PDA

View Full Version : Press Conference Live: Pre-Tottenham Tuesday 2:30pm

EddieEdwards
25-04-2017, 07:57 AM
http://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/watch-big-sam-look-ahead-to-the-match-against-tottenham-hotspur-from-2.30pm-on-tuesday.-3691166.aspx

Summary from club Twitter feed here (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?p=13594269#post13594269).

regal_eagle
25-04-2017, 01:27 PM
Drumroll please...

Maidstoned Eagle
25-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Bbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttt

DARZET EAGLE
25-04-2017, 01:32 PM
Is Sam appearing in his Superman suit?

Maidstoned Eagle
25-04-2017, 01:33 PM
arPCgCt1ylQ

regal_eagle
25-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Couldn't stand it any longer. Had to refresh.

regal_eagle
25-04-2017, 01:35 PM
The Big Man Cometh.

jhc
:(Doubt that Tomkins will be back this season

dmf73
Tomkins serious injury, not broken - doubt to be back by the end of the season.

EagleSE24
25-04-2017, 01:36 PM
Tomkins out for the season :( :veryangry

Heath eagle
25-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Christ two main cb out now

squelchy18
25-04-2017, 01:40 PM
Christ two main cb out now
Luckily Kelly has been playing really well and Sakho is available again.

firstgame63cpfc
25-04-2017, 01:40 PM
I like Sam.

regal_eagle
25-04-2017, 01:41 PM
For a big guy, he's good with his teeth.

EagleSE24
25-04-2017, 01:53 PM
No closer to knowing whether we'll rotate. Keep Spurs guessing.

EddieEdwards
25-04-2017, 02:02 PM
Bottom up...

That's it from Big Sam. Thanks for following. The full video will be on http://eagles.cpfc.co.uk very shortly. #CPFC

SA: Coming back against Leicester was another indication of our mental strength. We need to fight for that extra yard against THFC.

SA: The big surprise for me was the Arsenal game... We destroyed them. I've never destroyed an Arsenal team like that.

SA: If we hadn't won 3 on the trot before CFC we'd be dead & buried. We've got the hardest run-in and wins are boosting confidence.

SA: Developing players in this country has become one of the hardest jobs clubs face. Hard to find the Allis of this world sadly.

SA: Son, Kane and Alli have been in such good goalscoring form we need to master that side of their game.

SA: I'm good friends with Karl Robinson & his words are that Dele Alli is "the best he's ever seen." Liverpool's loss, Spurs' gain.

SA: I hope the confidence and the will and determination of my players means we put up the same fight against Spurs.

SA: It's probably the best spell I've had as a manager, in terms of an 8-game period, given who we've beaten and how we've done it.

SA: Wilfried Zaha's getting closer and closer to the final product. I think he can find himself even more if he stays here.

SA: Mama asked to come with the boys. Most players wouldn't do that if they weren't in the squad.

SA: Find it difficult that we're not allowed to celebrate these days. Those 2 have bonded and Mama's helped Chris since arriving.

SA: Chris had a resurgence of confidence after scoring for Belgium. Been our only regularly fit striker & done a magnificent job.

SA: We can't take our foot off the gas and think we've done it. That's how we beat West Brom, they hit 40 points and relaxed.

SA: Some of the best results I've had in my long career as a Premier League manager, Chelsea and Liverpool away, Arsenal at home.

SA: We've needed that good form to get out of trouble and we're still not mathematically out of it. Shows players fight and desire.

SA: The players in our squad are hugely experienced Premier League footballers. Lots of players on the bench with experience too.

SA: Spurs are in top form at the moment, so it's a big question that needs answering - do we put fresh legs in or keep the same XI.

SA: I think he (Grujic) was lucky to get a yellow, he wasn't in control and hit just above the ankle.

SA: Bad injury for Tomkins. Very pleased there's nothing broken given the nature of the tackle. May not be fit again this season.

The gaffer's arrived for his pre-Spurs press conference. Tune in for free at http://eagles.cpfc.co.uk now! #CPFC

andyocpfc
25-04-2017, 02:05 PM
Stupid question asking Sam about what and if he's got a bonus for keeping us up. That's private and certainly not something that should be aired to the world. None of his or our business. Tosser reporter.

