PDA

View Full Version : Players Out Of Contract

kit82
31-10-2002, 04:36 PM
Being in the financial situation that we currently are we are likely to lose some players in the summer who are out of contract. It is also unlikely that we will bring in many players, if any at all.

Therefore do we know whose contracts end summer 2003?

I have read that the following will be out of contract and they are all players I would rather have on the books at Palace then see leave:

Kolinko
Rubins
Gray
Kabba.

Will our team/squad not be much weaker if were to lose such players?

Any Thoughts?

firesign
31-10-2002, 04:40 PM
I doubt if we can afford to buy any more players, but neither can anyone else, so I wouldn't get too worried about it. I predict as little transfer activity next year as there was this summer.

Beanie
31-10-2002, 05:00 PM
There has been lengthy discussion about Gray elsewhere. I would guess that Kabba is playing for his contract at Grimsby, With the rise of Gareth Williams his place must be in doubt. With Kolinko it may well depend on how he really feels about the Bradford incident. Rubins is probably also playing for a contract. You've missed Adebola - he'll probably go, certainly if Akinbiyi comes back well.

Gooders
31-10-2002, 05:51 PM
I would think it likely that any players out-of-contract soon will either not be offered a new one, or at least on substantially reduced terms.

It's the only thing most clubs can do but there's always a chance that teams that have just been promoted will try to cherry-pick a few bargains.

The only thing that matters is that Crystal Palace continues. Whoever gets picked will receive my 100% support so long as they put in the effort.

If some of our players (no names) have a greater opinion of their worth than the majority of us then good luck to them if they can persuade another club to take a chance on them fulfilling their potential.

And on a very positive note, it seems that there are a reasonable number of youngsters at the club beginning to look very promising indeed; and the reserves are flying at the moment.

:p

sydnsteve
01-11-2002, 09:54 AM
I think it would be a big mistake to let Kabba go, but I expect it will happen as Palace refused to extend his contract previously. What I now expect to happen is that he will continue to play well and score for Grimsby and go for a free at the end of the season.
If you cut, cut, cut, you end up cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Dave
01-11-2002, 09:58 AM
I would imagine that Kabbs will be or is already up for sale

Gooders
01-11-2002, 10:01 AM
Everyone is "up for sale"...at the right price.

Daddy Long
01-11-2002, 10:02 AM
Black will also be up for a new contract at the end of the season. Mullins too?

arussell
01-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Kabba was put on the transfer list ages ago, and officially - I don't believe he ever came off it. It's highly unlikely that he'll end up permanently at Grimsby though.

mikestock
06-11-2002, 12:52 PM
kabba won't go on a free he is under 24 so we will get some compensation for him.

all of the players mentioned expect gray are squad players, so a few will probably go. I hope Kolinko stays and personally i would like to see black stay.

I don't think adebola will be offered a new deal and i think rubins will probably move on.

gray and kolinko are the only players who if we lost would seriuosly weaken the squad

Goldberg Basher
06-11-2002, 01:15 PM
Apparently there's 12 players whose contracts run out this season.

Dave
13-11-2002, 12:42 PM
From The Croydon Guardian

Contract time bomb: Palace stars facing summer deadline

Contract time bomb: Palace stars facing summer deadline

As Crystal Palace continue climbing the Division One table, a number of first team player contracts head towards their expiry date, prompting fears some stars may be sold in January.

Hayden Mullins, 23, Julian Gray, 23, Tommy Black, 22, and Steve Kabba, 21, are all in the last year of current deals which expire at the end of June 2003, and have yet to be offered new ones by club chairman Simon Jordan.

Jordan has previously said he would like to sign Mullins and Gray on long-term deals, but financial difficulties following the collapse of ITV Digital have prompted a series of cut-backs at the club.

Earlier this month former captain Dean Austin and Andrew Frampton had their contracts settled by the club, following the departures of coaches Derek Broadley and Dave Swindlehurst in October.

Jordan has also committed to cutting 97,000 off the current average Palace player salary of 297,000 per year, and deferred bonus payments until the end of the season, so he is unlikely to be offering improved contractual terms.

Dougie Freedman was the only senior player to have his contract extended in the summer, netting a four year extension. Senior players Austin and Simon Rodger did not have theirs' renewed, while six youth academy players were signed up on professional deals.

Now a clutch of Palace's young talent are nearing the end of their deals, and could hold out for a lucrative free-transfer in the summer, if Jordan does not open negotiations.

The chairman may be tempted to capitalise on Premiership interest in Mullins and Gray when the transfer window reopens in January, even though their value would be depleted because they have less than six months on their current deals.

