PDA

View Full Version : This team is better than we think

Joe1905
23-04-2017, 08:28 PM
This Palace side is a very good side and Souness said as much today.

Just shows what a ******* mess Pardew was making of it !

bolabolabola
23-04-2017, 08:30 PM
If you imagine what Sam can create given a full pre-season and a Summer transfer window, the future for this side could be very bright indeed!

Penstone Eagle
23-04-2017, 08:32 PM
If you imagine what Sam can create given a full pre-season and a Summer transfer window, the future for this side could be very bright indeed!

Agreed

Joe1905
23-04-2017, 08:33 PM

I am very positive we might finally found the right manager to take us forward

Worksop Palace
23-04-2017, 08:35 PM
If we strengthen in certain areas, surely we should have absolutely no relegation concerns next season should we ?

alexcpfc
23-04-2017, 08:39 PM

Pardew had the cheek on goals on Sunday to say that SP should have given him more time.

COYP !

andyocpfc
23-04-2017, 08:40 PM
Is there a link to watch Goals on Sunday? I really want to see what Pards said but couldn't find a thread on here

Worksop Palace
23-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Pardew had the cheek on goals on Sunday to say that SP should have given him more time.

COYP !

Deluded and full of his own self importance I'm afraid

We'd be down now with him in charge

Jim Cannon
23-04-2017, 08:42 PM
If we strengthen in certain areas, surely we should have absolutely no relegation concerns next season should we ?

Pardew thought we had absolutely no relegation concerns THIS season

hdeagle
23-04-2017, 08:44 PM
I am relishing the 6 points against Brighton as Palace are in a different class.

COYP

redeyed
Keep Cabaye and Zaha, sign Sakho. Bring another 4-5 this summer and there is no reason why we cannot emulate what Everton have done this season.

Europa League within the next two seasons if Big Sam stays..

:afro:

cantspell
We have looked a very good side recently

dilem
23-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Based on squads i think we should be somewhere between 8th-12th. Would be remarkable if we achieve that after PArdew did his best to relegate us.

Worksop Palace
23-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Pardew thought we had absolutely no relegation concerns THIS season

Massive gulf in class of manager between pards and big sam

Massive

EagleSE24
23-04-2017, 08:52 PM
The biggest thing for me is that practically every player has improved under Allardyce. It's great to see.

Maz
23-04-2017, 08:52 PM
It always was.

Jim Cannon
23-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Massive gulf in class of manager between pards and big sam

Massive

Totally. On my way home very very happy:lux:

Worksop Palace
23-04-2017, 08:54 PM
Totally. On my way home very very happy:lux:

Go safe Jimbo !

Enjoy 😊

Penstone Eagle
23-04-2017, 08:54 PM
Deluded and full of his own self importance I'm afraid

We'd be down now with him in charge

We would.

He needs to shut up.

Dave
23-04-2017, 08:56 PM
I don't care for Souness

Dave
23-04-2017, 08:59 PM
I am relishing the 6 points against Brighton as Palace are in a different class.

COYP

Nonsense, they have Anthony Knockaert and Glenn Murray

Worksop Palace
23-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Nonsense, they have Anthony Knockaert and Glenn Murray

And Lewis Drunk. Dunk, sorry, Dunk

SJ'sLoveMonkey
23-04-2017, 09:01 PM
I don't care for Souness

I care even less for Pardew

Danny_Cheviot
23-04-2017, 09:08 PM
Next season could be our best since 90/91. Same squad and a few additions - here's hoping.

WhitehorseN76
23-04-2017, 09:13 PM
The biggest thing for me is that practically every player has improved under Allardyce. It's great to see.

This for me as well. Townsend, Cabaye and Benteke look like completely different players. Brilliant

James
23-04-2017, 09:14 PM
This is a logical paradox. If the team is better than we think and we recognise that, then we must think that the team is better than we think it is.

alanlee11
23-04-2017, 09:57 PM

Agree. It's remarkable.

Jim Cannon
23-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Go safe Jimbo !

Enjoy 😊

Cheers, back home now:lux:

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
23-04-2017, 10:56 PM
Agree we have a very good squad - but there are still some significant weaknesses in depth. The defence now looks to have good options if we encounter injuries but if Benteke had got injured this season we'd have been in real trouble. Losing Luka, Wilf or Townsend would also have a massive impact in my opinion.

It is looking good at the moment but that doesn't guarantee anything for the future.

