, McArthur, Ledley. Cabaye then went off injured.

I think Sam was wrong to take off Schlupp when Cabaye went off injured. We should have put Flamini on and continued as is. We weren't playing well but the change to 3 at the back made things worse.

Nelson Muntz
06-04-2017, 08:53 AM
Once Yohan went off we were finished.
I thought Townsend was our best player.
Benteke was a handful.
Wilf and Ward poor.
Redmond was a pest for them.
Would have preferred to have seen Flamini come on at half time instead of Sako. Did BFS go a bit Pardew on us and try for the unlikely win?

glaziers fan
06-04-2017, 09:07 AM
Hennessey 8 Some excellent saves especially one-on-one. Great handling. Brimming with confidence. No mistakes

Schlupp 6 Defended fine I felt. But lacks footballing ability. He's poor on the ball

Sakho 6 Looked tired, which is understandable considering absence of work and then all the games he's been playing for us

Kelly 6 He just doesn't impose himself. Too soft. Too nice. Headers lack direction and distance. But as a defender in terms of marking he is fine.

Ward 6 Ripped apart for their 3rd. Some poor touches, seems to have lost a yard of pace. Great servant but we need an upgrade

Cabaye 7 Played for only 45 mins because he was tired after the Chelsea game. Perhaps we might get 60 mins out of him vs Arsenal? Works hard, has class but the legs are going. Not up for a fight.

Puncheon 6 Distinctly Average yet again. What does he do? He doesn't tackle, he hasn't got the engine to get up and down, he rarely affects the game in an attacking sense. He works hard and obviously cares. He's technically a good footballer, but he (like Ward) should be a squad player.

Milovojevic 8 MOM He puts himself about, wins a bit of ball, covers well, has great passing, good footballing technique. He is improving with every game. Considering he is getting used to a much faster league, and the lightweight players he has alongside he has done supremely well.

Townsend 8 A bright showing from him. Worked hard, got up and down and technically adept. Assist for goal. We just won't mention his awful corners!

Benteke 8 Such a classy player. A Rolls Royce of a centre forward. Technique is fantastic, wins headers, scores goals, can run with the ball, what's not to like?

Zaha 7 Sublime skill, no protection from the ref, we need to get him on the ball more

Subs:

Sako 6 Put in a decent shift playing down the middle. Will improve for the run out

Delaney 7 Rock solid, good header from a corner

We started out 4-4-2 with Puncheon wide right, Townsend wide left. The went 4-5-1 with Zaha wide left and Townsend wide right. Then in the second half we went 3-4-3 with Townsend left wing back, Ward right wing back, Puncheon holding with Luka, Benteke wide left Sako throught the middle and Zaha wide right.

teesdale99
06-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Sam got it wrong but the squad depth was that of a Pardew squad. Missing Dann, Tomkins, PVA, McArthur, Ledley. Cabaye then went off injured.

I think Sam was wrong to take off Schlupp when Cabaye went off injured. We should have put Flamini on and continued as is. We weren't playing well but the change to 3 at the back made things worse.
He didn't. Sako came on for him at half time. I know our bench was week but surely Flamini would have been a better replacement? Sit and hold and respect the point. We started to lose the midfield battle (obvious we were going to as soon as sub was made - it was a weird one) and sam reacted to this by going 5 at the back with Delaney for schlup

RobertCPFC
06-04-2017, 09:08 AM
In the end it was a step too far after Saturday. Benteke's goal was brilliant with a good set up as well. The equaliser did look like clear foul but to cancel that out it felt we also got a few questionable decision go our way. I felt it was clear at the time that it be a major momentum shift going into half time. I thought Sako was an odd choice for half time and I agree with Nelson that Flamini would have been better. The second half we did struggle and I had an awful feeling they would score.

Despite the result I had a good night until going through Weybridge on the train and some idiot (and I'm being polite calling them that) pulled the emergency cord and we had to wait abut 30 minutes for them to put it back and test it before going again.

exiledeagle
06-04-2017, 09:10 AM
Thought all were below par apart from Hennessey

Ward struggled all night but had no help

Schlupp was terrible , he doesn't seem to have positioning of a full back and keeps giving ball away under no pressure . Also we he surges forward , he again loses ball away exposing us at back .

