PDA

View Full Version : Players To Be Sold / Released Next Year ?

Gazza2
26-09-2002, 05:31 PM
With the club currently losing an estimated 50k per week (which is figure quoted by Simon Jordan) and cost cutting measures unlikely to save anything like that, there is only 1 possible option open to the club management to make good the losses - sell players!
We only really have 2 players who will be bring in sizeabel fees - Mullins & Routledge.

Charlton and Villa have been trailing Mullins for a while now and the club reportedly turned down a couple of 1m offers for Wayne in the Summer. Expect at least 1 of the 2, if not both, to leave in January when the transfer windown reopens. Palace cannot sustain losses of 50k per week; Transfer will be made, rest of our squad will not command big fees in the current market.

Bound to get a few Smart Alec replies from the "Head in the Sand" merchants to this, but I've been attending games since 1973 and apart from Administration cannot remember a tougher time 4 our club. At least when we went down to the old 3rd Division we were fairly solvent; even if the fans had to volunteer to paint the ground in the summer as the club was skint.

The Omen
26-09-2002, 05:34 PM
:rolleyes: is all I can be bothered to reply with. :rolleyes:

Gazza2
26-09-2002, 05:39 PM
I know it is an obvious conclusions to be made from our current financial posistion. Remember Gillingham having a similar prospect (James Corbett), also a young winger. Played about 12 1st team games b4 Blackburn snapped him up for a couple of million. When clubs were only allowed one sub, the top sides had smaller squads than today = promosing young players would stay with their starter club for 2 or 3 years in the 1st team, nowadays they r snapped up pretty damn quick. Just wanted to make sure that people were not under the illusison that we would be watching Wayne in a Palace shirt 4 seasons 2 come.

Cleon
26-09-2002, 05:39 PM
One :rolleyes: is all I can be bothered with.

Psychokiller
26-09-2002, 05:42 PM
I can hardly be bothered even to press the:rolleyes: button

The Omen
26-09-2002, 05:45 PM

Sandowneagle
27-09-2002, 11:34 PM
Mullins - 2.93 to Ipswich when they go up. Nobody wants him.

Routledge - true.

CPFC_R_GREAT
27-09-2002, 11:44 PM
Just to break the mould i'll post with a(n) :afro:

AddiscombeEagle
27-09-2002, 11:47 PM
How about one letting a :moo: join the party

PalaceFan in Alabama
27-09-2002, 11:51 PM
Maybe instead of R & M off, maybe it should have been Gazza2 Off Eventually :eek:

Let me think, what can I do to start a thread about the problems facing CPFC and many other clubs?

I got it AFB & James are one and the same person and they will expose themselves at the Seaweed game :eek:

Do you think it is too late to sell Steve Kember?

Fide et Fiducia
28-09-2002, 01:02 AM
B:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ring!!!:sob:

28-09-2002, 01:12 AM
As I keep on saying to all the gloom'n'doom mongers and worry bead twitchers, DON'T PANIC - it can't be long now before Craig Harrison is back to full match fitness - problem solved.

selhurst star
28-09-2002, 01:14 AM
So suprised at this 'new news'

StevieCsredandbluearmy
28-09-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Gazza2
With the club currently losing an estimated 50k per week (which is figure quoted by Simon Jordan) and cost cutting measures unlikely to save anything like that, there is only 1 possible option open to the club management to make good the losses - sell players!
We only really have 2 players who will be bring in sizeabel fees - Mullins & Routledge.

So why did we pay 2.4million for Akinbiyi. It doesn't make sense for a club in Palace's position to pay that sort of money, even for a good player, which, in my opinion, he is not. The big problem is that Noades still owns the ground, so the revenue from the Dons, Crystals etc. goes to him and, no doubt, Palace pay a hefty rent as well. Pity the possible move to a refurbished Crystal Palace national recreation centre will be years away, if it happens at all.

cpfcben
28-09-2002, 07:32 AM
shut up up!you do speak rubbish

big up to ma mum

Walrus
01-10-2002, 04:12 AM
I'm sure SJ would love to cash in on young Wayne, but I doubt he's going to do it during the season unless someone dangled something like 4 or 5 million in front of him. Jermaine Jenas anyone ?

