PDA

View Full Version : Palace to sign Ian Feuer

matthew
24-09-2002, 07:40 PM
Crystal Palace are set to sign American international keeper Ian Feuer as a replacement for the injured Matt Clarke. The Eagles are hoping to complete the transfer before Sunday's televised game against Gillingham on Sky Sports 2.

First choice goalkeeper Matt Clarke injured his knee in the recent home game against Leicester City when he collided with Trevor Benjamin. Clarke is due to have surgery this week, which would rule him out for most of the season.

The Eagles are looking at a number of likely replacements for Clarke and Ian Feuer is top of their list. Feuer has played for a host of English clubs including West Ham, Wimbledon and Derby. He joined Wolves on a non-contract deal earlier this month but is interested in a move back to London.

At 6'6 Feuer is renowned for his aerial prowess and was voted Luton's Player of the Year in 1996. The 31-year-old has already been watched by Palace scouts and would provide much needed cover between the posts. In recent matches Trevor Francis has had to select academy player Lance Cronin on the bench.

Taken from Sky Sports

Sussex Eagle
24-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Well that makes 3 quite-good-but-nothing-special keepers then.

What?
24-09-2002, 07:48 PM
I knew this would happen, the second we knew cover was needed, i KNEW we would go for Ian!

Psychokiller
24-09-2002, 08:04 PM
He can't be that bad if Arsenal were going to sign him at the beginning of the season.

Having said that, the only firm offer he had was from Orient....

Latvian Eagle
24-09-2002, 08:10 PM
On his day he is good. He's a beast of a kepper and he's more like 6'7". Obviously going to be good in the air, I also believe he's quite agile for a big keeper. Hope Matt's fit soon though. I'll have 1 on him being given number 25. :p

Steve in Phoenix
24-09-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by What?
I knew this would happen, the second we knew cover was needed, i KNEW we would go for Ian!

Should have added him to your signature then..

Seems like a good move.. Feuer has been good whenever I saw him... but TF signing an American? Now that sounds unlikely.

Sussex Eagle
24-09-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
...Obviously going to be good in the air...

When you assume, .... well you know the rest

Beanie
24-09-2002, 08:22 PM
Sounds like reasonable cover. Can't see him shifting Kolinko, but we do need a bit more experience on the bench than Lance Cronin. A one year deal I'd guess. Can't take him on loan if he's on a non-contract deal can we?

Latvian Eagle
24-09-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Sounds like reasonable cover. Can't see him shifting Kolinko, but we do need a bit more experience on the bench than Lance Cronin. A one year deal I'd guess. Can't take him on loan if he's on a non-contract deal can we?

We did with Berhalter. He'd left Cambuur on a free and had been on trial with several English clubs and when we took him on trial it was announced we had him on a three month loan, but from who? :confused:

Chantelle
24-09-2002, 11:12 PM
i dont understand - how are we able to sign a player when the transfer window is closed????

Please explain it to me!!

Phil O'Sophical
24-09-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Chantelle
i dont understand - how are we able to sign a player when the transfer window is closed????

If he's a free agent, which presumably he is if he's at Wolves on a non-contract basis, the transfer window rule doesn't apply.

nookiebear
24-09-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Chantelle

Feuer does not have a club, hence he is not being transferred.

freekickuk
24-09-2002, 11:43 PM
big lad 6,6:p

Chantelle
25-09-2002, 12:00 AM
cheers - phil and nookie

c_block_lad
25-09-2002, 12:08 AM
Average sort of keeper, cant be to bad for back up I suppose.

Benny B Block
25-09-2002, 12:41 AM
This may have been mentioned somewhere before but surely a sneaky season loan bid for Kirkland at Liverpool would be more practical business (with a 'you can have him back when you need him' clause).
Can't see him getting a sniff with Dudek on form.

palacefan_72
25-09-2002, 01:01 AM
yeh a premiership young goalie would be better someone like kirkland or steve harper at newcastle, or even stuart taylor again would be better

kolinkins
25-09-2002, 01:07 AM

If he's a free agent, which presumably he is if he's at Wolves on a non-contract basis, the transfer window rule doesn't apply.

the nationwide is exempt from the transfer window for 2 years.