Wolfnipplechips
23-04-2017, 11:01 PM
I don't care for Souness

Agreed.

But my God what a player.

Would walk into any premier league team today.

Old Joe Paxton
24-04-2017, 09:46 AM
Agreed.

But my God what a player.

Would walk into any premier league team today.

Yes indeed. Hard. But wouldn't walk into Galatasaray (?) stadium nor Parkhead

hong_kong_hg
24-04-2017, 09:54 AM
This is a logical paradox. If the team is better than we think and we recognise that, then we must think that the team is better than we think it is.:D

nicknackpalace
24-04-2017, 10:13 AM
This is a logical paradox. If the team is better than we think and we recognise that, then we must think that the team is better than we think it is.

Who cares - I think most people understand what he means without nit-picking the wording of it.

glaziers fan
24-04-2017, 10:22 AM
At the highest level, the margins are fine. One or two acquisitions to improve the balance of the side can make all the difference, and then confidence takes over and momentum is built. But when you have a manager who can organise a side and play to its strengths as well it helps.

Key player for me in terms of transformation is Luka. He allows us to sit deeper and not get picked off. Puncheon is so committed. We have pace on the left side with 2 excellent left-footed left backs. We have Sakho, one of the best centre backs in the league, plus loads of right sided centre back cover - Dann, Tomkins, Kelly. We have players like Cabaye and Townsend on top of their game. But the real reason we are so dangerous are our two world class attackers. Benteke is such a class act, and the best centre forward we've ever had - touch, mobility, superb in the air and a great poacher. And Zaha, well I don't have to say anything, he's moving his game to a new dimension.

Yes, we are a very good side, and we should be competing with Everton for 7th place (or perhaps even higher) next season if we can keep everyone together. All the ingredients are there.

bald-eagle
24-04-2017, 10:28 AM
I see some are already at the very top of the Palace roller coaster again!

Personally I fear we may have to find replacements for both Sakho and Cabeye in the summer as we may not be prepared to pay what Sakho wants and Cabeye may opt for a swan song in France. Hope I'm wrong.

Ardent
24-04-2017, 10:29 AM
er! this thread is making me nervous.

costello
24-04-2017, 10:34 AM
Biggest problem will be retaining players (Wilf, Sakho, Cabaye) rather than signing new ones. The transfer season is going to be mad. Again. Need to get to 40 points asap to be able to start planning.

Payroll Legend
24-04-2017, 11:34 AM
I don't care for Souness

What cos he stamped on Peter Nicholas?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
24-04-2017, 12:22 PM

Personally I fear we may have to find replacements for both Sakho and Cabeye in the summer as we may not be prepared to pay what Sakho wants and Cabeye may opt for a swan song in France. Hope I'm wrong.
I'm at the top of rollercoaster too - but I'm very aware that it will take one if its dips in the near future too!

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
24-04-2017, 12:24 PM
It is true that retaining players may well be a different and difficult task - and we also need to get some better cover for our top 3 and Luka. If we had lost Benteke or Wilf our season would probably have been done. Still need more depth to secure things.

petertaylor11
24-04-2017, 12:37 PM
If the Pardew plug had been pulled in late October (with Sam now available) we'd probably have another 12 points. That would put us about 8th. Right where we should be. The players will perform as expected given the right leadership. Roll on next season!

PalaceRichard
24-04-2017, 01:05 PM
I would say that performances versus the likes of Bournemouth, Boro, Watford and Leicester is what I would think that we are capable of. The results against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are much better than expected, and based on our recent history we may have nabbed a point or at the best 3 points from one of those games.

9 points is amazing and shows how confident, fit and organised the team is these days. I would happily take anywhere mid-table next season which is where our ambitions should be IF we can keep this team together. Keeping even Zaha is going to be a challenge, but signing Sakho permanently is something else altogether, not impossible but unlikely. We have been lucky with no injuries so far to Benteke, Zaha and Townsend, and although I would say the first 15 players are strong (including McArthur, Dann, Wickham and Van Aanholt to the starting 11 yesterday), injuries in certain positions leave us very exposed.

No doubt Allardyce will look to plug the gaps in the summer (keeper, right back cover, number 10 and striker/s), but the last time we started going on about Europe...........

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
24-04-2017, 01:46 PM

We went into the season with;

A top draw striker.
A potentially great winger.
A winger picked for England.
A French International midfielder.
A solid and consistently reliable, Scottish international midfielder.
An England quality center back in Dann. ( some have dismissed him rather quickly but I still think he is superb behind a midfield that shields the defense )
A new goalkeeper of international renown.
A new yet proven CB able to distribute the ball in Tomkins.
A solid right back in Ward.

