PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Team and Formation For: Burnley at Home 29th April

Martin H
27-04-2017, 12:52 PM
This is going to be a tougher game than it should be on paper, not just because it's so Palace to give Burnley their first away win, but because their style is to keep very compact, defending in depth and then break very quickly and in numbers. They invite the opposition on and then hit them on the break. They also have Brady, a player we were linked to regularly and that's always a bad sign :(

A point is enough for them and they have no reason to take risks and so when they do come forward they won't leave gaps behind. This is just about the opposite of what we have been geared up for in recent weeks and successes. On top of that the bulk of the side is going to be k******** after 2 days rest vs their 5 days.

That means we are likely to have a lot of the ball and have to unpick a locked defence and spend a lot of time chasing back as they break. With Damo starting we lose something of our pace, positioning (I noticed last night that he often seemed to be a yard behind the rest of the defensive line which is dangerous) and distribution. Hopefully he will make one last effort and finish his time with us on a high because it hasn't been a great season for him. He has his chance now.

So team:

------------------- Hennessey

Ward -------- Kelly ------- Delaney ------- Schlupp

------------------ Milivoyevic

--------- Cabaye (if fit)----- Puncheon

Townsend ----------------------------------- Zaha

-------------------- Benteke

TBH I was tempted to play PVA at LB and push Schlupp forward onto the left wing and have Wilf share the match with him. Wilf was amazing at times but just looks a bit tired to me in the last 2 games - brilliant but tired. Not sure how his head would handle that though and so left it. I do think we have to avoid that collective second half tiredness because if I was Dyche I would be banking on that second half to nick a win. I would also swap Cabaye for Macca at HT too just to brighten us up unless Yo is in a real purple patch. We need one more big match from Benteke and hopefully this is it. We need to move on and focus on next season.

Thefunkymonk
27-04-2017, 03:30 PM
Hennessey

Ward Kelly Delaney pva

Luka

Wilf cabaye punch Townsend

Benteke

cpfcfan1
27-04-2017, 03:37 PM
Hennessey

Ward Kelly Delaney pva

Luka

Benteke

Yep this all day long

Mr Palace
27-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Agree with funkymonk's team. PvA to come in for Schlupp - I think PvA is a better all round player. My only doubt would be whether to start Puncheon or McArthur. Puncheon looked off the pace quite badly last night and gave the ball away a lot. He's played virtually every game so fatigue could be worse for him at the moment.

The other concern is our lack of options from the bench. We don't have one decent attacking player to bring on. I assume Remy is not bothered again this week as it would have been nice to have him to bring on to partner benteke if needed. Campbell isn't up to it.

First goal will be key as if we get that they will have to come at us and then our wide players can pick them off.

So nervous about this one. I can't wait for the season to be over to be honest! It's consuming me every day...

AJ
27-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Hennessey

Ward Kelly Delaney pva

Luka

Benteke
I would go with this as Shlupp can come on and add some strength and speed either on the wing or in midfield. Mind you Shlupp speed in getting to the ball first and the ability to clear the ball well makes him effectivev at the back. His positioning is poor at times though and i would like to see him play further forward as he is also a very strong player.

Seanee Pawnee
28-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Hennessey

Ward Kelly Delaney pva

Luka

Benteke

Yep.
This should ding dang do.
Cmon!!!

jmemour
28-04-2017, 12:29 PM
Picks itself really apart from LB.

glenn.f
28-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Are those championing the return of Van Anholt being swayed by his one goal, because when you look objectively at both his and Schlupp's performances at left back you'd say there's pretty much not a lot between them. Van Anholt has one goal, Schlupp is quicker and both have been panned for performances all over the BBS, for not quite being up to the standard of Roberto Carlos and thats about where the differences lie from what i can see. Schlupp if fit should still be in because he's not done a lot wrong for me.

Thefunkymonk
28-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Are those championing the return of Van Anholt being swayed by his one goal, because when you look objectively at both his and Schlupp's performances at left back you'd say there's pretty much not a lot between them. Van Anholt has one goal, Schlupp is quicker and both have been panned for performances all over the BBS, for not quite being up to the standard of Roberto Carlos and thats about where the differences lie from what i can see. Schlupp if fit should still be in because he's not done a lot wrong for me.

Personally think schlupp has got away with being out of position a fair Few times over last 2/3 games.. I don't think he's a good defender. I think pva is the better left back.. and he is also fresher.

stevek
28-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Picks itself really apart from LB.

Schlupp's done well enough the last couple of games to negate the exception in your post.

Pub Idol
28-04-2017, 01:03 PM
Schlupp's done well enough the last couple of games to negate the exception in your post.