Latvian Eagle
25-09-2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by palacefan_72
yeh a premiership young goalie would be better someone like kirkland or steve harper at newcastle, or even stuart taylor again would be better

Sorry I thought you said young? Steve Harper is 27/28 years old. He's good, but I don't think Newcastle will loan him, Robson thinks highly of Given and Harper and has no confidence in Karelse, after that they have two 17 year olds.

2can
25-09-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by palacefan_72
or even stuart taylor again would be better

I know our defence was far from perfect during the Smith era, but I thought Taylor was crap!

What?
25-09-2002, 03:03 AM
Kirkland would be great, but i dont think it is going to happen, as it goes Ian Feuer would be ok i spose, might as well give him a short term deal.

sexyrazor
25-09-2002, 11:59 AM
http://www.coloradorapids.com/gallery/headshots/1999/feuer_head.jpg

jlmatthews
25-09-2002, 12:32 PM
Wor American.

Height: 6-6
Weight: 220
Born: 5/2/71 in Las Vegas, NV

A wierd website on him...kinda? (http://move.to/feuer)

Benzhiyi
25-09-2002, 12:39 PM
Feuer is a very decent keeper - I'd like to suggest he's actually better than Kolinko but I fear Gonzo might go mental on me........ ;)

Psychokiller
25-09-2002, 12:59 PM
Feuer is a very decent keeper - I'd like to suggest he's actually better than Kolinko but I fear Gonzo might go mental on me........

If he's such a decent keeper why hasn't he been No. 1 for any club in any division for about 7 odd years??

Boris the charltonhater
25-09-2002, 01:25 PM
Panic buying :sob:

Glazed&Confuzed
25-09-2002, 01:36 PM
I think that MR J should stick his hands in his pockets, drop the Latvian and bring in Nugel Martyn who currently keeps the bench warm at Leeds. :p

We all know Nigel. He would return and he's not the type to sit on the bench, he would rather play first team football.:cool:

BUNGLE
25-09-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Boris the charltonhater
Panic buying :sob:

It's obviously not panic buying as Clarke has been out for a couple of weeks now and the report said we had scouted him. Decent cover, be intresting to see whether he will replace Kolinko, this will show if the 'cuff round the ear' incident is truly in the past.

Glazed&Confuzed
25-09-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
It's obviously not panic buying as Clarke has been out for a couple of weeks now and the report said we had scouted him. Decent cover, be intresting to see whether he will replace Kolinko, this will show if the 'cuff round the ear' incident is truly in the past.

No I don't know about that. It just says that if he drops him he thinks he is a dodgy keeper which a lot of people do. I mean for every fantastic super unbelieveable super human save he makes he costs us a goal anyway.:sob:

Martyn in!:D

Caisterman
25-09-2002, 02:52 PM
Question.

Is he the big sod who Leicester were going to bring on in the Play-Off final, before Claridge shinned the winner?

Sussex Eagle
25-09-2002, 03:02 PM
no. whoever it was looked like Peter Crouch in my memory. Ian's never played for leicester.

Sussex Eagle
25-09-2002, 03:04 PM
jaysus, he's more like 8'8!

Psychokiller
25-09-2002, 03:06 PM
Is he the big sod who Leicester were going to bring on in the Play-Off final, before Claridge shinned the winner?

That was Zelkjo Kalac (sp?)

ozeagle
25-09-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
jaysus, he's more like 8'8!

no, don't be fooled, the bloke on the left is about 4ft 6....

:sob:

Latvian Eagle
25-09-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle
no, don't be fooled, the bloke on the left is about 4ft 6....:sob:

I was going to say the same thing, until I saw your post. :D All these websites say Ian is 6'6" but he's 6'7". He is 2m tall... and not the boring bit.

