PDA

View Full Version : Premier League clubs make 'limited progress' over disabled access

mcmean
20-04-2017, 08:06 AM
Sad to see we're failing on all fronts here;

According to the EHRC, the following clubs have not met requirements in particular areas:

Wheelchair spaces: Failing to provide the minimum number - Arsenal, Burnley, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Everton, Hull, Liverpool, Man Utd, Stoke, Sunderland, Tottenham, Watford, West Brom

Toilets: Without larger, fully equipped toilets, known as 'changing places' toilets - Bournemouth, Burnley, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Everton, Hull, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Sunderland, Swansea, Tottenham, Watford, West Brom

Information: Not publishing access statements to give disabled fans information about their ground - Burnley, Crystal Palace, Hull, Man Utd, Middlesbrough, Stoke, West Ham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39643089

ForzaPalace
20-04-2017, 08:08 AM
It's ok though because Parish will be on Dragon's Den

SeaEagle
20-04-2017, 08:12 AM
It's ok though because Parish will be on Dragon's Den

Which is accessed by a staircase with no ramp provided.

hdeagle
20-04-2017, 10:36 AM
There are disabled toilets in the Lower Holmesdale that do comply to the regulations and they have ramp access.

Palace are aware of the needs of the disabled and are working to create more disabled places by expanding the disabled area.

It is not fair to condemn the club without knowing the facts.

If you are a disabled Palace fan or carer then you can join the CPFC DSA for free.

The club are working with the CPFC DSA to improve disabled facilities at Selhurst Park.

COYP

Thefunkymonk
20-04-2017, 10:37 AM
Isn't this what's being rectified in summer??

hdeagle
20-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Palace are addressing the problems highlighted in the report as there could be severe penalties for non-compliance.

CPFC DSA

cpfc4evandeva
20-04-2017, 10:48 AM
There are disabled toilets in the Lower Holmesdale that do comply to the regulations and they have ramp access.

Palace are aware of the needs of the disabled and are working to create more disabled places by expanding the disabled area.

If you are a disabled Palace fan or carer then you can join the CPFC DSA for free.

The club are working with the CPFC DSA to improve disabled facilities at Selhurst Park.

COYP

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yfAeMtcURg0/hqdefault.jpg

ebyeeckeagle
20-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Equal ops policy in the Arthur. The toilets are shocking for everyone.

ebyeeckeagle
20-04-2017, 10:53 AM
To be fair to the club, most undeveloped grounds would struggle with enough spaces or proper toilet facilities. No surprise to see us, Burnley, Everton etc. Not acceptable in any of the newer developed stadia.

What is poor is not to have proper communications on it. An access policy or statement is pretty easy.

Yoda
20-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Which is accessed by a staircase with no ramp provided.

They've been going up in a lift for a while now.

ForzaPalace
20-04-2017, 10:57 AM
They've been going up in a lift for a while now.

Must be bloody slow. How many floors are there!?

Yoda
20-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Palace are addressing the problems highlighted in the report as there could be severe penalties for non-compliance.

CPFC DSA

And I'd like to think the club would address these needs because it's the right thing to do.

I appreciate the current ground has v limited infrastructure for this, but it's another reason why I'd like to see our future plans as I'd expect them to include at least one stand with proper provision for disabled supporters.

mcmean
20-04-2017, 11:26 AM
Isn't this what's being rectified in summer??

I understood we had to comply before the end of the season or face penalties.

What's more shocking is the names of the clubs with 'newish' stadiums (or certainly better infrastructure than ours) on that list. There really can be no excuses for the likes of Arsenal, Hull & Swansea

Selhurst Celtic
20-04-2017, 11:27 AM
Equal ops policy in the Arthur. The toilets are shocking for everyone.

There's a disabled toilet between blocks Y & Z in the Arthur. A steward let me in there with one of my kids once.

CharlieCPFC
20-04-2017, 11:29 AM

COYP

I love your posts.