Top man is our Sam.

viking's no1
25-04-2017, 02:16 PM
That must be one of his longest press conferences.

Scifo
25-04-2017, 02:48 PM
I like Sam.

I'm a fan of Sam and he was my first choice for manager, but the only thing I miss about Pardew is the press conferences.

Sam is capable of some very funny lines and I'm sure he's good for a pint but going from the razzmatazz of Pardew to the drawn out, do I still have to be here, of Allardyce means they've gotten hard to sit through until the end

hdeagle
25-04-2017, 02:53 PM
He has cutely not revealed what team Palace will be playing against Spurs who also must have one eye on playing their old enemy Arsenal at the weekend.

COYP

Martin H
25-04-2017, 03:03 PM
Certainly got his swagger back now hasn't he? TBH I used to hate listening to him when he was like this at his previous clubs but TBH it's not so bad when it's your club :D

Will be interesting to see how the summer pans out with BFS. When he first came and during his first few interviews I didn't think there was a lot of chance of him staying past the end of this season whatever happened relegation wise. I am not sure even now TBH but I think there is more chance now of him sticking around now than there was back then. As ever it will depend on the level of backing that he can get from the 'Board/Investors' and to some extent how many of the best players see their next season as being here. The latter defines quite how much has to be spent - an obscene amount or an unbelievably obscene amount! It's always a house of cards. If a top player leaves, another gets wind or their agent has more leverage and then the Manager is footloose because he can't see how he can succeed. There really IS a limit on how much we can afford and so it goes on. Also unless we sell someone at a huge profit then we are likely to run into FFP issues (because profit swells the amount we can spend as well as our cash pot). I know it's easy for us to wave our hands and say - give 'him' whatever he wants but its not an option.

Anyway - back to press conference. Nice one. Sounds as if we will play a few more first teamers than I had thought from his last one but who knows. I am not fussed either way really. I can see the point in resting some key players for Saturday so that we can finish the job mathematically and concentrate 100% on next season which I doubt they will risk until maths say so.

AddiscombeEagle
25-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Nice dig at Pulis as well.

andyocpfc
25-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Has anyone noticed that in every press conference Sam fits a "like, you mean" in. What does that mean? :D

adrenalin john
25-04-2017, 03:40 PM
SA: Mama asked to come with the boys. Most players wouldn't do that if they weren't in the squad.

That passed me by on Sunday, very positive in terms of squad spirit and even more so in terms of Sakho's attitude.

Moreover, unlike Pulis, I think BFS is beginning to really warm to Palace.

He has an enormous ego (not a bad thing in a football manager) but - again unlike Pulis - he also has a heart and I get the feeling he could become 'one of us'

T.C.
25-04-2017, 03:50 PM
Has anyone noticed that in every press conference Sam fits a "like, you mean" in. What does that even mean? :D

Why have you included a superfluous 'even'

andyocpfc
25-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Why have you included a superfluous 'even'

Sorry. Edited accordingly. Although if we're being picky, I could ask where your question mark is, as I assume you were asking me a question?

N Herts Eagle
25-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Certainly got his swagger back now hasn't he? TBH I used to hate listening to him when he was like this at his previous clubs but TBH it's not so bad when it's your club :D

Will be interesting to see how the summer pans out with BFS. When he first came and during his first few interviews I didn't think there was a lot of chance of him staying past the end of this season whatever happened relegation wise. I am not sure even now TBH but I think there is more chance now of him sticking around now than there was back then. As ever it will depend on the level of backing that he can get from the 'Board/Investors' and to some extent how many of the best players see their next season as being here. The latter defines quite how much has to be spent - an obscene amount or an unbelievably obscene amount! It's always a house of cards. If a top player leaves, another gets wind or their agent has more leverage and then the Manager is footloose because he can't see how he can succeed. There really IS a limit on how much we can afford and so it goes on. Also unless we sell someone at a huge profit then we are likely to run into FFP issues (because profit swells the amount we can spend as well as our cash pot). I know it's easy for us to wave our hands and say - give 'him' whatever he wants but its not an option.