All of the players above are Premiership quality at minimum and many would walk into the vast majority of Premiership sides. Yet what were we missing?

An AM able to fashion or score more than, let's be generous, TWO goals a season?
A DM able to shield the defense like Jedinak did, let alone distribute the ball so we could structure attacks?
Having sold off Gayle, for back up to Benteke our options were an injury ravaged Wickham, sicknote Remy and Campbell. Benteke not getting injured is a prime reason we weren't dead and buried by January.
ANY cover on the left.

Yes, injuries and car accidents played a part but sometimes life hits you when you invite it to and we did certainly did that. We had no personnel able to create goals except for crosses, ( for a fourth season running ) a system of playing so wedded to that unfortunate reality that it had been rumbled and nullified the previous season. What we needed ( and it was said many times by some here ) was an AM able to supply our shiny new striker, someone to replace Jedinak who could actually pass ( or why did we sell him? ) and reliable cover for LB and ST. We were caught out half the season on the left through injury to Souare. Thankfully Benteke stayed fit so one of Pardew's stupid gambles paid off, although he'd be a 20+ goal striker with a proper AM behind him as well as Wilf and Andros either side.

Pardew did nothing to rectify the glaring holes in our team, gambled on the fitness of Remy at huge financial cost to us, refused to buy an AM that could have made Benteke AND Gayle viable options up front, sold Jedinak and decided he could make us Barcelona with aimless sideways passes in a team that had no one able to make a final ball and in a system still regimented around crosses rather than midfield creativity, anyway. The final joke was that the midfield was now leaving our defense so exposed that the one thing that kept us up last year -our defensive resilience -evaporated along with all confidence. By the time Pardew left, Dann, Delaney, Ward and Hennessey were shadows of the players we have now.

What all this goes to show is that ignoring the deficiencies of three positions ( AM -perennially / DM / LB ) is enough of an anchor to drag an otherwise very good side into the mire, especially when an outmoded and long-nullified system of play is given only cosmetic changes. Had Pardew brought in a DM like Luka to replace Jedinak, we would never have flirted with relegation. Had he brought in a better LB cover, we would also have benefited, although not as much. Buying a quality AM as well as DM would have made us top ten. I'm delighted with Sahko but having Luka alone has made a two from Dann / Kelly / Tomkins or Delaney perfectly adequate as CB pairings.

Pardew screwed us principally by ignoring the midfield. ( which I was one of the warning voices about last summer) BFS rectified that with one signing and reassigning Wilf and Andros' roles in absence of real AM creativity. Good to have a manager who lives in the real world and hopefully he will bring in the back up striker and, finally, the AM that will take us forward in leaps and bounds.

PalaceRichard
24-04-2017, 02:16 PM
2 of the 3 deficiencies have been addressed, and I think for this season Allardyce has got it right in leaving the AM for the summer. Cover is something that I guess is stepped up in level season after season, and you need the right type of player who is actually happy to be a "squad member" at a club like Palace.

I am hoping that if Swansea go down we can go in for Sigurdsson, nail Wilf down to an improved contract and get some genuine cover at striker.

smileysmith
24-04-2017, 02:23 PM
... we'd probably have another 12 points ... That would put us about 8th. Right where we should be ...
:eek:

Stop it. Stop it now.

carter
24-04-2017, 02:26 PM
I've always said this is one of the most talented squads we've ever had they were just awful under Pardew. He didn't know how to get the best out of them. It's like we've signed 11 new players

Joe1905
24-04-2017, 02:44 PM
I read somewhere that to have a squad which is truly established in the Premier league takes 10 transfer windows, so on that basis if we have a season next year where we finish comfortably mid table without flirting with relegation I would suggest that logic is right.

eagle101
24-04-2017, 02:45 PM

A top draw striker.
An England quality center back in Dann. ( some have dismissed him rather quickly but I still think he is superb behind a midfield that shields the defense )

All of the players above are Premiership quality at minimum and many would walk into the vast majority of Premiership sides. Yet what were we missing?

An AM able to fashion or score more than, let's be generous, TWO goals a season?
A DM able to shield the defense like Jedinak did, let alone distribute the ball so we could structure attacks?
Having sold off Gayle, for back up to Benteke our options were an injury ravaged Wickham, sicknote Remy and Campbell. Benteke not getting injured is a prime reason we weren't dead and buried by January.
ANY cover on the left.