6' = 183cm (Shay Given)
6'1" = 185cm (Can't think of anyone at the moment)
6'2" = 187cm (Nigel Martyn)
6'3" = 190cm (Alex Kolinko, Stuart Taylor)
6'4" = 193cm (Matt Clarke, David Seaman)
6'5" = 195cm (Carlo Nash, David James)
6'6" = 197cm (Edwin van der Sar, Ed de Goey, Shaka Hislop)
6'7" = 200cm (Ian Feuer, Zeljko Kalac, Chris Kirkland)

Zeljko Kalac was indeed the keeper who came on for Leicester in that play off final, he played for Rode JC Kerkrade for ages (Dutch team), and now plays for Piacenza or Perugia in Italy. Kalac was the original spider, the reason being he wore all black when he played for Australia.

Beanie
25-09-2002, 05:42 PM
Seems that Francis is happy with Kolinko playing and Cronin as cover, because he says he isn't after Feuer or anybody else.

Is it a risk? If we don't need a keeper then we don't buy one, but if, for example, Aleks got injured against Wednesday tonight, would we have time to get a loan by Sunday? Or if injured Sunday, there would be even less time to Cheltenham on Wednesday. Or is it Cronin in -and who on the bench?

Chris K
25-09-2002, 05:51 PM
Taken from one of the news articles:

Francis said: "If something happened to Kolinko we would consider a signing. But at the moment we are getting by with one keeper and we hope to stay away from injury in that area."

Well thats alright then innit Trev. Lets all hope together that nothing happens to him say in a light friday training session before a saturday game cos otherwise we'd be screwed. Surely its common sense to bring someone in just in loan perhaps as cover. Or is that too obvious :rolleyes:

Glazed&Confuzed
25-09-2002, 06:40 PM
Sounds nice but I can only imagine the reason why the club do not bring in cover "just in case" is perhaps due to wages being unnecissarily paid.:confused:

Beanie
25-09-2002, 08:59 PM
I was a bit surprised when I first post about the non-signing, but the more I think about it the more sense it makes. My boss wouldn't employ somebody - even a temp - that we might well not need, and we're not short of readys. Perhaps TF actually has faith in the ability of Lance Cronin, even if he is a bit short of experience. Plenty of calls for youngsters to be given a chance elsewhere, why not in goal?. And in any case keepers don't tend to injured that much. With the run we've had in last year logic says we should (:rolleyes: ) be okay.

What?
26-09-2002, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Chris K
Taken from one of the news articles:

Francis said: "If something happened to Kolinko we would consider a signing. But at the moment we are getting by with one keeper and we hope to stay away from injury in that area."

Well thats alright then innit Trev. Lets all hope together that nothing happens to him say in a light friday training session before a saturday game cos otherwise we'd be screwed. Surely its common sense to bring someone in just in loan perhaps as cover. Or is that too obvious :rolleyes:

Well, now what Mr Francis?

pete eagle
26-09-2002, 02:23 AM
this is what you get for being a pillock and playing Clarke with an injury

Bruce-S
26-09-2002, 03:39 AM
since I have commented on your other Americans, I must post here: Feuer is a genuinely bad keeper. He was cut by his team in the States and nobody would take him on a free transfer. He is good up high but anything below the knee is a goal.
Anyone who would let Berhalter and Kirovski go, and then sign Feuer is in need of mental help. They are light years apart in terms of quality. Feuer played for my Revs and the proper term for his play is "pathetic".

Hedgehog
26-09-2002, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Bruce-S
Anyone who would let Berhalter and Kirovski go, and then sign Feuer is in need of mental help.
And your point is? :rolleyes:
So Alex did get injured today (v Sheff), and had to struggle on to the end, so maybe this is back on again.

Palace Don
26-09-2002, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by sexyrazor
http://www.coloradorapids.com/gallery/headshots/1999/feuer_head.jpg
Looks like an American version of Jamie Pollock, erm....and slightly thinner! :o

Bruce-S
26-09-2002, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Palace Don
Looks like an American version of Jamie Pollock, erm....and slightly thinner! :o
His strength:his height
His weakness: he can't actually stop any shots.