Selhurst Celtic
20-04-2017, 11:34 AM
COYP

TopKnot
20-04-2017, 11:35 AM
Are you a wheelchair user hdeagle?

gilesy14
20-04-2017, 11:55 AM

COYP

I know the facts. The club are in their 4th season in the Premier League, & the disabled facilities in the Arthur have improved marginally since we came up. They're still largely shite - including a toilet which is largely used by able bodied fans at half time who can't be arsed to queue. Although, if the disabled fans are lucky - there's sometimes a steward trying to prevent this. That's without even mentioning the disgrace that was disabled fans being moved to make way for a studio which as been used how many times?

That's after Parish moaned publicly about having to splash out on improving the facilities recently.

Meanwhile, millions have been spent on the corporate facilities.

gilesy14
20-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Also, just a little reminder of this:

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/blind-disabled-crystal-palace-fan-leicester-city/story-26062504-detail/story.html

Happened just 2 years ago, as the club hadn't sorted out a hearing loop in the home end. I believe the CPFC2010 lounge was up & running by then though.

COYP

mcmean
20-04-2017, 11:59 AM
I know the facts. The club are in their 4th season in the Premier League, & the disabled facilities in the Arthur have improved marginally since we came up. They're still largely shite - including a toilet which is largely used by able bodied fans at half time who can't be arsed to queue. Although, if the disabled fans are lucky - there's sometimes a steward trying to prevent this. That's without even mentioning the disgrace that was disabled fans being moved to make way for a studio which as been used how many times?

That's after Parish moaned publicly about having to splash out on improving the facilities recently.

talks - would you, as business owner, spend money on things you can charge hundreds of pounds for each match, or 30 each match?

gilesy14
20-04-2017, 12:02 PM
talks - would you, as business owner, spend money on things you can charge hundreds of pounds for each match, or 30 each match?

Well that says it all. But apparently Parish & co do everything for the fans...maybe only if they're able-bodied?

The disabled facilities should have been improved the summer we came up. Not 4 years later. It's unacceptable.

cpfc4evandeva
20-04-2017, 12:05 PM

There is actually a way round making facilities better for disabled people: ban them all.

hdeagle
20-04-2017, 01:39 PM
cpfc4evandeva

Clearly you are a clueless biggot and I sincerely hope that you do not become disabled as your comment is ill-thought and not clever in the slightest.

You are a disgrace and need to retract your comment and offer an apology.

Disability is not a laughing matter

CPFC DSA

Selhurst Celtic
20-04-2017, 01:56 PM

Apart from Tourettes.

COYFP

HorleyStu
20-04-2017, 02:00 PM
My Dad is in a wheelchair and we are moving into the Holmesdale Disabled Area for next season. This area is ok but not ideal with that lovely studio blocking half your view etc

However, on a positive note, Palace are installing 300 x new spaces for next season in both the Main & Arthur stands, so hopefully things will improve after the building work in the summer.

hdeagle
20-04-2017, 02:04 PM
The Holmesdale disabled area is now located behind block A and the SKY portacabin does not block the view from there as it is further over.

CPFC DSA

cpfc4evandeva
20-04-2017, 02:06 PM
cpfc4evandeva

Clearly you are a clueless biggot and I sincerely hope that you do not become disabled as your comment is ill-thought and not clever in the slightest.

You are a disgrace and need to retract your comment and offer an apology.

CPFC DSA

My comment was quite clearly a joke.

I still can't work out if your posts are ever serious or if you're just a master troller.

hdeagle
20-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Disability is not a laughing matter which is why the DDA Act exists.

The joke is on you seriously.

CPFC DSA

Goat Weed
20-04-2017, 02:18 PM

CPFC DSA

COYDSA

gilesy14
20-04-2017, 02:19 PM
Apart from Tourettes.

COYFP

:D

HorleyStu
20-04-2017, 02:54 PM
The Holmesdale disabled area is now located behind block A and the SKY portacabin does not block the view from there as it is further over.

CPFC DSA

hdeagle, I know exactly where it is, we had a visit at the Leicester game by a steward who showed us around. Only half of the spaces available are not restricted, however the others are restricted by the portacabin.

gilesy14
20-04-2017, 02:59 PM
hdeagle, I know exactly where it is, we had a visit at the Leicester game by a steward who showed us around. Only half of the spaces available are not restricted, however the others are restricted by the portacabin.

