PDA

View Full Version : Paddy McCarthy Testimonial?

SilentAssassin
17-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Not sure if this works out but next season wouldn't Paddy of given 10 years of service the club, player and coach combined or did he have time out of the club?

gilesy14
17-05-2017, 10:43 AM
A testimonial is only for someone who has played for 10 years at a club isn't it? For that reason, I'd be very surprised if he got one.

SilentAssassin
17-05-2017, 10:45 AM
A testimonial is only for someone who has played for 10 years at a club isn't it? For that reason, I'd be very surprised if he got one.

Kember's one was overdue if memory serves me right. I think his was to celebrate combined service to the club. Maybe I'm wrong?

Chillo
17-05-2017, 10:46 AM

Otherwise Terry Byfield and Phil Alexander would also get one? Also Mandy Anderson-Myers, before she left.

SilentAssassin
17-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Otherwise Terry Byfield and Phil Alexander would also get one? Also Mandy Anderson-Myers, before she left.

Neither were players apart from Phil Alexander who never played for Palace.

BaldEagle96
17-05-2017, 12:03 PM
Didn't realise he was still with us. Thought he was long gone!

Beckenham Boy
17-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Didn't realise he was still with us. Thought he was long gone!

He is the U18 manager. He no longer has a player contract

Jim Cannon
17-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Neither were players apart from Phil Alexander who never played for Palace.

Yes and he wasn't really a pro footballer anyway!

Eaglesmad123
17-05-2017, 12:13 PM
Phil Alexander should get one for services to finance

Dorking .Eagle
17-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Len Chatterton got one, and he cut the grass

desperado
17-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Len Chatterton got one, and he cut the grass

There was never that much grass to cut.

Spent most of his time driving the converted VW Beetle to try and get rid of the lumps and bumps on the pitch

CPFC.1990
17-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Think testimonials should be given to people who provide the club with outstanding service. Or if their career is cut short by injury. Always surprised we never did one for Pitcher? Could have got him a bit of cash for a Palace v Charlton ex players match.

jaspercpfc
17-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Think testimonials should be given to people who provide the club with outstanding service. Or if their career is cut short by injury. Always surprised we never did one for Pitcher? Could have got him a bit of cash for a Palace v Charlton ex players match.

it was a dreadful injury he sustained at Huddersfield in 96', but the truth of the matter is I think you'd struggle to generate a crowd of 4k for a Darren Pitcher farewell match. Shame we never did anything for Sir Steve to give him a proper send off (even though Sir Steve is a very private man and probably wouldn't want the attention)

CPFC.1990
17-05-2017, 01:17 PM
it was a dreadful injury he sustained at Huddersfield in 96', but the truth of the matter is I think you'd struggle to generate a crowd of 4k for a Darren Pitcher farewell match. Shame we never did anything for Sir Steve to give him a proper send off (even though Sir Steve is a very private man and probably wouldn't want the attention)

I know what you're saying but Palace fans want to see football. If back in those days you charge 10/5 to watch us take on Charlton you could easily expect 10k.

jimmy the gent
17-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Testimonials were a way for a club to provide a big pay day as reward for a players loyalty and service, back when players didn't earn that much more than a decent middle class wage. These days think players that don't donate it to local charities are taking the piss frankly.

Having said that, I don't think anyone would begrudge McCarthy one, but at the same time don't imagine that it'd be even half full for it.

SilentAssassin
17-05-2017, 01:25 PM
Testimonials were a way for a club to provide a big pay day as reward for a players loyalty and service, back when players didn't earn that much more than a decent middle class wage. These days think players that don't donate it to local charities are taking the piss frankly.

Having said that, I don't think anyone would begrudge McCarthy one, but at the same time don't imagine that it'd be even half full for it.

Agree. I think he would be deserving of one as he has been with the club through some ups and downs, struggled with injury to get back into the side which pretty much ended his career. Would be decent to see something.
Apparently he's doing a decent enough job with the 18's team so far as well.

jmemour
17-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Not like the stadium was packed for Speroni's, can't see many going to Paddy's.

jaspercpfc
17-05-2017, 01:46 PM
I know what you're saying but Palace fans want to see football. If back in those days you charge 10/5 to watch us take on Charlton you could easily expect 10k.

I really doubt that personally. What did Jolly get for his testimonial 14k and that was against Spurs.
Even the 1990 FA reunion in 2006 where all proceeds were to charity and the likes of Ian Wright and co all teamed up again only managed 16k turnout. It's a nice sentiment but you'd have been lucky to get 5k IMO particularly as Charlton were in and about the same leagues at the time.

BaldEagle96
17-05-2017, 02:08 PM
He is the U18 manager. He no longer has a player contract

Cheers! :p

ForzaPalace
17-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Not like the stadium was packed for Speroni's, can't see many going to Paddy's.

Speroni's still provided us with the best away fans Selhurst have ever seen - and it was a testimonial!

New LP
17-05-2017, 02:19 PM
Speroni's still provided us with the best away fans Selhurst have ever seen - and it was a testimonial!

Thanks for deciding that for us.

Oddjob
17-05-2017, 02:23 PM
He shouldn't get a testimonial, he has done well out of the game and lets leave it at that, before you know it someone will be calling him a legend.

jimmy the gent
17-05-2017, 02:33 PM
On all accounts he's a good chap, and has been nothing but a positive figure on and off the field during his time at the club. I think it's good that Palace keep longstanding figures around where appropriate - where we went overboard was with Pardew's retinue of supplicating and under-qualified pals and former team-mates, but that's another matter...

New LP
17-05-2017, 02:47 PM
I like Paddy and he was a key player at Hillsborough etc. I'm not sure he warrants a testimonial though.

Oddjob
17-05-2017, 02:52 PM
He played for us less times than Tom Soares.