Wayne's was well known as a prospect within the football world for some time before his "breakthrough" this season and look, he's still here.

He's the one to build the future around, hopefully SJ is aware of this.

As for Hayden, as many said pre-season selling him for anything like 2mil would be very good business for us. Can't see many prem clubs taking the gamble though although Charlton and Villa are already looking at the trapdoor down to Div 1 and getting twitchy.

sexyrazor
01-10-2002, 11:58 AM
Hayden will be with us for the rest of theis season and half of next........:)

In my opinion anyway;)

pedro
01-10-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by sexyrazor

In my opinion anyway;)

Is that how long he has left on his contract?

dannyturner
01-10-2002, 01:00 PM
When the next transfer window opens we will be vying for a play off position so no one will be leaving!!!!!

grovesy77
01-10-2002, 01:19 PM
Unfortunately I totally agree that Hayden will be sold, Probably in the new year for about 1.5m.

Next to go will be Jules, mainly to avoid him going on a bosman. I'd expect a similiar fee.

As for WR, I'd always though his stay at the Palace would be short lived.
I think he will have to leave for his own developement, he's clearly quite a talent. My view is that he will go in approx. 2 years. He is already a regular in the england U19s and to move up to the U21s you have to be with a premier league club, just look at Jenas and his move to Newcastle.

Good luck Hayden & Jules.

Just remember to to enjoy the WR time at the Palace, a star of the future!

Cleon
01-10-2002, 01:24 PM
Why do people enjoy being so defeatist about this?

Why can't we say that we want to keep our young stars and build a decent team, or are people convinced that we will never be a Premiership club?

Daddy Long
01-10-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by sexyrazor

In my opinion anyway;)

I hear you. He won't want to be moving for a while yet

TF's brain cell
01-10-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by StevieCsredandbluearmy
So why did we pay 2.4million for Akinbiyi.....

Thats what makes me laugh/cry/bangmyheadagainstabrickwall. People bang on about us being skint.
If Jordan or Francis had bothered to view the goals scored column. they would have noticed that putting the ball in the net was not a problem!
Jordan bleated on about the backers of ITV Digital 'not having the balls' to carry on with the TV deal. He then manages to sell the one player who gave us the cutting edge in attack and could have given us a healthy top six place, and more importantly, a real chance to regain money by gaining promotion.

Jordan and Francis should be renamed Laurel and f**king Hardy!
:grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

Beanie
01-10-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by TF's brain cell

Jordan bleated on about the backers of ITV Digital 'not having the balls' to carry on with the TV deal. He then manages to sell the one player who gave us the cutting edge in attack and could have given us a healthy top six place, and more importantly, a real chance to regain money by gaining promotion.
[/list]

Jordan and Francis should be renamed Laurel and f**king Hardy!
:grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

How do you keep a player who wants to go? Clinton Morrision did not, I am sure, work for the transfer, but once the chance came he decided it was right for him to go. If the club needed the money, then he was the only player who would bring in that sort of cash, and the future of the club matters more than one player, if they didn't then there is still no point trying to keep a player who has decided it is time to move on. If the club didn't need the money and CM hadn't wanted to go, he only had to say "No" as Hermann and Holland did at Ipswich. They stayed even though the club did need the money - and said so.

So, selling CM was either good for the club, because it brought in money needed, or it was good for the club because a player who would otherwise have been unsettled moved on , or it was good for the club for BOTH reasons. The only way it could have been bad for the club would have been if CM had been forced out for money we didn't really need. Anybody think that happened?

David
02-10-2002, 08:03 PM
Jordan eyes salary cuts: Palace stars could be sold as chairman tightens belt
From The Croydon Guardian
By Joseph O Shea

The revelation that chairman Simon Jordan wants to slash 97,000 off the average Palace player wage could see some of the club's highest earners leaving when the transfer window reopens in January.

The impact of lost revenue from ITV Digital's collapse, a deflated transfer market and the new Premiership transfer window is now starting to take hold on Division One clubs, with Watford announcing a 12 per cent pay deferral for players and staff last week.

