PDA

View Full Version : Dean Austin released

Diehard
31-10-2002, 11:48 AM
The Express reports today that Deano has been released, is this true? Apparently to ease the wage bill.
I think he was a great asset to us for his passion and pride especially in the dark days when loyalty was paramount. I accept that he made mistakes on the park but for 90% of a game he would perform very well. Perhaps he was a bit unlucky because whenever he dropped a clanger the opposition seemed to score!

Thanks Deano and best wishes with your next Club (Brighton probably)

Gooders
31-10-2002, 11:52 AM
If true, then I would like to wish him well.

A whole-hearted but limited player who always tried.

Good luck Deano.

arussell
31-10-2002, 11:55 AM
I'd agree with that Gooders - whatever Deano's fault's, he did ALWAYS give his best for us. Good luck to him - will be interested to see where he winds up next.

budgie
31-10-2002, 11:56 AM
He could do worse than try Brighton, at least he'd play regularly as they'd be little competition.

glaziers fan
31-10-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Diehard

Thanks Deano and best wishes with your next Club (Brighton probably)

hopefully:p :D

RDSdaEAGLE
31-10-2002, 12:06 PM
Deano was committed, hard working and loyal...more than can be said about some of our players.

Good luck Dean! :p

Benzhiyi
31-10-2002, 12:06 PM
All the best, Deano.

A player who never let the barrage of criticism from the Selhurst boo boys (sound familiar) get to him, and chipped in with some great performances when it mattered. Thanks for all the effort over the last five years...

BVB Bob
31-10-2002, 12:24 PM
Yeah, good luck Deano. We all have bad games but you always gave it 100%, even when we "the fans" sometimes used you as a scapegoat. If I could clap on the internet, I'd be giving it some "upside down, wrists bent back above the head stylee". I think you know what I mean.

SKATE
31-10-2002, 12:36 PM
Always had a bit of a soft spot for Deano - even if 50% of the time he was pretty crap. Ironically I think the last few times he played for us he was in one of his good phases. All the best. Clapping along with BVB Bob.

Riccardo
31-10-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by BVB Bob
If I could clap on the internet, I'd be giving it some "upside down, wrists bent back above the head stylee". I think you know what I mean.

:D

Too right, always gave 100%, and ALWAYS clapped the Holmesdale no matter what sh!t some of us would give him...a little sad to see him go actually...weird.

Skin Up
31-10-2002, 12:40 PM
Kind of like an end of an era job, he's been with us for five years but it seems longer.

Good luck Deano.

Psychokiller
31-10-2002, 12:43 PM
One Dean Austin is worth 100 Valerian Ismaels in my book.

Best of luck Dean, and cheers for the memories.

Elephant with mouse gyp
31-10-2002, 12:47 PM
I didn't like him when he was at Tottenham and liked him much less at Palace. I don't agree that he always gave 100%. He was often caught napping and caught out of position which means he wasn't concentrating. He also often pointed the finger of blame at others when he had made a mistake which used to drive me nearly insane and I'm close enough to the nut house already thanks.

Dave
31-10-2002, 12:52 PM
Sorry to see the man with more OPTA assists last season than Julian Gray has been released.

Good luck Deano

DANGERMOUSE
31-10-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
I didn't like him when he was at Tottenham and liked him much less at Palace. I don't agree that he always gave 100%. He was often caught napping and caught out of position which means he wasn't concentrating. He also often pointed the finger of blame at others when he had made a mistake which used to drive me nearly insane and I'm close enough to the nut house already thanks. That's a bit harsh, Elephant.

His distribution was always a bit ropey, but he did always give 100% - more than some supposedly better players (like Mullins). And he did have good periods - remember a couple of seasons ago when he was the only player to have scored for about 10 games?

I think Deano can go down as, if not a Palace Legend, then Palace Hero (Second Class).

Psychokiller
31-10-2002, 12:59 PM
I didn't like him when he was at Tottenham and liked him much less at Palace. I don't agree that he always gave 100%. He was often caught napping and caught out of position which means he wasn't concentrating. He also often pointed the finger of blame at others when he had made a mistake which used to drive me nearly insane and I'm close enough to the nut house already thanks.

Jeez! That's a bit harsh? What did he do? Make a sexist joke once or something???:(

Ben H
31-10-2002, 01:02 PM
Good luck Deano, the reserves will be worse off without you. As for the first team, I'm just pleased that TF has seen sense where previous managers didn't.

fieldy
31-10-2002, 01:12 PM
Well I've got to agree with EMWG I've always disliked Dean "The Dustman" Austin, totally sh*te in footballing terms, no touch, no control, couldn't pass, lack of pace, complete liability really and undoubtedly lost us points, not all unhappy to see him go, quite delighted actually, just suprised it has taken this long to get rid of the overpaid donkey. Goodbye DA doubt we'll see you again with a professional club, enjoy the Non League circuit. :D

Cue "But he was magnificent against Portsmouth" his one and only half decent game!

RichieG
31-10-2002, 01:14 PM
I don't understand this, if we've had to pay up his contract surely we would have been better keeping him as cover?

But then if he's had an offer of first team football and we haven't had to pay him off then good luck Deano, agree with all the positive sentiments above, thanks for appreciating the fans etc......

Scotland's No9
31-10-2002, 01:17 PM
How long did Deano have left on his contract?

I seem to remember reading that it wasn't long. If this is the case why was he paid off?

I've a mate (I know, spurious) who works at Sky and a bloke there knows Austin. Apparently he loathes Francis and constantly slags him off.

Could it be that Francis has had him removed for either personal or team moral reasons?

I'm not a big believer in posting second hand gossip, but in this case 2+2 is beginning to make 4.