He was possibly our best player on Wednesday.

teesdale99
28-04-2017, 01:07 PM
This is going to be a tougher game than it should be on paper, not just because it's so Palace to give Burnely their first away win, but because their style is to keep very compact, defending in depth and then break very quickly and in numbers. They invite the opposition on and then hit them on the break. They also have Brady, a player we were linked to regularly and that's always a bad sign :(

A point is enough for them and they have no reason to take risks and so when they do come forward they won't leave gaps behind. This is just about the opposite of what we have been geared up for in recent weeks and successes. On top of that the bulk of the side is going to be k******** after 2 days rest vs their 5 days.

That means we are likely to have a lot of the ball and have to unpick a locked defence and spend a lot of time chasing back as they break. With Damo starting we lose something of our pace, positioning (I noticed last night that he often seemed to be a yard behind the rest of the defensive line which is dangerous) and distribution. Hopefully he will make one last effort and finish his time with us on a high because it hasn't been a great season for him. He has his chance now.

So team:

------------------- Hennessey

Ward -------- Kelly ------- Delaney ------- Schlupp

------------------ Milivoyevic

--------- Cabaye (if fit)----- Puncheon

Townsend ----------------------------------- Zaha

-------------------- Benteke

TBH I was tempted to play PVA at LB and push Schlupp forward onto the left wing and have Wilf share the match with him. Wilf was amazing at times but just looks a bit tired to me in the last 2 games - brilliant but tired. Not sure how his head would handle that though and so left it. I do think we have to avoid that collective second half tiredness because if I was Dyche I would be banking on that second half to nick a win. I would also swap Cabaye for Macca at HT too just to brighten us up unless Yo is in a real purple patch. We need one more big match from Benteke and hopefully this is it. We need to move on and focus on next season.
Nail in head. Tiredness will be a huge factor allied with our lack of depth in the squad. With 3 injured centre halves, schlup and MacArthur are the only 2 players remotely pushing for a start despite our requirement for fresh legs. Presumably remy will be missing again? Ideally we would play a patient, more possession based game than of late rather than commuting forward and risking being suckerec on the break. However the best chance for a win given the likely tired legs in second half may be to go at them, score a couple and dispirit them?

Martin H
28-04-2017, 02:00 PM
Nail in head. Tiredness will be a huge factor allied with our lack of depth in the squad. With 3 injured centre halves, schlup and MacArthur are the only 2 players remotely pushing for a start despite our requirement for fresh legs. Presumably remy will be missing again? Ideally we would play a patient, more possession based game than of late rather than commuting forward and risking being suckerec on the break. However the best chance for a win given the likely tired legs in second half may be to go at them, score a couple and dispirit them?

The other issue we get with either Dann or Delaney is that they naturally sit deeper because of that lack of pace which in turn leaves a far bigger space for the midfielders to cover. So we are less compact. I think this will be the first time Luka encounters this other than the last 10 mins or so of a match and it will be interesting to see how he, Punch and Cabaye handle this. The space that Cabaye was left to patrol in midweek was ridiculous TBH and little wonder he couldn't get close to anyone. With Burnley also sitting deep it will mean that there will be plenty of room to run into as they break. With Damo not even keeping the 'back line straight on Wednesday' it could be quite a test. I know this sounds harsh but it has been a big part of the problem and Dann is not massively different in terms of pace albeit compensating elsewhere. Damo has always dug deep and made it work when he had to. Hopefully he will do that.

Mr Palace
28-04-2017, 02:24 PM
I think you're right Martin but of all the teams we could be playing I am glad it's Burnley and then Hull in our last home game. You could regard these as similar to championship games, especially Burnley with the likes of Vokes up front, and Delaney is still good enough to do a job against teams like this.

We have been incredibly unlucky though - don't recall ever having our first three choice centre backs out at the same time. Hopefully we can get the win tomorrow and then we can really relax.

Martin H
28-04-2017, 02:46 PM
I think you're right Martin but of all the teams we could be playing I am glad it's Burnley and then Hull in our last home game. You could regard these as similar to championship games, especially Burnley with the likes of Vokes up front, and Delaney is still good enough to do a job against teams like this.

We have been incredibly unlucky though - don't recall ever having our first three choice centre backs out at the same time. Hopefully we can get the win tomorrow and then we can really relax.

It's a bit of a nightmare isn't it? To arguably lose your 3 top CBs but in some way it has allowed Martin Kelly to shine and I think he is quite possibly forced himself into the top 3 now. If nothing else he must have guaranteed himself an opportunity to play somewhere at CB as first choice.