Anyway - back to press conference. Nice one. Sounds as if we will play a few more first teamers than I had thought from his last one but who knows. I am not fussed either way really. I can see the point in resting some key players for Saturday so that we can finish the job mathematically and concentrate 100% on next season which I doubt they will risk until maths say so. Strangely some of our greatest successes can be seen to follow some of our greatest defeats. Coppell post the 9-0 Liverpool changed the side and took us forward, Freedman and Bristol City and the car park meeting. Sams seems to me is Sunderland since then players fans and Sam himself have come together as one behind the club. What is frightening with this team if we can hold it together is how far it can go. Thats why I think he will stay.

newish eagle
25-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Any news on whether Remy had had another setback?

#niceworkifyoucangetit

maestro
25-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Any news on whether Remy had had another setback?

#niceworkifyoucangetit

Pulled his arse going for a shit, out for a month

newish eagle
25-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Pulled his arse going for a shit, out for a month
That's a bummer. Not unexpected though.

Mictor Voses
25-04-2017, 05:14 PM
Strangely some of our greatest successes can be seen to follow some of our greatest defeats. Coppell post the 9-0 Liverpool changed the side and took us forward, Freedman and Bristol City and the car park meeting. Sams seems to me is Sunderland since then players fans and Sam himself have come together as one behind the club. What is frightening with this team if we can hold it together is how far it can go. Thats why I think he will stay.

Where on Earth is it being suggested he will leave?

N Herts Eagle
25-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Where on Earth is it being suggested he will leave? In the post I quoted !
Though I agree with Martin the early interviews were not convincing that Sam was here for the long term.

Eagle's Away
25-04-2017, 05:54 PM
Moreover, unlike Pulis, I think BFS is beginning to really warm to Palace. He has an enormous ego (not a bad thing in a football manager) but - again unlike Pulis - he also has a heart and I get the feeling he could become 'one of us'

I tend to agree. I think the job Sam enjoyed the most was his time at Bolton and he may be beginning to see us in a similar vein. A community club with loyal fans, a chairman with a genuine passion for the team, loud & noisy supporters, a big catchment area and the potential to do really well. Plus some serious American money to take the club onwards if he can provide the results on the pitch. I think the fact that those people also respect him and trust his judgement will play well too - something I suspect he did not have at West Ham.

We have been crying out for a decent manager that could build the club and create a dynasty. I thought that person might be Pulis but he clearly had no affinity for the place and actually I think we have actually got someone better in Sam. I am currently in a very happy place.

hdeagle
25-04-2017, 06:19 PM
The media still think that Palace can be bullied into what they suggest and last week their were rumours of Sam Allardyce needing to move from Palace to one of the big boys in the Premier League.

This rumour has the same bad smell as them saying that Zaha needs to move.

I would take virtually every rumour printed regarding Palace with a huge pinch of salt especially if it has no official source.

They still treat us as cash-strapped little Palace and refuse to accept that we can compete and grow as a club.

They have their own agendas and rigidly refuse to accept change when it comes to Crystal Palace FC.

COYP

Pistol Knight
25-04-2017, 06:20 PM
j4MXo7cW_e0

Se9 eagles
25-04-2017, 06:36 PM
The media still think that Palace can be bullied into what they suggest and last week their were rumours of Sam Allardyce needing to move from Palace to one of the big boys in the Premier League.

I would take virtually every rumour printed regarding Palace with a huge pinch of salt especially if it has no official source.

They still treat us as cash-strapped little Palace and refuse to accept that we can compete and grow as a club.

They have their own agendas and rigidly refuse to accept change when it comes to Crystal Palace FC.

COYP
Totally agree and it's a shame that so many of our fans believe it.Im sure Sam,Parish,the Americans and our players are more positive than some of the bed wetters on here.Part of being a bigger club,albeit a small part,is the fans perception of who we are.Personally it pisses me right off:veryangry.

Jim Cannon
25-04-2017, 06:40 PM
Moreover, unlike Pulis, I think BFS is beginning to really warm to Palace.