Yes, injuries and car accidents played a part but sometimes life hits you when you invite it to and we did certainly did that. We had no personnel able to create goals except for crosses, ( for a fourth season running ) a system of playing so wedded to that unfortunate reality that it had been rumbled and nullified the previous season. What we needed ( and it was said many times by some here ) was an AM able to supply our shiny new striker, someone to replace Jedinak who could actually pass ( or why did we sell him? ) and reliable cover for LB and ST. We were caught out half the season on the left through injury to Souare. Thankfully Benteke stayed fit so one of Pardew's stupid gambles paid off, although he'd be a 20+ goal striker with a proper AM behind him as well as Wilf and Andros either side.

Pardew did nothing to rectify the glaring holes in our team, gambled on the fitness of Remy at huge financial cost to us, refused to buy an AM that could have made Benteke AND Gayle viable options up front, sold Jedinak and decided he could make us Barcelona with aimless sideways passes in a team that had no one able to make a final ball and in a system still regimented around crosses rather than midfield creativity, anyway. The final joke was that the midfield was now leaving our defense so exposed that the one thing that kept us up last year -our defensive resilience -evaporated along with all confidence. By the time Pardew left, Dann, Delaney, Ward and Hennessey were shadows of the players we have now.

What all this goes to show is that ignoring the deficiencies of three positions ( AM -perennially / DM / LB ) is enough of an anchor to drag an otherwise very good side into the mire, especially when an outmoded and long-nullified system of play is given only cosmetic changes. Had Pardew brought in a DM like Luka to replace Jedinak, we would never have flirted with relegation. Had he brought in a better LB cover, we would also have benefited, although not as much. Buying a quality AM as well as DM would have made us top ten. I'm delighted with Sahko but having Luka alone has made a two from Dann / Kelly / Tomkins or Delaney perfectly adequate as CB pairings.

Pardew screwed us principally by ignoring the midfield. ( which I was one of the warning voices about last summer) BFS rectified that with one signing and reassigning Wilf and Andros' roles in absence of real AM creativity. Good to have a manager who lives in the real world and hopefully he will bring in the back up striker and, finally, the AM that will take us forward in leaps and bounds.

I totally agree with you, but just wanted to point out tried to sign Lucas Lima in the summer window, though he would have been a bit of a gamble as an unknown quantity. However, quite why we didn't have anyone else lined up when it became clear he wasn't willing to come is a different story...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
24-04-2017, 03:24 PM
I totally agree with you, but just wanted to point out tried to sign Lucas Lima in the summer window, though he would have been a bit of a gamble as an unknown quantity. However, quite why we didn't have anyone else lined up when it became clear he wasn't willing to come is a different story...

I always felt the Lima approach was half-hearted. We certainly put in a fraction of the time and effort of securing Benteke. As much as I am glad we have the big guy, I said in the summer we would get a fraction of his potential under the then system and midfield and that a top drawer AM and DM with a good striker brought in to supplement Gayle and Wickham made more sense, allowed us to change a failing system of attack and gave us strength in depth. We'll never know how that would have worked out but we certainly saw how things went with the system and midfield under Pardew's reign, even with a fully fit Benteke all season long. I also was certain we would be relegated if Benteke was injured long term, since no one else could turn our one trick pony way of playing into goals. Thankfully, at least that possibility never arose, even if we were left horribly exposed to it.

All in all, Pardew gambled left, right and center and the one gamble that paid off was Benteke stayed fit long enough so that we were only 'dead' but at least not 'buried' when BFS arrived. We'll look back on this season one day and realize how stupid the entire transfer policy and team set up was and how lucky we were not to pay with a relegation. Pardew will always be a legend and we owe Parish everything but the shortsightedness of what has gone on in terms of transfers and playing ethos has been both breathtaking and utterly exposed by the sensible and practical approach since BFS arrived.

Chillo
24-04-2017, 03:28 PM
I don't care for Souness

Leave him at the side of the plate and just eat the greens then.

Chillo
24-04-2017, 03:31 PM
If we had lost Benteke or Wilf our season would probably have been done.

Benteke is on 9 yellows; something we may have to face up to soon (at least for one match).

However, it will be less of an issue now on 38 points than it would have been on 35 points.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
24-04-2017, 03:32 PM
Benteke is on 9 yellows; something we may have to face up to soon (at least for one match).

