PDA

View Full Version : Kabba campaign

It wasn't me!
01-11-2002, 02:41 PM
KEEP KABBA

11:08 - 31 October 2002

Grimsby Town loan striker Steve Kabba is the man of the moment after scoring twice in the Mariners' spellbinding 6-5 win over Burnley.

He has hit six goals in 12 games for Paul Groves' men and has become an instant hit with the Town faithful.

But he might not be at Blundell Park for much longer.

His three-month loan spell ends on November 23 and Crystal Palace have already given Town the thumbs-up to keep the 21-year-old wonderkid until next summer. Now it's up to him.

Today we want you to team up with us in our 'Keep Kabba' campaign and persuade him that Blundell Park is the place to be.

Chairman Peter Furneaux has revealed that the club would love to buy the player, and he has three matches left to decide whether to stay with the Mariners.

The clock is ticking but we won't let him leave without a fight.

We know he can score the goals to help take Town clear of the drop zone - but now it's your turn.

We want you to bombard us with your messages for the Mariners' newest hero.

Whether it's a reason you think he should stay, or just the impact you think he's made to the mighty Mariners, get in touch and we'll hand over every single message to the man himself.

Chairman Peter Furneaux believes fan-power can help keep Kabba in Town, and we're right behind him.

When Town take on Gillingham on Saturday we want every single supporter to make themselves heard and bring the house down in a bid to hang on to our 'Stevie Wonder'.

"The papers have been signed by both parties and it's just waiting on the player," said Furneaux.

"The fans can make a tremendous difference and we want them to turn up the volume on Saturday and let him know how we feel.

"We're right behind this campaign and we've got three weeks to try and persuade him to sign on the dotted line.

"If we could get the money together we'd like to buy him because he's made a tremendous impact here."

To join the Keep Kabba campaign, text your messages to.

Vodaphone or O2 users: 800 86. Calls cost 30p (proceeds to the Future of Youth).

T-Mobile and Orange users: 07780 953576. Normal text rates apply.

Please leave your name and town.

Or e-mail us at sport@grimsbytelegraph.co.uk or fax us on 01472 372257.

Lords Eagle
01-11-2002, 02:45 PM
Let him get a little more experience up there and then bring him back, never really seen him play that much, but if what they say is true he must have come on leaps and bounds. Don't sell him!

The Omen
01-11-2002, 02:49 PM
Well done Steve! You are doing great - time to come home and do it for your real club now! :)

How about sending Rubins to Grimsby next to see if they can make a star of him as well?

It wasn't me!
01-11-2002, 02:53 PM
In tomorrows paper they are printing a poster of him for all fans to take to the game, in order to try and make him stay.

Granada allover
01-11-2002, 02:54 PM
Good memory - sending Salako out on loan to Swansea. They wanted to keep him but we took him back and the rest is history.

Bad memory - selling Collymore to Southend after one goal (er, one goal, ring any bells?).

ozeagle
01-11-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by The Omen
Well done Steve! You are doing great - time to come home and do it for your real club now! :)

How about sending Rubins to Grimsby next to see if they can make a star of him as well?

let's give them Mullins, Black, Rubins, Akinbiyi and Rihilahti as well....

if we lose Kabba, it's definitely TF OUT !

class striker.

:p

Gazza2
01-11-2002, 03:00 PM
I hope that we are not going to let him play against us on November 23rd!!!!!

pallet
01-11-2002, 03:03 PM
Lets get Kabba back and send them Dele. Maybe they could improve him, then again.

ozeagle
01-11-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Gazza2
I hope that we are not going to let him play against us on November 23rd!!!!!

TF had the forethought to write him out of that game, thank Christ..

Beanie
01-11-2002, 03:11 PM
Whilst I would not like to see Kabba sold, or simply to slip away when his contract ends, recalling him makes little sense. He is a player in the Dougie / AJ mould (both of whom have scored MORE goals than Kabba so far) and not in the Adebola/Akinbiyi mould. If we bring Kabba back it will bench time again. He is getting valuable experience at Grimsby. If he signs a new deal we'll get the benefit of that, if he doesn't we haven't lost anything by letting him stay.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
01-11-2002, 03:23 PM
I think it is bloody rude to expect a player to sign for you just because he has been on loan.

Just like when we insulted Arsenal by offering some meagre amount for Ashley Cole after they had loaned him to us to help us through a difficult time.