Yes, I am getting that impression too. We need him and he needs us too. It's a better fit than I thought it would be. I knew he would keep us up, but doubted whether he would like it here much

regal_eagle
25-04-2017, 07:04 PM
Isn't it nice of us re-building his shattered reputation?!
Mind you, it was nice of him to repair ours too!

After he gets his 1st win at Anfield in 14 attempts, and goes on the best run of his managerial career, he'll NEVER leave! Who am I kidding? When that Top4-branded chewing gum arrives in the post he'll be off quicker than you can say HubbaBubba :vader:

Bizarro
25-04-2017, 07:32 PM
So which top 4 club is Sam going to then? Replace Wenger? The fans would go mental.

regal_eagle
25-04-2017, 07:33 PM
So which top 4 club is Sam going to then? Replace Wenger? The fans would go mental.

He's big enough for all 4 simultaneously.

elgin eagle
25-04-2017, 07:54 PM

Anyway - back to press conference. Nice one. Sounds as if we will play a few more first teamers than I had thought from his last one but who knows. I am not fussed either way really. I can see the point in resting some key players for Saturday so that we can finish the job mathematically and concentrate 100% on next season which I doubt they will risk until maths say so.

Yeah, always felt like that about Pulis, Warnock and Pardew as well :) Hope he doesn't suffer the same fall from grace as them 3 in the future, although I suppose it is inevitable at some point down the line. It's been as good a recovery as Pulises or Pardew's hasn't it, even with the benefit of the huge transfer window budget. Some excellent purchases and some great management by the pair of them. A+ after a shaky start.

Worksop Palace
25-04-2017, 08:05 PM
Yeah, always felt like that about Pulis, Warnock and Pardew as well :) Hope he doesn't suffer the same fall from grace as them 3 in the future, although I suppose it is inevitable at some point down the line. It's been as good a recovery as Pulises or Pardew's hasn't it, even with the benefit of the huge transfer window budget. Some excellent purchases and some great management by the pair of them. A+ after a shaky start.

Bet Big Sam has a parlour

Bet you a chicken and bacon baguette

old traf
25-04-2017, 08:07 PM
You like to write elegant and in depth posts, so how about giving Sam some RESPECT,his initials are S.A. Not BFS

Anyway - back to press conference. Nice one. Sounds as if we will play a few more first teamers than I had thought from his last one but who knows. I am not fussed either way really. I can see the point in resting some key players for Saturday so that we can finish the job mathematically and concentrate 100% on next season which I doubt they will risk until maths say so.[/QUOTE]

Lombardo's hair
25-04-2017, 10:20 PM

COYP

The media attitude is the same about football in general. They still consider African teams as 3rd World minnows. Unless a club has a successful history or a national team has won world cup or European cup they are dismissed. They are dinosaurs.

Martin H
26-04-2017, 12:36 AM
You like to write elegant and in depth posts, so how about giving Sam some RESPECT,his initials are S.A. Not BFS

LOL - Not sure quite how serious that is but 'Sam' has been BFS to me for years and years and it's a nickname not a description. For a start, I live in a glass house on this one :) and if I was calling him names I would probably start somewhere else :)

I haven't checked back but I have noticed that in a few recent posts I have used Sam or SA a couple of times but it feels like I am talking about someone else. Anyway, he is our BFS now! I am not using it as a derogatory term.

Re the posts, they get a bit long because I am typically still thinking it through while writing - oops :)

orp pisshead1
26-04-2017, 12:45 AM
LOL - Not sure quite how serious that is but 'Sam' has been BFS to me for years and years and it's a nickname not a description. For a start, I live in a glass house on this one :) and if I was calling him names I would probably start somewhere else :)

I haven't checked back but I have noticed that in a few recent posts I have used Sam or SA a couple of times but it feels like I am talking about someone else. Anyway, he is our BFS now! I am not using it as a derogatory term.