Kelly For a tall player he is terrible in air and seems weak when challenged . Also just gave possession away too easily and slow to clear lines

Sakho Looked knackered

Cabaye Soton dominated midfield too easily

Puncheon As above

Luka One game too many

Townsend Tried hard but struggled

Zaha Poor tonight

Benteke Ok but still need more from him

With a few injuries we look certain relegation candidates . I just hope we can get them fit asap - We really do have hard run in compared to rest at bottom

Do we know if any are close to return ?

PVA
Tomkins
McArthur
Cabaye
Remy
Campbell
Ledley Assume he is fit for Monday

Dann out for season ?

Louis
06-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Big 5 days now to prepare against a team we historically never get anything from.
That's not quite true - we usually don't but we occasionally do :)

elgin eagle
06-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Meh. Would've taken 3 points from the Chelsea and Southampton away games if offered it on Saturday morning.

Me too. Going to get a few setbacks along the way with this amazingly tricky run in and key injuries. Just need to not get too upbeat with the wins and too downbeat with the defeats. For all we know it could be West Ham and Burnley in the dog fight soon instead, which will be hard for either of them to handle having been out of it all season. Thought we looked leggy but that was totally understandable having put so much work in against Chelsea. Its a bonus that we are not playing on Saturday anyway. Hopefully can field a decent back 4 against Arsenal.

meee
06-04-2017, 09:24 AM
Hennessey was by far the best player. Zaha got hacked down every time he touched the ball apart from the build up to the goal so to say he was poor is harsh. Losing Cabaye at half time killed us and Schlupp had a nightmare.

Del Gland
06-04-2017, 09:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-EdCNjumvI

Watch and digest!

RobertCPFC
06-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Thought all were below par apart from Hennessey

Ward struggled all night but had no help

Schlupp was terrible , he doesn't seem to have positioning of a full back and keeps giving ball away under no pressure . Also we he surges forward , he again loses ball away exposing us at back .

Kelly For a tall player he is terrible in air and seems weak when challenged . Also just gave possession away too easily and slow to clear lines

Sakho Looked knackered

Cabaye Soton dominated midfield too easily

Puncheon As above

Luka One game too many

Townsend Tried hard but struggled

Zaha Poor tonight

Benteke Ok but still need more from him

With a few injuries we look certain relegation candidates . I just hope we can get them fit asap - We really do have hard run in compared to rest at bottom

Do we know if any are close to return ?

PVA
Tomkins
McArthur
Cabaye
Remy
Campbell
Ledley Assume he is fit for Monday

Dann out for season ?

What Allardyce has said this morning (taken from BBC website):

Patrick van Aanholt, Scott Dann, James Tomkins, Pape Souare, Yohan Cabaye (calf strain), James McArthur, Connor Wickham, Loic Remy, Fraizer Campbell all injured.

"We're thin on the ground now," says manager Sam Allardyce.

glaziers fan
06-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Oh, and my assessment is that it is our midfield that's the problem. Luka is fine at holding, but we don't have the players in there to press. Puncheon can't even get there to press, let alone win the ball. Cabaye is temperamental. McArthur injured. Ideally we need Luka to hold, McArthur back fit, and then at least one and probably 2 new centre mids in the summer especially if Cabaye moves on. We need 3 in centre mid long term.

At the moment we look organised but we don't put pressure on the ball and it is just wave after wave of pressure from the opposition with no-one breaking up play. Benteke and Zaha look so dangerous when they receive it but they don't get enough of an opportunity currently.

Payney
06-04-2017, 09:30 AM
We got caught with too many players in front of the ball too many times when the ball broke in midfield second half, Poor performance. Saints deserved the win second half, Not much in it first half. Formation let their midfield run free after the break.

Hennessey 8 - Did well again, Hopefully will keep up this level of performance.
Schlupp 6 - Did ok, most of Southamptons better play was the other side
Sakho 7 - Put in some good blocks again, Lack of cover in front of him cost us.
Kelly 6 - Didn't let us down
Ward 5 - Got roasted a few times, Too slow over 5-10 yards for a full back.
Cabaye 6 - Did ok first half.
Puncheon 6 - Usual punch, Some good ...some bad passing.Doesn't effect games anywhere near enough.
Milovojevic 8 - Probably out best player on the night. Unlucky with free kick in the first half.
Townsend 7.5 - Thought he tried very hard and run hard both ways.
Benteke 7 - Easy enough finish. The ball just seems to hit him sometimes rather than him placing a measured header when the ball is pumped up to him.
Zaha 7 - Not his night, Ref didn't help mind. Still tried all he could.