SilentAssassin
17-05-2017, 03:02 PM
He played for us less times than Tom Soares.

Captain of some fine moments though. Hillsborough, first win at the wonky stadium, Man Utd away, League Cup semi final (more for the home game leg than the away), not to mention haunting the odd lot from up the road.

Injuries sadly took its toll but he was a fine captain. For me up there with some of the best captains we have had at the club.

CPFC.1990
17-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Captain of some fine moments though. Hillsborough, first win at the wonky stadium, Man Utd away, League Cup semi final (more for the home game leg than the away), not to mention haunting the odd lot from up the road.

Injuries sadly took its toll but he was a fine captain. For me up there with some of the best captains we have had at the club.

Really?

Up there with Thomas and Cannon?

Can't say he would be in my top 100 Palace players, let alone greatest captains.

Dom the Eagle
17-05-2017, 03:17 PM

Derry was captain at Hillsborough.

Se9 eagles
17-05-2017, 03:39 PM

The Dundee fans wouldn't let us buy a drink or leave the pud after the game.Brilliant supporters:lux:.

Se9 eagles
17-05-2017, 03:44 PM
Really?

Can't say he would be in my top 100 Palace players, let alone greatest captains.

Good at own goals and giving away penalties:sob:.

HRS
17-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Brave as a lion and a top character, but he was a poor player.

SilentAssassin
17-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Really?

Cannon, Thomas and Jedi for me are in a league of their own but I certainly regard Paddy highly in overall terms of former Palace captains for sure.

Worksop Palace
17-05-2017, 04:16 PM

I think 'poor' is a little harsh

Don't forget the standard of football when he played

aashman12
18-05-2017, 06:27 AM

No chance

Billy Rhino
18-05-2017, 06:55 AM
If I was going to choose anyone to have a testimonial I think it would have to be me. Legend.

west country boy
18-05-2017, 07:09 AM
He shouldn't get a testimonial, he has done well out of the game and lets leave it at that, before you know it someone will be calling him a legend.Agreed. Also, his contract was extended year after year even though he wasn't playing, so he's probably had his fair share of cash from the club.

adman50
18-05-2017, 07:15 AM
I'd pay good money to attend Claude Davis's testimonial.

It would be held in an MMA ring rather than a football pitch and Dave Jones would be his first opponent :D

ForzaPalace
18-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Thanks for deciding that for us.

Did you go?

Wandle_Eagle
18-05-2017, 01:46 PM
I think 'poor' is a little harsh

Don't forget the standard of football when he played

He was poor, I remember people actually thinking he was better than Fonte. It was only when Fonte left that people realised Paddy was the weak link.

Eaglefoz
18-05-2017, 01:48 PM

He did his collar bone? when playing for us and came back in to the team with that damage not fixed and likely to repeat and get worse if he played. It did repeat several times but he just kept coming back for more.

Gave his all for the club when we needed his all

RDSdaEAGLE
18-05-2017, 02:00 PM
This talk of players being 'poor' is a bit revisionist really because it seems judges them on our current position rather than the condition the club was in when the player was signed.

Paddy McCarthy wasn't a poor signing when Palace bought him. He was an improvement on what we had at the time. A suitable Championship level centre-back.

The same goes for Damien Delaney. He wasn't a poor player when he was signed. He improved Palace's back-line immeasurably when he arrived and helped guide Palace to promotion.

It just seems harsh to write players off like that. Especially when they made significant contributions at the time they signed.

cpfc4evandeva
18-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Agree with your general point RDS, but probably not so much on McCarthy. I certainly wouldn't say he was a bad signing, but as effectively replaced Hudson, I would actually say that he didn't improve us. In fact, Hudson went on to eventually win promotion with Cardiff.

I think the truth is that had McCarthy not got injured (against Exeter, wasn't it?), we wouldn't have signed Delaney, and as a result, we wouldn't have got promoted.

McCarthy wasn't a bad Championship centre back, but I don't think he was a good one either.

Excowboy
18-05-2017, 02:25 PM
Feels like 10 years since he last played. Love Paddy, though. Helped us through some tough times and that season he had with Anthony Gardner was pretty class.

cpfc4evandeva
18-05-2017, 02:26 PM
And to add - in Fonte he had a heck of a playing partner for a season or so.

CPFC.1990
18-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Think McCarthy wasn't poor he just wasn't that good.

In the same bracket as a Mark Hudson. Capable of a decent performance but also capable of playing very badly especially under pressure.

Smoz
18-05-2017, 02:37 PM
It's only another three years before Wilf is due a testimonial.

Pierre
18-05-2017, 04:37 PM
It's only another three years before Wilf is due a testimonial.

You beat me to it-I hope that will pull in a crowd and be a real night to remember!

HRS
18-05-2017, 06:04 PM
This talk of players being 'poor' is a bit revisionist really because it seems judges them on our current position rather than the condition the club was in when the player was signed.

Paddy McCarthy wasn't a poor signing when Palace bought him. He was an improvement on what we had at the time. A suitable Championship level centre-back.

The same goes for Damien Delaney. He wasn't a poor player when he was signed. He improved Palace's back-line immeasurably when he arrived and helped guide Palace to promotion.

It just seems harsh to write players off like that. Especially when they made significant contributions at the time they signed.

Damo was a far better player at Championship level than Paddy ever was. For me Paddy was a lower half Championship player, and that's probably reflected in our league finishing positions during his playing time here. He was ok when playing with a good Championship standard CB like Fonte or Gardener Imo. A bit like I would say Kelly has been this season when playing with Sakho or Tomkins.

jimmy the gent
18-05-2017, 06:08 PM
I liked Paddy, a no nonsense championship CB, but think Hudson was a more composed and ultimately better defender.