Jordan told a Sunday newspaper: "Seven or eight clubs will be going into administration by the end of the season, if not before.

"My personal cash call from Palace is 4.5m of my own money this year, on top of the 27m I've already spent. If it wasn't for my money, Palace would have to go into administration and then into liquidation."

Having sold Clinton Morrison for 4 million this summer and shrewdly spending just over 1.5m on five first team players, Palace are in a better position than most but Jordan is actively cutting expenses, such as matchday refreshments for the boardroom and Palace staff.

However, he told the Observer he believes the main problem is player salaries.

Jordan said: "We have all been paying players too much. The average wage bill among Palace's players is 297,000 per year and I have to get that down to around 200,000 - which is still a very good salary in this division - if we are to stop losing money."

The Morrison sale, together with the departures of Rodger, Kirovski, Hopkin and Berhalter, has considerably reduced the wage bill, with Trevor Francis looking to smaller clubs for replacements.

Former club captain Dean Austin is on the transfer list and the process could continue in January with Hayden Mullins heading to Birmingham for the best part of 2.25m before his current deal expires in July. The longest serving purchase Jamie Smith could also be on his way, along with Andrejs Rubins and Aki Riihilahti, if bids are received.

Last week Palace moved to bring in cover for injured keepers Clarke and Kolinko, with Burnley's Nic Michopoulos on a one-month loan and out-of-contract German Sven Scheuer on a week-to-week basis, further evidence of the club's prudence.

Palace are also looking into the possibility of moving into any new stadium development at Crystal Palace National Sports Centre.

Sport England have undertaken a feasibility study into redevelopment of the current site or complete rebuilding and have approached Palace and Fulham FC about playing home games there.

13:45 Wednesday 2nd October 2002

I would be sad to see all these players leave, if it happens. Mullins has been superb this season and it would be a shame to see him leave as he is a product of our successful youth team. It sounds in the article as if it has been agreed.

Brett
02-10-2002, 08:06 PM
If Mullins' contract is up in July are Palace want to offload, then I'd imagine a fee more in the region of 750,000 would be more realistic.

That not to say that Mullins isnt worth 2.25m (or that he is), but very rarely do you see players with less than a year on their contracts commanding relatively high fees. Especially Nationwide League players.

The Vicar
02-10-2002, 08:08 PM
If Mullins does go to Brum in January, it really will be almost too much to take.

Bruce leaves, we get Francis, and then Bruce gets our best players (Morrison and Mullins). We had most of the pieces last year -- we only needed a good centre back for cover, and a creative midfielder. We've thrown it all away. We really will be an average club -- without much to look forward to. :sob:

Daddy Long
02-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Mullins will not want to leave unless he is pushed out.

So yes, he may be leaving.

David
02-10-2002, 08:25 PM
I think Mullins has this year and then next year left, I think he signed a new contract when Clinton did, during the Smith reign. It was a 5 year contract I believe.

Cleon
02-10-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by David
I think Mullins has this year and then next year left, I think he signed a new contract when Clinton did, during the Smith reign. It was a 5 year contract I believe.

Agreed, this is lazy journalism. Mullins signed a contract in 2001 which will see him through to the summer of 2004.

aadams
02-10-2002, 08:35 PM
Offload the following :-
Craig Harrison
Dean Austin
Jamie Smith
Kit Symons

Daddy Long
02-10-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
Agreed, this is lazy journalism. Mullins signed a contract in 2001 which will see him through to the summer of 2004.

That doesn't matter though if Jordan needs to sell. However, as I said before Hayden, will not want to leave unless pushed.

pete eagle
02-10-2002, 08:39 PM
considering that Jordan said he would be unlikely to receive any offers for players. I don't think anyone will be leaving in Janurary but apart from Julian and Tommy he is unlikely to renew contracts in the summer

Ben H
02-10-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by aadams
Offload the following :-
Craig Harrison
Dean Austin
Jamie Smith
Kit Symons

3 of those players are injured so who's going to buy them.

..and who in their right mind would take Austin anyway?