Sako 6 - Did ok but still looks too slow and awkward. Pub player rather than Premier.
Delaney 7 - Put in a good shift when he came on.

Martin H
06-04-2017, 09:40 AM
As posted on the Live Com, the worrying things watching last night was how knackered the players looked following Saturday's match. It's understandable but the matches come thick and fast now and all tough matches and the injuries give us little room for flexing the starting 11 and TBH subs. This problem is likely to get worse. Not sure how bad Macca is fitness wise but we could badly do with him back right now.

The game plan in the last 2 games seems to have left Wilf (and Benteke) hanging forward with little to no defensive duties re the advancing full back (i.e. When he plays as a winger he tracks back really well now. Townsend was in the classic role. Against Chelsea this worked well but it relied on the other midfield 3 covering extra ground and on Saturday Punch often shifted across leaving the other 2 a lot of ground but it worked, and against top quality opposition. TBH when I say it worked, there were a lot of chances created but we successfully defended them. We saw the same against less able opposition but the Dam broke :( the driver I think for this shape is keeping Luka in the hole in front of the defence (which clearly works) while playing 2 up as an outlet. As much as I understand the thought I hope we don't rely on this for the remaining matches, certainly not for 90 mins. The result on Saturday belies the fortune and defensive/keeper excellence needed on the day.

We did hit the post twice and with a little extra luck might have nicked that point but to be fair they had a lot of chances they didn't convert, so ......

Hennessey - 8 - there might be an extra .5 for his improvement in there but this was another very good game from Wayne. There were a lot of moments last night that he has screwed up in previous games but he came through each time.

Ward - 6 - I think he suffered from the system as much as anything. He was often exposed as the extra cover was either slow and the wing was overloaded. He also struggled to stem the crosses with some tricky wingplay

Kelly - 7 - again an extra .5 for the circumstances. Thrown into the defence at CB in a first time pairing and little gametime, I thought he did very well. Looked very nervous and uncomfortable at the beginning but it didn't stop him defending well. Long was a nightmare opponent with wonderful movement bug he hung in there.

Sakho - 6.5 - he looked wrecked on Saturday and 30 mins in was the same. Never gave up and made some great blocks. Needs to spend the next 48hrs in bed I reckon :)

Schlupp - 5.5 - unfortunately this performance was how I remembered him at LB for Leicester but to be fair he has done very well prior to last night. He struggled whenever Townsend went to the right and he was often outnumbered.

Luka - 7 - unlucky with an excellent FK. Another good game but I think he covered the most distance in the match on Saturday and so no shock if he was also tried at the end.

Punch - 6.5 - worked so hard and taking his Captaincy role very seriously I reckon. Probably handed the tiredness as well as anyone but couldn't lift us. Too much ground to cover.

Cabaye - 6 - looked as if he was carrying injury or just wrecked from the start and I wasn't surprised he went off. He did the covering and so on but lacked the extra oomph.

Townsend - 7 - great assist, worked very hard all over the pitch and came very close with the improvised overhead. Did a lot of work at the back but like everyone struggled to stem the flow of crosses.

Zaha - 6.5 - seems to have lost his head completely now and spent 90 mins whining at the ref and was lucky not to be booked or worse at HT as he raged and was held back by teammates. This I suspect was in part because he went down to win the foul and didn't get it instead of standing strong as we know he can and their goal followed. Flashes of his ability but not enough on the day for us to continue with him in the free role. Must have been tired but need him to dig deep and keep 'mum' or we will finish matches with 10 men.

Benteke - 6.5 - good solid goal but same story. If he has less responsibility defensively he has to work the line and make things happen.

Sako - 6 - did OK but not an ideal replacement for Cabaye.

Delaney - 6 - again did OK but this seemed to be to give Sakho a breather but instead had him stretched even further on the left side of things.

As astute as the decisions looked on Saturday, they looked clumsy tonight but as repeated endlessly above we struggled with the midweek match after Chelsea and maybe that and the injury list was to blame.

I am very nervous about our Great Escape plan and think injuries are going o be our undoing. Having Macca available would make such a difference and hopefully he will be back soon. Don't think he is in training yet though, is he?

pots1970
06-04-2017, 09:48 AM
Fatigue cost us in the end, kept giving the ball away cheaply, especially ward, but to be fair to him he was worked over by Redmond so was knackered, a little composure on the ball and we could have nicked a draw. Great turnout and enjoyed the night, didn't enjoy the 3 hour drive home with the M3 closed but traffic is a great leveler as I was behind Parish in his Ferrari for most of the A30.