However, it will be less of an issue now on 38 points than it would have been on 35 points.

Yep and missing one game is far less of an issue than an injury for 2 or 3 months would have been.

Ardent Eagle Forever
24-04-2017, 03:34 PM
Just imagine if benteke and cabaye had buried those three penalties. We'd have 43 points instead of 38.

Lombardo 888
24-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Big Sam little Sam's red'n blue army

Loafster
24-04-2017, 04:12 PM
As much as the latest results have galvanised everyone.
Lose some key players in the summer- I don't think we could ever replace Zaha or Cabaye or Sako with equivalent quality.
Key is to keep what we have and strengthen
Give them all 150k a week, as 6 replacements would not replace them and cost the same.
COYP

CP-RJW
24-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Yes indeed. Hard. But wouldn't walk into Galatasaray (?) stadium nor Parkhead
Fenerbahce mate, they must love him at Galatasaray for that incident!

CP-RJW
24-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Just imagine if benteke and cabaye had buried those three penalties. We'd have 43 points instead of 38.
Pardew probably would've kept his job if we beat Bournemouth and got a draw against the spammers for 3 extra points, so thank god they missed.

Dr Mags
24-04-2017, 04:38 PM
Yep and missing one game is far less of an issue than an injury for 2 or 3 months would have been.

As I understand it the 10 yellow cards are wiped if the 11th is received after the 2nd Sunday in April?

Oli28
24-04-2017, 04:41 PM
Similar comments to those that following our first half-season under Pardew.

smelkus
24-04-2017, 04:46 PM
Good shout on that 2nd Sunday in April rule. Didn't realize that. So we shouldn't have to worry about that at least.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
24-04-2017, 04:53 PM
As I understand it the 10 yellow cards are wiped if the 11th is received after the 2nd Sunday in April?

Good.

Ridcully
24-04-2017, 04:54 PM
As much as the latest results have galvanised everyone.
Lose some key players in the summer- I don't think we could ever replace Zaha or Cabaye or Sako with equivalent quality.
Key is to keep what we have and strengthen
Give them all 150k a week, as 6 replacements would not replace them and cost the same.
COYP

I dunno, I think we can improve on Sako 😉

Palacebear
24-04-2017, 04:55 PM

I really hope you are wrong.

In today's market cabaye was a 'steal' at 10m and would be very difficult to replace without paying a huge transfer fee & wages.

Assuming that we stay up, the first part of the summer transfer dealings needs to be keeping benteke, wilf, cabaye at the club & trying to sign sakho.

We then have to offload some expensive deadwood; Campbell, remy, sako, ledley, mandanda etc. Then we've got to find at least another GK, defender, midfielder, winger, forward.

Looks like SA & SP will be busy!

adrenalin john
24-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Just like we never that good or that poor under Pardew. We are not top 4 currently.

However after Leicester everyone can dream of having an amazing season where everything goes your way.

Sakho and Dann or Sakho and Tomkins are good enough. Luka and Cabaye are good enough, Zaha and Benteke are good enough.

PVA and Townsend could be good enough. Puncheon and Ward are not good enough but are warriors and Palace through and through.

If we could keep what we currently have, add an outstanding goalkeeper and attacking midfielder, have all the luck in the world and no injuries we could, over 38 games, get into the top 4.

Realistially we are 8 - 14 but premier league TV money means we can all dream.

vas
24-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Keep Cabaye and Zaha, sign Sakho. Bring another 4-5 this summer and there is no reason why we cannot emulate what Everton have done this season.

Spot on

Old Bill
24-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Allardyce said in his programme notes a few weeks ago that if he could get every player to improve his performance by 2 per cent, then there would be a 22 per cent improvement in the team's performance. Looks like he's achieved it!

Ridcully
24-04-2017, 05:22 PM
What I'd like would be a similar cup draw to last season under Sams watch and a top ten finish

vas
24-04-2017, 05:27 PM
Losing Cabaye this summer for a fee wouldn`t be the end of the world, it makes good business sense. He will go next summer for free. Signing Sakho and resigning Zaha in my view is vital if we are to progress next season.