RednBlue
31-10-2002, 01:18 PM
Big heart, always gave of his best although limited, appreciated the fans.
Good luck Deano wherever you go. :p

Snorwood Eagle
31-10-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by BVB Bob
Yeah, good luck Deano. We all have bad games but you always gave it 100%, even when we "the fans" sometimes used you as a scapegoat. If I could clap on the internet, I'd be giving it some "upside down, wrists bent back above the head stylee". I think you know what I mean.

Yep, good luck Deano - I'm doing the upside-down clap too! Always gave his all, and kept on going, all the way to the end (unlike many of his team-mates down the years.)

In a funny way, it will be very weird not having Deano around the place anymore. Thanks for your committment and loyalty through the dark days too.

AndyChapman
31-10-2002, 01:19 PM
good luck deano top bloke. Hpoe u find a good club. Thanxs 4 the 110% effort u always gave!

Sorry 2 c u leave.(If u r leaveing).
:sob:

Jimbo ?
31-10-2002, 01:24 PM
Bets of luck to him - Anything official from the club???

Noodles 42
31-10-2002, 01:26 PM
I too am sorry to see him go, and appreciated his hard work and effort, but what's all this about 'loyalty'? Loyalty in football is a myth - unless you're a supporter.

Good luck for the future Deano & thanks for the service.

CK
31-10-2002, 01:28 PM
Goodbye and thanks for all the effort. If some of our so called 'more talented' squad members showed the same commitment maybe things would be different.

Good luck.

Tarby
31-10-2002, 01:30 PM
Put all this sentimental rubbish aside, he was awful. I know expect to see him challenging Paul Daniels as TV's top illusionist, he had most of you fooled for years after all.

Hope he joins Wimbledon, he can do his embarrassing upside down clap to all 5 people in the Holmesdale.

Still, he did try....bless him...:rolleyes:

Elephant with mouse gyp
31-10-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Sorry to see the man with more OPTA assists last season than Julian Gray has been released.

OPTA is to real football what pot noodles are to real chinese food.

Look, the bloke was a con artist. He had the outward signs of 'effort' off pat, like huffing and puffing, giving away needless fouls, waving his arms at people and, of course, the sickening backwards clap...

But as for real football effort, concentrating on the play and making positional adjustments to suit, he was lazy, especially as his method of making good his frequent howlers was to berate often youthful team mates. Compare this to his contemporary Fan, who also made defensive slip ups, but who would hare back to rectify the situation. Or compare him with a similar non-touch player like Andy Thorn, who would have the grace to look shamefaced, or would hold up his arm in apology, after a blunder.

Some lazy players I like a lot (Sasa Curcic, Matt Le Tisser etc.) because they compensate by having extraordinary skill. But, as Fieldy outlines with brutal honesty, Deano was the last player in the world anyone would claim that for.

wedgetail
31-10-2002, 01:44 PM
The problem with Austin was that he honestly believed that he was a premiership player who was slumming it by playing for us.

AJ
31-10-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by RichieG
I don't understand this, if we've had to pay up his contract surely we would have been better keeping him as cover?

But then if he's had an offer of first team football and we haven't had to pay him off then good luck Deano, agree with all the positive sentiments above, thanks for appreciating the fans etc......

Paying up a contract does not always mean paying in full. Palace may have offered him 2/3rds of his contract to be released now. That gives Austin the chance to earn additional money for the next 6 months.
From Palace's perspective, the clubs monthly wage bill drops and insurance, bonuses, social security(employer's), benefits and any other costs associated with a player are dopped.

Whether or not he was crap, he was one of ours, so good luck to you Deano.

Clapham Grand
31-10-2002, 01:52 PM
Always a gentleman off the pitch as well - always had time for a chat. Good luck Deano!

AddiscombeEagle
31-10-2002, 01:57 PM
I agree that he deserves thanks for his efforts especially throughout the administration era.

Won't go down as a good player but I appreciate his efforts.

anti-addick
31-10-2002, 02:02 PM
This is great news if true!! Trying is not good enough, he's been a journeyman bleeding us for years and is a rubbish player. Sadly I used to shout "NO, don't give it to him" regularly and I was usually prooved right when he produced a trademark woeful pass. As for loyalty and helping us in the dark days, well that frankly makes me sick, he was on a winning contract that he took all the money for, he was one of the players that helped cause the problems in the first place.

I still to this day maintain that Dean Smith, former CPIFC right back, is better than Dean Austin. I'm with fieldy here.

Here's me praying this story is true! :D

PS, More assists than Gray? I know who i'd rather have in my team.

Caisterman
31-10-2002, 03:44 PM
He is not good enough. I was hoping this would happen. I am glad that we are still getting rid of the crap fringe players. Frampton went this week too.
:p

Ade55
31-10-2002, 03:55 PM
Great news !!! never rated him

good luck in the future

framptons joined brentford on a free - good luck 2 him 2

hellsbells
31-10-2002, 04:15 PM
Good Luck Deano, thanks for the most hilarious clapping style and all the memories of good tackles, bad tackles, crap passing and most importantly 100% effort.

2can
31-10-2002, 04:27 PM
I would have thought that the club would wait until Kit Symons is in contention for the first team before releasing Deano.

So who's next? Harrison? Rubins? Kabba?

anti-addick
31-10-2002, 04:39 PM
Rubins makes the first team squad and Kabba is on loan being honed in the first division - he's very young. Harrison is one of the few players more hopeless than Austin, i'd also like to see Akinbadbiyi released too personally, he's toilet.

Beanie
31-10-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by 2can
I would have thought that the club would wait until Kit Symons is in contention for the first team before releasing Deano.

So who's next? Harrison? Rubins? Kabba?

It's pretty obvious that Will Antwi is now ahead of Dean, and that a reluctant Hayden Mullins is also there. That makes Dean fifth. With Symons now working on match fitness there seems little point keeping him.