Kabba is a Palace player. He is on LOAN not trial.

Cleon
01-11-2002, 03:25 PM
The only thing that concerns me is that Kabba is out of contract in the summer, as far as I am aware. Now, he is under 24, so we'd get some compensation, but not much, if he stayed there for the rest of the season, and the signed for Grimsby.

I'd rather see a strikeforce of Dougie, Kabba, Johnson & Akinbiyi, than one including Adebola at the expense of Kabba. I suspect Kabba would also rather be playing for Crystal Palace than for Grimsby.

Unless a deal can be done that secures his return at the end of the season, or gives us first option a new contract in the summer, then I would recall him and have him relegate Adebola or Black from the bench.

pallet
01-11-2002, 03:36 PM
I maybe going against the grain here but, why do we need Dele?
We proved that you dont need a big lump up front to score goals in this division. So why not bring Kabba back give him a run with Dougie and AJ and either ship Dele off, or leave him on the bench?
I would rather have a player who can score goals than a big lump who cant header, has a poor first touch but once he starts running with the ball you cant stop him.

BUNGLE
01-11-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle

if we lose Kabba, it's definitely TF OUT !

class striker.

:p

Don't be so stupid, a class striker who has so far done feck all in a palace shirt. Yet you want to ship out Akinbiyi who has scored goals for fun at most of his previous clubs. Get a grip.

Let him stay there for the season, and if we achieve anything, we won't need him.

01-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by pallet
Lets get Kabba back and send them Dele. Maybe they could improve him, then again.
:D :D :D

Dear Mr Groves,

I am sorry to have to inform you that we are recalling the 'Kabba' model you have had on trial. This due to development problems.

As you are aware the 'Kabba' was only supposed to score goals in matches that you lost. It was not designed nor intended to help you win games and get your a*se out of the relegation sling.

We are able to offer the 'Adebola' as a replacement but this is currently supplied without any talent functions whatsoever and should therefore be more conducive to assisting with your slide into the 2nd Division.

The heading, trapping, ball control, passing and scoring functions have all been disabled on this model. However should you be able to get any or all of these functions working we'll be happy to take it back.

YS
TF

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/fart.gif

arussell
01-11-2002, 03:45 PM
If we lose Kabba, it's definitely TF OUT !

class striker.

Today's candidate for bizarre posting of the day goes to .....

Sandowneagle
01-11-2002, 03:57 PM
I know loads of you wont believe this but I know this is true but I wont reveal my source.

Palace offered Kabba to Grimsby for 80k cash + sell on clause. They didn't have the money at the moment but Palace are happy to keep him in the shop window and if Grimsby come up with the cash he'll go.

arussell
01-11-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Sandowneagle
I know loads of you wont believe this

Actually, I believe it totally :)

As I've said elsewhere - I think you'll find that he is still available for transfer.

It wasn't me!
01-11-2002, 04:07 PM
If even Grimsby came up with 80k - Kabba wouldn't stay. At the end of the day it's his choice not the clubs.

Isn't it funny how palace wanted 120k from Luton but would settle for 80k now.:rolleyes:

ozeagle
01-11-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
Don't be so stupid, a class striker who has so far done feck all in a palace shirt. Yet you want to ship out Akinbiyi who has scored goals for fun at most of his previous clubs. Get a grip.

Let him stay there for the season, and if we achieve anything, we won't need him.

when did i ever say out with akinbiyi, all i mentioned his name for was the fact that he bore the brunt of much unwarranted tirade last season...
i actually believe he may be the answer..his rdiv 1 ecord speaks for itself.
let's remember kabba is playing for Grimsby - and scoring, hardly has the likes of our class players (bar aki) around him..

my grip is strong...perhaps you should get some of it...

ozeagle
01-11-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by arussell
Today's candidate for bizarre posting of the day goes to .....

if Kabba gets 20, as he is on track for, we have loaned him out for the season, 20 fewer for us ?
surely a bad management move ? bring a kid up, hits form, flog him off ?????