Re the posts, they get a bit long because I am typically still thinking it through while writing - oops :)

Ignore the Manc :jerkit:( look at user name:veryangry)
As if SA would ever be offended ffs.

elgin eagle
26-04-2017, 05:50 AM
Bet Big Sam has a parlour

Bet you a chicken and bacon baguette

:)

Can't see him having lawns though. Maybe a patio, possibly with a barbecue.

glaziers fan
26-04-2017, 07:33 AM

Big Sam won't be going anywhere, surely? He will see the talent in the squad, and you can hardly say the recent results (the best in his managerial career) are a fluke? He set us up hard to beat, brought in balance with left sided defenders and a genuine holding mid, has got the best out of Townsend and is giving Zaha more freedom to affect games. The results are not a co-incidence. We are a club genuinely on the up, not just one going through a purple patch.

Who knows what will happen in the summer. But it is my understanding that Parish won't let our stars leave without a fight, and that the Americans are prepared to invest. Things like Sakho a) travelling up to Anfield and b) celebrating with Benteke shows that we have a chance of assembling a serious squad with top eight capability. Let's not also forget that even Pardew had us in the top 5 with the same core players (minus Sakho and Benteke) before he chose to not concern himself about lining up a replacement for Souare or suring up a leaky centre mid decimated by injuries and bereft of confidence. This group is seriously talented.

As for FFP, again my understanding is that because TV deal is worth 150m that spend on transfer fees, even as inflated as they are, is almost irrelevant. What can hold teams back is wages can only increase by 10% year on year. But hopefully with a lot of wages disappearing in the summer we will be ok. Sakho, Zaha, and a couple of others should be possible. And that would give us a great chance of competing at the top of the league, barring bad luck and injuries to key players.

Payroll Legend
26-04-2017, 07:50 AM
I would LOVE IT if we got a draw with them. LOVE IT

glaziers fan
26-04-2017, 07:54 AM
I would LOVE IT if we got a draw with them. LOVE IT

to be fair a draw would probably be enough to dismantle their premiership title hopes once and for all. bring it on. (hope we don't make too many changes.)

BaldEagle96
26-04-2017, 08:01 AM
to be fair a draw would probably be enough to dismantle their premiership title hopes once and for all. bring it on. (hope we don't make too many changes.)

With Chelsea winning last night their title hopes are shot already!

As much as I would love Spurs to win the title I really can't hope for anything other than a Palace win/draw tonight. Looking forward to the game though as in their day Spurs are breathtaking to watch!

Martin H
26-04-2017, 08:23 AM
Big Sam won't be going anywhere, surely? He will see the talent in the squad, and you can hardly say the recent results (the best in his managerial career) are a fluke? He set us up hard to beat, brought in balance with left sided defenders and a genuine holding mid, has got the best out of Townsend and is giving Zaha more freedom to affect games. The results are not a co-incidence. We are a club genuinely on the up, not just one going through a purple patch.

Who knows what will happen in the summer. But it is my understanding that Parish won't let our stars leave without a fight, and that the Americans are prepared to invest. Things like Sakho a) travelling up to Anfield and b) celebrating with Benteke shows that we have a chance of assembling a serious squad with top eight capability. Let's not also forget that even Pardew had us in the top 5 with the same core players (minus Sakho and Benteke) before he chose to not concern himself about lining up a replacement for Souare or suring up a leaky centre mid decimated by injuries and bereft of confidence. This group is seriously talented.

As for FFP, again my understanding is that because TV deal is worth 150m that spend on transfer fees, even as inflated as they are, is almost irrelevant. What can hold teams back is wages can only increase by 10% year on year. But hopefully with a lot of wages disappearing in the summer we will be ok. Sakho, Zaha, and a couple of others should be possible. And that would give us a great chance of competing at the top of the league, barring bad luck and injuries to key players.

Probably should be in another summer thread somewhere as this topic is complex and will run but...

When I started that post I was commenting more that I thought he was more likely to stay than it looked/felt when he first arrived. But it dawned on me again as I was writing how fragile these things can be and how easy it is to tip it over and I rambled on again :)

Performances by our better players against top opposition and the results themselves will undoubtedly motivate player and club agents and build pressure. BFS has his swagger back and his reputation reinforced after the England debacle and will want to build on that. If that looks possible here (squad retention and improvement - ) then he stays as you say, why leave? The do worry me. We have quite a few players to move on out of choice but there is also risk to some of our better players. If that doesn't start well or maybe even worse drags on at risk then doubts are raised etc. Just glad I am not SP because it's a tough window again.

