PDA

View Full Version : Liverpools new main stand

elgin eagle
24-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Please God we never get anything like that at Selhurst. About the only positive I can say about it was it kept the wind out. Fecking expensive silent windbreak though.

jmemour
24-04-2017, 11:00 AM
What was so bad about it? I think it's exactly the same thing SP has planned for our Main Stand.

elgin eagle
24-04-2017, 11:02 AM
What was so bad about it? I think it's exactly the same thing SP has planned for our Main Stand.

It was filled with mutes, miles from the pitch.

Pinkie Brown
24-04-2017, 11:02 AM
From a TV perspective the camera position is terrible, it was nearly as bad a watching West Ham at the Olympic stadium. Way to high up and far away.

What was the issue in the ground?

elgin eagle
24-04-2017, 11:05 AM
From a TV perspective the camera position is terrible, it was nearly as bad a watching West Ham at the Olympic stadium. War to high up and far away.

Agreed.

Pinkie Brown
24-04-2017, 11:06 AM
It was filled with mutes, miles from the pitch.

It has always been shit, I remember my first visit to Anfield, lost 5-0, early 90's. I was more disappointed by the lack of atmosphere than the result. Having grown up with the media perception of the Kops colour and noise it is was absolutely shit. We made more noise walking back through Stanley Park to the car, having just lost 5-0!!

Richard
24-04-2017, 11:07 AM
From a TV perspective the camera position is terrible, it was nearly as bad a watching West Ham at the Olympic stadium. Way to high up and far away.A bigger crime than that is that they haven't sorted out the overall so that it is one of those grounds that, on a sunny day, the picture is either to bright or too dark.

glaziers fan
24-04-2017, 11:08 AM
The stands are steep so the fans are close to the pitch. If they didn't have a bunch of tourists and actually had more proper supporters they could generate a decent atmosphere. I was impressed with the stand to be honest.

jmemour
24-04-2017, 11:11 AM
It has always been shit, I remember my first visit to Anfield, lost 5-0, early 90's. I was more disappointed by the lack of atmosphere than the result. Having grown up with the media perception of the Kops colour and noise it is was absolutely shit. We made more noise walking back through Stanley Park to the car, having just lost 5-0!!

Agreed. Liverpool is literally the quietest ground I've been to, the whole YNWA/Kop atmosphere stuff is a myth. Even when they score it's a polite round of applause rather than a celebration. I'd be embarrassed if I was a Liverpool fan.

elgin eagle
24-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Not sure it was worth the demolition of an entire community, glaziers fan. Looks nice from the outside though, so that's ok, even if it has all the qualities of a library inside.

Wolfnipplechips
24-04-2017, 11:14 AM
My 10 year old lad sat on the home end sofa with his Scouse mum yesterday.

My daughter and I were on the away sofa with all the best refreshments.

Their support was ******* dreadful. Embarrassing and we let them know.:D:lux:

Shipsisourking
24-04-2017, 11:14 AM
The ground as a whole is now full of happy clappy type fans. The scouse atmosphere was none existent and if you compare the fans in that stand to the baggies then it's like picking Louie Spence before Ray Winstone in a whose the toughest cockney competition. Shockingly shit from the scouse.

Seba
24-04-2017, 11:19 AM
From a TV perspective the camera position is terrible, it was nearly as bad a watching West Ham at the Olympic stadium. Way to high up and far away.

What was the issue in the ground?

Pretty sure the old tv position was worse. If the ball went into one of the near side corners, you saw part of the roof.

CP-RJW
24-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Wait so was the stand really the problem or was it just the silent scousers/tourists? Was at the match and heard nothing from them besides a polite applause after they scored, better atsmosphere at Stamford Bridge.

Seba
24-04-2017, 11:24 AM
A bigger crime than that is that they haven't sorted out the overall so that it is one of those grounds that, on a sunny day, the picture is either to bright or too dark.

What do you mean by this? If you are talking about the shadow cast by a stand, meaning that the tv cameras have to adjust exposure momentarily when play moves from one area to another, well this happens at most grounds.

Selhurst is also a pain for this, especially with a low Winter sun and 3pm KO. Lens flare all over the place, both for tv and pitchside photographers.

Dorking .Eagle
24-04-2017, 11:35 AM
I thought it was impressive. You could see from the sheer hulk of it, that it must be rammed with floor after floor of restaurants, bars and other corporate facilities.

Yes their fans were quiet, but they always are when we play there.

I would imagine that the upgrade of our Main Stand would be more like their Centenary Stand - a row of boxes halfway up, then a chunky upper tier, and a decent roof over the whole lot. And of course as many lounges and restaurants as can be squeezed underneath.

mcmean
24-04-2017, 11:38 AM
the engineering of it is actually rather impressive, and exactly the sort of thing we should look to do given we can't move ground when we expand (i.e. building over the back and top of the stand)

elgin eagle
24-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Wait so was the stand really the problem or was it just the silent scousers/tourists? Was at the match and heard nothing from them besides a polite applause after they scored, better atsmosphere at Stamford Bridge.

The angle is all wrong. Who the feck wants to be that far from the pitch?? Probably a bit of both. Surely there must be a better way.

Richard
24-04-2017, 11:44 AM
What do you mean by this? If you are talking about the shadow cast by a stand, meaning that the tv cameras have to adjust exposure momentarily when play moves from one area to another, well this happens at most grounds.