Daddy Long
02-10-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle
but apart from Julian and Tommy he is unlikely to renew contracts in the summer

maybe even not them..................

Simon Forrest
02-10-2002, 08:46 PM
Do NOT sell Mullins. I love that little guy :sob:

Ben H
02-10-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
maybe even not them..................

And Jordan seriously expects TF to mount a promotion challenge..?:rolleyes:

aadams
02-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
3 of those players are injured so who's going to buy them.

..and who in their right mind would take Austin anyway?

Correct, they are injured at the moment, but make it known they are not required & give them enough notice to find other clubs.
I thought Symons & Harrison were back in training? as, for Deano your right nobody would want him, but what do we do keep paying & not playing him?

Daddy Long
02-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Jordan has stated that players will not be offered improved deals, he is looking to cut wage costs. Players with an iota of potential who have been chased by other bigger clubs will not settle for reduced terms when they know that they can move for free for more money. Even the same money as they were previously on at Palace is better than less wages. All players out of contract at the end of this season are in this boat. Those players who are young, who have been scouted by bigger clubs, and who are disillusioned at Palace (most players) will leave. Simple as that.

AJ1969
02-10-2002, 09:09 PM
Where are they going to earn more money? Yes that's right, the premiership. Are any of them premiership quality? No, they're not, with the exception of Mullins on a very good day and Routledge in about 3 years time. In other words they won't be going anywhere unless their contracts expire in which case they may just be offloaded. IMHO we should get rid of Harrison and Austin who are both an absolute waste of space but as for the others we have to keep them to even stand half a chance of going up this season :clown:

Bitter
02-10-2002, 09:11 PM
Wage cuts would only work if everyone does it. I do wonder whether Fordan is being brave by voicing what everyone is thinking or whether he's being stupid by alerting the players to their small value to him and the club.
If I were at a company under the guidance of such a chairman I would want away a.s.a.p. However, if all chairmen were singing the same tune there'd be nowhere to go.
Is it my imagination or did the worst of the smaller clubs financial problems start with the formation of the Premier League, something CPFC under Uncle Ron were party to?

Brett
02-10-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Bitter
Is it my imagination or did the worst of the smaller clubs financial problems start with the formation of the Premier League, something CPFC under Uncle Ron were party to?

Only because of Chairmen overspending surely?

Interest (attendances) is at an all-time post war high. And believe it or not, there is more money in the Football Laegue than ever before (even taking into account, inflation, cost of living etc).

Its ill qualified, and ill informed Chairmen who are the problem.

ozeagle
02-10-2002, 09:20 PM
offload AKI...

not only for the cash but for the positive team / play effect.

i can see you all nodding in agreeance

it's hard i know, but i called it first.

:p

Ralph
02-10-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Cleon

Non-Promotoin release clause? Or is this just in Champ Man.

Anyway what a lot of people are forgetting is that almost all the clubs in our division are going to weaken. It will be a shame to see Smith or Mullins go but its more than likely that teams with already weaker squads than ours will have to sell more players than we will. The only strange thing is why Jordan is mouthing off about it showing clubs how desperate we are. What a strange man!?

Hopefully however Jordan has learned from his mistakes and will save us from ruin before its too late, no matter who he has to sell.

Ben H
02-10-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Brett

Interest (attendances) is at an all-time post war high. And believe it or not, there is more money in the Football Laegue than ever before (even taking into account, inflation, cost of living etc).

..add a few other factors such as the rat-race to get into the Premiership; and relegation from the Premiership and subsequent (much) lower incomes but inherrent Premiership overheads.

Bitter
02-10-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Brett

I don't agree. I think that the sole reason the Premier League was formed was to ensure that the existing division of wealth was changed to ensure that the top division clubs received a larger proportion of the money in the whole football league.
Clearly there are many ill-advised or ill-informed chairmen, but the support of smaller clubs by bigger clubs has become much smaller as those bigger clubs source more talent from overseas than from the lower divisions. This effect, coupled with the smaller share of TV revenue, has contributed to the current problems.

John from Beare Green
02-10-2002, 09:59 PM
Jordan didn't say how soon he intends to cut the wage bill to 200,000 per player. So this does not imply he intends to sell players in January.