Al From Bromley
01-11-2002, 04:28 PM
This is a typical example of the black & white thing Les mumbled about in a post somewhere but which kind of backfired because I am not the one that believes in things being wither black or white. Just because Kabba is having a good spell at Grimsby doesnt make him the next Ian Wright. I, and I know for certain, Alan Russell, have seen him have some dreadful performances. Just remmeber, a few weeks ago, AJ was sh*t in many people's eyes, now look. It's swings and roundabouts. What all these players need is supporting not a black or white "he's sh*t" or "he's good" pigeonhole. Kabba is out on loan to gain experience. Learn to live with it. if he goes to grimsby so what? We've got plenty of able strikers, if only you'd give them all the chance.

arussell
01-11-2002, 04:54 PM
Have you seen Kabba play Oz ?

Believe me - we have a better striker already in the reserves who is gunning for his chance and is a more all round player. That plus the fact we have four first team strikers (who are not going to be moved aside whatever you might think) means that something has to give.

Personally I'd leave him where he is till Christmas and then bring him back and give him a few months back with us to see if he can then do it here, and earn himself a new contract here.

However - Palace (like all clubs now) are in the situation of having to generate some money, so he could well be sold, and I'd hazard a guess and say that's quite likely. You get to a stage where some players somewhere have to give way.

Don't forget that both Southend and Joe Kinnear at Luton, passed on signing him too.

It wasn't me!
01-11-2002, 05:19 PM

Don't forget that both Southend and Joe Kinnear at Luton, passed on signing him too.

This was only because palace were asking for a ridiculous amount for him!

It wasn't me!
01-11-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Sandowneagle
I know loads of you wont believe this but I know this is true but I wont reveal my source.

Palace offered Kabba to Grimsby for 80k cash + sell on clause. They didn't have the money at the moment but Palace are happy to keep him in the shop window and if Grimsby come up with the cash he'll go.

I'm not doubting your source's but this is not the correct price palace are asking.

A few clubs are interested in Kabba and SJ has put a price tag which is basically nearly 3 times 80k on his head!

He's in demand - you can believe it or not!!

local lad
01-11-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!
KEEP KABBA

11:08 - 31 October 2002

Grimsby Town loan striker Steve Kabba is the man of the moment after scoring twice in the Mariners' spellbinding 6-5 win over Burnley.

He has hit six goals in 12 games for Paul Groves' men and has become an instant hit with the Town faithful.

But he might not be at Blundell Park for much longer.

His three-month loan spell ends on November 23 and Crystal Palace have already given Town the thumbs-up to keep the 21-year-old wonderkid until next summer. Now it's up to him.

Today we want you to team up with us in our 'Keep Kabba' campaign and persuade him that Blundell Park is the place to be.

Chairman Peter Furneaux has revealed that the club would love to buy the player, and he has three matches left to decide whether to stay with the Mariners.

The clock is ticking but we won't let him leave without a fight.

We know he can score the goals to help take Town clear of the drop zone - but now it's your turn.

We want you to bombard us with your messages for the Mariners' newest hero.

Whether it's a reason you think he should stay, or just the impact you think he's made to the mighty Mariners, get in touch and we'll hand over every single message to the man himself.

Chairman Peter Furneaux believes fan-power can help keep Kabba in Town, and we're right behind him.

When Town take on Gillingham on Saturday we want every single supporter to make themselves heard and bring the house down in a bid to hang on to our 'Stevie Wonder'.

"The papers have been signed by both parties and it's just waiting on the player," said Furneaux.

"The fans can make a tremendous difference and we want them to turn up the volume on Saturday and let him know how we feel.

"We're right behind this campaign and we've got three weeks to try and persuade him to sign on the dotted line.

"If we could get the money together we'd like to buy him because he's made a tremendous impact here."

To join the Keep Kabba campaign, text your messages to.

Vodaphone or O2 users: 800 86. Calls cost 30p (proceeds to the Future of Youth).

T-Mobile and Orange users: 07780 953576. Normal text rates apply.

Please leave your name and town.

Or e-mail us at sport@grimsbytelegraph.co.uk or fax us on 01472 372257.

It wasn't me: I don't think you know what you are talking about it. Kabba should be back at Palace banging goals in.

Aren't you the sole member of the Gray fan club?

It wasn't me!
01-11-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by local lad
It wasn't me: I don't think you know what you are talking about it. Kabba should be back at Palace banging goals in.

Aren't you the sole member of the Gray fan club?

What am I talking about?? what the hell you on about???

