PDA

View Full Version : All our wins v Arsenal

smithfieldeagle
11-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Anyone been to all our wins against Arsenal. Saw us beat them in the League Cup at Highbury in the 70's and in the 90's in the league,plus the 2 home wins. Only one I missed was the testimonial for Tony Adams. Can't remember any others

ElwissAtMemphis
11-04-2017, 01:35 PM
All 3 top-flight league wins.

79/80; 1-0, Swindlehurst although it was hard to tell at the time. I think somebody else hit a lame shot that went through several players in the box and he took a swing at it as it passed without causing any discernible variation in its trajectory but he was given the credit. They weren't considered a particularly good team at the time and we were 3rd or 4th so it didn't feel like a big shock. Pat JENNINGS, John DEVINE, Sammy NELSON, Brian TALBOT, David O’LEARY, Willie YOUNG, Liam BRADY, Steve GATTING, Graham RIX, David PRICE, Frank STAPLETON (Steve WALFORD) Hardly a team of world beaters, Brady excepted.

Oct 94. John Salako double at Highbury. Pretty well deserved but we were clinging on for dear life at the end. I think big Nigel saved us a couple of times late on. Ian Wright got their goal and was pleasingly sulky about the result afterwards. (Martyn, Patterson, Gordon, Coleman, Shaw, Southgate, Newman, Bowry, Salako ••, Ndah, Armstrong) That was a young team and a particularly lightweight midfield; good enough on the day. Arsenal were David SEAMAN, Lee DIXON, Nigel WINTERBURN, Tony ADAMS, Andy LINIGHAN, Paul DAVIS+, Ian SELLEY, Stefan SCHWARZ, Paul MERSON, Alan SMITH,Ian WRIGHT • (Kevin CAMPBELL) Pretty much the team that won the league 4&6 years earlier so they were well in decline by that point.

They had some well ropey, over-rated mercenaries last night. Tony Adams wouldn't have been impressed.

liberal clubber
11-04-2017, 03:46 PM
the players in their team are as strong as any arsenal side apart from double winning sides
sanchez, welbeck, belerin, walcott, ozil , elneny, not bad....

BERT'S HEAD
11-04-2017, 03:50 PM
the players in their team are as strong as any arsenal side apart from double winning sides
sanchez, welbeck, belerin, walcott, ozil , elneny, not bad....

Not Bad was so poor last night I didn't realise he was on the pitch.

Repo Man
11-04-2017, 03:50 PM
Look on some of the Arsenal forums about last nights game if you want a laugh (although the 'star' of Arsenal Fan TV, Troopz has been mysteriously absent from the internet since the game): most of their fans don't rate Welbeck, Bellerin and Eleneny themselves, apart from Ozil and Sanchez there's a distinct lack of quality.

Mad Max
11-04-2017, 03:51 PM
Not Bad was so poor last night I didn't realise he was on the pitch.:D:D

Percy Dalton
11-04-2017, 04:01 PM
Saw the league cup win in 70/71 and the 1=1 league a few days later. Aldso the 79/80 season win as well as the Highbury win 90's win but sadly not last night

Maidstoned Eagle
11-04-2017, 04:12 PM
Was at the front for the 79 Selhurst win, gutted that Sky moved the game to Monday as I was over for the weekend and had a ticket...had to fly back Sunday.

Levski
11-04-2017, 04:17 PM
I thought Wellbeck and Wolcott were abysmal last night. I don't really rate them in general. They are on the fringes of a garbage England side which speaks volumes. I was relieved they didn't play Giroud from the start and I can't understand why Arsenal fans don't seem to rate him. Sanchez looked dangerous first half, but something is clearly very wrong with Arsenal and the players want Wenger out. It is obvious.

old geezer
11-04-2017, 04:27 PM
Saw the 2-1 win at Highbury and a 1-1 with the team of the eighties
Also saw the pre-season 3-1 win - Adams testimonial

smithfieldeagle
11-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Didn't we miss a late pen in the 1-1 draw at highbury? Gerry Francis if my memory's correct

Spoons
11-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Saw the 2-1 win at Highbury and a 1-1 with the team of the eighties
Also saw the pre-season 3-1 win - Adams testimonial

Same for me, plus another draw or two. The Southgate goal in that testimonial always sticks in my mind.

Del Fenner
12-04-2017, 08:45 AM
Didn't we miss a late pen in the 1-1 draw at highbury? Gerry Francis if my memory's correct

It was, ballooned over, after a stonking run from King Kenny. Pretty sure that game made up Arsenal's minds to buy him.

DocSavage
13-04-2017, 02:07 AM
what's swindle doing now?

Glaws Eagle
13-04-2017, 02:58 AM

That's my recollection .. Easter weekend .. or close ... very hot day.

Had a cracking day on the piss with my Arse mate ..

Olympian2
13-04-2017, 06:05 AM
It was, ballooned over, after a stonking run from King Kenny. Pretty sure that game made up Arsenal's minds to buy him.

Was it ballooned over? I thought it was a weak effort that the keeper saved.

IanH
13-04-2017, 06:54 AM
Saw both the home wins and the Tony Adams testimonial. 3 out of 5 not bad!

Mick
13-04-2017, 08:20 AM
Winning at Highbury was pretty special, coming off the back of a bad run as I recall. Would be good to see us win at the Emirates next!

Coveta
13-04-2017, 08:31 AM
Saw win at highbury when Bobby Tambling scored a breakaway goal. Our woodwork was pepperred with mud with so many Arse misses. Sorry can't remember when though, maybe late sixties or early seventies

ReadingPalace
13-04-2017, 08:42 AM
I'd forgotten about the league win at Selhurst in 79/80. I went to that game but this was back in the days when 90% of people just turned up and paid at the turnstile, and I couldn't get in as the ground was full up.

Sceagle
13-04-2017, 08:50 AM
Haha you're all old

dave_who_ru
13-04-2017, 09:03 AM
Saw win at highbury when Bobby Tambling scored a breakaway goal. Our woodwork was pepperred with mud with so many Arse misses. Sorry can't remember when though, maybe late sixties or early seventies

9th November 1970, 4th round replay of League Cup at Highbury. Gerry Queen and a Bobby Tambling penalty. Arsenal's only defeat at home that season in all competitions when they won the double.

Penalty was a strange affair. I seem to recall that Bob Wilson had the ball and Gerry Queen went to challenge him when a defender decided to knock him out of the way. Did I get that right?

Archiebald Leitch
13-04-2017, 09:11 AM
The LC win was my first away game. Went on Timpsons from the clock tower.