Sunny Fan
02-10-2002, 10:04 PM
Lazy journalism I'd agree; as far as I know Aki is some way off being one of the highest earners at the club, so why mention him in the article?

rednbluevegas
02-10-2002, 10:41 PM
This is not a situation just facing Palace.

Everyone with the exception of Aresenal, Liverpool and United are facing this problem of wages being a huge drain on resources. Chelsea operated last year with wages accounting for 65% of turnover - a suicidal situation and one that they have been working to address. Jordan has not stated that he needs to cull the squad - he has said he needs to get the wage bill down - 2 very different things.

Where are our plyers going to go to if they are unhappy with the new terms anyway? Watford! Leicester! Derby! The can only go to the Prem to get a better deal and they won't find one there - every club is now preparing for the renewal of the Sky deal and that will be for less money that the current one.

Football is undergoing a cash flow re-alignment globally. Sure Jules and Mullins may be able to find themselves a better deal at another club as they are good players at an early stage in their careers - but that would be it and they would be replaced with someone from the lower levels and we as a club would go on.

I think we are about to return to the days when Palace would sign a raw player from the 3rd, 2nd or Conference, chuck them in the first team and then sell them on in 2 or 3 years for a nice profit. We will be able to offer better terms than say Notts County, but not as good as someone like Spurs. If a 200k salary gets us to a break even cash flow figure then that my friends is what we can afford.

AJ
02-10-2002, 10:47 PM
I think Jordan has the upper hand here. If all the first team players were to be realeased today, I wonder how many would actually find another club in Division One or higher and earn at least the same as they are making today?

Maybe Routledge, but, I doubt many others would. Even Mullins and Freedman would be lucky to find an an increased offer.

I do think most of the others are capable of finding other clubs, but, it would be for much reduced salaries. Even Austin could drop a Division and as long as he was prepared to get paid D2 salary, he would get picked up.

This is also true of most Division One teams, I think the bottom has fallen out of the Football League and many players who are due to be releases at the end of this season should be very worried about their future.

Celestial Empire
02-10-2002, 10:57 PM
You're missing the point.
If players are offered real hope of promotion, (thus better wages and status in the Prem), they'll be happy to stay and work their socks off (Norwich).
The big-mouth, negative, but don't-seem-to-care-about-promotion duo of SJ & TF are just killing the club spirit, thus any upside potential.

Levski
02-10-2002, 11:04 PM
Our squad is too big anyway. There's too many reserves sat there doing nothing and taking their wages, without ever threatening the first team squad for team places. I think Jordan is talking about doing the right thing. I'd like to see us spend less on wages, and concentrate more on making the youth academy a really top-class one.

Players such as:

Rubins, Smith, Austin, Harrison, Symons, Frampton could all go without any real impact on the first team's chances of promotion (which are, frankly zero anyway). Time to keep a solid core of 8-10 first teamers on higher wages, about 6 reserves on lesser wages, and rely on youth players for the periphery. We can get loans in if we need to cover for injuries.

Every organisation is looking to minimize its exposure to overhead payments. This is sensible as it looks as if we are maybe on the brink of a recession. UK is definitely getting into a short-term economic slowdown, whatever Gordon Brown says.

I wouldn't shed any tears if Mullins and Aki are offloaded (but who on earth would want Aki?) It is important to keep the playing staff lean, assuming there is enough talent in the youth team to keep the first-teamers on their toes. There needs to be competition for places, but there needs NOT to be wasters like Rubins sat there taking their wages and doing nothing.

will hung
02-10-2002, 11:15 PM
i think the priority for clubs at the moment is survival not promotion, if Jordan has decided he has to cut the wage bill then players must be sold/released for the long-term fututre of the club. Of course many of the problems Jordan faces are of his own making think of the money squandered during his reign - the Jumbotron, David Hopkins, Akinbiyi etc

Latvian
02-10-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Mullins will not want to leave unless he is pushed out.

So yes, he may be leaving.