BTW yeah your right i'm the only memeber of the Gray club!! :S: :S: :S: :S: :S:

wedgetail
01-11-2002, 09:26 PM
In the new economic climate Division 1 clubs like Palace can't really afford to hold on to players 'just in case' any longer. It appears that the plan is to have 4 strikers, for next season, Freedman, Akinbiyi, Johnson and Williams. This means Adebola and Kabba will have to go, and if SJ can manage to get Lady Supporter's info of 250k for Kabba it will be making the best of a bad situation.

Louis
01-11-2002, 09:46 PM

Believe me - we have a better striker already in the reserves who is gunning for his chance and is a more all round player. That plus the fact we have four first team strikers (who are not going to be moved aside whatever you might think) means that something has to give.

I've seen Kabba play, and I think he is much improved this season. He used to run around like a headless chicken. This season, he is an exciting striker. I'd definitely like to give him a run in the Palace squad before selling him. His wages might be lower than some of our other strikers as well.

arussell
02-11-2002, 02:18 AM
This was only because palace were asking for a ridiculous amount for him!

Nonsense.

100k plus is not a ridiculous amount for a second string striker, if anything, it's underselling him and Palace have a tradition of doing that over the years with their young players.

Arsenal managed to con a million out of Coventry for Jay Bothroyd (another of your favourites I believe) when he hadn't even kicked a first team ball.

Part of the point that I was making was that BOTH clubs PASSED on even playing him in their first team whilst he was there.

Beanie
02-11-2002, 10:43 AM
if Kabba gets 20, as he is on track for, we have loaned him out for the season, 20 fewer for us ?
surely a bad management move ? bring a kid up, hits form, flog him off ?????

This sort of "logic" doesn't work. Both Dougie and AJ at this moment have a better scoring record than Kabba. So, if Kabba was at Palace one of the three would not be playing, or at least not playing up front. If we played Kabba with his 6 goals, we would have lost Dougies 7 or AJs 8. By your logic we should be playing Gareth Williams in preference to any of them - because the first team have missed the 9 goals he has scored so far this season.

As for bad management - what you describe seems like sound management for a club like Palace. Develop young players, take the best of them into the first team, sell the "second tier" for reasonable if not sensational sums. It can be argued who we sell and who we keep, but the principle seems spot on to me.

ozeagle
02-11-2002, 10:59 AM

yes, i have, i saw him smash home the winner with a very unpalace like first time shot up at deepdale on opening day, i also saw him look extremely lively at our first home game when TF finally brought him on...

i'm not saying he's the DB, the fact is, he should be scoring for us and not grimsby, after all, competition is good....might buck Dougie's ideas up..

;)

Santos-er
02-11-2002, 11:01 AM
We shouldn't let Kabba go when we have that useless lump Adebola. I'd happily give Adebola to Grimsby and pay them 100k. No sense in selling a kid we have developed who is just starting to find his feet at first team level to keep a post 30 has-been (or never-was). Kabba was banging them in left, right and centre for the reserves last season so is it such a surprise he's carried it on in a team who are probably as good as our reserves?

ozeagle
02-11-2002, 11:10 AM
santos-er....
e-bola is a log, past it after injuries, one of TF's mates.
kabba, young and promising, cult figure now at Grimsby.

also agreed about Macs..

:eek:

Al From Bromley
02-11-2002, 11:26 AM
You don't half come out with some funny comments sometimes oz! :)

Waht a difference a few months makes

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18747&highlight=Kabba

pete eagle
02-11-2002, 11:32 AM
Who is this 30+er you are talking about?

dannyturner
02-11-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Bumgas
:D :D :D

Dear Mr Groves,

I am sorry to have to inform you that we are recalling the 'Kabba' model you have had on trial. This due to development problems.

As you are aware the 'Kabba' was only supposed to score goals in matches that you lost. It was not designed nor intended to help you win games and get your a*se out of the relegation sling.

We are able to offer the 'Adebola' as a replacement but this is currently supplied without any talent functions whatsoever and should therefore be more conducive to assisting with your slide into the 2nd Division.

The heading, trapping, ball control, passing and scoring functions have all been disabled on this model. However should you be able to get any or all of these functions working we'll be happy to take it back.