I wish him well, he played to the best of his ability and was loyal. don't see we could ask any more. The fact that the club has better players now is why he is moving on.

the_next_matt_jansen
31-10-2002, 07:47 PM
Theres only ONE Deano!!

BUNGLE
31-10-2002, 07:55 PM
Deano was awful, made my day that he has gone, apparently did really well in administration and helped us by keeping Woozley out of the team who I have always maintaned was better than him. :rolleyes:

Phil O'Sophical
31-10-2002, 08:04 PM
This appeared on Ananova earlier. What else is in store in "the 18 months of pain"?

Austin to leave Palace

Dean Austin will become the first high-profile casualty of the cost-cutting at Crystal Palace.

Eagles chairman Simon Jordan has predicted "18 months of pain" as he tries to reduce the wage bill at Selhurst Park and is in talks to terminate the defender's contract.

Austin has made more than 130 league appearances for Palace since signing on a free transfer from Tottenham four years ago.

But he has slipped out of the first-team reckoning under Trevor Francis and was stripped of the captaincy after criticising Jordan earlier this season.

Jordan said: "We are in discussions to terminate Dean's contract. The deal's done. He wants to progress his opportunities somewhere else.

"We think his first-team opportunities would be limited this year."

Story filed: 16:48 Thursday 31st October 2002

dannyturner
31-10-2002, 08:16 PM
Well done Trev. Whether Deano was good, bad, or indifferent he was just rotting in the reserves. Deano has gone, and TF brings on Will Antwi. This is definitely the way forward.

Previous managers have all harped on about how brilliant the academy is, looks like Trevor is the only one to actually use it for the good of the first team.

Good luck Deano, hopw you find something.

Has anyone actually tried to copy the famous cack handed clap. It is really quite difficult.

c_block_lad
31-10-2002, 08:44 PM
I would like to take this chance to thank Deano for his efforts in a palace shirt. "DEANO, THERE'S ONLY ONE DEANO"

Grim Reaper
31-10-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
One Dean Austin is worth 100 Valerian Ismaels in my book.

100 x 2.75M = 275M

Typical Palace - we've got a player worth loads and we're giving him away!!! :eek:

;)

Grim Reaper
31-10-2002, 09:15 PM
Strangely enough I've just finish writing a piss-take article with a reference to Austin being sacked and it's gone and happened straight away. Amazing! :eek:

Batsta
31-10-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Grim Reaper
Strangely enough I've just finish writing a piss-take article with a reference to Austin being sacked and it's gone and happened straight away. Amazing! :eek:

GR,

Any chance you can write a p1ss take article about Palace being promoted to the Premiership this season?;)

N Herts Eagle
31-10-2002, 09:32 PM
Sorry to see him go as I said elsewhere his goal at Norwich in the 1-0 win in the Admionistration year was one of the great Palace moments. Good Luck in the future Deano.

2can
31-10-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by anti-addick
Rubins makes the first team squad and Kabba is on loan being honed in the first division - he's very young. Harrison is one of the few players more hopeless than Austin, i'd also like to see Akinbadbiyi released too personally, he's toilet.

But TF does not rate Rubins and rarely uses him even when we need some creativity/pace. I don't think we'll see Kabba in a Palace shirt again - if TF rated him he would be on a short term loan so that we could recall him if we had an injury problem. Harrison was played out of position consistantly by Alan Smith as we had no other left sided defensive player, so it's harsh to say he's hopeless.

Latvian
31-10-2002, 10:12 PM
Well he came, he tried, he was wank!

Ben H
31-10-2002, 10:22 PM
Dean Austin - the only player to make me cringe in recent times.

Ben H
31-10-2002, 10:23 PM
Dean Austin - he had 2 left feet. Shame he was actually right footed.

Ben H
31-10-2002, 10:25 PM
Dean Austin - one of Vegetables' cronies, on a Vegatables' contract:veryangry

Ben H
31-10-2002, 10:26 PM
But he did try hard. " 'an he clapsus" :rolleyes:

Santos-er
31-10-2002, 10:28 PM
Austin and Frampton released in the same week as a 5-0 demolition of Brighton and 2 Andy Johnson hat-tricks!?!?

Bollocks. i'm going to wake up in a minute, I know it :D

freekickuk
31-10-2002, 10:30 PM
always gave 100%
good luck.

Ben H
31-10-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
I would like to take this chance to thank Deano for his efforts in a palace shirt. "DEANO, THERE'S ONLY ONE DEANO"

And that chant was another thing that made me cringe.

What?
31-10-2002, 11:20 PM
Good luck old buddy!

I think there is a good chance Deano might actually read this!

Canute
31-10-2002, 11:29 PM
Thanks for your efforts, Deano. Best wishes wherever you go. Glad I got to see you score.

JohnA
31-10-2002, 11:29 PM
I liked the bloke he motivated the other players, tried hard and was an honest player. OK he wasn't the most skillful player nor the fastest but he was competent and added value. I think that he will re-appear as a coach. Truth be told I think Palace are mad to let him go. But then again we have a chairman who lives in an over the top hotel suite (where's the logic in that??)

Ruskin Old Boy
01-11-2002, 09:36 AM
Best of luck Deano:p

cpfcben
01-11-2002, 09:47 AM
hats off for deano, it would be hard to find a more committed player in the last 5years let alone the current palace squad, even when he was booed he came through and in his own way became a bit of a hero!!
and his strange way of clapping always amused me greatly!!
and no one will ever forget that goal at norwich!!

best of luck

:p

Cleon
01-11-2002, 10:25 AM
As a footballer, Deano was utter rubbish. I applaud this decision wholeheartedly, as we have more promising players on less money in the reserves and the youth team. Deano has reach the age of 32, and worked throughout the most profitable time in football, so I don't really have much compassion for the guy in that sense.