Nor did Clint

BaldEagle96
02-10-2002, 11:33 PM
At the end of it all we have to survive! If we need to get rid of some players in order to do this then so be it. Of those being quoted as possibles to go the only one who would be a loss is Mullins. And only then when he plays as if he wants to be playing. How many times has he turned up and given a couldn't care less performance. When he tries he is class though.

Aki/Deano try their hardest but really aren't up to much. Who though is going to want to sign them and pay current salaries.

It may take a year or two to sort this whole money issue out and hopefully Jordan will stand by us and continue to take money from his own pocket to see us through.

What's the alternative. Keep all the players, let Jordan walk and then what. Back to the good old days of administration when we can sell our players for 25 each!!

John.K
02-10-2002, 11:35 PM
Smith or Fleming, Smith, Popovic Symons Powell/Mullins back 3 yes! Symons is a quality experienced player which we desperately needed on Sunday and Smith is younger more attacking, better crosser, commited and a great tackler and fighter! :D Symons although needs to cut his wage by 9.5%:p

Malakite
02-10-2002, 11:55 PM
I don't think we will be buying OR selling anyone over the next few months.....besides we need more time for our current players to gell properly surely??

Gooders
03-10-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by rednbluevegas

Where are our plyers going to go to if they are unhappy with the new terms anyway? Watford! Leicester! Derby! The can only go to the Prem to get a better deal and they won't find one there - every club is now preparing for the renewal of the Sky deal and that will be for less money that the current one.

Quite right.

Almost every club other than the big few is in the same boat so where exactly will all of these players who are allegedly unhappy go to?

There's only so many players that even Portsmouth can sign.

Jimbo ?
03-10-2002, 02:55 PM
so the transfer windows are actually a good thing!! or atleast in football terms they seem to be - we can actually put off selling players until a window come around.

arussell
03-10-2002, 02:57 PM
I can't say I am worried too much OR would argue against players like Aki, Austin and Jamie Smith being moved on or let go. I'd even go further and add someone like injury prone Matt Clarke to that list as well. Whether anyone would actually want them though is a different matter.

I'll be sorry to see Mullins sold if he is (which I would say is looking likely), but we also have some very promising players coming through as well, and the only way to clear a path for them is to offload some players. Obviously, the sooner they can gain first team experience, the better it'll be for us.

I don't think there's any need to be too downcast, players like Derry won't be leaving anytime soon unless someone comes in with a silly bid (not likely).

Latvian Eagle
03-10-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by arussell
I'd even go further and add someone like injury prone Matt Clarke to that list as well.

:sob: Al how could you?!

pete eagle
03-10-2002, 07:54 PM
I think Julian will get a new contract, one because no Premiership club would be interested in him and two because he is unlikely to get a better anywhere else in the division.

Icy
03-10-2002, 08:44 PM
Ive got to agree with everything Levski has already said.

The current squad is oversized and has too many players on high wages that are injury prone or spend their time sat on the subs bench (if there lucky). Pheriperal players (like Austin) and those that are clearly not good enough (like Harrison and IMO Thomson) should be sold.

The key players should be kept even if the wages are high with others we would like to keep given the chance to take a pay cut or go. Tthis should give us the room to bring in the youth players.

At the end of the day many of the other clubs are in a worse situation than us so in the long run it may even help us out

wedgetail
03-10-2002, 10:20 PM
I can't agree about Jamie Smith being on the list. I admit that last season he was below his best but it was clearly because of his injury. If he comes back fully fit he should be first choice for right back.

CPFC Cheerleader Observer
05-10-2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Icy
Ive got to agree with everything Levski has already said.

The current squad is oversized and has too many players on high wages that are injury prone or spend their time sat on the subs bench (if there lucky). Pheriperal players (like Austin) and those that are clearly not good enough (like Harrison and IMO Thomson) should be sold.

The key players should be kept even if the wages are high with others we would like to keep given the chance to take a pay cut or go. Tthis should give us the room to bring in the youth players.

At the end of the day many of the other clubs are in a worse situation than us so in the long run it may even help us out

I tend to agree with you there.

:)

StevieCsredandbluearmy
15-10-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by beestey
As I keep on saying to all the gloom'n'doom mongers and worry bead twitchers, DON'T PANIC - it can't be long now before Craig Harrison is back to full match fitness - problem solved.