Birmingham opened negotiations over Mullins in the summer but could not conclude a deal, and may follow up that interest with a firm but reduced bid in January to tempt the Eagles chairman.

With the exception of Ade Akinbiyi's arrival, Palace's transfer policy under Trevor Francis has been to bring in low earners and sell or release higher earners like Clinton Morrison, Austin, Kirovski, Hopkin and Rodger.

In January, Mullins and Gray could become the latest departures if Jordan receives acceptable bids.

Steve Kabba, last week recalled from his successful loan spell at Grimsby, where he scored six goals in 14 games, is likely to be offered a new deal, while Tommy Black may be allowed to leave, if he does not accept reduced terms

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/sport/headlines/display.var.649230.Headlines.0.html

Cleon
13-11-2002, 12:53 PM
I thought Mullins was signed the same four year contract as Morrison a couple of years ago, which left both contracts due to expire in summer 2004? Anybody have any idea what the truth is?

Snafu
13-11-2002, 12:56 PM
Rubins Has left by mutual consent!!!! Check out the official website :sob:

Beanie
13-11-2002, 01:04 PM
The Croydon Guardian piece is total speculation. they may be right about the contracts expiring, but the rest is total guess work.

I really hate this sort of article because it gives tries to give the impression that the writer knows something new, when in fact they have simply re-hashed old news and personally opinions. Now, personal opinion is fine, its the dressing up as "news" which gets right up my nose.

kolinkins
13-11-2002, 01:07 PM
mullins has until 2004 - i am 95% sure.

as for the others, i would only bother with gray.

and rubins - well, if he isnt good enough for us, then nor is kabba, or black.

Benzhiyi
13-11-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
The Croydon Guardian piece is total speculation. they may be right about the contracts expiring, but the rest is total guess work.

Also, and I feel this needs capitals, NONE OF THE PLAYERS LISTED CAN LEAVE ON A FREE BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL UNDER 24 YEARS OF AGE!!!!

They can be released, but if another club comes in it is settled by tribunal.

What a crap piece of journalism....

sydnsteve
13-11-2002, 03:09 PM
Benzhiyi, is it right that none of the players listed can leave on a free because they are all under 24 years of age?

Daddy Long
13-11-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
mullins has until 2004 - i am 95% sure.

You are wrong. Believe me when I say his contract expires at the end of this season. We would definitely get some compensation for him should he move on but I doubt it would be as much as a transfer fee. And he doesn't want to leave Palace. There are reasons for this.....sexyrazor can confirm.

Cleon
13-11-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
Benzhiyi, is it right that none of the players listed can leave on a free because they are all under 24 years of age?

They can leave, but the club is entitled to pursue the club taking on the player through a tribunal. This is a rule designed to protect a club from investing a lot of training/work in a youngster, bringing them on, and then the player being poached. The classic example would be Jermaine Defoe, who was poached by West Ham from Charlton, and for whom West Ham were order to pay compensation based on appearances of something in the region of 1.5m.

Palaceman2002
26-11-2002, 12:58 PM
Which pros contracts are up this summer? Which ones do you think will be released?

Clapham Grand
26-11-2002, 01:50 PM
Have you read this thread?

wedgetail
26-11-2002, 02:48 PM
I have read this and other threads but I still don't know the contact end dates of our squad.

Snorwood Eagle
29-11-2002, 11:21 AM
Just flicking through the Daily Express today, and there is a small piece on the 'Palace clear-out'.

They mention Black and Gray, but also a player that hasn't previously been mentioned on this thread, Steve Thomson. Francis is quoted along the lines of not having offered any of the three of them a contract, and unsure as to whether they will even be offered one.

I personally think that losing Gray, even on his poor form of late, will be a massive blow to us. Maybe we should give Thomson another year, but Black, I'd get rid of him as soon as.

sydnsteve
02-12-2002, 11:13 AM
I see TF is quoted on Planetfootball as saying that all 3 are out of contract and none may be offered a new one. If true, I think I will just give up and go home, we are aobviously content with lower mid div 1 status.

c/trees brb 2
05-12-2002, 11:08 PM
i think tommy black should sign a new contract?
he sholud be given a 1st team place week in
week out as well???

another player might be on the go when his fit
is jamie smith he is on premiership wages???

they should not sell mullins or gray????
bruce will snap them both up when the transfer
window opens.and maybe matt clarke as well??

What?
05-12-2002, 11:11 PM
If Gray doesnt buck up we should friggin sell him!

c/trees brb 2
05-12-2002, 11:17 PM
remember he has been out a long time with injury
last couple of game he has been pants,apart from that he has been good his crossing has improved from season???

so who do you think will leave palace in january???????

What?
05-12-2002, 11:57 PM
If Gray actually tried he might be good.