YS
TF

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/fart.gif

Well done. Apart from some of my own hilarious threads this is a BBS comedy classic.:D :D :D

Walrus
04-11-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Santos-er
We shouldn't let Kabba go when we have that useless lump Adebola. I'd happily give Adebola to Grimsby and pay them 100k. No sense in selling a kid we have developed who is just starting to find his feet at first team level to keep a post 30 has-been (or never-was). Kabba was banging them in left, right and centre for the reserves last season so is it such a surprise he's carried it on in a team who are probably as good as our reserves?

Missing the point.

If you go with 3 up front at Palace, Kabba would not replace Adebola. Kabba would replace either AJ or Doug.

When Ade recovers, Adebola drops out of the picture and you may well see Gareth Williams used as the backup for AJ/Doug.

We also have Leesaw up-and-coming in the reserves. Despite his current run of form, I think Kabba IS surplus to requirements, which is probably why he's out on loan playing first team footie and attracting potential buyers.

sydnsteve
04-11-2002, 12:39 PM
I don't think Kabba is surplus to our requirements, but it is clear the management do so he will go. End of story.

local lad
04-11-2002, 01:36 PM
What am I talking about?? what the hell you on about???

BTW yeah your right i'm the only memeber of the Gray club!! :S: :S: :S: :S: :S:

Sorry, thought you were someone else.....no offence meant. Gray is a very good player, but Kabba should be given a chance at Palace.....

local playa
04-11-2002, 04:02 PM
When I think to some of the best times at palace in recent years, we were always sending players out on loan who did well at their temporary clubs. When they came back to us they came back to a squad doing fairly well. We are not a premier club who has nursery clubs to help us bring players on. With more and more players graduating from the academy we will see more of our young players going out on loan to gain 1st team experience, it also helps financially as the club who has taken on the loan player pays their wages for the time the player spends there. I think Rubins and possibly Black would benefit from a loan spell somewhere too.

Beanie
04-11-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
I don't think Kabba is surplus to our requirements, but it is clear the management do so he will go. End of story.

In terms of "you can only score against the opposition you get" Kabba is currently the fourth most prolific scorer "at" Palace this season after Gareth Williams, AJ and Dougie. He is also behind the three of them in goals per game. He probably does do better in the "Spectacular goal" stakes.

Is the fourth of four similar strikers surplus to requiremenst? At a club in Palace's financial position I think he may well be. The only real question is who is fourth - Kabba or Williams. I certainly haven't seen enough of either to make a decision, but I suspect we don't need, or more likely can't afford, both.

Duke
05-11-2002, 01:47 PM
Kabba @ Grimsby = Big Fish in a small pond
Kabba @ Palace = tiddler in a slightly bigger pond.

he wouldnt get a game at the moment so leave him be up there. If he does alright over the season then see how it goes with another contract.

He has been at palace a number of years and hasn't really broken into the first team and by all accounts has been pretty poor in the 2nd string.

matthew
07-11-2002, 05:02 PM
First Division strugglers Grimsby Town have been hit by Crystal Palace's decision to recall top scorer Steve Kabba from his loan spell at Blundell Park.

The 21-year-old forward has scored six times for Paul Groves's side and was due to stay with the Mariners until November 23 -ironically, when Grimsby face Palace.

But Scotland international striker Dougie Freedman was injured in the Eagles' 3-0 win over Coventry in the League Cup.

And, with 2.1 million forward Ade Akinbiyi also out, Palace boss Trevor Francis has decided to bring Kabba back to Selhurst Park early.

Kabba has scored twice each in the Mariners' 3-0 win over Ipswich and the remarkable 6-5 triumph over Burnley.

But he now misses Grimsby's game against fellow relegation strugglers Stoke and the match against Preston.

themarine
07-11-2002, 05:07 PM
KABBA IS BACK HELLO, HELLO
KABBA IS BACK HELLO, HELLO!!!:p

Ian of Chatham
07-11-2002, 05:12 PM
I see on a Grimsby site they are not too pleased, They are even slagging off Francis more than we are!

Ruskin Old Boy
08-11-2002, 09:58 AM
Things are so bad at Grimbo that their manager was going to play for the reserves this week as he may have to name himself as one of the substitutes for their game against Stoke.

brighton_eagle
08-11-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Ian of Chatham
I see on a Grimsby site they are not too pleased, They are even slagging off Francis more than we are!

Well tough ****. He's not a Grimsby player, he's a Palace player, and he's coming back (perhaps to be sold!!)