Oli28
24-04-2017, 05:59 PM
Allardyce said in his programme notes a few weeks ago that if he could get every player to improve his performance by 2 per cent, then there would be a 22 per cent improvement in the team's performance. Looks like he's achieved it!
That's not mathematically true but I get the point

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
24-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Losing Cabaye this summer for a fee wouldn`t be the end of the world, it makes good business sense. He will go next summer for free. Signing Sakho and resigning Zaha in my view is vital if we are to progress next season.
Think I agree. Would be happy to see him stay but if we get a fee and find a younger player of a similar level it would make sense. There is a limit to what we can spend without selling

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
24-04-2017, 06:08 PM

FFP may be an issue there though. There is a limit to what we can spend without selling.

stevedb55
24-04-2017, 06:10 PM

wouldn't that be a 2% improvement?

Oli28
24-04-2017, 06:11 PM
wouldn't that be a 2% improvement?
Corrrrect

Kevin T
24-04-2017, 06:16 PM
A few weeks back, when things were looking grim, I said to my stepson that it will be a travesty if this Palace side get relegated. Sure, we've been relegated many times from the top flight in my life time, but always when we've been struggling to keep up with the big boys in terms of quality.

If this Palace side went down, it would have been a real low point because as a group of players, we're easily a comfortably mid table, even top 8 side.

Stavros 69
24-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Just like we never that good or that poor under Pardew. We are not top 4 currently.

However after Leicester everyone can dream of having an amazing season where everything goes your way.

Sakho and Dann or Sakho and Tomkins are good enough. Luka and Cabaye are good enough, Zaha and Benteke are good enough.

PVA and Townsend could be good enough. Puncheon and Ward are not good enough but are warriors and Palace through and through.

If we could keep what we currently have, add an outstanding goalkeeper and attacking midfielder, have all the luck in the world and no injuries we could, over 38 games, get into the top 4.

Punch is more than good enough, he has just lost a yard of pace.
I'm sure he'll be more of a squad player next year, but he's more than good enough.

pots1970
24-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Just imagine our team with countinho instead of Punch, we would realistically expect a top 6 finish, just that one magical player away, you never know big Sam might unearth a gem.

hdeagle
24-04-2017, 07:41 PM
A great article predicting good things for Palace.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/24/sam-allardyce-turning-band-of-misfits-into-contenders-again-at-c/

COYP

andyocpfc
24-04-2017, 07:49 PM
It imperative we support Sam in the summer and between Steve Parish and Sam they conjure up a winning formula. I'm sure he must have more faith in Sam than he did with Pardew, based on the Jan window.

Worksop Palace
24-04-2017, 07:54 PM
I'd just like one season in the top flight without having ANY nervousness about going down. Next season will be that season

bodger
24-04-2017, 07:55 PM

We were that poor under AP no doubt we would have been down by now under him.

hdeagle
24-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Social media has woken up to the fact that Palace now have a very good side and many are predicting that Palace will do very well next season.

Other clubs are now waking up to the threat that Palace can pose with some feeling the full impact and hurt of losing to us.

Long may it continue.

COYP

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
24-04-2017, 08:02 PM
A few weeks back, when things were looking grim, I said to my stepson that it will be a travesty if this Palace side get relegated. Sure, we've been relegated many times from the top flight in my life time, but always when we've been struggling to keep up with the big boys in terms of quality.

If this Palace side went down, it would have been a real low point because as a group of players, we're easily a comfortably mid table, even top 8 side.

I was thinking the same thing a couple of weeks ago - if the tough run-in still did for us it would such a waste for the club.

When we went down with Ricky Newman and Bobby Bowry as regulars in our midfield, I had to say 'Yeah, that makes sense' but this time it would have been such a missed opportunity.

cpfc4evandeva
24-04-2017, 08:04 PM
I think it's the same as it has been for a few years - we've got a very good first XI but our squad lacks depth. That's not surprising really as clubs of our size will always struggle to pay a second choice players as much as they can get elsewhere.

The bottom line is that with a decent manager and a bit of luck with injuries, we can certainly challenge for the top half.

hdeagle
24-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Palace can finish in the top half this season as beat Spurs and we go up to 9th place.

COYP

cantspell
24-04-2017, 08:26 PM
I think it's the same as it has been for a few years - we've got a very good first XI but our squad lacks depth. That's not surprising really as clubs of our size will always struggle to pay a second choice players as much as they can get elsewhere.

The bottom line is that with a decent manager and a bit of luck with injuries, we can certainly challenge for the top half.