Louis
06-04-2017, 09:56 AM
Luka - 7 Another good game but I think he covered the most distance in the match on Saturday and so no shock if he was also tried at the end.
Tried? What for? ;)

Pete79
06-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Southampton's wide players pinned us back and the Cabaye-Sako substitution ruined our shape. It doesn't matter what the question is - Sako isn't the answer.

Southampton are a good team who saw how we set up against Chelsea and worked out how to break us down. They were more effective playing wide than Chelsea and in my opinion caused us more problems - Long had better chances to score than Costa. Still, it took them 83 minutes to get ahead and if Cabaye had been able to stay on, or Tompkins/PVA play, it might have been different.

Puncheon is being carried by our team. He carries out his role as captain well but doesn't offer anything else. He's our attacking midfielder but only has 3 assists and 0 goals. He's a liability in defense, filling up space and pointing which doesn't actually help any situation (Chelsea's goal on Saturday was a perfect example of Puncheon's pointing rather than getting stuck in). If fit we need to play Cabaye, MaCarthur and Luca or put Schlupp on the left and play Zaha off Benteke.

It was good to see Zaha, Cabaye, Townsend and Benteke link up for the goal and its disapointing we didn't get more than 1 with the chances we had since with our defensive injuries we were never going to keep Southampton out.

andyocpfc
06-04-2017, 10:19 AM
That's not quite true - we usually don't but we occasionally do :)

Okay, perhaps I'm slightly OTT with 'never' but it's still an appalling record by anyone's standards as shown below.

Last time we beat them was 23 years ago and last time at home was 37 years ago, when I was 2!!!

scro
06-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Zaha should stand on his feet it's what they are for.

Ridcully
06-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Luka MotM for me, we are just a different side with him in it.

Whole team looked drained...scary with such an intense period coming up.

Hennesey did very well again, defence was all over the place.

Once Cabaye went that was it...don't get bringing Sako on at all.

Ridcully
06-04-2017, 10:48 AM
Okay, perhaps I'm slightly OTT with 'never' but it's still an appalling record by anyone's standards as shown below.

Last time we beat them was 23 years ago and last time at home was 37 years ago, when I was 2!!!

I was there in 94, what a day that was :)

CPFC.1990
06-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Just too easy last night.

Southampton just carved through us like Chelsea.

Thing is that any type of pace and trickery and we struggle badly. Arsenal and Leicester will have that in abundance.

IanH
06-04-2017, 12:24 PM
A Southampton fan told me today that last night was one of their best performances of the whole season. I thought we battled hard but didn't deserve anything from the game. Tomkins injury cost us (and not having Dann available) as did Cabaye going off at half-time. Hennessey had a very good game but the four defenders who started plus Delaney were all shaky. I thought we played far too high a line against a really quick side. In the midfield Puncheon was largely anonymous but Cabaye and Luca looked good. Benteke's goal was brilliant but he did little else. Zaha flattered to deceive. Townsend would be my Man of the Match - he worked his nuts off all night and made the goal. I assume Flamini wasn't fit enough to play a whole half even though a sub? Bringing Sako on was a bit like bringing someone on from the away end. He ran around a bit but never got into the game. When the ball did find its way to him he was too slow to do anything with it. Onwards and upwards! This is Palace so worth checking our odds to win on Monday!

Danny boy
06-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Too many crosses are being allowed to be delivered under little pressure Schlupp especially doesn't seem to be doing enough defensively.

jmemour
06-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Hope to never see Bakary Sako playing number 10 again. Or on the wing. Too slow. In fact, would rather not see him at all.

beef
06-04-2017, 12:58 PM
Sako is really earning that 70-100k

Vanessa
06-04-2017, 12:59 PM
A Southampton fan told me today that last night was one of their best performances of the whole season. I thought we battled hard but didn't deserve anything from the game. Tomkins injury cost us (and not having Dann available) as did Cabaye going off at half-time. Hennessey had a very good game but the four defenders who started plus Delaney were all shaky. I thought we played far too high a line against a really quick side. In the midfield Puncheon was largely anonymous but Cabaye and Luca looked good. Benteke's goal was brilliant but he did little else. Zaha flattered to deceive. Townsend would be my Man of the Match - he worked his nuts off all night and made the goal. I assume Flamini wasn't fit enough to play a whole half even though a sub? Bringing Sako on was a bit like bringing someone on from the away end. He ran around a bit but never got into the game. When the ball did find its way to him he was too slow to do anything with it. Onwards and upwards! This is Palace so worth checking our odds to win on Monday!