However, he did 100% every time, and I have no doubt he could do a decent job in a lower league. If Bobby Zamora can score 30 goals a season in divisons 2 & 3, then Deano might well prove to be Herculean at the back of a Leyton Orient defense.

Good luck Deano, and thanks for all your hard work.

sydnsteve
01-11-2002, 11:21 AM
He was very poor, often blamed others for his mistakes, and glad to get him off the wage bill.

AJ
01-11-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Ben H
Dean Austin - he had 2 left feet. Shame he was actually right footed.

Shame they were not the left feet of Peter Taylor:sob:

PeterH
01-11-2002, 11:37 AM
All the best Dean.

Men At Work
01-11-2002, 12:06 PM
I suppose it was coming after he criticised the management over the Spain trip earlier this season but it is a bit disappointing all the same. I started following Palace properly the same time as Deano joined and I've always had a soft spot for him. Pilloried by his own fans who were always looking for a scapegoat (fortunately things have changed since then :rolleyes: ) and never quite showing a consistent level of skill for this division he was never going to be welcomed with open arms. But he put in the effort even though his game was a curate's egg most of the time. Unfortunately the mistakes always seemed to just outnumber the good pieces of work even though I though he improved over the last two seaasons when he realised there was proper competition for his place.

Apart from that Norwich goal there was the winner against Crewe (when we hadn't scored for about 15 hours) and those little dribbles he used to do when he decided to run it out of the back. With Mullins (I think) he was currently our longest serving player in the first team so it is always a bit sad when people like that move on. On the bright side since he has been released from his contract he is free to join another club outside of the transfer window. Perhaps that was the club's farewell gift to him.

Bye, Dean.

Daddy Long
01-11-2002, 12:22 PM
A season overdue. I will not miss the directionless passes, the backtracking off attackers running into our penalty area or the constant and unpleasant sight of his shorts halfway up his arse. But what I really won't miss the most is the brown nosing clapping at the end of the game, hanging around until every other Palace player (who's invariably been deserving of our praise) has left the pitch so he can milk a pathetic chorus of "Deano" no matter how undeserved. Truly cringeworthy.

All that said, despite being a non-entity of a footballer, he stayed with us during some difficult times and for that he deserves a little repect.

Hope he finds another club soon because its never nice to see anyone out of work.

Cleon
01-11-2002, 12:37 PM
Just a thought, but are Leeds still looking to replace Rio Ferdinand?!

arussell
01-11-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Men At Work
IWith Mullins (I think) he was currently our longest serving player in the first team

I believe that particular honour goes to Jamie Smith, and then Steve Thomson. Thomson has been with us the longest in terms of how much time he's been at the club (at least 6 years - but I know it is more than that).

Al From Bromley
01-11-2002, 12:47 PM
Can't believe some of the mouthy comments on here. He was captain under Coppell. You insult Deano you're insulting Coppell. He may have been on good money and he may not have been the best distributor of the ball but he has a big heart and never stops trying. Easy to take a knock and sit on the sidelines collecting your dough. Deano made the effort, particularly during the dark days. His enthusiasm and fight helped carry that team to some famous victories - and all some people can say is that he was sh*t. You ungrateful bunch of c**ts!

Justin
01-11-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by the_next_matt_jansen
Theres only ONE Deano!!

Thank God for that as well. Imagine how bad we would have been with two of him in the side....

Benzhiyi
01-11-2002, 12:55 PM
Al from Bromley, why do you consistently talk so much sense?

If I were inclined in the ways of Jimmy Somerville and Julian Clary, I would declare my undying love for you.

Instead, I can merely agree with what you say and kiss your cyberbottom.

:o ;)

Selhurst300
01-11-2002, 01:00 PM
Always tried to give 100%. Unfortunately, he had an almost unbelievable range of performances from "utter rubbish" when all clearances seemed to go into touch through to "brilliant" when he really put in some killer passes. If he had been able to maintain the "brilliant", I don't think he would be leaving.
Loved his clapping style.
His goal at Norwich when he was the most experienced player in the team by about 20 years (or so it seemed) when we were in Administration was one of the many good memories I have about Deano.
But I think it's right to let him go now.
But it would have been nice if it had been possible for him to have had come on as a sub for one last time.
By Deano, thanks for most of what you did, and best wishes to you.
PS Carlisle are desperate for some decent players.

Cleon
01-11-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Al from Bromley
Can't believe some of the mouthy comments on here. He was captain under Coppell. You insult Deano you're insulting Coppell.

Utter b*llocks. A better suggestion would be that he was purchased by Terry Vegtables, and to insult Deano is to insult The Thief. If so, I'm guilty of insulting that fat, bloated, lying, thieving ****head currently, and ineptly, managing some outfit up north.

He may have been on good money and he may not have been the best distributor of the ball but he has a big heart and never stops trying. Easy to take a knock and sit on the sidelines collecting your dough. Deano made the effort, particularly during the dark days. His enthusiasm and fight helped carry that team to some famous victories - and all some people can say is that he was sh*t. You ungrateful bunch of c**ts!

Indeed, he gave 100%. But he was still rubbish. If you offered me 5,000 per week to give 100% for Palace on the football pitch, I would. I'd do it for a lot less than that as well.

Austin gone, now hurry up and heal Harrison, so that we can release you as well.

Tim of the 80's
01-11-2002, 01:04 PM
Quite right Al. Despite his limitations (and he had some good games) Dean never hid. I can never understand people who spit bile when someone misplaces a pass. Yes if they don't try, just turn up and get paid, but that was never the case with Dean. Plus enough of our managers thought he was better than the alternatives we had at the time to keep playing him. Now we've got some options TF thinks are better, we need to save some money, so he's on his way. He stuck at it for us during some difficult times and he deserves a better send off than some want to give him.