The annoying thing about this is, hdeagle won't have anything bad said about the club. Yet is staunchly defensive of anyone with a disability. However, what he doesn't realise is that his stance on the subject means he's totally undermining the fact that disabled facilities at Selhurst Park aren't good enough. That's despite there being an official report saying so. What more can you get than that?! That's without taking in to account others experiences of it not being good enough & it being a whole 4 years before acceptable wholesale changes are made. His attitude is shooting those in the foot that he's meant to represent. It isn't good enough & hasn't been for ages, that shouldn't be played down.

muswell eagle
20-04-2017, 03:02 PM

CPFC DSA

Is there any reason why the Sky Portacabin can't be used by disabled fans when Sky is not using it?

AMP
20-04-2017, 03:03 PM
The annoying thing about this is, hdeagle won't have anything bad said about the club. Yet is staunchly defensive of anyone with a disability. However, what he doesn't realise is that his stance on the subject means he's totally undermining the fact that disabled facilities at Selhurst Park aren't good enough. That's despite there being an official report saying so. What more can you get than that?! That's without taking in to account others experiences of it not being good enough & it being a whole 4 years before acceptable wholesale changes are made. His attitude is shooting those in the foot that he's meant to represent. It isn't good enough & hasn't been for ages, that shouldn't be played down.

the bloke is a complete **** , just ignore him

gilesy14
20-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Is there any reason why the Sky Portacabin can't be used by disabled fans when Sky is not using it?

Think that's been suggested before mate, but sadly it's not accessible.

Martin H
20-04-2017, 03:16 PM

Doesn't that say more about the selfish able bodied fans using the disabled facilities. In the past, this stuff was policed by the fans themselves by people taking the piss out of anyone doing this sort of thing. Or at its worst offering to 'help them qualify' :) ( not advocating violence here).

Joe1905
20-04-2017, 03:24 PM
The fact that Arsenal are on this list with a relatively new Stadium is shocking.

Unfortunately we can only do so much and are trying to make it better I believe

Windsor_Eagle
20-04-2017, 03:27 PM
It seems that more clubs are listed in those categories than not. Also it clearly seems to be something more prominent in older stadia. Whilst things obviously need to improve, this isn't a Palace-specific issue so can't really see why Parish et al are getting a bit of a slating on here?

hdeagle
20-04-2017, 03:50 PM
Horley Stu

I suggest you speak to Pam Groves CPFC disability officer if you have any concerns over your view being obstructed.

hdeagle
20-04-2017, 03:54 PM
To those slagging me off I was before retirement a disabled persons representative for 2,000 staff and so I do know what I am talking about when it comes to disabled matters.

cpfc4evandeva
20-04-2017, 03:59 PM
It seems that more clubs are listed in those categories than not. Also it clearly seems to be something more prominent in older stadia. Whilst things obviously need to improve, this isn't a Palace-specific issue so can't really see why Parish et al are getting a bit of a slating on here?

I think Gilesy hits the nail on the head when he mentions that time, effort, and most importantly, cash is all readily available when an upgrade is needed on the exec lounges, but not on disabled facilities. In fact from what I've read, disabled fans now get a worse experience than before promotion.

That's really poor and I think criticism is valid.

gilesy14
20-04-2017, 04:04 PM
I think Gilesy hits the nail on the head when he mentions that time, effort, and most importantly, cash is all readily available when an upgrade is needed on the exec lounges, but not on disabled facilities. In fact from what I've read, disabled fans now get a worse experience than before promotion.

That's really poor and I think criticism is valid.

I wrote about 5 different responses to Windsor_Eagle but just deleted every one. Parish is beyond criticism on here to some, even in instances like this where it's a fact. It's just pointless to even debate it as there's no reasoning.

I'm glad there are people like yourself who can see it for what it is. Maybe if people saw what disabled fans have had to put up with, in the Arthur in-particular, they'd realise that the criticism to Parish & co is fully warranted.

ob13
20-04-2017, 04:09 PM

CPFC DSA

Hasn't the DDA act been replaced by the equality act 2010?