If he carries on improving as he has in recent weeks, I am OK with that being at Palace TBH. He has the pace and is proving to be very disciplined. I have always thought he did pretty well in a one on one marking role but looked adrift positionally in the brief cameos we saw of him. No such problem lately where his positioning and critically his covering has been perfectly timed. I think he would be getting even more solid support right now if he had just arrived at the club in the window, but a lot of minds are made up now and just waiting for the error.

It is only by fluke that we still have 2 genuine CBs left and I don't expect us to start next season with 5 in the squad. I do wonder if we might move on Scott now though, instead of MK but that's not today's problem. .

Mictor Voses
28-04-2017, 08:12 PM
I actually really hope that Sam shows some faith and rotates the squad tomorrow. To me Townsend looked totally knackered on Wednesday and could do with a rest. For what's it's worth this would be my team.

Hennnessey

Ward Kelly Damo PVA

Luka MacArthur

Zaha Cabaye Sako

Benteke

Bring on Townsend and Punch fresh in the second half.

McpfcS
28-04-2017, 08:42 PM
I actually really hope that Sam shows some faith and rotates the squad tomorrow. To me Townsend looked totally knackered on Wednesday and could do with a rest. For what's it's worth this would be my team.

Hennnessey

Ward Kelly Damo PVA

Luka MacArthur

Zaha Cabaye Sako

Benteke

Bring on Townsend and Punch fresh in the second half.

Sako hahahahaha

Mr Palace
28-04-2017, 09:29 PM
It's a bit of a nightmare isn't it? To arguably lose your 3 top CBs but in some way it has allowed Martin Kelly to shine and I think he is quite possibly forced himself into the top 3 now. If nothing else he must have guaranteed himself an opportunity to play somewhere at CB as first choice.

If he carries on improving as he has in recent weeks, I am OK with that being at Palace TBH. He has the pace and is proving to be very disciplined. I have always thought he did pretty well in a one on one marking role but looked adrift positionally in the brief cameos we saw of him. No such problem lately where his positioning and critically his covering has been perfectly timed. I think he would be getting even more solid support right now if he had just arrived at the club in the window, but a lot of minds are made up now and just waiting for the error.

It is only by fluke that we still have 2 genuine CBs left and I don't expect us to start next season with 5 in the squad. I do wonder if we might move on Scott now though, instead of MK but that's not today's problem. .

Kelly has been excellent and will be very good back up CB next season. I'm pleased he's been given an opportunity in his best position.

As for Dann, I'd like to see him in this line up - i.e. alongside Sakho and with Luka in front. I think we'd see a quality CB again. He's lost his way a little but I think he will return stronger next season.

Having Sakho, Dann, Tomkins and Kelly as our four first choice CBs would be excellent.

El Aguila
28-04-2017, 10:18 PM
He's going to want two right footers and two left footers, though, I expect. I must admit I've had the same thought as Martin.

glaziers fan
28-04-2017, 11:42 PM
I'd play:

---------------Henessey-----------------
Ward----Kelly--------Delaney-----PVA
Andros---Luka----McArthur------Schlupp
----------------Zaha---------------------
---------------Benteke-------------------

But I appreciate it won't be that.

glaziers fan
28-04-2017, 11:45 PM
Oh, and to join the centre back debate, Dann and Sakho would be a good pair but they'd have to hold a deeper line and we'd need more pace in midfield to compensate. But that's what I'd like to see, with Tomkins/Kelly standing by if their strikers were particularly mobile.

Nostrils
28-04-2017, 11:48 PM
I'd play:

---------------Henessey-----------------
Ward----Kelly--------Delaney-----PVA
Andros---Luka----McArthur------Schlupp
----------------Zaha---------------------
---------------Benteke-------------------

But I appreciate it won't be that.

Swap McArthur for Cabaye and that could be fun, I don't think Dyche would expect that. With Schluppy and PvA on the left, we'd still be pretty defensive.

WashDCEagle
29-04-2017, 02:15 AM
Swap McArthur for Cabaye and that could be fun, I don't think Dyche would expect that. With Schluppy and PvA on the left, we'd still be pretty defensive.

I like the PVA/Schlupp starting pair for the pace and while Schluppy isn't a strong defender for a LB, he's an excellent defender for a LW. Lock up that side, and tilt the entire match to Wilf and let him run buck wild. Let's not be too modest, there's nobody on Burnley's squad that can handle him. If we're in the mood, bring on Townsend around 60-65' for Schlupp or even for Wilf, and then you can run the Clarets straight into the grave. Let the ball do the work.

jmemour
29-04-2017, 06:57 AM

Yeah I agree, just it's the only position where there's real competition at the moment due to injuries/outstanding form. Might revert to PVA to give Schlupp a rest?