Oisin
26-09-2002, 06:15 AM
But he's be quite useful to have around if you needed anything of the top of a really big shelf.
I think we were crazy to let berthalter go. e had no choice of Kirowski.

SHiggins
26-09-2002, 02:52 PM
Not a bad keeper - heard he was very popular at Luton. OK he has his faults but is good with crosses. He's only cover so dont think we can reasonably expect anyone better.

Beanie
26-09-2002, 03:18 PM
I am getting concerned about the coaching of our keepers. They are getting too many injuries. Only yesterday I said that if it was just "one of those things" logic said it had to stop, and a couple of hours later another injury. It can't just be bad luck. Many clubs use one keeper all season, for several seasons in some cases. I'm begining to think there must be a reason!:grrr:

Glazed&Confuzed
26-09-2002, 03:26 PM
I've thought that there is something very wrong. I mean for year I remember Perry Suckling, then Nigel Martyn who hardly missed a game. We went through an unsettled period after he left and then there was Kevin Miller.;)

In the following season we swapped about with Fraser Digby (that's Venebles for you) and Digby soon became our regular No. 1.:p

But all in all I find it strange the number of injuries that have happened to Matt Clarke since he joined and whenever he goes then Kolinko seems to get a knock too?:eek:

What is going on?:(

OOCO
26-09-2002, 10:19 PM
One extreme to another eh? We have two keepers who are great shot stoppers, but are nothing special in the air. Now we are signing someone who is great in the air, but **** anywhere else!

Only at Palace! :)

Jimbo ?
27-09-2002, 03:13 AM
Could do worse - although a toss up of who is better - kinky or the yank

hughff
27-09-2002, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Beanie
I am getting concerned about the coaching of our keepers. They are getting too many injuries. Only yesterday I said that if it was just "one of those things" logic said it had to stop, and a couple of hours later another injury. It can't just be bad luck. Many clubs use one keeper all season, for several seasons in some cases. I'm begining to think there must be a reason!:grrr:

Logic and law of averages don't apply at Palace.

I remember not long after Clarke joined us he went down with a cut thumb or something similar that he did at home and someone posted saying that his mate at Bradford reckoned Clarke was always getting scraped up with silly knocks. Now clearly I'm qualifying what is a rumour here (notice my hedging and equivocating) but he does seem to get injured too often for comfort.

I think if we're looking to bring in a keeper, it should be someone that can be a first choice, not cover for the cover (i.e. Kolinko.)

Latvian Eagle
27-09-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by hughff
Logic and law of averages don't apply at Palace.

I remember not long after Clarke joined us he went down with a cut thumb or something similar that he did at home and someone posted saying that his mate at Bradford reckoned Clarke was always getting scraped up with silly knocks. Now clearly I'm qualifying what is a rumour here (notice my hedging and equivocating) but he does seem to get injured too often for comfort.

I think if we're looking to bring in a keeper, it should be someone that can be a first choice, not cover for the cover (i.e. Kolinko.)

Matt Clarke is first choice. :veryangry So he's had his injury problems. To say he feigns injury is ridiculous, and unfounded. He lost his place at Bradford because he wanted to go to Arsenal and Jefferies wouldn't allow it, and when he offered Matt a new contract he rejected. At the time Matt was being praised and even being considered for England. Jefferies = t@sser. But still saying that, if he'd gone to Arsenal we wouldn't have him now. The injury sustained against Leicester was a horrific challenge from Benjamin.

Duke
27-09-2002, 05:06 PM
have we actually signed this keeper?

and if not is there a cut of time today which he has to sign by so he is ok for sunday?

PhilC
27-09-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by OOCO
One extreme to another eh? We have two keepers who are great shot stoppers, but are nothing special in the air. Now we are signing someone who is great in the air, but **** anywhere else!

Only at Palace! :)

Perhaps they would let us play with 2 keepers? :p

GARYP
27-09-2002, 08:28 PM
HOW ABOUT CARLO NASH:)

PalaceFan in Alabama
27-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix
but TF signing an American? Now that sounds unlikely.