Del Fenner
26-04-2017, 08:35 AM

Cockstanbull.

Maidstoned Eagle
26-04-2017, 08:38 AM
Too much over confidence on here.

Payroll Legend
26-04-2017, 08:47 AM
Too much over confidence on here.

Not from me. Spurs are a bloody good side.

glaziers fan
26-04-2017, 09:19 AM
Probably should be in another summer thread somewhere as this topic is complex and will run but...

When I started that post I was commenting more that I thought he was more likely to stay than it looked/felt when he first arrived. But it dawned on me again as I was writing how fragile these things can be and how easy it is to tip it over and I rambled on again :)

Performances by our better players against top opposition and the results themselves will undoubtedly motivate player and club agents and build pressure. BFS has his swagger back and his reputation reinforced after the England debacle and will want to build on that. If that looks possible here (squad retention and improvement - ) then he stays as you say, why leave? The do worry me. We have quite a few players to move on out of choice but there is also risk to some of our better players. If that doesn't start well or maybe even worse drags on at risk then doubts are raised etc. Just glad I am not SP because it's a tough window again.

When Pardew was here, and in the early part of Big Sam's reign it did feel like our better players' futures were in doubt. Zaha, Townsend, even Benteke. But wins breed happiness. They look united and together. I don't feel they are sad to see the back of Pardew; if anything they are elated.

Even if Zaha wants to go to Spurs I don't think he will throw a strop if it doesn't happen this summer, like he might have done if Pardew was still here. He loves the club, and we are doing well with big name players at the club. You're right that if one goes it might unsettle the rest. But of the big names, Cabaye might move on (hope he doesn't btw), but the rest will stay. Benteke has only just got here, Sakho will probably sign, and Zaha will be coerced into staying another season by Parish. There will be no mutiny. The are not a problem for FFP. Were we not profitable last season in any case?! We spent a lot in January, but Pardew didn't spend vast amounts and Bolasie was 30m into the coffers.

Finally we have a manager that is talented and is a perfect fit for our football club. I believe that for all their faults Pardew and Pulis are decent managers, but Pulis was too negative and Pardew too attacking. Big Sam has that dichotomy spot on. We are better without the ball. We can and should build the team around a solid defensive core and the attacking threats of Zaha and Benteke who are both unstoppable on their day. And we should make the Selhurst pitch bigger, to make us an even bigger counter-attacking threat at home.

Pardew's assault on the top6 failed because of injuries and a lack of squad depth. Also a tactical naivety in wanting to play attacking football all the time rather than sorting out the centre mid and grinding out a 0-0 draw when confidence levels were down. But Big Sam has the fans behind him, squad depth is being addressed, and IF Zaha and Benteke can remain injury free then 2017/18 might just be our year. COYP :p

Kirby
26-04-2017, 09:26 AM
Think tonight may be a stretch too far with Spurs' extra 24 hours and their quality.

A draw would be fantastic.

Maidstoned Eagle
26-04-2017, 10:08 AM
Not from me. Spurs are a bloody good side.

Init

RCUK
26-04-2017, 11:07 AM
Looks like the players are seriously gelling as a unit on and off the pitch - speaks volumes.

I hope we stay up, make a few good buys this summer and another good cup run next yr!

Maidstoned Eagle
26-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Looks like the players are seriously gelling as a unit on and off the pitch - speaks volumes.

I hope we stay up, make a few good buys this summer and another good cup run next yr!

If we stay up I honestly feel a Europa League place is not out of the question. Or we might get relegated.

averity
26-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Coyp

Mictor Voses
26-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Think tonight may be a stretch too far with Spurs' extra 24 hours and their quality.

A draw would be fantastic.

Have to agree I'm afraid.

hdeagle
26-04-2017, 12:08 PM
With Chelsea beating Southampton the pressure is really on Spurs who simply have to win.

COYP