But he's (Townsend) corners in the second half were abysmal. Really Really very bad.

Chris K
06-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Looked shattered from Saturday, but on a positive note if someone said this time last week we'd have 3 points from our last two games i'd have snapped their hand off

Vanessa
06-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Looked shattered from Saturday, but on a positive note if someone said this time last week we'd have 3 points from our last two games i'd have snapped their hand off

Totally agree.

KevMason98
06-04-2017, 01:25 PM

KevMason98
06-04-2017, 01:27 PM

TheCharmer1
06-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Terrible tactics to go 442 from the start. Adjusted it to 4231 and we scored and looked better. Terrible change at half time, sako was inept. Schlupp was poor throughout and gave away the most obvious pen of the season. Then we sat deeper and deeper and got nailed.
Good deflection tactics from sa in the presser. He got a lot wrong.

old git
06-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Southampton are a very good side,dont let their post Wembley performances cloud that.

Pete79
06-04-2017, 02:40 PM
Terrible tactics to go 442 from the start. Adjusted it to 4231 and we scored and looked better. Terrible change at half time, sako was inept. Schlupp was poor throughout and gave away the most obvious pen of the season. Then we sat deeper and deeper and got nailed.
Good deflection tactics from sa in the presser. He got a lot wrong.

Agree with this. I think SA was trying to be a bit too clever after the smart decisions he made against Chelsea. The cabaye sub was due to injury but why Sako was the replacement I'll never know. According the the club website Sako's 14 stone. That makes him a pound heavier than Hennessey desipte being six inches shorter and two stone heavier than Sakho despite being 2 inches shorter - and Sako's supposed to be a winger!

Martin H
06-04-2017, 02:40 PM
Tried? What for? ;)

LOL

Tired but he also tried. :)

Billyd
06-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Thought we were second best all game to be fair. Players looked tired and they dealt with Wilf very well. Despite that we were always in the game and hit the post twice. That in itself is encouraging.

Redmond and Ward-Prowse better than i thought and were best players on the park.

macstar
06-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Southampton are a very good side,dont let their post Wembley performances cloud that.

thought theyd struggle without Gabbidini and Van Dyke to be honest..... and they looked poor at the back. Thought our set pieces were poor

strawberry mivi
06-04-2017, 03:13 PM

48499I remember the last win very well.
Eating at the Angus Steakhouse on Leicester Square asking the waiter how Arsenal got on.
Wright scored but we beat the Arse.
Seems like yesterday...

PearceyBoi
06-04-2017, 03:19 PM
I think we were still knackered from the Chelsea game, and we missed Tomkins. At least we get an extra couple of days rest before we play the arse.

Nigelbrag
06-04-2017, 06:26 PM
It's easy in hindsight to say SA got it wrong, but after the result against Chelsea who could blame him for going for broke against a Saints team that had been struggling and who themselves would have been in the mire if we had won.
We started well and contained them fairly easily in the First half and had the cushion of scoring early, then conceding that late goal in that half we went to pieces whether it was the goal or weariness took its toll, but we looked off the pace in the Second half with many of our team looking second best in movement and tackling. In fairness to the Saints their midfield looked excellent in their movement and passing and they were the difference and something we could not handle, along with the excellent Redmond and Ward-Prowse.
Unfortunately this was a game that we should have expected to have gained 1 if not 3 points, sadly instead it turned out to be a morale destroying defeat, and we are now looking over our shoulder with the pressure back on again.

Nigelbrag
06-04-2017, 06:37 PM
I remember the last win very well.
Eating at the Angus Steakhouse on Leicester Square asking the waiter how Arsenal got on.
Wright scored but we beat the Arse.
Seems like yesterday...

Angus Steakhouse Leicester Square, wow that brings back many happy memories for me when i use to be a regular after taking in a show, back in the days. :p

mrgins
07-04-2017, 01:30 AM
I consider the saints game to be a non event. Everyone was knackered after the Chelsea game plus we had injuries and a depleted bench. I'm not sure why Kelly started over Delaney but that was SAMs decision. Sakho was his usual self but we lost to a team that wasn't better than us on any given day but was fresher on this particular day. Weird ref decisions but for both sides