HorleyStu
20-04-2017, 04:27 PM
Horley Stu

I suggest you speak to Pam Groves CPFC disability officer if you have any concerns over your view being obstructed.

hdeagle

Already have and I know Pam very well and it was her idea for us to look around at the last home game.

Please stop defending the facilities n the Holmesdale end, you know very well what I'm talking about, half of the spaces allocated to wheel chair users have restricted views because of the portacabin, you cannot see down the side (arthur side) of the pitch!

I do not understand why you are being so defensive, I'm just being honest and it can easily be fixed by Palace removing the portacabin in the summer as it never gets used anymore! problem solved!

hdeagle
20-04-2017, 04:44 PM
SKY insist on clubs having facilities for broadcasting and I agree wholeheartedly that the location of their cabin has restricted the view of the disabled fans that were originally located above it.

This has greatly reduced how many disabled Palace fans can be located in that area of the ground because their view is greatly restricted.

For the reason above nobody at matches is located at the far end of the covered disabled enclosure directly above the SKY cabin.

The problems created by the location of the SKY cabin have been made aware to CPFC since it was installed and the CPFC DSA would love to have it re-located which would then allow the full use of the disabled enclosure.

A solution to the problem is being sought and the club have been made aware of the problem.

gilesy14
20-04-2017, 04:55 PM
SKY insist on clubs having facilities for broadcasting and I agree wholeheartedly that the location of their cabin has restricted the view of the disabled fans that were originally located above it.

This has greatly reduced how many disabled Palace fans can be located in that area of the ground because their view is greatly restricted.

For the reason above nobody at matches is located at the far end of the covered disabled enclosure directly above the SKY cabin.

The problems created by the location of the SKY cabin have been made aware to CPFC since it was installed and the CPFC DSA would love to have it re-located which would then allow the full use of the disabled enclosure.

A solution to the problem is being sought and the club have been made aware of the problem.

hdeagle, did Sky insist on the studio being located where it was? & did it then put sanctions in place to prevent the club from improving facilities over the next 4 years?

Ifill Over
20-04-2017, 05:03 PM
This may be a daft idea, but can the studio be elevated so that the disabled can get a better view of the pitch.

hdeagle
20-04-2017, 05:14 PM
The disabled fans were re-located to the back of Block A and their view is not obstructed by the SKY cabin.

A few disabled fans are located around the corner from Block A but the area obstructed by the SKY cabin is not used.

HorleyStu
20-04-2017, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the update hdeagle and I welcome improvements, hopefully in the summer.

The most important thing to remember are our disabled supporters and to ensure their match day experience is a good one.

Barbara4003
21-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Why can't the Club take out the first 3 or 4 rows of parts of the Main Stand and the AW and let the disabled fans have those areas?

Access can be through those gates between the end of the Family Stand and the Main Stand.

Is that too simple?

mcmean
21-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Why can't the Club take out the first 3 or 4 rows of parts of the Main Stand and the AW and let the disabled fans have those areas?

Access can be through those gates between the end of the Family Stand and the Main Stand.

Is that too simple?

Not likely to take out 4/3 rows of the most expensive stand in the stadium

Bobby Woodruff
21-04-2017, 11:05 AM

Is that too simple?

1 first eight or so rows of main stand is uncovered and the front of the Arthur isn't perfect
2 I think I've seen that wheelchair users don't like being at pitch level - very poor view

Barbara4003
21-04-2017, 11:19 AM
1 first eight or so rows of main stand is uncovered and the front of the Arthur isn't perfect
2 I think I've seen that wheelchair users don't like being at pitch level - very poor view

Actually, I realised after I had posted that the first few rows of the Main Stand get wet when it rains, so not my best idea on reflection.

Keith Powell
24-04-2017, 07:06 AM
Another issue is the positioning of disabled supporters at away games I looked after Mandy at Liverpool yesterday was warned by her that we would be in the home end of the ground I find this amazing with the amount of improvement that has been done at anfield that this still happens another supporter along side me said she wouldn't have gone if she had known where they would be sitting .There were no problems when we scored as those able to were of there seats clapping,it was quite an interesting experience but I think it is time the away fans were with there own supporters