Daddy Long
01-11-2002, 01:07 PM
Can't believe some of the mouthy comments on here. He was captain under Coppell. You insult Deano you're insulting Coppell. He may have been on good money and he may not have been the best distributor of the ball but he has a big heart and never stops trying. Easy to take a knock and sit on the sidelines collecting your dough. Deano made the effort, particularly during the dark days. His enthusiasm and fight helped carry that team to some famous victories - and all some people can say is that he was sh*t. You ungrateful bunch of c**ts!

This is hilarious. I didn't realise that we should be grateful to each and every player at Palace for turning out week after next. Forget that its their job and they get paid handsomely for doing it.

cabbie
01-11-2002, 01:51 PM
being a nice bloke and a good football player are two different things he has always been prone to mistakes,limited ability but he was a tryer.DEEEEEAAAAANNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Al From Bromley
01-11-2002, 02:07 PM
"I didn't realise that we should be grateful to each and every player at Palace for turning out week after next."

Well what DO you support Palace for? Yes, I am grateful for his endeavours down the years he was with us. The trouble with so many people is that they give a player a label and then only ever notice their mistakes. Deano was also guilty of making countless number of goal saving challenges and lots more beside. By saying he was totally useless you are saying that Coppell didnt know what he was doing by a) playing him and b) making him captain. I know who's judgment I have more faith in.

fieldy
01-11-2002, 02:09 PM

As Daddy points out this is indeed as hilarious a posting as you will ever find on these boards! Al, if you seriously believe this rubbish you are a complete berk:clown: Austin was a joke player who had very limited, if indeed any ability, quite how he managed to fool such a number of managers I'll never know, he must go down as one of the biggest footballing frauds in history who somehow managed to carve himself out a handsomly paid living in the game. The argument of "he always gave 100% or he was a trier is tiresome, he was complete pants, we could pick up any number of similar 100% ers in the lower and non leagues if that's what we want, indeed any supporter would give 100% every week and more to play for this club and wouldn't ask for a penny for doing so. I'm sorry Dean but I'm not at all sorry to see you go and wish you'd never graced our club in the first place, you provided me with some of the most cringeworthy moments I've ever had as a Palace fan, we can, and we have done better than you, see you sometime never!

Palace hero? Don't make me laugh, Palace Zero!!!

Gooders
01-11-2002, 02:27 PM
I'm with Al here. I will forgive any player that tries - it's not his fault if he's not quite as good as people may have thought he was.

The guy played on and kept working at it when faced with a barrage of mindless criticism and all credit to him for doing that.

I can remember games where he would make 3 or 4 or 5 key interceptions, often very brave ones - putting his head in when the boots were flying - and then the moment he misplaced a pass people would come on here slagging him off after the game and saying he'd played "the usual rubbish".

I'm not saying that he was ever anything more than average, at best, but it's the same old story at Palace - once the fans decide someone is no good (like Adebola now) then they can never do anything right.

Al From Bromley
01-11-2002, 02:30 PM
Don't giver up your daytime job fieldy. Youve just insulted Steve Coppell amongst others. Congratulations!

PS - you want cringeworthy? How about Mullins against Wimbledon or on numerous other occasions? Difference is that you probably rate him as a player don't you? No more questions your honour.

Cleon
01-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Don't giver up your daytime job fieldy. Youve just insulted Steve Coppell amongst others. Congratulations!

Rubbish. Steve Coppell had very little choice - he couldn't get any decent players in, and the only other player who was over the age of 12 couldn't speak a word of English.

Elephant with mouse gyp
01-11-2002, 02:38 PM
How about Mullins against Wimbledon or on numerous other occasions?

You slag Mullins, you, No.1 TF fan, slag Francis, not to mention Coppell as well.

Daddy Long
01-11-2002, 02:59 PM
"I didn't realise that we should be grateful to each and every player at Palace for turning out week after next."

Well what DO you support Palace for? Yes, I am grateful for his endeavours down the years he was with us. The trouble with so many people is that they give a player a label and then only ever notice their mistakes. Deano was also guilty of making countless number of goal saving challenges and lots more beside. By saying he was totally useless you are saying that Coppell didnt know what he was doing by a) playing him and b) making him captain. I know who's judgment I have more faith in.

Ultimately I go to football for entertainment. If I had gone to the theatre and the actors were all forgetting their lines and falling over each others feet, I would be upset, ask for my money back and condemn the actors as tripe. Its the same with Palace. Only the majority of our "actors" are pretty decent and I don't mind paying good money to watch them. Dean Austin on the other hand is to football what Benny Hill was to serious acting. ie. he's bloody useless.

Coppell didn't have much choice did he? It is not an insult to Coppell, more a glowing praise that he managed to get some half decent perfomances out of such a donkey.

fieldy
01-11-2002, 03:00 PM

PS - you want cringeworthy? How about Mullins against Wimbledon or on numerous other occasions? Difference is that you probably rate him as a player don't you? No more questions your honour.

Cringeworthy Al is defending the indefensible, guilty as charged!:o

Big Fella
01-11-2002, 03:03 PM
Deano was an ideal squad player who always gave 100%. That is good enough for me and I can't believe people are slating him. Fair enough, he wasn't the most gifted of players, but when he came in, especially in the admin years, he could be relied upon to do a job. I personally would have kept him until the end of the season, as I fear our lack of cover at the back will be exposed.

Good Luck Deano.

Bluewater eagle
01-11-2002, 03:08 PM
according to teletext simon jordan is having talks with dean austin with a view to terminating his contract, how many more to come ?

Gooders
01-11-2002, 03:09 PM
No. Really?

Beanie
01-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Big Fella
....I fear our lack of cover at the back will be exposed.