He is doing his part in supporting Blair :p :D

Gooders
27-09-2002, 08:35 PM

No, he looks like he probably lives near PFiA and sits on his verandah playing a banjo most days. :o

PalaceFan in Alabama
27-09-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
No, he looks like he probably lives near PFiA and sits on his verandah playing a banjo most days. :o

Having seen this :clown: play, I would not trust him with a banjo, he would drop it :eek: Once saw him beaten three times under his body. Yet another puncher :eek:

I only allow the cream of the South on my property, we sit and drink Mint Juleps and discuss the problems facing CPFC, anything else pales in comparison :p

Just an opinion, but bringing in this player will only add to my opinion of TF :clown:

This is what is so great about the BBS, several of us have seen this player play and we have seen a very different player? :D

Latvian Eagle
27-09-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama
This is what is so great about the BBS, several of us have seen this player play and we have seen a very different player? :D

I remember last time we played Luton he was quality at Kenilworth and the game was 0-0, we played them again 3 weeks later at Selhurst and again he was quality. I think it took us until the 82nd minute to score and we won 2-0 in the end.

Still he'd be better than Andy Petterson, oh how we laugh at Brightscum. :D

Ian Hart
27-09-2002, 11:05 PM

Anyone who would let Berhalter and Kirovski go, and then sign Feuer is in need of mental help. They are light years apart in terms of quality.

I'm not sure I understand the point here, Bruce. Are you suggesting he should have kept Berhalter and Kirovski to play them in goal?

Bruce-S
28-09-2002, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Ian Hart
I'm not sure I understand the point here, Bruce. Are you suggesting he should have kept Berhalter and Kirovski to play them in goal?
I have never seen Berhalter or Kirovski play in goal. But since I have seen Feuer in goal many times... yes, I would try Kiro or Berhalter first.It is hard to imagine they could be worse unless they starting throwing the ball into their own net.

jlmatthews
28-09-2002, 06:16 AM
I have never seen Berhalter or Kirovski play in goal. But since I have seen Feuer in goal many times... yes, I would try Kiro or Berhalter first.It is hard to imagine they could be worse unless they starting throwing the ball into their own net.

LOL - I'd have to agree here though :hmph:

Bruce-S
28-09-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by jlmatthews
LOL - I'd have to agree here though :hmph:
Hey are you in Chi-town? Are you a Fire fan?

jlmatthews
28-09-2002, 09:01 PM
Hey are you in Chi-town? Are you a Fire fan?

Im in Indiana. I'm dont really support one MLS team more than another, but I do like Chicago cause DaMarcus Beasley went to High School about 15 mins north of me and I've played against him. And interviewed him this summer after he got back from the WC.

Bruce-S
29-09-2002, 05:53 PM
Im in Indiana. I'm dont really support one MLS team more than another, but I do like Chicago cause DaMarcus Beasley went to High School about 15 mins north of me and I've played against him. And interviewed him this summer after he got back from the WC.
how did you do against him????;)

jlmatthews
01-10-2002, 11:17 PM
how did you do against him????;)

We were quite young. And I used to be one helluva center back! :) I'd say I more than held my own back then :p

Bruce-S
02-10-2002, 06:05 AM
We were quite young. And I used to be one helluva center back! :) I'd say I more than held my own back then :p
damn, maybe you should have been on the USA team!;)

jlmatthews
02-10-2002, 06:11 AM
damn, maybe you should have been on the USA team!;)

Baseball and football started consuming my time when it came down to choosing sports...I gave it up. (By that time I was a striker anyways) :)

Brett
02-10-2002, 08:09 PM
It was always a non-starter. Trevor Frncis hates Yanks (allegedly).

Bruce-S
04-10-2002, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Brett
It was always a non-starter. Trevor Frncis hates Yanks (allegedly).
I can't hate Yanks since I am one. But I can hate Feuer since he played( badly) for my team.