Worrying thought that. I am not a great fan of Granville but he is light years better than Craig Harrison. We do buy some awful players, don't we??

MAFL
16-10-2002, 12:21 AM
Why cant we loan out players to other clubs so they can get some first team experience?

Beanie
16-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by MAFL
Why cant we loan out players to other clubs so they can get some first team experience?

Perhaps because other clubs don't want / can't afford to borrow them. Kabba is out at Grimsby for another few weeks.

It wasn't me!
16-10-2002, 03:23 PM
I think Julian will get a new contract, one because no Premiership club would be interested in him and two because he is unlikely to get a better anywhere else in the division.

Now that IS funny!!! :D

Daddy Long
16-10-2002, 03:25 PM

1) But will he sign it. From what I understand players are not being offered improved deals.

2)Premiership clubs are interested. And have made bids in the past. And will again. Because he has potential. Whether he is the finished product yet or not is irrelevant.

3)See above. He is unlikely to remain in this division.

kit82
16-10-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by MAFL

This is exactly what I have been wondering lately.

I believe that young Gareth Williams should be loaned out to a div 3 team who have a lack of strikers for the season, as he wont get a chance this season behind Doug, Adebola, Akinbiyi, Johnson, Kabba and sometimes even Black!

He may as well be getting some experience of 1st team action. Man U have proved in the past what a benefit it can be to let young players go out on loan before they are ready for the first team.

There are also others youngsters on the verge of first team action that could be given a loan to see how they fare. Borrowdale, Hunt, Antwi etc all of which have been getting quite good reports on here for the last couple of seasons.

Gooders
16-10-2002, 05:15 PM
It wasn't me defends Julian shocker.

arussell
16-10-2002, 05:27 PM
I don't believe there is any reason to loan out Gareth Williams. He is hungry for first team football, scoring goals in the reserves and is good enough.

In fact - I don't believe any of the second tier players at Palace need loan spells elsewhere, as they are looking sharp enough for us to use, or in some instances need more games at reserve level before making any further judgement.

One exception though - I'd be tempted to give Will Antwi a month at a second division club to give him some experience.

On the Gray question of a new contract. If you're asking if he deserves a new one, at the moment the answer is no. In any case - he probably will be offered another (assuming he's not sold in January - if he's fit enough), but on substantially less terms.

I'd take a guess and say that he'll turn it down (unless he loves us enough to want to stay that is :) )

Beanie
16-10-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by kit82
This is exactly what I have been wondering lately.

I believe that young Gareth Williams should be loaned out to a div 3 team who have a lack of strikers for the season, as he wont get a chance this season behind Doug, Adebola, Akinbiyi, Johnson, Kabba and sometimes even Black!

He may as well be getting some experience of 1st team action. Man U have proved in the past what a benefit it can be to let young players go out on loan before they are ready for the first team.

There are also others youngsters on the verge of first team action that could be given a loan to see how they fare. Borrowdale, Hunt, Antwi etc all of which have been getting quite good reports on here for the last couple of seasons.

Which 3rd division club do you suggest could actually cover even Palace's youngsters wages? Rushden perhaps, that's about it. It would indeed be good for Palace, but it's the borrowing club that does the asking and the paying, so not a lot Palace can do.

Beanie
16-10-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by arussell
On the Gray question of a new contract. If you're asking if he deserves a new one, at the moment the answer is no. In any case - he probably will be offered another (assuming he's not sold in January - if he's fit enough), but on substantially less terms.

I'd take a guess and say that he'll turn it down (unless he loves us enough to want to stay that is :) )

I wonder how long an offer would be on the table. Lets say just for example that the new deal is 20% lower, he turns it down - but still has to go out and find a club which will better Palaces offer. I wonder just how easy that would be, and how long he would have to come back to Palace and sign the deal.

This surely is the dilemma facing players now.

arussell
16-10-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
This surely is the dilemma facing players now.

Well put.

The only teams offering contracts on terms that players will be looking for are premier league clubs, and most of those will not be looking to pay too much over the odds since they hold all the trump cards now.