Selhurst is also a pain for this, especially with a low Winter sun and 3pm KO. Lens flare all over the place, both for tv and pitchside photographers.

Yes I do, but I can really only think of St. James Park that is that bad. Perhaps it is because the sun so rarely shines on British stadia !

The problem at Selhurst is mainly that the television gantry is on the wrong side of the pitch so that on a sunny day, the players are always in shadow. One thing I am very much hoping for from the new Main Stand is that they will move the television gantry to that side of the pitch.

As, no doubt, are the supporters at the back of the Arthur Wait ...

elgin eagle
24-04-2017, 11:49 AM
the engineering of it is actually rather impressive, and exactly the sort of thing we should look to do given we can't move ground when we expand (i.e. building over the back and top of the stand)

I couldn't disagree more. Expensive? Tick. Silent? Tick. Soulless? Tick. Fecking miles from pitch? Tick.

maestro
24-04-2017, 11:51 AM
I said when I saw pics of it being built that it bloody miles away from the pitch

Dorking .Eagle
24-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Fecking miles from pitch? Tick.

Really? Was close enough for a player for fall into someone's lap in the front row! And you need to leave space for the players to warm up

Vince Hilaire's Afro
24-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Terraced Stretford End, Anfield Kop, Roker Roar etc... All memories from a bygone age!

Even Arsenal's North Bank, Tottenham's shelf, Victoria Ground, the Shed and clubs you'd never think ever made any noise like Boro used to create a decent atmosphere at Ayresome Park.

I'm not a hater of modern football, the game has changed and become more accessible for families and such, but I'm glad I was there for some of those old atmospheres.

Halfwayline
24-04-2017, 12:10 PM
I thought it was impressive. You could see from the sheer hulk of it, that it must be rammed with floor after floor of restaurants, bars and other corporate facilities.

Yes their fans were quiet, but they always are when we play there.

I would imagine that the upgrade of our Main Stand would be more like their Centenary Stand - a row of boxes halfway up, then a chunky upper tier, and a decent roof over the whole lot. And of course as many lounges and restaurants as can be squeezed underneath.

I do believe now that 50% of the Directors' Box is now Corporate Hospitality and Sponsor's Seating, with 2 additionally expensive "2010 Lounges" for Home fans. You can see when BBC/Sky or BT show the second half kick off that most of the seats are empty. Like Wembley, it takes ages for them to get to the ground floor restaurants and bars down one staircase order their drinks/food and return. I regularly get the row in front om (Sponsor's seats) returning in the 53rd minute. There are mainly non-Palace fans.

Wolfnipplechips
24-04-2017, 12:16 PM
I said when I saw pics of it being built that it bloody miles away from the pitch

Not as far as you though eh?:D

Chillo
24-04-2017, 12:17 PM
Really? Was close enough for a player for fall into someone's lap in the front row! And you need to leave space for the players to warm up

Coutinho? - that was part of the old stand; the upper extension is miles away from the pitch and too steep. I wouldn't want to be up there in the gods - far too much like St. James's park.

CPFC_Fan
24-04-2017, 12:19 PM
Speaking to 2 Liverpool fans on the train home yesterday and they are embarrassed with their supporters and the lack of noise.

sherstonpalace
24-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Speaking to 2 Liverpool fans on the train home yesterday and they are embarrassed with their supporters and the lack of noise.

I was astounded by how many of them left with 7 or 8 minutes to go. They must have known there would be plenty of injury time, so they still had at least 12 or 13 minutes to score a goal that might have meant a champion's league spot. No wonder their players' morale seemed to be battered in the last 10 minutes.

DryRubber
24-04-2017, 12:43 PM

Snap. That was my first vist there and I thought the same. I think it was John Barns return from a spell out to. Crap atmosphere and just media hype that it's any good.

Thefunkymonk
24-04-2017, 12:49 PM
Ours will never be that big

scro
24-04-2017, 01:03 PM
Snap. That was my first vist there and I thought the same. I think it was John Barns return from a spell out to. Crap atmosphere and just media hype that it's any good.

The trouble is of course we are usually judging the atmosphere at these places in a big game for us and a nothing routine game for them. I imagine when gerrard smashes in a last minute champions league goal it gets a little more exciting. Let's not forget how flat selhurst was against leicester after the highs of the week before against arsenal.

I thought they made an ok noise for steven gerrard the year before. I still think it's an ok ground for atmosphere when they manage to get one going. Much like stamford bridge and old trafford are. I feel for the likes of chelsea and spurs to an extent as it feels like they might be losing great stadiums for new grounds they might well struggle to get going.

elgin eagle
24-04-2017, 01:04 PM

Are you trying to whoosh me dorking?

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
24-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Ours will never be that big

Speak for yourself.

elgin eagle
24-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Coutinho? - that was part of the old stand; the upper extension is miles away from the pitch and too steep. I wouldn't want to be up there in the gods - far too much like St. James's park.

Exactly. I understand Spurs knocked KSS architects back as it was a poor, expensive, design. Much better solutions and designs are out there imho.

Dedders
24-04-2017, 02:54 PM
Quietest stand I have ever seen

west eagle
24-04-2017, 03:12 PM
looks really old fashioned already, must be a master plan somewhere to extend the ground as there are hundreds of seats that face the anfield road end and not the pitch.
I think the engineering solution was fantastic but what had been built is not great.