PDA

View Full Version : Nigel Martyn

Gavin Axten
28-09-2002, 08:49 PM
I know we have the Greek bloke from Burnley now so it won't happen but wouldn't it have been nice if we could have got Nigel on loan instead for a few months.

Snorwood Eagle
28-09-2002, 08:57 PM
England's Number 1 back at Palace!

If only...

biggus mickus
28-09-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Gavin Axten
I know we have the Greek bloke from Burnley now so it won't happen but wouldn't it have been nice if we could have got Nigel on loan instead for a few months.
Bloody good call. The wages would be a problem, but I am sureNigel would have liked first team football.

Chobham Eagle
28-09-2002, 11:03 PM
But would Vegetables have let him go?

Trolley
28-09-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by biggus mickus
Bloody good call. The wages would be a problem, but I am sureNigel would have liked first team football.

Nigel Martyn has been "On the Bench" whilst the young laddie has been first team choice and I am certain that he would NOT have been allowed to join our team on-loan.

If my recollection is correct, The laddie from Greece is a good shot stopper a la Kolinko but like our keeper, crosses are NOT handled with great confidence and he does appear to punch rather a great deal.

Sir.S.C Remembered
29-09-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Trolley

If my recollection is correct, The laddie from Greece is a good shot stopper a la Kolinko but like our keeper, crosses are NOT handled with great confidence and he does appear to punch rather a great deal.

Exactly the way I have assessed him! I am frightened when I see myself agreeing with so much of Trolley's posts, no offence but surely our age difference should tell in our opinions (I don't just mean about things like this keeper as that does not prove my point)

Not a bad keeper to have in on loan though by any means! Better than Steve MAutone anyway!

Grim Reaper
29-09-2002, 01:46 AM
If Nige ever does play for Palace again his next game will be a milestone as it would be his 350th game for us.

Trolley
30-09-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
Exactly the way I have assessed him! I am frightened when I see myself agreeing with so much of Trolley's posts, no offence but surely our age difference should tell in our opinions (I don't just mean about things like this keeper as that does not prove my point)

Miracles will never cease !

With regard to the Greek Keeper, I am wondering whether he might have been rather more positive and elected to come and catch the ball instead of putting Mr Mullins in a rather ineviable position for the second Gillingham goal.

The ball was crossed into the 6 yard box and I would have thought this was one for the goalkeeper to claim.

Perhaps I am being a tad unkind to the goalkeeper who was certainly NOT at fault with the first goal.The man culpuable was Granville who allowed the attacker to turn rather too easily.
An exceedingly soft goal to conceed.

StevieCsredandbluearmy
15-10-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Trolley
Miracles will never cease !

With regard to the Greek Keeper, I am wondering whether he might have been rather more positive and elected to come and catch the ball instead of putting Mr Mullins in a rather ineviable position for the second Gillingham goal.

The ball was crossed into the 6 yard box and I would have thought this was one for the goalkeeper to claim.

Perhaps I am being a tad unkind to the goalkeeper who was certainly NOT at fault with the first goal.The man culpuable was Granville who allowed the attacker to turn rather too easily.
An exceedingly soft goal to conceed.

I am not sure I would put him in charge of the plate catching in a Greek restaurant. I know it was his first game against Gillingham, but I thought he was truly awful and cost us a game we dominated for long periods. THF let the German guy go who is a better keeper.

Beanie
16-10-2002, 03:14 PM
I think it's a bit unfair judging Michopoulos (sp?) on the Gillingham game. I'm not sure he even had a full training session with the team, and one of the keys in defence is knowing what those around you will do. When the keeper is so new one of two things is bound to happen at least once - either defender and keeper both go for the same ball, or they both leave it to each other. Either way it is generally the keeper who looks a fool.

What about a view since that first game?

and anyway, won't Kolinko be back Saturday?

Ruskin Old Boy
17-10-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Beanie

and anyway, won't Kolinko be back Saturday?

He can't take goal kicks (other Latvian defenders had to take them against Poland) so don't expect TF to pick him.

Beanie
17-10-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
He can't take goal kicks (other Latvian defenders had to take them against Poland) so don't expect TF to pick him.

Didn't know that, but I'd say he should be picked if he is the best option to do his main role - keep the ball out, which he did okay Saturday. He rarely kicks from hand, and what is the problem with somebody else taking the goal kicks? On the other hand in the physio says he's not generally up to it, and will benefit from a bit more rest, then it's Michopolous again.

Ruskin Old Boy
17-10-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Didn't know that,

All Greek to me as well:o

dicky_boy
20-10-2002, 04:20 PM
It would have been good to see Nigel back between the stick's again.