Just been listening to talksport and there even going on about Spurs lacking depth - reality is can a team afford someone on mega wages who sits on the bench every week

Clapham Rover
24-04-2017, 08:28 PM

A bit of a classic argument this. Personally I think the 94-95 season, when we had Armstrong, Salako, Southgate, Martyn, Coleman, Dean Gordon, Ray Houghton, Bruce Dyer + a few other solid team players like Richard Shaw and Simon Rodger - we were really much too good a squad to get relegated and I think Alan Smith totally screwed it up.

But yes this squad should never have been down near the bottom; Benteke, Zaha, Townsend, Cabaye, when they combine up front are as good as anything outside the top 4 imo, certainly they made Liverpool look average on Sunday.

stumpy feelers
24-04-2017, 08:36 PM
Wow. Fickle football fans everybody.

Halftime Gold
24-04-2017, 08:38 PM

At the front I think were always going to be a little at the mercy of fitness(famous last words but Zaha and Benteke don't seem injury prone) since your talking prices that are too high for us to have backup of the same quality.

Defensively though were obviously not quite as demanding and the backup should really be there but wasn't until we spent this Jan.

Ultimately despite the Benteke buy I do think we tried to do it on the cheap last summer which played a big part in the loss of form when defensive injuries kicked in following that strong early run.

delboy01
24-04-2017, 08:42 PM
I would love us to finish 9th and better our best thus far but they means picking up points against spuds, citeh or the manc's.......... :D

Sleeping Giant
24-04-2017, 08:49 PM
When we went down with Ricky Newman and Bobby Bowry as regulars in our midfield, I had to say 'Yeah, that makes sense' .

I was thinking exactly this a few games back. That was more 94/95 but 92/93 too we had "Bisto Kids" Simon Rodger and Simon Osborn playing many a game. Coleman up front. I mean, come on, desperately unlucky though we were to drop both times.

Danny_Cheviot
24-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Palace can finish in the top half this season as beat Spurs and we go up to 9th place.

COYP

Agree, but we're gonna rotate for Spurs because a confidence dented team under massive pressure to win have had one more day's rest than us and Burnley are turning up at the weekend to be turned over.

East-End Eagle
24-04-2017, 09:39 PM

A top draw striker.

ANY cover on the left.

Pardew screwed us principally by ignoring the midfield. ( which I was one of the warning voices about last summer) BFS rectified that with one signing and reassigning Wilf and Andros' roles in absence of real AM creativity. Good to have a :rolleyes:manager who lives in the real world and hopefully he will bring in the back up striker and, finally, the AM that will take us forward in leaps and bounds.

I think what you are saying is we need an attaxkin midfielder...:D

alexcpfc
24-04-2017, 10:06 PM
I think what you are saying is we need an attaxkin midfielder...:D

Lanzini from the Hampsters would be nice.

cpfc4evandeva
24-04-2017, 10:57 PM
Just been listening to talksport and there even going on about Spurs lacking depth - reality is can a team afford someone on mega wages who sits on the bench every week

Exactly. And to be honest, I don't want us spending loads on squad players. It makes me sick when I think about what wasters like Mutch and Lee 'earn'. I'd love to see the Academy given some funding and effort, and squad players coming directly from there instead of us having to buy all the time.

TAK
24-04-2017, 11:36 PM

Great manager but shit at statistics.

Chris B
25-04-2017, 12:23 AM

Chelsea and Citeh can!

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
25-04-2017, 12:23 AM
It is easy to get carried away when we are getting results like this. But who knows what next season will bring?
I think we should just enjoy this run for what it is (and hopefully we can celebrate officially staying up soon).

But things can change very quickly in football and I don't expect this type of form to continue in to next season (or even the rest of this one).
Hopefully we won't return to our form of the previous 12 months either but the PL will be very tough again next season - those sides who have dropped down the gears a bit recently as they already had points on the board (Stoke, Watford, Bournemouth etc.) will be tougher opponents again and Newcastle and that other side coming up won't be as weak as some of us would like to think either.

We also have to try and keep the core of this squad together over the summer and replace some of the out of contract players who will leave.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
25-04-2017, 12:26 AM
A bit of a classic argument this. Personally I think the 94-95 season, when we had Armstrong, Salako, Southgate, Martyn, Coleman, Dean Gordon, Ray Houghton, Bruce Dyer + a few other solid team players like Richard Shaw and Simon Rodger - we were really much too good a squad to get relegated and I think Alan Smith totally screwed it up.

But yes this squad should never have been down near the bottom; Benteke, Zaha, Townsend, Cabaye, when they combine up front are as good as anything outside the top 4 imo, certainly they made Liverpool look average on Sunday.