Popovic and Powell in place, Antwi on the bench, Mullins in a pinch, Symons having played a full reserve games. Austin would only be 6th. I respect what he has done - but now is the time to say thanks, good bye and good luck.

Bluewater eagle
01-11-2002, 03:22 PM
oh sorry obviously you know more than me :rolleyes:
wont bother in future :hmph:

Al From Bromley
01-11-2002, 03:23 PM
I wasnt slagging Mullins, merely pointing out that all players are guilty of errors from time to time. The abuse of Deano is what's indefensible as it is of any player who wears the Palace shirt.

pallet
01-11-2002, 03:30 PM
I have to agree with Al . When Deano came in, he was terrible. However for all of you with short memeories he stuck with us during adminstrtation and was nothing short of a hero. Norwich away?? He wasnt the best defender in the world and he would admit that, but he has more heart and determination than Ruddock and all the other over paid ponces we had down at Selhurst.
Good luck Deano, you will always be welcomed back.:p

BUNGLE
01-11-2002, 03:43 PM
:D

Al From Bromley
01-11-2002, 03:53 PM
Feck me, Lee (pallet) agrees with me for once!

Sriously, its a blinkered mentality that is rife throughout the world of football fans. A player gains a reputation and from then on has their every move scrutinised by the supporters in eager anticipation of their next mistake. They conveniently forget the good tackles, clearing headers, goals, crosses, free kicks etc. that Deano provided during his spell with Palace. Yes, he had his moments, no one can deny, but then so do most other players. You want perfection, go and watch Man U, but then there's Bartez and that argentinian geezer who cost a squillion but cant hit a cows arse with a banjo, two name just two.

N Herts Eagle
01-11-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by fieldy
As Daddy points out this is indeed as hilarious a posting as you will ever find on these boards! Al, if you seriously believe this rubbish you are a complete berk:clown: Austin was a joke player who had very limited, if indeed any ability, quite how he managed to fool such a number of managers I'll never know, he must go down as one of the biggest footballing frauds in history who somehow managed to carve himself out a handsomly paid living in the game. The argument of "he always gave 100% or he was a trier is tiresome, he was complete pants, we could pick up any number of similar 100% ers in the lower and non leagues if that's what we want, indeed any supporter would give 100% every week and more to play for this club and wouldn't ask for a penny for doing so. I'm sorry Dean but I'm not at all sorry to see you go and wish you'd never graced our club in the first place, you provided me with some of the most cringeworthy moments I've ever had as a Palace fan, we can, and we have done better than you, see you sometime never!

Palace hero? Don't make me laugh, Palace Zero!!!

Good to see that now we are winning we stop slagging of TF and start on the players leaving instead. The post above sums up what I saw at Cheltenham some spotty youth screaming abuse at Dele when the guy played his best game ever for us that night. Deano was never the most talented guy we had his distribution did lack the ability to find one of our players often but watch and see how many times he was the guy who put in the last ditch tackle yes sometimes players did go past him but he was there to go past unlike other centre halfs I could mention. Look at people like Millar and compare what Deano did for us and realise he could have walked out stayed despite being abused and turned round many of the fans. A team is not a about ten Freedmans or Routledges but about putting players with differing abilities and strengths and making them play. Within a team you need someone giving guidance if you watched closely in the Administration year he did this with a number of young players around him. There was a scene in the Tranmere game where he and Ruddock took Kabba aside before he took the penalty you could see both of them talk to him calm him down before he took the penalty. There are many other cases so show the guy some respect.!!!

Good Luck Deano I for one will stand proudly clap you sing the Deano chant if you come back to Selhurst as will many others

Al From Bromley
01-11-2002, 03:57 PM
Sadly, lack of respect is rife in our society, this thread demonstrates that all too clearly.

pallet
01-11-2002, 04:17 PM
Sorry did I miss something, Deano has got some abitily too. I cant beleive the slagging he is getting on here.:grrr:

Al From Bromley
01-11-2002, 04:19 PM
....and I've never seen so many bandwagons parked outside selhurst park. Jordan, Deano, Ade, Dele, TF, Aki all spring immediately to mind. Moaning minnies and sheep I tell you. Baaaaaaaa for now! :)

fieldy
01-11-2002, 04:26 PM
Well I am no spotty youth, but I certainly am someone who recognises what it takes to be decent professional footballer, clearly there are one or two on here who do not. Neither have I got on Austin's back rather than TF's recently, I have been vocal in supporting the removal of this donkey from our club since the day he joined! :moo:

Al From Bromley
01-11-2002, 04:30 PM
As I said, don't give up your day job :)

Daddy Long
01-11-2002, 04:39 PM
Al's got his own bandwagon parked outside Selhurst. Its painted in lairy psychadelic colours and its all about peace and defending every cause in sight just to be a bit different, regardless of whether the cause deserves defending or not. He is more blinkered than any of the Austin abusers on this thread. He cannot see that we have just offloaded a liability of a player, who's mistakes far outnumbered his successes (even a man with a squiffy arsehole will **** straight once in a while) But Al feels the need to jump to the defense of anything palace. Rather we should show some respect to Deano according to Al. For what? Respect to Deano for getting away with earning ridiculous money for years at Palace despite having not one iota of talent. Respect to Deano for pulling the wool over the eyes of successive managers with his 100% performances. Respect to Deano for brown nosing his way into the affections of many gullible Palace fans? Fair enough I say, respect to Deano for being one of the biggest footballing conmen I've ever seen!

Bartman
01-11-2002, 04:41 PM
One of the nicest guys I have ever met in the game, and someone who who always gave 110%. Ability sometimes let him down, but I think the vast majority of us got right behind him when he played. At least he always clapped us at the end of games.

Good luck Deano, and thanks for your loyalty and service to the club.

Al From Bromley
01-11-2002, 04:46 PM
That's your opinion Daddy Long, and you are entitled to it. I just think its a bit of a bitter and blown out of proportion. if you honestly think that players can con managers into putting them into the side, making them captain or even bringing them on as a sub then there is not much that i, or anyone else can say to make you see how stupid that belief is.

Skin Up
01-11-2002, 04:46 PM
I heard once (can't remember from who) that the younger players really liked him.

Despite being a below average player I have a feeling he'll be a good coach one day.

AJ
01-11-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by pallet
I have to agree with Al . When Deano came in, he was terrible. However for all of you with short memeories he stuck with us during adminstrtation and was nothing short of a hero. Norwich away?? He wasnt the best defender in the world and he would admit that, but he has more heart and determination than Ruddock and all the other over paid ponces we had down at Selhurst.
Good luck Deano, you will always be welcomed back.:p

Sorry, I have to disagree with one line. I think Austin did think he was a good defender. I remember the begining of last season. He felt he should be in the first team and that he couldn't afford to sit on the bench.

Still no need for all this abuse though.

anti-addick
01-11-2002, 04:56 PM
If, by miracle, some mug manager considers him good enough for the first division and he plays against us then I for one will be the first to be singing "Palace reject", and will be delighted of the fact that he will undoubtably make a huge howler at some point in the game for the Doug to score.

Sir.S.C Remembered
01-11-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
If true, then I would like to wish him well.

A whole-hearted but limited player who always tried.

Good luck Deano.

I agree. A Legend despite the fact I recogniose he is talentless and am glad to see him go I will not forget what he done in the past when we needed him. Heart on sleeve

Sussex Eagle
01-11-2002, 08:00 PM
Just saw about Austin getting released, and wanted to wish him well. Whatever you think about his ability he's always struck me as a really decent bloke with a lot of time for the fans, and he's provided a couple of great memories in his time here - it's a real shame that a loyal player like that has be got rid of. One of my favourite Palace players even though he was pretty useless sometimes!

Baz To The D
01-11-2002, 09:11 PM
Quite frankly glad to see him go. He was hardly on peanuts and all the while he was here he was slowing the progress of others such as Will Antwi ( Who will now hopefully get an extended run in the first team squad following his appearance on Tuesday ). Dean was in all honestly one of the worst players I have seen at Palace in the twelve years I have been going ( And that really is saying something! ), his distribution was utterly abysmal. He also used to really annoy me when he made a mistake and then proceeded to blame everyone else around him. As for the clapping at the end of the games, I'm sure he only did that to prevent him getting more stick from the Palace fans!

Sir.S.C Remembered
01-11-2002, 11:48 PM
Agreed. Despite his lack of talent and the fact I'm glad to see him go he was a great pro and a legend for his heart on sleave vital efforts in the admin years and always seemed a great pro with a high fitness level (whereas another legend I was glad to see leave Hopkin didn;t have this approach)

Men At Work
02-11-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Rather we should show some respect to Deano according to Al. For what? Respect to Deano for getting away with earning ridiculous money for years at Palace despite having not one iota of talent.

Austin was selected to play games for Palace by the following managers : Venables, Coppell, Smith, Bruce, Kember and Francis. That's six people who have varying degrees of respect and success within the game. I'd suggest that means he has a bit more talent than he's given credit for.

There are a couple of very good books by Garry Nelson (despite his clubs) and he states in the first one that he was never the best player in the world and not making to the top division was a disappointment in his career. However, he does point out that despite the lack of skill he was often accused of he was a far better player than any of the moaning minnies in the stands would ever be - despite their abuse to the contrary. I think Deano's in the same boat.

Men At Work
02-11-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
Agreed. Despite his lack of talent and the fact I'm glad to see him go he was a great pro and a legend

Has there ever been anyone at Palace who you haven't classed as a "legend"?

Al From Bromley
02-11-2002, 11:10 AM
Its better being a legend than a knobend :)

PT109
02-11-2002, 02:24 PM
Dear Men At Work -
Ask swissboy what he thinks about Kevin Miller.
He is so predictable you will hardly be surprised.

Noodles 42
02-11-2002, 04:17 PM
Its better being a legend than a knobend :)

Personally Al, I'd rather be without the end of my leg than the end of my knob.

Good point, though!:p

cabbie
02-11-2002, 06:50 PM
The truth is there for all to see,went on the transfer list and got no offers.Now being let go on a free.I bet jordan wishes some of you were the managers of other clubs.

MENTALLY TOUGH
02-11-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by anti-addick
If, by miracle, some mug manager considers him good enough for the first division and he plays against us then I for one will be the first to be singing "Palace reject", and will be delighted of the fact that he will undoubtably make a huge howler at some point in the game for the Doug to score.

Dont be surprised if he ends up at Brighton then.Perhaps he will develop a limp clap for their fans?
Just imagine him with other other clowns from last week, perhaps we can aim for 10???

cpfcben
02-11-2002, 09:20 PM
i can't believe the criticism deano is getting, i think its disgraceful!!
admitidley he was not our best player but he always gave 110% which is certainly a lot more than some of our current crop of players do!!!

delboy01
02-11-2002, 10:08 PM
I'm somewhat staggered by the slagging off that some people are giving Deano. I agree that he could in no way be considered even an average player. But he did contribute vastly to the Palace cause and not just on the pitch.

I notice that no one has mentioned the reason why Deano always gets a warm reception from the travelling Palace hords?

I recall that when Palace were in the Financial dog doos Deano was not playing, he was not even on the bench. Even though we were down to 11 fit men and Kember was on the bench (Or was that his son!!!!). It transpired that Deanos contract gave him a grand appearance money per game.