But as I said above, in 94-95 we also had Bowry and Newman regularly playing in our midfield, and Darren Pitcher got a fair bit of football too. Rodger was never really a PL level player either, as much as I loved him.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
25-04-2017, 03:04 AM
Wow. Fickle football fans everybody.

Yeah. We didn't suddenly show our full potential. We stopped playing sling -it -in caveman football, brought a proper DM who can PASS and used Wilf and Andros in ways that overcame the fact we have no AM able to create outside of said crosses. In short, we partially fixed the criminally neglected midfield and outmoded tactics that led us here in the first place. ( Exactly like some of us have been saying for awhile now. ) Improving the left side definitely helped too but the midfield improvements and change of playing style has revolutionized us right throughout the team, even making Tomkins and Kelly fully viable CB options, with or without Sahko.

Benteke, Wilf, Andros, Cabaye, Tomkins ( and yes, Dann, when he isn't being exposed by the kamikaze midfield set up we had before -how quickly those fickle among us have forgotten him ) were always players too good to be at the bottom of the table. It's amazing how much easier it is for them to show that quality when they are supported by a proper midfield balance and tactics representing football in the twenty-first century. Got there at last. I'm even believing now that we may really show how much we finally value our midfield by getting in a genuine AM.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
26-04-2017, 01:06 PM

Not sure about top four. Teams would likely respect us more and make it tougher to hit on the counter, although that is the purpose of a proper AM coming in, of course. Mustn't forget other teams can strengthen too and get the magic formula right. But I'd say top eight is feasible with the ideal scenario you've outlined. I'd add that we need a back up ST and DM too.

daverambo2
26-04-2017, 01:19 PM
Exactly. And to be honest, I don't want us spending loads on squad players. It makes me sick when I think about what wasters like Mutch and Lee 'earn'. I'd love to see the Academy given some funding and effort, and squad players coming directly from there instead of us having to buy all the time.

This.

Sir.S.C Remembered
26-04-2017, 01:28 PM
All mid-table squads have weaknesses in their team, as do we. But on paper I make us around 8-10th best. Hence why we were so underperforming.

palacea
26-04-2017, 01:29 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10850678/andros-townsend-at-heart-of-crystal-palace-transformation

Andros Townsend Stats and his comments that he wasn't fit enough under Pardew.

Which tells part of the issues under Pardew. We entered the season unfit, in terrible state and ended up conceding goals all over in the place near the end of halves.

JHJ EAGLE
26-04-2017, 01:47 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10850678/andros-townsend-at-heart-of-crystal-palace-transformation

Andros Townsend Stats and his comments that he wasn't fit enough under Pardew.

Which tells part of the issues under Pardew. We entered the season unfit, in terrible state and ended up conceding goals all over in the place near the end of halves.

I'm not an AP hater or lover but after listening to Andros's comments it comes over as pretty damning of Pardew's training regime.

stevedb55
26-04-2017, 01:57 PM
To be honest, the lack of fitness was very obvious. Our fitness levels through the team seemed much worse this season than last though, as if pre season was just an extended holiday for Palace. You don't stay in this league with that sort of attitude and (lack of) professionalism.

Hector
26-04-2017, 02:13 PM
I have high hopes for next season but our hand is never far away from the self destruct button.

palacea
26-04-2017, 03:08 PM
I'm not an AP hater or lover but after listening to Andros's comments it comes over as pretty damning of Pardew's training regime.

It sounds like training was just a laugh, and they didn't actually work on much. Crazy.

Latvian Eagle
26-04-2017, 03:38 PM
Whilst I agree with the seniment. A lot of what people are saying in here is exactly what was being said after Pardews first half a season in charge.

I won't get over excited just yet.

redeagle
26-04-2017, 03:38 PM
Fitness is much more about pre-season. If the right levels of fitness are reached then matches and basic training should maintain it during th season. I thought I heard somewhere that due to Pardew deciding we needed to change to a more possession based game he cut short the fitness training to focus on ball work. With hindsight this appears like a Hollowayesque school boy error.

El Aguila
26-04-2017, 04:55 PM
Whilst I agree with the seniment. A lot of what people are saying in here is exactly what was being said after Pardews first half a season in charge.

For once, I agree with you.

Nostrils
26-04-2017, 05:27 PM

The major differences will be (if it were to go pear shaped) the players would all be fit and there would be the correct amount of players for each position when he left. I also can't see Allardyce taking his eye off of the proverbial ball either.