Every week in the paper we see some money grabbing git holding out for his full pay despite the fact that the clubs they play for are on the brink of going bankrupt. What do Deano do? He agreed to play without the appearance money. Not delay payment, just crossed it out of his contract.

How many of you would do that if the boss came up to you requesting the same? Gary mate, you will have to take a 25% paycut or we go out of business? I think the reply would be rather blue.

He was also one of the players that kept this club out of Division 2 not once but twice. And also one of the players that kept the club in exsistance.

I for one will always have the greatest respect for those players. Even though it was not the greatest Palace team I have ever seen.

Thanks for being there when we needed you Deano and good luck.

People have very short memories.

glaziers fan
03-11-2002, 01:12 AM
I have a bit of respect for him for helping us during administration when we needed him, but to say we're offending Coppell by slagging him off is ludicrous! Coppell only played him and made him captain because he was experienced and good with the younger players! (Apparently he used to say do as I say, not as I do!)

But he was useless and depite the external signs of trying 100%, his attitude was appalling. He thought he was a great player and that's why he always wanted to milk the applause at the end! He thought he was deserving of a place in the first-team, but he did not have the will to win. He used to say that we were not talented enough when we lost to good teams! Speak for yourself Deano. Many of the people in that team will be playing in the Premiership and rightfully so, it was just you who wasn't good enough.

If you remember he ws talking to Sheff Utd about joining them, even when we offered a contract to him, and he only came back to us because Sheff U were not even prepared to offfer him the salary that we were. (And even then he thought he was getting a raw deal from us!)

Deano going can only be a positive thing. He is old and experienced at being bad. At a time when we don't have kids in the team, and when we are trying to win promotion rather than escape relegation, it is definitely the right time to wave goodbye to Deano. Let's see if you are really as good as you think you are and can get into a first division side. (And Brighton don't count!)

With Venables struggling at Leeds, do you think he might swoop for Deano to sure up his defence?! Now that would be funny! After all, this is the same guy who totally and utterly completely believed Svensson was a quality international striker, and better than Morrison, Bent, Jansen, Dyer, Shipperley etc etc!

Men At Work
03-11-2002, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
He thought he was a great player and that's why he always wanted to milk the applause at the end! He thought he was deserving of a place in the first-team, but he did not have the will to win.

Do you have any sources for these statements other than your own prejudices?

If you remember he ws talking to Sheff Utd about joining them, even when we offered a contract to him, and he only came back to us because Sheff U were not even prepared to offfer him the salary that we were. (And even then he thought he was getting a raw deal from us!)

I seem to recall that the Blades made him an offer but he wanted to stay with Palace, perhaps because he liked it at the club (despite the reception he got from a lot of 'fans') or because it was closer to his son. I've looked at his on-line diary but it doesn't go back that far - it's called trying to get proof...

Al From Bromley
03-11-2002, 10:07 AM
Never ceases to amaze me what people will say to try and justify their own prejudices. And sometimes you get some classic statements....

"Coppell only played him and made him captain because he was experienced and good with the younger players! (Apparently he used to say do as I say, not as I do!) ....But he was useless"

wedgetail
03-11-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Men At Work
Do you have any sources for these statements other than your own prejudices?

I can't remember the exact quote, but when he was first dropped, by Venables, he made comments along the lines of - I am a premiership premier and I don't expect to get dropped playing for a first division club.

wedgetail
13-11-2002, 10:47 AM
Austin blasts Palace slackers
By Leo Spall and Matt Hughes, Evening Standard
13 November 2002
Former Crystal Palace captain Dean Austin today labelled his old team-mates as underachievers.

He left last week by mutual consent after failing to seal a first-team place under manager Trevor Francis.

Palace are mid-table, despite an 11-match unbeaten run, but Austin still believes they are capable of a lot more and said: "At the start of the season they had to be looking at the top six. That would have been a guarantee.

"With their quality and ability, they should have been in the promotion race if they played to anything like their potential. I still believe it. They have underachieved."

The defender, now a free agent for the first time in a 12-year pro career, added: "I wasn't happy at not playing and the club wanted to cut costs, so it was a good deal for both parties."

Austin also hinted at some unrest at the club. Reserve team coach Dave Swindlehurst was sacked last month, despite an impressive run of results and Academy director Derek Broadley resigned after a dispute over financial restrictions.

He said: "I've no axe to grind. I can't comment on how other players feel. I can only speak for myself."

Beanie
13-11-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by wedgetail

Austin also hinted at some unrest at the club. ......

He said: "I've no axe to grind. I can't comment on how other players feel. I can only speak for myself."

Is that supposed to be a "hint at unrest"? Typical journo overstatement. sounds like a totally neytral commnet to me, still, anything for a story!!

sydnsteve
13-11-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by delboy01

I recall that when Palace were in the Financial dog doos Deano was not playing, he was not even on the bench. Even though we were down to 11 fit men and Kember was on the bench (Or was that his son!!!!). It transpired that Deanos contract gave him a grand appearance money per game.

Every week in the paper we see some money grabbing git holding out for his full pay despite the fact that the clubs they play for are on the brink of going bankrupt. What do Deano do? He agreed to play without the appearance money. Not delay payment, just crossed it out of his contract.

How many of you would do that if the boss came up to you requesting the same? Gary mate, you will have to take a 25% paycut or we go out of business? I think the reply would be rather blue.

The thing is, he wouldn't have got a game if he hadn't done that, so it doen't necessarily say anything about him, he might simply have wanted to play in the first team and that was the only way it would happen. I'm not saying that was the case, I have no way of knowing, but it must certainly be a possibility.

bald-eagle
13-11-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by wedgetail
Austin blasts Palace slackers ........

Hardly a "blast" was it!

Typical evening standard trying to sell papers with non existent stories with overdramatic headlines, happens every day.